AG Bill Barr Chooses to Protect Rosenstein Over Full Disclosure in Flynn Case…

Regardless of whether you would support or not support the vigorous defense of Michael Flynn, I would hope we would all agree a fulsome discovery of all relevant background material is a cornerstone of justice appropriately applied.

With that in mind it is concerning how Attorney General Bill Barr would prefer to keep DOJ conduct against Flynn hidden from public review.  Consider…

♦Would it be valuable for Federal Judge Emmet Sullivan to know the FBI was discussing how to “lock in” charges against [Flynn] in a “formal chargeable way”?

(text message link)

♦Would it be valuable for Federal Judge Emmet Sullivan to consider how Special Counsel Robert Mueller requested DAG Rod Rosenstein to provide leverage against [Mike Flynn Jr] to coerce a plea against Michael Flynn in the second scope memo?

(page 12 and 13 of Weissman report)

♦Would it be relevant for the purposes of Judge Emmet Sullivan to consider how former National Security Advisor Susan Rice was portraying Lt. General Flynn, as a target for intelligence community concern, prior to President Trump taking office?

[…]  From a national security perspective, however, President Obama said he wants to be sure that, as we engage with the incoming team, we are mindful to ascertain if there is any reason that we cannot share information fully as it relates to Russia.

[Redacted Classified Section of Unknown length]

The President [Obama] asked Comey to inform him if anything changes in the next few weeks that should affect how we share classified information with the incoming team. Corney said he would. (link)

~ Susan Rice Memo to File

♦ Would it be important for Flynn’s defense to have the full and unredacted text messages of the investigators and accusers against Michael Flynn as they plotted their strategy?

♦ Would it be important to know what “classified briefing material” would be “in the interests of fairness” to Lt. Gen Michael Flynn?

If you find yourself saying: yes, regardless of support for or against Flynn, it would be fair and in the correct course of justice for all relevant evidence to be known to both the public and defense….  Then ask yourself why isn’t that view held by AG Bill Barr?

Attorney General Bill Barr was granted the power to declassify all five of the examples cited above which directly relate to the prior DOJ and FBI motives in their investigation of Michael Flynn…. there are many, many more.  Yet, AG Bill Barr has done nothing to provide that fulsome discovery.

AG Bill Barr doesn’t need a court order to provide the truth.  Currently the prosecution of Michael Flynn is directly under Bill Barr’s authority.  Heck, the President of the United States has authorized Bill Barr to declassify any/all material that may be needed in the honest search or truth and justice.  And Bill Barr has done absolutely nothing.

But it’s actually worse.  AG Barr has gone to court to argue he is under no obligation to provide the declassified material to anyone; for anything.

In a September 2019 court filing, surrounding a FOIA case seeking access to the fully unredacted Carter Page FISA application, the DOJ clarified the position of the DOJ as it pertains to President Trump’s May 2019 declassification authority. (pdf available here)

The DOJ highlights that President Trump did not order AG William Barr to declassify anything.  Instead, according to the official position of the DOJ, President Trump “delegated authority” to the Attorney General to determine *if* anything should be declassified:

[Source – pdf]

At the time of the DOJ position I stated “whether AG Bill Barr does actually declassify anything is open to debate.  The current odds remain slightly less than 50/50; however, those odds could diminish significantly if the impeachment effort is successful.”

In hindsight I hate my own prescience.

On Wednesday President Trump will be impeached by the House of Representatives.  One of those articles of impeachment declares President Trump is guilty of “obstruction of congress.”

There’s a strong likelihood that after the impeachment vote President Trump will not be able to declassify anything lest he be accused of obstructing his own impeachment.  This is the same legal catch-22 President Trump faced in September 2018 when DOJ Rod Rosenstein advised (threatened) the President that any action he took at the time to declassify material would be considered “obstruction” of the Mueller investigation.

Strange how those legal Lawfare principles seem to resurface in a circular fashion, and always to the detriment of the person seeking justice.  Thus the purpose behind the name “Lawfare”; using the law in political warfare.

Returning to the current case in point, it has seemed clear from his decisions that AG Bill Barr was focused on protecting former Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein from the consequences of his narrow-minded efforts throughout 2017 and 2018.  The lack of action to declassify material related to the prosecution of Lt. General Michael Flynn seems to indicate that protecting Rosenstein is a higher priority that stopping an injustice against Flynn.

This is the state of our union in 2019.

I don’t pay attention to the distracting high-constitutional words of AG Barr, I look at his actions….  By withholding information from the public; and specifically by withholding the scope memos that authorized the investigations of 2016, 2017 and 2018; the United States Attorney General is willing to let a man hang simply to protect his institutional comrade.

With that institutional disposition clearly evident, what do you think AG Bill Barr will do when it comes to hiding evidence of institutional corruption that would clearly support President Donald Trump?

