Thanksgiving Prayers From St. Basil…

A few prayers from St. Basil.

On Giving Thanks to the Creator:

“As thou takest thy seat at table, pray. As thou liftest the loaf, offer thanks to the Giver. When thou sustainest thy bodily weakness with wine, remember Him Who supplies thee with this gift, to make thy heart glad and to comfort thy infirmity. Has thy need for taking food passed away? Let not the thought of thy Benefactor pass away too.

As thou art putting on thy tunic, thank the Giver of it. As thou wrappest thy cloak about thee, feel yet greater love to God, Who alike in summer and in winter has given us coverings convenient for us, at once to preserve our life, and to cover what is unseemly. Is the day done? Give thanks to Him Who has given us the sun for our daily work, and has provided for us a fire to light up the night and to serve the rest of the needs of life…”

On Eating:

“When you sit down to eat, pray. When you eat bread, do so thanking Him for being so generous to you. If you drink wine, be mindful of Him who has given it to you for your pleasure and as a relief in sickness. When you dress, thank Him for His kindness in providing you with clothes. When you look at the sky and the beauty of the stars, throw yourself at God’s feet and adore Him who in His wisdom has arranged things in this way. Similarly, when the sun goes down and when it rises, when you are asleep or awake, give thanks to God, who created and arranged all things for your benefit, to have you know, love and praise their Creator.”

On Worldly Troubles:

“Troubles are usually the brooms and shovels that smooth the road to a good man’s fortune; and many a man curses the rain that falls upon his head, and knows not that it brings abundance to drive away hunger.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Thanksgiving Prayers From St. Basil…

1. Queensland Kel says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all. What a wonderful holiday – celebrating and being thankful for all your blessings big and small.

2. H.R. says:

Menagerie, I was not familiar with anything regarding St. Basil. Those quotes were quite appropriate and worthy of contemplation at this time of Thanksgiving.

Thank you.

• frankie says:

Thank you, Menagerie.

Over on the website howtobeyourowndetective.com. the webmaster posted Abraham Lincoln’s proclamation making Thanksgiving a national holiday.

Blessed Thanksgiving to the Treepers and to Americans everywhere.

3. Nigella says:

A blessed and Happy Thanksgiving

• Too Real says:

George Washington’s Thanksgiving Proclamation
      [New York, 3 October 1789]

By the President of the United States of America. a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor–and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me “to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.”

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be–That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks–for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation–for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war–for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed–for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted–for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions–to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually–to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed–to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord–To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us–and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New-York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

4. Joe Blow says:

God bless all the wonderful Treepers! Happy Thanksgiving!

Psalm 100

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!
    Serve the Lord with gladness!
    Come into his presence with singing!

Know that the Lord, he is God!
    It is he who made us, and we are his;
    we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
    and his courts with praise!
    Give thanks to him; bless his name!

For the Lord is good;
    his steadfast love endures forever,
    and his faithfulness to all generations.

• jsbachlover says:

I had to memorize this Psalm when I was about eight years old, at Thanksgiving time at my Christian school. I still know it by heart and I still associate it with Thanksgiving Day.
      (And from the sublime to the slightly less sublime: I also associate this Psalm with the potato-body turkey, with toothpick and paper head and tail and wings that we made on Thanksgiving Wednesday to take home to our mothers!)

5. shark24 says:

Even though I am about 9000 miles away from home in SoCal on a work assignment, I have so much to be thankful for. One of them is Skype that I will be using later today to wish a happy Thanksgiving to my beautiful wife and family. I also give thanks to you Menagerie for your always beautiful posts and to Sundance for running the most positive and uplifting political site on the Internet. Happy Thanksgiving and God bless from Arabia!

6. Maryann says:

Thank you for these prayers. It grounds us to what is truly important in the daily living. Have a blessed Thanksgiving to all.

7. chicagodeplorable says:

My mom, now 98 years young, was baptized at a Chicago Parish named St Basil! Thank you, Menagerie, for this beautiful post.

This will be my second Thanksgiving with my family of Treepers, and I have been giving thanks on a daily basis all year that I managed to stumble across this site. You have no idea how much you ALL have helped me realize that the horrible past administrations do not truly reflect the America that we KNOW we can be again. It is so heartening to know that I’m not alone in this quest; I’ve got PDJT, Melania, and my fellow Deplorables who will never give in and go back to what we had suffered through.

Sundance, I think God threw away the mold when He created you, but I am ever so grateful you are here for us. Though much of this is still way over my decrepit head, I trust and value your analyses. Believe me, I trust no other site.

Though I’m old enough to remember “the good old days”, my adult kids are in shock as they watch the transformation taking place. I now have hope that their futures will be what I had dreamed for them and for my grandchildren.

Happy Thanksgiving!

8. marie Rotunno says:

Happy Thanksgiving!

9. pmdea says:

Melania Trump moved to tears during worship song Jan 2017.
    Wonderful couple….
    A Wise Man Chooses a Good Wife…

GOD is soooo Good, and knows exactly what he is doing….for all the doubts we have at times, lets keep praying in Faith with a Grateful Heart…to see Yahweh Majesty Manifest…

• ladypenquin says:

First Lady Melania and President Trump are bringing back our culture…and it’s driving the Left crazy. Americans had forgotten what really made our country special – God, Country, Family, etc. Communism has to erase everything in order to have people only look to the atheist STATE for their survival.

Now we’re reminded about our Great God who has watched over us. We can say Merry Christmas and the Left finds itself sputtering in anger, but still losing. It just took backbone – which the president gave us.

10. A2 says:

Happy Thanks Giving, This date 23 November, is also the Saints’ Feast day of Father Miguel Agustin Pro Juarez. Who was executed by the Mexican government that was persecuting the Catholic faith. At his death he cried, “Viva Cristo Rey”, ‘Long live Christ the King”.

