Report: ICE Agents Given Access to Private License Plate Database….

The more important lead story of this article is buried within the outcome story of ICE agents using a private license plate database to capture illegal aliens. First the headline story:

WASHINGTON – Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has been using over the past year a vast license plate database to identify the location of vehicles associated with immigrants who do not have legal status, according to documents released Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

More than 9,000 ICE agents have been given access to the controversial database, which contains hundreds of millions of license plate scans from across the U.S., according to the documents obtained by the ACLU through a Freedom of Information Act request. ICE employees are able to use the database to obtain information on where individuals have been and when they were there, with data going back as far as five years.

“With access to this database, ICE can pinpoint the exact location of drivers going about their daily lives,” Matt Cagle, technology and civil liberties attorney with the ACLU, told The Hill. Cagle pointed out that ICE can use the database to identify detailed information on anyone — not just individuals wanted for deportation.

“ICE is not prohibited under this program from tracking the locations of citizens,” he said.

The agency did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Hill. (more)

If you continue reading the story you come across this:

[…] “Unrestricted law-enforcement access to massive private-sector databases housing location information on hundreds of millions of Americans is clearly an idea the Framers hadn’t considered,” Wyden said.

ICE entered into a contract with Thomson Reuters at the end of 2017 for access to the license-plate reader database, which is run by a company called Vigilant Solutions. The documents released by the ACLU reveal details about how the agency has used the database since entering into that contract. (cont.)

Keep in mind, what we are talking about here is a private sector tracking database; something that might trigger long-time CTH readers to remember from several years past (2013-2014).  As an outcropping of an unrelated story, we went deep, very deep, into the assembly of a nationwide private database as it was being constructed.

Use a private-sector database to track down people for missed property tax payments; or use the database to track lawful gun owners; or use the database to stop a traveler from entering an airport until they pay an unpaid parking fine, and hey, no biggie.   But start using that private database to arrest illegal aliens…. and Whoa, now the ACLU says we’ve got a problem.

Hey, at least now they are admitting the database exists.  Considering how strongly everyone denied it was being established six years ago, well, that’s progress I guess.

What we are talking about here are private companies, actually four specific companies, that invested multi-millions in creating a proprietary network that allowed them to build a database.  Later, once that database was established, they become federal contractors and/or sell access to that database to federal contractors.

To say I found myself on the wrong side of the people assembling the process, when I was warning about them, well, would be akin to saying the Miami Dade School Police were an amicable bunch of Ward Cleaver-type chaps during our 2013 MDPSD investigation.

They ain’t.  I digress…

Once they established the database the private companies then become federal contractors or sell access to the database to federal contractors.  Who runs airport security? Who runs the toll booths? Who runs just about every governmental process in the day life of civic engagement?  Yup – govt. contractors.

I wrote about this, and tried to warn about this, at the time (Patriots Day 2014):

As I have spent quite a bit of time researching this issue I’ve realized all of the data is essentially “vendor driven”. Meaning that 3rd parties are buying/selling (contracting) information about YOU to/from the government as a service for revenue enhancement.

The APLR system is essentially a tool in this type of service.

Let’s say you are behind on a civil fee, or local tax, or maybe you just have outstanding parking tickets……. – the 3rd party (contracts with the govt) to harvest the information, then they mine government data bases and compile a hub of information.

The vendor then becomes the extension of government collection.

You come walking out of the grocery store and find your car has a “wheel boot” which disables your ability to drive. Under the wiper is a ticket with the number to call to have the boot removed – when you call the number you find out that you must first pay “the fee or municipal tax you are in default” to get the boot removed.

The data base is proprietary to the vendor. The government entity just allows the vendor to mine their existing data network to create a hub of centralized connected data about you. The vendor gets a fee and/or percentage of payment recovery.

Where is it going …. ? Everywhere.

You go to check in at an airport (now considered a federal building) and find out your travel is suspended until you pay the municipal parking ticket from 2 years ago in Chicago that you totally forgot about (you live in Dallas).

However, the clerk smiles and says “you can pay for it right here if you like, just give me your credit card and we can take care of it for you”….

The private business (airline collector) gets a cut of the collection fee.