In criminal law, seminal jurist William Blackstone said: “It is better that ten guilty persons escape than one innocent suffer.”

This entry was posted in 4th Amendment, 6th Amendment, Abusive Cops, AG Bill Barr, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Cold Anger, Conspiracy ?, Decepticons, Deep State, Dem Hypocrisy, Dept Of Justice, Donald Trump, Election 2020, IG Report FISA Abuse, Impeachment, Legislation, media bias, Notorious Liars, President Trump, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Spygate, Spying, Uncategorized, White House Coverup. Bookmark the permalink.

600 Responses to AG Bill Barr Chooses to Protect Rosenstein Over Full Disclosure in Flynn Case…

1. jingosam says:

What is VP Mike Pence’s role in all this? Don’t hear much about it these days. But Flynn was fired by President Trump because he supposedly lied to Pennce as well as the FBI. And why did Flynn lie to anyone anyway? Didn’t he know any talks he might have had with Kislyak during the transition period were perfectly lawful. He didn’t have to hide anything or lie about it. Surely he’s not that stupid, is he? And did Pence make a really big deal about it with President Trump, I wonder? ie Did he want Flynn gone?

• Randolph Scott says:

I have always thought Pense leaned more to the otherside, from the very beginning. I didn’t trust him then and I don’t trust him now. Just my gut feeling. For 60 yearsI can honestly say that when dealing with humans I can count the number of times my gut feeling has been wrong on one hand.

Barr? no feeling about him.

• Karen says:

As for Pence, do you remember the Bush funeral? The Pence’s received an envelope just like Clinton, Obummer, and the other Bush’s….Why? What was in the envelope? I think that the hope was that Pence would take Trump’s seat as POTUS as the new puppet of the DS…..they never thought she would lose

• Dave Radestky says:

Randolph Scott – I have an old friend that has gut feelings about people, too. And in 36 years of knowing her I’ve never known her to be wrong… not even once. When it comes to public figures she’s amazingly accurate. Her feeling about Pence is very positive. So, if your track record is as good as you say, and I have no reason to doubt you, it’ll be interesting to see which one of you is right.

Personally, I don’t have a feeling about Pence. I don’t fall into the category of many here who seem to feel negatively about him because he is a Washington insider, nor do I fall into the category of those here who trust him because of his religious positions and record as a conservative talk radio host. I just don’t know but what I do know is that the only person I really trust in this administration is President Trump. He’s human, so I accept that he makes mistakes, but I believe his heart is in the right place. I wish I could feel that way about others in the administration, too, but I remain neutral towards most others.

• Mike Van says:

Pence was asked if anyone talked to the Russian’s. He said no. Then the narrative started that flynn lied to pence. Rather than tell the truth. Pence let flynn fall on the sword. Yates went to the white house to further the narrative. And then lied to Congress. Gen flynn was being surveilled before crossfire hurricain but they lied and said kisliack was being surveilled. And on and on it went. Pence let a mistake turn into a lie. And now they F’d flynn. And then they F’d TRUMP. And Barr plays on.

• California Joe says:

General Flynn was talking to representatives from dozens of countries especially their embassy officials in Washington DC. Flynn was on the Trump transition team and the foreign ambassadors are in Washington DC to talk to us. There was absolutely nothing wrong with talking to the Russian ambassador at all. Again, it was a fake crime about nothing!

• I won't back down says:

Re: Pence it’s worse than that. The FBI was actively recruiting from Pence staffers to be their rats inside the white house. If the staffers set this up at the behest of Strzok/Page which is what I suspect is in the missing string of texts (as well as other incriminating items) then goose of Pence is cooked. There is something else going on below the surface of all of this that won’t be revealed until we are in the middle of a noisy and public Senate Trial where really no one can look away.

• Mike Van says:

Yes. When pence mispoke on tv and said no one talked to the russians. The press was poised to jump and say the administration was in turmoil and didn’t even know what anyone was doing. Pence couldnt admit his mistake. And he let flynn suffer. And flynn couldn’t explain without making POTUS look incompetent. So the general did the honorable thing. He took one for the team and pence let him.

• jingosam says:

Shouldn’t Pence have known that there was a good chance transition team members were talking to diplomats from Russia as well as from other countries? Why would he say no one was talking to Russia? He could have easily deflected the question by saying, “Of course our transition team is making contact with many countries … Russia included … and why wouldn’t they? It’s a perfectly normal situation for that to be happening at this time.” But he just shot his mouth off … without even thinking … without even bothering to check. Maybe that’s a trait of VP’s. But I still can’t understand why Flynn would lie about something which was perfectly acceptable? I wonder if it had something to do with how Pence couched the question to Flynn. But I don’t trust Pence. Not one bit.

• TMonroe says:

His proposal of the religious freedom bill and his subsequent actions appearing to back down have been a concern:

• Chip Doctor says:

I don’t trust Pence either. Never have, never will.

