Ya know, it’s increasingly funny to watch the Wall Street crowd going bananas simply because POTUS Trump does exactly what POTUS Trump said he was going to do.  I mean it’s not like the administration has been hiding the trade policy plans and objectives for the past year; yet, the financial class acts shocked, SHOCKED, when it actually happens.

Cue the audio visual demonstration….. Was anyone paying attention in January at the Davos World Economic Forum when Commerce Secretary Ross said exactly what the administration was going to do in the coming months?  ….Apparently not.

Against the backdrop of current financial and corporate media running around like blindfolded zombies with forks in their eyes – hysterically bumping into walls, it might be worthwhile to revisit Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross’s purposeful remarks at Davos:

Twitter Thread HERE to Expand Full Dynamic

This entry was posted in ASEAN, Big Government, China, Dem Hypocrisy, Donald Trump, Economy, media bias, NAFTA, President Trump, Taxes, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, US Treasury, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

98 Responses to A Trade War? No, a Coordinated Phase-Two Trade Policy Shift by the Trump Administration…

1. mikebrezzze says:

Any ideas what a perfect financial play would be for a small time investor?

• WSB says:

American-centric public companies who make things, I would think. Coming from a novice, though.

• luke says:

You are correct….domestic industrials and energy….use exchange traded funds (ETF’s). $5 for buy and sell with most brokerages (Fidelity). There are a gazillion ETF…..stay with the big players like SPDR and IShares. I was doing great until February lol….The correction shoukd be over for the most part; though still maybe some downturn left to shake out over this new trade stance….but the fundamentals of the MAGA economy are strong….I’m a bull all the way.

• Ari says:

Sell short, then play the long game. Buy commodities for six months then switch to stocks and bonds. Buy gold and silver until the tipping point then buy penny stocks and wait for a split. Avoid stock with dividends unless you were born in March.

That’s my advice after listening to 20 years of advice on TV and radio shows.

• luke says:

Domestic Industrials/Manufacturing. Another great opportunity is ITA (IShares Aerospace and Defense). Look for ETF’s stay awsy from individual stocks. ETF’s are bought and sold like stocks. ETF’s are similar to mutual funds but with a much lower expense ratio. Use the big boys (SPDR Funds and IShares)…again I am focused on Energy, Industry, and Defense…all mainly domestic.

• WSB says:

I will at least clarify that my historical interest has been in small cap American stocks; but there should be substantial growth in large cap American companies who will participate in the remaking of America.

• dbobway says:

American brick and mortar stocks. They are good buys right now.
        I go by “It’s not what’s going to happen with President Trump’s economic agenda,
        But when”
        He is doing everything he has been fighting for since I can remember.
        American companies that make stuff here will win with Trump.
        Infrastructure is going to happen.

• fleporeblog says:

Russell 2000 companies since they represent companies in the US!

This was from Friday:

• AncientChineseSecret says:

Perfect? I’m not so sure that isn’t a “unicorn in the garden” however, my team and I look for difficult to shift major themes like aging demographics in the USA and globally. Biotech, senior living/memory care facilities, etc. We also implement a Peter Lynch style approach and when we look around our every day lives we see crumbling infrastructure in the USA which absolutely has to change. I have traveled all over the world the last 20 years. I have been to China at least 20 times and I can tell you our infrastructure is an embarrassment. Whether it’s our roads, bridges, airports, railways, electric grid, broadband, cellular networks, etc. The next 25-50 years will see massive investments in these areas and therefore strong long term fundamentals. All that being said, the truly best advice I can give you is to have a comprehensive financial plan, be diversified, stay invested and do not let emotions influence your decisions. I can guarantee you success if you are committed to those foundational elements.

• CODefender says:

Our infrastructure seems dated by Chinese standards simply because it was built between 1950 and 1970, when the Chinese were still propelled by oxcarts. Get a grip please. The infrastructure our parents built is aging, and breaking, because like you and me, it’s getting old, but it was built to last. China is new to this game, and rather than building their infrastructure to last, they’ve built it for expedience, so please get over your “China does it right” schtick. I’ll sacrifice taxes in lieu of liberty as long as I can keep my God-given right to free speech, warrantless searches, and arms and ammo every day over a street free of potholes. To hell with China. Jesus Saves!

