Attorney General William Barr delivered stunning, albeit obviously honest, remarks during congressional testimony today in response to Democrat Senator Jeanne Shaheen about his intent to review prior intelligence activities in targeting the Trump campaign.

Before getting to the video and transcript, it is important to note how this line of questioning surfaces.  The professional political apparatus, primarily Democrats – but also Republicans, who participated in the ‘soft coup’ effort are attempting to gauge the landscape of their risk by identifying AG Barr’s intention.  This line of questioning is NOT organic or random; it is deeply purposeful and scripted. You can smell the fear.

Shaheen is being asked by allies within the Administrative state, including interests no longer holding political office, to do advanced query…. this is political reconnaissance intended to give corrupt officials and media allies the background to: (a) scale their risk; and (b) plan their defense narrative.  They are nervous now. Very nervous.

Here’s the important transcript, (all emphasis mine):

Senator Shaheen: News just broke, today, that you have a special team looking into why the FBI opened an investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 elections. I wonder if you can share with this committee: who is on that team; why you felt the need to form that kind of a team; and what you intend to be the scope of their investigation?

AG William Barr: Yeah, I, uh, as I said in my confirmation hearing, I am going to be reviewing both the genesis and the conduct of intelligence activities directed at the Trump campaign during 2016. And, uh, alot of this has already been investigated, and a substantial portion of this has been investigated, and is being investigated, by the office of the inspector general at the department.  But one of the things I want to do is pull together all the information from the investigations that have gone on, including on the Hill and the department, and see if there are any remaining questions to be addressed.

Shaheen:  Can you share with us why you feel the need to do that?

Barr: Well, for the same reason we are worried about foreign influence in elections we want to make sure that, uh, during an election, I think spying on a political campaign is a big deal. It’s a big deal.

The generation I grew up in, which is the Vietnam war period, people were all concerned about spying on anti-war people and so forth by the government; and there were a lot of rules put in place to ensure there was an adequate basis for, before our law enforcement agencies get involved in political surveillance.  I’m not suggesting that those rules were violated, but I think it’s important to look at that; and I’m not just talking about the FBI necessarily, but the intelligence agencies more broadly.

Shaheen: So your not, your not suggesting though that spying occurred?

Barr: I don’t, well, I guess you could, I think there’s that spying did occur. Yes, I think spying did occur.

LONG PAUSE OF SILENCE

Shaheen: Wow, let me, uh…

Barr: But the question is: whether it was predicated. Adequately predicated. And I’m not suggested that it wasn’t adequately predicated, but I need to explore that.

I think it’s my obligation, congress is usually very concerned about intelligence agencies and law enforcement agencies staying in their proper lane, and I want to make sure that happened; we have a lot of rules about that.

And, I want to say that I’ve said I’m reviewing this, I am going to, I haven’t set up a team yet but I do have, I have in mind having some colleagues help me pulling this information all together, and let me know if there’s some areas that should be looked at.

And I also want to make clear this is not launching an investigation of the FBI.  Frankly, to the extent that there were issues at the FBI, I do not view it as a problem that’s endemic to the FBI. I think there was probably a failure among a group of leaders there, at the upper echelon; and so I don’t like to hear attacks about the FBI, because I think the FBI is an outstanding organization, and I think that Chris Wray is a great partner for me and I’m very pleased that he’s there as the director.

And if it becomes necessary to look over some former official activities, I expect that I’ll be relying heavily on Chris, and work closely with him in looking at that information. But, that’s what I’m doing, I feel I have an obligation to make sure that government power is not abused; I think that’s one of the principle roles of the attorney general.

This entry was posted in 4th Amendment, 6th Amendment, Abusive Cops, AG Bill Barr, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, CIA, Clinton(s), Conspiracy ?, Decepticons, Deep State, Dem Hypocrisy, Dept Of Justice, Donald Trump, Donald Trump Transition, Election 2016, Election 2020, FBI, IG Report Clinton Investigation, IG Report FISA Abuse, IG Report McCabe, Legislation, media bias, Nancy Pelosi, Notorious Liars, NSA, President Trump, Professional Idiots, Russia, Spygate, Spying, THE BIG UGLY, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized, White House Coverup. Bookmark the permalink.

573 Responses to AG William Barr: “Yes, I think spying did occur” on Trump Campaign… (Video and Transcript)

1. Troublemaker10 says:

2. joeknuckles says:

Anybody who attacks or criticizes Barr for investigating the spying on the Trump campaign needs to be investigated for obstruction of justice. They need to be dragged before congress, ruined financially and have their families threatened.

• spren says:

That is so true and apropos. These morons are too stupid to see the irony in their own objections they are raising. If we have no crimes to investigate, we’ll fabricate some to justify our so doing. But if there are very apparent crimes, to investigate them is harmful to our institutions! The spying that obviously took place isn’t the issue…It’s calling that criminal activity spying that is the real danger.

