Former U.S. Attorney Discusses “High Stakes” Within Flynn Legal Strategy….

Former Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrew McCarthy weighs in on the latest developments within the Michael Flynn case.   As McCarthy points out, if Judge Sullivan doesn’t accept the defense position of gross misconduct by the prosecution; and if Sullivan does not dismiss the case; Flynn could end up on a worse position than the prior plea agreement.

Additionally McCarthy discusses the potential risks present for John Brennan, James Clapper and James Comey; and then goes in to his perspective on the impeachment inquiry.

This entry was posted in 4th Amendment, 6th Amendment, AG Bill Barr, CIA, Conspiracy ?, Decepticons, Deep State, Dept Of Justice, Donald Trump, Election 2016, Election 2020, FBI, IG Report Comey, IG Report FISA Abuse, IG Report McCabe, Impeachment, Legislation, media bias, Notorious Liars, President Trump, Spygate, THE BIG UGLY, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

182 Responses to Former U.S. Attorney Discusses “High Stakes” Within Flynn Legal Strategy….

1. snellvillebob says:

From what I have seen of Sidney Powell, I would follow her advice.

• livefreeordieguy says:

I would too, Bob… My gut says Sidney and General Flynn will prevail… If they don’t, Sidney’s case exposes so much corruption it seems to scream pardon… This is whole thing is so disgusting…

• Rhoda R says:

There is so much smell about the gov’t case that any conviction will be instantly appealed. And probably be overturned.

• De Oppresso Liber says:

Exactly……and Judge Sullivan is being painted into a corner where any attempt to support this corrupt prosecution/persecution will show the whole world that he also is compromised/corrupt, like many other federal judges.

• OmegaManBlue says:

Do the other judges care? Why would he care then?

• Will Hunt says:

Unless we’ve been completely misinformed/misled on the actions of weasel weissman for sullivan not to dismiss the flynn case with prejudice he will have to twist himself into a pretzel while simultaneously covering his ears. Powell, I’m certain, has already prepared the appeal – she’s a smart cookie and knows who she is playing with.

• cali says:

@Will Hunt: Ditto – Sullivan himself was bamboozled by Weissman et al ergo to dismiss the serious allegation backed up with docs by the prosecutors would be a ill attempt to smooth over the malfeasance of Weissman et al.
              Sidney Powell has a fail safe case of criminal misconduct by the Mueller team.

What is even more disgusting is the fact that they entrapped PapaD in the same manner although in that case the Mifsud phones – if they are not wiped – will be the proof that Downer/Mifsud also used malice followed by malicious prosecution again by the same Mueller Weissman gang.

There is a pattern that goes back to the Enron case involving the same players/prosecutors using malice to get a conviction. While the verdict then was overturned the damage was done.

Then there is the Stephens case – same spiel – same method.

Its time that Weissman and gang are prosecuted themselves otherwise laws itself are rendered useless if they can be twisted, stretched and bent to fit their intended prosecutorial results.

• amazed treetopdownlooker says:

It’s long overdue…HIGH TIME… that VICEman & allied lawless-fare villains are executed for their treacherous ways; disbarment alone suffices not !

Since general Washington is not here to execute them himself, why not throw each &. every one of them 🐍🐍’s from the top of his monument…at high noon ?👊✊🏼👊✊🏼👊

Traitors beware !🇺🇸

• rondonmonson says:

The Judge knows if he allows this to go forth that Trump is going to give him a pardon anyway, so even if he is a biased twerp, he can only come out looking bad, if he allows this BS to continue on. I think he realizes if Powell can show this much evidence through “SOURCES” then Barr is going to blow this case out of the water.

• FrankieZee says:

Andrew McCarthy is part of the DEEP STATE. Don’t let him fool you.

• jeans2nd says:

McCarthy was a part of the Deep State, past tense. Now, McCarthy is just a wanna-be.

McCarthy’s problem is that he speaks from both sides of his mouth, and omits glaringly important details.
        Ever listen to McCarthy”s weekly podcasts? Ever hear McCarthy talk about his book?

Clips like this, comparing it to other places where McCarthy speaks, will convince you McCarthy remains a Never-Trumper and a die-hard elitist.
        Beware

• YvonneMarie says:

I agree !

• Chip Doctor says:

I don’t trust or like McCarthy a bit. Interesting that Rush thinks so highly of him.

Which brings me to another point. I used to think Rush was the total authority. But Sundance’s work has begun to change that. I found myself listening on Friday and thinking to myself “wow this guy is really uninformed”. Because of Sundance, I know things that he doesn’t.

I will never be a Rush or Hannity basher. They have been important voices. But much like they became an alternative to the MSM, so too have many great writers become an alternative to Rush and Hannity.

I am just glad that I have discovered that there is more out there than Fox and talk radio. No wonder I don’t watch TV much anymore. Too much good stuff to read.

• jbt says:

Totally agree – good comment!

• gary says:

as a heavy equipment operator for 40 years,i can tell you that the worst thing to happen to the left ,in this country,is caterpillar putting radios in equipment starting in the early 90’s. rush gave me a twenty five year education. along with thousand s of bother construction people,including union operators. rush is an icon. sundance will be,after this fiasco.

• livefreeordieguy says:

That is fabulous, Gary… I never considered the impact of radios in heavy equipment… My Dad — a lifelong Massachusetts JFK Democrat — got an education from Rush because the AM station Limbaugh was on was the only one that came in, static free, in the plant he worked in. Whatever it takes!

