Earlier today President Trump held a roundtable discussion on school safety with federal and local officials, state attorneys general, law enforcement, education officials and administration officials within the healthcare and mental health field.

The topic is overall school safety in the aftermath of the Parkland Florida school shooting. Many ideas are common sense and surround identifying ‘at risk’ behaviors, and changing the downstream processes when law enforcement intercedes with an individual exhibiting unstable behavior.

The U.S. mainstream media are exhibiting signs of frustration because the prudent and thoughtful responsiveness of the White House is not allowing POTUS Trump’s political opposition enough fuel to create antagonistic narrative.  One of the topics the President Trump has focused on is ‘hardening schools’ through stronger security to include empowering trained school officials to carry concealed firearms.

This entry was posted in 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment, 4th Amendment, 6th Amendment, A New America, AG Jeff Sessions, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Death Threats, Dem Hypocrisy, Dept Of Justice, Education, Election 2018, FBI, Jeff Sessions, Legislation, media bias, Police action, President Trump, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

366 Responses to Common Sense as a Priority – President Trump Hosts White House Roundtable Discussion on School Safety…

1. The Jimmy Jack says:

I’m shocked I’m not seeing more here about the proposal of raising the age to 21. It’s outrageous and unacceptable.

This was in Trump’s own tweet so it’s not a misunderstanding or fake news.

One of the reasons we have an unparalleled military is due to our gun culture. Kids grow up shooting young. This has resulted in superior marksmanship and confidence with handling firearms. This is strategically important and a safe guard for anyone who serves in our armed forces.

If you are of age to be drafted you should be able to buy and own a long gun. Period. And I don’t give a flying flip what the drinking age is. If anything that needs to be dropped to conscription age as well for the same reason. That was another federal power grab for our safety that states fell in line with in exchange for money. Stupid.

Furthermore hunting is still a subsistence lifestyle for many Americans. Taking away these weapons from adults disables them from feeding their families. Again, another attack on independence.

No how no way will I ever support this 21 year old gun control proposal.

• SteveC says:

One of the reasons the voting age was lowered to 18 was because you could go to war for this country.
      I’m fine with the other proposals, but 21 for a rifle is wrong. Rifles are used (not responsible for!) in around 3% of the crimes associated with firearms.
      The AR-15 is the most popular, commonly sold rifle in America. It’s not like it was in the 1960s and 1970s where people looked at you like you were nuts for owning one. Kids as young as 10 and 12 play 3-gun using the AR-15.
      We should not be allowing the media (the same FAKE NEWS media) to dictate policy.

I wonder how many deaths are attributable to the illegal aliens in this country. I have every expectation that it is far more than are caused by rifles, yet we can’t restrict them.

2. thedoc00 says:

I have to give the president, Liz MacDonald on Fox Business and President of the NRA as the only people I heard today actually address the real issues, which most people do not want to address. They had the courage to suggest there real answers lay with solutions that actually preclude the shooter for deciding to even legally or illegally obtain a weapon and decide to act. Those solutions involve addressing a damage social environment and medical issues. Most are just looking at the point where the attacker arrives in the target area but the real answers lay in precluding that moment, while hardened target options are implemented in the vain of the last line of defense when all else fails.

3. PaulM says:

The “mental health” criteria can open a very ugly can of worms if it’s left up to the states to decide the criteria. I could see the first question on a mental health exam in California being “Has the applicant ever exibited any conservative tendencies?
    I haven’t had to do the background check in quite some time because I have a concealed carry and in NV that exempts you but as I recall even the federal transfer form that gets filled out with every sale asks about mental/addiction/etc.
    I could see the states making a mandatory mental exam into a real money maker.

4. stats guy says:

as usual the President has forced the left to tell the truth about their worldview

HuffPo
    And some studies have found clear benefits of having cops in schools, as these schools are more likely to have emergency crisis plans in place and receive regular safety inspections. But these benefits come at a steep price ― one that could disproportionately impact black and brown students who are already more likely to face overly harsh discipline.

