Several communities and towns within North Carolina have been completely cut-off by rising flood waters as a result of Hurricane Florence and the unprecedented amount of rain.  The cities of Wilmington and Jacksonville, NC, are surrounded by flooding.

Pay attention to all local officials, and heed all notices to evacuate based on the advice from local and state officials.  The threat is increasing in multiple regions throughout the state of North Carolina.  Evacuations are ongoing with all resources deployed to assist stranded residents.  FEMA, the national guard, the coast guard, and all state and federal resources are currently deployed for ongoing rescue efforts.

Florence has weakened to a tropical depression but forecasters warn the next few days could bring the most destructive round of flooding in North Carolina history. The National Hurricane Center says the effect is expected to be “catastrophic.”

NORTH CAROLINA – The city of Wilmington, North Carolina, has been completely cut off by floodwaters, and officials are asking for additional help from state law enforcement and the National Guard.

Woody White, chairman of the board of commissioners of New Hanover County, said Sunday that additional rainfall Saturday night made roads into the city impassable.

White said officials are planning for food and water to be flown to the county, although new distribution centers will have to be found because of all the rain in the northern part of the county.

Earlier Sunday, officials from the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority had said they were almost out of fuel for the water plant and might have to shut down. The utility later issued a release saying it had found additional fuel. (LINK)

This entry was posted in Hurricance Florence, Military, Uncategorized, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

130 Responses to Severe Flood Warnings For North Carolina – Several Towns Completely Cut-off, Wilmington and Jacksonville Surrounded by Floodwater….

1. Minnie says:

Prayers continue 🙏🏼

Father, all the elements of nature obey Your command.

Calm the storms and hurricanes that threaten us and turn our fear of Your power into praise of Your goodness.

Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.

• Plain Jane says:

Amen.

• GrandpaM says:

Amen!

• sedge2z says:

Special Alert issued Sunday afternoon

TRAVEL NOT ADVISED IN OR THROUGH NORTH CAROLINA

Due to flooding in southern and eastern NC and potential landslides in the west, NCDOT advises that motorists not travel through NC. Several sections of I-95 and I-40 are flooded.

Travel should be completely avoided in areas south of US 64 and east of I-73/I-74. As the situation is rapidly changing NCDOT is doing our best to report these closures but recognizes that we are not yet aware of all closures, therefore we advise not to travel in these areas.

Flooding is beginning to affect travel in central North Carolina.

GPS systems are routing users into areas NCDOT is not recommending for travel.

NC roads affected by the storm: List of Affected Roads / For areas without specific location details there is general information about roadway conditions: Road Conditions by County

For weather updates visit the National Weather Service / For the latest on hurricane readiness and response visit ReadyNC.org

For other storm related travel info visit https://www.ncdot.gov/travel-maps/traffic-travel/severe-weather/Pages/summer.aspx.
      NCDOT’s latest press release

Note: On the map below, if there are no bright colored red/orange/yellow/green lines on the map there is not enough data to provide speed information on that segment of road.
      Red and white striped lines mean that the road is closed.

Get real time information on events that cause severe and unusual congestion on NCDOT maintained roadways in North Carolina by choosing a region, route, county, or project from the drop down lists below.

• Peg_C the Deplorable says:

AMEN.

2. Fish and hunt says:

NE and North central SC also hit by devastating, record flooding. Roads out everywhere

3. free73735 says:

Know someone in Wilmington. They were asking for prayer yesterday and said the actual flooding would be worse than the initial storm.

4. So scary! Stay safe everyone!

5. treehouseron says:

We’re in Charlotte and family is south of Charlotte 30 miles or so in two seperate places… basically there is severe flooding anywhere there’s low areas. Where we’re at we’re way above the water line but our neighbors house two doors down (it’s actually vacant, he sold it 6 months ago) is just on the verge of being flooded by a really minor stream, the major waterways are all so full the minor streams are backing up.

