President Trump travels to Pittsburgh, PA, today to tour the Shell cracker plant and deliver remarks on “America’s Energy Dominance and Manufacturing Revival.” The anticipated start time is 2:10pm EST. [Update – Video Added]

The GST Livestream is active now – all others will activate closer to speech time.

White House LivestreamFox News LinkRSBN LinkGST Link (active now)

This entry was posted in Big Government, Economy, energy, Environmentalism, EPA, President Trump, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to President Trump Delivers Remarks on U.S. Energy and Manufacturing Revival – 2:10pm EST Livestream…

1. Sherri Young says:

I wish he would ease up and quit trying to flood the market with cheap oil. It is not good for the actual producers. Let the price rise to around $65/bbl and we can all breath better without wasting our resources.

• MAGADJT says:

He doesn’t control the amount of oil produced like OPEC does. The drillers are the ones who harvest the oil. All he does is try to create the best conditions possible to incent production.

• SwampRatTerrier says:

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Besides OIL is a WEAPON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About time the U.S. was using it instead of being tricked into needless wars that murders American troops.

• Sherri Young says:

There are federal oil leases in our offshore waters and on federal land too. I can understand that producers would want to lease up to have access. However, usually O&G leases have limitations on the period of time that a lease can be held without commencing drilling. In Texas that usually is three years. I don’t know what the period is on federal lands outside this state. So, if your own the working interest in a unit, you need to poke a hole in the ground. There are not so many dry holes anymore. With the upfront expenses of lease bonuses and legal then drilling and early transportation, you have to go large enough to cover your costs. O&G businesses cannot simply sit on those leases. They are in use it or lose it mode at the start of such a project. Later, they may be in the position to choke back production to adjust to the prices.

• simplewins says:

Uh, no thank you. $55 a barrel works for me and many others.

• Brewingfrog says:

Many of the producers here in Texas are able to make a profit at $35/bbl. The market is what dictates price, not some bureaucrat or even the President hissownself. That is how it should be…

• Jaek says:

Well one thing positive that it does is keep Russia on their heels. Their oil revenue is way down and it keeps them from investing/meddling in areas we’d rather not have them meddling in. Iran sells a little oil but lower prices hurt them too. Lastly, have you seen the inflation numbers? Low gas prices are keeping inflation at around zero. It’s supposed to drop farther this fall. All good….

• willthesuevi says:

Sherri,
      This “problem” will solve itself like it has for the last 60 years. I am a small independent O&G producer with production in Colorado and New Mexico. We did this to ourselves, again.

When the rest of the US economy was struggling with the Obama recovery, there were few industries or markets where the Investment Banking business was lucrative. The shale plays across the US were really heating up. Offshore technology was becoming more cost effective onshore. Investment Bankers started throwing money at my industry. (Oh goody)

There are multiple reasons this is not good for either group. Short version – IB focuses on quarterly earnings. The O&G Industry is a long term, patience game. I run on cash flow but while I am developing a field things can get pretty lean on the balance sheet. My last play I did not see any significant revenue for over 4 years. The IB industry would not stand for that – at all.

My point being, many of these organizations that are working on this money are forced into shortsighted decisions that may make short term sense but long term stupid. Without getting into the weeds, the current US shale play is an oilfield version of a legal ponzi scheme. They cannot stop drilling or they go broke. This is a very complicated business and the playing field is littered with the remains of companies that play short term games.

I see the Texas shale play drying up from the current boom. It will not die, but it will certainly reset. Already big players are seeing their corporate value shrink significantly. Simply put, even with the amazing rates these Delaware Basin wells are coming in at, the development costs are still too high. The recent article in the WSJ about Pioneer Resources explains it better than I.

I am not picking on Investment Bankers. Their goals are just not conducive to good, long term, oil or gas field development.

And again, this is only my opinion. YMMV

• Sherri Young says:

About nine years ago, Karl Denninger wrote a scathing blog post on master limited partnerships that were so popular among pipeline companies around that time. IIRC, Kinder Morgan used that structure…at least until the company couldn’t hold up anymore. There is something about paying yourself with borrowed money that just does not work.

• zorrorides says:

TY Willthesuivi for answering. Can I ask a question?
        My understanding is that horizontal Permian and Mid-con wells are drilled in tight source shales that lie beneath the sands and limestones produced by older vertical wells, where just a few top feet of formation were perforated and fracked.

What would happen if horizontal drilling was used in porous sands/limestones where vertical drilling has been in production? Is the legal lease and royalty determination too difficult? Would these wells just produce too much water? Has it been tried anywhere?

Inquiring minds, ya know… You sound like a person who can explain things. Thanks

• willthesuevi says:

zorro,
          Short answer is, it is outside of my expertise. I have never operated in either of those areas and never had a well in limestone or dolomite combined with porous sands. Sounds interesting.

What I have witnessed in our area are the horizontal wells in older under pressured previously produced formations presents lots of challenges. Even drilling the horizontal leg uphill defeats the purpose of helping liquid drainage if the wellbore camelbacks.

In our area even the massive frac jobs are still only reaching out 300 feet or so. We still have a 60% decline in the first year. The experts said that would not happen with the long wellbore. Not sure why they thought that, I never did. The reality is no matter how much formation is contacted, the money spent to get there barely offsets the costs to make it happen. Especially the completion costs. The occasional elephant is not frequent enough to sustain the capital outlay. Again, my opinion. That and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee. 🙂

Sorry I couldn’t answer your question. An older Reservoir Engineer who has worked that area would have a much better answer than I. I say older not because someone young couldn’t answer, but someone who operated those vertical wells for years would be expected to have more background knowledge.

