White House Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy Director Peter Navarro appeared on Fox Business last night to outline the U.S. position in the ongoing trade reset against communist China.  Almost all of the financial media and economic punditry are intentionally obfuscating the underlying nature of China’s economic model.

China is a communist central government controlled economic system.  Free-market principles do not apply when dealing with China; therefore trade strategies based on ‘free markets’ cannot succeed against the centralized planning of a communist regime.

This entry was posted in Big Government, China, Communist, Donald Trump, Economy, Election 2018, European Union, media bias, N Korea, NAFTA, President Trump, Taxes, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, US dept of agriculture, US Treasury, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

91 Responses to White House Trade and Manufacturing Director Peter Navarro Discusses Ongoing U.S. China Trade Reset…

1. wolfmoon1776 says:

As a den of SOCIALISTS, China NEEDS “other people’s money”, so it is DESIGNED to cheat, swindle, and conspire to GET other people’s money.

TREAT CHINA ACCORDINGLY.

• The Boss says:

F China.

• Bud Klatsch says:

Like x2

• fleporeblog says:

Americans absolutely agree with you!

From the article linked above:

Many in the manufacturing business worry the newly imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum imports can hurt the United States’ manufacturing base by driving up costs for both businesses and consumers. Most Americans agree it’s important to keep a major industrial base in the United States, even if it costs consumers more.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 89% of American Adults believe it is at least somewhat important for the United States to have a major manufacturing and industrial base, including 63% who believe it is Very Important. Only eight percent (8%) say it is not very or Not At All Important to keep a manufacturing base at home.

• GB Bari says:

Seems that message of “whatever it takes to keep manufacturing at home” was not too difficult for large numbers of people to understand. That means the Globalists 30+ year insistence that we convert to a service economy NEVER REALLY DID SELL WELL IN PEORIA (or anywhere else outside the Halls of the Elite).

Stay the course we are on. Keep increasing tariffs and barriers to these stubborn thieves until THEY blink! It is still early in the game….

• I personally hope they never blink and the days of ‘multilateral trade’ comes to an end.

The chief export of multilateral trade agreements is sovereign political authority to transnational governing bodies.

• squattybody says:

How we went from manufacturing enough to supply the war effort in WWII to being a “service economy” 40 years later was always a mystery to me. But thanks to Sundance and this site I now not only know how it happened, I know WHY it happened. And hate the reason it was done to us. So yes, I do want us to get back to “smoke stack” America where we make everything we need here. It is truly one of the most important aspects of national security.
            So let’s roll up our sleeves, pull out our old hard hats and

MAGA on!

• fleporeblog says:

Well said! Yet they had many believing in their BS because the MSM told us so.

• Bud Klatsch says:

• Jedi9 says:

Very well stated Wolf!

2. FL_GUY says:

In my opinion, the reason a Free Market economic system beats a Centralized Government economic system is that in a Free Market, smart people throughout the society can do their thing, whereas in a Centralized Government system, you are limited by the intelligence of the Gov officials (Look at Twinkle Socks). Our Obama socialist experiment, thank God now ended, shows how badly stupid, corrupt people with autocratic control can mess things up.

3. fallingsnow says:

Strike hard and strike smart.
    Thank VSGPT and his team, MAGA.
    Thank God for blessing us so much.

4. EV22 says:

Sundance posted this talk by Navarro on China few days ago. Highly recommended if you missed it. ( Skip the intro it you are short of time. Go straight to Navarro.)

5. FofBW says:

China reminds me of the puffer fish. At the moment he is all puffed up.

6. KittyKat says:

I’ve been thinking that the carrot President Trump is offering China is the wealth that could be gained by aiding in the reconstruction of North Korea.

He has made ultra special efforts to make friends with Xi.

• GB Bari says:

Yes and it seems that as of yet Xi has not understood that effort and is publicly displaying their normal position of arrogance and assumption of superiority. They live in a house of cards.

• The Trump Doctrine, among other things, holds that the US should every mechanism of influence to achieve US foreign policy objectives. Among these mechanisms is diplomacy.

In Asia, it is always important that your target have the ability to ‘save face’.

The Chinese — whether Communist or not — are very sensitive to any perceived disrespect.

