NAFTA Day #1 Recap…

Based entirely on what can be pulled from Government Accounts and media interviews of the participants involved in NAFTA negotiations, I’m going to try and summarize each day as it can be determined through those sources.

Additionally, for those who might be interested in a perspective I’m going to give a rating of my confidence that a tri-national agreement is possible.

On a scale of zero to 10 – where zero is NAFTA will dissolve and parties will be at irreconcilable differences, and 10 is confidence an agreement will be reached, at the end of Day #1, today, I’d asses the likelihood of an agreement at “3”.

Outlook not too good.

Canada, as expressed by foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland, appears determined to use NAFTA as a tool for Justin Trudeau’s social justice endeavors.  Gay rights, transgender rights, cultural sensitivity and climate change are at the very top of their priority list.  Further down the scale are rules on conflict resolution, and rules of origin.

Mexico’s position appears to be a ‘unity move‘ to align with Canada on mutual ideology in an effort to leverage the “status quo”; also the default position of Canada.  Mexican trade officials are exceptionally complimentary toward Canada’s Chrystia Freeland and openly divisive toward U.S.T.R. Robert Lighthizer.

Given the history here, Mexico appears to have no intention on complying with a trade agreement even if one is determined.  Mexico appears intent to simply factor the cost of compliance litigation into their economic and manufacturing equations. Go figure.

Combined Mexico and Canada are putting up a united front, and the U.S. trade team is presenting optical and verbal cues akin to ‘eye-rolls‘.

It would appear Canada and Mexico also understand the U.S./Trump no-lose position is to scrap the deal; and so CanaMex are leveraging themselves politically to try and force responsibility for fracture and failure onto Team U.S.A.

[NOTE: The full pdf of USTR Lighthizer’s goals is included at the bottom.]

The first round (of six) negotiations are scheduled to last 5 days, ending Sunday.

However, if day 2 through 4 are anything like Day #1, I wouldn’t bet on seeing round #2.

♦One of the more germane points of difference, something that actually has to do with trade, encompasses the “rules of origin” specifically within the Auto sector.

Currently, China ships a massive amount of Chinese manufactured component parts into both Canada and Mexico.  Those parts are then assembled and shipped into the U.S.  This process subverts the intent of NAFTA in that the agreement for manufacturing is supposed to encompass products actually manufactured within North America; as in manufactured within Canada, Mexico and The U.S.

The entire premise for “free trade” among the three North American nations is that products generated by, and manufactured by, the NAFTA partners would be “duty free”.

China has essentially subverted U.S. trade tariffs within the Auto Sector by using Mexico (mainly) as a destination for auto parts that are then merely assembled and shipped into the U.S. “duty free”.   If the end product came from China directly they would have to potentially pay an import tax as part of the U.S. China trade agreement.

Inside Canada and Mexico the assembly of Chinese parts to deliver a finished ‘end product’ destined to the U.S. market is a sector of their jobs and economy they wish to retain.  The U.S. is seeking to close the “rules of origin” loophole to ensure that only products actually manufactured within Mexico and Canada are part of the process.

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, and team, has a goal to end this “3rd party (China) dumping” of goods via this backdoor exploitation.  Canada and Mexico obviously want to retain it.

The current “rules of origin” are generally being discussed around the “Auto Sector”, but the same basic premise pertains to other products.  China can ship unassembled appliances into Mexico and Canada, or furniture etc., and gain the same NAFTA benefit with the Northern and Southern U.S. neighbors simply doing the assembly work.

In these examples Mexico and Canada workers benefit from the jobs, but there’s no economic value within the United States.  The U.S. looses the tariff, or duties, and U.S. businesses, both in parts and complete finished goods, are undercut and subsequently lose the manufacturing jobs to either China, Mexico or Canada.

Therefore the “rules of origin” specify how much of a finished product must be made entirely in North America in order to qualify for NAFTA “free trade”.

(Via CNBC) Without rules of origin, non-member countries [China] can skirt around tariffs and other trade barriers by exporting goods through the lowest-tariff member country [Canada or Mexico] and into the other member nations [U.S.A.].

To avoid this form of arbitrage, origin rules establish that at least a fraction of goods covered by a free trade agreement have to be produced within the NAFTA region.

Among the administration’s goals is to “update and strengthen the rules of origin, as necessary, to ensure that the benefits of NAFTA go to products genuinely made in the United States and North America.”

Adjusting rules of origin holds particular significance for the auto industry. Currently, 62.5 percent of a vehicle’s content must be made within the NAFTA region to avoid tariffs. (link)

This entry was posted in Canada, Mexico, NAFTA, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

241 Responses to NAFTA Day #1 Recap…

1. sundance says:

• My husband and I were discussing the trade deals at the dinner table with my 12 year old grandson who is visiting us.

We were discussing Canada’s statements and want’s etc.

Our grandson looked up and said, ” It sounds like Canada has sent a bunch of four year old’s to this negotiation”.

So yes sundance there are a lot of interested people who are paying attention to the NAFTA negotiations.

And a lot of them can understand more than we think they can.

• Stringy Theory says:

That’s a smart grandson. You should be very proud of him.

• Thanks, that is nice of you to say so.

We were surprised at his comment because we did not think he was paying attention.

You know how kids are.

They sit there looking bored to death and then they surprise you.

• daughnworks247 says:

My son, at about age 12, “Come on Mom, by the time I was 10, I could figure out who was lying.”
            In our mind’s eye, for a flash, we can see our children at age 40. They are so much smarter than we think they are.
            Bravo to your family!!!!

• Dixie says:

And Bravo to yours!

Maybe it’s because my days are so full of care giving, but I find it hard to not only keep up and read everything our intelligent host provides, but it’s also difficult to fully understand. It’s nice to know that a grandson (above) and a 12 years old is smarter than I am. It’s also humiliating. 🙂

But they’re our future leaders! So it’s all okay……

• Thanks daughnworks247 you are so right.

It was my grand son but it is the same thing.

And than heavens they are!

• Esperanza says:

Often 12 is precisely the age you can’t bullshit.

• Fe says:

I happen to have a 12 year old granddaughter, she’s whip smart. She takes things in and likes to quietly analyze. But I will tell you that the smartest granddaughter I have is the 6-1/2 year old…my son has taught her how to negotiate deals, I kid you not. 😂 She should be on the NAFTA team.

• The dinner table is/was an excellent educational forum that children would unknowingly learn many useful things.

• magagirl says:

I was just talking to a friend that moved to The Check Republic. She was telling me that the Checks don’t eat diner together. She told me that during the years of communism the Goverment took everything from them, but still couldn’t break the Check people. Finally they decided to take their dining tables (diabolic), and it just went down after that.

• Ploni says:

Six o’clock family dinner.

Sunday through Thursday.

No excuses for non-attendance accepted.

NONE!

Teenagers especially.

No electronics at the table.

This is the backbone of the family . . .

. . . and by extension, our communities and our nation.

• Bendix says:

IMO, adolescents need attention from their parents, more than ever before in their lives.
            They may THINK they don’t want it, but they get your attention one way or another.

