President Trump has a simple economic platform: “Buy American and Hire American“; toward that goal all economic and fiscal policies are now directed to assist U.S. manufacturing companies and retain U.S. workers.  Period.

Two days ago Commerce Secretary Wilbur “Wilburine” Ross announced a 20% tariff, countervailing duties, on imported Canadian soft wood lumber.  Today, Pleasant River Lumber Co. in Jackman Maine announces their wood mills will now expand as a direct result of the beneficial impacts of even trade practices.

This is a big deal for this community.

MAINE – The Dover-Foxcroft-based Pleasant River Lumber company is expanding its Jackman sawmill in anticipation of increased demand for American lumber amid the U.S. government’s plans to levy tariffs on Canadian softwood.

In a media release Tuesday, Pleasant River Lumber said it is expanding its Moose River spruce mill in Jackman to add drying capacity this summer and hire up to 20 new workers for a second shift starting this fall.

“We have confidence with the recent tariff announcement a level playing field will exist that will allow us to invest in and expand our facilities in Maine,” said Jason Brochu, co-president of the family-owned Pleasant River Lumber.

The company employs 300 workers at its spruce and pine sawmills in Dover-Foxcroft, Jackman, Hancock and Sanford. The company acquired the Moose River Mill in Jackman in 2015, and it now produces about 85 million board feet of dimensional lumber a year.  (read more)

Some people might think this is not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.  However, it is a very big deal to that community; it is a very big deal to those families; it is a very big deal to those who will now have good paying jobs.

Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching.  As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea.  The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning!  May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!

[SOURCE]

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, Canada, Economy, Election 2016, Legislation, media bias, President Trump, Trade Deal. Bookmark the permalink.

165 Responses to Citing New Soft Wood Import Tariff, Maine Lumber Mill to Add Jobs and Second Shift…

1. Donna in Oregon says:

Yeah!!! Awesome!! Love our President. 🙂

• jdvalk says:

Cause meets effect.

• shallbe4 says:

For too many years we have had Presidents who couldn’t care less about making sure we had a level playing field when it came to trade. We now have the kind of President we should have had for the last 40 years. Thank you God.

• RG says:

I profess that economics, for some people, is a hard science to understand, As a young college student I had the privilege of having six economics teachers-one I could not understand because of his language and the other was so smart and over many of our heads that many of us dropped the class. I suspect that we have had a few Presidents who found the subject hard to understand too. They probably couldn’t fathom the cold science that doesn’t always seem to agree with a liberal heart.

That didn’t keep me from having economics as a minor, but it sure made my Dad’s comment, “economics is one of the hardest subjects you will ever study,” correct. I have always believed that high schools, especially those that push Calculus and other higher math subjects, would do well to teach economics at the micro and macro levels and throw in a few lessons on labor econ too. Many high schools limit econ to a half semester and with that your get consumer economics or a overview of economic systems at best. Me thinks that Obama can’t even spell the word economics, let alone understand it!

• shadowcole says:

In speaking with my husband a few months back, I suggested kids should be taught about income taxes too and the effect it has on the household.

• chojun says:

A better way would be to make it illegal for employers to deduct taxes from paychecks and instead require employees to pay all the tax on April 15.

There would be an uprising.

• G. Combs says:

AND the uprising would be on April 16th!

I have been saying that for years. It is the main reason the US government, contrary to their usual gaslighting, wants to do away with small business and herd us all into city apartments and corporate jobs. (aka Agenda 21)

When I opened my tiny part time business I kept very careful records of all my sales rcpts. Out of curiousity I totalled up all the OVERT taxes I paid that year (1989) the total was 64.5% of our household income. That left 35.5% of our income for our use. Now add in Reagan’s hidden 151 taxes that went into the price of a loaf of bread, and that those taxes made up more than half of the cost. In reality after all the taxes were paid we got to keep maybe 20% or less of what we made….

And the Banksters took part of that >20% left as interest payments on mortgages, credit cards, car and student loans.

[…] The average American household has total debt of more than $90,000, which includes households that live debt free. The average household with debt owes more than $130,000.

This debt burden is costing the average household more than $6,600 in interest per year — about 9% of the average income. […]

They really have sucked us dry!!!

• Orygun says:

They teach social reform(destruction) and not one thing about real life skills. My old middle school and high school had a curriculum that taught the basics of working with wood, metal and simple auto mechanics. They also taught office machines, shorthand and bookkeeping. These are all useful life skills. See if you can find anything that children can use in life being taught in school?
            The most important thing they don’t teach is right from wrong or the ten commandments.

• Fred says:

I took economics in college as well. It did not seem overly difficult, but they only taught the side where government injected money into the system to produce a compound return. They did not teach the part where, when the government takes money out of the system (taxes), that there is a compound decrease in activity. On top of that, when the government takes from the system (taxes) and returns that money to the system (injection), there is a waste in the government bureaucracy that amounts to about half of what they take in. So in reality, the net gains are small, if any, when the government interferes with the economy. On top of all of that, the only reason the government taxes the people is to fool the people into thinking that the fiat money they print is legitimate. The government can print all the money they want to, and therefore do not need to take it from the people. If the monetary system was based on precious metal, as it once was, there would be little or no inflation, and the government would have to work on a much smaller budget, constrained by its income, because they could not print money in excess of its holdings.
          Inflation is another way the government steals your money. They print more, and more, so your dollar is worth less and less.

• I’m was also an Economic major. Was going to be an accountant but changed my mind once I got into the micro and macro’s. Then a hard Life lesson happened and I could not graduate. Today I am successful beyond my wildest dreams. No, not with loads of money, but with the appreciation of what I have worked for and can say I earned.

Most think money is a finite limited resource, a myth that if I am rich, Its because i took it from you, so now you are poor. The synergy of manufacturing/production creates more value then the individual parts, plus the positive side effects. President Trump knows that without a production based economy, America will quickly degrade into a socialist economy and then into a third world h€lol whole.

Personal, I think that was by design from the elites who have tried almost successfully to bring about the NWO.

President Trump changed EVERYTHING! My heart is filled with gratitude for what this one single man (who’s only with us because he has a wife who supported him 100%) has done to change the course of history for America.

• maiingankwe says:

Mz. Molly Anna,

I just wanted to say, you did good, and some are dang proud of you. You understand it takes hard work, and years of it, and you know the bottom line (money) isn’t the grand prize in life, it’s knowing your successes and what you have accomplished in life besides money.

Yes, you’ve done good, and I am for one proud of you. Take a moment and smile with all you have done. You’ve more than earned it.

Be well, and stay smiling,
            Ma’iingankwe

• Ploni says:

So true. And it’s at the core of the Leftists’ dreamology.

Thanks for posting.

• mimbler says:

I’d agree with you except I shudder to think the type of economics that would be taught in the young marxists program we call public education in the US,
          Mike

• keith says:

Economics is the science of the new. As in new term for old subject. Continual renaming (with great regard for spinning, posturing and obfuscating) of older concept in order to have a PhD. Economics in truth is merely a study of human interaction that uses numbers and dollar signs to measure those interactions. The fact that people are the same as they ever were would not lead to new discoveries, hence the renaming, eg QE vs printing money.

• Paul Killinger says:

Either they weren’t smart enough to understand it, didn’t know how to fix it, or were working against it all along.

• kp3ace says:

If you were lucky enough to come from a state that taught it at all. I don’t consider this “The United States of America”, this is the Divided States of America.

• G. Combs says:

I just want to interject a concept I ran across rather recently that Trump has brought up several times when tallking about Illegals sending millions of dollars out of the US economy to Mexico. SEE: https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/12/01/trump-effect-mexicos-central-bank-chief-resigns/

The Local Multiplier Effect (LME)
        If you can grasp this concept, you can see WHY illegals shiping money to Mexico is crippling to our US communities.