Praising Xi is one way of communicating to the Chinese people that the US does not disrespect China. POTUS DJT’s statements praising Xi are one of the few things POTUS says that will likely be presented in Chinese media.

Virtually everything POTUS DJT says about Xi if for Chinese domestic consumption.

7. Kaco says:

I have been very angry today with our past leaders and corporations, allowing this Commie red nation to rise to such prominence, and subjecting us to their cheap replacements while outsourcing our labor to there.

I still remember the documentary, “Is Walmart good for America” and I’ve had a grudge and an ongoing 90% boycott against them for years as they were the ringleaders to moving their suppliers’ manufacturing to China to lower costs and increase profits. They strategized the whole thing. Then it was a domino effect, other manufacturers moved to compete. Not unlike contractors hiring illegals instead of Americans on construction, etc., because they were outbid by others that had an illegal crew. Now we gotta deal with this enormous Panda that can’t produce or anything on their own without copying with a poorer quality result.

My husband is doing some work in our house and is using a box of nails from Home Depot, he said it’s the worst nails he’s ever drilled, very soft.

I hope people will think twice next time before praising a leader of a nation like he’s a “good guy on our side” that shows our POTUS some hospitality, never trust Red China.

Next up, Putin. Don’t trust him either. Pres. Trump knows the score with him, too. Needs to work with him, but he’s not our friend either.

• KittyKat says:

President Trump’s approach toward China has been non confrontational though, the invite to Mar A Lago, etc.

I totally sympathize with your husband …

• Kaco says:

Oh, I agree with POTUS’ approach with China, wining and dining, etc. But we can’t let that distract us of the real mission here and fall for China’s charms toward our President. Obviously, our President knew the “Red Dragon” beneath the veneer. We can’t let China expand either.

• Red says:

If your husband is using screws it really is best to buy deck screws. I’ve stripped these cheap phillips head screws with a hand held screw driver, a Dewalt will destroy them! I’m a 5′ tall, 60 year old female…..seriously, do yourself a favor and buy deck screws. I forget the name, but they come in various lengths are are gray.

• Kaco says:

I will mention this to him. He said they weren’t like that a couple or so years ago. Total crap now! He’s building me a small extra closet in this dead space we have behind the door in our bedroom. I asked him if it’s going to fold when I put clothes on the rods, he says no, but he’s bent a few with them being so soft. He says he’s built this closet like a brick s-house, ready to spackle.

• Red says:

Lol, and the more they stripped out, the madder he became! I’ve been there…we remolded our house about 15 years ago, I was a screaming maniac until we started using deck screws. I keep them on hand now. If I have to do anything, even put up a cheap mini blind, I throw the dinky little screws away.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Best screws for decks or nail-type applications (as well as screw applications) are called SPAX. They have either posidrive (like Phillips, but non-slip) Torx, or square-drive heads, and are particularly good with hand-held screw drivers, as the screws are self-tapping. They might cost a little more, but they won’t corrode, break, or lose their heads. And they come in all different sizes and quite a few finishes (e.g. galvanized, stainless, yellow, coated, etc.).

I’ve used thousands of them; never had a problem. They also add life and strength to flat-pack furniture and bookshelves you don’t want to admit you bought when you were younger 🙂

P.S. I have no connection with these folks other than I was sick and tired of having screws snap off, heads strip, or wood split because the “self-threading” feature didn’t work… My niece had a “desk” that pancaked (she was in tears) and I reinforced it with a few discreetly-placed 2x4s (stained, of course) and an equally hidden but helpful dose of SPAX. I’m *cough* north of 300 pounds and I could sit on that desk after that. And no-one can see the reinforcements… good stuff.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Hand-help, oops, I meant POWER screwdrivers. Can do a whole deck (or bookshelf 🙂 ) really fast with them, as they don’t split and don’t need a pilot hole. And with my eyesight, that’s really important…

• highdezertgator says:

Torx deck screws… Six-Lobe head don’t strip too easly… just used some today. cheap brand philips head strip too easily
        Buy American http://www.carsonsales.com/american-made-screws
        Most made in chinnaaah is crap… take a look at any big box and “thrift” stores

• I agree with you Red, I’m 66 and my little electric screwdriver strips phillips head screws even when I’m just trying to hang a picture.

