U.S. Jobs Growth exceeded expectations in June by adding 222,000 jobs. Well beyond the anticipated 170,000 original forecast.   The government also revised up its estimate of job growth for April and May by a combined 47,000.

However, the economic dissonance is still evident within the fed analysis:

[The] cycle of limited wage gains and low prices has kept inflation in check, to the consternation of the Fed, which wants to see slightly higher inflation to justify its campaign to raise short-term rates. (link)

As we previously shared there’s a predictable inability of federal economists to understand what happens when executive administrative policy reverses course and establishes the benefit to Main Street, ie. the middle-class, over Wall Street. The feds cognitive dissonance is evidenced because modern economic theory cannot reconcile the space between two economies, Wall Street and Main Street.

The three driving costs of operations -and their subsequent outcomes- are: labor, material and energy.   In this phase of economic re-footing, material costs are static and energy costs have dropped substantially.  Labor costs are slightly increasing, but not yet as a direct result of increases in wage rates.  The current phase shows increased use of labor hours as part-time roles are increased to full-time positions.

♦ For most companies – Within this phase wage rates will remain modestly increasing until company labor productivity is filled and expanded labor hiring is needed.   Once the number of necessary hires begins, the upward pressure on wage rates will increase much faster.   But that doesn’t come along until phase #2.

Low energy costs are keeping consumer prices down, and this will continue while the expanding number of labor hours used fills out within each organization.  We previously shared that the old paradigm of inflation driving interest rate hikes would no longer apply in this new economic space.   Wages will jump, bigly, but that comes after the expansion of current labor resources is no longer possible.

♦ Right now the economy is adding more hours than people – Shifting PT positions into FT jobs as the economy expands.  Additionally, people who couldn’t find FT work, and those who didn’t take PT jobs, are now reentering the workforce with FT positions open.  This makes the ‘unemployment’ rate increase to 4.4% (up from 4.3%), despite the fact that an additional 100k jobs were gained than would be needed to retain stasis.  More people are simply looking for work again because more FT work is available.

Retail employment gains of 8,000 were noted despite several retail companies no longer doing business.  In our analysis this is because gains are in the highly-consumable retail companies (food, fuel, entertainment and hospitality), and the durable goods retailers (cars, furniture, appliances etc.) are, predictably, remaining static.

[…] The June jobs report showed broad hiring across numerous industries. Health care posted the biggest job gain — 59,100 — despite uncertainty around health care legislation in Congress. Governments added an unusually high 35,000 positions, nearly all of them at the local level. Construction companies added 16,000, and mining, which includes oil and gas drilling, gained 8,000.  (link)

When we reach Phase #2:

♦ Inflation on imported durable goods sold in America, while necessary, will ultimately be minimal during this initial period; and expand more significantly as time progresses and off-shored manufacturing finds less and less ways to be productive.   Over time, durable good prices will increase – but it will come much later.

♦ Inflation on domestic consumable goods ‘may‘ indeed rise at a faster pace, depending on energy offsets. However, it can be expected that U.S. wage rates will respond faster, naturally faster, than any fiscal policy because inflation on fast-turn consumable goods became re-coupled to the ability of wage rates to afford them as a direct result of President Trump’s economic policies.  (read more)

This entry was posted in Big Government, Economy, energy, Environmentalism, EPA, media bias, President Trump, Trade Deal, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

83 Responses to June Jobs Report – U.S. Jobs Growth 222,000 Surpassing Expectations – Wage Growth 2.5%

1. Sylvia Avery says:

I love that picture of Gene whats his name hugging PDJT for all he’s worth. I feel quite emotional whenever I see that. To me, Gene was expressing what all of us feel or at least what I feel. Okay, I need to go back and reread the article now.

• deplorabledaveinsocal says:

Gene Hubbard. That is also one of my all time favorite pictures. I like to think of it as a national embrace… if I misspelled his name, I apologize

• Sylvia Avery says:

I really appreciate that Sundance continues to hammer this home.

