There has been some confusion, mostly spurred by media falsehoods, about whether or not Secretary Ross had submitted the ‘notification of intent’ letter to congress to begin the clock to renegotiating NAFTA.

Early in this video, yet again, Secretary Ross clearly states he is waiting on congress to accept the letter; ie. it was sent mid-March.

Republicans control the Senate. Republicans, not democrats in the Senate, do not want the Trump administration to renegotiate NAFTA. This is one of the clearest examples of the UniParty at work and the anti-American principles behind the U.S. Chamber of Commerce corporate lobbyists – lobbying directly against the Trump administration.  “The Big Club”.

This entry was posted in Canada, Decepticons, Economy, Legislation, media bias, Notorious Liars, President Trump, Trade Deal, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

114 Responses to Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross Discusses NAFTA and Congress Refusing to Accept “Notification of Intent” Letter…

1. If they continue to stall, Trump will scrap it. Canada and Mexico are going to have to put unseen pressure on Congress and CoC…lol

2. Who is this “congress”? I want to see a face. “Congress” is starting to get under my skin.

3. Betty says:

I wish I could remember where I read the post, or a comment, on the possible reason why the UniParty is not accepting the Letter of Intent. No one can re-negotiate anything till 90 days after the Letter of Intent is accepted.

I am sure the post/comment was something about Congress stalling so that when the 90 days are up the Trump Administration will have missed some deadline (something to do with the budget and the wall). When I write that out I am reminded of the Obamacare repeal and the tax cuts. Feels like a strategy.

• The strategy has the Democrats owing the shutdown if it happens and if Congress keeps ignoring the intent letter they own NAFTA being scrapped. The dumbasses took the cheese and walked right into the trap.

• Jedi9 says:

I really don’t understand why Trump and others who are not in the UNIPARTY club keep insisting they play along with their shenanigans. I am so sick of their obfuscation in trying to get things done. First it’s the WALL, then Healthcare, now NAFTA, I mean come on! Haven’t we seen enough to know what is really going on here? I really wish they just have the balls and call them out by exposing their motives with a systematic purge of these RINOS! Seriously! They are undermining our country’s interests, and probably are mostly responsible for the problems that continue to persist in preventing rightful solutions from taking place.

• xyzlatin says:

So they get “called out” then what? People abuse them, then what? How exactly do you “purge” officials elected for 4 years and senators for 6 years? Trump simply cannot go and sack them. If they had any decency they would accept the will of the people now. Pres Trump is doing his best. Maybe you could organize riots outside their homes like the Dems did to Ivanka with no impact whatsoever?
          This is a long term thing and there is no easy or ‘right’ solution, there is only best outcome available at the time. Pres Trump is wooing, edifying, smooging people, and doing his best.

• Somebody says:

House of representatives terms are only two years, they’re basically always up for reelection. That’s a double edged sword in that the opportunity to boot them comes around frequently, but the down side is because of that most of them are always only focused on getting reelected and not on governing.

• Jedi9 says:

Well for starters yeah publicly call them out. They need to be exposed, shamed and prosecuted in the court of public opinion. Second, start with term limits. What happened to that idea? I guess to early to tell on that one huh? It needs to happen, too many career politicians gaming the system and it needs to change!

• 22CatsInTN says:

Well, for one thing, there are still a LOT of people who have yet to see the light about these criminals. Every time Trump delays–though those of us who understand the stakes are jumping at the bit–he exposes more glaring malfeasance. There are still people who need to see it for themselves and finally get it. Those are the people who, once they come into the light, will board the Trump train.

PS Not talking about those so entrenched in their stupidity, ideology or blind faith. Talking about those who can and will eventually have a moment where the light bulb goes off and they begin to understand just exactly how badly they’ve been deceived. They will become patriots who get it and no longer vote to continue the status quo.

Reminds me of the old poem/routine…Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch.

• Notmeagain says:

But meanwhile, those who are unaware are also under attack by the media and net shills for the opposition who are pushing a “Trump is incompetent — Trump can’t get anything done — Trump is flip flopping because he didn’t do what he said” barrage. It’s a race between truth and propaganda to get those people on our side.

• 22CatsInTN says:

Yes, I know. That is why actual results will play such a big part. Who you gonna believe your eyes (and pocketbook) or the lying media? Eventually those that have the capacity to get it will. Those that don’t never will.

• cwf60 says:

The Democrats never own anything.

• I think I remember that comment but not who wrote it. The federal government’s fiscal year starts on October 1. So if they wait until 90 days before then to accept the letter, any NAFTA-related effects would be outside the 2017 fiscal year and thus unrelated to the 2017 budget. I don’t know all the angles here but I believe that was the gist of the comment. My posting game is pretty weak lately so I probably got this one wrong too, though.

• Betty says:

I think you got it. I don’t remember all the angles either but I remember I thought the commenter’s idea made a lot of sense.

• maiingankwe says:

Claygate,
        You did good. It’s what I remember too and for the life of me I can’t remember the angles either. Sometimes I take screen shots when I read an informative post that I think will help me explain things better later on. Unfortunately, I looked, I didn’t take a picture of this one. Yeah, I’m kicking myself because it was a good one.

It’s amazing how sometimes when you read something it makes such perfect sense you don’t think you have to copy it or anything, it will just stick in your pretty, little head. It’s why I’ve just gotten in the habit of taking pictures of them.
        Be well,
        Ma’iingankwe

• Betty says:

That means that they will have to dodge “the letter” till July 3. We can see that all the GOPe in the House of Representatives support Paul Ryan while, to one degree or another, pretend not to. So is that how the Senate operates too? The GOPe Senators support the sneaky tactics of McConnell while pretending not to.

Was there ever a time in the House or Senate when the members openly rebelled against their leadership? What was that like, was it subtle or open, what came of it? From the fruits of it I don’t believe that the Boehner ouster was real.

• Betty says:

I left our a skipped a step there: one McConnell has to stall till July 3; two will the members of the him get away with it? We know that most of the current members of OUR House of Representatives are more against us then for us, now we will see what the lay of the land is in OUR Senate.

Remember earlier this week when President Trump stood up for the northwest lumber industry and their sigh of relief must have been so great that Senator Widen had to make some kind of comment? So he said that “for years the people had suffered” and we all went “what, that is the first I heard of this?”. And then asked Widen “where were you “for years” while the people of your State suffered?

• Somebody says:

When POTUS talked to Mexico and Canada they agreed to renegotiate. They’d rather renegotiate than have the US withdraw. In fact I think I read that both countries were going to start the process in their respective countries to renegotiate.

Sooooo, if Mexico and Canada both open negotiations does POTUS still need congress? I don’t know all the ins and outs, but it seems to me if those countries initiate then the administration is obliged to represent the US.

• jeans2nd says:

Betty – it may have been this post – Battered Conservative Syndrome.

This has been ongoing for years, decades. More in a new post – https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2017/04/28/part-ii-why-president-trump-has-not-received-legislative-action-from-congress-and-what-can-be-done/

Use the search box located on every page here on the right side under the flickering candle. The more you use it the more you will see how long we have been grubered.

Reading through older posts here on CTH is truly worth your time, btw. One will learn much.

4. Sentient says:

Whether it’s canceling NAFTA or some other issue, I look forward to the president doing something they think he wouldn’t have the guts to do. Almost like this:

5. Johnny says:

Congress is in contempt

6. SoCalGrinch says:

I’m waiting for trump to take a ride down Pennsylvania Avenue, walk into the Senate chamber, say “you’ve been notified”, then walk out, get in his car and drive back to the White House

7. wheatietoo says:

How can Congress “not accept” that Notification Letter?

This is unprecedented…isn’t it?

I hope that Sec Ross publishes the letter…along with the date that it was sent…and declares that “Congress was Notified!”

And then just proceed on, without any ‘formal acceptance’ from the Congressional weasels.

• asawasa says:

not sure how Trump will handle it, but this is what i would do.

step 1 press conference with Ross and Trump
      step 2 have one or the other read letter on national TV
      step 3 show them handing a copy of letter to process server or some other service that shows when the recipient gets the letter.
      step 4 update public on when that letter has been served and receipt acknowledged with another press conference and announce the next step.
      step 5 begin NAFTA actions asap.

• BakoCarl says:

That’s my thought, too. The law says that Congress must be notified. It says nothing about congress having to officially “accept” a notification letter.

Picture this: The General Manager (GM) wants to fire the Maintenance Manager (MM) and is required by HR to notify the MM in writing. The MM’s secretary opens the letter and tells the MM what the letter is about so the MM refuses to “accept” it.

The GM then brings the letter to the MM in person, but the MM, being no one’s fool, refuses to “accept” it so the GM puts it on his desk and leaves.

The MM gets to keep his job forever because he refuses to “accept” the letter notifying him of his termination . . . right?

8. US says:

We learned from Secretary Wilbur Ross that China dumps cheap materials into Mexico and then they pass on the products to US.

• Plain Jane says:

Cheap materials! My beautiful Amana Radarange of 18 years died. I’ve been hunting for two weeks for a replacement microwave. Soda cans are more solidly constructed than even the microwaves costing four hundred dollars. NAFTA has pushed us into cheap, disposable consumerism.

I still have some clothing from twenty years ago that is timeless, solidly constructed, American manufactured, and done so with wonderful cotton from now defunct American southern mills. I so long for the days of fewer, but quality things.

• BG2 says:

Ok, that did it.
        Now I’m sobbing for a range of traditional US made Levis (501’s @ $178 is a gimmick) with proper hard wearing denim.
        If you truly want to have a nervous breakdown examine the Bangladeshi made Levis.
        When Harley D shifts its production to Vietnam, with the only original parts being the badges….. then it is time for the Second Coming. We’re done.

• G. Combs says:

“…. I so long for the days of fewer, but quality things.”

Boy did you nail that one! I am sick of buying something just to have it break, or in the case of plastic, disintigrate in a few months. I have muck buckets from 25 years ago still in use but had to replace the ones I bought three years ago because they crumbled after exposure to the southern sun.

I rather pay the extra $$$ to have something last. We just bought a new frig (~$1,000) and were told the life is 7 years not the 15 to 20 years we used to see. SEVEN YEAR LIFE on a major purchase? WTF???

Hubby tried to tell me the cost saving in electric bill will offset the decreased life to talk me out of getting a rebuilt older one.

OH, and the darn thing has the same foot print as the old one but is much smaller inside (More insulation) Needless to say I do not like my new fridg AT ALL!

• H.R. says:

Gail – I have mixed feelings about the refrigerator we bought 4 years ago. It is the best interior design I’ve ever seen, but that won’t matter if the thing only lasts 7 years.

P.S. Mrs. H.R. and me are in S.C. for two weeks. We waved to you and your hubby at the Winston-Salem/Yadkinville interchange on the way down and will do so on the 5th on the way back. You might notice a slight increase in the breeze that day ;o)

P.P.S. The lambs are out up the road, but I did not ask to buy one yet. They only had 6 this year. I’ll take your advice and ask about getting one.

• BG2 says:

not the 15 to 20 years we used to see.

Hee, hee….i have a large 30 year old Hoover top loading washing machine that runs like a JT8D…..about the same vintage

• Emmet Dene says:

whorlpool still made in us.

