Well, well, well. In what can only be described as perfectly representative of the perspectives of Canada, Mexico and the U.S., the principals within NAFTA [Robert Lighthizer (U.S.), Chrystina Freeland (Can), Ildefonso Guajardo (Mex)] showcase their unique positions during a press conference at the conclusion of round #4.

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer begins with the elements of a statement that all parties agree upon. Not much. (Transcript added)

Next comes the smug, self-righteous, and virtue signaling Canadian economic parasite Chrystina Freeland; with an over-the-top emotional plea about how military cemeteries should form the basis of multinational trade deals because trade sectors should be based on her feelings, or something. Mexican economic parasite Ildefonso Guarjardo joins the CanMex position decrying the insufferable demands of the economic host: “we must understand that we all have limits.”

Then comes the hammer. Lighthizer announces to both parasites their positions are fraught with hypocrisy and self-preservation; and the time to reset the imbalance is now. Pointing out how Canada and Mexico agreed to TPP text they are now rejecting in NAFTA, and specifically identifying how their companies have become reliant on special preferences, Lighthizer lets Canada and Mexico know that the time for their feasting on the host is OVER. Watch (transcript added below):

The distance between the parties is too significant and a diplomatic “cooling off” period of one month is agreed upon; prior to entry into round #5 which will take place in Mexico, mid-November. The goal of an agreement, if any agreement is possible, concluding by the end of the year is gone.

[Transcript] We have now had four rounds and 22 days of negotiations. This has all been squeezed into just over two months. The amount of work by all negotiators from the three countries is extraordinary.

I should also thank the congressional and cleared advisors. They have reviewed and helped us with hundreds of pages of very technical text. Nearly everyone involved has been working 12-hour days more or less continuously.

The United States had two objectives in these talks. First, we wanted to update a 23-year-old agreement to reflect our modern economy. Obvious areas for modernization included intellectual property, digital trade, anticorruption, technical standards, financial services, and others.

Our President has been clear about our second objective. NAFTA has resulted in a huge trade deficit for the United States and has cost us tens of thousands of manufacturing jobs. The agreement has become very lopsided and needs to be rebalanced. We of course have a five-hundred billion dollar trade deficit. So for us, trade deficits do matter. And we intend to reduce them.

Frankly, I am surprised and disappointed by the resistance to change from our negotiating partners on both fronts. We have made some headway on the first objective, but even here we have sometimes seen a refusal to accept what is clearly the best text available in spite of the countries having agreed to it in the past.

In certain cases, partners who agree to TPP have actually rejected its text here. I would have thought by now we could have cleared chapters dealing with digital trade, telecommunications, anticorruption, and several sectoral annexes, for example.

As difficult as this has been, we have seen no indication that our partners are willing to make any changes that will result in a rebalancing and a reduction in these huge trade deficits. Now I understand that after many years of one-sided benefits, their companies have become reliant on special preferences and not just comparative advantage. Countries are reluctant to give up unfair advantage.

But the President has been clear that if we are going to have an agreement going forward, it must be fair to American workers and businesses that employ our people at home.

Continuing to design a national manufacturing policy that is largely dependent on exports to the United States without balance cannot long continue. It is important also to remember that to some extent, NAFTA is an investment agreement, and it is unreasonable to expect that the United States will continue to encourage and guarantee U.S. companies to invest in Mexico and Canada primarily for export to the United States.

All parties must understand this and be reasonable if there is any chance for these negotiations to be successful. I think we should all take the time between now and our next round to realistically assess what can be done to arrive at a balanced, modern agreement. And I am hopeful that if we do that, we’ll have a successful conclusion to this project in due course.

I’d like to again thank both of my colleagues for your hard work, and I guess probably even more thank their colleagues [negotiators], who have done the lion share of the work over the last months.

I look forward to seeing you all in Mexico City.

Thank you.

(link)

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Canada, Economy, media bias, Mexico, NAFTA, President Trump, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, Union Activity - ALL, US Treasury, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

120 Responses to NAFTA Round #4 Update: U.S., Canada and Mexico Announce No Common Ground – Round #5 Delayed…

1. FofBW says:

PT is once again displaying his amazing patience and letting this play out to expose the hypocrisy and corruption.

Then…..MOAB!