• AncientChineseSecret says:

Is this type of antagonism really what the CTH posting board is all about? What part of my reply to another users question about investment opportunities was even remotely a “China does it right schtick”? Seriously bro, your hostility is best suited for the Yahoo message board not CTH. Ironically, your message precisely confirms my investment thesis. Our infrastructure is old like you and me and it IS indeed breaking down and in many cases broken. Money will be spent in an Eisenhower type manner or we will be left in a less than competitive state. So I guess I thank you for making my point however, you can take your lunacy somewhere else.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

I’ve traveled almost the entire US Interstate Highway system, most of it soon after it was built in the late 1950s/early 1960s. It has not seen a major upgrade nor substantial maintenance since then. And America’s bridges are a catastrophe.

I would be loath to recommend the Chinese version of maintenance, as both their material and workmanship is poor. They have deadlines with an emphasis on “dead” if they’re not met.

Infrastructure is like corporate “cost centers”, necessary but viewed as a burden. This mindset of roads, bridges, and other infrastructure being static and not needing maintenance needs to change.

I think that with a true BUILDER as President, it will.

And, btw, here in beautiful downtown Deutschland, Eisenhower’s inspiration for the Interstates, we’re facing the same problems. And our internet access is a mess, too.
          FTTH? For the most part, fuhgeddaboutit….

(Guess their taps don’t run that fast…)…

• WSB says:

Love your moniker! Used to have an office in HK!

• Jedi9 says:

I live and work in HK now and with the exception of Central, langui fang, and tsim Sha Sui, the place is over crawling with Aging high rises clumped together that make it look like a sh*t hole! There are some natural parts to HK I love to go to such as the mountainous regions where you can hike some pretty cool areas and see monkeys! Other than that, not much appeal for me while living in a crowded place where you have to fight through hoards of people just to walk down the street! America is still by far the best place for value and of higher living standards. People just don’t know how good they have it living in America when compared to crowed places like HK or Tokyo! Singapore where I spent the last five years working is probably the best in Asia to live. Still not crowed and the houses are very much sizable spacious but expensive as hell, but they have a higher quality living standard comparatively speaking. I am looking at a trip soon to New Zealand to assess working opportunities and living standards, and that should give me further insight what culture is like there on a daily basis, something I am looking forward to.

• WSB says:

Thanks for the update! Been so long…I can smell HK sidewalks as you describe it! Used to laugh about at the Luk Yu Tea House near the office. Stanley Bay and Repulse Bay, hopefully are still gems. Spent only one night at Raffles in Singapore but one instantly understands the difference in how managed that country is.

Spent a month in NZ. All beautiful! Auckland is great! Don’t dismiss the South Island or at least near the ferry to the South Island. Much prettier than the North Island, and if you can find yourself your own little trading pool…work for money…the South Island has much more to do in the off hours.

• Tegan says:

You haven’t seen intrastructure embarrassment until you drive on the southern S.C. roads. It’s like being in a third world country.

• A2 says:

Whenever I hear ‘money’ and ‘play’ used I think casinos and or Monopoly. The casino will give you free drinks and every once in a while Monopoly will give you either a ‘free pass go’ or a ‘get out of jail free card’ 😀

• MAB says:

If you’re looking for a couple of stocks, US Steel and Alcoa Aluminum might be pretty good in the short run, after the steel and aluminum tariffs are enacted. Buy before the tariffs, while they are lower. They should get pretty busy.

Otherwise, I’d almost advise options, because of the volatility. You can bet that a stock is moving up when the market is swinging up, then bet down when it’s on the downswing. Just have to watch things very closely if playing options.

• arizona1717 says:

buy boeing while it dipped…Micron is also looking great.

• Donna in Oregon says:

Yes, parachutes for big-shot executives in the Banking, Wall Street, and Mega Conglomerate Globalist enterprises all around the world.

We want them to contemplate death, but no one really wants them to die jumping out the windows of their high-rise Globalist buildings. It will be so much more appealing to watch them suffer the death of their dreams of world domination.

One particular dream deserves annilation….”Dreams of My Father”. Hopefully, that jerk is just crushed.

