U.S. President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson held a working breakfast prior to the Sunday session of the G7 summit in Biarritz, France.  The primary topics include Brexit and trade. [Video and Transcript Below]

[Transcript] PRESIDENT TRUMP: Thank you very much, everybody. We’re having a very good meeting — a very good series of meetings. Last night, we had dinner. It worked out. I think it was fantastic.

PRIME MINISTER JOHNSON: It was fantastic. We covered — well, we covered three subjects, actually. We were going to cover 10 subjects, but in the end, we did three.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Three that we’ll talk about.

PRIME MINISTER JOHNSON: We do three in detail.

Q Mr. President, do you have any advice for Boris Johnson on Brexit?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: He needs no advice. He’s the right man for the job. I’ve been saying that for a long time. It didn’t make your predecessor very happy. But I’ve been saying it for a long time: He’s the right man for the job.

PRIME MINISTER JOHNSON: You’re on message there. (Laughter.) I’m grateful — I’m very grateful for that. And we’re looking forward to having some pretty comprehensive talks about how to take forward the relationship in all sorts of ways, particularly on trade. And we’re very excited about that.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: We’re having very good trade talks between the UK and ourselves. We’re going to do a very big trade deal — bigger than we’ve ever had with the UK.

And now, they won’t have it. At some point, they won’t have the obstacle of — they won’t have the anchor around their ankle, because that’s what they had. So, we’re going to have some very good trade talks and big numbers.

PRIME MINISTER JOHNSON: Talking of the anchor — talking of the anchor, Donald, what we want is for our ships to be able to take freight, say, from New York to Boston, which at the moment they can’t do. So, we want cabotage. How about that?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Many things — many things we’re talking about.

PRIME MINISTER JOHNSON: That would be a good thing.

Q How fast do you think you’ll be able to make a trade deal?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Pretty quickly. We don’t anticipate any problems. Before, we were sort of stymied. Well, I was stymied by the other side because nothing went — nothing got done on the other side, as you’ve seen from Brexit. This is a different person, and this is a person that’s going to be a great prime minister, in my opinion. Boris, it’s only my opinion.

PRIME MINISTER JOHNSON: No, look, I’m not going to — I’m not going to dissent. I’m not going to discourage you from that, Donald.

But obviously, I have memories of American trade negotiations in the past, and I have a formidable respect for U.S. trade negotiations. And I know that there will be some tough talks ahead, because, at the moment, you know, we still don’t — I don’t think we sell a single joint of British lamb to the United States. We don’t sell any beef. We don’t sell any pork pies. And there are clearly huge opportunities for the UK to penetrate the American market in the way that we currently don’t. And we’re very interested to talk about that with you.

Q Mr. President, do you think that you will invite Putin to next year’s G7, sir?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: That, I don’t know. We did discuss it. We had a very good discussion on Russia and President Putin, and a lively discussion, but, really, a good one. And it’s certainly —

PRIME MINISTER JOHNSON: It was lively.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: It’s certainly possible. It’s certainly possible. We’ll see.

Q Mr. President, are your allies pressuring you to give up the trade war with China?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: No. Not at all. I haven’t heard that at all, no. I think they respect the trade war. It has to happen. China has been — I can only speak for the United States. I can’t say what they’ve been doing to the UK and to other places. But from the standpoint of the United States, what they’ve done is outrageous that Presidents and administrations allowed them to get away with taking hundreds of billions of dollars out every year, putting it into China. So, the answer is, nobody has told me that, and nobody would tell me that.

Q Mr. President, any second thoughts on escalating the trade war with China?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Yeah, sure. Why not?

Q Second thoughts? Yes?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Might as well. Might as well.

Q You have second thoughts about escalating the war with China?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: I have second thoughts about everything.

Q Are you going to declare a national emergency on China?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well, I have the right to, if I want. I could declare a national emergency. I think when they steal and take out, and — intellectual property theft, anywhere from $300 billion to $500 billion a year, and where we have a total loss of almost a trillion dollars a year — for many years, this has been going on — in many ways, that’s an emergency.

I have no plan right now. Actually, we’re getting along very well with China right now. We’re talking. I think they want to make a deal much more than I do. We’re getting a lot of money in tariffs. It’s coming in by the billions. We never got 10 cents from China. So we’ll see what happens. But we are talking to China very seriously.

Q Are you concerned about how the market is reacting to the tariffs?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: No. The market is doing great. Our country is doing great. Everybody was telling me, yesterday, people are trying to copy the formula. We’ve cut taxes way down. We got rid of regulations — large numbers — more than any President has gotten rid of. And we’re doing very well. Our country is doing fantastically well.

I mean, you people want a recession because you think maybe that’s the way to get Trump out. Maybe that’s the way we get him out.