2. leont says:

Perfect

3. rsanchez1990 says:

Man, the Office of the USTR really needs to update their YouTube channel. This is really important stuff and the USTR YouTube channel hasn’t been updated in months.

• piper567 says:

Am SO thankful to sundance for his illuminating synopsis of this presser.
      I could not listen to Freeland, she sounds like a HS Cheerleader (ok if you are high school cheerleader)!
      This is a Minister?
      Oh, right: Trudeau is their PM. Not much doubt re vetting criteria.
      My heart goes out to Dekester and our other Treepers from up N.
      These two Countries are really not quite capable of ingesting truth…they have been allowed to just coast on the crimes against us. This is the routine Trump warned us about.
      It tickles me that Internationally folks will be watching these “negotiations”, and will begin to see how its gonna be now.
      Thank you Lord God for Donald J. Trump…and God bless the USA.

• Paco Loco says:

Hey the fix was in for 23 Years. They had an amazing deal that made them rich and us poor. Reality had to set in as it eventually has. If it’s not sustainable then it will fail. Trump and the Trumpsters understand Commerce and how trade deals should be mutually beneficial, not one sided. Bill Clinton, the Fullbright scholar with his brains in his little head sold the farm and gave the keys to the city to the CoC, Mexjico and Canuck land. Thank god for Trump who really is making America great again one deal at a time.

• Thecleaner says:

There is some misconception about the true affects of NAFTA on manufacturing in Canada…..our manufacturing sector has been gutted to the same degree as that in the US if not worse, and contrary to popular belief our lumber and steel sectors have been decimated by Chinese dumping as well….we are essentially a service based economy at this point….having said that Friedland and Trudeau both must go

• Gutting your own manufacturing sector makes the NAFTA renegotiation SO much simpler … unless you want it back, which makes your Prime Minister Replacement SO much more urgent.

• Thecleaner says:

We have the same ilk of corrupt politicians and bankers here who thought nothing of throwing us out of work to pad the bottom line. You now have PDJT trying to fight for your jobs…us not so much

• Jim says:

Sundance does such a good job of breaking this stuff down. I have no idea what the mainstreams are saying anymore because I simply do not watch. In my opinion, everything you hear on cable is simply a lie until proven otherwise.

• John Good says:

I couldn’t listen to the stupid bi*ch either. This is the same woman who I heard on Red Eye Radio about 6 months ago, making an ass of herself on the Bill Maher Show by lecturing Americans on why she thought that it wasn’t necessary to vet Muslims & she got mad when the rest of the round-table basically laughed at her.

It was so bizzare that I got up, went to the Red Eye Radio website, found the podcast & saved it to my hard drive. But I don’t seem to have it anymore, so you will have to go to their website & search for it yourself.

IMO, we are fu*ked here in Canada, with the Cap & Trade Tax, the cancelling of all the pipelines, the Liberal’s Green Energy Policy (Ontario actually gives Electric Car buyers $14,000 taxpayer grants), who in their right mind would manufacture here, when they could go to the US & do it much cheaper. And then we have Freeland!

I am 64, so whatever happens won’t affect me too much, but I am so sad for Canada. My parents escaped Hitler, Stalin & Socialism in 40’s Europe & now it is here in Canada.

Guaranteed that the MSM here in Canada will not show this whole video on the News here.

4. Jim Rogers says:

Stay the course ~ it has the USA headed straight toward greatness…..
    The first rule of LEADERSHIP is be in front ~ and stay in front…..

5. Alison says:

How long will Trump/Ross wait to end this sham? With a 6-month Congressional notification period, followed by time to negotiate/execute bilateral trade deals (can Congress tank those??), we are looking at end of 2018 for better deals.

I love President Trump, but real lives are being affected every day by DC bull pucky. I fail to see the value of allowing Canada & Mexico to carry this charade further. That’s probably why Trump/Ross are in charge and I am not!

• TheLastDemocrat says:

I think the idea is this:
      If Trump simply tears up NAFTA, he looks emotional and hasty.
      If he carries on the charade, he looks like he is willing to engage in trade talks and diplomacy.

CA, MX are carrying on because they want to – they are the ones who have most to gain by a deal that is lousy for US. Trump can consider what might be acceptable to all, within reason, but CA and or MX will not agree.

CA, MX will be the ones to say they will not agree to a proposed NAFTA because: whatever: Chinese parts in “Made in Mexico” cars, etc.