• Bigfoot says:

Alcoa, USX…

• Mike, there’s no such thing as a “play” in investing, you buy to make money, over time, not over a month. Period. Buy a major SP 500 etf with iShares, Vanguard, or I like RSP, which equally weights all 500 stocks, as opposed to the actual index, which is unequally weighted. Then hold it. Ignore everyone else, shorting, gold, etc, it’s all nonsense for losers, and 95% of ALL “players” lose. Always. Ive done this for a living for 40 years. Good luck to you!

• Carrie2 says:

Robert, every investment company like Vanguard, and 4 others, I lost money. Since I have been an investor with American Century (was 20th Century before), in KCMo, I have earned a lot and no losses, no load, easy to work with and located in my hometown of KCMo. They don’t do prime or hedge either where you can really get ruined.

2. fleporeblog says:

That was worth every minute to listen to! Our Wilburine defended our President and our country extremely well. You could tell that the Globalist and Multinationalist are scared to death. One thing that was clear as day to me is that our President and his killers have their eye on China 🇨🇳. The Wilburine shared some interesting facts.

China 🇨🇳 in one damn month produced more steel than the US did for the entire year in 2017. He also shared that there are countries in Asia that are selling steel that don’t have a single mechanism to actual produce steel. China 🇨🇳 is passing e their steel to these countries so that they can get around tariffs.

He also talked about how China 🇨🇳 wants to be the leader of technology production by 2025. They are stealing intellectual property from our companies that want access to their market.

Our President has made a decision about imposing tariffs on steel and aluminum. 25% on steel and 10% on aluminum with NO exceptions. At some point he will make a determination on the Intellectual Property dispute that our President opened last year. China 🇨🇳 is going to be in a world of hurt once those decisions are rendered.

I also learned a lot about how automotives is skewed completely against our country. The US only can enforce a 2.5% tariff according to the WTO on incoming automobiles 🚗 and parts. However, Europe can impose a 10% tariff while Japan 🇯🇵 and South Korea 🇰🇷 also have formidable tariffs (according to Wilburine) and China can impose a 25% tariff in the near future as they get rolling with their automotive sector.

Our politicians, both Republicans and Democrats had no problem giving away the entire store. The CoC is a complete POS organization that doesn’t care at all for our country. They payoff politicians at the expense of everyday Americans. I LOVE ❤ our President and his killers more after listening to that forum.

• WSB says:

We should walk out of the WTO.

• Pat Frederick says:

wow! i will own up to my own ignorance here with tariffs–but dang! they did give away the entire store. How can any American truly be okay with this? Thanks for the auto info!
      This site and it’s posters help me understand so many things and definitely allow me to argue my viewpoint more effectively!

• Carrie2 says:

Pat, you can be sure that Congress members on the whole got recompense for shafting America and still want to continue it, i.e., Paul Ryan. When we grew up there was fair trade so we can have it again and all benefit. You get what you pay for and we have been paying big money for lousy stuff. Made in USA will be back under Trump.

3. wheatietoo says:

“…We don’t intend to abrogate leadership, but leadership is different from being a sucker and being a patsy. We would like to be the leader in making the world trade system more fair and more equitable to all participants” Ross said.”

Yeah, see, that’s the thing…the rest of the world doesn’t want our trade policy to be ‘equitable’ to the US.
    They want to continue to skrew us over, on everything.

The whole world has been waging a Trade War against us…for decades.
    Pres Trump didn’t start this.
    He inherited it.

I am so sick of hearing people say “Trump is starting a trade war.”
    Some are even calling it “Trump’s trade war”.
    Uh, no…this trade war has been waging for a long time.
    Our politicians have just been standing by, letting us get creamed.

Pres Trump is simply fighting back, for us, in a trade war that was not of his making.

Thanks, Sundance…that’s another great twitter thread that you’ve done.
    Thank you, for all that you do.

• Sarah Palin says:

On this inherited “trade war,” the Trump Doctrine (to finally enforce rules and standards to level the playing field) proves the wisdom of private sector perspective brought to the White House.

On President Trump’s consistency on tariffs, today’s s’plodey heads sit atop career bureaucrats, globalists and typical politicians who’ve done nothing to fix trade imbalances… which pretty much says it all.

