Mike Pompeo Confirmed and Sworn-In as Secretary of State…

The Senate voted Thursday to confirm CIA chief Mike Pompeo as President Trump’s next secretary of state.  Secretary Pompeo was confirmed on a 57-42 vote.  All Republicans present voted to confirm Pompeo. Seven Democrats voted yes.

After the vote, Pompeo was sworn in by Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito in the West Conference Room of the Supreme Court:

I am pleased with the Senate’s confirmation of Mike Pompeo to serve as our country’s top diplomat. Having a patriot of Mike’s immense talent, energy, and intellect leading the Department of State will be an incredible asset for our country at this critical time in history. He will always put the interests of America first. He has my trust. He has my support. Today, he has my congratulations on becoming America’s 70th Secretary of State.

~ President Donald J Trump

This entry was posted in ASEAN, Canada, CIA, Deep State, Egypt & Libya Part 2, Election 2018, G20, G7, Iran, Islam, Israel, Japan, media bias, N Korea, NATO, North Africa, President Trump, Russia, Secretary of State, Secretary Pompeo, Syria, Uncategorized, Yemen. Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to Mike Pompeo Confirmed and Sworn-In as Secretary of State…

1. Col.Sanders says:

Good. Now hurry up and release the texts. Thats why they were trying to hold him up.

2. Pam says:

This was an excellent move by our president. I think Pompeo will make an outstanding SOS.

3. bkrg2 says:

Altho I really like T Rex, I am looking forward to SoS Mike Pompeo
    Will be forever grateful for his role in helping get N Korea under control

• dawg says:

Ehhh, I never liked Rex. I think this is a homerun hire.

• bkrg2 says:

dawg, why did you not like Rex? I’m seriously asking as there have been several Treepers that did not like Rex before he left. No one would ever answer me why.

• CirclinTheDrain says:

Because T-Rex revealed himself as a globalist, someone who in several ways undercut the President’s policy initiatives. Can’t have that in a highly-placed subordinate.

• pyromancer76 says:

President Trump might have needed a highly, highly competent “globalist” at first, especially one with amazing contacts around the world (esp. Middle East). I think he was helpful at the beginning and gave a kind of gravitas., Glad when he left, but I’m sorry that the end was the way it was. It was time, though.

• fleporeblog says:

Well said! You needed someone like TREX to set the stage in the ME (especially) and in other parts of the world. Pompeo would have sent the wrong message up front. The timing for the change was absolutely perfect. Pompeo is now needed for the most important time in the history of our Country. Kim Jong-un and President Moon from South Korea will be meeting in less than 12 hours. Their meeting will set the stage for the ultimate meeting by our President and Kim Jong-un.

• Tegan says:

Pry…right on the money. Came in with a very good grasp of the ME, good connections, etc. and for that alone, his service was very valuable. But, my impression was that after awhile he seemed to forget who he was representing…Trump. And, IMO, he really didn’t seem that interested in the much needed reorganization of the State Department. Yes, very difficult to do when constantly on the road but after all he ran a corporation with over 100,000 employees.

• fred5678 says:

Sword dance experience helped mightily on ME trip,
              and being among his many Arab acquaintances with POTUS helped enable “Drive them out”, which goes down in history with “Mr. Gorbachev, tear DOWN this wall!”

• TheWanderingStar says:

And I don’t think T-Rex wanted to really put foot to ass on the DSers embedded in DoS.

• Dekester says:

It appears to be really straightforward. The more difficult the Dems and the odd RINO makes for the nominees. The better the hire.
          Just my opinion.

God bless PDJT

• bkrg2 says:

Definitely truth to that theory. Note the record for votes against a SoS nomination was 14
            Rex had 43 against and Pompeo 42

• thenewyoungrepublicanblog says:

TRex was crucial for Phase One of Trump’s foreign policy strategy, namely, his expertise in understanding the world’s oil supply. TRex was perfect for that role, to advise Trump on all the players and mechanics of the underlying economic current that everything else ultimately relies. Now that that is accomplished (see the recent shift in the global oil industry that puts the US at a major advantage and straps Russia and OPEC), TRex’s expertise is no longer needed as much as Pompeo’s specific set of skills.

Welcome to Phase Two.