• Dave Radestky says:

As I stated in a post upthread, I have no opinion of Pence. But I will say that I highly doubt someone who says they never will trust someone. Even people who are bad can have a life-changing event that turns them from untrustworthy to trustworthy. I look at it like this: God offers redemption and He’s perfect. I’m highly imperfect and the least I should do is offer people a chance to rehabilitate. I can’t hold people to a higher standard than God does. I’d suggest you rethink the position of condemning someone forever.

• rondonmonson says:

All the Judge has to do is follow his own rules. My suspicion is he can’t clear Flynn, else that would make him look bad via the Judge calling Flynn a traitor. Barr might well need these issues cloaked at the moment because of Durham’s investigation. If all the facts comes out later and Flynn gets cleared, he can then sue all parties.

The Judge could force these facts and isn’t doing it.

• map says:

Remember, Flynn was caught at the beginning of the this nonsense when Deep State power was at its height. The circumstances today are vastly different compared to then so it is somewhat unfair to compare the present to the past.

It could be the case that Barr is letting Flynn hang because Flynn is too deeply caught in the gears of the machine to extricate with a declassification. The declass may contain info that Barr does not want revealed. Besides, if Flynn gets a pardon from the president why bother with a declass.

Remember, the media may criticize the pardon and then Barr can reveal why the pardon was necessary…the same way Barr and Durham have criticized the predication conclusions of IG Horowitz.

Always remember this is a fight against the people who employ McCabe, Comey, Mueller, Rosenstein, Clapper and Brennan. These are the people who also employ Clinton and Soros. There is a reason things are not going faster.

As for the Articles of Impeachment? Well, the House Judiciary was always going to impeach. What could Barr have done to prevent that?

• swal106 says:

Flynn didn’t lie to anybody my friend. How many times have YOU been asked about a situation that happened months ago that you could NOT remember every single word exchanged? That’s what they did with Flynn. Can you remember every single word you used in a conversation with somebody you had months ago? Of course you can’t. That’s what they nailed Flynn with.

• stevelbrown says:

I’m way late to the party here, but my assumption is that Flynn “lied” because he was answering under the presumption that the question meant specifically related to the campaign prior to the election. It never occurred to him that they would be referring to times after the election when Flynn might be engaging in administration transitional and setup planning

2. Fools Gold says:

Thanks for answering my question from the previous article but quite frankly that was the answer I was expecting! I pray every R in every state is calling their senators and warning the civil unrest that will explode the same day the senate votes to Impeach!

• Zy says:

Oh you said “civil unrest”, I read as civil rest because that’s all we have had and will have.

• Chip Doctor says:

Zy, I agree with you. It makes people feel better to say “hot civil war” or civil unrest, but the fact that we have let it get this far is proof that they will win without a fight. We can’t gather 10 freakin people on the front steps of DOJ. Spare me the tough talk.

• MustangBlues says:

Important point! ”Chip Doctor says:
          December 16, 2019 at 10:57 pm
          Zy, I agree with you. It makes people feel better to say “hot civil war” or civil unrest”

These people speak their fear of the worst, the words civil unrest is venting their frustration and fears; BUT do not think that it is just words:

There is a festering toxic animus enlarged angry boil on civil society, an infection deep and recurring, an acute itis,
          now ready to pop. The people can feel it and they call it hot civil war.

3. DeWalt says:

What are we up to now? What is the number we are on of the people that is going to bring them down (the D/S). I’ve lost count and can’t even remember all these government messiah’s names. So now we’re at Durham. 4 years, nothing.

4. First, that mole Sessions had to go. Then Barr had to flip Rosenstein. Then shut down the Mueller Coup. Then let the Report come out. Then let Mueller mumble in his soup before Congress, Then appoint Durham. Then the Whistleblower Hoax. Then Impeachment.

I think if these classified documents were printed on the front page, Judge Sullivan would have ruled the exact same way. I think Barr is really trying. Others don’t. We’ll both know soon enough. Until then, I’m gonna give him a chance,

If I wanna be mad at an AG, I’ll save it for Cop Killer Holder, Tarmac Tess and Jeff Sessions, who kneecapped not just the President but the agenda we all voted for.

In the meantime, if President Trump trusts Bob Barr, I will too.

• Scott Wallace says:

Things are looking pretty grim. I really hope that Trump is truly a student of Sun Tzu as well as the 48 laws of power, sometimes people infantilize him – I hoping he’s ahead of their plans but I am bracing for being black pilled and realizing they hornswoggled him and by extension, us.

• ballgame17 says:

Barr is starting to bother me as being a defender of the fraternity ( DOJ/FBI) of scum he came from. Why screw Flynn again and protect that weasel Rosenstein.? Do we have any honest men left willing to … , I digress, do we have any honest men in power left? I get angrier by the day!