One study found that schools with police are more likely to refer students to outside law enforcement for a range of behaviors ― including offenses that are more minor, like vandalism. Another study found that schools with cops had more school arrests for minor misbehaviors like disorderly conduct.

So there you go. If its a choice between an occasional massacre and the business as usual leftist dream of outcome equality…well, easy choice if you are a leftist. Vile people.

• PGlenn says:

I’m glad that you read HuffPo so we didn’t have to. This “argument” underscores the perversity and rote irrationality of Cultural Marxism.

• Blacksmith8 says:

I’m stunned not surprised that some of my ‘betters’ actually refer to kids and ‘black and brown’.

Stunned not surprised.

5. gymcy81 says:

An “app”? Per FL. AG Bondi in the video, approx. 3 minutes.
    Have you thought that through?

There are already false accusations, without follow through due process.
    Have you heard of the “swatting” ploy (where innocent people are killed by a Swat team – that someone nefarious sent them to)

Other than hearsay (maybe the accuser is deranged?) what reliable check and balance would be in place to prevent someone from becoming (wrongly) motivated to be strapping a straight jacket onto olive oil, or dale evans, … or roy rogers…the (misconstrued) innocent?

Watch out….

imho
    I do not know

p.s.
    instilling some fortitude
    (maybe he / she was assigned a school by the bosses, because, that job was usually, easy)
    within that on duty officer (or the next one, and the next) that cowered for 3-4 minutes outside of the school while shooting was occurring, and / or supplementing the self-defense with others, inside of an unsafe “gun free zone” would nip the problem in the bud (still about 15 years late). Cost-effective, effective, safe, easy to implement legal “self-defense”, it can be discrete, and there are plenty of volunteers (with fortitude, and virtues) and that are willing to help others, on the spot. [while knowing that, just the self-defense presence,
    would get most lone, cowardice, evils to not make the bad choice, and avoid a confrontation….and choose peace. ]

p.s.t.
    that mentally soft ‘peace’ officer being there does not provide good vibes that the current upper mushy, security management, people have an ability, or the proper gauge, to truly vet whom, or what, is a good fit for that school, self-defense, situation.

So…
    instead of waiting for some bureaucratic, delayed policy change(s) or act of Congress, …
    quietly, are some personnel in schools already upping their self-defense?
    (no need to answer. concealment is good, in more ways than one…to be able to (potentially) help others…
    …while the longer, time consuming, parallel track to improve / restore the culture, and public safety gets an uplift and restoration
    (while sustaining and equally upholding the First, Second etc. Amendments of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.).

Love thy neighbors
    Matthew 22

6. Boots says:

Armed University of Texas Students Shoot Back At Clock Tower Gunman Charles Whitman,
    ~And~
    How Armed Civilian Allen Crum Ascended Tower And Shot It Out With Whitman
    ————————————————————————————————————————————

Aug 1, 1966, Excerpt
    ——————————-
    Bob Higley, a junior at the time, and his friend Clif Drummond, who was student body president, carried 18-year-old Paul Sonntag to a car after Sonntag was shot in the mouth along Guadalupe Street. (Sonntag later died.) During the chaos, Higley said he saw two other men nearby, likely students, hiding behind trees. One was holding ammunition. The other was firing a rifle at the tower.

“They had gone to their trucks, they got their shells and they were opening fire,” Higley recalled.

Many on campus that day have similar stories. Forrest Preece, who was stuck in a drugstore on Guadalupe Street, said he remembers seeing two students running across the porch of their fraternity house carrying rifles. During a hearing on the state’s campus carry law in 2015, state Sen. Charles Schwertner, R-Georgetown, said police told his father, a student at the time, to use his rifle to fire at Whitman.

No one managed to hit Whitman, though. The tower provided a safe, comfortable perch.

• Blacksmith8 says:

But the police gave full credit to those helpful student rifles. Without them shooting and keeping his head down, the police wouldn’t have been able to get to the building and go up and get him.

btw: It’s not that different around here today.

You go off your meds and start shooting kids, you better hope the cops get to you first.