So, CA and MX will be the hasty, emotional countries making irrational demands and storming away when the demands are not meant.

Trump et al. will still be at the negotiation table watching CA, MX walk away.

• Sedanka says:

Tearing up NAFTA is a revenge fantasy of the sort that Mark Levin would favor. Trump is instead overseeing an actual negotiation with the USA’s most powerful card in his hand – the willingness to walk away if the deal isn’t acceptable, and then tear up NAFTA if necessary.

His team is negotiating against such weaklings – not just the political jokes that Sundance paints them as, more important is that they’re very, very weak in actual business acumen – that I think Trump will actually get NAFTA reworked a lot more to his liking rather than having to scrap it altogether.

• bulwarker says:

lol, you must be listening to a different Levin. The guy I hear on the radio is pro-free trade (pro-globalist NAFTA), and against the type of reasonable protectionism Trump wants.

I think NAFTA is an easy win for Trump, and he’s waiting to see what come through elsewhere (taxes, ACA reform, immigration). If Republicans need a “win” coming into the 2018 elections I fully expect him to hit the button and nuke NAFTA quick, until then he’s letting the negotiations continue.

• jmuniz1 says:

Levin is a globalist Bush boy who endorsed Ted Cruz. He voted for Hillary Clinton.He just wants to sell his books and push his New World Order Convention of States.

• I think time is of essence. If the discussions continue and drag (that is what the CA and MX rats are doing), then nothing will be done and the existing NAFTA will continue to govern till such time. I believe and wish POTUS will get out of NAFTA by Jan 2018 or once the Tax reform/ reduction is passed in the congress.

• Alison says:

Thanks 😊 I understand all that intellectually. I’m having a day of ‘up to here’ impatience – call it battle fatigue. Then I remember who & what President Trump & his wolverines are dealing with, and I count my blessings.

Usually I encourage Sundance to ‘carry on’. Today I’ll boost myself back to feeling that optimismmany of you are expressing!

• StanH says:

Yeah!

• dayallaxeded says:

PDJT has to bring the skeletons out of the closet and into the sunshine. He and the trade-wolverines are forcing these criminal nations to dig in their heals on plainly anti-USA, unfair, essentially criminal positions, while also wildly virtue and emotion signalling. This way, it’s not what PDJT says or does, it’s the outrageous, stupid positions of the adversaries. In the end, Lightsaber may hold up a mirror to each of these adversarial mental midgets that will embarrass them sufficiently that they’ll make a fairly reasonable bi-lateral deal with the USA, but without the other parasite to help them “out vote” their host.

This, I believe, is what is known as WINNING! A synonym is MAGA! I have seen little of it in my over half C, but I’m sho nuff loving it now! I can finally quit apologizing to my kids and start discussing what a bright future is possible for them–if we all stay on the MAGA train, of course!

• Lindenlee says:

Yes, exposure takes time, for evil to be seen for what it is, react the way it does, be brought to the surface for all to see it as it truly is. I see him do this over and over. Not flashy or in haste, but effectively.

• Thecleaner says:

If you simply tear up the deal, every company on both sides of the border may as well close the doors until new deals are in place. Despite the trade imbalance, our economies are reliant upon each other, with 80% of Canadas exports moving by truck directly across the US border.

• Those are the rules and Pres Trump has to follow them. Otherwise, in addition to the headlines decrying his “meanness”, there will be headlines about how he hypocritically doesn’t follow the rules.

6. fleporeblog says:

Bye Bye NAFTA! Our President said today with the POS Greek PM by his side that many world leaders feel the same way as he did about our President because they know they will NO LONGER be able to take advantage of our country!

I just wrote the following blog. I am very optimistic of hitting a 3.0% or greater GDP for the 3rd Quarter. The Economic Train has been unleashed! Once NAFTA is gone and bilateral deals are done with China, South Korea, Mexico, Canada etc. our president will have our GDP humming at 4.0% or greater without any legislation being passed in Congress.

It is ABSOLUTELY breathtaking to watch it play out in real time.

7. rsanchez1990 says:

Ms Freeland, we’ll absolutely help Canada in her hour of need, like Canada has done for us and for Mexico, but that doesn’t entitle Canada to take advantage of us on trade.

