DOE Issues Statement on Energy Star Thermostat Report….

The needle on the CTH winnamometer momentarily pegs ‘too much‘…

[Backstory Here] After quite widespread discussion on the Energy Star Thermostat Report, and the ridiculous recommendations to set thermostat to 82° when sleeping, the U.S. Department of Energy (Secretary Rick Perry) issued the following statement:

…”It is the position of DOE that Americans should set their thermostats to whatever temperature they choose.”..  (link)

(source link)

Victory!

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, Donald Trump, energy, Environmentalism, EPA, Glo-Bull Warming, President Trump, Rick Perry, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

220 Responses to DOE Issues Statement on Energy Star Thermostat Report….

1. Apropos of the air conditioning fiasco, Daniel Greenfield has a great article on his blog. The title says it all “Environmentalists killed more Europeans than Islamic Terrorists.”

Hard to believe that LESS THAN 5% OF EUROPEANS HAVE AC, less than freakin’ INDIA.

“A higher percentage of Indian households have air conditioning than their former British colonial rulers.”

• Revelation says:

We dont need AC in the UK. Apart from the occasional two week heatwave (which is far from being an annual event) it simply doesn’t get that hot here.

Now central heating on the other hand is mandatory.

• ibid says:

..and heat is by far more important in building codes that refrigeration.
        People die from heat. AC cooling? Not so much.

• Good to know. Hope you guys stay warm. when appropriate.

• dimbulbz says:

When I lived in Western Washington (’59 -’99), my neighbors were amused that we installed AC in our house. 25 years ago it simply was a luxury. When you typically have your heat on on the 4th of July, AC is just not an issue there. Maybe for a week. But People in Western Washington start to melt when its over 80. Texas was an eye opener for us, heatwise. But I love Texas.

2. 1stgoblyn says:

My house was built mid-50s and did not have AC when we purchased it in the 70s. We put ceiling fans in every single room (except the bathrooms, of course) and used those and box fans in the summer. Two years ago the original furnace gave up the ghost and it was replaced and AC added at the same time. The HVAC team who installed the furnace and AC replaced the programmable thermostat (which was about 15 years old but still working very well) with one of their own. Previously I had been setting the heat at 65-66 in the winter and was comfortable. Now I have to have to set the thermostat around 70 or above in the winter and 76-78 in the summer. I have often wondered why we humans are not ‘comfortable’ with the same temp all year round. I mean if we are okay with the thermostat set at 70 in the winter, why aren’t we comfortable with that same temp in the summer? Afterall, we are inside, not outside in the heat/cold.

• Shelley Childs says:

I’ve noticed the same for shower temperatures, in that what is cool and comfortable in the summer is frigid and clammy in the winter.

I think it has to do with the fact that in winter you’re fighting a constant loss of body heat, and in the summer it’s the reverse especially, if like me, your thermal padding has increased with age (thank you Menopause Fairy!) and what used to be tolerably warm has turned into soft-boil.

• techherder says:

😳😆 My body thermostatic thingamigig broke some where age around 70. Heat and I no longer get along. My niece is always too cold or too hot. 58 winter 81 summer, So her and EPA must be in cahoots.

• Bill Hollinger says:

Interesting. The heat is incredibly hard on me too (I’m a month shy of 77). I assumed this was another unwelcome visitor arriving as the number of decades mounted, and apparently that’s correct.

• Ozwitch says:

Our bodies react to changing seasons – in the winter we produce more red blood cells i.e. our blood ‘thickens’ to combat cold and keep our internal temperature warm. We become acclimatised to the cold. In the summer the opposite happens. Notice how at the start of each season we react strongly to heat or cold but by the end of it we have become used to the extremes. You notice this particularly when you travel to somewhere with a different season.
      I think also the sunlight which is radiant heat, is a trigger for body temperature control, but I am not sure how this works.

3. Wayne Robinson says:

Mr President /please sir can we have our light bulbs back ? I must turn on my lights ten minutes before i need them to give them time to come up to brightness . In other words they save nothing in energy or time and add aggravation that is unneeded by anyone .

• switch to LED lights, those CFL’s are trash. LED’s are instantly bright last forever and cost almost nothing to run and generate little to no heat.

• Bendix says:

That’s another thing. I live in upstate New York, we use heat 9 months of the year, and I’m told my incandescent bulb is “inefficient”.
        When I sit up reading later in the evening, I’m able to lower the thermostat, and still be comfortable with the extra warmth of the bulb.

• bessie2003 says:

Are the LED lights the ones with mercury in them?

and, do they work in regular, or older lamps, or do these new light bulbs have to be used in newer manufactured lamps?

Asking because my hoarded supply of real light bulbs is getting low and have to keep what ones I have on hand for using in the outdoor cabinet we built around our water line to the house, even though insulated and with heat tape to the water line, it still gets cold enough and often enough that the extra heat produced by the real, original, light bulbs is perfect to insure the water line doesn’t freeze, so have been thinking about switching to one of these newer type bulbs (which produce No heat) for the indoor fixtures.

Obviously, not a scientist here, so helpful answers greatly appreciated.