• WSB says:

Good for you! Franklin Roosevelt’s mother would hold dinner every night promptly. If you were late, the doors would be locked and you didn’t eat.

Stiff but then again, I bet tardiness did not happen very much.

• Yes it is laurainnevada.

We started the discussion by trying to teach him a little about trade by using cars as an example.

He is always thinking about cars now days so we got him interested in the subject by telling him how China would ship their parts to Mexico.

Then the parts would be assembled into the cars in plant in Mexico.

China could get around the NAFTA requirements.

He loves to talk about cars so he listened.

• Jedi9 says:

Thank you for this! I am hoping for the entire NAFTA deal to be disbanded altogether. No sense in prolonging the inevitable! The sooner the better!

• Sylvia Avery says:

TY for posting. Interesting!!!

• MouseChop says:

These results are a beautiful! This is a great confirmation of our prayers being answered. For Gods children to wake up and snap to attention. We are on the wrong path and heading to hell. Praise you Father God for hearing our cries for help.

I followed a person here to CTH about 4 years ago who went by the handle Copacetic1.
      Just looked up the definition of Copacetic and there were 3 words: In excellent order.
      My belief is there are no coincidences and everything is by design.Father God is my designer. I haven’t seen that handle Copacetic1 other than the day they introduced me to CTH and my fellow treepers.

Sundance, your CTH is in excellent order and I am very thankful for the wealth of knowledge I’ve gained from you and my fellow treepers. It’s been placed upon my heart to make CTH a part of my tithing. Many thanks and God’s blessing on all.

• reenahovermale says:

I too followed someone here with coincidences and ‘funny that’ things to help it along the way…and stayed.

• kp3ace says:

I came to this website by mistake. I’m so glad that I made that mistake.

• jonvil says:

Just a few days after Trump announced someone somewhere posted a link to CTH. I am very leery of links to unknown websites but I took the chance and am I glad I did – saying it is my #1 website doesn’t do it justice!!!

• gawntrail says:

Same thing for me. Kept seeing the ‘treehouse’ reference and finally found this place. Sundance’s explanations of the ‘uniparty’ and Main Street economics hooked me. CTH is a daily read now. Love the succinctness of the prose here… both the articles and the comments.

• indiamaria2020 says:

Indeed. And thank you for being a “Vox Clamantis en Deserto” on NAFTA. Seems like everyone else is focused on gossip about Leftists waving Leftist banners and chanting Leftist tripe. The REAL news is NAFTA.

• Sundance: Other than your misspelling of “assess” as “asses”(which fit the Mexican and Canadian trade teams perfectly), it was a great analysis. Thank you.

• jdondet says:

Sundance, you and the people at the “Treehouse” seem to be the only people willing to write about this. This trade issue was one of the key things that Trump was elected for. Everyone else is still all in with playing around with that mess down in Virginia.

• Assess. But part of me thinks you still meant Asses. 🙂

2. Doug says:

basically they should start with rules of origin and discuss nothing else.. if canada and mexico wont scrap this and abide by the rules then cancel nafta altogether.. nothing else matters if they cant agree on that

• Doug says:

i honestly have no faith in trade deals like nafta and think the trump administration is playing along here but has no intentions to maintain nafta. bi lateral trade deals are the only way to go. NAFTA was structured so that two weaker nations could take advantage of the more powerful. two wolves and sheep voting on whats for dinner

• Lack is not all says:

I agree. From my point of view NAFTA is dead. Trump said it in so many ways before and after the elections. He is just looking for the excuse. The silly woman from Canada almost gave it to him right away. Mexicanos were cleverer.

• piper567 says:

I do not believe Trump is looking for an excuse.
          What he said during The Campaign was: If we cannot arrive at an agreement with Canada and Mexico that is fair to the USA, I will walk away…or words to that effect.
          In these negotiations, we are all able to see whether or not these Countries are willing to engage in fair trade with USA. Pay attention to reliable interpretations, usually found here on the CTH.
          Given the summary-to-date offered by sundance, above, it appears as if Canada wants to talk on pc talking points, and Mexico wants to continue in their time tested ways.
          It would seem to me that we should prepare for the barrage of negativity which will predictably emanate from everywhere when, if events continue as they are, Trump does in fact walk away.
          A good time to dismiss the msm…these folk do not even grasp the basics of a Trade Agreement….which will not prevent their elementary grade talk-talk on the subject.

• Maquis says:

PDJT surely is sincere when he extends an open hand to his neighbors, even though he knows they will likely bite it.

Their loss.

• Bendix says:

One could forgive them their ignorance, as this stuff is rather complex, except that they don’t mind doing “in depth” investigative reporting on issues such as the growing divide between the poor, working, and even middle class, and the very wealthy. How do you do “in-depth” reporting without coming to the realization of what these one-sided trade deals are doing to America?

• jonvil says:

I prefer two parasites and the host 🙂

• Doug says:

i was using the voting analogy because of a specific rule in nafta that allows the mexicans and canadians to gang up on the us… that part of treaty wasnt by accident but was by design

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Agreed. Because I agree with Bannon – this is ALL about China. Smash the octopus tentacles wherever they are found. One in Mexico, one in Canada, chop-chop-chop and time for sushi.

Unless every last bit of ChiCom sneakery is removed from NAFTA, kill it DEAD.

• Betty says:

I can’t believe Canada and Mexico would go along with China to cheat America, their trading partner. They are not honorable, and they should be ashamed of themselves, what have we ever done to them?

I think of that Paris agreement and wonder is everything about screwing the American people?

• Maquis says:

Everything is about grinding down resistance to Globalist rule.

As the World’s premier innovators in the field of Liberty, currently rediscovering our values and regaining our pride, we are the most uncooperative cog in that machine.

Kill NAFTA. Ingrates.

• Christopher Johnson says:

And what really pisses them off is that we aren’t even an uncooperative cog, we’re an uncooperative plug-in device that is critical to the operation of their machine, but which can actually operate independently from the rest of the system for as long as it needs to.

Close the borders to all immigrants and trade and even tourists and while it would take some adjustment on our end the US could pretty easily survive without the rest of the world.

The rest of the world, particularly the globalists, can’t survive well without us.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

I really hear you, and I would say it’s different for the two cases.

Canada’s liberals have gone REALLY liberal – basically French socialist. Almost nuts. They are totally bought into globalism, and because of that, they actually act like they have ownership over what goes on in America. This is why their trolls are so active against and “concerned” about Trump. They are 100% bought into cultural Marxism, Hollywood icons, climate change hypnosis, etc. So THAT is where China owns them – to say nothing of flooding them with literally millions of new Canadians including thousands of spies. THAT really influences mindshare. They are with China, period, and only their conservatives have a clue how bad it is.

Mexico – they are just fighting death as a failed state. I am sure that China is helping KEEP it approaching failure, by empowering the cartels, undermining law and order and the government, etc., all the while looking like it’s helping – cuz THAT is China. And Mexico is going to become more and more of a problem, as it becomes a proxy for China. Just sayin’. That will need some fixing, but nothing that a free America can’t nip in the bud, and embarrass the h377 out of the ChiComs at the same time.