I never took a single econ class in college. Too dull, I concluded thanks to a semester of it in HS that drove me wild it was so boring. Thus, I don’t have an easy time comprehending and retaining the information. I have to work at it, concentrate, study it. Even the jargon is somewhat foreign to me making it harder to grasp and retain.

Sundance writes clearly, and patiently lays it out in a very logical way that makes it understandable and believable. Still, it is complex, for me anyway, so having the basics repeated along with the new information that ties into these ideas is really helpful.

End result, I feel I have some clue where PDJT is leading us, and I have confidence in the vision. And it is fun and intriguing to see how the new pieces of information, like today’s jobs report, fit into the whole idea. Thank you, friend.

• deplorabledaveinsocal says:

Sylvia,

In response to your comment

That my dear, is why a lot of us frequent this blessed site. Sundance and crew are true gems and treasure…

• piper567 says:

Sylvia…my thoughts exactly!
        One thing I really appreciate is sundance pausing to let x, y, or z sink in by saying,See how THAT works?
        its sort of like “Selah” in the Psalms, time to stop and ponder.

• soozword says:

Sylvia, I took three econ classes in college — macro, micro and labor — and got As in each. Yet I think I’ve learned a heck of a lot more from Sundance on economics and trade than any professor tried to drill into my pretty little head back then.

• Sylvia Avery says:

LOL thanks, that does make me feel better!

• NvMtnOldman says:

harry Truman once said something like-Lay a bunch of economists in a row and they will all point in a different direction.

• carrierh says:

Majored in Business including economics, etc. Skipping over the jargon is helpful and that is what Sundance does and so happy to have found this site. Feels like family (except for a troll now and then) and many of them have been awakened by Sundance and Trump to what America used to be and now on the road back to the “used to be” meaning by and for the people and our need to replace many in Congress who are fighting against us and our country, and I pray daily for MAGA because we many to those few!

• dekester says:

Sylvia,

You may wish to be just a little kinder to yourself. There are countless economic “experts” around. Few predicted the housing bubble, the dot.com crash etc, etc.

I, like you . Have learned more about geo political economics and finance from Sundance, and a few of the regular posters. Than any of my past experiences.

I have been interested in investing in collectibles, stocks and property since I was a teenager and teen years are far back in the rear view mirror.

Your posts are much appreciated, especially your input on FLOTUS fashions.😉

We are blessed to have this site, and have your President in the W.H.

• Rex Brocki says:

Sylvia, you’re lucky… I took two econ classes, and we had to “learn” (very heavy quotes) out of that ridiculous text authored by that outright-communist-in-all-but-name Paul Samuelson (you know, the guy who confidently predicted that the Soviet Union’s economy was just about to pass the U.S. one in size… just before the U.S.S.R. went belly up!). It took years for me to find my own way to the Austrian School and repair the damage.
        …and you know something? The Austrians are absolutely right… but even THEY can’t hit specific targets as well as Sundance does here at CTH! (a tip of the hat).

• Sylvia Avery says:

Wow, maybe it is a good thing I steered clear of Econ.

A baffling thing to me is how someone like Paul Krugman is an economist and all he does is peddle twaddle that any fool knows is not true and has not relationship with reality.

But of course, now that I think about what I am saying, Karl Marx had an economic theory, too, didn’t he? Hmm…

• G. Combs says:

I don’t have too much problem following Sundance, however I have been self-taught over the years and read quite a bit. Hanging out at ChiefIO’s (E. Michael Smith) for years probably helped a lot since he is an economist by training . And yes I favor Mises too.
          (Chiefio wanders from science to economics to cooking and is inhabited by techies.)