• Paul B. says:

I don’t know what to make of Barr. Most of the time he seems good, even very good, but then you read something. As for Trump as a barometer of trust, it wasn’t so long ago that Trump expressed confidence in Wray. That was another head-scratcher because we all knew it was BS.

• Mark Smith says:

Remember when Rosenstein went to the White House In September 2018 to resign, then spent several hours with President Trump on Airforce 1 Oct 8, 2018 on a trip to Orlando discussing his resignation? I think that was the critical time that Trump flipped Rosenstein(not Barr), the specific details of the entirety of this coup were revealed to the White House, and Rosy was retained essentially by Trump to “catch them all.” Barr was brought in as AG and Rosy gets to retire honorably without prosecution in exchange for his help in shutting down Mueller, and declaring with Barr that no obstruction of justice in the Mueller probe occurred. Remember there was an intense power struggle between Rosy and McCabe through most of the Soft Coup, including the planted(?) discussion of wearing the wire. Rosy may turn out to be a good guy after all, if only to save his scrawny neck. Remember that date, Oct 8,2018.

5. Kid Jupiter says:

Trump has only himself to blame. He shouldn’t have delegated anything to Barr and declassified the minute after the Mueller Report dropped in May. Trump is his own worst enemy.

• albertus magnus says:

This is very true. This was completely his decision.

And the lack of declassification is exactly what PDJT expected and wanted.

People need to see the forest for the trees.

Those of us that support PDJT will do so regardless of the outcome of this fight with DeepState. His focus, his campaign’s focus in 2016 and again next year has been on MAGAnomics. And he has delivered miraculous outcomes for the American people in this regard.

Just saying.

• Chip Doctor says:

Someone posted earlier than this means that RR flipped and a deal was made. Really? I refuse to wear my Rosey colored glasses anymore. Even if true, Barr should have done the right thing and stopped this persecution of Flynn. This man was set up and destroyed. Barr could have and should have stopped it.

• Judith says:

I said as much on these threads. There seemed to be a very short window between the conclusion of the Mueller investigation and the next drop, which turned out to be Ukraine. (At the time, I thought they might arrest Don Jr or someone else very close to the President.)

PDJT was under constant threat of obstruction during Mueller’s counterintelligence investigation. And with impeachment in full swing, he can now be charged with retaliation.

Why PDJT doesn’t take advantage of these short windows of opportunity, I’ll never know. Only thing I can think of is that the counterintelligence investigation was never *officially* concluded, despite all that Mueller melodrama.

Did anybody ever *formally* conclude that counterintelligence investigation? Or were the Mueller chronicles a head-fake conclusion, just like this head-fake impeachment trial?

6. DJ Snyder says:

Very simple question: why does President Trump not seem too worried about this whole impeachment thing? Surely he’s not naïve to the deep state’s plans… He supposed to be a very stable genius, after all.

7. Hebo Sabe says:

“In AG Barr’s modern interpretation: “it is better that one innocent man suffer than have guilty institutions be discovered.””

Who is saying this?

You, Sundance?

8. Bogeyfree says:

We are finally seeing hat colors.

McConnell up next.

9. Jim Raclawski says:

i’ve tried looking on the “bright side” many times over the course of this extended – horrendous.. treachery…. and I see less and less light each time…. right now…. i’m reflecting on AG Barr’s presser while he communed with the alaska wilds…. and this morning’s ” SD “ipso facto….” krap. …. damage control… is the order of the day…. the institutionalized -weaponized collection capability has to be protected… all the career “statists” have invested too much effort to structure the “money laundering” ( federal foreign aide out====donations & consulting fees in…) machine to see it disrupted….
    there won’t be any “trial”…. minimize the opportunity for disclosures inadvertently dumped into the Minds of the drones….”

10. Jimmy R says:

If Barr prevents the Horowitz and Durham findings from resulting in punishment of the perpetrators, then he will go down as the worst villain in American history, far worse than the perps themselves.

• ballgame17 says:

AMEN! Comey basically convicted himself and the FBI on FOX , and … “mistakes were made!”and “I was WRONG ” and he turned this Country on its head! I would personally be part of his last seconds on Earth!

11. Joe says:

12. Bogeyfree says:

Let’s see…so what has come from the following……..

1) U1 Whistleblower

2) Wiener Laptop

3) HRC Private Server & emails

4) DNC Server Hack

5) Seth Rich murder

6) 47 hard drives given to FIB by Montgomery

7) Mifsud’s phones

8) Ukraine Communications

9) Agency leaking

10) Declassification

Answer – NOTHING!

13. Paul Gallant says:

Don’t know him but I’m reposting a comment from “bulwaker” in regards to the thesis that Trump is in on this in as much as he knows he cannot change it. The Elite give him MAGA and he keeps his life by using the “defuse agents” to walk us off the ledge and to slowly accept the corruption.