So that explains where they’re coming from. They are basically hitting US up for the money to pay off drugs for THEIR China habits. Canada addicted to socialism, Mexico addicted to corruption.

They need TOUGH LOVE.

• Better believe it, Betty…..There are really people out there who will look a gift horse in the mouth. Thank God that my country is finally getting it…..

• Aguila2011 says:

For decades it has been a welfare program for the world at the expense of the US taxpayer. Our politicians have been giving away the store, for a small fee of course! And now that a new CEO is in town who can read the books and actually cares how things balance, they don’t like the direction he is taking to fix things. No More Free Lunch!

• Sylvia Avery says:

It is hard to believe, isn’t it? And actually at the bottom of it is redistributing American wealth globally.

How many articles have I read over the last 10-15 years about how even the poorest Americans have several TV sets, and air conditioners, and decent clothing and food. Unlike the poor people of ______________ (insert random third world hell hole here) who are struggling for clean water and food and mosquito nets. And yet, ungrateful spoiled Americans whine and snivel about poverty.

Someone cooked up a solution. Fleece the Americans and redistribute their wealth. But in the best totalitarian tradition, the deciders at the top get richly compensated before the rest is shared.

• Frankly Ben says:

Sadly, I think you’ve nailed it. But Trump to our rescue. Like an experienced surgeon he’s stopping the bleeding vein by vein.

If we remain patient the US patient will be healed, the economy will roar, jobs and incomes will take off – and the anti-capitalists (the real enemy) will slither back into their serpentine caves to await the next dark period when they can again expose their poisonous fangs.

• Bendix says:

I think that’s what the ever more rigid PC rules were about.
          As Rush Limbaugh has put it, people have been conditioned to believe America is prosperous because other countries aren’t.
          These PC religionists have been indoctrinated to believe we owe other countries something. Mexico is one of the places the PC religion deems sacred.

• railer says:

Hey, if Congress can screw the American people, why shouldn’t Canada and Mexico? I blame the Swamp for this. Drain it.

• WSB says:

Jealousy…they are jealous that our system encourages free thinking. Can you imagine what these countires could do on their own rather than just stealing from the free thinkers.

• Well said and I will be headed to Publix this morning for some sushi from the friendly Japanese couple running the sushi counter. (Thursday is new sale ad day!)

• Bree says:

True. I don’t think president Trump will allow China to have that backdoor through Mexico and Canada. I’m confident we will prevail in our own interests.

• carrierh says:

Having lived in Mexico and worked there, the quality of Mexican labor is paltry that even Mexicans don’t like their own products. Since I worked for Mexican companies, this was a continuing problem. My thought is this: NAFTA says ORIGIN and obviously both the other 2 countries don’t like that and by allowing foreign parts to come just to be put stuff together is an obvious breaking of the NAFTA agreement, which means it has no value at all. I think we in America are tired of being kicked from behind and then told we are the problem. WRONG! Trudeau has ruined Canada and many Canadians are not happy, and Mexico has always treated laborers as peons. We didn’t want the Paris garbage and looks like NAFTA isn’t going to make it either. Trump knows how to deal, but these two bloodsucking countries obviously don’t want to agree to being real parties to the agreement, but actually since the agreement/contract has been broken, there is no real NAFTA at all. Let them find other outlets for their products. We want quality, not quantity and poor work. Again, China has to be curtailed and know their glory days of avoiding import taxes are long gone. This means, however, that some of the items from either we will have to make on our own or pay more to obtain them. Frankly, best pay a little more and not accept low quality non-origin products but we will be purchasing much less so the two countries won’t have won much.

• Maquis says:

We’ll get through the shift, and come out far stronger on the other side. An America that doesn’t need the World is an America the World can’t do without. We are of use to no one as a non-self-sufficient economic cripple riddled with parasites.

Let the Titans of Mercantilism invest their Billions in American Factories and become Titans of American Industry. Let Americans innovate, create, and stun the World with what we can do. Again.

MAGA

• Aguila2011 says:

I agree Carrie. Just like our past attempts to plant democracy in foreign lands, US manufacturing does not change mindsets on personal definitions of quality or what locals can afford. I live in a “developing” country and can vouch that the basic mindset of most things equates to what we used to call “good enough for government work,” but the truth is local expectations are even worse than that. US companies, foreign companies who use off-shore labor somehow relinquish control for quality and actually allow materials to be substituted. Local managements find ways to increase profits by using cheaper materials while still making products that “look” like the US product but in reality are inferior. I blame the US companies who go cheap and do not do proper inspecting of materials, processes and finished goods before accepting delivery. The foreign mindset is “half-ass” and is not acceptable in the US, however, that is changing rapidly as the younger generation seems to reject anything and everything from the past. They will live to regret their short sightedness.

• xyzlatin says:

Very true in the area of electric light fixtures. I have found that the plastic crumbles within a few years and lights fall out of the ceiling. They used to last for 50 years. I wonder how many house fires are caused by Chinese made toasters too.

• Ploni says:

I bought a Homedics shiatsu back massager for $100 at Walmart several years ago and used it just about every day.

Loved it. After six years, the cord wore out and Homedics sent me a new one. Fantastic.

Two years later, it stopped working. I went online to electronics forums to see if I could fix it. The moderator informed me that those Chinese-made units are known to include inferior electronic relays.

Nothing reasonable can be done to replace them.

So the question is:

Does China manufacture inexpensive products that make our lives better . . .

. . . or do they, in fact, manufacture expensive garbage?

(HINT: Take an extensive tour of your community’s rubbish piles.)

• Will Janoschka says:

“We want quality, not quantity and poor work.”
        So true, long ago America became America because of immigrants from everywhere were willing to display both skill and integrity\pride in that skill for a mere chance at comfort for loved ones. That is what made America great!
        Now MAGA is in the same manner. No need for illegal foreign mercenary invaders, looking for DNC handouts for votes.
        I’ve seen folk from Mexico that can pick strawberries at phenomenal speed to provide for their families. This is much more needed for MAGA than any or all of UC Berkely useless PHDs.

• trialbytruth says:

I suspect appliance repair will reemerge as a viable business again.

• trialbytruth says:

I suspect appliance repair will reemerge as a viable business again.

3. SharonKinDC says:

This is a big deal… UniParty, Mex, Cn, China all unhappy w/ the prospect that our ‘killers’ appointed by PTrump will be successful. I love it! #MAGA

4. WonkoTheSane says:

There will be a giant unsucking sound of jobs coming back into the USA.

5. MAGADJT says:

America is finally confronting and standing up to those who have abused our economic interests in favor of their own. They have been able to mitigate the consequences of their socialism and corruption with our capital. Of course they will go to the mat to keep that gravy train from coming to a halt. In the case of Mexico, they have the same natural resources we do, they have a dream tourism set up, and they have imported our manufacturing jobs for the past 25 years. Yet their economy is still not strong enough to sustain the population or improve their citizens’ standard of living. We gave them an opportunity and they haven’t taken advantage. Their citizens will have to require governmental reform from here on, they can’t keep using our resources as a crutch to prop themselves up.

