Lou Dobbs Interviews Wilbur Ross on Tariff’s Targeting China…

Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross appears on Lou Dobbs show to discuss the ongoing trade initiatives against China and the issues of intellectual property theft.

Additionally, CNBC is reporting on possible retaliatory trade action by China in response:

CNBC – China’s commerce ministry proposed a list of 128 U.S. products as potential retaliation targets, according to a statement on its website posted Friday morning.

The U.S. goods, which had an import value of $3 billion in 2017, include wine, fresh fruit, dried fruit and nuts, steel pipes, modified ethanol, and ginseng, the ministry said. Those products could see a 15 percent duty, while a 25 percent tariff could be imposed on U.S. pork and recycled aluminum goods, according to the statement.

The statement did not go into greater detail. U.S. agricultural products, particularly soybeans, have been flagged as the biggest area of potential retaliation by Chinese President Xi Jinping’s administration.  (read more)

Wait, China bought out Smithfield Foods, the U.S. #1 pork producer, back in 2013.  So big panda is going to tax themselves…. priceless.

And, as we have mentioned, China purchases a tremendous amount of our steel and aluminum products for recycling into their own finished products.  A 25% tariff on U.S. aluminum recycles would mean increased aluminum remains available within the U.S. for our own manufacturing – at a lower price.  Another win.

This entry was posted in China, Economy, media bias, President Trump, propaganda, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, US dept of agriculture, US Treasury, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to Lou Dobbs Interviews Wilbur Ross on Tariff’s Targeting China…

1. fleporeblog says:

• backwoodsgirl123 says:

Back in the 90’s, our craft industry was booming! People from China used to come here with their cameras and take photos of hand-stitched quilts with unique designs created by the quilter.

Those designs would show up on the market in a couple of months, sold for 1/4 the price of what was available at the craft shows and JC Penny, Dollar General, Walmart and Sears were selling these imported copies dirt cheap!

The same went for a lot of other crafts and then they got into the craft supply business and literally crashed our markets!

Michael’s Arts & Crafts put my mother out of business and a lot of other mom and pop craft supply stores. Ben Franklin’s Crafts Supplies and Mae’s Fabrics went under because of it. I think there is only 1 Ben Franklin’s left.

For you younger people that weren’t old enough to remember, Cottage Industries were the backbone of our economy. There were those small businesses that became a regular business and then there were those stay at home mom’s and grandma’s on Social Security that used to make extra money using what was left from the Cutting Rooms of the clothing manufacturing here in the USA.

My neighbor, Ruthie’s Mother was blind and deaf and she created some of the most beautiful crocheted rugs from those cutting rooms. When I was a little girl I used to go up there and help her rip the strips before they were stitched together. And I used to watch her for hours. I thought it was an honor when she allowed me to thread some of her needles! I was in awe of her! A completely blind woman hand sewing fabric strips together and then crocheting rugs out of them and they lasted forever!

When new cutting rooms opened up in the USA, the NWO Globalists dipped their hand in that basket, too! They pushed for recycling the fabric leftovers instead of selling them!

In fact, the NWO Globalists have pretty much taken just about everything that could be used by poor people and pushed to have it recycled.

I wish we had enough time to reverse this trend. Cottage Industries might not ever make a comeback!

• USMCLt says:

Another US industry that was systematically destroyed by Globalists, was the hardwood veneer industry. Hardwood veneers are, or were, used in the manufacture of high end furniture and paneling. 50 years ago most veneer mills were relatively small, family owned companies. The effort to wipe them out began with unfettered log exports, which served to run up the prices of raw materials. Then came OSHA, which worked hand in glove with the unions to further chip away at these small manufacturing companies. The onerous EPA regulations and a strong influx of German investment (Globalists?) teamed up to put the final nail in the coffin in the 90s.
        Now millennials buy junk foreign made furniture at big box stores, all of which will find it’s way to American landfills within 10 years, only to be replaced by more junk. I suspect there are many more similar stories about other small US industries.