• Bendix says:

CFL had the mercury.
          You can still buy what they call “rough service” incandescent bulbs online.
          That’s the extent of my lighting expertise.

• bessie2003 says:

Thank you; will look into ‘rough service’ incandescent bulbs.

• Ozwitch says:

Incandescent bulbs use power about 4 times as much as LEDs. Our power bill is the same now as it was 30 years ago, but back then the lights took up over half of the power usage. Now they take up about 15% but of course we have a gazillion other things on the circuit. If we still had incandescent bulbs our power bill would be even more horrendous. We use smart LEDs where you can change the temperature and colour by an app.

• TeeJay says:

Bessie,
          Yes, the new LED bulbs come with the old-style screw-in bases. They are wonderful lights, consuming about 1/4 of what incandescents do. So a 15W LED will replace an old 60W bulb for the same brightness. They are also available in many color temperatures. A color chart is here: https://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/colortemp

• accurite1 says:

CFL’S were crap, period! I purchased a home in 2015 and replaced all lighting with LED’s and love them. I have never had to replace one bulb. The only thing I noticed is the kitchen where I have diming spotlights, I do not like the lights dimmed. It gives off a funny light that seems to slightly flicker. Other than that LED’s are the way to go. Also, I am not an enviro wacko leftist but a true red-blooded American, a conservative!

• Ha! I lived in Nova Scotia for a long time and did the same thing. At some point, though, I switched from heated box to wrapping around with heat tape, and then a narrow box around that padded with a bit of fiberglass insulation. Worked fine for years.

• bessie2003 says:

We already have that, heat tape, the box around that is padded with insulation, but still had frozen pipes on year, -20F that year so after thawing set up the old outdoor hanging light with a 60w bulb, just that extra bit of heat made the difference.

• Keith D. Rodebush says:

When I lived in Alaska, on the really cold nights Dad would put a drop light with a 100 watt bulb in the engine compartment, close the hood and throw a blanket over it. Started up lickety split every time! 🙂

• ThisWeDefend says:

I use LEDs, too, but like CFLs, and the ‘Bulb Ban’, they are also jsut another leftist scam. They advertise 10-12yr life-cycle (varies slightly by mfg), but we’ve yet to get any of them to make it past 1yr! Most barely make it past the half-year mark. While I viewed 10-12yrs as optimist marketing hype, I certainly expected them to function significantly longer than 1yr.
        When I was a kid, we bought a case of incandescent 60w bulbs from the Council of the Blind. When we auctioned off the farm, years later, most of those same bulbs were still burning strong . That was over a 30-35year period!
        Honest, quality products are certainly rare in this modern, factitiously woke, age.
        TWD

• Ozwitch says:

Buy better ones. Ours are six years old and we haven’t lost one. We paid more then the normal price but it was worth it. It’s all in the quality.

• Lefty says:

While LED are vastly superior to CFL, I’d refute the rest of your statement. I was an earlier adopter of LED bulbs. LED’s don’t last forever as I’ve been using LED’s for years and have had to replace many of them over the years. Its also not true that LED’s generate no heat. Most LED bulbs have a built in metal heatsink to dissipate the heat generated. That’s why most LED bulbs are quite a bit heavier than a CFL or incandescent bulb, its the extra circuitry and heat sink. Some my LED’s still get very hot. While they won’t scorch you like an incandescent, they certainly get hot.
        And while it is true they cost almost nothing to run, they typically have a much much higher initial cost, so you many or may not save much money depending on the life of the bulb. Some LED’s are only rated for 10,000 hour lifespan while others are rated 20,000-30,000 hours, but it certainly isn’t forever. I’ve paid between $20 and $50 for smart LED bulbs too, and they too have failed well before their stated lifespan, but after their warranty was up. Those are not going to save you any money most likely.

• iwasthere says:

Well, it’s kinda BS on how long they last claims. But they do last longer than the cheap – O china outsourced – incandescence bulbs. Those were getting ridiculous how quick they popped.

4. TreeClimber says:

Pardon me for being the pessimist in the room, but considering we already have “smart meters” installed on buildings that can/have been remotely controlled by the government/utility company, I fear that this may well end up coming back to bite us…

• GenEarly says:

Consider yourself “Bit”!!! The platform is there, just waiting to implement, probably by State mandated law in some Prog-marxist democRat Utopia.

• Jim S. says:

If one can control carbon (Climate Change), one can control ever aspect of another person’s life (smart meters, MPG, what type of car, how far you can drive it (mileage limits), how much gas for heating, how cool one’s house can be and on and on.) That’s what climate change (global warming) is really about, authoritarianism.

• I live in Florida and have FPL service which received mega millions from the Obama “Stickittous”, In order to refuse to have their monitoring device I must pay an extra $13.00 per month to have my analog meter read. I don’t mind if Santa knows when I am sleeping and knows when I am awake but Gummit, not so much.

• LivLovely101 says:

That was my first thought! They can’t wait to fiddle with the new Smart electric meters they have put in our homes. The 82° suggestion was just a trial balloon they floated to see what the reaction would be. So now they will nudge us along a degree at a time…

• LivLovely101 says:

5. Carly says:

Ban autoflushing toilets. They are much too sensitive and recondition folks to not flush.