• Lack is not all says:

When water gets to their neck they might start swimming. Too much corruption in Mexico.

• Aguila2011 says:

Before we label any country corrupt, I encourage people to consider how “institutionalized” US corruption is. The laws of the land, the legislature, the judiciary, the financial system and big business are set up with protections that would make organized crime green with envy.
        I tell people from foreign lands known as “corrupt” that the US had a head start and has institutionalized it. If anything, they have learned about corruption from the US, hence the spread of lawyers and laws infringing on the rights of people around the world.

• Maquis says:

Oh, I see far more corruption here than I can tolerate. Makes me shudder. I do believe America is waking up, slowly, and hope she can avoid the destruction that comes when the blessed forget the source of those blessings and turn away from Righteousness.

• woodstuff says:

“when the blessed forget the source of those blessings and turn away from Righteousness”.

This is the key to our problems, and not only for politicians, corporations and lawyers.

• jonvil says:

The one constant throughout history is human corruption, it did NOT originate in America.

• Bendix says:

This certainly didn’t:
            We have nothing like this level of corruption here.

• Aguila2011 says:

Uh, Bendix. I guess you don’t know the difference between murder/crime and corruption. While both are evil, murder on a large scale with no justice is heinous. We can look at Hillary for her “obvious” crimes but the “corrupt” system protected her. But she is by no means the only one doing evil deeds against her own people for personal gain and for her friends, but being protected by the system because many of her friends (long time) are the law makers who have crafted the rules of the game. And those rules are very different than the ones you and I are expected to play by every day.

And I believe there is a special place in hell for her, Bill and their friends who used the Haitian disaster to fill their pockets with global relief funds. I don’t know if you are a Hillary supporter but if you have read the reports of this type of atrocity, they are not only stealing from those who would help the needy but also kicking the needy when they are down and need help the most and have lost everything and cannot depend on their own corrupt government to do anything for them. I pick on Hillary because she is an easy target. But the swamp is full of such creatures. Globalists are such creatures. And believe me, they have no qualms about kicking you or me and couldn’t give a rat’s behind about our situation.

• Aguila2011 says:

Very true but being king of the economic hill today does not give anyone the right to call others “corrupt.” Not until you’ve taken a good look in the mirror first.

• carrierh says:

MAGA, Mexico has many mineral riches, etc., but the rich are soooo corrupt any money goes to them and not the population. Buildings in need of care are falling apart. And with all the problems and cartels there, I will not return to be possibly killed as many have been killed in tourist resorts. In many ways both countries are shooting themselves in the foot thinking they are strong and can carry America back to supporting them. Ain’t gonna happen with Trump.

• Maquis says:

We will need that Wall more than ever soon.

If Mexico balks at paying for it we might remind them that if they allow themselves to become a Failed State The Wall will be necessary to protect Mexico FROM US.

We can’t let them willfully and childishly steer themselves directly towards Hell and expect us to come along for the ride.

CH, do you have any ideas about why the Latin cultures seem so prone to corruption? They can’t even offer the World a decent Pope.

• Kroesus says:

it has to do with Iberian cultural historical tendencies……look at all the countries colonized by Spain and Portugal today….every one of them is corrupt to some extent…while those colonized by France and England have individual property rights and universal rights given to the common citizen.

• Aguila2011 says:

I would agree with you in regards to England but France??? Look at some of the worst hell holes and problems we face today and they are ex-French colonies.

• bentley1blog says:

Recently visited Provenance and believe me, those with whom I spoke, are not happy campers due to the corruption that has taken over their country. They are much like us, hard working, honest and love France. Their hands are tied due to not being heard and are the silent majority with very sad hearts. Socialism took over their land and they are suffering because of this atrocity. City of lights…not, more country of tears.

• eagle931 says:

Reply to To Maquis:
          It has to do with the premise by which Spain set up its colonies in Latin America. Spain established an administrative state designed exclusively to extract natural resources for the benefit of the Spanish Purse, nothing else. Such a policy created an autocratic system of bureaucracy where the State, and those in it, were its main beneficiaries. This legacy lives to this day, and it is reflected in the level of state corruption that permeates it; that is why the political culture of Latin America is such a mess.

• Bendix says:

IMO, our weak border is a safety valve for the corrupt, it affords the Mexican government the space they need to keep kicking the corruption can down the road.
        If all the Mexican nationals living here and freeloading, working and sending money back, or engaging in criminal enterprises were there instead of here, things would have had to change by now.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Just wait until we get that WALL up across the southern border and send the illegal aliens back over that beautiful Trump WALL, then Mexico will be dealing with their own big ugly swamp that can only be drained by them.

Adios! and don’t come back.

• georgiafl says:

Cuba is another leech on the US economy despite sanctions.

Thanks to Cruz, Rubio and other RINOs, we have Cubans coming to the US, getting benefits, but living part or even most of the time in Cuba. Or they take American jobs, but send the money home to Cuba. Last year, thousands of Cubans were pouring over the Southern Border.

Deal paves way for thousands of Cuban immigrants heading to U.S.

U.S. welfare money flows to Cuba supporting Castro’s failed socialist state – “They’re taking benefits from the American taxpayer to subsidize their life in another country.”

DRUDGE HEADLINE 1/26/15 – THOUSANDS of Cubans crossing border.

Cubans retire to Florida – with help from U.S. taxpayers

• georgiafl says:

Last year during the early campaign, I was out working in my yard and had a conversation with a nice couple out for a walk. They were from Cuba and he told me they were related to Ted Cruz.

That is interesting, since the Cruzes had been in Canada many years before coming to America over thirty years ago.

Wonder how many Cruz and Rubio cousins have come to the US with these special deals?

Last time I walked on their street, I noticed heir house is up for sale.

• bentley1blog says:

Can’t forget the statements from Rubio. How many times did he boast of his father being a bartender at the rear of the banquet hall. Instead of being grateful and blessed to be in America he implied it was disgraceful to be a banquet bartender. I was a mother of 3, divorced, worked as a secretary during the week then on weekends worked as a banquet bartender and was thrilled to earn the extra $$. Guess these lawbreakers think they are entitled to an executive position the minute they place a foot onto our land. My blood boils at the audacity of uneducated people thinking we owe them the best that America has to offer.

• reenahovermale says:

In my husband’s line of work around ten years ago, many ‘refugees’ over the years had been offered an inordinate amount of jobs and were given preferential hiring status – the line being that Catholic charities was working with the HR department closely and these poor people were desperate and needing help, having come from terrible places and situations. Almost to a man/woman, all of these refugees took leave of absences to go back ‘home’ (to the same places they were supposedly running from), for 1-2 months every year, while the working class citizens here couldn’t get 2 days back-to-back off for ‘job necessity’ issues. These refugees were from the ME, Cuba, Somalia, and Bosnia, btw. All with a ‘tude and having no desire to learn English, demanding translators be provided, and all sorts of special privileges, the rest of the workers didn’t qualify for, nor get.