• truthseeker39525 says:

I have had very good results with Phillips BRAND screws, even though I had to buy them through Amazon (who I despise.)

I find the Grip-Rite brand ‘Fas’ners’ from Home Despot to be junk.
        Note that they are NOT ‘Fasteners’.
        I wonder if they ‘abbreviated’ the name just in case a lawsuit came up…. they can say “We said right on the box that they are ‘Fas’ners, NOT Fasteners.”

All the Best on your home project.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Not unlike contractors hiring illegals instead of Americans on construction, etc., because they were outbid by others that had an illegal crew.”

When I was in D.C. for the Inauguration, I met a contractor from Texas (he was also a volunteer) He used to employ 50-60 people and pay them a decent wage. He charged $13 per square foot to frame a house. He had to cut back to a dozen people because of the illegals, charging about $3 sq/ft.. Of course, they could not read blueprints, no insurance or compliance with OSHA, etc. My biggest mistake of the trip was not getting his contact information to give to some people I know. He had a great story to tell.

“Now we gotta deal with this enormous Panda that can’t produce or anything on their own without copying with a poorer quality result.”

I know people that did not think twice about the consequences of this cheap garbage that flooded the country. They thought it was great at the time to get such “bargains” or did not care that something was produced by slave labor in some third world country.

• Kaco says:

Yes, I agree, I knew guys who worked construction, made a living that way. I heard one guy say the only American on many a job site now is the plumber and electrician. At least your person is trying to stay in the game as best he can without resorting to illegal alien hiring.

I don’t like the garbage, sad to see some great industries and craftsmanship go to China. One of the reasons why I started collecting some antiques or vintage items. They don’t make ’em like they used to.

I started fighting this illegal alien invasion over a decade ago, when Bush was still in office when I was informed of it and got linked to Numbers USA and started faxing Congress. Back then, it was mostly border states, now they’re everywhere. But I knew it was coming then and how unfair it was and how much it was costing us in everything. I’d have to say illegal immigration has been my #1 issue in every election, along with trade and manufacturing.

• highdezertgator says:

You can “good” and you can get “cheap”…but you cannot get “good and cheap”

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

For folks in the computer industry (or those who have had PC or electronic equipment go up in smoke because of bad electrolytic capacitors, “elkos”), the story of “badcaps” is a perfect example of what happens when the Chinese steal (most of) a design and proceed to sell it as if it were their own… http://www.badcaps.net has the long, sad, story of this.

Briefly, a chinese spy photographed the formula for electrolyte for capacitors from a Japanese company, but somehow missed out the bits on the bottom right (or something) of the page.

As it works out, the formula ALMOST worked, but was sensitive to temperature variations, not as resistant to voltage fluctuations or extremes (i.e. out of spec for what it should be), and not as robust and long-lived as it should be. Hence BADCAPS.

Puffed up caps, brown sludge leaking out, short circuits, steam, smoke, and the occasional explosion were the result, often trashing equipment worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars. One PC motherboard manufacturer, ABIT, almost went bankrupt because of this; many others were also hard hit (early 2000s). There is still a lot of equipment out there with these Chinese-knockoff-timebombs waiting to leak, smoke, catch fire, or explode.

And all because of a corporate spy, and an incompetent one, at that. From China…

• It wasn’t just ABIT, Several Motherboard manufactures had this “problem” back “In the Day”.. ASUS, GigaByte, MSI, PcChips, etc, etc..

• Jedi9 says:

Speaking of computers, I am really disappointed in Apple, they have really gone down hill in terms of quality, so much I am thinking about going back to PC’s! Aside from my day job as a trader I am also a motion Graphics expert so I have to rely on Apple for this purpose, however after spending quite a bit of money on my computers, less than 3 years old I had to replace two monitors and a battery 3X in my laptop, because they are assembled and made in China! Their laptops also makes it impossible to replace the battery yourself due to the current design that they eliminated the trap door function that was featured on older models and now having to need special tools just to get to the battery if you need to change it! So frustrating! Apple as it is, is over priced for the quality they are currently putting out! Another factor is Tim Cook is a globalist, so I am not sure I want to be supporting a company who is led by such a d-bag!