7. maiingankwe says:

I’m sorry, but I’m not happy with our President Trump right now. I am 100% against changing the age of lawfully buying a firearm of 18 to 21.

Let me use my personal experiences and knowledge to explain. First, I was raised in a hunting family. We grew up on wild game, fish and vegetables from our large garden. It’s how we kept our bellies full through good times and bad.

I’ve been trying to teach this to our daughter and have taken her out small game hunting. I had to take a pause of a few years because she doesn’t stop talking. Drove me nuts. However, she’s been begging me to give her another shot, so next year it is.

A few days ago we were talking about the shooting at the school. One of her first questions was, “Now that it’s warming up, can we go target practicing again?” She also said, she’d feel a lot safer in school knowing teachers were armed and/or security.

It won’t be long before she’s old enough to go to college, and when she goes, I’d like her to be armed. For one, she’s a heck of a shot, and two, I know she has her head screwed on right and three, I want her to be safe. She is already the proud of owner of two firearms, and I’m sure by the time she is an adult, she will have more. My husband and I would definitely invest in a good handgun for her to go to college with.

However, if the age laws change, she won’t be able to carry a firearm or purchase one, and I don’t like that at all. I’d like for her to buy ammo, so she can replenish her stock after practice as well.

We’ve all heard the same argument of taking away our rights only hurts law abiding citizens. My daughter is a law abiding citizen and she and millions of others will be affected by this utter ignorance. Does anyone seriously believe that a 16 year old who wants to just kill a bunch of people will be thrwarted by this law? I sure as heck don’t. All it will do is make my daughter a target and a possible victim. I don’t like that, not one bit.

As I mentioned, my daughter is a heck of a marksman. It won’t be long before she surpasses me or my husband. Plus we teach her how to use shotguns, rifles and an array of handguns of different caliber. She’s so good I’ve wanted her to get into competition. She’d smoke those boys. Easy.

My husband and I drill into her gun safety all the time. She can repeat back verbatim. It’s also one of our funest family outings. We love to all go target practicing and shooting all our different targets, balloons, expired eggs and more targets. It really is a great family outing. The three of us get along great and every time we go, we just make that many more memories. I don’t want to be taking her out knowing we are doing something illegal because the way things are going it won’t be long until it is illegal.

I could go on with more arguments, but we’ve pretty much all heard of them before. I just want my daughter to be safe when she’s hundred if not thousands of miles away. I can’t always be there to protect her, so it’s my job to teach her. And if she was ever in a life threatening circumstance, I know with the years of training from her dad and I, she would be alright. In a year or two we will be training her to shoot in a stressful environment with adrenaline going in her body. This will ensure she stays calm if she is ever in a bad situation or as calm as possible. Hitting a non-moving target from the same distance over and over is not good enough. The first time I tried, I hit the bad guy in the ear and all I would’ve done was tick him off. It’s not easy to shoot when you have adrenaline pumping through your veins. However, once you learn with a great deal of practice it will ensure a better outcome in a bad situation and that’s what I want for my daughter.

• I think this is one of his give aways in the negotiation. He knows that it is governed by State Law. Art of the Deal. Plus, when Dems start pushing 16 yr old voting age, he can say but if they are too young for guns etc.

• Beenthere says:

I understand where you are coming from but unfortunately you are a dying breed. Hunting is not as popular as it once was, too many rules and regs and a smaller and smaller hunting season are created to discourage the casual hunter (& now governments are doing to it for recreational fishing.). Nor is it necessary to hunt for survival.

As to your daughter going away to college, there are many ways for her to protect herself instead of using a gun. Before 2 of my daughters went away to college they were both given advice on how to protect & inflict damage from my husband’s 2 retired Navy SEALS’ partners. Gave them confidence to hang out in Baltimore and Jersey City.

• maiingankwe says:

I actually taught my daughter some protective moves two nights ago. She was real happy to learn and caught on quick.

I didn’t realize this before I typed the post, but one has to be 21 to own a handgun. I will double check that to see if it is in all states. If that was so, I’d make sure she took her rifle to keep in her home.