• Maquis says:

Grrrr, that really chaps my hide!

Gettemout!

• Bendix says:

The last time one of my relatives was in Florida, about a year ago, he couldn’t help but notice the sort of homes and material goods he saw large numbers of recent arrivals in possession of.
          Things that Americans who work their butts off can barely afford.

• reenahovermale says:

I believe I read an article here not so long ago about Cold Anger and the brand new SUV drivers with their welfare cards and dirty look brigade. The temperature of tolerance of this is definitely dipping. Dipping hard.

• NJ Transplant says:

reena – the Somalians here in Maine complained that they couldn’t renew their taxi licenses in person because they go back to Somalia for 6 months out of every year. Of course, Maine changed the law and they are allowed to mail in the renewals. They are on full government benefits, of course. They can’t support all their kids driving a cab.

• reenahovermale says:

It’s maddening that our legislators are promoting this. It was a Somali that sued a company around here years ago, (and won), when he pointed out during Ramadan when all of his fellow countrymen wanted the same set of days off. Would have been nearly an entire shift of people. They didn’t care about business needs, neither did the company. They just paid him off and went on and sent out a letter about tolerance, dignity, diversity, and general like-it-or-lump-it and handed him his job back.

• louche9 says:

Actually, Mexico CAN sustain their population; they just don’t want to. It’s been far easier to hold up a Norte arrow placard.

6. MaineCoon says:

“Mexico appear intent to simply factor the cost of compliance litigation into their economic and manufacturing equations. Go figure.”

Compliance litigation = Mexico’s pay-to-play

• Paco Loco says:

In Mexico the “pay off” or bribe is called the mordida… “the bite”. The ‘Mexicans are experts at financial subterfuge and making money that disappears with no tax paid.

7. evergreen says:

If a widget maker in the U.S. has to comply with DOL, OSHA, EPA, DHS, etc., its costs will be higher than the offshore manufacturer which does not have to comply. All other things equal, the U.S. based company loses to the offshore company. The overhead created by DOL, OSHA, et al, is the cost of our first world standard of living. We vote for it; we choose it. If anyone wishes to access this market, he must contribute to the overhead to maintain this standard.

The “all else above equal” caveat also happens not to be true. Labor costs are lower offshore due to the comparative lack of infrastructure and lower standard of living. Thus, to offshore manufacturing is to escape as much of the “social compact” heavy lifting as is possible yet still get back in time to reap the rewards.

• Maquis says:

Which makes those off-shore producers Anti-Social, completely counter to the way so many of those companies pretend to be.

• Michael says:

This a very important point. I imagine we all want a clean safe place to live. What we don’t need is the gvt as a micromanaging “partner” burying us in regulations, paperwork, and taxes that make the very thing we want impossible.

8. litenmaus says:

I’ll second what Bob said…Thank you SD. :0)

9. Bob Thoms says:

This is what I have been waiting for. This is why Trump won.

10. Just Curious says:

Thanks Sundance for breaking this down for us. China Canada & Mex the 3 amigos aka the 3 worms..Seems China is the head worm named Cheatanonymous – well sayonara

• Lack is not all says:

Trump as President came too soon for China’s purposes. Ten more years and we are done.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

We dodged that ChiCom bullet, as well. Thank You, Lord.
        And thank you again, Sundance, for clarifying how this NAFTA functions. I never liked it nor trust it. I remembered Bush Jr raving about it, while I rolled my eyes, worrying about our highways being filled with gas-spewing NAFTA trucks.

Should NAFTA get canceled, then we can reclaim our highways for ourselves again. Let them ship their junk to each other by boats.

• Aguila2011 says:

Time to update the lingo Curious. Sayonara is Japanese. Try bai bai for the ChiComs.

11. fleporeblog says:

At this point the hell with Mexico 🇲🇽, Canada 🇨🇦 and ultimately China 🇨🇳! This was the greatest scheme made to man. The Mexicans have gotten filthy rich because the Chinese have used them to deliver their 💩 to sell in our country so that they can forgo any tariffs. All Mexicans have to do is assemble the garbage and pass it on to us.

Using the EO would start the six month clock to termination. In the meantime both of those countries would be eager to negotiate bilaterally with us. We could have both bilateral deals done ✅ by the time the six month window closes on NAFTA. These POS need us more than we will ever need them!

Thank you God in Heaven for our President who loves our country and all its citizens. The Energy Revolution that is fueling our Economic Train 🚂 and our Economic Leverage with Russia 🇷🇺 and eventually with China 🇨🇳, will allow those 60,000 factories to be rebuilt and operating to make all our products right here in the Great USA 🇺🇸!

We are sitting on a GOLD MINE and our Golden President is letting it fuel ⛽️ every aspect of our economy, domestic and foreign agendas!

That is MEGASUPERWINNING!

• Lack is not all says:

Trump was preparing this for a long long time. China can’t believe her bad luck. Just a little more cheating and the sell out Clintons were now in power.

• NAFTA is to the USA what the EU is to Great Britain and the same type of scum are behind both. And- politicians in both anglosphere countries are traitors trying to keep this sort of globalist enslavement alive.

Thank God for Trump basically.

• Aguila2011 says:

f lepore; I agree with you for the most part, however, just as with the illegal immigration fiasco which was set up by big business and our political class, these trade deals are in the same league. So I don’t blame illegals for coming north for all the freebies that states and the Fed’s offer, nor the countries taking advantage of the deals put on the table by our self righteous leaders who are chartered with taking care of our country and our people. As I said before, they are the ones who have given away the store. It is like having a grocery store and leaving it open at night with lights on, air conditioning, music playing, fully stocked and restocking it the next day when the cupboards are empty in the morning. They have been not only derelict in their duty but complicit in criminal activity and yet there is no justice for their crimes. So yes, it is natural to want to pin the blame on the easy target but to me the real “bad guys” are our own leaders. They create, and support these schemes, again for a piece of the action. As others have said, “Follow the money!”

12. James says:

The 30 ish opening statements video is a clear sign of how serious the Trump team is about MAGA. Its clear to see to anyone who works a full time job at a company that values results, not rhetoric. These negotiators came with numbers and data. The other side (Canada & Mexico) came with virtue signaling, ad hominems (after on twitter), and jokes. They are going to be eaten alive.

13. Jenny R. says:

Since Minister Freeland seems so intent upon talking about LQWERTY and “first nation” rights, as well as climate change, perhaps our negotiators could start talking about Ukraine (and her daddy) whenever she goes on. After all, Ukraine is such a favorite topic of Ms. Freeland’s….

• kiskiminetas says:

Is that Freeland or Freeloader?

• Maquis says:

LQWERTY! I love that, consider it stolen!!

• georgiafl says:

Don’t laugh – in 2003 the alcoholic ‘gay’ bishop (now divorced from the ‘spouse’) said there was a ‘whole alphabet of sexual identities’ just waiting in the wings.