There is Dialectic in play here in my opinion.

bulwarker says:
    December 16, 2019 at 7:28 pm
    “Trump is a smart man. At the end of year three, to think that all this is occurring without his knowledge and consent is foolish. It’s time we consider that the president doesn’t actually want to declassify, that he’s been told the damage that would occur to the institutions if he did, and he is in agreement. He delegating authority to Barr, and lawfare predictably tying his hands against release seems like a convenient “out” regarding responsibility. It allows Trump to rail against the system with simultaneously protecting it. It’s been 3 years. There have been numerous opportunities, and none were taken. It’s fair to say we are approaching the final stretch, and placing our collective hopes on Durham (man, we’ve been here before…), while the man in charge refuses to hold anyone accountable via simple declassification.”
    Clue: It seems to me that the keystone event has already occurred. That event should “red pill” we folks that desire justice to be served and a return of “equal justice under the law” to come to the realization that that won’t happen.
    EVENT: THE MOST REASONABLE APPOINTMENT THAT TRUMP COULD AND WOULD MAKE IS THE NOMINATION JOHN RATCLIFFE.

“President Donald Trump announced on July 28, 2019, that he intended to nominate Ratcliffe to replace Dan Coats as Director of National Intelligence.Trump expressed confidence Ratcliffe could “rein in” intelligence agencies which he asserted had “run amok.”
    What happened: The Republican Senate immediately put a stop to it. Ask yourself who really is in charge? The Tripartite balance of power has failed due in large part to the demonic 4th estate.
    Hegel’s Dialectics
    To put it simply, the basis of Hegelianism dictates that the human mind can’t understand anything unless it can be split into two polar opposites. Good / Evil, Right / Wrong, Left / Right.

Problem –take advantage of a crisis already in place in order to get the desired Reaction of public outcry whereby the public demands a Solution which has been predetermined from the beginning.

What the ruling elite does, and have been doing for centuries, is create reactions which requires solutions they had wanted all along. The reaction (e.g. 9/11) puts citizens in a state of fear and anxiety that allows easily implementation of the solution without resistance. Would Americans have protested the Patriot Act more strongly if 9/11 had never occurred?

14. Chris says:

I am beyond frustrated. Bordering on depressed. This sucks!

15. vicarioushikermom says:

This ‘is Barr a white hat or black hat’ discussion is highly reminiscent of the same discussion that went on about Sessuons for months. My 2 cents worth is that Barr is protecting the institution, thinking he is protecting the country by not letting certain information see the light of day; in other words he’s obfuscating, covering up, lying, whatever you want to call it.

• Marc says:

Barr is just another ‘dirty cop’ as Devin Nunes put it. He wouldn’t have gotten the AG spot if the Senate didn’t pre-approve of him. It’s the people that they can’t stop from being hired who POTUS needs to empower.

16. burnett044 says:

It is amazing how some betray their oaths and country …and sell out…what tempts them so…

17. RobInPA says:

Well, at least Rudy Guiliani basically just told Laura Ingraham to STFU so he could finish what he wanted to say!

18. Chump Change says:

Billy Bob Barr is deep state, and will protect Wray, Barr, Lynch, Comey, McCabe, et al rather than fix the FBI.

Barr is covering asses, not kicking them.

He will be remembered for his absolute failure.

19. gary says:

sullivan said the mueller probe was properly predicated,according to horowitz. durham said ,not so fast. when durham proves the probe to not be properly predicated, flynn walks. i also believe the june time table for durham to come forward,is a feign.i believe the crap is going to hit the fan.you don’t hear any of the perps chirping,like they do when something like this comes down.

20. berniekopell says:

The redacted text is likely “POTUS”, not “Flynn”. I’ll have to read the full Sullivan opinion, but the motion was a long shot given the plea and it is clear that an opinion that long was drafted weeks ago and had nothing to do with waiting for the IG report. While the motion was well written, it was still a Hail Mary pass. That an imacculate reception by Judge “you are a traitor” Sullivan did not happen is really no surprise. Sydney has both a “Plan B” and a “Plan C”, so stay tuned. Saying a few Hail Mary’s is optional, but recommended.

21. Eric Thedeplorable says:

“There’s a strong likelihood that after the impeachment vote President Trump will not be able to declassify anything lest he be accused of obstructing his own impeachment. ”

Of course they will accuse him of obstructing his own illegitimate impeachment. They throw out ridiculous accusations all the time. Nobody has the authority to make an accusation and legally take away his ability to declassify. Some might consider him politically unable to do it, but I do not think he cares about that. He is the one person in the world with the power to circumvent the entire deep state with a stroke of the pen. The only way they can stop him is if the corrupt Republican Senate votes to convict him and remove him from office based on phony charges and no evidence. His support is much too strong for that. I think the corrupt Republicans would do it in a heartbeat if it were not for an armed populace.