• wheatietoo says:

Exactly so, Gov Palin.

And the howler monkey pundits in the enemedia are doing the bidding of their globalist masters, howling about doom & gloom…and predicting Armageddon, again.

Where were they, when the DC weasels were selling out our country in these bad trade deals?
        As I recall…they were parroting the party line, telling us how great it was going to be.

• WSB says:

Thank you, Governor Palin.

And in watching the talking heads today, you would think the sky would be falling!

Everyone is so afraid of import tariffs, yet we can increase our own production in the US again.

Yes, while we all understand that our wages may be higher to make those same goods, we have sacrificed our own security, economy and quality for those illegal imports through the back door of Canada and Mexico.

Since the US has the largest amount of consumers, there is no reason we cannot sell to ourselves and export to other nations, not dissimilar to oil and gas.

• sat0422 says:

AH, you refer to the “do nothing” congress while the fat cats make millions and billions and make sure the “do nothing burgers” get their fair share for doing nothing. Yes.

• Exfiltration of Wealth says:

I love that Gov. Palin is a fellow treeper………..

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Alexander Hamilton is now backing Trump!

4. A2 says:

They have known this was coming since June of last year,
    “The plan was criticized in a WTO committee as early as June last year, and has caused an international outcry since Trump confirmed he intended to go ahead this week.”

I wonder if Germany will raise tariffs on Bourbon and Levi’s as a matter of ‘national security’. 😀

• WSB says:

• WSB says:

PS, I wish Navarro had said that to Chris Wallace today in his interview. No criticisms, as I would never have been that quick on my feet, but how blessed would that be. Chris Wallace was the rudest I have ever seen him. Disgusting.

Twitter warriors could post that to Chris Wallace’s Twitter account no matter what!!!!!!

• Carrie2 says:

A2, I prefer the bourbon made in the USA, thank you. Now good beer in Germany has a price that hardly anyone can afford, but we have a couple of good beer makers in CA thank God, and thanks to Costco a good assortment of all kinds of booze.

5. emet says:

In July 1789 Congress established the Customs Service. The idea was to collect tariffs and use them to pay off the war debt, build infrastructure (lighthouses for example), and protect and encorage US manufacturing. Hamilton set it up, and sent his instructions to the Collectors in “circulars”. Customs collected duties, navigation fees, tonnage tax etc. The system went as planned, and today we have the greatest nation in earth. So explsin why tariffs were a bad idea.

6. missilemom says:

Thanks Sundance for the reminder of Trump experts at Davos. Ross was a superstar on every panel. He must have been disgusted having to deal with Chuck Todd this morning trying to belittle him. Ross always handles his interviews stoically. I on the other hand are more of a Navarro slash and burn.
    I wonder if Wilbur Ross leaves these interviews feeling like I do that they are beneath him.
    Wilbur Ross is the epitome of keep it simple stupid.

7. NC Nana says:

I listened to the first few minutes of the video. Wilbur Ross is fabulous!!! God has blessed America with this leader.

I’ll have to finish viewing tomorrow. It is late here. SD thanks for posting.

• MVW says:

Wilbur Ross’ calm, real numbers level headed, to the point of being boring in delivering a guillotine stroke, puts chicken little, hair on fire Streptocacaus in the queue for idiocy ward.

Strep steps right on the bear traps until he has no legs, then puts his arms up to the shoulders. Will some friend, or enemy with pity tell him to stop before he puts his neck in too? Not even his mother?

8. SR says:

Why there is no tariff on service and IT industry which are running as offshore operations? We need to find some way to charge their hourly rate.

9. Monadnock says:

Wonder how long it’ll be until Union Pacific starts pulling locomotives out of storage…

I wager that would be a good sign relative to our coming economic boom…

We are gonna build stuff again – and it’s already happening…

10. A2 says:

Squealers going to squeal. It lasts for awhile, and we hear it only because of the loud hailer press, and politicians paid to set their hair on fire by their corporate owners. It reminds me of someone, who when faced with public tantrums, kept raising the wall by ten feet, and said you will pay for it.

