CARIBBEAN SEA (NNS) — President Donald J. Trump visited the amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD 3), Oct. 3, to discuss relief efforts in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands with Navy and Marine Corps leadership.  President Trump met with Governor Kenneth Mapp of the US Virgin Islands aboard the Kearsarge:

Ward Room – USS Kearsarge – [Transcript] 2:54 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Okay, thank you very much. I wanted to begin by saying well be leaving tomorrow morning very early from the White House. Well be going to Las Vegas. We will be paying our personal respects and condolences to everybody.

What happened is such a tragedy. So unnecessary — who can believe what happened in Las Vegas. Great love for the people, great love for the people of our country, and I look forward to going tomorrow. The First Lady will be coming with me, and were going to be paying our respects and condolences. Well be leaving early in the morning.

We are here on this great ship today, and I want to thank the admiral; I want to thank the captain very much. Thank you very much. This is some ship. Most people would never know a ship like this exists. This is for helicopters of all sizes and types, and its quite something. And its done a tremendous service for Puerto Rico and for the U.S. Virgin Islands.

And were really — we were so nicely treated by the U.S. Virgin Islands, frankly, over the years. They’re great people, and were helping out.

And we have with us Governor Kenneth Mapp, who has been very generous with what he said about Brock, about everybody at FEMA, the Army, the Navy, the Air Force, the Marines, the Coast Guard, the whole thing. And Kenneth, we very much appreciate your remarks, and I appreciate it very much.

And were really here right now for you. We have — because of the size, the massive size of the airplane, the runways cant handle it. But the runways have now handled it. They’ve been open, and they’re handling a lot of aircraft and a lot of help.

And your people have been very resilient, and they have done a great job. They’re already starting the rebuilding process. And you got hit twice. You were hit very hard.

GOVERNOR MAPP: In 12 days.

THE PRESIDENT: In 12 days, you got hit twice. And Puerto Rico got hit twice. They had a grazing one that actually the United States took a lot of brunt from, and then they got hit by Maria, and that was dead center.

So Kenneth, thank you very much. I very appreciate it. Would you like to say something?

GOVERNOR MAPP: Yes, I would, Mr. President. I want to, on behalf of the people of the Virgin Islands, first, thank you and your entire federal family and federal team of FEMA, of DOD, for all the help that you’ve been providing to the people of the Virgin Islands.

The people of the Virgin Islands asked me to extend the gratitude and appreciation to you. It has hastened our rebuilding.

We want to let our folks and our friends and brothers and sisters in Puerto Rico know that we stand with them. We extend our condolences to the folks in Las Vegas for the tragedy that occurred. But because of your commitment, Mr. President, and the work and the calls that you have made with us and with me, from Irma to now, were now talking about opening schools and cruise ships returning.

We’ve got a lot of work yet to do. We’ve still got roofless homes, and were working with Brock and FEMA to make sure that we take care of those issues. But we have advanced beyond where we were in any of the hurricanes that we’ve experienced. And I just want to really express my gratitude on behalf of the wonderful people of the Virgin Islands to you and your team.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. They are wonderful people too, and I really appreciate that. I feel that were old friends, you know, because weve spoken so many times over the last month. And you are — you have done a terrific job.

GOVERNOR MAPP: Thank you.

THE PRESIDENT: And as you know, your friend, the governor of Puerto Rico happens to be here —

GOVERNOR MAPP: Yes.

THE PRESIDENT: — and a congresswoman representing 3.5 million people in Puerto Rico. And thank you, Jennifer.

GOVERNOR MAPP: And anything — anything at all that we can do to be of help to our friends and our sisters and brothers.

And you know, we celebrate a holiday — a legal holiday — in the U.S. Virgin Islands called Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands Friendship Day. Its in October. So we look forward to having our celebration this year, and have you come over, and meet your friends, and all of the folks that love you in the Virgin Islands.

GOVERNOR ROSSELL: And were here for you as well, Governor.

GOVERNOR MAPP: Thank you.

THE PRESIDENT: Thats very appropriate now, though, maybe more so than ever, really. Thank you very much. And Governor, thank you very much.

GOVERNOR MAPP: Thank you, Mr. President.

END 2:58 P.M. EDT

“This is some ship,” said Trump. “It has done a tremendous service for Puerto Rico and for the U.S. Virgin Islands.”

Kearsarge and the 26th MEU are assisting with relief efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. The Department of Defense is supporting the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the lead federal agency, in helping those affected by Hurricane Maria to minimize suffering and is one component of the overall whole-of-government response effort. (link)

This entry was posted in Big Government, Dem Hypocrisy, Donald Trump, FEMA, media bias, Melania Trump, President Trump, Puerto Rico, Uncategorized, USA, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to President Trump Meets U.S. Virgin Islands Governor Kenneth Mapp Aboard USS Kearsarge…

1. Pam says:

2. dekester. says:

Has America ever had as engaged and genuine a couple in the your W.H. ?

