President Trump Honors Special-Ops Hero K9 “Conan”…

Earlier today President Trump, First Lady Melania and Vice-President Pence welcomed one of the heroes from the special-ops mission to kill/capture ISIS leader al Baghdadi.

“Conan” the special operations Belgian Malinois canine who helped track Baghdadi during the mission, and was wounded during the effort, was honored today at the White House.  [Video and Transcript below]

[Transcript] – THE PRESIDENT: Good morning. So this is Conan — right now, probably the world’s most famous dog. I don’t think — I have to use the word “probably.” And Conan is an incredible — it’s an incredible story. I learned a lot about this particular type of dog. And it’s trained that, if you open your mouths, you will be attacked. You want to be very, very careful.

But Conan came over from the Middle East — just arrived — with some of the great people from the Special Forces that did the incredible fl- — it was a flawless attack. And al-Baghdadi is gone. But that was a flawless attack. And I just met quite a few of them.

And we just gave Conan a medal and a plaque. And it’s really — and I actually think Conan knew exactly what was going on. But a dog that is very, very special and we could maybe say — Mike, come on over. Maybe you want to say something about the type of dog and —

They were going to put a muzzle on the dog and I thought that was a good idea, but then it gets even more violent, John. So I had a choice. But, no, the dog is incredible. Actually incredible. We spent some good time with it. And so brilliant, so smart — the way it was with the Special Forces people that it worked with. And for obvious reasons, they can’t be out in front of the media.

But they did a fantastic job. Conan did a fantastic job. And we’re very honored to have Conan here and to have given Conan a certificate and an award that we’re going to put up in the White House.

Mike, would you have something to day?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: It’s great to be here, Mr. President. I know you just finished a meeting with some of the very same Special Forces who completed the successful raid that took down the leader of ISIS.

But I recall, Mr. President, when you made the decision, right up there in White House.

THE PRESIDENT: Yep.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: The day before the raid, you had talked about measures that were available to protect our soldiers. And it had been described to us, about the fact that they had dogs that could go in, in the event that al-Baghdadi had on him an explosive vest — that you put the premium on the safety of our Special Forces.

And this dog was there; suffered some injury. We were able to complete the raid without any American casualty. And so I think having the Special Forces here today, who obviously can’t come out in the public, but also having this extraordinary dog here today is all a reflection of our armed forces and the great job that they do.

But Conan is really a hero. It’s really a — it’s a real joy to be able to help welcome him here to the White House with you.

THE PRESIDENT: It’s true. And Conan was very badly hurt, as you know. And they thought maybe was not going to recover. Recovered, actually very, quickly and has since gone on very important raids.

As you know, we captured 100 percent of the ISIS caliphate. When I took office, we had almost nothing. It was as though they were just forming again, and now it’s 100 percent. And we have done a lot of work since then. We have done a lot of work since the raid. Certain things have happened that are very important. So we’re in very good shape. We’re in very good shape.

We’ve had a lot of help, too, from other countries. We’ve had a — we’ve really done a job.

I just want to thank you all. So, this is a special time for Conan. And we really appreciate it. And I was told about the breed. I was told about Conan himself. And Conan is a tough cookie. And nobody is going to mess with Conan.

I asked one question. I said, “So, what chance, with Conan…” I got to see how fast Conan can move. I said, “What chance would a strong man have — really strong, tough, a fighter — what chance would this person have against Conan, without the guns? What chance?” And I guess the answer, pretty much, was “none.” He would have no chance. So, it’s amazing.

And yet, you see how beautiful and how calm, during a situation like this, is. And you’re very lucky he doesn’t — he’s not in a bad mood today, Jeff. (Laughter.) Not in a bad mood. You’re safe. Anyway.

So I want to thank you all. Thank you very much. And this is a great honor to have Conan here. A great honor to have the Special Forces here. They’re in the Oval Office.

Q Do you want to adopt the dog, Mr. President?

Q Is Conan retiring?

THE PRESIDENT: I love this dog. No, Conan is not retiring yet. Conan is primetime, age-wise. Primetime. I asked that question.