• SUPy’all says:

I work in the arts, exhibiting at street art shows. There are many of my colleagues who are tickled that PDJT and his team are going after China for intellectual property theft. Allowing China and others to get away with this theft has hurt or destroyed businesses of every size. Thanks BWgirl for highlighting this.

• soozword says:

Good, wouldn’t expect a lot of the art community to have voted for Trump in 2016. Sounds like another demographic niche that looks promising going forward.

• Guillermo Maguire says:

It’s worth a look at what Amazon in conjunction with Chinese copiers have done to an American veteran, owner of the Opsol mini clip. The story is on his website. Amazon acts as an agent for the copiers, taking over established Amazon sites and peddling copies….

• backwoodsgirl123 says:

I used to be involved in the Craft Shows and stuff.

You are welcome!

• no-nonsense-nancy says:

Backwoodsgirl123, I remember the fabric stores that my mother and I used to shop at for material, as we made our own clothes. We bought remnants and could make quality clothes very reasonably. I used to make prom gowns for my daughters and their friends and I would go from one fabric store to another buying the materials I needed. I had my favorites. Now it is all Joann Fabrics and there is no choice anymore. i hate monopolies. And only half the store is yard goods, the rest is crafts. I used to dream of owning a little fabric store myself and making clothes for people on the side. That is a thing of he past.

• G. Combs says:

And the fabric now IS CRAP!

I make my own saddle pads and I can not get any good fake fur. If you hold up the stuff from China you can SEE through it!!! Luckily the last time we were up in the Boston MA area we went to a mill end store and I bought $400.00 worth of fake fur.

The same goes for good rope. Try finding decent polyester or nylon rope. It is generally braided with a garbage (literally) fill. When I went to melt the ends to prevent unraveling it stunk and caught on fire instead of melting. Now I have to buy high end climbing rope and even with that climbers and cavers are warning about ‘Look-a-Like’ Chinese crap rope that uses the same patterns.

I used to buy my harnes/tack fittings from MAST. They made a lot of their own snaps and buckles but OSHA/EPA drove them out of business. Now Weaver sells Chinese crap that breaks or doesn’t work. Heck I have a bandaid on my thumb from where I sliced it open on a snap with a very sharp bit of flashing.

I really really had Chinese made junk.

• Mary Wilson says:

It is so good to hear others saying this! Fabric and notions are mostly junk these days. I miss the American textile mills–the corduroy, velveteen, cotton knits—were wonderful. Cotton yarns were just lovely as they moved through your hands, as were the wools. Today’s stuff from overseas would make better rope.

• backwoodsgirl123 says:

I believe things are about to get bad, but only God knows!

• Orville R. Bacher says:

backwoodsgirl123
        A few Americans, corporate and political, got very rich selling out America to China. The know-how, unique skills, and entrepreneurial methods were sent free to China, at the threat of non-payment of wages to the Americans that were forced to educate the Chinese.
        Washington still has politicians, paid with dirty money, to remain blind, deaf, and mute to what has happened, even to this day.
        It is a great CRIME. And no one has yet paid the price for this treason. Yes, treason- the weakening of America, while building up an enemy.

• G. Combs says:

VERY MUCH TREASON!

Bill Clinton was BRIBED by China to allow the sale of military secrets INCLUDING NUCLEAR AND MISSILE GUIDANCE TECHNOLOGY!!! And this was not that long after sanctions were put on China for The Tiananmen Square Massacre of 1989.
          link

Yet Billy Boy was not impeached and indicted by our treasonous Congress.

• Didn’t Clinton also “give” the Chinese a port in California so that they could import whatever (including weaponry?) while bypassing customs? How were these actions, along with Uranium One, not considered Treason & addressed immediately???

• backwoodsgirl123 says:

There’s a youtube video titled, “Death by China”.