• truthseeker39525 says:

Where I live the Chinese Sheetrock is a sore subject.
            After Hurricane Katrina (2005) there were a lot of flooded and partially-flooded homes, as well as new homes, reconstructed or constructed using sheetrock (drywall panels) from China. Contaminants in the Chinese sheetrock caused it to outgass carbon disulfide, carbonyl sulfide, and hydrogen sulfide. (I just got the chemical names from Wikipedia, but I saw the damage first-hand.) The gases attacked anything copper- electrical wiring, copper plumbing pipe and copper tubing and wiring in HVAC equipment, turning the copper to black corrosion.
            Many, many houses had to be gutted to the studs, all the electrical, plumbing, and heat/AC equipment replaced….. all because the contractors and ‘big box’ stores tried to save a few bucks by using cheaper Chinese sheetrock.
            I think the driving factor was the big retailers, who forced manufacturers to cut cost (or they would use a supplier who WOULD cut cost) by moving production to low-cost countries (primarily China), along with the building contractors, of whom I see a FEW who insist on good quality stuff, but MOST buy the CHEAPEST material available, so as to put more money in their OWN pockets.

• If you are not doing video production, Apple isn’t really worth it.

• USTerminator says:

If there is no requirement of E-verify to all businesses and super stiff penalty of jailing executives for violations then businesses would rather hire illegals over Americans whenever possible.

• Kaco says:

I’ve been faxing this to Congress for over 10 years. Now we know why they don’t listen! Hopefully, if POTUS gets some more support come November, we’ll get some work done.

• Jedi9 says:

Yeah! E-Verify needs to have some teeth and would quickly fix a lot of problems related to illegal immigration in addition to having a wall built! I wonder why Trump has not focused on this? Maybe because with all the RINO and Uni party garbage in the house who are bought by the COC that any bill presented wouldnt have a chance of passing?

• FrankieZ says:

China can’t last 6 months without us. We can last forever without China. Just think about that. And the #1 issue is FOOD. Without money they can’t feed their people.

• BHarvey says:

Putting pressure on China from my perspective can only result in good outcomes. Sure we will have some short term pain but for long term gain. As I see it returning manufacturing to the US is a national security issue (capability to ramp up to a war footing if we need it) as well as safeguarding our technology. Likewise if we can inflict economic pain on the Chinese populace we could see mass unrest in the country perhaps causing change in the leadership and eventually the downfall of a Communist government. While that may be overly optimistic I think it is a course worth pursuing. On a similar track I understand rampant inflation (40% drop in the value of rial) in Iran is beginning. Again if we can cause hyperinflation which in turn will spark mass protest perhaps we can drive a similar outcome in Iran.

8. Rex70 says:

This is a trade war worth fighting, a trade war worth winning–and rarely won overnight. The Bloomberg pearl-clutchers and anti-Trumper, media “experts” have gone immediately wobbly, but Payne and we braver and wiser ones like him are in it for the duration.

• L4grasshopper says:

The Uniparty and the Globalists hate the idea of their applecart being upset.

That’s why, for example, the open borders WSJ prints 2 or 3 articles a day bemoaning Trump’s trade moves and immigration policies.

• GB Bari says:

I wouldn’t know. I stopped reading the Wall Street Urinal years ago after I recognized they were no longer reliable advocates for policies that helped me and middle class America. The few good articles or op-Ed’s that they occasionally publish (the old saying about a stopped clock….) are always linked or quoted in better online sources.

• AH_C says:

Stay on target…

Trump’s taking on heavy flak, but we must press on. This is indeed a “war” worth fighting to the end.

• USTerminator says:

The trade war are worth to fight any time. The best case we reclaim economic independence and superiority and prosperity for generations to come. The worst case China can pay or collect the taxes for us. US government can use that tax to reduce the deficit or tax cut for everyone. Win win in any case for USA. Just imagine that PDJT will announce that he want to put all tariffs in escrow account and at the end credit them back to the taxpayers as tax credit. We might have many people cheering for more tariffs. Remember if you don’t want to pay tariffs them don’t buy imported products.

• highdezertgator says:

I am really really getting tired of the term “trade war”.. it is “socio-economic cultural warfare”…for the survival of our republic and our Judeo-Christian Freedom.
      I understand it is the “gaslighting term” MSM is using… not one of them could explain true free market principles such as FA Hayek or Milton Friedman espoused. (rant done now)
      Love the Sundance CTH Universityand and all the Treeps.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Exactly. It is a trade RESET, to what SHOULD BE and what is FAIR.