• maiingankwe says:

Sylvia,
        I took an economics class in tech college from an absolute worthless professor. He was dispicable. I remember him clearly saying, “If Ma’iingankwe can get straight A’s on our weekly quizzes why can’t any of you?” You know what I said? I told him and the class it was because I didn’t listen to a word he said and then kept mum. I’m serious, all I did was read the text book. He didn’t even write the quizzes and exams, it came straight from the book.

He was such a self-pompous idiot. The first day of class he would show everyone all of his wonderful credit cards. What a schmuck. As if all of those credit cards made him better than anyone. At least he thought so.

I never told him I just read from the book, but I did tell every student who asked me afterwards. Not surprisingly the test scores went up. How he got a job teaching economics is beyond me, he didn’t know what he was talking about, so I would spend the class time ignoring him and reading the text book. He hated me with a passion. He hated me because I was witness to him knocking on my friend’s door in the evening and barging in while she was trying to give her daughter a bath. I was in her daughter’s room cleaning up and helping out. I had been the one to convince her to file a sexual harassment report. She didn’t like him and had never given him her private information, he looked it up and decided because she was a young mother she must be easy. Yeah, he hated me.

But anyways Sylvia, I have to read these articles at least two to three times. It’s very difficult for me to understand as well. I may have gotten easy A’s, but it was from a tech college. I’m sure others may find this easy, but my brain doesn’t work this way. I just want you to know, you’re not alone, and I’m sure we’re not the only ones. I didn’t mean to go off on a tangent, it just brought up some nasty memories. I will say us Treepers are far better off for these economic lessons, we really are getting smarter whether we realize it or not. 😊 We are in great hands.
        Be well and stay strong, we’ve got this, and if we don’t, we can ask the other nice Treepers here.
        Ma’iingankwe

• Sylvia Avery says:

Thank you Ma’iingankwe for sharing your story. It was so interesting I was kind of on the edge of my seat as I read. I know it takes a lot to share personal things like that, and I appreciate it.

I can see where a lot of us have reason to have bad associations with the study of economics. What a blessing to have Sundance to teach us so well!

• maiingankwe says:

You’re right Sylvia, we are so blessed to not only have Sundance patiently teach us, but we have the best Tree House ever! You and so many others simply rock this place!
            Stay smiling,
            Ma’iingankwe

• Sylvia – you just had a bad teacher! I had a wonderful econ teacher in college at CalBerkely, of all places, that has stood me in good stead for decades! The concepts are very simple if taught properly.

I had the same experience with Physiology for Nurses, a High School course. The teacher was outstanding and, again, I’m still using the knowledge she imparted.

OTOH, I took the course again in community college, thinking I’d get a more in-depth picture of the same info! NOT SO! I had to drop it, it was so boring and absolutely made no sense. I would have doubted myself, but thanks to HS, I knew it was the prof’s fault!

• teaforall says:

That pic speaks volumes… warms your heart in many ways

• Tegan says:

When I see that wonderful photo, it looks to me as though POTUS is thinking…”This is why I am doing this!”

• I had tears, yelps of joy and total admiration as I watched that interaction unfold in person at Melbourne International Airport. One of my favorite pics also. And seeing AF1 pull up …Melania leading us in Our Lord’s Prayer…Will never forget.

• Sylvia Avery says:

You’re right, that whole rally was amazing. I loved Melania being there and saying The Lord’s Prayer.

Like you, and I bet most of those here, I was so incredibly moved by Gene coming up on stage. At first I laughed and thought it was funny, and something only our PDJT would think to do, but when Gene got up there and hugged our President, I was bawling. I felt like I could relate exactly to how Gene was feeling. So grateful, so relieved, so happy.

• nwtex says:

Who Is Gene Huber? Trump Invites Supporter At Florida Rally To Join Him On Stage, Says ‘A Star Is Born,’ In Potential Secret Service Nightmare
      02/19/17

2. MOA says:

Yep, why don’t we bring in a another coupla hundred thousand legal immigrants to soak of the available jobs…. and make sure a lot are non integrating muslims who hate our culture and our guts but quite like the welfare.