One thing is certain. This shady ruling by Judge Sullivan against Flynn puts major pressure on Trump to take some kind of action. If Trump allows Flynn to go to jail, with what we all now know about the corrupt FBI, he is going to face a major backlash from his own supporters.

• Chip Doctor says:

PT’s support means ZERO to Mitch and his co thugs. It is either take PT out or he takes them out. They really believe we won’t fight and even if we do, with the help of big tech and the media, they believe they will survive whatever little insurrection might occur. They do not fear or respect us. If they did, this crap would not have gotten this far.

• Sherri Young says:

Seriously, I think PDJT is asking for a long, long trial in the Senate so that these DS’ers will do whatever it takes to keep from having a trial at all. That means either this foolishness dies in the House or Mitch meets it at the door of the Senate.

Too many congress critters and/or their family members have too much dirty laundry to allow such to be aired in public. The stench is getting hard to ignore. They would rather not discuss any of it. Dirty congress critters need not currently be serving or even alive to feel the burn. McNoName’s nameless name could lose some of its burnish too.

• Randolph Scott says:

Very well said, I could not have said it better myself.

Our problem is the politicians and bureaucrats. Remove them and we will know who the financiers are. After that we will now the top dogs, Evil Satanists.

22. hoosier treeper says:

Did anyone see Barr’s future implementation of predictive AI for future crimes that might be committed? I lost faith in him then. 4th amendment is long gone, 1st is under heavy fire 2nd will be hard but give it time. Does anyone remember Christopher Hitchens “tell me, who will be the arbiter of hate speech?”
    I too have many questions about Trump’s appointments,Sessions,Wray, all the never trumpers etc and now Barr. Did the troops come back from Afghanistan?
    I am a die hard Trump supporter but his choices confuse me. Come on, I would put in Bill Benny at NSA and Douglas Macgregor as head of the joint chiefs. And I am just a working class stiff.

• Mortimer says:

First,I agree and there is no doubt that Tru8mp has been his own worst enemy on many appointments.

That said, to be fair, some of the key appointments (Barr, Wray, Coats, etc) are not totally his fault. Especially those made in his first year in office because the back stabbing Senate Repubs purposely tied his hands by announcing they would only confirm their own people/friends and even telling him that positions would remain vacant if he fired certain people. Notably Christopher Wray. Lindsay publicly stated the Senate would NOT replace him if Trump fired him.

Finally, back to your original point, there is a long list of people that Trump was FREE to choose and he chose poorly most of the time.

23. Mortimer says:

I wish Sidney would get on the phone to Bill Barr. I’m sure she knows him personally considering how long they’ve both been around.

24. GTOGUY says:

Flynn’s initial lawyers screwed him good by advising him to take the guilty plea. That was the reason that Judge Sullivan just gave for not throwing his guilty plea out. He waived all of his constitutional rights when he pled guilty. SAD !

• Mortimer says:

If I remember correctly, Sundance detailed that Flynns original lawyers pushed him to plead guilty in order to get the FARA violation issue closed. They were the ones who helped prepare his FARA submission and were technically on the hook along with him …. until they cut the plea deal.

• Rynn69 says:

Yes. Lawyers have dirtied up America. The stench permeates everything.

25. Putting On Its Shoes says:

Okay, I read the Sullivan order. A few observations:

Sullivan didn’t write this, one or more of his clerks who are full on anti-Trump blue-pill zealots wrote it and Sullivan let it happen. Sullivan is not a judge, he is part of the swamp. We should have known when he blasted Flynn (incorrectly) for lobbying for Turkey while at NSA (didn’t happen). He is an empty robe, or corrupt or something, forget him.

Remember, Contreras was dirty, and who knows, they take care of their own.

We don’t know what Barr is going to do. I find it hard to believe he would come out so hard against the IG report on predication — three major forums, no equivocating, etc. — and then fold back in to protection. Anything is possible though. He said it will take till spring to have ducks in a row. I don’t like that, maybe it’s true, maybe it’s a stall play.

Durham also said no lawful predication, in so many words. There is good reason to believe they are getting ducks in a row.

Sundance has been good at unsorting the underlying facts, and who did what. He has not been good at predicting what is going to happen. He has run hot and cold from too optimistic to too pessimistic. I understand, and skepticism is always warranted.

Powell and Flynn can appeal, or ask to withdraw their plea. They still have more moves. I don’t think Barr could intervene before IG report, and may not be able to sensibly intervene until Durham has charged someone for fabricating the predicate.

Predictions are hard from here. Skepticism, anger and impatience are warranted from here on out.

The IG report, in substance was pretty darn good. You have Comey and Schiff saying they were wrong, and others mighty worried. Some progress has been made.

British elections were encouraging. Trump knows most if not all, and he will throw down eventually.

At the end it may come down to 2A, I hate it but it’s’ true. Let’s just be ready for that, and then fight like hell to make it unnecessary. I don’t know.