Pandora’s box was opened and now there are at least 26 different ‘genders’ being promoted by these loonies.

• Maquis says:

Oh, I believe! I have taken to writing LGBTQRSTUVWXY&Z. But I like the simple clean lines of the techno-kid mockery of LQWERTY, and so much easier to type.

I know there are good people with hard to deal with, very real, problems in the realm of gender/sexual “identities,” but in their rush to accept the legitimacy and acceptance the Left has promised them they have over-looked the fact that they are being used and abused for a sinister purpose.

Most of those 31 flavors are beyond parody, in any venue. Created by fools completely divorced from the reality and confusion of Gender Dysphoria. Were I struggling with who I am and how I feel I wouldn’t put my most private and painful issues in the hands of the Left.

The Left always has to have a Plantation, always has to have Slaves. The topography may differ, the faces may change, the victims may not yet recognize their chains, nor their peril, but the impulse is the same: control, power, money.

14. kiskiminetas says:

This is great news indeed and DT has made it clear over and over he/we want bi-lateral trade deals that benefit US! Those that rip us off such as the uniparty, other nations, corporations home/abroad and globalists everywhere this is for you.

15. Monster says:

Is that the same Freeland who Joe Scarborough booked on TV for years as one of the smartest, greatest minds from The Financial Times and Reuters?

16. Its all posturing and politicizing at this NAFTA summit. CanaMex are just looking for some pretext to walk out and blame the Trump team for the collapse in the negotiations. There is no way that Chapter 19 and rules of origin are going to be grandfathered into the new agreement. No. Friggen. Way. So, everybody’s gonna walk out and then we scrap the whole thing. They’ll try to blame us for everything, but its not like we aren’t used to that by now. Tell ’em to stuff it. They’ll come crying back to the negotiating table once the 35% tariffs start getting handed down.

By the way, I am certain the whole Charlottesville thing was staged to try and hurt Trump politically in front of these negotiations. Even the Chinese were bludgeoning the administration over it and they ostensibly have nothing to do with our domestic affairs (or do they?).

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Bingo!

• Aguila2011 says:

Say, that reminds me. Does anyone know whatever happened to that transnational highway that was supposed connect, and run straight through the US from Mexico into Canada? I thought that was going to be a large project similar to the Keystone pipeline with a dedicated highway for allowing goods to be moved north and south within the constructs of NAFTA. Just wondering.

17. A2 says:

From my post on the opening of NAFTA negotiations: Firstly this:
    This article addresses the IP problem, China’s backdoorism and why they are so interested in the NAFTA negotiations.
    “Put China’s Intellectual Property Theft in a Larger Context”

Secondly this: If you have read the NAFTA agreement, Pres. Trump’s administration is solidly and simply applying game theory. Think about it. Canada and Mexico can’t win. They will posture for the cameras and the home audience, but before they even arrived in DC, they have lost. The rest of this process is just to hold their hands and guide them to acceptance.

How may anyone of sound mind believe sending in Miss Canada and superannuated PM who negotiated the original agreement, will be successful? Mexican political dynamics the same (election coming up).

As a punter I would give these odds, US 1, Mex and Canada 0. Sorry Sundance, that is may bet.

• Maquis says:

In regards to the very real need to address China’s abuses via, in large measure, by returning yo out-innovating them, we really need to revisit the Obama Abomination’s changes to USPTO laws that cripple the little guys.

I am sure you know much more about this issue than I, but I know that there are real problems with the US Patent system and anything the Obama Abomination ever did was designed to screw us over in favor of Globalism.

It appears that for the little guy the system is now only a smorgasbord fir the big guts to see the new ideas and either wait for the silly Provisional Patent to expire while the under-resourced inventor tries to meet the onerous requirements of a genuine Patent Application before his one-year non-renewable Provisional expires, or simply skin the unjustly effort free new-found cat in another manner and go straight to market.

In any case, as an inventor with too few resources, the Patent Office has become a fairly unhelpful institution best avoided whilst pursuing licensing.

There are way too many obstacles for the non-rich to put their ideas to good purpose in service of their family’s budget and the Country’s economy.

• A2 says:

I agree. That will change and be protected from China’s relentless efforts to feed at that trough.

• Michael says:

This is an incredibly important point! The USPTO used to be a place where a little guy with an idea and determination had a chance to benefit from his industry and imagination. No longer. I do hope POTUS Trump is going to fix this.

18. USA loves Melania says:

If Team MAGA wins (and I believe they will) the Dems will never win another vote in the no-longer-rusty Manufacturing Belt again. Our President is building a big, beautiful, powerful Red Wall from Oshkosh to Scranton.

19. Maquis says:

Our NAFTA “partners” Acted in Bad Faith for Thirty-Years.

Our NAFTA Renegociation “Partners” Acting in Bad Faith from Day One.

Trash it.

20. NJ Transplant says:

It’s a good thing our trade representatives are discussing rules of origin. It is not just China who is benefitting from NAFTA. There are also German autos made in Mexico and then shipped to the US duty free.

We get screwed by everyone. Cancel NAFTA. NAFTA (and the illegals) has destroyed our country and made everyone else rich.

• Jenny R. says:

Good catch — probably the reason why Angela has been snuggling up to Trudeau and Nieto as of late.
      Germany’s industrial output is on shaky ground as it is…so is China’s, and for the same reason: they have forever stupidly rested their laurels on export expansion while ignoring the need to encourage domestic markets (they have even encouraged this). Their economies are completely unbalanced by this; it also encourages them to engage in very predatory practices. And now they are in shall we say “a bit of a pickle but too hard headed to pull out”.

21. distracted2 says:

I don’t know enough about the fine points of these negotiations to participate in the discussion but I am paying close attention. So a big thanks to all of you who do and to Sundance, of course!

22. emet" says:

The transshipment of Chinese wearing apparel thru Mexico was (probably still) a major problem. Textiles have the highest duty rates, plus they used to be quota/visa. There were limits on textile imports from China. China evaded the quota and duty by transshipping thru Mexico, with the helpful but hungry Mexican authorities making arrangements.

23. deplorabledooku says:

Remember when “Made in Japan” denoted cheap junk? Now it’s “Made in China”. So much of what we are stuck with buying particularly when trying to be careful with our money is that cheap China-made garbage. I was pricing batteries, and so much of what passes for batteries on Amazon is unreliable China-made junk. Many customers write that the batteries are low cost, but are exactly that, cheap. Yet, what is confounding to me, is that Apple can have their products made in China by criminally underpaid workers, priced to sell at exorbitantly (and I think unnecessarily) high prices, and it’s still China-made, so how come their stuff isn’t as poorly made as the low quality stuff stuffing Wal-Mart and Amazon? Something just doesn’t add up for me. The Chi-coms and Apple have the last laugh.

• USA loves Melania says:

I was pleased to see at the store the other day that most if not all of the Ray-o-vac batteries are USA made. I don’t think any of the Energizers were and only some of the Duracells. Prices were comparable.