• Honeybee says:

Backwoodsgirl, this is the first time I have seen this discussed, but it is SO true. Artisans and craftspeople have been severely impacted. I earned a living from my mosaic craft work and selling mosaic supplies for years but on several occasions was surprised to see my original designs being manufactured in China and offered in the marketplace. Gradually they overtook the lions share of the medium and cheapened its appreciation for the craft. There was no way I could compete with the low prices they offered, as it wouldn’t cover materials or my labor.

• Nice article. Very informative about cottage industries. (Note: plurals do not require apostrophes.)

• Carrie2 says:

backwoodsgirl, and never forget we had the greatest shoemakers here and I would dearly love for them to come back. Quality, correct sizing, long lasting,and beautiful. Had a Jewish relative closing down his shoemaker company because of “outside the USA companies become the “shoemakers”. I can feel sure that many other small companies had to close down, but hopefully now we will see them come back and better than ever as we real Americans want to buy again “Made in the USA” as we did when I was growing up.

• backwoodsgirl123 says:

I hope and pray so!

• auntiefran413 says:

St. Louis was home to so many shoe companies — Johansen and Brown come to mind, but I know there were others — that we were known for “shoes and booze”. Two of the big breweries are gone — Griesedieck and Falstaff; but Anheuser-Busch is still here even though now owned by a Belgian company.. I don’t like beer of any kind, but I’ve been told that it just doesn’t taste the same any more. The bean counters?

Does anyone remember buying double-last shoes — a AA at the ball of the foot and a AAAA at the heel? Johansen made those and they were sooooo comfortable! I suppose those are a thing of the past, too. Sad…

• You are reminding me of what my grandmothers did, both having lived through The Depression, & living by the Homemaker’s Motto “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!” They both used fabric scraps, or clothing that was beyond wearable, & made braided fabric rugs. They sewed the braids together into large oval coils & those floor coverings were virtually indestructible. I think there are also a couple of patchwork quilts lying around that have historical clothing as their basis–true family treasures & representative of a virtual lost art–& time…

• Charlie says:

Synopsis missed the take down of paid/controlled congress. Members bought and paid for will have a reckoning. How sweet.

• Carrie2 says:

babai97, and may I say that our President thinks like the great Chinese from their past and so they will come around because it will be necessary for them to cooperate with America. By doing so, neither country will truly lose. With China, Russia and America, the world hopefully will start to shape up and clean up the nasties who have either overtaken them or have owned them by military power. God’s planet needs this to happen so I have prayed for it to take place during Trump’s terms in the WH.

2. wheatietoo says:

This was a Great Interview!
    Every second of it…great.

Wilburine, talking about our President:
    “As you know, he takes his promises very seriously…and has a repeated history of honoring them.”

Love it.

And Lou saying that “We have been in a trade war in this country, for decades!”
    Thank you, Lou!

Only problem with this interview…is that it was too short.
    Heheh. Short, but sweet.

• fleporeblog says:

Love Wilburine referring to the forgotten men and women as “Mr. and Mrs. America”

• wheatietoo says:

I also loved that he talked about…Patents.

If we enforced our US Patents, Fle, there would be a ton of Imports that would slapped with Patent Infringement Suits.

Other countries, mainly China…rip off our Patents, manufacture cheap imitations…and then sell them back into our country!
        With no penalties!

• fleporeblog says:

Just amazing and sad how much our government has tried to destroy us since Reagan.

• suejeanne1 says:

another example is Obama and his “Cash for Clunkers” program having an impact on the second-hand parts industry.