Predictions are hard, especially about the future.

Godspeed

• noswamp says:

POIShoes,
      Great description. I agree predictions are hard.

Barr said early Spring because he knew impeachment hearing would be wrapped up by then? Does he think that Senate impeachment will go on to early Spring? McConnell is horse trading the impeachment as well as USMCA and China Trade with his buddies at CoC and Donahue leading the charge. Could this be a squeeze play against Trump? He sounded like he wanted to work with Trump, but you never know. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.

• Sherri Young says:

One other point — the USA Freedom Act reauthorization is coming up in either February or March. It was lined up to be made permanent but was given either a 3- or 4-month temporary reauthorization instead. This was in order for IG Horowitz’s report to be released and digested by the Senate before voting.

As I stated above, I do not expect a trial in the Senate at all because of the political and legal jeopardy for the congress critters. However, it is difficult to imagine the cognitive dissonance that would be elicited by having hearings on a permanent reauthorization of legalized government spying on citizens in the morning and then participating in a trial of the president who was spied on by a rogue intel community by these same legal maneuvers.

Something to ponder.

• BigTalkers says:

I don’t like what I’m thinking…

What if these so-called public “apologies” in the aftermath of the IG Report were preordained, and those in charge effectively consider them to be “time served?”

26. noswamp says:

Mynameis… I have to agree. They SAY they have opened a criminal case. The lawyer will be prosecuted and maybe a couple others but the big fish like Comey will skate.

27. Rynn69 says:

I’ll bet Joe and Victoria are beside themselves about how Barr is covering the corruption vs. bringing about justice. I know they were two people who believed in this coward.

28. Bogeyfree says:

I’m still trying to figure out why Liu was moved to Treasury?

What type of cases do Treasury DA’s handle?

I read somewhere they might handle the investigation of money laundering crimes.

Maybe our legal eagles can answer this one.

But if true, do we see any of those possible crimes coming up on the radar anytime soon?

Like chess, plan your strategy 3-5 moves in advance.

• California Joe says:

No such thing as a Treasury DA. No cases prosecuted there. Only investigates financial transactions and refers to other agencies for investigation. Basically, Liu is assigned to the Naval War College. Barr got rid of her the quiet easy way!

• Bogeyfree says:

So went back to see what her role would be and it is as the Under Secretary within the Treasury.

As noted in wikipedia, the Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence is a position within the United States Department of the Treasury responsible for directing the Treasury’s efforts to cut the lines of financial support for terrorists, FIGHT FINANCIAL CRIME, enforce economic sanctions against rogue nations, and combat the financial support of the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

My bet, if and when Ukraine money laundering ever comes up, she will be involved with it.

Again, IMO people are planning ahead.

• Despicable Me says:

IRS which is part of Treasury has criminal investigations who investigate tax matters.

• Mark Smith says:

A small room with no windows in the cellar of the Treasury building with nothing to do. Most appropriate, and tells us we are winning!

29. BigTalkers says:

Seems like we’re still napping in that same damn field.

30. zimbalistjunior says:

sorry to hijack SD but you may want to post this slightly coded call for assassination
    paul butler georgetown law prof and massive tool at msnbc, just deemed the president a clear and present danger to national security

yup i believe this may be the first time this has been formulated in such terms
    i may be wrong but the messaging is becoming more dire

31. Frbrdskmi says:

Done with all of this, beginning to believe all of this , even DJT, is just a sham. Even though he’s not a politician, seems after two and a half years Trump is playing the game too, just as all politicians do. I had hope but have none anymore. As always I’ll trust in the Lord and pray. It’s in god’s hands anyway, He knows the outcome, always has, always will.

32. ed bernay says:

If Barr and Durham are swamp rats, why did Eric Holder write an Op Ed a few days ago?

33. arsumbris says:

The (flailing) assumption being that Judge Sullivan would vacate the charges “if only” this information were made available to the court, (because Judge Sullivan is a patriot – oh-say-can-you–see).

Sullivan isn’t the kind of guy people here assume he is. He has access to this information. It’s been available throughout. If he wanted it to be made available OFFICIALLY to the court, he could simply demand it.

Judge Sullivan just ruled that it didn’t matter; he DENIED Brady disclosure. That was Judge Sullivan’s choice, not Barr — but let’s pretend Barr somehow denied it to the court. Then lets take it a step further (like we always do, because one thing the Right knows how to do is infighting) and blame Trump for not snapping his fingers and making it all go away.

34. Julian says:

Look at that picture of Barr!! He blows!!

35. Mike says:

Barr isn’t protecting Rosenstein. No one is being protected, there are ongoing cases that rely on information that cannot be made public yet. Don’t worry about Gen. Flynn, he is going to be fine. Pain is coming for the perpetrators of these crimes, all in good time.