11. Thanks for posting this video. I listened to it all, even though it is way past my bedtime. Really interesting to note Sec. Wilbur Ross’ explanation (what follows is my paraphrase – which could be erroneous), of how subsidized economy and a true market economy don’t mix. Banks, in the latter case, won’t lend a business if that business is not profitable. In a subsidized economy, the government steps in. So… how can fair trade happen between the two types of economies?
    … I love the way Ross explained it. …

12. Pointman says:

How to turn around a failing economy.

It’s appalling dealing with someone who’s doing exactly what he said he would. Perhaps if they all went back to the speeches he made in the primaries, and actually listened to what he was saying, they wouldn’t be so surprised.

13. Publius2016 says:

Fake News Media is doing its best to once again fool the American People…this time not gonna work! America First is more than a slogan…it’s a Declaration of Independence!

14. Bob Jacobs says:

“Was anyone paying attention in January”, no they were chasing Trumps laser pointer. LOL

15. jeans2nd says:

Has anyone mentioned the effect these trade tariffs will have on Pres Trump’s upcoming Infrastructure bill?
    Other than Sec Ross, that is

Combine the Infrastructure bill with the steel/aluminum tariffs, and throw in the EO requiring American materials to be used in gubmint projects, and one has a no-lose scenario.

No one can say they were not told.
    Ain’t it Great?

• simicharmed says:

Thank you for sharing, great interview! Wilbur Ross is truly a US treasure of information, experience and wisdom in these times..

16. Little Annie’s Fannie says:

In the end, NO ONE in the DC swamp can fathom a politician coming in and actually DOING what he/she campaigned on. Nor can they fathom a politician NOT on the take. That is soooo extremely rare in DC. As Gov. Pain said, the splodey heads just cannot deal with it. Well get over it cupcakes (or marshmallows, which would be more appropriate) because America has left the road to socialism/communism and we’re back on the road to greatness.
    While the swamp uses deceit and lies, our Lion says what he means, means what he says and gets the job done! The rest of you scampers have two choices, get on board the Trump Train or go look for a Kool-Aid stand!

17. thedoc00 says:

Nobody connects China to the cheap imports coming to the US via China and Canada. They are still showing the same discredited charts, which indicate only China deserves direct action.

They still do not acknowledge that China is NOT a democracy and is a command economy, where the economy is a weapon and not there for the benefit of its people. The still do not recognize that governments around the word have used the last 20-30 years to build trade barriers to protect their workers and strategically critical industries. None of them recognize the LONG TERM cost of not regaining control over key raw material manufacturing, as those overseas suppliers RAISE their prices on our imports and US has ZERO response because the cost and barriers to restart our raw materials manufacturing would be prohibitive. Just like all US business outlooks, the time horizon is less that 6 months from today.

18. Chris Wallace on #FakeNews Sunday stated, “Here are the countries that we import steel from. Canada is number one with 16 percent of the market.”
    And where does Canada get its steel? Wallace needs a Sundance lesson.

19. georgiafl says:

20. georgiafl says:

And another:

21. thedoc00 says:

Something to keep in mind while Wall Street goes nuts, along with the majority of their followers in the business news reporting industry, allot of major US financiers have a business plan horizon that is no more than 6 months from today or shorter. That is what makes algorithmic trading companies so popular, because the math can be set up to act according to those horizons. Also, the Wall Street Financier class is driven by bottom line with ZERO concern about how money is generated. That in fact is the blind spot of all politicians on both sides of the aisle, they look at bottom line numbers and never the composition or process to get to the answers in any topic you can name…from healthcare, to home loans, to jobs, to economic factors, etc..

That is why having real business people, with long term vision, driving national economic policy that impact citizens is superior to have economists driving the train. An economist has absolutely NO idea how to adjust the detailed mechanics impacting business creation and adjusting economic environmental factors driving performance metrics impacting the people and nation whom the government represent.

• thedoc00 says:

Plus, the political class in congress have to safeguard their illegal insider trader gains and kick-back political donations from the lobbyists.

• G. Combs says:

Do you REALLY want an academic with a PhD building your house???

• thedoc00 says:

Sadly, that had been the case under two Bush Administrations as well as the Clinton and Obama Administrations. That is exactly my point. One would be hard pressed to name any current economist who has had one of their theoretical set of pronouncements actually succeed if even tried.