I was cleaning out some junk in the attic a while back and came across one of my old toys, a space shuttle, which is battery powered. I haven’t touched this thing in 20 years and it has been stored in garages and attics. I pressed one of the buttons and the lights started flashing and it made rocket ship noises! Took the batteries out and they are Rayovacs. They have some numbers on them, I think it was “1/93” so I guess they might have expired in January of 1993. Still working!

• ledygrey says:

What would Apple products cost if they were made in the USA?

24. emet says:

BTW, if you want the “wall money” from Mexico, just uncap the MPF ($485) on goods from Mexico. Currently the Merchandise Processing Fee is assessed on imports by value at .3464%, with a maximum of $485 per Customs entry. The “wall” is of course a necessary part of the import process, since it guarantees that imports go thru ports of entry, and are not smuggled between ports of entry.

25. Gil says:

When Canada asks about its sjw addendum to nafta:

When mexico asks if they get out of paying for the wall, paying big U.S. taxes, and having to repatriate their citizens:

When China asks about its future prospects:

When I asked if MAGA is going to work:

26. Joe says:

I am stunned that Canada is willing to go full SJW in a trade agreement with Trump. That is the purest form of losing.

• kiskiminetas says:

I am not stunned at all as their leaders have had SJW thoughts flowing through their veins and minds for many, many years now. They are about to be given shots of SJW blockers forthwith!

27. Delilah says:

My blood pressure is boiling at the complete and total corruption of our government.

• tvollrath66 says:

You can bet congress will be the same way on this as they have been on healthcare or worse.

• lisabrqwc says:

Mine too. They think of us as just meat with eyes. Makes me want to punch something!!

• NJ Transplant says:

It’s not just the government Delilah. It is also the corporations who are multinational. We are supposed to think all those companies left the manufacturing counsel because PDJT is a racist. It was planned. They went on it for show to fool the American public into letting them continue to sell foreign made junk. They never planned to stay with it. They were looking for the first reason they could find.

The false “racist” accusation has been used too many times. They are just too stupid to know it. They think we will fall for it. What is the definition of crazy? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

28. Delilah says:

The environmentalists did all this. They pushed and pushed to have all manufacturing leave the US, and slowly but surely they were pushing the government to start grabbing all the vacant and not-so-vacant lands….

• PreNanny says:

Despite the self importance the so called environmentalists have anointed themselves,
      their masters ARE the self-serving globalists. They do their bidding.
      I look forward to going back to simple conservation.
      MAGA

29. tigsmom says:

40 years ago, my other half was the rep for Apple and the other big names in the electronics companies for all of South America and Mexico They would not allow US made goods w/o some “work” into their countries. Yes, there was smuggling involved. The product had to be disassembled and rebuilt. The TPTB were real unhappy to have wages increased to $ 0.25/hr from
    $ 0.15/hr for the female workers from the favelas. Rather than them working day to day to feed their kids, they could save a bit. Crazy how true Capitalism works.

30. mailmannz says:

Im not surprised Canada is showing little interest in negotiating anything here that could be used by the Trump Administration to their advantage.

Canada’s current Government is part of the globalist problem so they will do everything in their power to ensure Trump doesn’t get anything he can use for the benefit of Americans.

Make no mistake about this, what ever comes out of these agreements will be used as a way of punishing Americans for voting the wrong way and upsetting their nice little order of things.

• PreNanny says:

As if canada has the power to punish Americans. snicker snort
      Canucks are getting shafted by their government it will be interesting to see what they do
      about it.

• KBR says:

I mentioned that LG+letter scramble that keeps changing was the first thing the Canadian wanted in trade agreements. My spouse said, so they want to trade strange-sex?

I found that funny🤣

• NJ Transplant says:

A lot of Canadians wish that PDJT was their President. My brother in law is Canadian and he wishes that.

31. Donna in Oregon says:

I have been waiting for this day since George H.W. Bush rambled on about the New World Order and then Bill Clinton finished us off with NAFTA.

So exciting to watch the sausage getting made instead of back room deals.

32. elleb77 says:

Wasn’t NAFTA Pappa Bush’s brain fart? No wonder his drunken sons are screeching now.

• bentley1blog says:

Aren’t they the most shameful group of back stabbers ever? How very sad to think how we loved Bush when he was our president. Oscars for the Bush family…wait…Jeb will be busy making guacamole with Columba. Yikes

33. KBR says:

The USA textiles industry has been gravely decimated over decades by regulations in the Department of Agriculture (cotton, flax, sheep/wool, indigo) and extreme worker-safety/health regulations beyond reason, and extreme Environmental regulations beyond reason…Also raw materials-chemical-textile manufacturing (there are no polyester bushes nor rayon vines nor spandex/elastic trees) are gone overseas through these same extreme regulations.

The USA once grew the raw materials or chemically manufactured (and innovatively created the formulae for the manufacture of) raw materials for modern textiles. From the cotton threads and chemical fibers, beautifully dyed, all the way through to the completed products: clothing, towels, sheets, blankets, nearly all raw materials sourced, grown, made in the USA.

One might add the cattle industry concerning leather shoes, belts, purses even though the cattle industry is usually only thought about in terms of meat and dairy.

Buttons, zippers, and other necessary fasteners (some plastic, another chemical-some once made of bone or seashell-some metal) also were once, raw material to finished product, made in USA.

I have spoken before about the cotton textile industry specifically, but here is a quote regarding sheep(wool:)
    “From a record high of 56 million head in 1942, inventories have declined to 6.2 million head as of January 1, 2007, the lowest level in recorded history.”

This source for the sheep data, (an edu.com source) while admitting the extreme decrease, goes into pretzels explaining how there is “no one cause.” But the one biggest cause was, of course, the rise of globalism:

This might SEEM off-topic but is not.

China ships a portion of its “textiles/clothing/fabric) to Mexico, (Indonesia, Pakistan)… where a (sweat shop) factory “assembles” whatever portion still needs assembling of that dress, pants, shoe, (perhaps a bit of sewing, perhaps the setting in of a zipper, perhaps the application of buttons, perhaps the sewing of an already-cut garment, perhaps putting an insole into a shoe) or similar operations for a towel, or blanket, or sheet. Then it is shipped as a “product of Mexico.”

You can bet that portion shipped for assembly is that portion above their limits for direct trade to the USA.

Interesting, then that India (rayon/cotton) and Egypt (the “egyptian cotton” reputed-deliberately-to be superior to cotton grown elsewhere) are being courted for trade deals (among other reasons.)
    After all, we must keep our citizens clothed until we can rebuild our textiles industries-literally-from the ground (US agricultural-soil) up.

Otherwise we go without those items made of fabric (actually though not admittedly) made in China.

I was taught that mere-survival basics are food, clothing, shelter, fuel. How many survival-basics are now made and resourced in countries whose leaders might be anti-USA?

MAGA means, at the most badic level, US survival basics are in US hands.