36. Padric says:

Sorry, but I’m going to play a bit of Devil’s Advocate here with regards to Sundance’s arguments.

Regarding the redacted texts and other redacted items: From Sullivan’s point of view, he has no way of knowing whether or not those redactions do contain Flynn’s name. The DoJ has said they don’t and while I like Ms. Powell, it’s really only a circumstantial argument that she presents that the redactions are Flynn’s name. So while I strongly disagree with Sullivan’s ruling, On these matters I can’t fault him.

Now, the “classified briefing” stuff, yeah. That one I can’t argue with.

37. Rick says:

I fault Judge Sullivan. He is guilty of failing to be a fair arbiter between the prosecution and the defense. An abject and complete failure. If the defense won’t provide that information, even to the judge alone who can view classified documents, then it is incumbent upon him to dismiss the case. Especially knowing all of the malfeasance taking place by the main players in the setup.

Judge Sullivan is like most judges, unfortunately. They assume prosecutors are all innocent angels and their words are pure truth dripping from heaven while pre-judging the accused. Hanging judges they are, anxious to throw the peasants in jail while excusing their own.

38. rayvandune says:

I didn’t know that rights granted by the Constitution could be waived. Seems a bit odd that a judge figures his ego trumps the accused’s God-given rights. Maybe we need a better class of judges.

39. Unsk says:

“One thing to consider that I don’t see mentioned much at all: Christopher Wray and Rod Rosenstein warning Barr that full declassification can put at risk every criminal indictment and every conviction in which the FBI did an investigation going back decades. The lawsuits and requests for retrials or overturned convictions by defense attorneys would be endless.”

So be it. The FBI/CIA swamp needs too be drained. Badly. The future of the Republic depends on it. Perhaps only then after a massive reopening of cases will the public get a sense of how criminal these institutions have become.
    Given the fact that there has not been one single whistleblower after all this criminal crap they pulled means that these institutions have been thoroughly corrupted through and through. Only a full scale hard nosed reformation of these institutions can save them now and if that means bringing up all the cases that they used illegally obtained evidence then so be it.

• sturmudgeon says:

Unsk: I do not have a clue as to the many possible ramifications of “full declassifications”, but I do agree that the full picture of the (probable) illegalities needs to occur.

• G. Alistar says:

“ Given the fact that there has not been one single whistleblower after all this criminal crap …”. Who says there has not been one good guy in the FBI, DOJ or Obama White House who has not gone forward with evidence and complaints and the truth? The very, very small info about all this which we as American Citizens are privy to….should point towards resisting such sweeping generalization — it is far from a “given fact.” On the other hand, I don’t knew IF there are multiple complaints by honest FBI and DoJ employees. But I would not rule it out. More importantly, Ye of little faith. This will be the Presidents finest hour. Never give counsel to your fears. p.s., the Lord favors those who are called according to His purpose. God does NOT tolerate this illegitimate and criminal conspiracy. In Omniscience, He knows and in Omnipotence, His will and Justice will be done. Blessed are those who wait on the Lord….not who wait on Bill Barr.

40. Unsk says:

People are forgetting that Bill Barr is the boss of the prosecuting attorneys of the Flynn case. Why hasn’t Barr said “based upon the IG report which showed that the Carter Page FISA warrant was fraudulent, all evidence downstream enabled by that warrant which includes much of the Flynn evidence was “fruit of the poisoned tree” and thus inadmissible. Therefore because the evidence of this prosecution is so tainted we are ending the Flynn prosecution and letting General Flynn go free.”

That way he doesn’t have to get into new evidence that Durham is working on and doesn’t have to taint future prosecutions.

41. An says:

I won’t defend Barr, I want this declassified too.

But maybe it’ll help Flynn on appeal if he can point out that some of the evidence that Sullivan said “doesn’t exist” is later proven to exist. I mean, that’d kinda change things.

42. Jack Schiraldi says:

I’ve always said that all of these idiots are well educated but have no clue about the real street. I’ve always said someone has a get out of jail free card. Could it be Rosenstein maybe not but both you and I know this madness has to stop by ether legal or Tribunal means.. An ideology lives on the brink getting ready to fall and the Congressman who abandoned ship ain’t no dummy. I’m and old movie buff and I’m reminded of this scene from Judgement at Nuremberg with Burt Lancaster. How significant is the moral? Its up to you. https://youtu.be/xGfHkdR3tXs

43. Deplorable GTO says:

There’s a strong likelihood that after the impeachment vote President Trump will not be able to declassify anything lest he be accused of obstructing his own impeachment. This is the same legal catch-22 President Trump faced in September 2018 when DOJ Rod Rosenstein advised (threatened) the President that any action he took at the time to declassify material would be considered “obstruction” of the Mueller investigation.

Sundance does not address the declassifying of documents after Trump’s Senate acquittal. He said the impeachment vote. That is happening today.