U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross sat down for a comprehensive discussion on trade, education and commerce policies with Bloomberg’s David Gura at the Bloomberg Breakaway Summit in New York.

In his direct and often humorous style Wilburine describes some of the current economic trade challenges and presents an outline of U.S. forward policy.  Secretary Ross spends quite a bit of time explaining how the NAFTA trade agreement is obsolescent in the modern era and how many of the products and industries in 2017 are not part of the agreement.

Wilburine also discusses how the business community is interacting with the Trump administration to deliver on specific aspects to the larger economic policy goals. A very good and substantive discussion segment:

Additionally, COMMERCE – Earlier today, U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin held a phone conversation with Vice Premier Wang Yang of China. Commerce Secretary Ross, Treasury Secretary Mnuchin and Vice Premier Wang discussed bilateral issues related to the U.S.- China Comprehensive Dialogue and the overall economic and trade relationship between the two countries. (link)

This entry was posted in Budget, Economy, Education, energy, Environmentalism, Legislation, Mexico, President Trump, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, US Treasury. Bookmark the permalink.

93 Responses to Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross Discusses Congress, Trade, Education, China and NAFTA…

1. Gil says:

Dang it…I was going to get some sleep! So MUCH winning…….

2. WSB says:

Sundance and Company, thank you for the coverage and the analysis of these many important stories. No one else is covering any of this.

• sundance says:

Intellectual armament. 😀 😀 😀 “honing the saw”!

• WSB says:

Thank you!

And your empowerment is inspiring! Even my own mother is in awe of my newfound knowledge and pesky common sense arguments. And she has quite an email list with which she forwards many CTH research articles! Virginia is well covered.

Tentacles!

• FLSverker says:

How do you do it? I really wish I could just tune out the media have a news feed of just government functions so I know what my leaders are up to.

• Wend says:

It’s really quite easy, FL. WH.gov and the CTH will give you everything you need–and you will feel SO much better eliminating that hideous blathering from your life!

• Alleycats says:

“It’s amazing how raw unfiltered information can provide you with the strength to slay a thousand false arguments.”

That is exactly what made me stay when I visited here the first few times, several years ago. I was shocked to realize how completely I had believed (fake) news from “trusted” sources. It took a while to get over the shock and shame of BCS.

This cat is never leaving her perch in the Treehouse. Thank you so much, again.

• WSB says:

I have seen various reports that this is indeed happening. Looks like a major investment in one of the existing networks like OANN or others. We’ll have to stay tuned.

3. SandraOpines says:

Oooooh Thank you Sundance. I wuvs me some Wilburine. It was awesome!!!! (Sandra Dances)

• sundance says:

Me too 😀 😀 😀 Who knew a commerce secretary could be this much fun?

• WSB says:

Makes Sesame Street and Mister Rogers look inept.

If we could just park little 5 year olds for a half hour every day in front of the tube in their jammies with a Wilburine, a T-Rex and a LION, we’re good to go!

• A2 says:

Mr Wilbur is a national treasure. I love Mr Wilburine quotes. The interview was unexpectedly good on the Bloomburg side. I truly hope all your readers listen and learn.

• Who have you ever seen in Government like our Wilburine?

– Who can cut the wheat from the chaff so crisply
        – Who can frame the vision for success so elegantly
        – Who can design actions that achieve the vision so pragmatically
        – Who can develop win-wins that draw partners to join in those actions so powerfully
        – Who can induce competitors to become partners so deftly

• nontroll says:

I love the fact that all of President Trump’s cabinet picks seem to understand the concept of win-win. This is by no means co-incidental. I believe this is integral to PDJT’s negotiating philosophy. It is simple yet brilliant. How do you get somebody with values and morals completely opposite to yours to agree to a contract? You certainly don’t try to make them understand your values – they won’t. You educate them that you will both get what you want. There is no other way possible that Trump could have been successful building in NYC considering the swamp critters he was dealing with.

• Nontroll: Really nice insights!

• R-C says:

It’s a natural constant: winners attract winners. The president has brought those like him onto his team–Mr. Trump has done this his entire professional life; it’s why he is as wealthy and accomplished as he is.