They go for about six years — like an athlete. Six years. They start — they like to get them at one and a half or two years old, and they’ll go for about six years from that time. After that, it happens where maybe the reflexes aren’t quite as good. You know, things like that happen. It would never happen to us. But the dog, primetime, is those six years after two. And they’re very special dogs. They’re very hard to get. This particular dog is — this is the ultimate fighter, ultimate everything.

Ultimate in terms of sniffing drugs. We have a — we’ve spent a tremendous amount of money on drug equipment at the border. And I was talking to the people, and I say, “Well, is there anything better than this equipment?” “No, sir. The only thing better is a dog.” A dog — this type of dog, exactly, because it’s a certain type of dog. And it’s pretty amazing. But they are really better.

We had a case where we had drugs in a — the cylinder of a car. And it was undetectable by this very expensive machinery, which is really amazing machinery. But still, it was undetectable. The dog came in — wah, jumped on the hood, pointing — you know. Opened the hood and knew exactly. It’s incredible, the sense of smell or whatever it may be — probably sense of smell.

So they’re incredible animals. And thank you all very much.

Q Do you have confidence in Mick Mulvaney, Mr. President?

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, I do. Yes. Of course.

Q Melania, do you want to adopt the dog for Barron?

THE FIRST LADY: No. (Laughter.)

END 12:44 P.M. EST

This entry was posted in Celebrations, Donald Trump, FLOTUS, Heros, Melania Trump, Mike pence, Military, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

133 Responses to President Trump Honors Special-Ops Hero K9 “Conan”…

1. BREAKING: Conan heard from a friend who overheard Trump on the phone saying he’d give him a dog biscuit if he’d bite Hunter Biden

2. Jenevive says:

From the video and pics I get the impression that POTUS
    and FLOTUS are not dog people…

3. vikingmom says:

Great story!! What a beautiful dog!

4. Sharon says:

Good dog!

5. wmingpt says:

Maybe Conan can corner Schiffless in the basement.

6. legtingle says:

I sure like VP Pence A LOT MORE now. Little things are interesting. I don’t care that POTUS and Melania are not ‘dog’ people. I, don’t care that much for cats, although I have one via a husband, and he’s a very nice cat. But Pence was nice with that dog today. Made an impression on me.

• mamajen says:

People here give him a hard time, but I really think he’s a good guy. He just seems to humbly and quietly go about the business that PT assigns to him without needing the spotlight. PT delegates some important work to him, and it makes me proud to hear about Pence following through–like the Turkey ceasefire, for example. Other recent VPs have very much been “personalities.”

• rvsueandcrew says:

President Trump was wise in his choice of VP Pence who has the right temperament and personality. VP Pence in a non-confrontational person with the quiet steadiness of a true Christian man.

Folks have suggested other choices, usually more forceful people. That would be a disaster. VP Pence has a clear understanding of the parameters of his role and he stays within them.

• JC says:

The Vice President is always dignified and well-spoken.

Enjoyed watching him pet Conan-the-Magnificent with just the right touch. Conan gently leaned into BP Pence in the sweetest, but most well-disciplined way. Gorgeous dog.

Conan behaved infinitely better than the press jackals ever have or did today. Would love to have a Belgian Malinois at all press briefings, including chopper pressers, with “You’re Fake News” as the attack command.

7. adagio54 says:

Melania’s laughing at President Trump’s joke was endearing. It was a joke, wasn’t it?

8. markone1blog says:

Unlike someone else of German extraction (Schiff), Conan certainly looks happy to be with Trump.

9. carterzest says:

I had heard Conan was a she….
    No matter…

#WOLVERINES

10. Servant says:

This highly trained dog is most likely very sensitive to human personalities as are many dogs …. he seems to be especially comfortable with Vice President Pence and seems to enjoy having Mr. Pence pet him. I think that speaks well of Mr. Pence’s character.

11. Michael Kunz says:

Gorgeous Dog, If Americans worked with her passion, the word would be a far better place.

12. Conan is smart than some Democrats,

13. I S says:

These would be great dogs in schools!!