Amen.

11. What a beautiful thread. Happy Thanksgiving! It is my favorite holiday of the year.

And this year, I have so much to be thankful for. I could make a list, but I think the one that we all have in common was the opportunity to work hard, to vote and to win a position for the first real president in almost 30 years.

Count your blessings deplorables….. You understand the love of basic, simple things: honesty. morals, family, the love for those of like patriotic mind and the love of God.

What a wonderful Internet community that I am blessed to be a part of!

• Charlie says:

People like you are our blessing! The American spirit is alive again! POTUS has given the wind in our sail moving us together and giving us strength to speak out and for America. America’s blessing this “renewed” inner strength.
      Happy Thanksgiving!

12. Deplorable Didah says:

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Treepers from Japan. I enjoy reading your comments and learning from your insight. I am going to a Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday with some other like minded Americans. Have a great holiday weekend.

13. shirley49 says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

14. ZurichMike says:

Amen

15. Deb says:

As I count my blessings, The Treehouse is near the top of my list. I wish you all a blessed and happy Thanksgiving. I pray for everyone who posts here. I pray that God blesses all the wonderful Treepers who fight for truth. I even pray for the trolls, lol. May God give them the wisdom to see their folly and convert.

God bless America!

16. georgiafl says:

We sang this beloved hymn last Sunday:

Now Thank We All Our God

1 Now thank we all our God
    with heart and hands and voices,
    who wondrous things has done,
    in whom his world rejoices;
    who from our mothers’ arms
    has blessed us on our way
    with countless gifts of love,
    and still is ours today.

2 O may this bounteous God
    through all our life be near us,
    with ever joyful hearts
    and blessed peace to cheer us,
    to keep us in his grace,
    and guide us when perplexed,
    and free us from all ills
    of this world in the next.

3 All praise and thanks to God
    the Father now be given,
    the Son and Spirit blest,
    who reign in highest heaven
    the one eternal God,
    whom heaven and earth adore;
    for thus it was, is now,
    and shall be evermore.

Translator: Catherine Winkworth; Author: Martin Rinckart (1636)
    Tune: NUN DANKET
    About author and translator: https://hymnary.org/text/now_thank_we_all_our_god

From my favorite hymns collection:

17. My heart is singing today. My blessing are so abundant. Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Treepers. I’m thankful that God heard and answered our prayers and gave us President Donald John Trump and that we have an ally in Sundance who HAS to be an Angel. Prayers for all of us from the Great State of Alabama! XOXOXO

• ladypenquin says:

God Bless you, especially in the Great State of Alabama. Praying for good outcome in a couple of weeks. May you all stand strong against the winds of fascism.

No carpetbagging in that state!!!

18. georgiafl says:

Dear Menagerie,

Thank you for that beautiful prayer of St. Basil! The ancient prayers are so powerful, and the saints are like spiritual friends, witnesses, guiding lights, speaking to us from long ago.

I had (on another computer) a deliverance prayer by an ancient saint that was mostly praise of GOD’s power – awesome, unsurpassable, unequalled, eternal power.

The saints are examples and reminders, many martyred for their goodness (that is what a really martyr is, and not some killer of innocents), that our trust, our love and our thanks is to be primarily focused on our GOD…first and foremost and forever.

19. Blue Moon says:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Enjoy and revel in this special day. May GOD bless each and everyone of us.

20. Frank says:

Happy Thanksgiving, CTH. We’ve got a lot to be thankful for. A warm and peaceful house, good food, a sense of belonging, and good health.

21. AMEN!

Thank you, Menagerie for these prayers. God bless all you Treepers and Sundance. May God bless our President and his family, our country, our wonderful people, those who are on duty today away from their families, and those who are alone.

22. tuskyou says:

Happy Thanksgiving!
    May we continue to be thankful for our many blessings each and every day.

23. Minnie says:

Happy Thanksgiving to all ❤️

Menagerie, thank you for the beautiful prayers, reminding us of all our Creator has done for us.

God Bless Us, Everyone!

🙏Faith and Family❤️

24. Carrie2 says:

I could not sleep any night without thanking God for my life, what I have learned and done, for the good in my life in spite of bad as well, and then I can sleep like a baby. Thanksgiving is good but Christmas is the real holiday for me. Might even add that in Chinese Medicine I relate the Universal Qi (Chi) to be God from whence comes all and in whose image we are made (or as they call it the Energy that is in all of us).

25. ladypenquin says:

We are indeed Blessed. Oppression lifted. I feel like the Lord heard our cries in the wilderness and DID send Donald Trump to aid us. We are thankful for this past year, this coming Christmas will have even greater joy, and how wonderful it is to share with such marvelous people as my fellow Treepers.

A Happy Thanksgiving to all. Even to those who are in sorrowful times, know that there are people who care and no one is alone.

If you come to this Refuge – you are not alone.

26. pacnwbel says:

A year ago my heart just about gave up the ghost, but marvelous medical technology intervened and kept the old engine ticking. Last year a dear friend not only invited us to her thanksgiving dinner but also picked us up took us home. I give thanks for my angel of a friend and for being able to cook dinner for eight assorted widowed and orphaned friends today. Echoing other Treepers i too am thankful to Sundance et al for preserving my sanity in these trying political times.

27. Lucille says:

“Christian Origins of Thanksgiving – EWTN Vaticano”
    Little known fact about the lead-up to the first Thanksgiving.
    From the Eternal Word Television Network YouTube Channel

28. YvonneMarie says:

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃☘️🥔🥖🍇🍪🍨🍾

29. Molly Pitcher says:

Thank you for the lovely post. Happy Thanksgiving Treepers….we are blessed to have this place to meet and share

30. positron1352 says: