Canadian Labor Leader Supports Trump Position on NAFTA Auto Origination Rules…

Well, this is rich.  A Canadian labor union leader, Jerry Dias, national president of Unifor, has called President Trump “batshit crazy” yet supports the U.S. NAFTA position on Auto origination.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is said to be leveraging a position that NAFTA rules on auto manufacturing require 70% of source origination from inside the U.S., Mexico and Canada.  Canadian union leader Jerry Dias agrees with the position in order to Make Canada Great Again.

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross wants more than 70 percent of North American content in vehicles built in the United States, Canada and Mexico under a renegotiated NAFTA trade deal, the head of Canada’s largest private sector union said on Friday.

Jerry Dias, national president of Unifor, told reporters he suggested in a recent meeting with Ross that the level be raised to 70 percent from the current 62.5 percent, and that the U.S. commerce secretary suggested a “more aggressive” level.

Ross has long advocated strengthening the rules of origin for the auto industry as a way to bring back automotive production from Asia and other non-NAFTA countries.

Negotiations to revamp the North American Free Trade Agreement are in their second round this weekend in Mexico City, where rules of origin are expected to be discussed.

U.S. negotiators, however, may not reveal specific rules of origin targets until later rounds, according to auto industry lobbyists.

Dias said he thought that a 70 percent rule would be a step in the right direction for an industry whose jobs have migrated from the United States and Canada to Mexico, and would help shift production of some automotive electronics and other parts from Asia and Europe back to North America.  (read more)

This entry was posted in ASEAN, Canada, China, NAFTA, President Trump, Trade Deal, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Canadian Labor Leader Supports Trump Position on NAFTA Auto Origination Rules…

1. mark4trump says:

We are going to get the Union members on the TRUMP train ** All of the Rust Belt will be Trump territory. In 2020 I believe Trump will win my home state of Minnesota 👍😎

• fangdog says:

“Think”?
      I cannot imagine any State in their right mind not going Trump. Afterall, what is it anyone wants for themselves, Trump does not want for all Americans?

The key to all this, we Americans have in President Trump the one person if not the only person who can make it all happen.

• Scott says:

Labor leaders are either come to the realization and acknowledge that the President is going to throw more work to its members and wants to restrict the influx of low wage workers to compete with their members or they are going to be replaced by the rank and file who do realize it and want leadership that does as well.

• thetinfoilhatsociety says:

Not a chance. Not with all those Somalis there living off eternal welfare, food stamps, and the halal only food banks.

• carrierh says:

Trump knows how to pick the right people and Ross is definitely one of them. Like Trump’s businessmen appointees because America is a BIG business and we want to stay that way.

2. WonkoTheSane says:

Real killers.

3. oldschool64 says:

“In fairness to Wilbur, he was more aggressive than I was,” Dias said of Ross’ desired North American content level.”

Well duhh!!

4. TreeClimber says:

Can’t think of a single Mexican car maker. Or Canadian one, for that matter. And with the cessation of Asian/European car parts being brought through Mexico… with the end of DAPA/DACA coming, and the last drop of gas being drained from Mexico’s economic tank, I’m thinking there won’t be a country called Mexico in twenty years.

• NickD says:

There are companies that make cars in Mexico…multi-national corporations making them there and fleecing American consumers for the pleasure

• G. Combs says:

Yes, I was very surprised to find my Brand New 1982 AMERICAN DODGE TRUCK… was made in Mexico.

Luckily I had in the contract that my mechanic got to inspect it before I handed over the cash. I handed the dealer a laundry list of items to fix before he saw dollar one. 😜

• carrierh says:

Mexico will continue but will have to grow up and stop the cartels and the corrupt rich people who take cartel monies. Unfortunately, Mexicans have been taught to be passive for over 100 years but I think they will start to wake up and say “enough” because this is our country. Just like we said: America is our country and we are taking it back!

• Indimex says:

As a Mexi myself, I so wish that were true. However, I’ve spent too much time in Mexico, Central America, and other parts of the developing world, to believe it will happen any time soon. There is such a massive lack of basic common sense. It’s almost unbelievable. Couple that with rampant poverty and corruption and the outlook is incredibly bleak.

5. rsanchez1990 says:

NAFTA is at 62.5. Canadian labor leader wants 70 and is shocked that Wilburine wants even more aggressive than that. I’d love it if Wilburine told him 100% or we kill NAFTA.

6. fleporeblog says:

Just as SD predicted! They are starting to eat their own. NAFTA has killed jobs in all three countries. That is the reality on the ground in those three countries. Mexicans and Canadians are pulling for our President and his “Killers” because the Elite in their countries have sold them out to the Globalist.

The following from the article linked above gets to the heart of what I just stated:

Dias said tougher NAFTA rules of origin would only be a small part of restoring manufacturing jobs, and that far stronger labor standards were needed to boost wages in Mexico that are far below those in the United States and Canada.

“NAFTA has been a disaster for workers in Canada, Mexico and the United States. So when he threatens to walk away from it, that’s OK. So now we need to reconfigure how we fix things,” he said.

7. Publius2016 says:

Pathetic union “leader”…truly breath-taking watching union after union falling apart. Union Members are not stupid. The more “immigrants” the more competition for jobs. The more “free trade” the more competition for jobs. No new jobs, no money to pay for “old” pensions!

8. TwoLaine says:

Dias: “He said he agreed with U.S. President Donald Trump’s threat to terminate NAFTA if it cannot be improved enough.”

Duh!

9. Niagara Frontier says:

The many Canadian Treepers serve as proof that the President has a fan club north of the border. I witness it every day too as I travel back and forth. Canadian consumers are being crushed and small businesses ruined by the policies of their own government. From the Canadian Financial Post:

Lawrence Solomon: “Believe it or not, Trump’s demands would make winners of Canadian consumers, Canadian taxpayers, the Canadian environment and the Canadian economy.”

10. kp3ace says:

What I don’t get is how they, (Soros, et al) didn’t realize that these countries would eventually protect their own. That’s how the world works, how countries, all countries grow and prosper. Makes no sense to me!
    This “class” that Sundance produces every day is just the ticket to help me in my business class this semester. Thanks, to the extreme Sundance! What I learn here every day is amazing.
    P.S. When do I get my degree? /s

11. carrierh says:

Which is why I have recommended this site to many. Real time information with real thought, deductions, answers, etc.