If the RINOS, Dems and the MSM had any shame, they would be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Natural disasters, North Korea, the Middle East. The Russia witch hunt.

Obamacare, Tax reform, DACA etc. etc.

Incredible numbers with unemployment and the surging stock market.

Here is in the tiny Virgin Islands in the company of the ever gracious FLOTUS.

Meanwhile back in D.C. zzzzzzz…the MSM we hate Trump, we hate Trump.

Your President is rendering the A/M nearly irrelevant.

God bless your Lion.

3. sundance says:

4. Michael says:

GAG me with a spoon!
    Mon all da island !@#$% politicians dey be tiefin all da monies! Dats why dey got nothin!

5. MfM says:

“This is some ship,” — smart move by Trump, so many people slip up and call them boats.

Melania is getting in the spirit, it looks like she is wearing a hat from the ship. Trump is back in his USA one on this leg of the trip.

6. tonyE says:

You can see the difference on the faces of those Sailors and Marines… not since Reagan have I seen such respect and happiness.

And how proper, a Marine helicopter lands on a Navy Amphibious Ship. Home away from Home. 😉

7. Janice says:

Thank you Lord!

8. deborah foster says:

Karl “canned ham ” Rove on FOX with his whiteboard criticizing Trump and his PR visit.
    Sure wish he would go away

• Old Lady says:

He’s on that list that I make “go away” any time he shows up where my remote has landed.

• It’s pathetic. everywhere POTUS goes he is so warmly greeted except here in this country….the hatred is a mental illness now. Who cares what Karl Rove has to say…he’s an irrelevant snake.

• fred2w says:

One minor correction to a great post. U.S. Virgin Islands are American territory. So our President is getting the love from Americans in VI.

• magaskook says:

Lived on St. Croix for 12 years. You will not find better people than Cruzans. And a little known fact. The Virgin Islands, per capita, has had the largest participation in our armed forces. I know many Virgin Islanders who proudly served our Country. Virgin Islanders are as American as anyone from the mainland and have all the rights of citizenship, except the right to Vote for President.

• magaskook says:

Karl Rove? That name sounds familiar. I used to spend $120/month on a Dish subscription, but I cancelled it two years ago when I realized that even FOX was nothing but Establishment propaganda. I saved money, time and feel better not being used by the likes of fox. Sure Hannity and Tucker through out the Red Meat, but even that is all by design. Don’t kid yourself………They are on a leash and they know how far they can go.

• benifranlkin says:

Trying to remain relevant after that stunning Big Luther loss in Alabama is tough…Tokyo Rove not taking it well.

• Katherine McCoun says:

How many times does he have to loose before he looses credibility? Why does the press still urn to him as though he speaks for the Republicans?!

9. trumpfan1 says:

why is trump speaking to the black guy? cnn say trump is racist. /s

10. brh82 says:

The Left is using a Melania photo of weeks ago in which she left the WH in black sweater and slacks and heels. They are saying that’s how she is dressed in Puerto Rico, but I hereby swear I will no longer visit the sites of the enemy and report back here, ratting on them. They are cutting off their own feet, I hope, and I wish we had a way to organize as faithfully as they have organized, ALL of them, including HRC and Obama, on the SAME page EVERY day, 1000% spewing hatred.

11. Pam says:

12. annieoakley says:

The President and First Lady are so kind and gracious they inspire everyone. It is in the handshake and the look they give each sailor that I can see they value the individual.

13. Pam says:

14. kate says:

I am surprised the President hasn’t been playing golf during the past few weeks, oops wrong President, my mistake.

15. trumpfan1 says:

these latino why so bad? spread lies.

16. akearn says:

I love that! “This is some ship.” I bet! What a great line. Love my POTUS and FLOTUS more each day.

17. thluckyone says:

Beloved Queen Melania could wear COMBAT BOOTS and still I would adore her… just sayin’…

(good GRIEF could you imagine her in Navy Blue? Or Marine Camo? Or Army OD? Or Coast Guard all Whites? Gal Gadot, I love you darlin’ but you’ve got NOTHIN’ on our LIONESS!) ROWARRRRRR!!

• Justah says:

That landing Marine 1 Landing on the USS Kearsarge was a FIRST – no other President has landed on an Amphibious Assault vessel. They must all the absolutely thrilled. I was so great to see him go down the line and salute each Marine and shake his/her hand.

USS Kearsarge was the first responder to Puerto Rico – they have done some amazing work in all those Islands.

18. Pam says:

• backwoodsgirl123 says:

And Geraldo was nodding his head the entire time! Took him awhile to catch on!

• The Boss says:

Geraldo was out of his mind for a few days. He may have realized he was being played and upped his game. The truth makes a hell of a difference. Let’s see if the Murdoch boys take him to the woodshed for straying from the false narrative.

19. Jimmy Jack says:

Melania has seen so many disasters she has had to add a pair of work boots to her wardrobe. Has she been criticized for her footwear yet?

I have to point out, her makeup looks flawless! She is really lovely.