• nontroll says:

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when the President’s father was having those important little chats with him. PDJT didn’t acquire his knowledge through luck.

• nontroll says:

R-C, I’m having a great deal of difficulty navigating this WordPress thingy. I’m only informed through e-mail when someone likes one of my comments – I get nothing to indicate someone is replying to me. Am I doing something wrong?

• WSB says:

Receiving likes and comments through email are both options. I turn both off to save space on my inbox. Use your WordPress account to change settings, and you can and respond to all of your likes and comments there. Click on the Bell in the upper right. You’ll find my comment there to test it.

• nontroll says:

Thanks a bunch – gonna try it.

• nontroll says:

Can’t figure out how to get to my WordPress account – all I keep getting to is the Gravatar page.

• WSB says:

Try signing into WordPress.com. After your post, now I am having all kinds of trouble on my WP account…LOL! Will wonders never cease?!

• nontroll says:

WSB, thank you so much for taking the time to tell me about that “little bell”. I LOVE that thing. Hey-zeus Chreeztoes you have made my life so much better. Finally knowing that somebody has replied to me and I get to talk back is so much fun. Hopefully you and the other Treepers don’t get tired of my interjecting! (I do love to talk)

• WSB says:

Enjoy your new freedom! Glad to be of assistance!

I had an English teacher once who said we were only allowed to talk as fast as we could write.

I can only assume that he didn’t want us bloviating during class! Blogs help us, too!

Happy writing!

• nontroll says:

Oh crap – sorry I just figured it out – too cool! Thanks a heap!

• piper567 says:

Ross uses so few words.
          Makes you realize it has been so long… everything the Government has said has to be examined closely to see if anything was said…and it rarely was…that seemed to be the point: obfuscation and mind-numbing excessive delivery of not a single fact…nothing to evaluate.
          Ross delivers simple sentences which say everything that needs to be said in answer to a Q.
          WOW…allows you to understand a thing…you know, as if that actually is the point of an interview.

• The govt folks all learn that in college. I was just at a lecture last night by a long-time professor and, of course, a PhD. Not only was his talk twice as wordy as it needed to be, but his responses to questions were, too.
            However, I saw the “reason” for it when he had to respond to a very hostile member of the audience. First, he let the guy ramble on for a while. Then, he began to “answer” with what was pretty much gobbledy-gook. But then, he stumbled upon an effective rebuttal, rounded up the superfluous words, dumped them, and destroyed the gut!
            I would have loved it, but was half-asleep by the time he got to his great rebuttal.
            Ima tell you, academics are bunk!

• IMO, Wilburine’s few words reflect stunning brilliance in his understanding of complex economic-political systems of interactions, and his strategic focus on both where to make changes for the good and how to make them happen.

• crossrib says:

The “reform centers” line was priceless (at @ 15:00 min).

4. filia.aurea says:

“Congress is all about process”. When “process” becomes one’s raison d’etre, there’s no time to actually deliver results. The Congress’ focus on process doubles as their “binky”. Time to remove the self-imposed rules and reduce or eliminate unconstitutional committees that gum up the works. Our sagacious POTUS has his sights on these considerable impairments to productivity.

• filia.aurea says:

P.S. Interesting and informative interview – Wilbur Ross is top shelf.

• R-C says:

Your point was going to be the crux of my main comment on Secretary Wilbur’s comments.

As a dyed-in-the-wool ‘Results Guy’, I am almost never about ‘the process’. (There are occasions where process is very important, but in my opinion those are few.)

When you say “…there’s no time to actually deliver results”, you’re right–but I’d respond that it’s actually worse than that: There is no DESIRE to actually deliver results.

To the Congress who meets precious few days in the first place, you’re absolutely right to point out that ‘process’ and ‘time’ don’t mix in a positive way. But Congress isn’t interested in results–they’re interested in ‘OPTICS’: the ILLUSION that they’re working hard, when they’re clearly not.