All of this is from private-public business partnerships – constructed as a business model – from 3rd party vendors who purchase access to data and legally act as an authorized party/agent on behalf of the government. (link)

When we originally said this is a dangerous slippery slope, the ACLU, civil rights groups and *most* conservative groups said not to worry because this isn’t government collecting data; these are only private companies.  Blah, blah, blah, wash-rinse-repeat. No, honestly, the level of anger at exposing the system (as it was being built) was off-the-charts.

Well, five years later this process is now being used to capture illegal aliens.  NOW, the ACLU and others have suddenly found themselves taking issue with it.

PS. Did you know that anytime you write the words “Patriots” and “Day”  together in a sentence, you enter the NSA PRISM priority system for auto-review.

Patriots Day !!

This entry was posted in 1st Amendment, 4th Amendment, 6th Amendment, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Deep State, Illegal Aliens, Legislation, MDTA / MCAC (Maryland), media bias, Predictions, Spying, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

193 Responses to Report: ICE Agents Given Access to Private License Plate Database….

1. We are on the #Democrats List…. #PATRIOTS DAY!

2. jeans2nd says:

There were a very few of us warning about things like this when MySpace, Fakebook, and Twitter came out. We were ridiculed, laughed at, called conspiracy theorists, tin-foil-hat wearers, wanna-be psychologists (while possessing a degree and a half in Psychology)…

We knew this is where it all would lead. No one listened. And here were are, once again. It has been going on 15+ years, and all to no avail, although some do believe us now.
    Too late.
    After a while, one tires of the effort.

Every day is PATRIOTS DAY. Happy PATRIOTS DAY.
    p.s. what do they do when the phone and the license plate location are never in the same place at the same time? lolol it is fun to leave the phone in the kitchen drawer, always…

3. Imagine, My surprise, I have My phone *Out and about*, NOT CALLING nor doing anything,, I talk to My FIL about renting a place..
    Lo & behold, I start getting ADS on my computer, “places to rent”..
    Or just talking about My DOG, I start getting ads for Vets & Dog food..
    besides my phone, I’ve covered up “microphones & Video” on my devices..
    We are “tracked” everywhere 100% of the time..
    I leave My phone at home..
    Even though I know My car tracks me..

I wish I still had my lil 1990 240Z car,, I could, escape..

4. gerkmonster says:

If only they cared so much about bogus FISA warrants

• BigMamaTEA says:

gerkmonster….as long as we keep pushing…..they WILL care whether they want to or NOT. I’ve been doing this since before the teaparty started in 2009! I KNOW what can be done……

They only thing they fear……..more than anything….is the PEOPLE BEING AWAKE AND GIVING THEM THE WHAT FOR!!! You don’t even have to get ugly with them, just keep consistently voicing your opinion to them. I use lots of humor. Send them funny cartoons and snark….still get the real point across…..WE ARE WATCHING THEM, and THEY work for us.

5. JonMaxwell says:

I am sorry, but I am just shaking my head, you have been in a database since the day you where issued a social security card, then when you got your driver’s license, then as a man when you turned 18 and signed up for selective service, then when you registered to vote, on and on infinitum, did you sign up for this WordPress website, database, who owns the Url to this website? database, do you have a passport? ID card etc etc all databases this is absolutely nothing new, do you drive a car? Pass by a traffic camera? Drive in an hover lane? Ding ding guess who just had 1 Thierry photo taken and a picture of their licence plate why you, don’t want any of this, then I suggest you drop off the grid, the only electronics I suggest you are tube based, if anyone is interested in have a tube based am radio I will sell to you.

• nimrodman says:

I have tube guitar amplifiers
      But I can only broadcast, not receive …

• John Bosley says:

Do what Gene Hackman did in ” Enemy of The State “.
      Just don’t be on the receiving end like Will Smith, lol.

• Amy2 says:

I hear ya Jon! This article didn’t even bother me. Heck, when you already have contractors tapping in the president, who cares about little ole’ me? I have friends who say they don’t want to access their bank accounts on line. I say, the information is already out there, your accessing it won’t change a thing! My thought is always, they (whoever “they” is) will and can get whatever info on me they want. They can even take a picture of me in my backyard by satellite. BUT, they can’t have my thoughts!!