Anywhere there’s a parking lot with low spots, any cars parked in them are now about a foot under water (up to about the floorboards). Getting pictures from people in Monroe of cars half underwater in certain parking lots.

The rain is still coming down but it’s just normal volume rain, all the rain draining out of everywhere though is flooding everything.

And we’re 200 miles inland!

• lisabrqwc says:

Glad you’re staying high and dry, ron. Are you familiar with the areas of Cornelius and/or Cary? Long story, but I have 2 estranged brothers who both live in NC. I’m in FL and totally unfamiliar with either area. I tried to look on a map, and it looks like Cornelius might be experiencing more flooding than Cary in Chatham County. I think I’ll try to check out each of their local newspapers or TV stations but thought I’d ask.

• treehouseron says:

I know where Cornelius is but don’t know much about it, not sure about Cary unfortunately. I think the story is pretty similar all over, if you have high spots you’re fine if you’re in a low spot you’re flooded.

• Tom says:

Cary adjoins Raleigh in Wake County. Raleigh’s the state capital and Carys the highest income zip code. There’ll be plenty of help available. Blessings, tom

• Redhotrugmama says:

Hi I used to live in Cornelius and I spoke to my friend that owns property there. She stated that as of 8 pm Pacific time her place was fine. Just very saturated grounds and still raining.

• G. Combs says:

I live within 30 minutes of Cary.
        A friend in Chatham county had the fire dept knock on her door and tell her to evacuate. She has no transpo so I drove over and got her.

We ran into a guy headed to New Bern whose company is involved in water. He said part of the problem is Raleigh has been opening the Jordan lake reservoir dams for the last week to lower the level. This has added to the volume of river water trying to reach the Atlantic at New Bern and Wilmington.

We crossed the Cape Fear on Saterday (new bridge) and it was much higher than the norm. Local streams feeding into the Cape Fear were close to flooding.

The good news is we headed down towards Fayetteville yesterday and the local stream that often floods my road was still below it’s banks. The roads we traveled were open without much debris so far.

• Gil says:

Stay dry!!!! Stay safe too!

• New Nonna to Be, Again!!! 🤗 says:

Lots of prayers for everyone there, treehouseron.

God please, please show Your Might to all affected by these waters. As Jesus commanded waves to cease, please command these waters to subside.

I ask this through Your Son, Jesus Christ. 🙏🏼

6. sundance says:

7. Gil says:

It kills me that they dont listen and go, or if they do they leave their animals. Just watched a dog rescue at BB where 6 fox hounds (i think) were just left in a kennel. They were howling to be let out.
    No excuse just take your pets and get everyone to safety.

8. Mari the Deploeanle says:

My daughter and her boyfriend left this morning from Baltimore to go to South Carolina. They wanted to get to the Conway / Myrtle Beach area before the rivers crest and it’s cut off from the other parts of South Carolina. They went nearly 90 minutes west to Hagerstown so they could take I-8 then hit 77, and eventually threw a couple other roads hit 378 to get into Conway. They still have about 2 hours to go but so far, so good, on their journey. It is obviously taking more time than they would like since they had to do the roundabout detour of I-95 in North Carolina. She did comment that despite the rain that they drove through they both thought the mountains in Virginia and North Carolina were really beautiful. I sent them back with a lot of food because I am actually moving to South Carolina in a few weeks and there’s no sense in me moving the food. An article on a Myrtle Beach news site said some of the stores are running out of food so what they took will help them avoid those shortages and also help out there young adult budgets.

It was kind of cool that they were willing to ask and listen to my advice on what route they should take, by the way! They are also making good use of the South Carolina DOT website to see which roads are closed and avoid using those.

• Mari the Deploeanle says:

Sorry, should be I-81, not I-8.

• prenanny says:

Driving through Virginia on 81 seems like it takes forever, but after that other States go fast.
      Are they going down to assist with cleanup?
      Am VERY happy for you to be free of Maryland and are moving back to The United States
      of America.
      First day there ( okay first morning there ) register to VOTE, check their website for what forms of proof of residency you will need.