But I don’t even think that would even work, because, look, if there’s anything, it’s — you know, we’ve got to go into trade negotiations to get it right. But, ultimately, it’ll be many times what it was before. Our country is doing really well. We have horrible trade deals, and I’m straightening them out. The biggest one, by far, is China.

PRIME MINISTER JOHNSON: Yeah. Look, I just want to say I congratulate the President on everything that the American economy is achieving. It’s fantastic to see that.

But just to register the faint, sheep-like note of our view on the trade war, we’re in favor of trade peace on the whole, and dialing it down if we can.

Q Are you in favor of trade peace with China?

PRIME MINISTER JOHNSON: Well, we think that, on the whole, we’re — the UK has profited massively in the last 200 years from free trade, and that’s what we want to see. And so we’re keen to see — we don’t like tariffs on the whole.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: How about the last three years? (Laughs.) Don’t talk about the last three. Two-hundred, I agree with you.

Q Prime Minister, have you made clear that, in any trade talks with the U.S., the NHS will be off the table and (inaudible)?

PRIME MINISTER JOHNSON: Not only — not only have I made clear that, but Donald, the President, has made that very, very clear as well. And so there’s complete unanimity on that point.

Q Mr. President, do you have plans today to announce a trade deal with Japan?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: We’re very close to a major deal with Japan. As you know, Prime Minister Abe and I are very good friends and — really good friends. We’ve been working on it for five months. Bob Lighthizer is here someplace. Bob? Do you want to say something about the deal with Japan?

AMBASSADOR LIGHTHIZER: I’m going to say that, presumably, something will be announced after you meet with the Prime Minister of Japan. That’s all I’m going to say.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: We’re working on a very big deal with Japan, and we’re very close to getting it. And, frankly, I think what’s happening in China helps with respect to Japan. But it’s a very big deal. It’ll be one of the biggest deals we’ve ever made with Japan.

Okay? Thank you all very much.

END 8:28 A.M. CEST

This entry was posted in Auto Sector, Big Government, Brexit, Economy, European Union, G7, media bias, President Trump, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, United Kingdom (UK) and Great Britain, US dept of agriculture, US Treasury, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to President Trump and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson Working Breakfast – Video and Transcript…

1. severance23 says:

Speaking as a Brit who is grateful that Boris is now our PM as I thought he was the main one of very few Conservative MP’s who could deliver and actual real Brexit – he’s still a dishevelled scarecrow at times and I wish he’d get some gravitas.

• dollops says:

Is “dishevelled” something like “deplorable”?

• TarsTarkas says:

Disheveled is appearance (mussed-up hair, untidy attire, etc.). That’s Boris.
        Deplorable is an attitude. That’s Donald.
        As long as the job gets done, neither matters.
        The jobs are Brexit and bilateral trade and justice for the hoax-makers.
        MBGA!

• swissik says:

Gravitas is given too much importance, imho. Disheveled is unimportant. What counts is action.

• Bob says:

Why do you care if his hair is messed up. Let’s take into consideration that The USA and the U.K. are after the same thing…. keeping the communists out of Countries and continue working the capitalist economy for our our citizens. The alternative is the One World Governances….and that for most is not acceptable. If our President is doing a good job for the People and the economy….the rest is just envy. Boris hasn’t even had time to warm his seat….let’s see how things go in six months or more.

• tonyE says:

I sort of like the somewhat chaotic way the fellow looks..

Chaotic, non deterministic systems reach their goals nicely and they tend to be more flexible in their choice of trajectory waypoints than a predefined ( Five Year Plan) path. Also, they reach their end point destinations with less energy expenditure and more accuracy.

May and the EU bureaucrats represent the deterministic way of doing things… you would never program a spacecraft to work that way, because it will end up missing the mark by millions of miles AND/OR require a large fuel tank: ergo a huge spacecraft with lots of overhead expenditures ( ie: taxes ).

You want pragmatic programming and politicians.

A great way to wake up to the news on Sunday.

• lydia00 says:

TonyE,

I like the way you think. You are so right about the five-year plans sort of thinking and inflexibility. I will throw something else into your excellent comment. We can no longer afford to operate globally within the post WW2 paradigm. It has not been working for several decades. Then we had people like the clintons and the Obamas who wanted to personally benefit from global connections.

That is one of the things I like about Donald Trump that despite his age, he does not think like someone stuck in old paradigms that never seem to benefit America.

2. frank field says:

I don’t have a clear “read” on Johnson but I’m pretty sure he’s no Farrage.

Trump for Rushmore 👓

• swissik says:

My first choice was Farage, but Johnson will do for now. He is a bit unpredictable just like our president and I don’t have an issue with that. Keep the vultures off balance, imo.

• lydia00 says:

Boris is Oxford and from wealth. Farrage is wrong side of the tracks.

not a lot of difference between Donald Trump being from Queens and rinos from Manhattan.