As disgusting as all of this is, let them keep going on their present course. They are handing us a landslide in all branches for 2020.

• USMCLt says:

Mueller has certainly provided the precedent for doing just that. This is the morality of the other side, so I see no problem applying their moral principles against them. On the playground, two little boys get into a shoving match. One of the boys, sensing he’s losing the match, punches the other in the mouth. Well, now it’s a real fight, a war, so now the recipient of the punch to the mouth is entitled to deck the aggressor. We need to stop playing games with these people. They are most certainly playing for keeps!

• MelH says:

“Sedition” , which is what the crime is, is punishable by 20 years in prison and a monetary fine as well. By the way, this is a link to the West Wing Daily, short read you can subscribe to here:

• Moon Dog says:

Don’t forget the predawn raid with dozens of swat people and a few reporters who just show up.

3. Payday says:

Hopefully this is the right clip. Barr is unflappable.

• Payday says:

This is simply hilarious how utterly frustrated Van Holden is.

• Bob says:

Democrats on this committee acting surprise about a spying claim are either liars, (meaning they know there was but are just acting they are shocked) or they just haven’t been paying attention to what actually occurred. My feeling is they are liars. They know full well what went down.

• Troublemaker10 says:

“No means no”. Lol. 😁

• Cam Heck says:

Why didn’t Barr just say ” Obviously, as you keep pointing out, I’ve already come my conclusion. What part of that are you having difficulty understanding? “

4. Troublemaker10 says:

5. WSB says:

“Shaheen: Wow, let me, uh…”

I SOOO wish Barr would have allowed Shaheen to continue her thought. Lost to history.

I suspect she was saved…no holes barred.

6. mnwild1961 says:

and now the other shoe drops. This is the point at where the tables start to turn. An official admission that something doesn’t seem right and an investigation is necessary to find out what happened.

7. Hopper Creek says:

Shaheen was really stunned ! Like a rat caught in a trap ,. Podesta s in New Zealand, workind with the socialist president on reworking the extradition laws ? Bransons and Clintons buying Islands in the Bahamahs ? These guys are plannind their escape.. What about the Warners and other Dem and Repub politition traitors,…Will Soros bail them out , ?
    my popcorn machine is working overtime !

8. Clyde says:

Would Admiral Mike Rogers who visited Trump Tower be called by Barr to testify.
    Have not heard his name and the actions he
    took are not being mentioned.
    Would not his testimony be vital.

• plane of the ecliptic says:

Amen Clyde,
      This is Witness #1, and I guess that is why he is cloistered somewhere in a safe house.
      He was in charge of the most powerful information gathering organization on the planet and smelled the rats. So glad he went to the then Candidate Trump. There has been a lot of tip toeing around the fact this week “was the spying legal?”, yadda yadda. They all damn well know it was not legal because Rogers would never have gone to Trump Towers if that was a legit spying operation!!!

9. John Titor says:

IF there had been any Russia collision or any other dirt on PDJT we would have known about it at least 2 years ago. Same with anything in his taxes.Think Obama did not have the IRS working against him as well as the Intell agencies? He weaponized them on the TEA party. Think about it? Everyone has been leaking like a sieve. They would either have stopped the special counsel; earlier with recommendations to prosecute and impeach and/or leaked anything derogatory. Tides are turning, finally.

10. Troublemaker10 says:

11. John-Y128 says:

The torpedo has turned 180 and is returning to its source.

12. Bulldog84 says:

Too bad the video cuts off just where Shaheen starts talking about the executive abusing authority. I’m guessing she thinks she’s talking about POTUS Trump, but we all know the one to worry about was Obama.

Recall Strzok’s text about “POTUS wants to know everything we’re doing.”

13. johnathanc says:

My only concern with Barr’s comments was his positive reference about Chris Wray at the FBI. That weasel is probably destroying evidence already to protect his friends. Wray is NOT to be trusted.

14. Bob says:

Why is Barr’s testimony surprising or considered as some kind of bombshell? Isn’t the purpose of a FISA warrant to conduct surveillance, which lay people call SPYING. Of course they were spying on Trump people. This has been known for a few years. How is whether spying occurred even a legitimate question? What Barr is diplomatically saying is he wants to know if it was justified or not. But we know answer don’t we?

• FishtheDish says:

Yeah I agree – gee there have been books (Bongino, Garrett, Jeanine), this website, Fox News, Reddit, Sara Carter, John Solomon, Byron York, … to many to mention. The information is out there in spades. I think that her line of questioning was to test the risk waters, to let the bad actors get a sense of what is happening now. And BOY IS IT BAD.