And to Congress, the illusion is enough to dupe the complacent, ill-informed constituent into pulling the lever for them, one more time, next election. Up until now, that is. We are wise to their ways, and President Trump is putting his chess pieces on the board to thwart their foot-dragging, process-wonk ways. (You heard Wilbur’s comments about EOs being ‘efficient’, versus the process in Congress.)

Oh, to be an ‘efficiency expert’ with the mandate and authority to break up the cloying, archaic self-imposed ‘rules’ of Congress. If you’ve seen the movie “Office Space”–and I recommend it–you’ll understand when I say that Congress desperately needs a visit from “The Two Bobs”. (“Can you tell me what it is you actually DO here?”)

Secretary Wilbur is brilliant pick for the office he holds. We are lucky we have his services.

And still, despite the foot-dragging US CoC lap-dogs in the US Congress, President Trump advances.

• MVW says:

Process moves mountains. Mountains can’t be moved otherwise without epic volcanic explosions, the results of which are a mess.

Take the incompetent processes of Obama. After 8 years we end up with a workforce that is incapable of facing modern work beyond minimum wage. Physics, Chemistry, Math, the so called STEM focus touted for women by Ivanka misses the same for men.

We lost a decade. And in the modern world that is the loss of a generation. Criminal. Tragic. Head spinning. Furthermore, the work ethic of Americans changed to the worse.

This can be turned around, but it needs full 180 degrees.

• Wend says:

“Office Space” was so great-I have to see “Idiocracy”. Mike Judge is so red-pilled.

• filia.aurea says:

Terrific reply, TY. This “body” is so screwed up it’s not even funny. I haven’t seen the movie, but will search for it. I’m a firm believer in process management, but these politicians have no intention of using processes properly, because we’d see a dramatic improvement in efficiency, less indecision, forced consensus, less personnel hours, twice as many accomplishments…but I digress. These old dogs don’t want to learn new tricks, so we’ll just have to fire them. PDJT is running this whole shebang without them anyway..got to find that movie.

5. Wend says:

I LOVE me some WILBURINE!! And also loved the T-Rex tape-Thanks!

Tonight at dinner Mom said this was the greatest Cabinet in her memory-I have to agree.

6. wheatietoo says:

Wilbur was at the First Presidential Debate…I didn’t know that.

Wilbur Ross quotes:

“Banking, I would argue, is the most heavily regulated industry in the world. Regulations don’t solve things. Supervision solves things.”

“My wife Hillary sometimes accuses me of trying to reinvent the 19th century. In some ways she’s right because I like things that I can understand and that aren’t too complicated.”

“The fundamentals are the U.S. is going to end up being a net exporter of natural gas. That’s going to be wonderful to help our balance of payments, reduce our dependence on a lot of countries that aren’t so crazy about us, and change many, many parts of what goes on here.”

If you want to do something to destroy consumer spending, just eat away at the middle class because the other problem we have is the structural problem of middle class America.

Bhwaahahaha.

7. Makes our day much brighter knowing we finally have adults in charge of our important trade deals. We love us some Wilburine!

8. Craig W. Gordon says:

Wilbur is the man with a great business mind. Glad he is working for us!

9. highdezertgator says:

His land is biggest an’ his land is best
    from grassy plains to the mountain crest
    He’s ahead of us all meetin’ the test
    followin’ his legend into the West
    Wibur, Wilburine, king of the wild frontier!

(credits to the Ballad of Davy Crockett lyrics)

• Wend says:

Wow, I have Tennessee Ernie’s version of that and it doesn’t have that verse-but the same album has a duet with Betty Hutton that’s hilarious-“The Honeymoon’s Over”!

10. Question Everything says:

I get a real kick out of Mr. Ross. He has the appearance of a meek little man but in reality he is a badger. I think it throws his opponents off and catches them by surprise.

11. CharterOakie says:

Wilbur Ross is so astute, so accomplished, so competent. One of the absolute best cabinet picks by Trump, and maybe the single best. For my money, Mnuchin, Tillerson, Mattis and Sessions are all very impressive, but Ross may be supremo.