• Rgt says:

I agree. Reading the voluminous material on the Internet is difficult for working stiffs like me. Up early means going to bed early, not enough hours in the day to read all I would like to. I am able to listen to Rush 3 hours a day and he keeps me up on what is happening. I look forward to the noon hour everyday.

• flyoverfuji says:

Great comment.

• amazed treetop downlooker says:

BRAVO, Chip Doctor !
            Like you & many, very, VERY MANY, I suspect & HOPE, I am a grateful latecomer, slow to discover SD/CTH’s countless world class investigative exposition of the international would-be total overlord clique & minions that PATRIOTS worldwide WILL DEFEAT, GOOD LORD WILLING ! BUT…

…without this kind of shocking education, what chance would we ever have.

Immense gratitude & infinite kudos to Team SD are barely enough…THANK YOU SINCERELY, and PRESS ON, PATRIOTS 🇺🇸👏😎

• WVPatriot says:

jeans2nd…spot-on!

• Mike Van says:

I remember being warned by sundance that he was being used by the deep state as a tool to further their narrative. And his “sources” had an ulterior motive.

• TPW says:

Thats the way I feel about Sarah Carter…….Guess what Hannity gving Graham a platform does not look good at all….controlled?

• fabrabbit says:

Mike: I’ve been reading here for years and following Andy McCarthy occasionally. It’s apparently too deep for me to understand how McCarthy is a tool of DS. I don’t always like what he says -maybe he doesn’t like PDJT but at least he published the whole story. He’s an attorney and like any “good” attorney, he equivocates. I’d like to see our side be measured in our reactions to those who help get the truth out to the public.

• GB Bari says:

McCarthy was not at all convincing in this interview (that he is at all supportive of the President’s position). McCarthy looked a bit pained and seemed to be searching for words and replies that dampened down Davis Asman’s more Trump-supportive premises, statements and questions. I wanted to say “Show us the specific Quid Pro Quo, Andy, that you are declaring actually occurred.”

Deep State weasel, indeed.

• California Joe says:

I didn’t like any of the answers that Andrew McCarthy gave in interview. He was dancing on the head of a pin trying not to paint Brennan, Clapper and Comey as criminals. As soon as I saw that waffling I knew this guy was a fraud!

• You are 100% correct. He hates Trump. He was and probably still is a huge fan of Comey and Mueller.
        I read him but only so I get a negative take on the outrageous claims of Hannity, and others like him.

• Patsy says:

Never Trumper Andrew McCarthy, that’s all folks!

• fractionalexponent says:

Thanks to Sidney Powell’s work on the Flynn case, DOJ lead prosecutor in the Flynn case, Deborah Curtis bailed out of the DOJ on Sept 28, 2019.

• Perot Conservative says:

Were the 47 ha4d drives really part of “THE HAMMER” foreign survelliance system started years ago?

And this.

• fractionalexponent says:

Perot Conservative, thank you doing the research to keep us informed that yet another in the DOJ is a crook based on their own ” preponderence of evidence”. 🤪

• shirley49 says:

Her leaving should not exonerate the crime she was involved in. Jail her and Flynn should sue her.

• Jederman says:

Yes indeed. I agree whole heartedly. Simply quiting your job (fleeing the scene of the crime) and all is forgotten (until they’re re-hired by the next Lefty admin) is not how the rest of us experience life.

Without contrition and full cooperation with an investigation they haven’t paid the price they owe the taxpayer and a normal, moral society.

It’s been my opinion for some time now that the two tiered justice system has been one of the main elements leading our country down the drain. Us normal peeps have lost faith and trust in the system.

• amazed treetop downlooker says:

“TTJS” i.e., two-tiered just-us system, is like an insidious malignancy that is gradually, inexorably, killing it’s victim, the Republic of the USA.

It MUST be totally or near-totally eradicated if the “patient” is to have any chance of surviving! ASAP!

NO COMPROMISE will do !

• snellvillebob says:

I suspect Deborah Curtis saw Durham giving Durham subpoena and Grand Jury power and got the heck out of the way. From what I read today leads me to believe that Wray has canceled all the FBI redactions in the IG report. Also The DOJ will finally turn over all the Brady documents for Flint. If so, I hope President Trump reassigns Flint to his old job to help drain the swamp.

• California Joe says:

The interview with Andrew Mccarthy was a waste of broadcast air time. The guy spoke with words and said nothing except for the party line!

2. joeknuckles says:

I suspect AM would love to see Trump impeached and would do whatever he could to help achieve it IF he thought he could get away with it. For now, he’s being more subtle most of the time.

3. spoogels says:

LEE SMITH

Stefan Halper, who was identified by the Washington Post and the New York Times as the confidential human source who was sent to spy on the Trump campaign,” noted Smith. “Now, what Sydney Powell has found, is that he had a handler at the PENTAGON. So we’re talking about the DDOJ, we’re talking about the FBI, but we’re also talking about the PENTAGON. We are talking about a number of different agencies involved in targeting General Flynn.”

• GB Bari says:

Sundance explained that background many moons ago and illustrated perfectly why the Ozero administration working with the IC wanted Flynn politically “disappeared” via harassment and setting him up to entrap him..