What the YSM obfuscates as “Free Trade” is, in reality, neither free nor fair.

What we should have is FAIR TRADE. Something we did have in the USA before the globalists got involved and instituted the Fed and the income tax, etc. The USA originally made its income off of tariffs, though I’m not sure if that could be done now (would be neat if it could…).

Gail Combs has some great articles and info on that (Gail, if you’re watching…).

9. Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Free-market principles do not apply when dealing with China; therefore trade strategies based on ‘free markets’ cannot succeed against the centralized planning of a communist regime.”

The Libertarians with their Utopian ideals of “free trade & open borders” just cannot seem to grasp that. Their vision would only work in a fictional world where everything was fair and no one cheated.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

I Samuel 16:7:7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

10. litlbit2 says:

Every day practically anywhere our President allows the not normal to expose themselves of their hidden agenda while talking transparency, peace etc for the fair treatment of people around the world.

It is a blessing to see those that constantly place folks in a box, defining their enemies us. Then start the endoctrination process to destroy those against their agenda. Now to be the really evil ones in the box.

2015 launched the process, 2016 made it happen, 2017 the actual impelimation of the effort, 2018 the world of the forgotten takes notice. November 2018 https://youtu.be/OwDiPrFCM0M

11. TheWanderingStar says:

The longer the Chinese drag this out the more market share they are bound to lose. Consumers and businesses will begin to find other US based alternatives or other friendly off-shore opportunities that can meet their US demands without a lot of uncertainty. So, Chairman Xi, drop the mask and get serious.

12. Piggy says:

Should not do business with China without protection, and when I say protection I mean a big prophylactic around our sell out politicians. Our current clown politicians (not Navarro) have literally pumped up a stupid economic system, and a government who would be just above the peasantry their own country still oppresses if they wouldn’t have and contine to attempt to redistribute American wealth for percentages. China wouldn’t be anything but a totalitarian regime lording over people who can’t fight back if it wasn’t for our “leaders”. We need protection from ourselves.

Bring the tariffs. Go Navarro!

P.S. Our politicians are not our leaders they’re supposed to work for us. They are not “lawmakers” they’re salesman to other interests for lobbies who don’t represent us. Hold them accountable.

13. Ausonius says:

We just returned from a shopping trip to “Big Lots,” which sells “seconds” or shopworn items, or simply items that failed in test markets.

I have noticed a rise in “Made in America” signs and labels in this store and a good number of others in the last months: storage containers, pillows, pots and pans, etc.

It is high time to say NO to Communist Chinese slave-labor (or quasi-slave labor), which has created the disastrous pessimism among the under-employed, under-skilled, whatever you want to call them. MAObama said jobs for them would never be coming back: they WILL come back, if our government insists on Fair Trade: completely “free trade” works only if all sides are honest, and honesty has been distilled out of China and Russia and many other countries because of Communism/Socialism.

I have read articles about Greece which said that the basic trust needed for a working society is gone there, destroyed by years of socialism. People trust only immediate family, and even then they count the change.

“Dishonesty is the only way to survive there!” Two Bulgarian orphans recently enrolled in my school: we were warned about their dishonesty, lying and stealing were necessary for survival there, we were told.

My son attended USC’s Medical School 10 years ago: he left in disgust, because the Chinese exchange students cheated completely openly, forming cartels of cheating techniques. When he protested, he was told to be tolerant of “different ways of studying”!!!

14. Prepare for a POTUS tweet/announcements: Let’s get it on … at the right “pacing”.

1. REDOUBLED Tariffs that RECIPROCATE for Chinese IP Theft and Trade Violations.

2. Announcements that we CURRENTLY see a RISK that Corporate Boards of Officers operating in China face self-enabled INTERNATIONAL-MARKET DESTRUCTION that violates their FIDUCIARY DUTY.
    • Chinese CONFISCATION of their IP with no Corporate Recourse.
    • Chinese DUPLICATION of their Technology Capabilities and Competitive Advantages.
    • Chinese DISPLACEMENT of their Presence and Market Share in Foreign Countries.