22. Bob Thoms says:

Let’s not forget =

Throw in “Hire Americans” in addition to build it with US Steel. No more foreign born workers in America.

23. Jack Rail says:

Was anyone paying attention? Of course not. Nobody at Davos pays attention to anybody else at Davos. For old hands it’s a great big party, hot chicks, booze, maybe some skiing.

24. yy4u says:

What I know about economics, trade wars, tariffs couldn’t fill a thimble. But here’s what I do know. What we’ve been doing since NAFTA and/or “free trade” has resulted in a dreadful trade imbalance where we’ve shipped jobs and our cash overseas (including to Canada and Mexico), watched our elite become unfathomably wealthy (Zuckerberg, Apple, Bezos, Gates) while our working class lost their jobs and their hope and in most cases their future. I’m ready to try something new. So far as Mutti and May, their governance has to have set women back 100 years. They’re certainly not Thatcher and Meir! So far as Europe goes, I don’t want a trade war with Europe, but I suspect if we have one, Trump will turn out to be right. They need us a lot more than we need them. Europe has taken a free ride at the expense of ordinary Americans for long enough. We saved their posteriors in World War I, World War II, rebuilt their nations in the aftermath of WWII, protected them during the Cold War and now it’s time we looked after our own.

25. G. Combs says:

To the headless chickens running around on TV screaming about a trade war —

The USA can slam the door shut and pull up the draw bridge, kick out the NON-Citizens and be perfectly OK. We can grow ALL the food we need and can mine all the raw materials we need.

The rest of the world NEEDS US and not the reverse.

Agricultural products:
    U.S. exports account for about 40 percent of world corn trade.

Nearly 50% of the U.S. rice crop is exported to over 120 countries worldwide. United States is the only major exporter that allows rough-rice exports. The USA is #3 in rice exports:
    India: US$5.3 billion (26.7% of total rice exports)
    Thailand: $4.4 billion (21.9%)
    United States: $1.9 billion (9.6%)

The USA is #3 in Soybean exports
    1 Argentina 28,650.00
    2 Brazil 13,600.00
    3 United States 9,253.0

Although the United States produces only about 8 percent of world wheat (2006-2015 average), it continues to be one of the world’s biggest wheat exporters.

The U.S. is the largest producer, the largest consumer, the third-largest exporter of beef.

“Exports account for a large share of the total volume of U.S. production for select agricultural products. For example, over 70 percent of the volume of U.S. production of tree nuts (largely almonds) and cotton were exported in 2011-13, as was more than 50 percent of rice and wheat production. “

26. thedoc00 says:

There one major assumption made by all the Nay Sayers speaking against tariffs is that the US consumer would NOT adjust their buying habits to find something cheaper or of equal cost but better quality should tariffs alter increase the cost of good or service impacted. They assume consumers and retailers would continue blindly and NOT change to match the changed cost structure of products. This is assumption needs to be discussed by both sides, because the US is a consumer driven economy, where behavior of the consumer is key to the financial success of a business. I have a gut feeling that if US goods suddenly became cost competitive, consumer sentiment would shift as well. In addition, the real term for the emerging phenomenon in the US market would be more akin to a price war. An interesting aspect about price wars not often discussed is that domestic prices in the home country of a non-US industry often drift higher to compensate for export prices…so the rate and size of tariff increase on imported US products may actually favor US goods. Again, the US consumer is responsible for over 40% of sales internationally by businesses, which is allot of leverage for Trump is trade discussions. Plus, as the US skilled work force grows along with wages, that 40% actually increases.

27. jameswlee2014 says:

Applying the brakes to the ‘slow motion surrender machine’ makes the weak uncomfortable. These are people who believe that the very notion of “winning” is inherently evil. We are the strongest nation militarily by far. Our economy is just less than twice the size of #2, China. We are the leading producer of petroleum and natural gas. If we wanted to, we could out produce China in coal.

We can eliminate both Iran and North Korea as threats to the US in the morning with conventional weapons. No one is going to start a trade war or any other kind of war against the US while Trump and the Trump Republicans are in charge.