• Sylvia Avery says:

I heard today that the workforce participation number is going up, also. Sundance touched on that briefly in his article that people are starting to look for work now that FT jobs are becoming available rather than PT.

Also, it may have helped that states such as Alabama, Georgia, Kansas?, Maine, and at least one other IIRC have instituted work requirements for food stamps. It has cut Alabama’s food stamp recipients by 85 percent, Georgia’s by 58 percent, and I forget the rest. That is huge! Possibly some of those folks decided they might as well go get a job…

• brucefdb says:

Most of them are moving to the 3rd world……..California.

• fleporeblog says:

Sylvia the most exciting thing for me is the future employees that will reap the benefits of everything SD described above because they will be carrying the Main Stream torch as those trains head back to Florida. The current millennials have been destroyed because of the paradigm SD describes. 30% live at home because they are strapped with student loans and low paying jobs. This generation regrettably grew up under Bush (final years) and Barry. They were purposely forgotten because those trains were 700+ miles apart.

Generation Z will grow up under our President and his America First Policies that will allow them to flourish without ever stepping onto a college campus and incurring ridiculous debt.

Generation Z is the workforce that will embrace our Lion’s Apprenticeship Programs and Energy Dominance and most importantly carry Trumpism forward for the next 50+ years. It is truly a marriage made in HEAVEN!

From the article linked above:

You know all those teenagers with their face plastered in their iPhones, the ones skateboarding everywhere and whiling away their free time playing video games? Turns out they’re actually paying attention to politics — and they aren’t big fans of the only political party they’ve known up until now, the Democrats.

A new national survey by My College Options and the Hispanic Heritage Foundation gathered info from a whopping 50,000 “Generation Z” high school students ages 14 to 18 to gauge their political attitudes on the 2016 election. In what will surely be a surprise to the older generations yelling at Gen Z to get off our lawns, the survey found that a majority identify as Republican.

While all these kids will be able to vote in the 2020 election, let’s take first-time voters alone to start. The survey found that 46 percent of the 18-year-olds surveyed voted for Trump; just 31 percent went for Hillary Clinton. Sure, 6 percent said they “would choose not to vote in this election,” but just 11 percent went third party.

THIS IS AMERICANA at its best! Our Lion preparing the way for the future! Their kids will be told about the Lion that saved America. They will be brought up in homes that parents are financially able to make it and prosper.

• Sylvia Avery says:

It is a beautiful vision. I am hopeful PDJT can make it so!

• elize says:

Great article and comments Flep. 🙂 Reagan was president during my pre-teen thru high school grad years. Although politics weren’t talked about in our family, core conservative values were strongly re-enforced. I do remember my mother complaining about Carter and those horrid years and that has always stuck in my mind.

I pray and have great hope for generation Z.

• camulla says:

The Millennial generation could never recover. We need more improvements in these numbers.

• bessie2003 says:

All of President Trump’s Cabinet picks = a true Dream Team.

Thanks so much to CTH for providing these links, they are what constitutes the real news.

3. deplorabledaveinsocal says:

cognitive dissonance? It seems more like cognitive disconnect…

4. CountryclassVulgarian says:

Dear Mr. President, can we take a break from winning…..

Tomorrow????

Appreciate it. My cheeks are hurting from too much grinning.

5. Landslide says:

Remembering that during the campaign, candidate Trump would often say at rallies that his campign could be summed up in 3 words: JOBS, JOBS, JOBS!!! He also stated that he “would be the best jobs President that God ever created”!

6. Sloth1963 says:

Freeing access to gazillions of dollars worth of raw materials will also draw down prices while making further dents in unemployment. Love it 🙂

7. There is no better revenge than success. Now is not the time to stop winning.

8. Lunatic Fringe, Phd. [undocumented] says:

Oh but I’m sure this is all due to the astute economic plans that HRH Obama put into place before he left which would be __________.