• C. Lowell says:

Remember that WWI was helped along bigly by globalization and “beggar-thy-neighbor” policies like these…

• dayallaxeded says:

We can’t be very helpful to our friends or even ourselves, if we have no strategic manufacturing base and keep exporting more and more of both the capital/hardware for manufacturing and the attendant skills in our labor force to the turd world. If we had to fire up another “lend lease” program to help ourselves and/or allies, where and by whom would the massive numbers of tanks, planes, ships, and all the needed armaments be manufactured? In WWII, IBM and Underwood transitioned from adding machines and typewriters to M1 carbines, etc. So did jukebox manufactures, like Rock-Ola. GM, Ford, Chrysler et al., built tanks, jeeps, etc. Now, we’d need massive and innovative microprocessors and all kinds of other high tech stuff, too–most of which is being manufactured in China or Taiwan (I think–correct me if I’m mistaken).

8. C. Lowell says:

“Canadian economic parasite Chrystina Freeland” and
    “Mexican economic parasite Ildefonso Guarjardo” — lulz — well done Sundance!

9. StanH says:

I guess it’s kinda like getting dog crap off your shoes. One of Trumps killers is paddling the globalist twit brigade. This is simply great fun to be an observer. I’m ready for the boss (PDJT) … would simply say “You’re fired!!!” It’s time to detach from the teat.

10. Fedback says:

Most important question. Did the Canadian foreign minister speak Spanish. Scores high on the virtue signalling meter.

The foreign minister is a journalist by profession. Imagine Jake Tapper negotiate a NAFTA deal

11. stats guy says:

Stock market reax…Up!

The President, as we know, has a massive job in front of him. But then that’s kind of what he does for a living. Building a tower of condos, hotels, or offices is a long term process. Your average pol doesn’t think beyond the next headline or lobbyist meeting.

Mitch thinks he’s running a business and that the GOP is the Party of Business. Which is pretty sad really. State Capitalism never works out.

• Lindenlee says:

Also, Trump is accustomed to having the adjust as the building grows, not everything goes according to plan. She he used to thinking about Plans B and C. Politicians can hardly get to A… Corrupt dullards.

12. Publius2016 says:

It takes years to build a manufacturing plant, be patient…the $$$ knows where the US is going, it’s only a question of how much do we leave on the table for our “friends”?

13. I absolutely love the “to the point” summary embedded with snark. Thank you Sundance!

14. magagirl says:

Wow, am I dreaming? Someone finally looking after OUR interest!! 👏👏

15. Budman says:

Chrystina Freeland ……….= Hillary Clinton on steroids………… Oh and let’s not forget…………. I think VERY highly of myself.

• piper567 says:

I hope our Canadian friends are listening to this amateur while she talks like a Valley Girl in the presence of USA representatives.
      How embarrassing!
      If the Canadian voters do not jettison Trudeau their next chance solely on his inability to provide their Country with viable Ministers, my sympathy for them will be somewhat diminished.

• John Good says:

Guaranteed that the MSM here in Canada will not show this whole video on the News, just parts of it to make the brainwashed here think that Canada is holding it’s own in the negotiations with the Nasty Trump Americans.
        Unfortunately for us here in Canada, we do not have an Electoral College system & Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver, etc. control what happens in the rest of the Country.
        IMO we will never be able to get our own Donald J. Trump & instead we got our own “White O’Bama”. And the NDP & the Green Party are even worse than the Liberals.
        Maybe Donald Trump will take over Canada (minus Quebec because Billingualism does not work) down the road & make us a state! All the traitors here in Canada could go to Quebec & form their own Country! As a fellow businessman, I know that Donald Trump would approve of my solution here! LOL!

• chbailey says:

It is impossible to think that there aren’t any wealthy common sense businessmen and businesswomen in Canada that sees what President Trump has seen (over the last thirty years in the US) who would form a coalition to save Canada. Does not Canada have a conservative political party that a strong common sense conservative could use as a vehicle?
          The most obvious difference between the US and Canada is our system of government and the fact that we do not have the presence of Europe – the English monarch/stewards or an unassimulated French province – influencing our trajectory. (Remember even the globalist O tried to retie that knot with the EU jackals and it failed). Cutting the ties that bind would be a good platform to startle the citizenry and get them involved.

16. Cetera says:

I bet it is deeply troubling to the Canadian cucks that the subsidization of the Canadian economy by the U.S. taxpayer is coming to an end.