6. Eagle61 says:

Good job Gov. Perry. He’s from Texas, he knows A.C. is essential.

7. Bendix says:

Just last evening people in a group meeting I attended were reminding a mentally challenged woman, who had been having serious problems with her breathing, to keep that air conditioning running in the sticky, humid weather we’ve been having.
    If she were to follow the guidelines of those who profess to know everything, and set her AC at 82 overnight, if it ran at all, it would not run long enough to remove the humidity, which is the whole point of having it.

8. Bendix says:

I remember there was a minor scandal, back in the 90’s I think it was, when there had been a rebate program to replace old air conditioners and perhaps other appliances, with the ones with the energy star sticker.

The problem was, people were replacing perfectly good appliances, and spending money to do so, even with the rebate, with appliances which were not necessarily any more efficient.

Yes, you read that right. All the sticker meant was that the manufacturer had their product added to the list, and was authorized to use the sticker.

9. Texian says:

Right from the beginning I had figured Mr. Perry was not in on this thermostat thing.. And had expected a top down response from him on this matter..

If he sees a snake.. If he sees a coyote..

Well.. Texans already know what happens next..

10. sturmudgeon says:

Regarding the “Education” issue… what is (if any) the progress on our Education Secretary? Is she gaining ground on actually having the children “learning” something? Anyone?

• Bendix says:

As far as I can see, she has the same stupid mindset as most of the rest of the education establishment.
      We are supposed to wait, because there are other priorities?
      How does a wall being a priority keep the Secretary of Education from doing anything?
      What do we have a Secretary of Education for?

She did revoke the Obama insane college rape policy, at least I heard it was being done.

11. JTR says:

When I lived in Scotland, (in the 90’s), nobody had AC. I was impressed! However, if the temp got over 70 degrees, everyone thought we were having a tropical heatwave!

All of the office girls would go to the park for lunch, and strip their tops off! Boobs galore! I thought it was funny, but all of the guys I worked with would go to the park just to “stroll around”.

I actually saw it snow in June! I got so excited, I called my DH to tell him. He said “So”?

12. lurker2 says:

This was a 2009 report. Who started sending it around so that it was in the news like it was from this year?

• lurker2 says:

Here’s an interesting 2009 response by NEMA to the 2009 recommendations: https://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/prod_development/revisions/downloads/thermostats/NEMA-Comments.pdf

Paragraph 17, Set Point Temperatures

Line 441: 82 degrees for a setback in Cool at night will lead to consumers disabling this device. If EPA is planning on studying usability, we recommend the study should find out what percentage of users are willing to adopt the 82 degree night time setting for cooling. This has always been a sticking point for users with the preprogrammed settings. This was one of the original tenets of the Energy Star thermostat program if the user set time and day and hit run program they got instant energy savings. Instead it became one of the reasons the users didn’t use programming and opted for the hold button. We would recommend returning to the previously suggested temperature of 78 degrees night setback.

I’m not 100% certain but I believe that in order for a thermostat to be Energy Star certified it had to have a default program that implemented the brutally warm (for most Americans, at least) summertime AC settings. And NEMA appropriately points out that those settings are simply going to be defeated by turning off the programming and just setting the temps manually. Which is what I do all of the time. I adjust as I need to.

13. It is the position of DOE that Americans should set their thermostats to whatever temperature they choose.
    Now that sounds a whole lot more like Rick Perry than ” set thermostat to 82° when sleeping. He is from Texas and should know that 82° is just not practical or comfortable.

• lurker2 says:

I’m seeing it’s a little bit more complex than originally conveyed to us. I think the 2009 report that everyone is just now reading 🙂 was really an Energy Star thermostats requirement that Obama’s DOE converted into recommendations for consumers. But I see what they did there, they implement brutal requirements but then put out a cheery brochure telling people how wonderful and efficient they’ll be, and how much extra money they have, if they comply with the brutal requirements. Austerity, we’re supposed to be happy about it. We’ve already been through this with low-flow appliances and toilets and shower heads. We’re being good comrades, comrade! We get a little star!

I still haven’t figured out why an old 2009 report suddenly started making the rounds of twitter and news programs as if it were published this year.

• Bill Hollinger says:

I can imagine his reaction when he was that bit of nonsense from his agency.

• lurker2 says:

It wasn’t Perry’s though. The report was issued in 2009. The DOE head was Steven Chu. He’s a skinny physicist. Probably cold all of the time, likes a hot house. 🙂

14. Cocoon says:

No hotel would apply EPA recommendations!
    ‘Nuff said.

15. pyromancer76 says:

I noticed comments on education above, and while being in the field and being appalled at the communist inroads into our education, I want the economic and political voting-fraud and attempted-coup problems taken care of first. So much to do. Such a little time to do it in. One step at a time to solve the major issues while our President has all of them in the air for their timely focus — educating us all the while.

16. yonason says:

Trial balloon pops.
    DOE walks it back.

If Dems were in charge, it wouldn’t be retracted.

Some background on the “Energy Star” scam.
    What’s not for a socialist to love?

It’s not dying fast enough for
    Me.