Even if Boris is doing this for self aggrandizing, what does it matter if they really leave the EU?

I did notice that Boris was very careful to praise China. But let’s face it it’s not the seventies anymore.

• Boris has to stand up to T a few times because when they enter trade deal phase all his domestic enemies will be accusing him of being Trump’s little lapdog. And he has to stand up to him in those future negotiations, too. And I believe he will. But right now, it’s mainly posturing. Interesting how savvy he is already as a PM despite being so new to the position. Theresa May after three years was nowhere near his level…. a Cabinet Secretary type, not a National Leader on the world stage, that’s for sure.

But what is cooking now is a potential Great Game Play, the first significant one since the attempt in the 70’s to bring China into a One World New World Order. That order has failed. China is about to get cut out since clearly she simply won’t play fair because they simply cannot stop being a command-and-control State and will never really allow a robust private sector to flourish. (Of course we don’t play fair either and also have serious problems with Command-and-Control State – aka Deep State – but nobody on our side will ever admit it!).

So now what’s looking increasingly likely is that Japan, Korea, Vietnam, SE Asia, Brazil, India, Italy, UK, Australia and NZ (probably) are going to form a good old fashioned ‘Maritime Alliance’ whilst Russia, Iran, most of Arabia, China and central EU will form a ‘Central Island’ alliance (aka ‘The Great Game’), with ongoing struggles for raw materials access from South America and Africa yet to be determined. The linchpin of the whole thing will be US and UK, and UK will become the main hub for trade to and from US with many EU firms locating in UK. The decline of the West will be halted for a while and the UK could be on the verge of becoming extremely influential again.

Boris almost got a first in Oxford and is very bright.
        His book on Churchill is perhaps the best (of many hundreds).
        He is a Man of Destiny at an extremely important juncture in history.

The next few years are going to be ‘interesting times.’

• BigTalkers says:

The Brits do have serious problems. They have their own “Wall St vs Main St” type issues, as well as runaway immigration.

Then there are the not so small matters of the German car companies now owning the former British brands, holding the UK together during this difficult period, along with the UK’s absolute refusal to negotiate Brexit in good faith.

We’ll find out if PM Johnson is cut from the same cloth as President Trump by the end of this year.

3. Peoria Jones says:

He’ll do in a pinch. Let’s see if he can bring Brexit.

4. betseyross says:

I have a suspicion that there will be more winning by the time this conference is over. He seems to be getting along with all of our new ‘friends’. Good things are happening, unlike when Obama started going to these things and giving the country away.

5. US says:

I found it interesting that Boris took the opportunity to bring up rights of cabotage for their ships and pork pies while they still are tied to the EU.

• CountryDoc says:

I wondered if a “special interest” had motivated him highly to work on that. I doubt he brought that up without knowing Trump wouldn’t mind. A petty point to risk a relationship with the Lion over.

• Esperanza says:

I took it to mean Britain is back in business. He also mentioned free trade. Britain is a seafaring nation grown rich and powerful on trade. That’s what we do. Lamb also is very important, those beautiful uplands were created by sheep.

Boris is extremely erudite, a student of history. Don’t forget he is descended from a monarch. A lot of European history is just family history to him.

6. rayvandune says:

I do not recognize the lady sitting to PDJT’s right. Also, I wonder who placed the camera in a position that HIDES PM Johnson?! Assuming it is a US pool camera?

7. rayvandune says:

8. J Gottfred says:

“Q You have second thoughts about escalating the war with China?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: I have second thoughts about everything.”

I think this is why Trump is the best president we have had in a very long time. First he speaks exactly what is on his mind at that moment; and, second he looks at everything from every angle. I hope he cleans the EU’s clock.

• Sofa King says:

He already has.
      Talking to Boris about trade deals is like sawing off their right arm, while they scream.
      The only question is: bleeding to death, or tourniquet.

• Esperanza says:

Yep, you could hear Merkel squealing in the background. That trade surplus of hers going down the drain.

Remember, Germany is Europe’s China minus the crappy products.

• Dutchman says:

A W.H. spokepersin clarified;
      His ‘regret’ wasn’t in raising the tariffs, it was in not going HIGHER, LOL.

His staff are even getting in on the trolling.

9. Our President Trump – at all times, LIKE A BOSS. EU jerks, better get used to it.

10. rayvandune says:

Reading the full transcript, after hearing the “selected gotchas edition” on NPR this morning, I am dismayed at the abysmal level of reporting of the American media. There can be no doubt that the press is engaged in a full-scale war of dirty tricks to destroy Trump.m

We need to ask them “Exactly when did you run for election, and get elected, on a promise to oppose the President, instead of doing your actual job of reporting objectively on him?”