14. jeans2nd says:

^^^^^What he said ^^^^^

15. fangdog says:

Some dog people are a pain the butt. They think you are supposed to love their dog as they do. They let their dog get physical all over you, run their nose up your crouch and when you push their dog away, they take umbrage.

Raised on a farm I had dogs all my life. They were “working” and “hunting” dogs as well as pets. However, they were not allowed to be a pain-in-the-a$$ to others and think its cute.

• RedBallExpress says:

My Blue Heeler “Bo” had pups in the shop and a good friend walked in. I caught her collar and she was spinning as fast as she could on the cement floor. Our friend thought it was really funny until I told him if her mickey mouse collar broke he was going to get the hell bit out of him.

It’s hard to believe how smart and tough cattle dogs are. I have seen a cow kick a dog 30 feet and they get up and put the cow in place right now. More than one farmer owes his life to a dog that stopped a bull. I miss every dog I ever had.

• margarite1 says:

WOW – I love reading your post!

• InAz says:

Twenty years ago we found a beautiful Border Collie in the hills….. starving, sick. We are convinced she was abandoned.
        She was a beautiful deep red and white.

She was a fantastic dog. We took in an abandoned cat that was about to have kittens. When the kittens started walking the Border Collie would “baby sit”…..she herded the kittens! She kept the kitties in line. LOL. The kittens loved the Border Collie. She also herded the chickens.

I miss every beautiful animal I had from childhood through today.

• Peoria Jones says:

Such a good remembrance, InAZ. I particularly admire the nurturing breeds. They’re so sensitive and human. Lovely creatures.

I’ve had both dogs and cats of this type. It’s so endearing to see them want to make a friend (or baby) of a species which could easily be prey. Nice pets!

• Derek Hagen says:

An awful lot of people don’t know how to raise dogs or children these days. It causes one hell of a lot of trouble.

16. jus wundrin says:

The islamic world has got to be seething over this. Dogs are haram in islam, and for one to help take out the evil bag-daddy is very humiliating to muslims. Im surprised fatwas havent been issued against Conan.

I also think thats why the president has mentioned Conan so many times and honored him. It sends a not so subtle message to the islamic world: do us harm, and we’ll sick the dogs on you.

17. susanphd says:

I heard/read/saw a photograph – that the military puts very sharp, titanium implanted teeth in some of their warrior dogs for a more lethal and crushing “bite.” Also prevents their teeth from breaking, etc. It’s not on all of the teeth, just the big sharp ones (the canine’s?)

I was trying to see if Conan had those implants, but couldn’t get a good enough close-up.

• JC says:

Looks to me that Conan does not sport titanium on his canines or any other teeth, susanphd. FWIW, Conan appears to be extremely well-cared-for; those are the cleanest, healthiest canine teeth and gums I’ve ever seen. Warms the cockles of my heart, it does.

• Despicable Me says:

Probably the three rooted canine carnassial teeth which are the shearing and crushing teeth

18. milktrader says:

My take away …

Pence isn’t an evil mole as I’ve suspected.

Dogs know.

19. Harry Nipples says:

I love the fact our President looks so calm standing next to a dog that could rip him to shreds and smile about it…Hoo Rah Mr President. Lets go get that biscuit now Conan, goood boooy…

20. Moi says:

I agree with those who point out that serious working dogs should be respected, not fussed over like they are lap dogs. The fact that Conan seemed to be smitten with Pence says nothing about whether President Trump is or isn’t fond of dogs (though it does make me think better of Pence). I consider any suggestion that President Trump doesn’t like dogs to be just more of the usual fake news.

Melania MAY not be real comfortable around dogs (or at least dogs trained to take people out), but notice how she also seems to avoid the Clydesdale horses at the Christmas tree delivery. My hunch is that she’s not real comfortable getting up close and personal with a variety of animals, not just dogs. For all we know, she could be highly allergic (plenty of people are very allergic to a variety of animals). If she were, she’s probably smart to keep it quiet since the wackos on the left would, no doubt, find a way to weaponize it.

