Motegi and Lighthizer Meeting Right Now…

Based on time zones (Japan is 13 hours ahead), and considering Lighthizer left on Thursday; it would appear Japanese Economy Minister Toshimitsu Motegi and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer are meeting right about now.

(Reuters) – Japanese Economy Minister Toshimitsu Motegi said on Friday that he will meet with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer in Tokyo on Saturday for trade talks ahead of a summit meeting between leaders from the two nations on Monday.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and U.S. President Donald Trump are expected to discuss topics including North Korea’s nuclear programs, trade issues and the coming Group of 20 leaders’ summit. (link)

Following the State Dinner to celebrate the beginning of the Reiwa Era, introduced with the coronation of Japanese Emperor Naruhito, President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe are scheduled to hold a summit and joint press conference on Monday.

There is a rumor their presser may include a “significant announcement.”

I cannot think of a non-splendid reason for Ambassador Lighthizer to fly all the way to Japan if Trump and Abe didn’t have something planned.

…just sayin’.

This entry was posted in Auto Sector, Donald Trump, Economy, Japan, media bias, Trade Deal, US dept of agriculture, US Treasury, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to Motegi and Lighthizer Meeting Right Now…

1. teeheeman says:

Goody! Not tired of winning yet. Apply more leverage on the Chinese leaders.

• Trump & Abe, Chinese checkers anyone?

• Sentient says:

The Japanese need some leverage applied to them, too. Last time I checked the sum total of ALL auto imports sold in Japan – Ford, Chrysler, GM, Audi, Hyundai, Mercedes, BMW, Fiat, Rolls Royce, Saab, Peugeot, etc etc was 4% of auto sales in Japan. They employ a variety of non-tariff barriers to keep foreign vehicles out.

• Maquis says:

Well, we don’t make many Kei cars. Have you seen their roads? True, there are barriers, but it’s not all due to that. Quality counts. Size matters too.

I love small cars, wish I could get a modern variation of the Honda 600 I had in High School. Kids would pick it up and put it crossways in my parking spot!

• Dutchman says:

Maquis,
          Had one of those, we called it “oversised motorised roller skate”!
          Fun car, lots of stories about it, too long to post.
          For leverage with Japan, PDJT is using India, as I understand it. Abe is negotiating whats best for Japan, and thats fine. Enlightened self interest.

Bet whatever they come up with, CCP won’t like it!

• Vince says:

Well, we don’t make many Kei cars. That’s our own car company’s fault. A skill we seem to have lost is to actually travel to a market, see what the people want , and then go home and make that. Tariffs can’t fix that kind of stupid.

• trishinsouthernillinois says:

LOL that brings back memories.
          My friend had a little Honda when we were in high school. Bunch of guys picked it up & put it cattywompus against the inside corner of a building shaped like this —> Г
          Took a while to find another bunch of guys to get it out! LOL

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

The Japanese will not buy American cars. That is just their mindset. They demand Japanese quality cars. They buy Japanese.

Americans were once the same.
          They are the same with rice, their sake and most of their food. Some of the richest people in Japan are farmers.
          They own most of the land. My ex’s family were farmers. They actually own a town. They are loaded.

I am surprised that they may buy American beef. They are frightened of disease.

Energy….LNC…Military hardware….Soybeans, Corn, Building car plants and other plants in America I believe will be most of the agreement

Just saying

• rah says:

Domestic rice production in Japan is protected by tariffs and quotas. I don’t blame them. It is a staple that they have every reason to protect. But yes, the Japanese prefer their domestic rice.

• mireilleg says:

When I was in Japan late 60’s, I had a honda 360. Loved that thing. I wish I could have one today.

• Maquis says:

I love small cars and big trucks, but especially love my little cars. I’d dearly love to have a nice Japanese sub-liter car to zip around in again. I got 48 MPG in 1980, try doing that today without being saddled with an expensive heavy battery.

• tonyE says:

Oddly, the “japanese” cars made in the US don’t sell very well in Japan either.

It’s a really weird place. I remember seeing a lot of cars with banged up side mirrors. Their “roads” would be small alleys for us. Yet, somehow they manage to have parking on both sides and put two lanes of car traffic and a bunch of bicycles. I recall almost being run over as I crossed an “alley”… it was a main throughfare!

I used to joke with my 6’3” coworker, when he went to Japan for a work stint, that at night his head would be in the bedroom and his feet in the kitchen.

• Sunshine says:

India also happy. As Sundance outlined, there is a trilateral strategy. Sad China. Or maybe angry China. Either way, China is bewildered.

• G S says:

Brazil vice-President is busy in China this week.

2. Genie says:

“Let’s have Chinese for lunch.”

3. Grandma Covfefe says:

Ooooh, I’m looking forward to this announcement.. More winning.

Let have another Winamin Party.
    Where’s that MAGA Roller Coaster, Sundance?

4. Maquis says:

Even the Chinese curse “May you live in interesting times” is getting the good old Trump boomerang retargeting treatment. This is interesting as heck and I feel fine!