• Mari the Deploeanle says:

Yes, voting in SC is the plan. Conservative votes are wasted in MD. Elijah Cummings will no longer allegedly represent me in Congress!!!
        They actually live there and just arrived, 11 hours and 45 minutes after they started. It would normally take 9 hours going down I95. Oh well…. She is a graduate of Coastal Carolina and he is in his last semester. She is scheduled to work Tuesday. Coastal is one school that was smart enough to reschedule the football game that was supposed to take place in Conway yesterday to take place at the other team’s venue last Wednesday. The entire team, coaches, staff, some family members and 15 dogs boarded five buses and headed down to Florida after the game. The players insisted they could not leave their dogs and Coach Moglia insisted they ride in a separate bus because he’s highly allergic, but he still let them bring them. Apparently, those players have more feelings than the owner of those dogs that were rescued and discussed in earlier comments.

9. Gil says:

Yep. She has to testify if she wants it to be out in the open. I would think her metoo# feminist lawyer would tell her to go for it. Its a borking/ thomas lynching/terminal tds rolled into one.

10. JAS says:

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

• JAS says:

Graciously hear us, O Lord, when we call upon You,
      and grant unto our supplications a calm atmosphere,
      that we, who are justly afflicted for our sins,
      may, by Your protecting mercy, experience pardon.
      Through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

11. treehouseron says:

Not sure if this picture will post, this is my neighbor’s back yard! This is all from a little tiny stream that drains back between the houses. The last time I saw it do this was 1994.

12. sundance says:

Waffle House CEO is a First Responder !!

• treehouseron says:

Way back in the day, I used to operate Jukeboxes in Waffle Houses…. they had a bunch of Waffle House themed songs they made records for, and had in the boxes, that the Owner’s or founder’s wife had sung, pretty funny stuff.

I’d imagine most of the Waffle Houses are probably up and running again….

• prenanny says:

What a man, good on ya!

• Liberty Forge says:

I did not know this aspect of the Waffle House before.

THIS is amazing! Really, who knew?

Apparently this is part of “their mission”. Listen closely.

Wahoo — they need our support!

Here, in a populated area — the capital city of a state — we have only one Waffle House that I am aware of on the West Shore (those from this area will know what I mean by “West Shore”.)

So! — the Waffle House now joins the legion of restaurants who are “doing the right thing”, along side of Chick-fil-a.

We really need more restaurants which do not bend to political correctness. Only two (2) so far in this category? Really? Only now Waffle House & Chick-fil-a?

Come on. Get on board restaurants! Your business will BOOM!

• treehouseron says:

I’m going to guess that Zaxbys is on the list too. The service is so good, the people are so friendly there must be a Christian message behind it.

Also in California In & Out burger got in trouble because they donated to both parties. So they’re at least fair about it.

Also as far as just general companies, of course Hobby Lobby is very Christian and supports conservative causes.

• Minnie says:

Hobby Lobby opened a beautiful new store in Masspequa (Nassau County, NY.

Also, Chick-fil-A is working on opening a 4th location (Nassau/Suffolk)

As wonderful as that news is, I’m outta here once I retire.

13. stephen parrish says:

Love me some Waffle House. In Charlotte, and largely spared the storm at my location– though I’ve heard a lot of chainsaws running.

14. fleporeblog says:

Prayers to everyone effected by Hurricane Florence! The rain has been devastating. People’s lives have been turned upside down. Cleanup and recovery will take some time. I am so thankful that everyone is doing their part to save lives. According to the Governor, already 950+ people have been saved.

15. sundance says:

• Katherine McCoun says:

This is just so pathetic. Why? Just what is wrong with people to leave their pets?

• 7delta says:

There’s an old saying about movies. You know who the villain is, because anybody that harms a dog or a child is done for before the end.