Must be all those solar jobs finally kicking in.

9. Southpaw says:

Wage rates don’t have to rise to have more net income. Cheaper gas puts more money in your pocket. If we can get these SOB’s to allow competitive healthcare and change tax structure it is a raise without your employer paying anything.

10. luke says:

We are rapidly switching from an employer’s market to an employee’s. I empathize with business owners but this what we really need; a healthy spike in REAL wages.

• mimbler says:

Yes, but having lived through the carter years I can assure you, inflation doesn’t raise your standard of living, it reduces it.

And a spike in wages without an increase in productivity is just inflation.

Now, I know you said a healthy spike in REAL wages, but that doesn’t come from a labor shortage.

We need to get PDJT’s regulation cuts in place, encourage innovation and increase productivity to get those real wage increases that actually help people.

Mike

• G. Combs says:

You can thank Reagan who allowed all the hostile takeovers and leveraged buyouts that gutted American medium size businesses and left us with foreign owned Trans-nationals.

Statistics (courtesy of Bridgewater) showed in 1990, before WTO was ratified, Foreign ownership of U.S. assets amounted to 33% of U.S. GDP. By 2002 this had increased to over 70% of U.S. GDP. http://www.fame.org/HTM/greg%20Pickup%201%2010%2003%20report.htm (very old link)

• carrierh says:

luke, I would hope you are referring to the business conglomerates which I hope Trump will see that they are made to release takeovers of small businesses and think they own us, our money and our country. We need many small companies, just not more conglomerates!

11. WeThePeople2016 says:

Yesterday afternoon, the stock market took a nose dive and I said what in the world is going on? Well, FBN was saying it was because a report is saying that the jobs numbers coming out today will be less than what the economists are predicting, blah, blah, blah. Yet, FBN did not say whose report. Lo and behold, it turns out the so-called report was from the New York Times and other left-wing Trump-bashing outlets. Today, the jobs number is great and was HIGHER than predicted, and yet, no correction or mention of the New York Times report. Apparently, CNN was silent on today’s report and the N.Y. Slimes mentioned it in a brief passing.

It is obvious that they wanted to get ahead of the story yesterday, and to kill the stock market, which is what happened. Today, not a peep from them.

• mimbler says:

Yes, I’m seeing a trend here. Obama’s labor figures always came in high, were reported, and then silently corrected downwards later.

PDJT’s seem to come in low, are lamented, then silently raised afterwards.

I’ll have to pay attention and see if this is the trend we’ll see for the next 7 years,

• WeThePeople2016 says:

Yes, I noticed that trend too. Also, notice that the Fed never raised interest rates the whole 8 years O was in office, then immediately does it when Trump becomes President.

• mimbler says:

Oh absolutely! And we knew they (yellin) would hoping to tank his economy. Isn’t working so far! 🙂
          Mike

• carrierh says:

Frankly, I thing the Federal Reserve, which is a large private bank, is removed and interest rates are not by a bank at all. We need better treasury oversight and I think that is also on Trump’s agenda and the sooner the better.

• Sylvia Avery says:

Thanks for sharing this. Those rat b——s. Probably also hoping to buzzkill a bit over PDJT’s fabulous Warsaw speech. I wish I subscribed to the failing NYT just so I could cancel it.

12. aprilyn43 says:

Bet this “Trump Does It Right” puts Americans back to work news story won’t on the liberal propaganda news media reports.
    Zero to 5 seconds of coverage!
    They all need to have their agencies Shut Down !!!

13. Gil says:

OPpo articles from both wapo and cnn came out right about the same time today, brushing off all gains and excusing obama economy when compared in timeframe.

Utterly laughable to put in print:

“In fact, if Obama left a problem for Trump, it wasn’t that the economy was too weak — it was that the labor market was almost too strong. Employers would probably be hiring faster if they weren’t having so much trouble finding the workers they need.”