It seems to me that a lot of current discussion around Flynn’s case omits the predicate for why he was put in hot water to begin with. There’s talk about the entrapment setup but rarely is there any mention the origins of the hate that drove Ozero and his Deep State Cronies to target the General.

• fractionalexponent says:

Evelyn Farkas was in DOD Pentagon.

4. spoogels says:

My take?
    IF Sullivan does-in the fact of what happened in the past with ENRON–as detailed by “Licensed to lie”. Sydney Powell’s book–I bet that sydney Powell has a book all lined up about this case if that happens
    She wont be kind to Judge Sullivan this time

• cboldt says:

She’s already let the DOJ know what she thinks of Sullivan, and it isn’t flattering to Sullivan.
      See page 2 of that letter.

• Firefly says:

Sidney did that intentionally. Well soon see the “fireworks” as Sidney points out. It will force Judge Sullivan to show his true colors.

If Sullivan stands by his Brady letter he will demand the documents be turned over. If the judge caves saying the plead deal dropped his Brady right as the prosecutors claim then Sidney will need to seriously consider dropping the plea deal. This puts Flynn in the best position. Sucking up to the judge like most lawyers advocate wouldn’t work.

Sidney put put Judge Sullivan’s integrity on the line. Hope Sullivan isn’t a coward and demands the prosecutors turn over the Brady material.

• TPW says:

She is very wise to not depend on Sullivan being an honest person…..covering her bases as well as going very public with details. will be hard for either Sullivan or Barr to not hand out Justice.

• Despicable Me says:

Sidney has apparently coauthored a new book with Harvey Silverglate entitled Conviction Machine due to be published in 2020 by Encounter Books. However amazon has it listed as a new release. Silverglate authored the book Three Felonies a Day in the 2000s.

5. Dances with Wolverines says:

Quite frankly, I do not trust the Judicial branch. Not sure we can trust anything about the corrupt U.S. government.

• I agree…it seems that Obama corrupted the whole government right up to the Supreme Court. I don’t trust the Supreme Court as long as Roberts is on it. I believe he is totally corrupted.

• sDee says:

The milestone I’d tie to Obama is rapid acceleration. The train’s long been rolling.

• Kent says:

Obama ‘played along’…he did as he was told…thus the ‘scandal free’ claim…..

• warrprin1 says:

Agreed, sDee. Started at least 2 decades ago, but Obama was able to accelerate the DS projects because no one ever had the guts to challenge the “1st black President” – on anything. Thank you so much, Do Nothing Congress. The big O (read zero if you like) absorbed this fact of 21st century politics early in his Administration. No wonder, while lamenting the end of his Administration, he had “the audacity” to illegally spy on Candidate, later President-Elect Trump. And thus, his minions continued to do so to President Trump. This was probably all blessed and signed-off on by the Jarrett-Obama crew in the Kalorama house basement.

As Rush is given to repeating, “they didn’t need to ask (permission to break the law), they knew what to do, and they did it”.

They still have far too many friends inside the system, willing to break laws, violate citizens’ rights, and lay siege to our Constitution.

I don’t know how we could have expected otherwise of an insiders’ cabal who managed to successfully deliver the ultimate Manchurian Candidate: for 2 TERMS. They just didn’t believe we’d ever get to the bottom of it. Courage, mes amis. It ain’t over yet, so everybody keep your socks pulled up for the next round.

• snellvillebob says:

I do not think obama is smart enough to corrupt the whole government but he allowed it to happen. I believe Hillary led the way with her personal crime cartel of Podesta, Blumenthal Abedin, Mills, and 300 others sucking off the Clinton Fund.

• warrprin1 says:

Neither forget nor minimize ValJar. We still have no idea what she actually did in her role as Advisor to the President.

• vikingmom says:

“Advisor to the President”

Maybe “handler” would be a better title – she was clearly the director behind everything that was happening. Obama simply went out and read whatever was put onto the Teleprompter (except when he went off script to talk about his favorite subject…”Me, me, me, I, I, I)

• Edwardo says:

Val Jar is a secret agent for the Ayatollahs

• grumpyqs says:

She was an Aide to Mayor Daley for years; meaning she ran the day to day Operations of Chicago intel, strong-arm tactics, money collection, bribes, elections of ALL politicians, federal grants and favors, CPUSA coordination, State over-sight, and making shit happen properly for the Boss! She knows a lot of people.

• grumpyqs says:

• TPW says:

At this point….it would be hard to imagine our President letting Obama off the hook. Not after what Obama did/allowed …..PT family has been in great danger….I just can;t see it …President Trump not getting his payback….don’t think he would hurt Obamas Family but to give OH a pass….no way.

• Bill says:

I think initially he would have let O off the hook if they let Trump serve unimpeded once he won. When they used their illegal spying to to created the special council and hamper Trumps first term as well as go after his kids, that was it. Trump is going to get him. Or go down swinging until the civil war goes from cold to hot.

• littleanniefannie says:

Obama wasn’t in politics long enough to know all the ways of the swamp. I doubt he would have trusted Hillary but ValJar came highly recommended by the Chicago machine. The Muslim in him made her ideologically appealing, this the Iran deal. Her control over Obama must have been massive for her to have a room or suite in his Kalorama house. It would be very interesting to learn who really paid for the Cape Cod House and whether it was bought to shut Michelle up and get her away from Kalorama.