I love cats, but the dogs… There’s an innocence that reminds me of child. The hunting dogs and the two pups left on the porch just tear me up. Just lost my elderly pit back in April. He was the sweetest, gentlest dog I’ve ever had and beagles, good Lord, I love beagles. Had them too. Such happy dufus dogs. I have pictures of my youngest son, around 2 or so, and our beagle watching cartoons, with the beagle acting as pillow and BFF.

I want to give these pets’ people the benefit of the doubt, but I’m having trouble figuring out how or why they left these guys to weather a hurricane alone. If I could, I’d take all of these poor furries home with me. I have no patience with anybody that would harm or neglect a child or an innocent pet.

• I do not understand this way of thinking… these helpless babies are part of the family. Did these people leave their children behind? …their grandchildren?

16. rustybritches says:

I don’t understand I have three dogs and I would not leave if I had to leave them behind Which I wouldnt do anyway, They are not able to fend for themselves and when people leave them locked up its too easy for them to die of heat thrust and hunger shame on any one who would just go off and leave them, The Patrol boats and FEMA have been saying for days if you have animals make sure you take them with you. some shelters are saying they wont take animals but this is a time when they need to take them anyway.. Wish I lived closer I would go get some of the strays and bring them home with me I have lots of room

• treehouseron says:

The bad ones to see are the pit bulls… I know for a fact the local shelter doesn’t adopt out Pit Bulls. If their owners don’t claim them (and apparently they don’t care to) these animals are likely to be put down.

The Pit bull problem in the US is a big deal, people in general are fearful of the dogs because they’re so powerful, but the vast majority of them are well mannered… if the shelters don’t adopt them out the only other option is for local organizations to give them a permanent home and I’m not aware of any in the area.

Maybe their policy has changed, but I went to the shelter about 10 years ago, and half the dogs there were Pit Bulls and they specifically told me that they don’t adopt them and if the owners don’t show up they’re put to sleep.

• Gil says:

On the west coast we have overload of pits and chihuahuas or chi mixes. Homeowner’s insurances refuse to give a policy if you have any variety of a pit, akita, chow, etc just because too many bad owners and bad breeding. Had a renter across the street let their pits run loose, which came to my gate that I almost opened. I couldnt see what was on the other side. I stoid on a short wall, looked over, and the 2 dogs tried to jump up and attack me. Police came and got the dogs and the owners knew they had become vicious but didnt care.
        They moved out soon after. I probably would be dead if I had opened the gate.

• davidb says:

the shelters up here take Pits, but they are gone within a couple days as they are high in demand and are popular. I have 2 myself….both shelter puppies, and only cost 50$ each for shots and neutering.

• Maybe they can be placed with a rescue organization where they can be fostered until they are adopted?

17. billrla says:

Where are the Marine AAVs?

18. Concerned Virginian says:

Durham County, NC:
    Heavy rain now and expected to continue through Tuesday AM. Flash flood warnings all over the place. The wind has pretty much calmed down and Florence is a Tropical Depression since she turned upward toward the NC/SC/VA mountains but is bringing so much heavy rain and thunderstorms.

• PatriotKate says:

Greensboro, NC here. Heavy rain right now and expecting another 3-5″ through tomorrow they believe. Water pooling in the yard right now and hoping it holds out and doesn’t flood. Down a hill at the end of a street, which is somewhat concerning. We’d already had a lot of rain this summer.

We’re fortunate and I’m grateful and praying for all those at the coast. I fear for the devastation on the coast.

Thanks to everyone here for the thoughts and prayers.

19. Texian says:

If the flooding gets so bad that even the National Guard needs to be rescued they know they can always call some Texans..

• fuzzi says:

I think we have a few “good ol’ boys” here in NC who would be as capable and willing as Texans, no offense intended. See the pet rescue videos posted here. 🙂

20. tav says:

The water may be deep, but it is still nowhere as deep as the corruption in the FBI and DOJ. It’s still absolutely no contest.

21. wheatietoo says:

Folks helping folks.