There are people who still rely on hunting, we call them subsistence hunters up here in Alaska. They live in villages where there are no roads to different towns and such. They don’t have a grocery store like Safeway or Freddie’s or anything like that. A small store is all and it’s expensive. So hunting is very important for them. I cannot imagine them surviving without their subsistence hunting and fishing. Not where they live.

I almost made it to three years living only on wildgame and fish except if I was in a restaurant. It was the healthiest I’ve ever been and would love to be able to return to it. A moose lasts our family two years, and that includes giving meat away. I’d rather eat moose than a cow any day of the week.

We weren’t lucky this year, so I have to buy meat from the store and dang is it expensive. Wow. $8 a pound for lean 96% meat is nuts. I only buy it on sale and then in bulk.

I just want my daughter safe and have an advantage with a handgun. I trust her with one, and I don’t trust easy. If the law is already 21, than so be it, however, if it’s 18, it’s worth fighting for in my opinion.

I’m hoping our President is just playing with them, I will just keep a close and eye and see along with writing a few letters. I hope I am completely wrong, and he is just playing the Art Of The Deal.

They haven’t changed the hunting regs in my area, not yet anyways. Hunters are the best conservationists in my opinion and I don’t know of any game wardens that want to see our wildlife die of starvation. I will ask friends in different states to see if they’ve changed theirs. I understand it’s not the game wardens who make the laws, only enforce them, but I would think they’d make a yuuge stink with the hunters.
        Thanks for your help
        Be well,
        Ma’iingankwe

• Ken says:

My daughter is still in middle school but her Daddy(yours truly) and Grandpa have taught her a few things. Her Grandpa is a retired Marine and even though he’s in his early 70s I still wouldn’t mess with him.

• redridge45 says:

“Nor is it necessary to hunt for survival.”
        One never knows; survive a plane crash in desolate area, car breakdown in the boonies, stuck in the woods on a hike, EMP strike. It may never happen but it is wise to be prepared, especially when opportunity is at hand and all of the food is coming from far away…

• filia.aurea says:

Changing the age limit for gun ownership is illogical pandering to the ignorant and stupid anti-gun lobby – people with more than one brain cell know that an 18 year old male can join the Army, be deployed overseas and shipped home in a body-bag? And since when do criminals follow gun laws?

Arming & training schoolteachers is similarly a very bad idea. Public schools are staffed with leftist libtard card carrying marxists. State taxes are high enough to allow the hiring of disciplined, well-trained military veterans to serve as armed guards at each public school. Teachers “teach”, guards provide security. Saving a “buck” by mixing guarding and teaching is STUPID. The entire point of having armed security is to PREVENT shooters from entering school buildings. Roving school resource officers are a waste of money. Security personnel should not have the added responsibility of interacting with children.

School districts should provide former U.S. military veteran guards at every public school, instead of spending millions on building new, or expanding schools with “trailer classrooms”, and hiring extra staff to accommodate non-English speaking illegals. The solution is, IMHO, obvious. BAN GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONES, (introduced by creepy-ass joe biden in 1990) provide armed security and school choice for all parents. The complicity of professional politicians in Congress should be a wake-up call for all Americans. The epidemic of mass school shootings is a DIRECT result of bath-house Barry’s orders to destroy our #2 amendment by any means possible. The DHS/JTTF/Contractors & Mockingbird media are all complicit in the latest FLA incident.

• 18 yr olds don’t even buy Semi Autos anyway.

• Randall Wenger says:

When it comes time for it, could I suggest you check out Liberty University as a college for your daughter? Not only are the education and facilities top notch but also they encourage concealed carry on campus.
      Yes, I am an alum.

• maiingankwe says:

Thank you Randall and yes, Liberty University is on my top list for her to attend. I have to look more into it, but I think it would be a great school if she still wants to be a prosecuting attorney by then. She wants to take down the dirty politicians and has her eye on a SCOTUS position, I’m not kidding. I think AG for the US would suit her too. Either that or something in coding with computers. She’s young, so her mind will more than likely change.

Thank you for great advice! Great school. You’re so lucky.