• & even on those of us who would go to junk yards to pull parts to work on older cars, as a way to save money. My husband has taught one of our 20-something sons this fine “art” of survival…

• suejeanne1 says:

My Mom and Dad were married in 1948 and she remembers going to a place on Raymond Avenue (she thinks) in Pasadena, to get parts Dad wanted – then of course, one of the essentials of their early days church mouse budget was keeping the welding tank filled to work on all those things

• G. Combs says:

I hate to tell you fleporeblog but Reagan was the start thanks to his allowing the Hostile Takeover/Leveraged Buyout feeding frenzy that wiped out our AMERICAN OWNED DEBT FREE midsize companies.
            …..
            “…A leveraged buyout (or LBO, or highly-leveraged transaction (HLT), or “bootstrap” transaction) occurs when an investor, typically financial sponsor, acquires a controlling interest in a company’s equity and where a significant percentage of the purchase price is financed through leverage (borrowing). The assets of the acquired company are used as collateral for the borrowed capital, sometimes with assets of the acquiring company. Typically, leveraged buyout uses a combination of various debt instruments from bank and debt capital markets…

The leveraged buyout boom of the 1980s was conceived by a number of corporate financiers, most notably Jerome Kohlberg, Jr. and later his protégé Henry Kravis. Working for Bear Stearns at the time, Kohlberg and Kravis, along with Kravis’ cousin George Roberts, began a series of what they described as “bootstrap” investments…” — WIKI Leveraged_buyout

Where the heck was CONGRESS. Where the heck were the COURTS when this was going on???
            “…Both economic and regulatory factors combined to spur the explosion in large takeovers and, in turn, large LBOs. The three regulatory factors were the Reagan administration’s relatively laissez-faire policies on antitrust and securities laws, which allowed mergers the government would have challenged in earlier years; the 1982 Supreme Court decision striking down state antitakeover laws (which were resurrected with great effectiveness in the late eighties); and deregulation of many industries, which prompted restructurings and mergers. The main economic factor was the development of the original-issue high-yield debt instrument. The so-called “junk bond” innovation, pioneered by Michael Milken of Drexel Burnham, provided many hostile bidders and LBO firms with the enormous amounts of capital needed to finance multi-billion-dollar deals….” http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc1/TakeoversandLeveragedBuyouts.html

So what did the US government do about this highly unethical practices???
            ..In January 1982, former US Secretary of the Treasury William Simon and a group of investors acquired Gibson Greetings, a producer of greeting cards, for $80 million, of which only $1 million was rumored to have been contributed by the investors. By mid-1983, just sixteen months after the original deal, Gibson completed a $290 million IPO and Simon made approximately $66 million.[9] The success of the Gibson Greetings investment attracted the attention of the wider media to the nascent boom in leveraged buyouts.[10] Between 1979 and 1989, it was estimated that there were over 2,000 leveraged buyouts valued in excess of $250 billion…..— WIKI
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leveraged_buyout [/ex]

A US Secretary of the Treasury started the sellout of our economy. Reagan through his laissez faire attitude did nothing to stop it.
            “…Both economic and regulatory factors combined to spur the explosion in large takeovers and, in turn, large LBOs. The three regulatory factors were the Reagan administration’s relatively laissez-faire policies on antitrust and securities laws, which allowed mergers the government would have challenged in earlier years; the 1982 Supreme Court decision striking down state antitakeover laws (which were resurrected with great effectiveness in the late eighties); and deregulation of many industries, which prompted restructurings and mergers. The main economic factor was the development of the original-issue high-yield debt instrument. The so-called “junk bond” innovation, pioneered by Michael Milken of Drexel Burnham, provided many hostile bidders and LBO firms with the enormous amounts of capital needed to finance multi-billion-dollar deals….” (wwwDOT)econlib.org/library/Enc1/TakeoversandLeveragedBuyouts.html

Without intervention greed took over.
            “Corporate takeovers became a prominent feature of the American business landscape during the seventies and eighties. A hostile takeover usually involves a public tender offer—a public offer of a specific price, usually at a substantial premium over the prevailing market price, good for a limited period, for a substantial percentage of the target firm’s stock. Unlike a merger, which requires the approval of the target firm’s board of directors as well as voting approval of the stockholders, a tender offer can provide voting control to the bidding firm without the approval of the target’s management and directors…..