Wapo went after coal/mining/construction as insignificant.

Without SD, I would have a hard time seeing the path ahead as succinct. Ty.

• camulla says:

I was out of work for most of the previous administration, and companies refuse to hire people who are not precise matches to the jobs that are available. Companies can’t find people because management refuses to consider that people who are smart and work hard but don’t have stable work histories could be valuable assets. Education and good grades are considered worthless, and all that matters is who people know and whether or not those people have had previous jobs doing what companies require.

• Gil says:

I think many did not or do not even care if you have had experience. HR appears incapable of evaluating a whole person as a potential employee.
        Is it laziness, fear of lawsuits if that person doesnt work out or a generational decline in social skill sets that leave current HR clueless?
        So right now they’re adding hours to bring people up to FT, but soon theyll have to add, and add, and add.
        They will have to hire among the other pool or their companies will suffer.

• camulla says:

I think I applied to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of jobs and couldn’t get hired because I didn’t have experience. I disagree here because I have personal knowledge and know of friends who also could not get hired.

• camulla says:

People need to push back on the social networks against what CNN said here. The network is getting the situation wrong. We had tens of millions of people out of work and hundreds and thousands of applicants to jobs that have been open, but Americans just can’t get hired.

• vicschick says:

I hear you. My husband, who has been a machinist for 40 years, got laid off three years ago. The recession finally hit the oilfield market in Texas. I cannot tell you how many jobs he applied for that hundreds of other machinists had applied for. He FINALLY found a job but is making $7 an hour LESS than he was just three years ago. So many machinists out of work that it drove the wages down by HUGE amounts. It is really sad what has happened in manufacturing.

• Gil says:

My dad was a machinist in aerospace. Clinton broke that egg. It really devastated him.

• camulla says:

I understand. Those who were not in the job market don’t understand what we have seen because people who had jobs didn’t have the competition. I’m glad things seem to be improving.

• PDQ says:

They are not having trouble in the H1B world, there are many non-Americans being hired.
      Not sure why that is not front and center…it is killing white collar peeps.

14. Not tired of winning!

15. Sylvia Avery says:

When I read posts like yours, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. But then I tell myself to be patient. There will come a time when even the most low info types will pull their heads out of their video games or whatever and look around and realize, “Hey, things are better, aren’t they?”

• camulla says:

I would like to believe that people would, but we have to start talking to people about good news that comes from the administration and telling low information voters our press would never report positive news from the administration because their bias makes them hate the administration.

16. Bouchart says:

How many young people graduate college in June? 222,000 is anemic.

17. fred5678 says:

It may be just a coincidence, but just today I signed a one year, full-time teaching for 10 months, employment contract. My first full-time job since 2003.

I am in a celebratory mood, needless to say, so I had an extra large bowl of ice cream.

• elize says:

Graties! 🙂

• elize says:

And to add to that…my husbands work schedule for next week shows increased hours, am hoping it’s a sign of things turning around. I was shocked when they reduced management hours and cut other employees hours the other year. Fortunately, I’m an accountant and when I saw what Obama was implementing asap when he got into office, I paid off and stayed out of debt and we managed to survive his reign of destruction. Ty Jesus!

18. Emmet Dene says:

this is good for most under retirement age. us poor seniors on a fixed income are slowly drowning as costs continue to increase but our income stays stagnant.

19. weRT234% says:

Show me the labor force participation rate. The government’s unemployment numbers are smoke, mirrors and virtually meaningless. Things are getting better, but lets look at things that are real indicators of progress.

20. Buck Turgidson says:

We need to stop immigration and relegate it to the dustbin of history. With our 20% unemployment and increasing automation and mechanization of everything, we have no need to import one additional ‘worker.’ These ‘economists’ vastly underestimate the negative impacts of immigration on our economy, and society. Not only do they drive down wages, all of the costs of immigration (which are massive) are socialized and dumped on the backs of the taxpayer.