11. rayvandune says:

• GB Bari says:

Excellent question for the eneMedia. I do wish someone would have the cajones to fire that back at one of those miserably snide, arrogant pukes after they ask one of their long-winded, falsely-premised, “when-did-you-stop-beating-your-wife” questions.

12. Tim Holden says:

The Europeans will not have enjoyed today. Losing Britain will diminish the EU – taken as a whole it has a larger GDP than China at the moment, but this changes when Britain leaves and the EU moves into third place.
    There are further problems because Italy, Hungary, and Poland all move closer the the USA, and the sum of these economies equate to the size of the French GDP. As Germany moves to recession and therefore no growth, this amounts to difficulty and diminishing prospects for Merkel and Macron.
    To add to their woes, Japan came along and made a deal with the Americans during the course of the G7 – and Japan has a bigger economy than Germany (5 trillion GDP vs 4 trillion), so this announcement will cause grinding of teeth.
    Europe has made every effort to stop Brexit, and many of those efforts appear to have firmed British determination to leave the EU. It’s misery for them, and doubtless the Chinese are recalculating their options.
    Macron sought to seize the agenda in the first stage of this week, but he was overwhelmed by breakfast on the second day. Instead of finger-wagging he’ll be keeping his hand in his pocket if he knows what’s good for him.

13. Zippy says:

He holds the cards just as we do in the US/China game for two of the same reasons: the UK imports much more from the EU than the EU does from the UK. The EU has much more to lose. Also, London is a MAJOR financial center just like the US.

‘You Get Nothing’ – Johnson Refuses To Pay Brexit Divorce Bill If No Deal With EU

With this weekend’s G-7 Summit in Biarritz winding down UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed something that has been bandied about in the British press for weeks, if not months: He warned that, if no deal on the withdrawal agreement is struck, the UK would refuse to pay the £39 billion ($47.9 billion) divorce settlement that it’s treaty bound to pay.

“I think what the entire European Union understands is that if we come out without a deal then…the 39 billion is no longer legally pledged,” Johnson told Sky News, when asked if he had told EU leaders this week he planned to withhold the money.

“As I’ve said many, many times we will therefore on November 1 have very substantial sums available from that 39 billion to spend on supporting our farmers…and indeed for investment in all sorts of areas.”

• After Boris denies the EU 39 Billion in a No-Deal Brexit,

• The “EU” is therefore no longer the European “UNION of its collective Member Nations” without the UK.

• Seems like Italy, Poland and Hungary can simply announce that the end of the Union ELIMINATES the “Consideration” that formed the foundation for its parties’ Membership Agreement, and therefore effectively TERMINATES that Agreement and all of the “Obligations” of its former Members, who revert to “Independent Nations”.

14. ADDgolfer says:

So much for an earlier left wing headline narrative.
    The tactic in the headline … to keep these two separated as possible
    Yeah, like how was that supposed to be pulled off? Not one of the sideline meets, but a one on one working breakfast meet.

Do all their columnists earbud Lennon’s ‘Imagine’ while writing article?

15. Maquis says:

Okay, he’s now upped his publicly stated estimation of the annual cost of IP theft from maybe 300B to 300B to 500B, a good start. I’d apprecite seeing him begin to educate the public by stating what that IP theft is and what it means not just to America but to the very Americans that set up shop in China, got their IP stolen, suddenly faced their product being manufactured at a Chinese factory and being sold for so little that they had to abandon production and sale of the product worldwide.

This is Stealth Nationalisation of American companies, an outright takeover of their China based facilities would barely be more destructive and consequential.

• This will transition to an outright TAKEOVER of those China-based facilities as soon as their Export Markets become unaffordable, and Red China then …

• Fines American owners endlessly under new regulations that trigger escalating “Unemployment Reparations” and “Loss-of-Face Damages”

• Declares American owners’ China Operations bankrupt when they fail to pay

• Auctions their assets to – you guessed it – State-Owned Enterprises
      … which are the only ones that could qualify to bid and

• SOEs then receive Government Subsidies to restart the factories

• SOEs rebrand the products to earn Made in China designations

• Consumers get Social Score Deductions for buying products not Made in China

• The American Companies are then effectively locked out of the China Market.

16. nerveman says:

So Macron secretly invites the Iranian foreign minister lol. What a duplicitous weenie. Listen to Boris. He is one confident man. Notice how Trump doesn’t speak for him. Boris is a force to be reckoned with. This is going to be fun.

17. Ghost says:

Observations from a smaller limb.

Reduction in regulations coupled with reductions in the U.K.’s high tax rate could really give them some room to grow.

Vat. Tax: 20%
    Top tax rate: 47%
    😎

18. leftnomore says:

I wouldn’t want to discuss anything of long term importance with spinach in my teeth. Weird tradition of “working breakfast”. But, apparently something good is coming out of that scrambled egg platter.

19. I think the Brits may now look at the US as an equal and not as the “colonies”!