5. montanamel says:

Dang spell checker….. Thats:

Let’s have CHINA for lunch…..

There, fixed it…. Check-6

/sic

6. Grandma Covfefe says:

Sweet and Sour….
    Yum my favorite

7. Perot Conservative says:

Deal? Or tentative deal? Great. MSM was predicting NOTHING! Fools!

If I recall, large auto imbalance with Japan, how can we address that?

Would be great to add in Taiwan or such. Hong Kong?!?!

• Maquis says:

“If I recall, large auto imbalance with Japan, how can we address that?”

Stop making crappy cars.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

Come on man…as I said above……

The Japanese “will not” buy foreign cars…..To repeat…My ex-wife was Japanese.
        She could trace her family history back 1500 years….”In Writing”….Man did I put a black mark on that one. So I understand their mindset.

They will not even buy Japanese cars made in America…….They will only eat rice made in Japan…..Have you ever drive in Japan?
        Like stated above…….the streets are small

South Korea is the same…..they will only buy cars made in South Korea

The deal will be mostly for energy, maybe beef, and building more Japanese factories in America to employ American workers

• Maquis says:

I’ve driven in both. Quite fun. Not as hazardous as Saudi Arabia or as aggression skill building as Sicily, but fun. My comment here was made considerably earlier than your comment following mine above. . .so your wisdom and experience weren’t being ignored. 😎

I mostly just love great quality cars and don’t see them made by putatively American companies. That makes me happy to poke them in the eye in hopes they will get their acts together someday someway. If I won’t touch one, it doesn’t surprise me that a Japanese wouldn’t.

8. paulmafinga says:

Praying for a prosperous and peaceful way forward for our Asian brothers and sisters, a path that will lead China and North Korea to constructive reform.

9. MightyMustardSeed says:

Treepers YOU are all splendid!

10. MightyMustardSeed says:

Treepers YOU are all splendid!

11. tonyE says:

Oddly, the “japanese” cars made in the US don’t sell very well in Japan either.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

If you buy a Japanese car, even in America….check out the side mirrors….

You can pull them in toward the car …pull them toward the rear or the car and they will stay there until you pull them back to their normal position.

Do you know why they are like that?

Original design for driving in Japan.
      The streets are so narrow, the side mirrors would always be ”broken off”…. So they designed them to “collapse” if they were pushed back by something in a narrow street…

They make some pretty good beer also…

12. SharonKinDC says:

I’d really like a formal deal announced on Monday, if only to rub the usual suspects noses in it as they whined that POTUS was taking a vanity trip. I despise these brain-dead, self-inflated buffoons. ‘Oh, fireworks,’ indeed.

13. Got243kids says:

If you put this all in the context of WWII, it’s just has too eat at China’s craw….

14. Peoria Jones says:

After tomorrow, I’ll have a few days off. I feel so fortunate to spend time with Treepers when big events are going down, and incredibly grateful to Sundance for providing us such exceptional coverage at all hours.

No matter what time it is in the US, SD will be bringing us the latest from Japan. Lucky!

• MelH says:

Sundance chooses WONDERFUL graphics and topics. I LOVE the photo of the two leaders on the golf course, LOVE knowing how happy the President is, playing golf!

15. William Schneider says:

I really love the idea of working with Japanese, South Koreans , Vietnamese , etc folks in place of communist China as major trade partners. It is a great trade off in my vision-and apparently in Trump’s view also. I love this wise eccentric old president Trump. May God keep him safe and at peace.

• Perot Conservative says:

Mega Dittos.

And manufacturing in the US / North America where it makes sense.

• Pyrthroes says:

We don’t consider DJT eccentric, meaning “off-centered”, just unusual in the sense that, first, he is a Warrior of Reality; and second, the battles he fights are real battles, which he plays on America’s behalf to win.

Come 2024, this will not be the PCBS wasteland it was under Gangrenous, and so easily could’ve been under the corrupt, incompetent, withal treacherous MzBill.

• jmgreenwell says:

Don’t forget India. That’s coming too!

16. Doppler says:

Sumo is a great cultural setting for diplomacy. Very different from WWF, but then, so are Shakespeare and Kabuki. But the essence is the same: one man throws the other to the ground. And the crowd goes wild! It’s all about winning.

Being included in the State celebration of coronation is also a cultural and personal bond.

At the highest and lowest levels, Trump is presidential. And he keeps winning, despite the pack of jackals yipping at his heels.

17. wolfrom1 says:

Macarthur taught the Japanese how to build cars and then Japan taught us.

• Dutchman says:

Demming taught the Japanese the importance of tight supply chains, cause U.S. automakers were too arrogant to listen, so he taught japanese, who then taught us.

Demming was as groundbreaking in manufacturing as Borlak was in agriculture, and DJT is in politics.
      “Just in time”, Lol

• wolfrom1 says:

Thanks

• President Trump is teaching America how to Win with the Art of the Deal, cause U.S. politicians were too arrogant to listen, so he taught his Administration, who then taught the world.