• Bonitabaycane says:

With all due respect, now, more than ever our President needs our prayers and support. He has given up everything for us, his love of this country. His popularity has hit 50% which is remarkable, considering the daily assault from the Fake News media, and both political parties. I stand with our Presdent!!

• maiingankwe says:

There isn’t a day that goes by that I do not have our President, his family, cabinet members in my prayers. I will always stand with our President, but it does not mean I have to agree with everything he does or says. I have a mind of my own thank you very much. If the last sentence seems catty, so be it. I take exception to people assuming what I do or don’t do and telling me what I should do.

8. Blacksmith8 says:

Exactly, if the USA will send my son or daughter into harms way, then…
    My boy should be a legal adult in all 50 states
    My daughter should be able to buy ammunition and firearms in all 50 states.
    They should be able to drink.
    They should be able to vote.
    Isn’t that what we all agreed to?

It’s fair as the libs like to say.

9. DeWalt says:

Bad optics for our President. Bondi is a Rino. She showed her colors during the Martin fiasco. She involved herself in PC and identity politics.
    The President is sitting in the enemies camp and attacking guns. Guns are not the issue. He’s blinking and they will capitalize on that. Until we get crazy people in institutions and jail repeat offenders nothing will change.
    If we don’t want people to possess firearms until age of 21, don’t ask them to fight your wars until then.
    Guns have always been accessable. It’s why our young have been good soldiers. Many cut their teeth on the butt of a gun. A child tought the proper handling of guns at a young age are more responsible. Ask yourselves what change from 30 years ago until now and there’s your answer.

• Newt Love says:

On the other hand, Florida AG Pam Biondi and her adjutant are “rewriting the legislation” drafted by the Florida State Legislature for the “72 hour Imminent Threat Restraining Order” that confiscates the guns of a potential whacko shooter, and LE has 72 hours to present evidence that the potential perp (who is released after 24 hours) does not have access to his weapons, and if LE can convince the Judge that there is probable cause to believe that the potential Perp poses a threat to the community, then the guns stay in the possession of the Courts, and the potential perp can file a civil lawsuit to prove that he is not a threat to the community, and can get his guns back.

I think that is a common sense solution to part of the problem.

The second thing, FL AG Pamela Biondi is pushing to create a phone APP, that includes HS Students in the development, which makes it super easy to anonymously refer social media posts that are threatening, to a State LE collection center, instead of the INCOMPETENT FBI Tip Line.

If a youth turns in someone who dissed them, that would be down in the noise. Nikolas Cruz, who shot up the Florida HS, would have thousands of referred social media posts.

So, DeWalt, to quote President Trump, this is not about gun control or other politics, it is about making schools safe for the students. I would add that this is not about your petty complaint against FL AG Pamela Biondi, it is about finding common sense solutions to making schools safe!

The two efforts that Biondi pushed are great ideas, and regardless of (R) or (D) or RINO labels, common sense solutions must be pursued to prevent the Leftists from running their Gun Grabber efforts.

Like Tax Reform may be a game changer in the 2018 mid-terms, can you imagine, if after 20+ years of school shootings, President Trump listens and selects several common sense solutions to elements of the problem, and brings them to fruition, which in turn makes schools much safer, won’t that produce even more support for President Trump and the (R) Party in the 2020 General Election?

• filia.aurea says:

Our #2nd amendment rights are for our own protection against a tyrannical government,

• scott467 says:

The problem with anonymous ‘apps’ reporting is, of course, that kids will abuse it. They will get 10 or 20 (or more) other kids to all report the same kid, who didn’t do anything wrong, just because that’s how (some) kids are.

That’s part of the reason why we have a right to confront our accusers, which makes anonymous witch hunts considerably more difficult.

10. Badger 1 says:

Democrats should never be permitted to own guns—period!

11. Arthur says:

Hey Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi how about we ‘discuss’ the how and why it was that both Nikolas Cruz, age 19 (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and Esteban Santiago, age 27 (Schizophrenia and Schizoaffective Disorder) committed mass murders in Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s Broward County almost within one year of each other. Let’s have a debate on just that one aspect. Let us just ‘discuss’ that one point. How about that? Yet neither you nor the POTUS will discuss the two most salient points on either mass murder events. That really stinks something fierce here. Business as usual. CUI BONO?