• littleanniefannie says:

I believe he is totally corrupted compromised and therefore under their control. Thus the Obamacare vote. Had Kennedy voted with the liberals, Roberts would not have been exposed so soon. Kennedy crossed him up by recognizing that the mandate was illegal. Roberts “marbles” were in a vise and he had no choice but to go along. He needs to start voting for what is right constitutionally. He can be exposed by the right as well!

• WVPatriot says:

Dances with Wolverines….

From 1993 (clintons/Janet reno) — 2019 …. I am still waiting for confirmation that we ought to trust them.

• joshashland says:

So swampy
      When you drain the swamp the creatures become exposed.
      It doesn’t get rid of the amphibians
      The ones who have been there long enough to live on land and water.

• Toenail says:

Exactly! Obama may get the blame but a lot of the slimy ones were predisposed to love the swamp. The only way for the country to get a reprieve is for some of the creatures to get hard time.

• III% says:

If it was JUST under Obama it would be easy. Sadly it has been long term…..very long term.

• GP says:

The whole “establishmnt” cannot be trusted. I mean how could you? THIS will either signal the tide is turning or we willl gwt more delays. My bet is on more delays

• YvonneMarie says:

Trump is a big part of the U S government now.
      Do not forget it.

• Raptors2020 says:

When they’re all out to get him? Explain please? It’s like saying Bernie Madoff’s a big part of the Government, because they’re going to feed and house him, until he dies.

• YeahYouRight says:

I think all these FISA database searches were run on the Supremes and other judges and members of Congress to blackmail them into taking bizarre positions, or into retiring. That’s what obama was up to.

By any means necessary.

• California Joe says:

Sullivan has had plenty of opportunities to shut down the DOJ attorneys on this case but hasn’t. He’s not a white hat unless he’s forced into a corner.

• shirley49 says:

I don’t and will not for a very long time

6. cboldt says:

Worse position? I wouldn’t let this judge sentence me. Worst case is Flynn withdraws his guilty plea and takes his chances with a jury.

• trumpsbamagirl says:

I agree! But can he still do that?

• cboldt says:

He can withdraw his guilty plea if he shows a fair and just reason. I don’t know the exact drop dead event for that, but I would expect a motion should the case not be booted or dropped.
        Sullivan as much as offered withdrawal, as he drew near to imposing sentence a few months back. Sentencing was delayed because the associated trial was still underway.

• Normally Quiet Observer says:

@trumpsbamagirl …Yes. He can still do that. However, as someone mentioned in an earlier post … if he does so he invalidates his current plea agreement where the government would not go after him, or HIS FAMILY, for other related charges. If he voids the plea agreement (by withdrawing his plea of guilty) … watch for him and his family to be indicted for every little thing they can get on them! Make no mistake there ARE still Deep State hold overs in the DOJ, FBI, State Dept., etc., who are still Obozo’s lackeys, and they would do so in a heartbeat! O is still PO’d that Flynn stood against him on ME foreign policy, and made it publically known. THAT is why he personally was targeted, and charged. Flynn’s charges were ALL about O’s Revenge!

• littleanniefannie says:

SDNY. That place needs to be cleared out yesterday! Old Preet has been working in concert with Weasel Weissmann since PTrump gave him the boot. Wonder if Preet’s fingerprints showed up near Epstein’s cell??

• Joshua2415 says:

There is a Trump pardon and potentially an NSC job waiting for General Flynn when all of this is said and done. He has nothing to lose, and potentially everything to gain.

• Austin Holdout says:

The judge would still be in charge of sentencing if a jury found Flynn guilty of any crimes.

7. Rachel Guess says:

Sidney Powell is doing an outstanding job for General Flynn! With the new emails I have seen over the past 24 hours, she won’t have any problem showing that mueller hit squad withheld exculpatory Brady evidence from him, so Judge Sullivan shouldn’t have any problem tossing the case.

• scrap1ron says:

Unless his Honor has skeletons in his closet that the coup plotters will threaten to expose if he doesn’t cooperate.

• vikingmom says:

Judge Sullivan presided over the totally flawed government case against Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska…when he found out how badly they had mishandled evidence and withheld documents from the Defense he was absolutely furious! I am hoping that his prior experience in that case will cause him to maintain a very healthy level of skepticism of the Government’s case this time around!

• littleanniefannie says:

His radar should go up with anything Weissmann. Obviously it didn’t!

• botchedcasuality says:

I have been concerned about the Judges mental acuity, remember when he railed at Flynn something like “you should be ashamed of yourself”? It appeared he had not read the brief or worse didn’t comprehend it?

• Rachel Guess says:

botchedcasualty,

I remember that as well. Judge Sullivan also later apologized for it. Anyone can have a bad day now and again, especially when you have muellers little drone squad demons whispering in your ear, trying to prod a quick decision on the case for political reasons, desperately trying to cover up their malfeasance so that the issues would quickly be forgotten. Plus handling a high profile case is very stressful.

As of yet, I have not seen anything to indicate that Judge Sullivan slants his opinions based on any political ideology, and I am hoping that his decision in this case doesn’t change my mind. In a couple of weeks we will know for certain. Until it is shown to the contrary, I still believe that Judge Sullivan is one of the good guys.

• Rhoda R says:

You’d think he would have tossed the case by now given all the crap that Ms. Powell has dug up on how DOJ handled this case.