• rayvandune says:

Why is it being treated like a bombshell? Simple, it IS a bombshell to the LoFos who haven’t heard anything about surveillance since the media told them that Trump was accusing the FBI of using it against him “without any evidence”. We here cannot imagine the degree to which the most of the incurious public is completely in the dark about the thousands of pages of documents, emails, texts, and transcripts the we know about. The media has painted themselves into a corner by covering up for the coup, just like the traitors did in covering up for Hillary! Both coverups were based on serious miscalculations (and delusions) about which side would win.

15. Micheal Jones says:

I hope he attacks the weakest link, Felonia Von Pantsuit. She does not want to die in prison. She will sell them all out first, including Obama.

16. 8675310 says:

He’s glad to have Chris Wray with him. That’s not good. Wray has been telling people at the FBI offices that he visits, “Protect the brand.” More cover up coming.

17. TomA says:

The upcoming Horowitz report will be the bellwether indicator of future accountability by the coup conspirators. If, as with the prior Clinton email server investigation, it throws up a lot outrage but no representation of criminality, then it will be coverup as usual. Alternately, if it formally establishes a predicate for a criminal investigation, then we can hope for a return to the rule of law. If the former, then a dance of obfuscation, delay, theatrical outrage, and faux rule changes will follow. If the latter, then indictments will be issued beginning this summer.

Barr stands on a precipice. His actions will determine whether a civil revolt must be forthcoming before year-end.

• Cam Heck says:

100% agree. Problem with a cover up this time is that so much more is known by so many more, that only rediscovering that pesky spoon* ain’t really an option any more.

*Credit to Monty Python’s ‘Life of Brian’

18. Lactantius says:

Good heavens! What an epiphany!

It turns out that Attorney General William Barr is the chief executive of the Department of Justice. Who knew? It turns out that he is not “recused” from any jot and twittle of the merest action ever taken by the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Who knew? It turns out that Congress can demand information from the Attorney General which he assesses in terms of the multitude of filters before and when he provides the information. Who knew?

Eric Holder was held in “contempt of Congress” and that resulted in a big “so what?” Congress has “oversight” to the extent that political forces decide to cooperate. Who knew? The Republicans in Congress were thwarted in their DOJ oversight by redacted stuff. Who knew?

William Barr served as Deputy Attorney General for 18 months and became Attorney General for 14 months In the George H. W. Bush presidency. So being the current Attorney General is not his first rodeo. In a month, William Barr will celebrate his 69th birthday; 42 years ago, he graduated from the George Washington University Law School where he earned a J.D. degree with (summa cum laude) highest honor. He worked at the CIA, clerked in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, was Deputy Assistant Director for Legal Policy in the Reagan White House and then served as Deputy Attorney General and Attorney General for President George H. W. Bush.

William Barr is dangerous. He has been at the pinnacle for years and he has not left any messes. He is looking at, perhaps, another decade of high powered service. Half of that decade could be in the Trump administration as Attorney General. The reason he is “dangerous” is because he has zero reason to sully his good name and reputation by lowering himself to games in the political back-stabbing arena. The man is bulletproof because he is a straight arrow who cares more about the rule of law than he does about getting down in the political games and skirmishes. And he has nothing to gain and nothing to lose by being a straight arrow. He is dedicated to being who he already is.

Attorney General William Barr is nobody’s fool. He is entirely free to rebuild the competence of and the confidence in the Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. What better person to do it? Donald J. Trump is not of interest to him. President Donald J. Trump’s office under the Constitution of the United States of America is extremely important to him. He will work to uphold the Constitution and protect and defend it. The various place holders, including Donald J. Trump, are not his concern.

Attorney General William Barr and the people he choses to be on his team have 100% access to every jot and tittle of evidence that has been amassed. He can ask any question and pursue any answer without fear of where it leads. But, most importantly, he can set a straighten-up-and-fly-right message throughout the DOJ that will rattle the insecure and embolden many.

Inspector General Michael Horowitz has had to be extremely careful to balance his investigations with his own future. All career employees test the atmosphere and respond to the prevailing winds. A.G. Barr will not influence the work product of I.G. Horowitz, but A.G. Barr can reassure I.G. Horowitz that “calling a spade a spade” is not detrimental to his tenure.

Radical surgery requires patience, attention to detail, a highly competent team and the time to carry it out.

Who knew? Yogi Berra, that’s who. Yogi said: “You can observe a lot by just looking.”

19. Linda K says:

Lactantius, what a great comment. Well researched and yjought out. I agree with your assessment of William Barr. We are fortunate to have him help us weather this storm.

20. TwoLaine says:

Clapper: We’re focused on a ‘circus’ instead of Russia
    10 Apr 2019

21. TwoLaine says:

Even funnier:

What is the meaning of spying?
    by AC36ZER0 Cooper

22. Finbar O'Shaunnessey says:

Spying is such an ugly word. Shall we say “strategic observational protocols” instead?