• Your Tour Guide says:

That’s a serious john boat the rescuers are in. Never seen a 80 hp tiller
      outboard. The air boats are way cool. Anybody else remember the old TV
      show “The Everglades?”.

On another level: there’s nothing that isn’t flooded in that whole town.
      Hope and pray everyone got out allright.

• wheatietoo says:

Some towns have been cut off from the world, since roads going in are all flooded.

Rivers are still cresting.
        Flooding may not start going down for days…there’s nowhere for all that water to go.

Hopefully, if their supplies start running out, they will get some necessities flown in by helicopters.
        I think all they’ve got to do is ‘ask’…the Emergency Services seem to be doing a good job so far, if they are notified.

In the meantime, volunteers are doing a great job of rescuing people and animals.

22. wheatietoo says:

Town of Beulaville looks to be cut off by the flooding.

Drone views…long lines at local gas station.

• prenanny says:

Hiya Wheats what is the background on the LSM vids that they say not for broadcast, is that so the fakemedia can’t steal them?
      I like that concept if so.

• wheatietoo says:

Yeah, I’m guessing that they’ve had a problem with their original footage getting used without their permission.

It is hard to go after networks, after it’s already been done.
        So putting a watermark in the vids like that, prevents it from happening.

23. amwick says:

I will be going home to Myrtle Beach by way of Charleston then up 17. Roads inside the state may have issues, esp 501. Bridge at Galivants Ferry may go under.

Please check roads before making plans, even in SC.

My neighbor got back today and said things look fine, water on the porch which was expected. We dodged a bullet.

I hope we hear soon from other tree peeps.

24. Red says:

I really expected the flooding, but I am absolutely outraged that anyone who owned a dog or dogs would be so freaking cruel as to leave their dogs to drown. I feel bad when I leave my crazy Weimaraners in their crates to go to town. I freak out if they are in their crate for 4 hours inside the house! These people should be charged with animal abuse! They should have at the very least given the dogs a chance fend for themselves. They knew it was going to flood!

25. G. Combs says:

On the dog issue. It maybe the owners planned a second trip and were not allowed to return to their homes to get them. No info just a thought. Well trained hunting dogs or pups from a top line are worth a lot of money so abandonning them doesnt make much sense.

My mechanic breeds and hunts top line bird dogs. (He is hired by the wealthy) He has a large trailer and a dually for transport and even with that could not move ALL his dogs at once.
    ….

So far we have lost power twice. Once last night and once this morning. Equines and cats and sheep are fine. The goats however are VERY unhappy about having to graze in the rain. They are as bad as cats when it comes to water. (They have an open shelter – Carolina Metal Structures – that has a rep for withstanding hurricanes.)

26. Concerned Virginian says:

Durham County, NC, Monday AM: Extremely heavy rain with thunderstorms since about 3AM. Several tornados in Durham County, Alamance County, Wake County, Oxford NC, Butner NC areas. Localized flooding all over the place, literally different street by street. Trees falling due to either wind or tree roots loosening their hold in the super-saturated ground. The golf course that backs up to a friend’s property has a tiny stream running through it that TODAY is now a raging torrent that is coming up to their property—they’re considering self-evacuating.
    This weather is expected to continue all of Monday and into Tuesday afternoon.

27. smiley says:

good news…the SUN was seen in Raleigh this am…

😀

28. Pam says:

Ok folks. Doing fine except for the fact that the majority of Wilmington/New Hanover county is still without power (slightly over 81.5k, county population is just over 127.4k).
    Of course the biggest issue naturally is flooding. The Cape Fear River was originally thought to be cresting tomorrow but now they are saying it could be Thursday.

We thought we were hours away from losing water but a shipment of fuel was airlifted in and it is now expected there will be enough of the water supply to get us through the duration of this nightmarish event. I am on county water and sewer.