• California Joe says:

Exactly, Rhoda! I’m not expecting much of anything out of Sullivan.

• Rachel Guess says:

RhodaR,

Judge Sullivan’s job is not to judge the DOJ, it is to judge the case in front of him in which General Flynn is the defendant. Unless and until proven otherwise, that would be the focus of any good judge, until malfeasance is clearly shown.

I don’t think there can be any denying that the mueller hit squad withheld Brady material at this point because the emails that have been released in the last couple of days show it clearly. As Sidney Powell says, I wouldn’t want to be in the prosecution’s shoes when Judge Sullivan issues his decision on it. We will only have to wait a couple of weeks to see the decision, after all it was Judge Sullivan himself that ordered the Brady review after contreras, strzok’s bff, was forcibly recused just prior to sentencing, which was extremely unusual. I am looking forward to Judge Sullivan’s decision on the matter, and have high hopes that he will dismiss the case against General Flynn in it’s entirety.

• WSB says:

Judge Sullivan held off on rectifying that case until it was too late for Stevens. Then they killed him in a plane crash.

• scrap1ron says:

I hope and pray you are correct. However, I’m at the point where I trust no one in our government. I’ve observed how cons work up close and personal after 33+ years working as a CO in prisons. People get hooked into doing minor illegal infractions, then get drawn in deeper as they try to prevent being exposed.

• OmegaManBlue says:

Or Orange Man Bad to him.

• franz dorn says:

If the Judge is pressed to the mat he will deny Flynn and sentence him harshly. I believe he is also a Pontius Pilate type character and will allow Flynn to withdraw his plea and allow a DC jury to convict him. Sydney needs to keep the case alive and to continue to inflict damage to the Deep State if Flynn agrees to that.

Judge Sullivan is the establishment and will protect the establishment. Powell is no less a lawyer if the judge rules against her.

The DC juries may go rogue or woke on Durham. We can only pray that he uses his utmost skill.

• California Joe says:

You can bet that Durham’s prosecution team will have a gorgeous Black female Assistant US Attorney at the trial!

• dwpender says:

IF Flynn withdraws his plea, and there is a trial on the “lying to investigators” charge, the prosecution’s key witnesses are Strozk and Pientka, the interviewing agents. DOJ MUST call these 2 to the stand, or they have no case.

My guess is that either or both would take the 5th. If either fails to do so, Sydney’s cross-examination would be devastating.

8. Burma Shave says:

So Gen. Flynn is risking the loss of goodwill from the prosecutors? In the words of Count Floyd, “Bery, bery scary, indeed!”

9. Margaret Berger says:

Since we are talking about roberts, and judges, a girl can hope that roberts and the first judge in the Flynn case get caught up in the fisa abuse and dumped at the very least.

10. Russ says:

I often learn things from McCarthy, but that was 10 minutes of nothing right there.

11. Reserved55 says:

ICO was the original #alwayshillary.

Mc. agrees with Assman when Assman says there is no impeachment inquiry because no vote and later Mc. says there is in fact an impeachment inquiry.

ICO is and will remain #alwayshillary (#alwayscommunist).

*A* communist pig from Commiefornia cannot impeach a President.

12. Lactantius says:

Adam Smith pondered about “justice” and determined that “justice is working out how to live with others without doing harm.” He declared: “Justice is the minimal standard for a cohesive society.”

The government and its secrets and rank and order is either judged by the minimal standard of justice or it isn’t. If it isn’t, then what is done to the people in the name of “justice” is based on who is doing it and some amorphous logic concerning “beneficence.” However, beneficence is a purely arbitrary term and is not required in a cohesive society.

The concept of justice has long been contorted to subsume justice in the name of betterment or “higher” justice. Therefore, it has been corrupted by tricks of rhetoric and politics.

Have agents using the powers of government to manipulate the due process rights of General Flynn overstepped the safeguards of protecting a cohesive society? Forget the “higher purpose” for the acts by the agents of the government. They are meaningless.

• MNcarrypermitholder says:

Working all the way through Wealth of Nations was a chore. I’ve got a copy of Lectures on Jurisprudence, which is where, if I recall from my skimming, your Smith quotes came from. Have you read it? Is it worth the slog?

• Lactantius says:

Instead of the slog, I suggest James R. Otteson’s fine survey in the journal: Social Philosophy and Policy, volume 34, Issue 1, Summer 2017 – Cambridge University Press. In many cases, Smith is often more “accessible” when you let others do the slogging. Justice was to be Smith’s third get study, but he ran out of life before he could get to it.

13. RJ says:

Gee, I’m sorry, I fell asleep as McCarty did his talking. For a big shot lawyer he sure doesn’t seem to understand how to present his thoughts for the television cameras…so I left.

• TarsTarkas says:

McCarthy makes a lot of sense at times and seems to be very much in favor of the rule of law but at other times he seems to be willfully bind or ignorant. He of all people should understand that what Schiff & Co aren’t issuing ‘real’ subpoenas.

14. Dekester says:

McCarthy IMO is a fraud. We see him on the occasional Fox show and he is a snake, he is a clever snake, but a snake.

He is quick to denigrate PDJT, and would relish any PDJT impeachment.

PDJT has the people, just look at the response PDJT got at the Black college posted downthread.

Could one imagine McCarthy, a Bush or Romney addressing that audience?