Translation: There’s NO WAY that China will or culturally could STOP CHEATING.
    • Official and INESCAPABLE warning.
    • Pending Personal IMPRISONMENT & BANKRUPTCY.

3. Encouragement for Corporations to IMMEDIATELY TRANSITION their presence from corrupt foreign countries to the SECURITY and PROTECTION of the USA or any other country that has demonstrated the capacity and stones to stand up to China.

4. FINAL HAMMER: “Perhaps it’s time for the Congress or SEC to require Corporations to INSURE against the $600 Billion in annual LOSSES due to IP Theft from doing business with China.”

Imagine being FORCED to INSURE against RISK they CREATED!
    • Imagine the Insurance Industry lobbying and campaign contributions to make it happen!
    • Imagine USCOC trying to deflect and divert.

15. Then POTUS has that private conversation with CEOs:

1. What in your wildest imagination led you to think you’d PROFIT from China?

2. What makes you think China won’t SPIKE SALES TAXES by foreign subsidiaries?

3. What makes you think China won’t SPIKE CORPORATE TAXES on foreign-owned Profits?

4. What makes you think China won’t MANDATE HIGHER CHINESE SHARE of foreign-owned Producers … for the privilege of continuing operations?

5. What makes you think China won’t FORECLOSE on RELOCATION of foreign-owned Operations if you don’t leave in the first wave?

6. What makes you think China won’t NATIONALIZE foreign-owned Operations once they begin to flee?

7. What in your WILDEST imagination makes you think America would go to WAR with China to protect your ownership of operations you
    • PULLED out of America to KILL American JOBS or
    • BUILT in China to SUPPRESS American WAGES?

CLINCHER:
    “You DO know that at the first sign of a Trade or Physical Conflict (NK)…”
    • We’ll be BLOCKING ALL Banking Transactions with China.
    • We’ll be SANCTIONING ALL Companies doing business with or in China.
    • We’ll be TERMINATING ALL Imports from China…
    … DON’T you.

The S.E.C. will be requesting confirmation tomorrow that you have shared these MARKET and OWNERSHIP RISKS with your INVESTORS and EMPLOYEES.”

16. Paul Killinger says:

No offense, but over time a Communist centrally planned economy CANNOT by its very nature sucessfully stand up against free market Capitalism.

It’s never happened, so long as the free Capitalist society is unafraid and actually dares to COMPETE!.

Indeed, were that the case we’d have long ago been speaking German or Russian, wouldn’t we?

• Communist China never will out-compete with America now that President Trump’s entire administration is dedicated to removing EVERYTHING that held our Maganomic Economy back:
      • STARVATION Taxation
      • SUFFOCATING Regulations and
      • BLOODSUCKING Trade Deals

• zooamerica says:

Many people forget the fact that Nazi Germany was all about National Socialism.

Socialism is nothing but a means to achieving Communism – I think Gorbachev once said that if I correctly recall.

• WRB says:

All true, but before PDT, the US economy was enwrapped in growing regulations, taxes, and is still in a demographic death spiral (how do you become socialist? import socialists). Under HRC, we would have continued down that path, and under those circumstances China had a fighting chance. Now the US has the better odds (or, at least I hope so!)

17. zooamerica says:

Has anyone here ever been to China?

Let’s put it this way – you can’t flush toilet paper down the toilets in China – seriously.

You don’t sit, you squat and the TP is thrown into a waste bin.

The bathrooms in China have another surprise for Westerners…

Some people actually live in small rooms next to the bathroom, and are in charge of maintaining the facility.

China’s biggest problem is a lack of fresh, clean water.

Without water…well….you die.

China is also very dirty. For those who can afford to drive a car, vehicles are often covered in soot from nearby factory pollution.

It is rare to have a sunny day in China because the air is filled with pollution.

President Nixon was a very smart man.

• prenanny says:

Yes I have and can confirm the “toilet” situation.
      #1 Rule of traveling is always bring your own tp, in some countries it is like crepe paper.
      Not sure but I think the reason tp is put into a basket in China is so they can reuse it for the “dirtier” bodily function…
      Things they don’t tell you when traveling.