• daughnworks247 says:

At LEAST once a month, I have factory owners from northern India calling me, looking to by fabric looms fro North Carolina, etc. They want our equipment. So incredibly demoralizing.

• Malatrope says:

India is expanding by leaps and bounds. They are now the largest manufacturer of motorcycles in the world (crown taken from China), and own some famous old companies like BSA, Jawa, as well as developing controlling interest in Husqvarna, KTM, and Triumph.

They are sneaking up around all the edges, and we ignore them at our peril. More power to them, and I applaud their industry, but the best thing I can say about India is that it isn’t a Communist power. They are by no means stupid.

• NJ Transplant says:

What makes me crazy Malatrope is that the Indians get affirmative action when they come here, even with government jobs. I know that from personal experience. The county in NJ were we escaped from is now majority minority because of Asians, mostly Indians. They have really infiltrated. The only good things about them is that they work, don’t commit crimes and support the President. But that doesn’t help if they are taking our jobs, both there and here.

• Dixie says:

That’s interesting. I was wondering about that. So “made in mexico”, or perhaps any other country really means “MADE IN CHINA”. I’d be curious about how many other countries participate in that fraud.

About 10 years ago, I occasionally bought shrimp from Walmart. My husband said one day, don’t bring any more of that shrimp grown in Thailand home. I’ve been reading labels ever since. If it’s not made or grown in the U.S.A., I make do without.

• Esperanza says:

On the other hand Thailand needs trade too. I’m all for trade, it’s great. China and Mexico need to start selling their stuff to their home market.

34. KBR says:

Basic not badic. But we need this bad!

• Maquis says:

Yes we do. I feel every family should strive to be fully self-sufficient in those regards as well. Still praying for my bolt-hole/bunker/retirement/escape place out of hoity-toity you-can’t-do-that HOA Hell.

Thanks for your post. Love learning what Treepers know and share, awesome bunch, truly.

35. Bob Thoms says:

Question.

At what point is NAFTA the treaty legally dead?

• Bob Thoms says:

A specific date in time?I
      By act of congress?
      When new treaty is signed?
      Are there triggers in NAFTA that kills it?

Going forward is the goal a trade treaty or trade agreements?

36. NJF says:

THank you SD for breaking this down in such an easy to understand format.

It still surprises me how willing our previous “leaders” were to sell out the USA and screw the American worker.

37. highdezertgator says:

To: Canada and Mexico;
    “This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.” (compliments to HAL 9000)
    Yours truly,
    MAGA with the Big Beautiful Flag

38. Daniel says:

Globalists: We want what the USA has! Let’s kill the USA so we can take it!
    USA: What we have is based on culture, believe, faith and practice. Killing us guarantees you will never have it.

• Maquis says:

Truth. The Reconquistas think they will be rich when their numbers and criminality and violence drive us from our lands, ceding it to it’s “original” (bullcrap) owners.

They do not understand, WE are the source of the wealth they seek, and steal. It is indeed all those things you mentioned, Daniel. We, the people of America, embodying all those virtues and principles, are the Golden Goose.

When Third-World peoples over populate an area of the US and create a virtual Banlieu on our own soil, they are creating the very conditions they supposedly fled from. Without our wealth, utilities, social infrastructure, and the trappings of a First-Rate First-World Civiluzation all about and through that “Little Mexico”, “Little Calcutta”, or “Little Somalia,” they would return “their” communities to the dysfunctional state of their homelands sans even a lifeline.

Without a Free United Sttres, there is nowhere to run to.

39. daughnworks247 says:

For China specifically, it’s hard to estimate the real trade deficit. I’ve seen an “average” of an additional 200 billion via back-door entrance into the USA.
    And if you think it’s just China, don’t be fooled.
    For instance, most of you are familiar with travertine flooring, used abundantly in home building from 2000 to 2017. Well, travertine mostly comes from Turkey but a LOT of it comes from Iran. When America embargoed Iran, Italy did not. I know several Italian companies who import raw blocks of almost every kind of stone, or even raw slabs, into Mexico. The material is then cut, polished, boxed, and shipped into the USA —- all to get around tariffs and sanctions. Which ALSO means countries like Italy/France were “invested” in America having sanctions against Iran.
    Meanwhile, I can’t sell a DeWalt saw blade to Brazil without a 35% tariff.
    It makes me crazy.

40. D-FENS says:

Thank you for your hard work on this. I don’t know that anyone else is covering this as well as you are.

41. coltlending says:

Man have we ever been getting shorted and shafted by the gaming of NAFTA by our so called economic partners.

Most all of us knew this, but the detail SD outlines really shines a light on how we are being shafted by China, Mexico and Canada, but also how we have been shafted by our politicians.

I can understand China, Mexico and Canada want to do what’s good for their economies, but mother of god, where the heck have the people who should be looking out for us been??

Oh yea, lining their pockets.

Thank god PDJT and his team are taking action.

This country better wise up.

42. This is excellent. Thank you so much for undertaking this endeavor!

As for rules of origin “assembly” can be as simple as putting a label on a pre fabbed part or plugging a connector from one pre fabbed part to another.

43. jonvil says:

Just what do we get from Mexico, Canada & China that we absolutely NEED?
    And IF they do supply a ‘need’ I am confident that there are alternate sources, like producing it ourselves!!!

44. Bendix says:

Here is something that makes me very sad about this NAFTA issue. The way the other ‘side’ has been so successful in persuading the very people who will be helped the most by what President Trump is trying to do, that our president is such a bad man that the most important thing in the world is that he be stopped.
    That’s what Charlotte was all about, trying to instill mortal terror in Americans.
    It makes me cry, the Americans working under deplorable conditions, not earning enough to pay for groceries, and having the Social Security which is deducted from their paychecks be squandered on imported people.
    I keep meeting people in the “on demand” workforce, no such thing as two days off in a row, people working part-time but still working six or seven days in a row, never knowing which days or how many hours, no ability to plan their lives whatsoever.
    Sold a myth that the reason their college degree they are still paying for didn’t earn them a better job, because it wasn’t a degree in ‘STEM’, when all around them they see people with degrees in fields like political science, in appointment politics, living the life of the 1% hanger-ons, and nobodies with science and technology degrees working in retail.
    I wish the young “occupiers”, the sincere ones, could see that President Trump is on their side, because they are Americans, and he is on America’s side.
    Imagine that, young people believing a pro-American president is a danger to them.

45. Heather Balz says:

Make no mistake. The U.S. does this also. I work for an Chinese auto supplier. China ships parts to the US, and we just repackaging them and ship to the auto manufacturers. That’s it. Take the parts and put them in another box.

• Dixie says:

Heather, is that to mislead the American people who have caught on and might not want to buy something from China so they “box” it in one labeled “made in the U.S.A.”

46. I would like to see transcripts of every meeting. Of course, we’ll never see anything of the sort. But it’s something to consider from a transparency standpoint.

47. ghost of Benghazi says:

The best thing for Canada is to get crushed in NAFTA. China and the EU will drop them like a hot potato. Canada has been using NAFTA to screw Canadian workers as well. Go Trump.