Stay safe, and God bless PDJT

15. foodog says:

Remember that CIA and FBI have long been in competition for rice bowls, and with little love lost between them. Until 9/11 the Counterintel division of FBI was where the losers and incompetent were housed until retirement, and apparently it hasn’t improved much, except with fools packed in by loyalty to Obama, just as he and Holder packed the Civil Rights Division of the DoJ.

So its no wonder that the tools Strzok and Page were clueless as to sources of leaks and intel from CIA until far along, and even then, unaware of how they were being set up. Brennan is a snake, but not THAT clever- see Bob Baers books- the CIA turned into desk jockey political lackeys running the show, vs the field operators, and look at Morell spinelessness agreeing to rewrite the Memo saying a YouTube did it.

Flynn and DIA were direct threats to Obama and Brennan and Clapper- thats why they did him in, using NSA take, and FBI as cover for FISAgate.

Now the CIA is lawyering up. I wonder what Gina Haspel is up to, supposedly a protege of Brennan.

Trump REALLY needs someone working for him who knows how it all operates- lets hope he has found someone- pretty disappointed in Bolton frankly for being such a baby quitting when he didnt get his way. Maybe ADM Rogers…as a consultant, through some cutouts, and retired DIA.

We’ll see- its a big knife fight now in DC over who is gonna get this pinned on them- Wray seems WAY over his head, but Barr knows the ropes, and Durham too. I guess it all depends on the deal struck.

• GP says:

Hi foodog-there has either already been a deal struck and all this is just kubacki theatre-or they are in the process of making a deal. The problem is everyone in the DS has a chip or 2 or 3 to play. Sorting all those chips out is complicated…whose chips are valid, ranking the importance of the chips, chip swapping, etc. IMO the DS will have to back off the impeachment farce, and then try to steal the 2020 election.

It’s a high-noon face off, no doubt about it. This one is for all the marbles

• Kent says:

…an enlightening post, foo….

lots of enlightenment by many here tonight….

16. Chewbarkah says:

Long ago, Judge Sullivan said that he would not be party to sentencing an innocent person. Sullivan ordered the FBI to produce ALL exculpatory evidence to him. Powell makes clear that they have not. Powell’s most recent pleading shows that the FBI and DoJ had material animus against Trump and wished to destroy Flynn. She shows that critical evidence was altered, and that the original 302 presented Flynn as not lying. The “representing Turkey” crap has been rejected in the trial of Flynn’s partner. She also asserts that his legal counsel at the time of the plea bargain had “unwaivable” conflicts that required them to leave the case, meaning that Flynn’s representation was defective. Powell made all the public, so there is no hiding from it.

There is always a risk, but Sullivan has so much material to show that this was a brutal abuse of power by the federal government that he cannot pretend it away. I can’t see any way he does not reverse the existing verdict on the plea. If he’s a man, he’ll dismiss the case and censure the feds.

• Newhere says:

Exactly, ALL TRUE and well summarized. And as you point out, the public part is integral. No hiding, or pretending it away (and no indication that Judge Sullivan would want to, in any case; in fact he seems to have practically been goading Flynn’s defense to make the appropriate motions to the court that would allow him to fix things). I note in my comment below — What McCarthy said is generically true about the strategy, but he doesn’t seem to be up to speed on the specific facts. It’s an audacious motion, but wholly appropriate and well-executed.

17. Newhere says:

Andrew McCarthy has provided helpful analysis on technical legal substance and procedure throughout — for example, he accurately deconstructed the fatal deficiencies with Special Counsel appointment from the beginning, and kept careful track of the wrongful conflation of criminal and counter-intel investigating activity. He’s also correct as a general matter that once you’ve secured a plea, it’s a high stakes strategy in the 11th hour to seek dismissal for misconduct, OR to withdraw the plea, for that matter. All true.

THAT SAID —

This reminds me of those months at the early stages of this whole saga, when Andrew McCarthy was failing to grasp the magnitude of malfeasance related to the investigation of Trump — relying on his own prior experience with how FBI/DOJ operates — suspecting that surely the Steele Dossier couldn’t be a total sham if it was submitted to the FISA court, because the FBI just doesn’t do that.

Then he FINALLY read the Strozk/Page texts (months after Sundance and readers here), and he changed his tune entirely. I’m guessing he hasn’t done a deep dive on Sidney Powell’s findings and the surrounding facts. When he mentions the “shock the conscience” standard, his tone is one of foreboding, like the defense might be out over its skis — just like he thought critics were out over their skis calling the Steele Dossier a total fabrication.

My guess is he’ll eventually catch up.

One thing McCarthy doesn’t actually address is an issue that has floated around in comment threads here: whether a dismissal strategy precludes plea withdrawal, or how all that would work. Powell has said at least once (probably more) that plea withdrawal isn’t off the table, which I interpret to mean that it’s Plan B. I can’t imagine Sidney would be reckless about preserving options, so I assume if this strategy doesn’t work, there’ll be an opportunity to withdraw.

But really — try to imagine a world world where a plea withdrawal actually happens, and Flynn is back where he was — accused of a bunch of crap, evidence for which is crumbling by the second. Is DOJ going to prosecute any of this? For starters, it would then have to hand over this whole mess of evidence it doesn’t want to hand over. All of its witnesses are totally discredited (Strozk, Page, McCabe, Comey, etc., and not just notionally — but in IG reports). And another judge already set aside a verdict on FARA for Flynn’s associate. Really, it’s a mess for the government if Flynn withdraws, because what are they going to do. Right now, the ONLY fact covering their total mess of an investigation/prosecution is Flynn’s plea; take that away, and all you’ve got is an emperor with no clothes.