• Jedi9 says:

That depends where in China you are at! Beijing Imo is the most polluted due to where it’s situated in the basin on the mountain range where smog can not escape! My wife’s home town Yen Tai is beautiful and by the sea, and has clean air! Many of the toilets you speak of are being modernised with the American Standard brand replacing the squatter toilets you speak of! President Xi has committed billions of dollars to modernising public rest rooms as well, so this has been in effect for at least since he was elected to office! Also China has committed a lot of money in renewable energy research and are currently leading the way in EV vehicle infrastructure development. When I was visiting my wife’s home just 3 weeks ago, one thing I did notice is all the recharging stations they have for owners of EV vehicles! Tesla is widely seen as many are driving those vehicles both in China and in HK!

So with that being said, I think China going this way is a good thing, the problem I have with China is their economic model and not being a Free Market system where they would be forced to compete on a level playing field! They know this because it gives them an advantage in gaming the system to however they see fit. So forcing them to change will mean significant changes both to their political model as well as to their economic model in order to have fair trade with China! This so called trade issue is designed for such intents and will take some time before China realises the pain. The US trade strategy is ten fold, such vetting other trade partners who trade with China to be held accountable and subject to tariffs should they try to sneak made in China products into the US market place. So ultimately China will be isolated as more countries who do business with US will comply eventually forcing China to come to the table and change their behaviour! However that being said, this is something that is going to take time, and I say the more tariffs on China the better as this continues to escalate in the tit for tat war that many are saying will happen! So be it!

18. itswoot says:

Was it Confucius who said, “You can teach a parakeet to walk up a stairway, but not to hold onto the bannister at the same time” ? **wink**

China is like that parakeet in that they are climbing the economic ladder of success. They are good at manufacturing, but at the same time they don’t have the talent of innovation that we Americans have, so they rely on making many of their technological advancements by stealing it from us. Also, by buying through corrupt business leaders and politicians who sell out to them.

Backstabbers.

19. repsort says:

Love his humility. Dunno what’s in his heart, but he seems like a good man.

20. Kiddno1 says:

Here is a website for finding american made products, organized by category. They are much better quality and longer-lasting than the cheap Imports. Also supports American workers and our own economy.

“Some say you pay more for American Made items and maybe you will, however in the long run you will almost certainly have a better made item made in a labor friendly fashion under environmental laws that protect us all. Most foreign factories operate in ways that would be illegal in the United States. Only you have the power to level the playing field when you decide to buy products made in the USA whenever you can. Please read the article here if you would like more reasons why you should buy American made products.”

21. zooamerica says:

China has lost over 20% of its market wealth since President Trump simply asked for free, equal and reciprocal trade agreements.

China’s stock market is taking a big dive…meanwhile….

The Dow is hovering at the 24-25K mark until the midterm elections are over….a plateau before what’s to come.

My hunch is that there will be a HUGE October Rally on Wall Street prior to the midterms.

If democrats win in November, the US Stock Market will lose at least 20% of its value in 1 Day.

If republicans win big in November, get ready for Dow 30,000 +

22. I posted this in another thread, and I’d like to hear more from fellow treeters on this:

Not feeling good about this news… It’s way too early to waive white flag…

USTR Releases Product Exclusion Process for Chinese Products Subject to Section 301 Tariffs
    Washington, DC – The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) today announced a process to obtain product exclusions from the additional tariffs in effect on certain products imported from China under the U.S. response to China’s unfair trade practices related to the forced transfer of U.S. technology and intellectual property.

Today, additional tariffs of 25 percent come into effect for Chinese products imported under 818 tariff lines, covering a trade value of approximately $34 billion in 2018. These tariff lines contain products identified as benefiting from China’s industrial policies, including the “Made in China 2025” program. The list of products subject to tariffs was determined by a 90-day process that included public hearings and a notice and comment period.

USTR is providing an opportunity for the public to request exclusion of a particular product from the additional duties to address situations that warrant excluding a particular product within a subheading, but not the tariff subheading as a whole.

23. Cooper45 says:

A Bridge Too Far or a Daring Achievement

I suspect it will be the latter but China believes they have Trump and his negotiators at a great disadvantage. It’s called democracy and China doesn’t have to worry about the people’s electorate. He’s the supreme life long leader of the Central Committee that will always vote in his favor but if any ordinary citizen or Committee member complains about his policies too loudly, they soon find themselves “incognito.”