17. chojun says:

I think Canada and Mexico are clearly overplaying their hand. With Mexico and Canada at this point of the negotiations making public pleas on the irrational, non-objective basis of emotion, they are revealed to have really no tenable position in the negotiations. Making plays on fear and emotion is not a realistic strategy position. Especially when Donald Trump has repeatedly in the past weathered storms of it from the US media without budging a single inch.

For the next round I would expect some capitulation by Mexico and Canada. Hilariously, the United States needs to do nothing in these negotiations – Donald Trump knows that the US holds the favorable status and has placed Mexico and Canada in a position of having to expend maximum resources to maintain their current status – a completely untenable situation for them. They will fold. In fact, I believe NAFTA will collapse as a result of their expenditure of resources and lack of leverage in their trade situation with the United States.

When they fold and NAFTA collapses I expect trade Rep. Lighthizer to announce bi-lateral trade deals with each country. Trump will trot the individual countries’ leaders out in press conferences to announce reaching bigly yuge trade deals with each. And you can guarantee that China will be shut out of all backdoor avenues in these bi-lateral deals – something that NAFTA and TPP could never guarantee.

• Trumppin says:

“I believe NAFTA will collapse as a result of their expenditure of resources and lack of leverage in their trade situation with the United States.”
      I believe that is the #MAGA End Goal

• Lindenlee says:

More indirect leverage over China,without even having to mention that 800-lb. gorilla in the room. . First, no back door through TPP, and now this. He-he, LOVE IT!

• piper567 says:

chojun, I fervently hope you are correct.
      I would love these NAFTA actions to further impact China, even if our msm is too dull to understand this as yet another factor to protect USA from a very predatory China.
      Would love to be a fly on the wall as China’s leaders watch these “negotiations”.
      USA has a golden opportunity here to shaft The Panda.

• chojun says:

I think a secondary objective of the NAFTA negotiations is specifically to deal with China. President Trump met early on with President Xi to wine and dine him because obviously many of Trump’s actions over the upcoming months would be directly confrontational with China (although having the appearance of not being so).

When we say Trump is playing 4D chess and in our instinct believe it is true, we tend to forget that he is often playing on a hidden/obscured field. Most of Trump’s actions have hidden, downstream effects on China. After all, he did promise that he’d confront China. However, he’s not being directly confrontational about it.

18. doug says:

we also need to ban lobbying in America by foreign interest and that includes countries funneling money to domestic entities like Chamber of Commerce

19. MMinLamesa says:

BOOM! That was indeed the hammer. You gotta wonder why in the hell our media refuses to commend this administration for trying to even the playing field. Their TDS blinds them to MAGA.

• Trumppin says:

They’re communists. They are not playing on the same side as America

• Jim says:

You said it sister. Personally I think PJDT is leading every one of these scum into a trap like they won’t believe. I only hope I am there when the door falls shut behind them so that I can witness it.

• They’re propagandists. They dutifully dispense the talking points that have been distributed by the dhimmicrats. When they are challenged with facts (think Dir Mulvaney) they are dumbfounded and have no response.

• backwoodsgirl123 says:

They are NWO Globalists! And the Agenda21/2020 people believe that they have to destroy the Industrialized nations in order to level the playing field.

MAGA is going in the opposite direction of their stated goals.

• dayallaxeded says:

ENEMEDIA. The 5th Column/4th Estate. Until current corporate/globullshit controlled media is burned to the ground and forced to recover by, ya know, reporting actual “news” and “facts”, they must be universally treated as the traitors to our nation and enemies of humanity that they are. No lie coming from them should surprise you.

20. MaineCoon says:

Bye, bye NAFTA.

Bi-lateral agreements to come.

21. First Last says:

Get the US out of NAFTA!! DO IT NOW!!!

22. shiningfields says:

How dare Minister Freiyland use our military dead to make her political point. Ugh…. crap like that, is why Canada is in the toilet.

• piper567 says:

shining, the picture of Trump, finger in air, saying, Sh!t Like This is Why I Won, comes to mind, no?

• dayallaxeded says:

It’s the progzi way–all about da feelz! It’s a fact that people have feelings; ergo, feelings are facts and in their idiotic relativistic world, the “fact of feelz” has the same weight as the fact of a budget, brick, or bullet. Only works in an alternate elitist universe that does not have to actually deal with budgets, bricks, or bullets.