• Jerry Cross says:

Seven years ago I decided to retire at 62. I applied for my retirement check online. During the online process I was asked the year and day I was married. I missed the day by 1 day and it caught it, I couldn’t do anything else until I corrected it. That amazed the heck out of me. I knew then we were all screwed.

• gildie says:

Info like driver’s licenses, SS#s, sure. But every text, phone-call & content, photo snapped.
      I’m sick of it. We can fight back. Try anyway.
      I can’t code, but there HAS to be an enterprising young hacker out there that can write a prog that stops your phone, car, doorbell, whatever, from sending your info out to unwanted parties. There just HAS to be.
      Come on hackers! Time to step up. Your country is calling!

• Francine wendelboe says:

I would love an invention that would allow you to lock the phone of a telemarketer that calls you so they can not make another call for an hour or so.

• BigMamaTEA says:

I have a little devise called CPR CallBlocker. It’s a wonderful little thing, size of a small calculator. that has a giant red button on it. If you don’t recognize the number, telemarketers and the politicians robocalling, whatever, If you can slap that red button on the first ring, it forever more blocks that number. You can also access a list of those blocked numbers and either release them from the block list (handy when daughter gets new phone number and forgets to tell mom) Now this is for a landline.

Now, I’ve had the basic one since when it first came out…for like 10 years-ish…there are probably different brands now, and probably 10 up-versions for the original one.

I also chose to have an old-school flip PHONE only…and not too long ago, I saw one, that had a call block button on it for the cell phone. I have computer stuff at home. But I still just want a phone in my purse….in case I want to call someone.

Btw, you use twatter, and all those social media sites on your pc at home, or laptops, or shoot, I think even tablets, and those reader-things. Your safest computer access is a wired in, pc/laptop on a hard line. Not all this wireless stuff. I have that too….but chose not to use it.

6. BSR says:

Excellent article is an understatement. Thanks for sharing!

7. mr. deacon says:

So you’re sitting next to a tobacco chewing Okie in a snowstorm at a bus stop in Rock Springs, Wyoming when his phone rings. He answers it, looks at you, hands you his phone, and says; “It’s for you.” You are somewhat confused because you don’t know this guy, you left your phone in your suitcase, and nobody knows you are there. After acknowledging who you are you hear a condescending constipated sounding male voice say; “Um, yes, this is Sallie Mae and we just want to remind you that you have a student loan payment due in three days. You can pay it online at …….”.

8. Luke of the D says:

Happy Patriots Day to all! God bless the spies – may the tools they designed be used to destroy them! But if the privacy-destroyers want to use our personal data to catch illegal aliens, well, I certainly have no problem with that! DEPORT THEM ALL!

9. NJF says:

Happy patriots day.

10. andy says:

i know a guy with mega web traffic that prints random words that trigger prism with every page load. the idea is too much data becomes garbage.

11. Janeka says:

Linking is the worst of the group when it comes to personal data storage.. why anyone would go for that one is beyond my ability to comprehend.. So what’s the ACLU’s problem, they didn’t get in on the financial earnings at the start.? Or are they really concerned about the rights of non citizens..?

12. California Joe says:

If this type of technology is necessary to apprehend and deport illegal immigrants it’s fine with me when you consider how many cities and counties are sanctuary jurisdictions which refuse to cooperate with ICE and how federal judges obstruct ICE. It’s the price we have to pay to get our country back.

• John Bosley says:

Ah but remember the slippery slope.
      When THEY are done with the Illegals , they will come for us next.
      Gotta put that technology to use, no sense in letting it go to waste, right ?

• BigMamaTEA says:

Not necessarily……I’ve been hearing rumors that since sometime last summer, one of the NSA programs has not been collecting some data, that it used to……So maybe we’ll eventually get rid of that monster data base collector/storage thing that Crypt-Keeper Hairy Reid made sure to get built in Nevada years ago.

And Nunes, and a couple others are already talking about obviously needing to do a thorough re-assessment of the FISA crap, who do we thank for that, was that Poppie Bush? and then Slick Willie and his Fusion Centers, and who can forget Shrub and his Patriot Act crap.