• Newt Love says:

Actually, President Trump said in the video, at least 8 times, that the mental health aspect must be investigated to see what we could do.
      FL AG Pamela Biondi made 1 reference in the video to mental health, but focused on her proposals.
      It is up to President Trump to select proposed programs that he would endorse to make schools safer for children.

How about focusing on the common sense proposals that were put on the table?

I think that is a common sense solution to part of the problem.

So, to quote President Trump, this is not about gun control or other politics, it is about making schools safe for the students. I would add that this is not about your petty complaint against FL AG Pamela Biondi, it is about finding common sense solutions to making schools safe!

• filia.aurea says:

Bondi is incompetent, period.

12. JoD says:

Back to basics….
    Let’s talk WALL!
    An elementary school, a few miles from my home, is surrounded by a very impressive, yet attractive WALL with a “BIG, BEAUTIFUL” gate.
    If you are not a student, the parent of a student or an employee of the school, no entry.
    A simple, but very effective place to start.
    Obviously, not applicable in all locations, but would work for many.
    Who’s gonna pay for the WALL?
    Schools are very creative when it comes to raising lots of money for misc. projects.
    Wall…funerals…funerals…wall…hmmm?

13. mari says:

The FBI looked the other way. They got a bunch of kids killed. And now they have the President right where they want him. Plus they got the news cycle to change focus from their breaking the law to their breaking our 2nd amendment and splitting the President from his base. It is the FBI who should be punished not the law-abiding citizens. Contact the President here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

14. Rynn69 says:

God Bless, President Trump. We support you 100%.

• Boots says:

Hey Rynn69;

Speak for yourself. Don’t include me. I support PDJT 99%. The 1% reservation is because I disagree with his flip flopping on gun control. Mari, just above you, is right; the FBI purposely didn’t intervene, they WANTED the kid to shoot up a school, they GOT what they wanted, and in the process they GOT the focus OFF their attempted coup, and BACK ONTO GUN CONTROL.

NO. I don’t support a f-ing molecule of any MORE gun laws.

• GREENMIRROR says:

I 2nd the motion boots.

At first I was like Yea bump stocks yawn now I agree with you. Shall not be infringed. Repeal silencer ban, Any state in the union is constitutional carry, ban gun free zones, any magazine size good enough to protect the president legal for citizens(5.7 stuff 50 round ps90).

I’m done we don’t need more cops or more teachers, we need people of character that believe in this country.

MAGA AMERICA FIRST

15. I’m generally not in favor of our President allowing the Left a bite at the gun control apple, even if the changes are reasonable, at this point. The Left is completely stark raving insane and malevolent, and if they think a school shooting will further their agenda they won’t just look forward to another shooting, they’ll figure out how to engineer more without hesitation. I guarantee it.

This is a very slippery slope. Gun ownership age in particular I think is a State issue, not a Federal one.

I can only guess this is a DACA-esque play — making like you want compromise and then relying on the Trump Derangement Syndrome of the Dems to forestall actual legislation getting through the Senate. In other words, getting the Dems to block legislation they should actually favor just to deny Trump a “victory”.

16. Newt Love says:

I think that is a common sense solution to part of the problem.

So, to quote President Trump, this is not about gun control or other politics, it is about making schools safe for the students. I would add that this is not about petty complaints against FL AG Pamela Biondi, it is about finding common sense solutions to making schools safe!

17. GB Bari says:

I think PDJT is doing a far better job addressing this issue than any recent president before him could have done. He is once again trying to apply his “get it done” approach rather than talk and analyze it to death.

18. Bonitabaycane says:

Do not underestimate the brilliance and political instincts of our President. His “common sense” solutions, while supporting the Second Amendment, is the exactly correct policy response in the wake of this tragedy IMO. Moreover, his ability to listen and display empathy, love, and anger is exactly what the American people are seeking in its President IMO.