23. Trumppin says:

Lighthizer “The Hammer” … He’s awesome!

24. citizen817 says:

The beauty of President Trump.
    Art of the Deal to see in person, and live it. Nafta renegotiation…a ruse it would seem. Love it. Nafta will be gone very soon. How sweet it is!

25. Fedback says:

Four rounds of negotiations and they have achieved nothing. Pathetic

• bessie2003 says:

I really enjoyed TR Lighthizer’s acknowledging the people who are working for the Canadian and Mexican trade representatives, recognizing that it is these people who, behind the scenes, are doing the heavy work. That was a really nice touch. Still smiling over that, the US is even recognizing their forgotten men and women too!

• piper567 says:

Fedback,
      The “negotiations” may not have achieved much, but the pathetic positions of Canada and Mexico, not to mention the PC orientation of Canada’s “Minister”, and the alarm of Mexico are of great value. Earlier I mentioned my glee at the thought internationally folks are learning how it is going to work now…USA First!
      The Real Bonus, imo, is our Great CoC rep going to Mexico to announce his .org is on board with the very Countries who would continue to bleed our people. For everyone to hear.

26. Jlwary says:

I only understood lighthizer. No surprise there. MAGA. Rip it up.

27. FL_GUY says:

President Trump; a President that we can be proud of who is bringing competence and dignity back to the White House. A CEO who actually knows HOW to run the government to the benefit of We the People!

28. rsanchez1990 says:

“It is important also to remember that to some extent, NAFTA is an investment agreement, and it is unreasonable to expect that the United States will continue to encourage and guarantee U.S. companies to invest in Mexico and Canada primarily for export to the United States.”

That’s the most important part right there. This is why NAFTA is not good for us. If we’re going to invest in US companies to build products to be sold in the US, it just doesn’t make sense to give those companies money to employ people in Canada or Mexico. This is not free trade, this is corporate welfare. The libertarians need to understand this instead of reflexively dismissing any criticism of NAFTA. It is most definitely NOT a free trade agreement.

29. “I think we should all take the time between now and our next round to realistically assess what can be done to arrive at a balanced, modern agreement.”

In other words, “Last chance leeches!” LOL #MoreWinning 😀

30. I’m surprised the Canadian negotiator didn’t somehow work Harvey Weinstein into her statement.

31. itswoot says:

America, as a host for ‘parasites’, has been like a deep well of supply for Canada and Mexico to engorge themselves on. They have been sucking the life blood out of America without regard for what it has been doing to hurt us.

Greed!

32. Trump Team Tactics to watch for during NAFTA Renegotiation Delay
    • ASSIGNING OWNERSHIP in urgently unavoidable form
    • DOUBLING the CONSEQUENCES for delay

1 – Trade Deals with other nations that set the BILATERAL DEAL STANDARD
    • TOUGHER standards that Canada & Mexico could have influenced
    • Forfeited Canada & Mexico bargaining chips once the standards are set

2 – More SANCTIONS for Canada and Mexico CHEATING
    • Major PAIN that agreement could have avoided and delay invited
    • Obvious involvement of CHINA … defining the next HAMMER to drop

33. TIME TO JUST DRIVE A STAKE INTO NAFTA AND WALK AWAY.
    then deal with ALL NATIONS ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS.

34. Sunshine says:

Canada’s FREELAND woman: I understand English, French, and Spanish.

When she switches to a language other than English, she is not translating what she said AND she isn’t fluent in French nor in Spanish – She needs a text.

A terrible pronunciation in both languages other than English. The particular accentuation of every word is definitely lacking. Why the big show of languages? That’s all she has.

• Jenny R. says:

Because…she’s Canadian you simple Ami….much more like a sophisticated and loved European than any barbarian Yankee seppo could ever try to understand. Now shut up already and let your cultural betters lecture you and take that money of yours, seriously, if only they didn’t have to rely on that cursed American military…
      yeah….that was sarcasm, but it rings of truth — Canadians have always had an identity crisis vis a vis America; same with the Mexicans.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

She does it to make the Americans, which she knows will watch this press conference, feel inferior. But little does she know that those childish game she plays will be flaked off of us. Thanks to the years of Obama’s reign of terror, we have been toughened. Nothing, not even this little sanctimonious witch, can faze us anymore. We have learn to laugh at the stupidity of their self-importance airs. Full of hot air is more like it.