Pompeo brings to the table intelligence and an expertise of every player in every nation, specifically trouble areas like Iran. The shift will now focus on undercutting NK, Iran, and Russia. Pompeo, knowing who all the players are, will be able to advise the best people Trump can approach and how to leverage them in negotiations. That takes not just diplomatic skill, but a strong knowledge base of those involved. When your top spook becomes your top diplomat, expect some big things to happen. Mark my words, we will see MAJOR changes in Iran soon, and Pompeo will have a distinct role.

4. Ziiggii says:

I wonder what POTUS had to give up to the swamp creatures to get this confirmation moved along quickly….🤔?

5. Gil says:

I think Noko will move faster. I hope we see more significant house cleaning within SOS, and overseas “assets”. Also Iran heating up is going to make for a busy summer!

6. Mercenary says:

Terrific. Our President and our nation keeps winning.

7. MaineCoon says:

These confirmations are like pulling teeth. I have nothing but disdain for the RINOs & Mitch. After all the D’s are the minority. If we deplorables don’t give him lots of MAGA people in the fall, vote for who he says to vote for, frankly, I wouldn’t blame him if he didn’t run again. I know I’ve had it with this crap.

• fleporeblog says:

Say what you want about the Turtle and you would be 95% correct! However, the one place the man is working at record speed is allowing our President to remake the judicial system. Have to give credit where credit is due.

• MaineCoon says:

Totally agree about judicial appointments, Flep, but there is more than that going on. If Mitch can’t multi-task, I have no use for him. Our President deserves a multi-tasker. He’s not a one-task president and neither should Mitch be that. He multi-tasks, big time. If Mitch can’t keep up, needs to move on.

• fleporeblog says:

He is NOW talking a good game about the Lankford legislation that would change Cloture from 30 hours to 8 hours. Lets see where that goes. I agree with you MaineCoon that talk is cheap!

• MaineCoon says:

Our MAGA President stated 6,7,8??? months ago that they should go nuclear. Turtle is slow as molasses. He just is not up to this job, imo. He’s 76 yo and can’t keep up with all that needs to be done. He has a pre-Trump mindset – just do business as usual — the old RINO/D way. Getting new judges on the benches is great, but that isn’t where the majority of the action takes place, although current judges politicize when possible. The Rule of Law according to the Constitution will take decades, if ever, to happen and reverse current non-Constitution judges — long after P45 is not president. Mitch is not doing the job a youthful, MAGA Senate Leader would do. He’s old hat – not new, red MAGA hat.

We deserve better and most of all our President does. .

• McConnell is not just a preTrump Leader, he’s still a NoTrump Leader. He is too busy holding his nose to get anything substantial accomplished. I wonder who’s paying him to keep that clothespin on his nose.

• GB Bari says:

That’s an interesting perspective and hard to dispute. Mitch is inconsistent at best but he does seem to know his job w.r.t. getting the judges through and the importance of turning the SCOTUS back towards respecting the Constitution.

Other than that he is certainly unreliable on other critical MAGA agenda items because IMO he is most likely a K Street puppet under the control of globalists, multinationals, USCOC, and Wall Street. He’s a shrewd, cagey guy who knows how to say the right things to his Kentucky constituents to keep getting re-elected via big money. Maybe lack of a quality challenger has been the real story up to now.

Other than Mike Lee, I don’t know who I’d support for Senate Majority Leader to replace McTurtle.

• Crewdog 52 says:

I don’t like McConnell, BUT, if not for him, OZero would have had the pick to replace Scalia. For that alone I have to bite my tongue.

• MaineCoon says:

Agree he did that, but I can’t accept that I have to let him rest of that laurel. We Rs have been so beaten down by these RINO’s & Ds that we accept the tiny breadcrumbs “they” feed us and don’t think we deserve better. Kinda like an abused spuse who never leaves the abusive spouse. Not putting you down,but I do put that concept down. We deserve better that Mitch has to offer.

If the Senate were choosing a new majority leader, someone who’d never held the position before, would we Deplorables choose this 76 yo man who have lived in the swamp for decades (??). I wouldn’t. I’d pick a Leader with the same attributes and energy as our President.

• fleporeblog says:

He will take that WIN with him to the grave! Democrats, MSM, Leftist etc. will always hate him for it.