• zorrorides says:

Oh I very much appreciate your answer, Will. I can tell that it’s reliable. As near as I can see, just by asking around, horizontal hasn’t been tried in porous formations produced by horizontal wells, onshore central US. Offshore drilling may be a ‘yes’ on that.
            Thanks again!

2. We are Winning while Dems are Whining.

3. thedoc00 says:

Just a little history behind this “Energy” site in Monaca, PA. My father was the general manager of the St. Joe (Flora Industries) Zinc Smelting Operation that used to occupy this site. It was the largest and one of the last zinc smelting operations in the US. They were shut down by a combination of Union Demands and Foreign Zinc dumping operations into the US. He worked at this very location for over 30 years, having started as a brick mason who rebuilt the interior of furnaces used to make the zinc and coke. Just down the river from this operation, in Midland PA is an atomic power plant. Another interesting bi-product of the operation was medical grade Sulphuric Acid.

• william elbel says:

I visited the Shell cracker construction site last month as a drive by and was impressed by the progress already made and the gigantic scale.

I do worry however that Union demands may once again become excessive with predictable results.

4. JoAnn Dugas says:

the people in the background are so solemn. Usually you see a little more enthusiasm.

5. JC says:

Outstanding speech. Filled with optimism, encouragement, hope and… energy. The deep love this President has for America and Americans is palpable and unbelievably powerful. Beats me how any Democrat can even begin to try to run against this level of success, prosperity and strength. They’ve already lost. Thank you, Mr. President.

6. antiDave says:

What’s the deal with the small group in the row behind the prez that won’t even clap for other Americans or for any of the great news?

• JC says:

Noticed them immediately, aDave. How embarrassing for them to be so obviously obtuse.

• Devil in the Blue Drapes says:

I was distracted by them also Dave. The black man over POTUS’ left shoulder, the Indian looking woman behind him (she managed to muster a gold clap at the end), and particularly the dour woman behind POTUS’ right.

She and another woman hidden directly behind POTUS seemed to have a secret agreement….”we’re on camera, so let’s show our fellow feminists how much we detest Trump”.

It’s doubtful if she understands the vast difference in wages she’ll make in this industry v community organizing.

• curator55 says:

antiDave:

The woman on the left might be an unappreciative Dem or she had something bothering her at home etc. Looks and impressions don’t always reveal what’s up so I won’t claim to know. Maybe the messages on her Smart phone were important and distracting her. But it doesn’t look good to see somber unresponsive faces and no clapping by some during a one hour speech.

The comments here are also skimpy at this time which indicates some people might be getting used to the creation of 600 or so permanent jobs plus construction jobs in areas that used to be loaded with the forgotten men and women. It was a good speech but perhaps too long for the working group.

7. no-nonsense-nancy says:

Being a lifelong Pennsylvanian I am so happy that industries are coming back to our state. I would be thrilled if a couple of the closed down steel mills in my area would start up again. Lukans Steel in Coatesville and Bethleham Steel.

• Sharpshorts says:

I watched the decline of US Steel’s plant in Fairless Hills, Pa. (along the Delaware).
      At least two generations of highly paid jobs…gone.

• Kent says:

What a great event by President Trump….

Back in the eighties I hauled many a load of liquid oxygen into steel mills in PA and nearby states….I’m proud for the people of Beaver County and surrounding areas for landing such a large project! Been there done that….happens that I work in a Shell process hydrocracker in an oil refinery now…these are good paying jobs and they need to stay in the USA…I can relate to the third generation worker..Jason?? and the lady who returned to PA from Texas…I was so grateful to be able to return home and make a good living….my grandfather worked in my plant in WWII, my dad came here after serving in the Korean War and raised our family, my brother has been here over forty years and December will be twenty years for me…

A shout out from Southeast Texas to my union brothers and sisters AND to non-union hands too! I’ve been on both sides of that coin…..

Trump 2020…let’s KEEP America GREAT!….(and keep china from stealing our jobs)…..

• ann says:

Sharp shots: , “At least two generations of highly paid jobs….gone”
        evocative words dismissed by policy crafters of both political parties.
        For thirty plus years Capitol Hill’s had a big neon “For Sale or Lease” sign glowing, beckoning, come one, come all.
        Most voters knew, even if inarticulate, Congress’s disapproval rating expressed our contempt.
        Now we can start pulling the plug on the Uniparty’s National Estate Sale.
        Despite “ Resist”. Ha!

Leaders of both parties crafted economic policy that catered to their patrons, foreign & transnational corps, private mega donors, and saddest of all, competitors and predatory foreign countries.
        This caste of career politicians, their staffers, and client constituencies are MAD. At us.

What effrontery! Breadwinner jobs! PRODUCTIVE work! Rebuild our country’s infrastructure and critical industries!
        breadwinner jobs are force multipliers, cohesive glue that will heal this fractured polity.

If we visualize our country as a patient, by electing POTUS, Americans are showing we possess the inner will to have health.

• Sharpshorts says:

Ann – Agreed…All of history shows that leaders often fail their people.
          Our Declaration of Independence is a simple two paragraph description of the reality of life.
          President Trump understands it completely and is reminding Americans of it’s truths.

–Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776-
          “When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.”

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.”