Earlier today President Trump spoke candidly with the White House assembly of U.S. Governors about the critical need to re-evaluate their position(s) on trade.  President Trump’s remarks were direct, but also remarkably nuanced toward the audience.  However, if you follow Trump’s process, you’ll note the familiar indications.

Next, far less subtle and yet following along the same predictable process, the Wall Street Journal is reporting President Trump now promoting his economic guru Peter Navarro to be Assistant to The President.   Navarro is a brilliant and strategic trade hawk who has a long track record of supporting the same trade principles as Donald Trump.

A NAFTA decision/announcement looms. ♦ As expected and predicted, a recent phone call by Mexican President Pena Nieto to POTUS Trump didn’t end well. ♦ USTR Lighthizer blasted Canada at the end of round six NAFTA renegotiation. ♦  Placing Pete Navarro inside the circle puts him directly in the right place to speak on behalf of President Trump for an upcoming announcement.   All of these NAFTA exit indicators are great news.

Our wolverine team is growing.  Now we have Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Asst. To POTUS Peter Navarro, all assembled.

WASHINGTON—The White House plans to promote an adviser known for his hawkish views on trade policy, giving economic nationalists a stronger voice in internal debates as the Trump administration nears decisions on high-profile trade issues.

Peter Navarro, an economist who helped shape Donald Trump’s 2016 protectionist campaign platform, will be named an assistant to the president, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Mr. Navarro began Mr. Trump’s presidency with broad influence and regular access to the Oval Office but his role was quickly limited after he clashed with the aides who oppose his views on trade deficits and multilateral trade agreements.

The move to elevate Mr. Navarro comes as the White House is nearing decisions on several high-profile trade matters.

The administration faces an April deadline on whether to impose broad-based steel and aluminum tariffs in the name of national security. Officials are also completing an investigation on widespread complaints that China improperly forces U.S. companies to turn over valuable intellectual property, a probe that is expected to result in significant economic sanctions against Beijing.

It is unclear exactly how Mr. Navarro’s role will change, but the promotion is likely to give Mr. Navarro a more regular role in trade debates and meetings at the White House, according to the person familiar with the matter, a trade expert who has discussed the move with White House officials.

“This gives Peter a more formal seat at the table when trade and manufacturing policies are discussed,” this person said. “That’s something that has been in question the last six months.” (link)

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Canada, China, Decepticons, Donald Trump, Economy, Election 2018, European Union, Legislation, media bias, Mexico, NAFTA, President Trump, Press Secretary - Trump, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, US dept of agriculture, US Treasury, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

219 Responses to NAFTA Watch – President Trump Promotes America-First Trade Expert Peter Navarro…

1. I would like to thank Justin Trudeau. I now know what a neutered human male looks like.

2. TheWanderingStar says:

“Navarro is a brilliant and strategic trade hawk…”
    …”Our wolverine team is growing.”

A wolverine with hawk wings – awesome!

3. daughnworks247 says:

I do business in China/Brazil/India/Turkey/Europe on a daily basis and have for about 15 years.
    For over a decade, at least once a week I scream and curse, throw things, etc., frustrated with US Trade Policy and my hands being tied.
    Treepers, I promise you, a dozen of my girlfriends could have handled US Trade policy better than Bush/Obama.
    No kidding.
    I’ve spent thousands of hours pounding Vodka/Bourbon/Beers with brilliant business owners (my customers) trying to figure out a way to bring the business home and every one of those guys were smarter than me, had more money, and felt the same frustration.
    And then, Trump was elected.
    I saw grown men cry………. happy tears.
    But I never imagined, in my wildest of all wild dreams, we would end up with a crew like Ross, Lighthizer, Mnuchin, Tillerson, and now, Peter Navarro.

The clouds have lifted and the Trade Gods have descended from Mt. Olympus.
    I’ve never seen anything like it in my lifetime and it brings me to tears.
    I’m so happy with President Trump.
    Making the economy work, lighting all the boilers, and correcting the real injustices of bad trade policy will make EVERYTHING else possible.

4. cdr164bn says:

You learn a lot from reading Sundance every day. I go here last because I want to savor the anticipation. One of the things he taught me is to look for the dots to be connected later. Here are some dots I’ve noticed in the last few days:

There is talk of going hard on steel and aluminum tariffs. One of the Russian oligarchs tied to the Steele dossier is a huge aluminum supplier. Hmmmmm, there might be a link there. Play with the Donald and get your ass kicked.

The President just announced that it is going to hit companies that are working with North Korea as an increase in sanction pressure. Probably most of these companies are Chinese. This is another dot where the Donald is kicking China in the ass both for North Korea and for NAFTA purposes.

Many say he plays multi level chess. I think I only noticed a few of these chess moves and there are probably lots more if you are watching. We are living in interesting times…..

5. I thank the good Lord again for this awesome web and the wonderfully gifted Brains that bring Great Truths to LIGHT !
    I continue to Pray for the safety and well being of PDJT…..his family….and America..
    Amen

6. amwick says:

Maybe tinfoil? Just sayin’

7. There’s one Trudeau who knows the score.

8. tonyE says:

“Losing” Navarro to the WH was a big blow to the quality of the UCI Faculty.

It amazes me that such a clear thinker would have been allowed to teach at UC.

9. jmclever says:

The cleaner is such a ray of sunshine every time they post /s

10. Jenny R. says:

Unless of course this helps to increase domestic sales — America is the largest and richest market in the world…everybody wants it; everybody needs it. The manufacturers could take this opportunity to restructure and possibly grow…they’ve just gotten too used to doing things the old-fashioned way.
    Plus: some foreign companies may decide to shift production to the U.S. to avoid tariffs…the workers aren’t going to care if they work for Mitsubishi or Ford, just as long as they are working…and if they get work, they will be more inclined to support Trump.
    Same goes for the ag industry — they’re neck deep in international corporate thinking (and hiring illegals and visa infractions…and turning a blind eye to all of the fraud, etc.)….they can roll with the changes as it were and not feel too much of a hit (they are already getting a helping hand with the measures taken within the EPA)…or they can stomp their not-so-pretty little feet, refuse to restructure, and take a beating (at which point it may be easier for smaller operations to seize some of the domestic market).
    American workers will not care…as long as they have work…and ultimately the politicians are going to have to worry about what the American workers are going to vote for if they want to stay in office and reap the rewards of the same.
    But I get you: foresight is not something either businessmen nor politicians have in great supply anymore….they may decide to derail the train rather than get on it…in which case I think they’ll eventually need to worry about something a little more…worrisome…than their stock portfolios.

• Jenny R. says:

as for the devaluation of the CAD and the peso: it can serve to keep those two countries afloat (provided they don’t step into if further with the U.S.; so, a lesson in realpolitik courtesy of Uncle Sam) and it will encourage the Chinese to spend their money 😉