• oldumb says:

Giving up your liberty for security….

13. GB Bari says:

I guess I am somewhat fatalistic about this.
    I am going to live until I die and since I haven’t been knowingly harassed so far by the Supreme Database Masters I’m going to anticipate little or none of that in the future. I’m no threat to their empires.

Yes I get plenty of spam but it’s 95% political donation requests and that’s likely because I donated to a few good campaigns over the past two years. Today I received 25 political emails (a heavy day) but most went into the Spam bucket thanks to my patient editing of the email app handling rules and adding new sources of spam as they occur.

I get at least a dozen snail mail donation requests each week from legitimate charities to whom I have donated in the past. Requests to remove me from theor lists either takes two to three months or never. That’s alright – I can keep throwing their packs of return address stickers and other “free gifts” away after shredding them. The USPS makes the overwhelming bulk of its money by handling 3rd Class mail.

I recall at least 20 years ago Maryland outlawed the use of tinted or even clear license plate protector covers over the vehicle tags. It was fairly commonly known that was because the IR speed cameras couldn’t ‘”see” the tag numbers through the covers – the covers reflected the IR light and in the resulting B&W photo the tag was only a bright white rectangle.

14. Jesse says:

I’m confused how a LPR knows who’s driving the car.

15. CNY3 says:

Let’s seeeee…It’s ok to complain if it’s protecting illegals from prison and deportation, but the 2nd Amemdment to the Constitution should be abolished, denying the rights and protection of legal American citizens to bear arms against a tyrannical government??????

• The Devilbat says:

Don’t forget that it’s also just fine to kill newborn babies!!!

• BigMamaTEA says:

That’s a not only NO, but a HELLZ NO! !!!

Heard about the latest getting ready to put out by several whackado congress criminals? Background check for AMMO! HA! (Just one of several new bad ideas that the demonrats think they’re going to get away with. SMH!)

THAT will NEVER happen. Not in my lifetime anyway. Them’s fightin’ words…..

16. I must confess when I signed up on the liberal database site (FB) I broke the “rules” and did NOT use my real name….. I sort of knew what they were up to and I am glad. Same scenario with the other “modern” social sites…. F ’em.

17. jus wundrin says:

Border Patrol union says that things on the border are bad, REAL bad

?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1105486735788642305&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.conservativereview.com%2Fnews%2Fice-union-officers-trump-catch-release-not-just-happening-overdrive%2F

Congressional Rs and Ds own this.

18. allhail2 says:

Hey, guess what,
    HAPPY PATRIOTS DAY!!!!!!!!!!
    I’m right the f*** here you bunch of s***tard globalist pos’s. No need to track me or monitor me. If you want to know what I think, have the balls to man up and ask me face to face . I’d be happy to tell you. Otherwise, F***off.

Secondly, it sure would be nice if their license plate game would have caught up earlier with the f’ing pos drunk illegal Mexican that hit us at 40 mph, no brakes, and destroyed my wife’s shoulder. Third time caught driving w/o license, only got 15 days. F*** him, F*** his fake ass ghetto welfare wife, who showed up at the scene with two of their “boys” before the cops arrived. Both my son and I are over 6’3 and 200lbs. We got ready to fight real fast. They backed down, wisely. I was also chambered and “hands on” ready. So there’s that. PD did their job, beautifully. The courts suck. Next time, screw 911, I’ll handle it…my report, and only my report. TRUTH: Dead men tell no tales.

19. ZurichMike says:

Did anyone see the Tom Cruise filme “Minority Report”? An odd futuristic sci-fi thriller, but if you recall from the movie, future society had scanners EVERYWHERE. If you walked into a department store, all of a sudden holographic advertisements tailored to your previous purchases showed up. Of course, they also kept track of all the bad things you did (or were about to do) as well, and even was used to take down people who didn’t fit in — this was the premise of the movie.

Hollywood “art” imitates life.

20. mashall says:

This is where the Surveillance Cannot Protect, It may help catch the criminals but only after the victim is tagged and bagged.