The DOJ is in a total pickle, any way you slice it. I hadn’t fully gamed it out — but let’s just say the judge doesn’t dismiss; Flynn withdraws his plea, and then what? The evidentiary problems don’t go away and they’re left presumably to try General Flynn … for what exactly?

I still think DOJ is going to withdraw the charges at some point, to spare the embarrassment of a rebuke by Judge Sullivan. Maybe they’ll get through the hearing, hoping for the best, but abort before a ruling comes out.

• fractionalexponent says:

If it drags out into a trial, it will give Sidney Powell more time to dredge up more corruption and drive more lawyers out of the DOJ.

• lydia00 says:

Excellent analysis. Why do I get the feeling the DoJ will find a third way to save face? And the judge will help them?

This case has bigger implications to the entire strategy to bring down Trump. Frame up. Guilty plea to stop the abuse and blackmail. Now exculpatory evidence that was suppressed. This will say a lot about our country’s future.

Judges are pretty much untouchable but they also don’t like books written about their malfeasance for future legacy.

• Newhere says:

Looking back, the time for Judge Sullivan to help the DOJ would have been back in December 2018, right before Gen. Flynn replaced his counsel and was (apparently) resigned to accepting a sentence; recall that Judge Sullivan intoned the magnitude of what Gen. Flynn was assenting to, the legacy he was accepting (I believe the word “treason” was invoked), and the swamp exploded with glee, and Gen. Flynn suddenly asked for a continuance and promptly replaced his counsel.

That exchange was widely interpreted as Judge Sullivan was drinking DOJ’s kool-aid — but in fact hindsight may show that he was doing quite the opposite, by blowing up the last chance that Flynn would accept his treatment and all the corruption would be swept away. Who knows whether Gen. Flynn would have hired Sidney Powell in any case — but that exchange marked the pivot.

Would things have been different, had Judge Sullivan quietly gone along with the ruse and handed down a light sentence to General Flynn? We can’t know. But after that, Sidney Powell was on board, and with what she’s brought forth, I’m not sure there’s anyway for the judge to help the prosecutors. In fact one might reasonably guess he was waiting for the defense to get off the mat.

18. Kleen says:

The legend Sidney Powell has a source inside the deep state

She has been receiving good information from someone. Who gave her info about Mifsud’s phone data and the new texts?

This someone may have a lot more to share.

McCarthy is swamp. I don’t trust him.

If what she already has out there is not enough to dismiss this case than there’s no hope for this country.

It was clearly entrapment. It’s documented.

• WVPatriot says:

Entrapment and pure revenge to silence General Flynn (former Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency — DIA).

Evil is trying to destroy a true American Patriot, his family, and the United States of America

19. Mike says:

Regardless of your opinion of McCarthy,

General Flynn, thanks to Sydney Powell, Sundance, and a handful of other patriots, now knows that he was set up by a bunch of dishonest, treasonous rats.

Rather than taking the deal offered by the rats, = plead guilty = no prison = no persecution/prosecution of your son…

General Flynn has chosen, as McCarthy points out, with considerable personal risk, TO FIGHT FOR HIS COUNTRY. Like a soldier.

God bless him. We need to support him, and his go-fund-me.

On a side note I would love to see General Flynn get 5 minutes alone in a closed room with Weissmann, Comey, and especially McCabe.

Does that make me a bad person?

• Tall Texan says:

No Mike, it doesn’t make you a bad person. It makes you a person who wants to see our Department of “Justice” experience more justice than it has experienced in 20+ years.

• Mike says:

I imagine General Flynn, using his training and his skill, would drop McCabe in like 5 seconds.

Being an American Warrior, General Flynn would then stop, take a defensive stance, and let McCabe cry “uncle,” after which General Flynn would call for medical assistance for McCabe.

Then repeat the same for Comey.

I see Weissmann confronted by General Flynn, drop to the fetal position, piss himself, and beg for mercy.

General Flynn would show more mercy by far, than was given him, and much more than Weissmann deserves.

Just my opinion.

• WVPatriot says:

Tall Texan,

I mentally phrased a similar response as yours; however, being Saturday night a good fight seems absolutely appropriate. I am buying a round of Pabst Blue Ribbon on the house.

• WVPatriot says:

Not in my book…do I get to watch?!!

20. Akindole says:

On a daily basis, particularly with routine afternoon call-ins to Hannity’s radio show and regular nightly appearances on the Tick Tock rank-and-file hour, you can monitor McCarthy turning into Andrew Napolitano.

The next thing you know Brit Hume will have to correct him about something he either omits or misses entirely.

21. ezgoer says:

I have it on good authority that Andy McCarthy sleeps in a Jeb Bush for President T-shirt. He’s GOPe and establishment swamp. Why does anyone put credence in his views?

• Tall Texan says:

ezgoer – my sources are better and they tell me it is not a Jeb Bush for President t-shirt that he sleeps in, but Jeb Bush for President bed sheets…

22. coolmamie says:

Just out of curiosity, if only one person was going to go down for all of this, who would you prefer: Brennan, Clapper, Comey, Sztrok or Weissman?