ALERT: Round four-Failed
      Stay the Course.
      We are on our way to MAGA!

• chbailey says:

Inclusive spray.

35. Bree says:

Well done!!!! Now we should just end it😀

36. The Canadians are embarrassing. Fruitcakes.

37. Mr. Morris says:

It appears Mr. Lighthizer, like Ross Perot before him, does not like the giant sucking sound of jobs that have left America. That fact is the result of the NAFTA deal. It is high time that trade deals are fair to America.
    We trust Mr. Lighthizer, and of course our President Trump.

38. Doyle says:

Lighthizer said,”…Countries are reluctant to give up unfair advantage.”
    That is definitely a significant reason why these talks will likely fail especially with Mexico but what will actually happen to all interested parties after NAFTA disappears is uncertain to me. It will however, be a major economic disruption for sure for all countries until sanity and fairness once again prevails-if it ever will with the Liberal party in power.
    The other factor in these negotiations from the Canadian side, is the very negative opinion most Canadians (including Justin and Freeland) have about President Trump. I’m not exaggerating when I say most of them think Trump is either crazy, a racist, an evil monster, a madman, a buffoon, a right wing fascist etc or all of the above. Many or most Canadians watch only CNN for American political news (if they don’t surf the Web for opinion) because unlike CNN; FOX costs extra and is not even available in many areas due to liberal cable providers. FOX is branded a fascist right wing outlet and a campaign was initiated by Canada’s literati including, Margaret Atwood (Handmaid Tale’s author) to ban Fox News entirely on cable in Canada. And that was before Trump.
    The Canadian MSM broadcasts the worst anti-Trump news that American MSM feeds them. I have never seen a positive story on Canadian TV news. Given all that, Liberal PM Trudeau and his ultra liberal “morally and ethically superior” trade rep Freeland would love to brag to Canadians how they brilliantly outfoxed the U.S. trade negotiators of the evil monster and madman Trump and won a great trade victory. Freeland’s ideological biases appear to be driving her attitude and agenda (as sundance has indicated) more than the economic reality.

• chbailey says:

Canadians are being bludgeoned by a propaganda media just as Americans were abused by the O cabal and his media mouths. Maybe Canada has a “moral majority” of ordinary citizens that will eventually have enough of being shut out of common sense Christian morality and intelligent achievement.
      There is an anti-Canadian and an anti-American communist Marxist usurpation going on in both our countries. But with the election of President Trump, our moral majority can now rally with his government to drain the swamp. Canadians must let themselves have every confidence that a leader, and leaders, will likewise surface in Canada.

39. jeans2nd says:

One percent, Canada, ONE PERCENT.
    NAFTA is evil, and must be destroyed

40. Guffman says:

I’m Canadian, just north of the N.Y. border, and a YUGE PDJT supporter. My wife and I cross into NY for shopping weekly and it would suck if we had to start paying more to do that BUT, with the incompetent Turdeau and his team running things up here, this is no doubt where we are headed.
    Chrystia Freeland is a complete virtue-signalling airhead and is SO far out of her depth here in the NAFTA negotiations. I fully support America First – Canada First – Mexico First policy, but Canada & Mexico seem to think they can dictate policy, and have no idea of the weak position they’re in.
    Lighthizer is going to put these fools in their place and rightfully so. I have NO idea what CAN & MEX think they’re going to accomplish here, but they’re going to lose.
    God, I wish we had a Canadian Trump up here… but our conservative party just nominated a Trudeau-lite to lead them. We’re doomed for years to come!

• John Good says:

Hi from Ontario! I too am a “Yuge” Trump supporter. Donald J. Trump was one of the people that I tried to emulate when I had my business during the 80’s & now that he has risen to POTUS, I admire him even more.

• Guffman says:

Good to know there’s more people like me (and my wife) on the northern side of the border! Our swamp up here may be just more like pond scum compared to the US, but left unchecked, ours will end up exactly the same way.
        Right now we’re just left with voting for the least worst of the options we have. Sad!

41. Donna in Oregon says:

President Trump keeps his promises.

I remember all the angst online about the Paris Agreement. Will he? Won’t he?

Oh, wait a second, he did.

Why all the angst again? Relax already. Jeez.