There are only 5 months until the U.S. mid terms and China is relying on it by targeting commodities in Trump country. I suspect they will also do whatever they can to interfere with the elections of each candidate and the Dems will either look away or encourage and support them. Rainbow socks has an election soon and “standing up” to Trump and bellowing “We will not be pushed around” sells well in anti Trump Canada. Justin’s committed billions in bailouts for tariff affected parties and believes he can easily hold out until after the mid terms as it’s the people’s money he’s doling out I believe the other countries are also holding out to see how the American people will react when the tariffs begin to impact their lives. The entire caterwauling MSM, the Dem propaganda networks and the “enraged” professional protesters etc will soon be aligning themselves with the other countries and against the USA with a little help from China.

Trump has been incredibly daring and successful so far and if he can renegotiate and win the multi front tariff war before the mid terms or defeat the “Blue Wave” first in November and then win the trade wars around the globe, it will be similar to parting the Red Sea. I would not bet against him.

24. For those that don’t realize this..
    It’s slipped “almost” under the wire..
    I AM a Yuge supporter of AMD (Or was)..
    This is a BAD development, REAL BAD.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    AMD is licensing x86 IP to Chinese firm.
    China Finds Zen: Begins Production Of x86 Processors Based On AMD’s IP
    Chinese-designed “Dhyana” x86 processors based on AMD’s Zen microarchitecture are beginning to surface from Chinese chip producer Hygon. The processors come as the fruit of AMD’s x86 IP licensing agreements with its China-based partners and break the decades-long stranglehold on x86 held by the triumvirate of Intel, AMD and VIA Technologies. Details are also emerging that outline how AMD has managed to stay within the boundaries of the x86 licensing agreements but still allow Chinese-controlled interests to design and sell processors based on the Zen design.

25. RH says:

Trump needs to impose $500 billion tariff on Chinese goods without further delay – There are so many benefits in doing just this one action.

• Jedi9 says:

He will but doing it incrementaly is a wiser approach in reaction to China hitting us! That way he has and maintains the higher ground and thus over time will be more damaging to China’s bottom line! This also has to coincide with our allies and setting up the unilateral agreements to cut China off at the pass from outbidding US should they decide on alternative routes to shore up their deficits of imported goods such as Australia, New Zealand, and EU partnership! In some respects this is already happening with new agreements with India, but more needs to be done to insure US interests are going forward and are protected for the future! Advanced tech is a big player in China’s economic ambitions just as Navarro is so aptly to point out in his recent report!

• I respectfully disagree. The phased nature of the tariffs allows manufacturers — including foreign manufacturers — to shift production to the US.

I’m not a big supporter of foreign direct investment (FDI).

However, it’s clear that CFIUS is monitoring Chinese FDI very closely.

26. Pyrthroes says:

As CTH, among others, has consistently emphasized, the term ” trade war” is a misnomer for Trump’s ongoing confrontation with Red Dragonet Peking. In this case, international trade is not a matter of competitive bidding between two entrepreneurial free-market risk/reward economies, but of correcting ChiComs’ long-term dirigiste manipulations, radically skewed against U.S. commercial/industrial interests for decades as prior Administrations turned blind eyes.

As Sundance also observes, however, China’s exploitation via NAFTA and TPP is notably parasitic. Systemically unable to innovate (“planning to fail” is von Mises’ term for centralized bureaucratic kakistocracies), China perversely depends upon the very fruits of American capitalism which the regime’s policies determinedly undermine.

As Trump, a VSG, has been the first to recognize, Chairman Xi’s inherently self-destructive policies (“socialist contradictions”, anyone?) leave the U.S. holding all the cards. “No bluff, no stuff”, as one might say… for all its subtlety in detail, el Excellente’s macro-economic course is readily direct and comprehensible: Free Trade means Fair Trade, or it means nothing; and Fair Trade gives America “house odds”. Reagan smiles.

27. Ospreyzone says:

Here is the reality in China. Their retail sales are in the red. Industrial production is down significantly. Fixed asset investment is down. The Shanghai Composite Index is down 17% on the year. President Trump’s economy is booming. President Xi’s, …not so much.

China has waged a trade war against us for 30-years. Finally, we have a President who intends to win it. And no matter what the conga line of talking heads on cable TV say, …we ARE winning it.