23. k4jjj says:

This is not a legal process any American should live with. The objective is always to do “justice.” Nobody reading all of this could come to any conclusion this has been justice.

I believe we have reached a point where this country is not worth preserving if a bunch of crooked and vindictive government lawyers can crucify a military hero and suffer no consequences.

What are we preserving? Who are we kidding?

Do you want your children to fight and perhaps die to defend a nation this fundamentally corrupt?

McCarthy is a disgusting excuse for a human being to make these outrageous arguments.

Here is the bottom line: Judges have a moral duty not to condone injustice.

24. paulashley says:

While I don’t see McCarthy as a die-hard Never-Trumper, I must admit he’s been a disappointment of late. Early on in the Mueller probe he was pointing out the complete legal invalidity of the probe, certainly one of the only vouces of reason at NRO. But soon i could tell he was conflicted about turning on his colleagues, about having to admit they had gone far off the reservation. This is in total contrast to other former prosecutors like Giuliani and DeGenova, who want the truth and don’t care who it offends or alienates. Too bad, because McCarthy is, at heart I think, on the right, non-corrupt, side.

25. mtg50 says:

Andy McCarthy was a defender of Patrick Fitzgerald, James Comey and Robert Mueller. He also was an anti-Trump National Review writer. He views himself as a top legal mind and street smart. He is neither. Even now, as he tries to play catch-up, he can’t bring himself to viewing these people as the snakes they are,

26. ATheoK says:

“As McCarthy points out, if Judge Sullivan doesn’t accept the defense position of gross misconduct by the prosecution; and if Sullivan does not dismiss the case; Flynn could end up on a worse position than the prior plea agreement.”

Yes and No.
    Powell has successfully introduced the nefarious ugly underpinnings to Mueller’s and Weissmann’s prosecutorial misbehavior, intent and methods.

Any appeals by the defendants does not have the hurdle of introducing new testimony before an appellate court.
    If the current judge rules against Flynn, all appeals of the judges decision can focus on relevant points of law, precedence, and prosecutorial abuses.

Ms. Powell has thoroughly shaken the courtroom during this trial’s final moments and she has successfully introduced necessary information regarding prosecutorial misbehavior and malignant intent.
    That topic, information and internal details will now be carried forward through all appeals until an appellate court or SCOTUS is unafraid of dismissing charges, finding the prosecutors in contempt and that the prosecutors likely committed perjury and broken a number of Constitutional law, Amendments and court precedents.

27. Why is Sullivan being so Wishy Washy???

• Guyski says:

Because the odds are 50/50? Really don’t have much respect and quite skeptical of the talking heads. It’s like being in a committee. You have a large chunk of the people that aren’t committed to the committee. They kind if just dissappear. 😉 But, if the committee fails, they will show up to tell you everthing that you did wrong. If it is a success they will be first in line to claim responsibility.

28. Lydia says:

It really boils down to whether Sullivan is a just and courageous judge. McCarthy has always been a deep state guy struggling to believe his hero’s are thugs. I am at a loss as to why he is used as an expert so much. He is also ridiculously one sided on the Ukraine call situation. From day one of trumps presidency, McCarthy has dug through the pile of manure thrown at us looking for the gem that will prove Trump is bad.

29. lydia00 says:

I have another angle. McCarthy most likely knows Flynn’s former attorneys and thinks they are honorable. McCarthy would probably have handled the Flynn case like they did.

One thing is true: Flynn IS taking a chance there is an honorable person left on DC.

30. I think that Flynn is absolutely correct to follow Powell’s lead on this, and that he will prevail.

Through dogged and persistent investigation, Powell has clearly discovered that Flynn’s sixth amendment rights were trampled: “to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor.” Instead of providing to the defense and acknowledging to the Court that they possessed exculpatory evidence, they purposely misled everyone. And that, my friends, is a frame-up job … expressly unconstitutional.

31. lydia00 says:

Don’t forget the fact that Sydney Powell is not popular with swampy guys like McCarthy. In fact, right now, she is making them look bad simply for doing her job and having more courage than they could ever muster.

32. Leon0112 says:

If Sullivan holds the prosecutors in contempt, Barr can fire them and declassify all of the information requested by Powell. I suspect Barr is feeding Powell information so that he can defeat Wray and crew in the battle over declassification. What better way than a court order to provide the information. Hence, Sullivan is under immense pressure from both sides.

33. Harlan says:

Even if Sullivan rules against, wouldn’t this open up a whole new series of possible appeals?

34. oldfireman says:

Well folks, I’m no investigate journalist, but for some time, I have know something was not quite right. How could Chief Justice Roberts “flip” and support ObamaCare?
    I had always suspected that he and many retiring republicans were forced to go away quietly. We are loosing our Country and cant understand why…

I have not read all the back stories and included links, but I think THIS MAY BE IT!
    People smarter than I should dig in and see if this is the real truth (as I suspect).

Sundance, if you have not seen…

35. 8675310 says:

This begs the question, if Barr is the champion of the fight against the deep state usurpation of our government functioning that he claims he is, “Why hasn’t he stopped this?. The answer to the question, and the preceding illusion, may be found in his acceptance of the Epstein death as a suicide, rather than the murder that the evidence, leaked by the ME, proves that it was.