Reagan reminded America that we could be that “SHINING CITY on the Hill”.

Trump is transforming America into the “SHINING SUN that radiates opportunity and draws nation states into our orbit to seize it”.

18. sunnyflower5 says:

19. Petrel says:

Wolfrom1 — Yes, MacArthur established an industrial technology school in Tokyo, which produced photographic geniuses, music geniuses, automotive geniuses and so on. But, curiously, MacArthur is remembered in Japan most for his interest in farming.

Prior to WWII, Japan’s farmland was owned by a few hundred aristos. The general proposed to sell this farmland to impoverished families who rented their farms. It was a win-win. Overnight Japan acquired a huge constituency opposed to Marxism and devoted to producing food AND former land-poor aristos with piles of money to invest in precision manufacturing.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

This is absolutely correct. Today the richest and most respected people in Japan are farmers.

My ex-wife’s family are farmers and actually her Aunt and Uncle owned a huge farm in Southern California. Carlsbad just South of Camp Pendleton.

Anyone remember I-5 just South of Camp Pendleton all the beautiful flower fields and tomato fields? My ex-wife’s Aunt and Uncle owned all of that.
      NAFTA wiped them out of the farm business..

Anyway, her grandparents started as farmers, but then went into industry.
      Her Grandfather designed and built heavy steel for the construction of high rise buildings in Japan.

To the Japanese….MacAuther is a hero…He helped them write their Constitution.

Did you know that since WW II the Japanese have a Constitution?

Thank MacAuthor….
      No matter the MSM bull….The Japanese respect Americans….

I believed all the MSM until I lived there

It’s the Chinese who hate the Japanese…..WW II

• Might that Grandfather have been with NKK (former client)?

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

It was family owned, actually not very large….. private…not public.

That is another thing / idiosyncrasy regarding the Japanese. Once they find someone that does a good job for them…gains a good reputation….even if a small outlet…they will “Only” do business with them..

It is like…they have famous tea cup makers….or sword makers…..or even ramen makers…some work out of their own houses….but large corporations and massive amounts of people will only buy from them…

Japanese do not like items that are “Mass Producted”

Let me give you a final example:

My ex-wife…Japanese….would always wash our dishes by hand….when we bought our house…it had a dish washer already installed in it….

I said to her….”Now you can wash the dishes in the dish washer, save you work and time”
          She said…’No….I will continue to wash by hand”….I asked her why…She said;

Because my hands are “warmer”……Japanese

• TradeBait says:

Petrel and Gunny get it. The bridge of respect has already been built with Japan. This is the phase of building more trust. MacAuthor handled the reconstruct from government side as well as feeding the population through agriculture. Charles Deming handled the rebuild of their manufacturing/economic rebirth. When China gave into communism/Cabal after Japan was neutered in WW II, the rebuilding of their national priorities and spirit was well underway in Japan. If you can’t feed your population that cannot happen. So agriculture was key and revered today.

China has not forgotten what Japan did to them. Mortal enemies. Which is why Rocket Man sent his stupid missiles toward Japan. PDT has spoken about the China threat for decades. China is like all communist dominated nations – empty spirited while worshipping the false gods of materialism and power. Their demonic AI quest to control over a billion people with godless government crackdowns is beyond stupid They will crumble from within as Christianity grows underground and with PDT isolating them economically and militarily with two nations that inherently respect America – India and Japan. With the leadership in each solidly entrenched, bridges to trust are being built that prove mutually beneficial to all. It doesn’t hurt that Vietnam is unafraid to break from the Chinese model economically either. The surrounding economic and military strength of their neighbors will be the principal means to keep them in check.

• MelH says:

I remember those flower fields. Some are still there, right? The Japanese owned all the growing spaces around Salinas, too, and then they started selling to the tract builders. Ocean Spray took over most of the agriculture in the California Central Valley now and all the once-barren spaces along Hwy. 205 are flourishing with produce, as far as the eye can see.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

Since the farmers were going broke because of NAFTA, they still owned huge swath’s of land…
          They sold much of this to developers….they made quite a bit of money…being California and most of the property being Ocean View property….

But their first love was farming….sad…

• budklatsch says:

Odd Gunny, how a couple generations can change perceptions immensely. We saved the Chinese from the horrors of Japanese occupation. My father and 1000’s of others fought to the death to defeat the ‘Japs’ and save SE Asia. When i bought my first Japanese car (DATSUN) my Dad was very unhappy. Now the Japanese are our best friend and the Chinese our major enemy and enemy it is.

20. andyocoregon says:

I wonder if President Trump has watched the Sumo Wrestlers in Japan yet. I understand it will be the SuperBowl finale of that sport he attends. And I understand he will present the award to the winner in the ring.

21. Barry from Victoria says:

I drove a Dodge power wagon ambulance between Yokohama and Yokosuka for a while in ’63. That was fun driving down the left side of the road with a left hand drive vehicle when I didn’t really know how to drive a standard transmission. Is there still a navy base there? If so, I hope the president pays a visit.