12. fleporeblog says:

I have been working in the NYC DOE for the past 18 years. I was a principal of a predominately all boys HS (85% Black and Hispanic boys compared to 15% Black and Hispanic girls) in the Fort Apache section of the South Bronx (think back to the Bronx is burning in the 70s). We had an incredible graduation rate over my 7+ years (89.5%). However, less than 20% of those graduates could finish a 4 year college degree.

I think every single community college should change to a true vocational setting. There are millions and millions of jobs that we can’t find American workers for. Mike Roh has a $500,000 scholarship program for jobs in welding, mechanic etc. He told Charles Payne that he has a difficult time giving the money away. Not everyone needs to go to college. Give them a chance to find a vocation that will allow them to have everything they could possibly want. There is such a need for welders that can earn over six figures in the Dakotas and down to Texas.

• Alison says:

I hope there will be a Commerce/Education deparment joint ‘rapid deployment’ initiative to get this type of trade school in place.

It will take ‘re-education’ (to use a Commie phrase) b/c universities will fight losing bodies they wanted to indoctrinate. Also getting current parents/children to realize how paying for a particular education equates to making a living.

• fleporeblog says:

Great points Alison! I think parents are the easier of the 2 groups because they are seeing the debt their kids are incurring. The Universities would be up in arms because they would be losing the gravy train financially and the ability to indoctrinate the masses.

• piper567 says:

Its true the supply end of these Schools is short.
        Even here in pinko WA, there are waiting lists for some of the hot trades: Aeronautic mechanics, welders, electrical apprentices, etc.
        The desire is there in many smart kids…bc they know College is a joke, nothing but debt and no job prospects for those with only a BA or BS.
        A friend of mine’s son got his first job as an electrical apprentice…he was recruited…and made $35/hr.
        College grad w/a BS in Women or Ethnic “Studies”? no job prospects apart from soros employment @ $15/hr, ha!

• My 60 year- old brother just graduated from a WA state community college with an AA in auto repair. All three of his siblings (we all have college degrees) were there for the ceremony. Lots of grads in the auditorium. With their families in the balconies! Making lots, and lots of noise! Wearing 4″ spike heels! Much joy all around.

You might be amazed to know how many “minorities” were there! I counted about 10 different languages giving welcome speeches. Community colleges are where it’s at!

• Alison says:

And God Bless you for bravery & making through your Fort Apache days! Yikes!!

• dobbsfan says:

I salute you! IMHO, you are a gem to the tree here.

• maiingankwe says:

Welders make a heck of a lot of money in Alaska. We need them for our pipeline. Years ago I knew someone who said they were making fifty bucks an hour welding. I don’t know if it was true since he was good at b-essing. This must have been 15 years ago.

What I do know is the money is good and so are the benefits. We need welders. Heck, if I was younger, I would’ve gone to school for this. My family would be set up nice by now.

• I agree. That was a very good post.

Has anyone tried working on their car lately? I used to do it all until everything became electronics simply because I don’t mind that kind of thing. Today, forget it. I don’t just think I would screw it up, I know I would….

Who does not have favorite mechanics that mean about as much to them today as their doctor, lawyer, etc.

My how the times have changed. Bring back high-school shop, wood-working classes, HVAC and the like. And the old fashioned Vo-Tech instead of college is a very viable option in today’s world.

• Kaco says:

Excellent post! I’ve watched Mike Rowe’s segment, too.

• Wend says:

Not everyone needs to go to law school or be a gender studies major.

• jeans2nd says:

fleporeblog, universities are diversifying. There are universities that offer 2, 4, and graduate programs. Would wager the Trump Administration knows this as well.

GSon is going to Univ of Northwestern Ohio, where he will finish w/a BS in Automotive Technology Supervision and an MBA. He will supervise and design high performance engines.

The 2-year degrees that are also offered graduate the techs and mechanics, including robotics, for the engines. IOW, they assist the design engineers with the “how-to” for the new designs.

The future for these kids looks bright. An added laugh – UNOH is in Jim Jordan’s district. Poor Jim Jordan.