8. fleporeblog says:

Sworn in and already on his way overseas!

9. Margaret Berger says:

There is rot in the state department and Pompeo knows where it is. Hope he cleans it out.

10. Ray Runge says:

This is an official Yippy ahee kai yo. The Department of State will commence to become part of the United States, Donadl Trump Administration Pompeo brings similar international vision for USA in the world at POTUS. AND air least aa important, an active administrator that can identify hold overs with personal agendas. People that will have the opportunity to make a living outside of government.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

” an active administrator that can identify hold overs with personal agendas.”

And/or Globalist/NWO agendas. Highly suspect would be anyone in good standing with the CFR. Time to open some polygraph suites inside the State Department and ask for volunteers to step forward and PROVE their loyalty to the President and his MAGA agenda. Otherwise, find the door and let yourself out.

11. Ditch Mitch says:

Not surprising dims that voted to confirm are in red states up for reelection.

12. Avi says:

Pompeo has a great resume , but one would think that the valedictorian of West Point would be too disciplined to be portly like myself.

• Tegan says:

Really? And you would think all surgeons would be in tip top shape, never smoke or drink, eat no sugar, etc.
      Please…is that the most important thing?

• fred5678 says:

A bit surprised at that myself.

Too much good home cookin’ ??

• lastinillinois says:

Gotta be that.

Looks like I do coming out of every winter, as the wife has become the world’s best cook over the last 3 decades.

And then I spend the summer trying to get my ‘girlish figure’ back – a never ending cycle!

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“portly like myself.”

• Bill says:

“Using size as an intimidation factor in negotiations -like having a handshake with a crushing vice-like grip.”

The vice-grip handshake is a real NO-NO in Korea. If you insult them that way, you are not taken seriously.

• Weight gain has been blamed on poor self-control for years. Medical research in the past decade points to other fundamental causes from changes in gut microbiome (common for those who travel internationally) to physiological changes from inflammatory conditions.

Another little known fact is that those who are the most disciplined at following what they believe to be a “good diet” can actually be the ones putting on the most weight. If their body type or gut microbiome would be better suited for a different diet than the one they have mentally bought into, they will have the greatest trouble slimming to a healthy weight.

I would not judge a person as undisciplined merely because they are “portly.”

• yucki says:

Praying his BP is normal, stays that way.
      Our KILLER gotta be fighting fit!

• covfefe999 says:

Conventional wisdom is wrong about weight. Data shows that overweight people have the lowest risk of death of all of the weight categories. So eat up, people! 🙂 If he gets regular physical activity and doesn’t smoke, drink too much, or do illicit drugs, he’s good.

• piper567 says:

covfefe, true story!I walk w/a woman who might be 40# overweight, and she runs circles around me. She’s at the gym every day, and walks ab 5-6 miles a day. I think she’s fit, no doubts.

13. Ziiggii says:

14. Ziiggii says:

15. Frank says:

Great News! General Pompeo please clean out that rat’s nest, and then… Attorney General!

16. Ziiggii says:

interesting timing… Pompeo gets sworn in and then the texts get sent to Congress an hour later

#NoRedactions

17. Atticus "The Deplorable" says:

Congratulations Mr. Secretary.
    Now go out there and make us proud!

18. ImHopeful says:

Very happy this got done; looking forward to “Great” things from Secretary Pompeo.
    I also like that he will now be in a position to get/keep things moving at State as far as any pending document requests/production, classification/declassification reviews, etc… in the ongoing investigations. Bring on the winning!!!

19. steveO says:

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the swamp drainer! Best man for the job next to Bolton. Let the pink slips fly

20. ilovevictoriasbows says:

7 Democrats (I think one was Angus King (I), but the other six are No. Dakota, Alabama, WV, Indiana, MO, and Fl (Ben Nelson). Must have polling data.😆

21. frank field says:

Ahhhh. Another winning decision. This American is happy happy.

DRAIN IT

22. jello333 says:

Actually, this guy has already been SOS for awhile now. I mean, what do we call his visit to NK? He was pretty much acting as SOS to help work out the deal. I can imagine if the Senate had refused to vote him in. Trump would be like, “Fine, I’ll pick someone else for the official title of SOS, but I’ll also just keep on sending out Pompeo to wherever I want, and there’s not a thing you can do about it.”