As for our President’s feelings about dogs, does no one remember that for at least five years prior to taking office our VSGPDJT hosted the winner of the Westminster Kennel Club show at Trump Tower the day after the show? Easy internet searches pull up stories and pics of DJT with the Westminster winners, including some of him holding the smaller dogs. Hardly sounds like someone with an aversion to dogs. Or how about that one episode of one of his TV shows where he did some of the jobs of his hotel staff — including standing in as a dog walker?

I also recall our President saying in an interview that the reason they don’t have a dog is because they are too busy to properly care for one! Sounds responsible and sensible to me — unlike the behavior of some former occupants of the WH who got a dog or dogs as a PR move only to shift the responsibility for the care of said animals onto staff, i.e., the taxpayer ultimately foots the bill.

Remember who took care of Bill Clinton’s dog, “Buddy”? Yeah, the Secret Service. What happened to Buddy once Clinton left the WH? Hit by a car and killed. And don’t even get me started on the Kenyan who boasted about having once eaten dog meat. Still, since Moochelle, apparently, wanted a dog in the WH, she and the dog-eater were given two Portuguese Water Dogs. They were such responsible owners that one of their dogs ended up biting a friend of their daughter at the WH. On at least one occasion, taxpayers paid for a separate plane to fly the Kenyan’s dogs to where they were vacationing.

Sorry for the tirade, but I get a bit peeved at the suggestion that PDJT doesn’t like dogs because he didn’t get a dog once he moved into the White House. This is simply more baseless propaganda from leftists designed to make our president look bad to the public by insinuating that he doesn’t like “man’s best friend” or that dogs don’t like him. Utter nonsense.

21. Skippy says:

Conan’s handler seem to speak tough love German to him. Not that I mind. It was an interesting video in many ways and proud of our President, VP, Melenia, handler and Conan!

22. Crawler says:

Well shucks. It’s a shame Forked-Tongue Schiff wasn’t running around on the White House lawn with an “open mouth”. I don’t think think that blue leash on Conan would’ve held up.

23. Dixie says:

I’m a dog lover. The one pictured in my gravitar was special to me. He loved and protected me as I loved and protected and cared for him. He was not friendly to others….just me, but I could walk him off leash and he would never leave my side. 110 lb malamute, the love of my life. I miss him dreadfully.

24. Annie says:

Conan is a GOOD GIRL!!! loved the way she kept leaning into VP Pence..I suspect that Melania was not raised around dogs in her country and when she moved to NYC to work..she would not have had one most likely..as for the Clydesdales.. if you are not a horse person..like me..you would be cautious..they are huge…Conan will probably be “adopted” by her handler..you would not trust a warrior dog with anyone not schooled as a handler..way too dangerous..all in all, loved the whole visual..

25. Colorado Rich says:

Trolling the muzzies, I love your President!

26. Mark Clark says:

CNN Uncovers Evidence Hero Dog Sniffed Dozens Of Butts Back In College

27. Conservative_302 says:

I’ve am a dog lover and had beagles most of my life. Had to put down my 15 year old beagles two weeks ago. That was not easy, but it was time. I believe dogs are sent by God to be our guardian angles here on earth. Nothing surpasses the love and loyalty a dog has for its owner. God bless all working dogs. The save countless lives. I am glad and proud we have such a great president who appreciates the critical work they do. Conan is a good looking dog to boot.

28. wightmanfarm says:

Both of my kids had serious dog bites (one at age 3 & one at age 6), one by a german shepherd and one by a black lab. (serious as in losing teeth, punctures inside of mouth and ever so close to losing their eye, and many facial stitches). Needless to say, I am not a dog person. But both of my now grown children have dogs and love all dogs. I guess it traumatized me more than it did them.

29. Conan deserves prime rib dinner. Conan is wonderful!!!

30. As a dog person with my own big and scary looking but very sweet dog, I saw Conan approach Pence first and Pence was perfect. He extended his hand for the dog to sniff and the dog moved his head in for nuzzling and petting and only then did Pence gave it. I would never approach such a dog first but given the body language of the dog, Pence responded perfectly. As for Trump and Melania, I know many great folks, dog folks even, who eye my dog nervously and keep their distance. It indicates respect for the dog, not dislike.