13. unconqueredone says:

I look forward to a day when the uni-party attempts another run at some version of TPP only to find that all these bi-lateral trade agreements mean no one is interested except the lobbyists. Perhaps some of these bi-lateral agreements will even lock-out any easy possibility of such globalist deals for a time.

14. mikeyboo says:

Ross, Tillerson, Mulvaney: making the complex understandable! What a pleasure to listen to these people explain government and global affairs.

15. maiingankwe says:

I could listen to Secretary Commerce Ross for hours. He explains everything so easily. I would also love to have Sundance and a few of you here sit with Secretary Ross and ask him questions. Now that would be the ultimate learning experience for all of us. Aw heck, throw every single one of us in there, we’d do far better in asking questions than most of these so-called journalists.

If anything, I think Sundance and Secretary Ross having a sit down would be off the charts. Sundance understands the intricacies and details that go over some of our heads. We could learn so much from these two brilliant people.

Okay, that’s what I was thinking when I watched this. All I know is a few minutes shy of thirty is just not long enough when our Secretary Ross is speaking. I would love to hear more from him.

A few years ago, my eyes would’ve rolled to the back of my head if I was asked to watch this, now I just can’t get enough. Never knew learning this stuff would be so darn fun and on the edge of my seat listening to a Secretary of Commerce. I guess we all have skin in the game and that makes a yuuge difference, especially when we have one working in our favor.

Be well good Treepers,
    Ma’iingankwe

16. M33 says:

It’s funny.
    I never before even really knew or cared to know who filled what cabinet positions with previous Presidents.
    But with President Trump, his choice of people are so good, so smart, so knowledgeable, so competent, and so interesting to watch and listen to, I can’t help but know every single one of them.
    The saying is “it comes from the top down”, and this speaks volumes for the man we elected as our leader.
    So very very proud to have voted Trump!

• QuestGirl says:

I think it’s known as true and proper “transparency” in government and such a relief!!!

• jonvil says:

Ditto!
      In the past when I did pay attention it was because they came across as idiots…

• MVW says:

M33, what a super observation. When competent men and women are at the top and we have a chance to hear them speak it is a wonder. Obama appointees were fools and crooks, and prior administrations had crooks and fools.

• Wend says:

Did anyone see Neera Tanden on the clip after the AHCA passed the House? She was totally rocking a tailored sweater with blouse underneath with a beautiful Indian necklace. Wish I’d had the guts and vision to do that when I worked. In addition to everything else we have fashion role models!

17. heidi says:

Thanks for posting excellent Ross interview. I am so tired of leftist controlled media, whether “entertainment” or supposed “news” that constantly portrays Trump as some sort of demon. Steve Crowder had an excellent rebuttal to jimmy kimmel’s use of his son in his sob story monologue to bash Trump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXrwDPs4ohc

18. Swedishmeatball says:

Great interview! Sorry to sound stupid, but now I am getting to understand what each department does. It’s great to see all of these departments interact with each other to achieve the overall goal of the Trump administration! Glad to see successful, intelligent business men/women in this administration that know how to get things done and know what a deadline really means!

• Gil says:

Who wouldve thunk it, we would be so interested in our government again, generally speaking. And if we are this excited, imagine what the kids are seeing? My little patriot is totally into it.

• piper567 says:

Swedish, ^^^ the reason you may not have understood all of this before is that no one was interested in whether or not you understood it.
      TRUMP has always been a great teacher: how may political rallies of yesteryear centered on the importance of the SCOTUS nominees?
      What did we know about currency manipulation before TRUMP began talking about it?
      With this Cabinet, we have a chance of understanding these topics…a major tool in understanding how we have been taken to the cleaners by the pablum and deceitfulness of past Administrations.
      Knowledge is power, ha!

19. Cee says:

I absolutely love this man & what he represents for U.S. trade! I skipped a first-run movie and a broadway show tonight to watch The Wilburene for a half-hour on youtube; have to take off my tux & put it away. My night was better spent…..! Thank you Wilbur for forsaking wealthy-retirement for service to our nation in a complicated function few of your fellow Americans even understand or could handle…! God bless and protect you; there is reward in service… (Fmr. U.S. Army, E-4)