Through some good helpful folks yesterday, we found a place to get fuel and so we had to go to the Scotchman just off of highway 421 just after you exit the Isabella Holmes Bridge. The lines were wrapped around the station and spilled out onto the highway. They tried their best at the station to have organized lines depending on what side your gas tank is on. Things got testy at times but thankfully, they had plenty of fuel. This morning, they were saying that this very same station does not have any power going to their pumps now. They were probably running on generators like most people.

The radio has been an excellent source of info to find out what is and isn’t open. Plus, we are getting great updates and info from our state senator. Please continue to keep Wilmington and other areas inland in your prayers.

• fuzzi says:

Good to see you, Pam!

We did okay here; I’m close to Greenville. The Tar River is supposed to crest later this week, so we’re keeping an eye on it. The local airport closed on Wednesday and is not expected to open until the 24th. It’s located close to the Tar River and had flooding issues on the runways with Hurricane Matthew a couple years ago.

29. G. Combs says:

Update on the Chatham county Pittsboro area. There is flooding and the electric is out.

I am glad I got my friend out of the area. Deep River Rd (near Rt 1 south of Raleigh) has been closed. Last I saw the river is 13 ft above normal and expected to crest at 19 to 20 ft around thrusday… YUCK!

I am really glad I listened to my GEO prof and chose the top of the ridge to build instead of the ‘pretty area’ down by the river. (We have ~100 ac and 1000 ft river frontage)

30. Carolina Kat says:

North of Charlotte here. We had about ten inches total – some stiff gusts of wind. Neighbor lost a large tree. Our street is flooded, but we have an alternative route that is higher. Schools are closed today. We consider ourselves very lucky.

We had sandbagged the barn as it is in a lower part of our property and one horse had some water in the corner of her stall, but everyone was able to stand in shelter and be dry. (Note the horses were not confined during the storm). Berms we’d put in for the pastures directed the water as they should, but we had rivers running through them. Our worst case scenario stood the test. Our lights flickered but we did not lose power.

Sunshine today. Prayers going out for my fellow NC/SC neighbors who had worse experiences. Some real heartache coming in cleaning up this mess. Thank God the storm lessened as it approached the shore and slacked off as it came across the state. This was bad, but it could have been so much worse had it stayed at Cat 5.

• G. Combs says:

Glad you and your equines are doing ok. We only keep one horse stalled because he is recovering from thrush (hoof fungus) and I wanted to keep his feet dry.

• Carolina Kat says:

Thank you. I was really most worried about them. They’re almost never put up – but I considered it. I know, it’s best to let them be able to escape, but I was worried about all the flying debris. They took shelter anyway -I watched on my horsecam – and without the stress of confinement. All that water won’t be good for thrush – hope you can knock it soon. Thrushbuster works best for me, but I’ve also used a copper solution with good effect.

Glad to see you came through it as well.

31. It’s becoming a dern zoo. Fights and shooting over gas

• L. Gee says:

So glad to see you’ve still got your head above water!! Sorry to hear about the gas shortage and the resulting fights! I hope for your sake you don’t need any for a while.

Stay safe and thanks for checking in. Please keep us updated as you can.

32. smiley says:

good to see people coming back here after the worst of it…

…and now y’all got the T-Shirt 😀

(calling Dixie …plse check-in.)

33. smiley says:

NC Road Closures and re-openings… I-40 and I-95…info here…today…

34. Concerned Virginian says:

Durham County, NC: Areal flood warning just issued by Durham County Emergency Services.
    Guess Rd. (NC157 N) closed in several places.
    Cole Mill Rd. closed at Milton Rd. on one and at I 85 ramps on the other end.
    Cornwallis Rd., Constitution Rd. closed.
    US 15/ US 501 flooded earlier in several places, is open but slow.
    Hillandale Rd. flooded earlier, open now but slow.
    Tornados hit Oxford, NC area this morning.
    Roads around Butner, NC area closed. Tornado hit that area earlier today also.
    More heavy storms due in the entire area from early this evening until early Tuesday AM.
    680AM WPTF has good reports, updated frequently.