“USC has built a safety net of security cameras, license plates readers on poles and even mobile sentry posts that extend into the neighborhoods beyond the campus. It was a license plate reader on a pole that allowed LAPD homicide detectives to identify the killers of two students a few years ago.”
    Different Source, I didn’t save it.

He was an advocate for gun control. Unfortunately, only his killer had one.

We have thousands of years of history teaching us that arms for personal protection save lives.
    They ignore the History.

21. Sentient says:

I’m still not paying the parking ticket I got on a rental car during a visit to D.C. a few years ago. Those people can F*** the F*** off. Most overrated city I’ve ever been to.

22. mashall says:

What hasn’t DHS Director and The Chief Executive thrown out the “Sensitive Location Enforcement” Policy? They are not faithfully Enforcing Immigration Law. This should enrage millions of US Citizens.

Are sensitive location policies still in effect?

“Yes. ICE has previously issued and implemented a policy concerning enforcement actions at sensitive locations. These FAQs are intended to clarify what types of locations are covered by those policies.”

23. keeler says:

People are rightly concerned about cameras watching our every move, but greater attention needs to be focused on DNA database building.

The same processes outlined above are rapidly developing a DNA database and very people seem to be aware of what is occurring.

Look up GEDMatch. It is the Facebook of DNA profiling, and that statement should concern everyone.

• maggiemoowho says:

People are dumb, they fall for all this DNA crap on tv and do it. It’s going to turn around and bite them in the azz. I figure it’s mainly lefty nuts who do this DNA crap.

• keeler says:

Who is submitting DNA is quickly becoming irrelevant.

People with access to a DNA database (GEDMatch is available to the public, so that means anyone) can crossreference DNA profiles with genealogical records to identify a cluster of individuals, even those who have never submitted DNA samples. This is how law enforcement finally identified the Golden State Killer. Authorities legally obtained and matched his DNA once they determined he was a potential suspect, but they determined he was a suspect by cross referencing a distant relative’s commercial DNA test with genealogical data.

The process in that particular case does not itself bother me. However, the likely progression and development of such tools does, and will, raise serious questions down the road.

Your lefty nut of an aunt, uncle, or cousin may be the one submitting the DNA sample, but that is already enough for you, at least enough of you to identify you, to appear in such data bases as well.

24. BitterC says:

If only we could get the word out to illegals crossing our border that once they get across if they text PATRIOT DAY someone will pick them up and take them to the city of their choice

25. maggiemoowho says:

And now these databases have all your health records. This is why Obama made every medical office and hospital switch to electronic records. If i’m not mistaken, most electronic medical record companies are owned by Equifax or other credit companies, the same people who give your credit scores. Never tell your doctor that you own a gun, if he/she asks, tell them its none of their damn business.

26. Gary Lacey says:

I love it, ICE using the tools at their disposal. Of course the implications are far more dire, of concern, are the rights of law abiding citizens. Especially in light of states confiscating firearms in a direct contradiction of Federal law.

27. Jeanne T. says:

Patriots Day, Patriots Day, Patriots Day

There, I wrote it. Now, do I get an honorary place in the NSA PRISM priority system for auto-review?

28. TreeClimber says:

Pardon my ignorance, what is PRISM? Obviously a priority review but what is it specifically?

29. Kerry Eubanks says:

My first ever comment in 2 years reading The Conservative Treehouse: Happy PATRIOTS DAY everybody!

30. Bendix says:

I used to complain about those credit reports and your credit score.
    That’s a private company. EVERYBODY disagreed with me.
    BTW, I believe Andrew Cuomo only just now made it illegal to run a credit report as a condition of employment.

When you travel in Florida, you cannot avoid having your plate photographed when you cross a toll bridge, there is no cash lane.
    Aside from the privacy concerns, the potential for overcharging is also something to be considered.
    How on earth would you dispute your bill after the fact?

Think about how Eliot Spitzer was brought down for patronizing prostitutes.

All the people who go along with all the surveillance for “safety” and to prevent crime, we have more financial crime today, not less.
    You used to be able to open a bank account without a Social Security number.
    Now we all just accept that your bank account is the government’s business.

The only chance we had to rectify this was when Ron Paul was running for president.