Because it allows bidders to seek control directly from shareholders—by going “over the heads” of target management—the tender offer is the most powerful weapon available to the hostile bidder. … Although hostile bidders still need a formal merger to gain total control of the target’s assets, this is easily accomplished once the bidder has purchased a majority of voting stock.

Hostile tender offers have been around for decades, but they were rare and generally involved small target firms until the midseventies. Then came the highly controversial multibillion-dollar hostile takeovers of very recognizable public companies. By the late eighties there were dozens of multi-billion-dollar takeovers and their cousins, leveraged buyouts (LBOs). The largest acquisition ever was the $25 billion buyout of RJR Nabisco by Kolberg Kravis and Roberts in 1989. [Editor’s note: this was written in 1992.] …. (wwwDOT)econlib.org/library/Enc1/TakeoversandLeveragedBuyouts.html

This is the result of the 1980’s leveraged buyout feeding frenzy.

“Of mergers and acquisitions each costing $1 million or more, there were just 10 in 1970; in 1980, there were 94; in 1986, there were 346. A third of such deals in the 1980’s were hostile. The 1980’s also saw a wave of giant leveraged buyouts. Mergers, acquisitions and L.B.O.’s, which had accounted for less than 5 percent of the profits of Wall Street brokerage houses in 1978, ballooned into an estimated 50 percent of profits by 1988…

THROUGH ALL THIS, THE HISTORIC RELATIONSHIP between product and paper has been turned upside down. Investment bankers no longer think of themselves as working for the corporations with which they do business. These days, corporations seem to exist for the investment bankers…. In fact, investment banks are replacing the publicly held industrial corporations as the largest and most powerful economic institutions in America….

THERE ARE SIGNS THAT A VICIOUS spiral has begun, as each corporate player seeks to improve its standard of living at the expense of another’s.

Corporate raiders transfer to themselves, and other shareholders, part of the income of employees by forcing the latter to agree to lower wages.”
            January 29, 1989 New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/1989/01/29/magazine/leveraged-buyouts-american-pays-the-price.html?sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

America has been quietly sold off piece by piece. This is a sampling of the industries with over 50% foreign ownership, according to Source Watch several years ago (wwwDOT)sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Foreign_ownership_of_U.S._corporations
            * Sound recording industries – 97%
            * Plastics and rubber products manufacturing – 52%
            * Other insurance related activities – 51%
            * Boiler, tank, and shipping container – 50%
            * Glass and glass product – 48%
            * Coal mining – 48% “

• Pam says:

You know what that tells you? Wilburine knows they are getting under the skins of the globalists on Wall Street. 😉

3. lokiscout says:

Yeah, I caught the recycled aluminum bit. Had to read it twice to be sure my dyslexia wasn’t playing tricks on me again!

4. Edith Wenzel says:

Your reaction is quite different than the ‘high foreheads’ at say Cato Institute for example. They see this whole tariff thing as a disaster for America and have predicted doom and gloom. Media commentators (I don’t consider most to be at the highest level of intellect – always with exceptions)have even more to say about disaster unfolding ten fold. It seems no one waits to hear the final outcome of any discussions they just take snippets and make it into something they would like people to believe. I think it is called propaganda spreading.

5. Curry Worsham says:

[Waves back at Panda]
    Confucius say: Man who plant tree in neighbor’s orchard may have to pay for own apples.

6. Marygrace Powers says:

“President Trump takes his promises very, very seriously. He has a repeated history
    of honoring them. Today was just another chapter in that regard.” Wilber Ross

7. AH_C says:

So many chicken liddles, so many “free trade” nuts to crack. Get em, Wilburine.

8. MVW says:

Reciprocal, how quick is the question?

Bolton won’t leak to the Chinese. Did McMaster?

9. trump2016ourlastchance says:

We have allowed the uniparty traitors to sell out our working class for over 40 years. No wonder that the US inflation-adjusted median per capita income is flat during the same time period.