• Texian says:

To all of you who need dependable appliances. Search your local craigslist. For example, dishwasher. Get one from the late 60’s to early 80’s. KitchenAids’ were made by Hobart, a commercial grade manufacturer. Or, a Whirlpool or “Insinkerator” made by Whirlpool just as good. Doesn’t matter the color – get the optional stainless steel front panel off of ebay. Should you need a part for it – ebay. There’s a reason why these are still running after all these years. Everything new sucks, get a great deal on old American made solid built appliances from unwitting sellers who have remodeled their mid-century homes. The same with ranges/ovens. Example pics. (Check out the range/oven unit, you can see one of these in the old sitcom of “Bewitched,” she has one of these in her kitchen – and so do I. The “Frigidaire Flair Custom Imperial” with pull out drawer range, when done just push it back in. I have this Insinkerator dishwasher too. Both built like tanks and work excellent after all these years, with no problems either. Great conversation pieces too).

• usayes says:

As I’ve posted several times before, it’s all about the NAFTA Rules of Origin — the Wolverine confirmed it in this CNBC interview after he mopped up the floor with unprepared Joe Kernen.

9. Donna in Oregon says:

Thune’s name was mentioned to run for POTUS, considered more boring than Mittens so meh in 2012. McConnell is Harry Reid’s introverted twin brother.

10. BG2 says:

If the Don can deep six NAFTA by any means what’s he actually waiting for?
    He scraps it then does bilateral negotiations. This isn’t a difficult concept.

• asawasa says:

well unless trump can make them do that stupid rule inversion on treaties (2/3 majority to block ratification vs needing 2/3 majority to pass ratification) scrapping and negotiating a new trade deal will be tricky to pull off. amending the current deal may be better with a do nothing obstructionist congress.

11. Mark Johnson says:

Man that Wilbur Ross is sharp. The anchors don’t even know enough to not know what to ask. Even if they did Ross would school them. Trump hired a tough crew.

• usayes says:

It’s because T-Rex and the Wolverine are businessmen that actually HAD to deal with the NAFTA details in their businesses. These media hacks simply don’t prepare.

• Sylvia Avery says:

Agreed. I have been blown away since the first time I heard the Wilburine speak. So sharp. I am in awe, and so grateful there is another patriot willing to give up his good life to try to wrestle with the swamp gators that have taken over our country. But good heavens, Secretary Ross is one sharp, tough, cookie. I feel so reassured that he is in charge of Commerce.

12. yakmaster2 says:

The 3 “reporters” sound like doofuses. Seriously. The guy on the right, with his “why-piss-off-our-neighbors-over-petty-stuff” attitude and his sarcastic questions/comments about our billionare Commerce Secretary’s “digs” in Washington is a passive aggressive twit. But then, most of the msm is passive aggressive when they’re not busy being openly hostile to this administration.
    As for our lying, duplicitous, big-money-boot-licking Congressional Rhinos, may they find themselves dishonored in the Afterlife, if not this one. “Politics” is not a valid reason nor a justification for dishonoring responsibilities to their constituents and their country while employing subtefuge to cover up their actions/inactions—no matter how much they tell themselves betrayals are for the greater good. There’s a reason the Bible characterizes Satan, the personification of sin, as the king of LIES.
    End rant.

13. Love me some Wilbur Ross!

Holy cow. When was the last time you felt like a Commerce Sec was a SuperHero? 😀 😀 😀

14. TwoLaine says:

Shoulda’ pinned it to the lapel of Clown Schumer on one of his trips to the WH.

15. delmarvajim says:

i am all in favor of Sec’ty Ross having that “Letter of Intent” hand delivered to those idiots by Seal Team 6. If you get my drift

16. MVW says:

Trade is not just taxes and trade deals. There is a domino effect. Take manufacturing of planes. Aluminum cost is critical. Major aluminum foundries were shut down because the electric plants that supply the cost competitive power (competitive only due to cheap lignite coal, and plants located at the lignite mines) were shut down by the Obama administration.