10. Emperor Xi is going to hit American products that we receive _$3 Billion_ for??? And we bought _$370+Billion_ from them?!?!?!?
    The Chinese economy needs our money more than we need theirs. Ya think?
    I don’t see much clothing on the Emperor.

11. graphiclucidity says:

China owns Smithfield now?
    I had no idea!

God knows I love their hams and bacon.

Major quandary.
    Buy it, knowing it’s American pork, don’t buy it, knowing profits go to China.

Ack.

12. Kenji says:

Hey! I have an idea! How about we sell all that (newly excess); pork, wine, fruit, nuts and dried fruit and nuts to Venezuela!? I hear THOSE Socialists are very, very, hungry these days.

You know … when God closes a door, he usually opens a window. 🤣

• soozword says:

So they then get very obese elites to hog all the food for themselves and leave the other 99% of the population starving, just like in Africa.

• Kenji says:

Well then we will air-drop hams across the countryside to keep the military from seizing the goods. Oh wait. How do we then charge the government for our goods? It would take planeloads filled with pallets of Bolivars. Hmmm … OK … I’ll work on another option. Maybe we can trade hogs for oil in Africa?

13. GB Bari says:

It’s still a new experience trying to get used to a President, or any politician, who actually tries and succeeds at accomplishing goals he promised in his campaign. I have been waiting 40 years to see Chinese products replaced by American goods.

14. TeaForAll says:

America Is Back. America First
    Fair and Balanced Trade,
    I say Bring it On. China will regret their actions

15. wodiej says:

China will hurt more from our tariffs then we will from theirs. Fruit, wine, nuts? LOL, maybe California but not the US as a whole. We see time and time again why God sent Donald Trump to fix this mess. He’s one of the few businessmen who still believe in America.

16. Larry Bucar says:

“Wait, China bought out Smithfield Foods, the U.S. #1 pork producer, back in 2013. So big panda is going to tax themselves…. priceless.” hahaahahaha

17. suejeanne1 says:

At the back of my head, hearing of threats from China and pro-Chinese/anti-American allies in this, I am hearing, thinking of snippets from Gavin de Becker’s fantastic book, “The Gift of Fear” . . . so many analogies to all of this.

When someone is threatening you if you DON’T go along with them in their effort to move you to another location, fight like hell . . . it may be your last chance. Yell, scream, make a lot of noise, yell “fire” (instead of “help”). It’s only going to get much worse.

Listen to your instincts that God gave you for your own protection and for the protection of those dependent upon you.

(I am going to go on my Kindle and re-read that book – I remember so much about it from interviews Mr. de Becker gave on talk shows but I think it is time to re-read the book.)

• suejeanne1 says:

just occurred to me . . . is the purchase or free-reading of books on Kindle affecting the second-hand book industry . . . I was always a dedicated buyer of second-hand books and then when I just got too many, running out of space, would take them back to the second-hand book stores or donate them to the local library’s book sale.

• soozword says:

Use your local library. If they don’t offer the book you are interested in, fill out their request form to have the library purchase it. It also helps educate those libbie librarians. I don’t use Kindle downloads much because I do most of my reading before bed and electronic screens give me insomnia.

• unconqueredone says:

OT, I’ve always been a techie, but this is important to know (not just kids either):

• suejeanne1 says:

soozword, the ironic thing is that the author prefaced the Kindle version by extolling the benefits of publishing in that format – starting off with the fact that you don’t have to go out in your car to get it plus no use of paper, ink, binding.

It occurs to me that he seems oblivious the erasure of an entire industry but of course in his type of work, he probably feels that his prospects are unaffected by the demise of everything connected to the industry of book-printing in America.

I am complicit as well, using my Kindle – but libraries aren’t what they used to be (they aren’t even quiet, no discipline) – it gets me so upset to go to libraries anymore (though I did go to a knitting group last year).

18. unconqueredone says:

Trump didn’t start the trade war with China- it’s been ongoing for a very long time. Trump just called them out and is attempting to do something about it.