See how that works? Anyone think these plants have a big light switch that you can just turn on and off? Big delay in restarting if it is even possible after 8 years. And these plants need to run for decades to pay for the capital cost, and in a Dhimmocracy, who will trust the next administration to not repeat the Obama experiment?

Trust is the first thing that is lost and the hardest to re-earn. And factories are not magic, they take capital and are subject to risk. High risk drives up cost, and cost can only be protected by so much tariff before the whole country becomes an island.

In short, Trump is doing carrot **and** stick to counter this. Smart. But it will take time. The national security angle is intended to take the capital risk out of the cost. Again smart.

Long term we need secure cheap electric power. You can’t count on coal, it is vulnerable. Wind and solar are boutique unicorn power sources and will never, ever, be able to power factories which run 24/7 day and night, wind or no wind. The alternative is oil and gas and will never be world wide competitive (cost compared to coal). Our problem is overseas (China, India) where coal is secure politically (not subject to fickle democracies).

There is a near term solution, but needs to be expedited against ignorance (non scientists that need advice and can’t evaluate the advice themselves), and disinformation from institutional gruberment scientists who give advice. The near term solution comes from in progress dark horse fusion electric power projects like Tri Alpha and General Fusion (and others, not the $$$ multi decade away boondoggle Tokamak projects or laser project).

Politicians and business people can’t grasp high tech, non computer science, type projects. And the science type projects are stonewalled by institutional government boondoggle science bureaucrats. A real conundrum.

Cheap reliable electric power is the Lynch Pin. It has to be expedited. Has to be for MAGA.

17. Watcher says:

The letter is being stalled until the lobbyists give them and msm their talking points.
    President Trump “intends” to balance trade and some industries won’t like his decisions.

18. I’m curious about the language which “requires” notice? There are actions which require no acceptance by the Congress, and after a period of time can result in deemed acceptance. Since NAFTA is not a treaty, only an agreement, Ross should consider this action a courtesy, not a requirement.

It’s past time to play hardball with Congressional traitors to the American people.

• BakoCarl says:

Interesting observation!

The Senate must provide “advice and consent” by way of a two-thirds majority vote in support of a proposed treaty.

The North American Free Trade Agreement, NAFTA, which established a trilateral trade bloc between the U.S., Canada and Mexico, did not follow the traditional path of a treaty. It was negotiated by the executive branch and eventually approved by majorities in both house of Congress, instead of two-thirds of the Senate, before it was signed into law in 1993.

• Since it is not a treaty ratified in accordance with Constitutional provisions, no American under any obligation to obey it. This non-treaty “Agreement” with all of the force of a treaty foisted upon us by an out-of-control Washington aided and abetted by corporate chicanery resulted in millions of Americans losing jobs, homes, families and wealth being redistributed from US to THEM.

• BakoCarl says:

From NAFTA Text:

Article 2205: Withdrawal

A Party may withdraw from this Agreement six months after it provides written notice of withdrawal to the other Parties. If a Party withdraws, the Agreement shall remain in force for the remaining Parties.

• Since NAFTA is not a treaty, having never been ratified by Congress, the language is non-binding. This is exactly the problem with the extra-constitutional “agreements” which are not treaties. Yet, businesses and individuals are punished, regulated under their auspices. In my humble opinion, they are the root of all evil and represent wholly lawless actions.

• BakoCarl says:

From the NAFTA Text:

Article 2202: Amendments

1. The Parties may agree on any modification of or addition to this Agreement.
      2. When so agreed, and approved in accordance with the applicable legal procedures of each Party, a modification or addition shall constitute an integral part of this Agreement.

• BakoCarl says:

Another pertinent piece of info from psadie:

“The 2015 fast-track trade law requires the president to send Congress a 90-day notice before he can begin trade talks—and it also requires his U.S. trade representative to brief Congress before submitting that letter. Congress has yet to confirm Mr. Trump’s trade representative nominee, Robert Lighthizer, and so he has been unable to start talks.”