[…] History and Impact

Over the past 50 years, the expansion of national businesses into local domestic markets has diverted this vital monetary stream and redirected it to centralized corporate coffers. There it is spent on large capital expenditures, overseas goods and all too frequently inflated executive salaries. This interception of funds has depleted local towns and cities across our nation of an important source of funds: recirculated income.

It has been estimated that about a century ago, thriving industrial communities had a LME in the high 20s or low 30s. Today it’s estimated to be in the single digits. This reduction in the number of rounds that monies make has had an extremely negative effect on our local economies. All areas of community life are affected by this deficit. This lost treasure of local economies was never measured, monitored, managed or even acknowledged.

Besides the obvious poverty-related problems of unemployment, underemployment, homelessness, and lack of funds for social and public health needs, there is also the issue of creating an unhealthy reliance on a vast commercial network of imported goods. […]

A Pew Report I read, where I first came across the concept, said a dollar circulated 7 times in rural areas with local farmers. When corporate livestock farms moved in the dollars never circulated and instead left the community immediately essentially killing the community.

This is why I try to shop at local small businesses even if it costs a bit more.

• helix35 says:

Meanwhile, idiots like Ann Coulter are whining that the wall is being built exactly according to her timetable.

2. BobBoxBody says:

Like I said, this is how he’s going to win people over. Even with all the crap that the Uniparty tries to stop him, there’s still lots he can do to help the Forgotten People. THOSE people are going to remember who talked and the ones that actually FOLLOWED THROUGH. And that’s part of how he will beat the Swamp.

I’m waiting for him to propose some kind of way for student loan debt to be discharged. And I bet he will. Once he does that, liberal or not, he’ll suck up a LOT of the college vote right there.

This is what I think of when people get down about Trump being hobbled by the Swamp. We’ve only begun to fight!

• wheatietoo says:

You think Pres Trump should find a “way for student loan debt to be discharged”?

Sorry, but this would open a can of worms that would end up pissing off more people than it would please.
      — It would be unfair to all the people who have paid off their student loans.
      — It would be unfair to all the people who saved, worked hard & didn’t have student loans.
      — It would be unfair to taxpayers who are paying off the Nat’l Debt.

It would be a huge ‘Snowflake Bailout’ to ungrateful leftists who would not even say “thank you”…and keep on voting for Dems.

It would also be used as a ‘precedent’ for establishing Free Tuition, like Bernie Sanders claimed that students were entitled to.

So I think that Pres Trump would end up losing more voters that he would gain, if he did such a thing.

• BobBoxBody says:

Yeah except that I think a lot of these people aren’t necessarily “special snowflakes”. You also seem to forget that college as it is today is a scam and that a lot of people had it drilled into their “heads” their whole lives to go because that was how you got a good job. I didn’t, but boy that was the push. And for what?

Student loan forgiveness is NECESSARY. Too many people are in debt and can’t get ahead, and it isn’t just the SJWs that are affected by it. The whole “college” thing is a bubble that very badly needs to be burst, and reforms need to be made that reward schools for pushing merit and hard, useful-in-life courses over courses that just exist to rip off students. The solution isn’t “free tuition” so much as it’s making college subject to the same kind of efficiency that Trump has been using so far in his administration.

Believe it or not, but there is a middle ground between “free college for everyone” and “go into debt for the rest of your life because you need a degree and these gatekeepers will make you jump through as many hoops as they want because they know you can’t go to anybody else”.

Believe me, if Trump does that–and I think he will–there’s plenty of college people that will love him, SJW or no. It’ll also SOLVE a lot of social problems that come from college today. You can get rid of the deadbeats that have nothing of value to society and get more people that have hard skills to pass on to people that will be of use. Simple as that.

• wheatietoo says:

Sorry, I just don’t see that ‘student debt forgiveness’ is a solution…at all.

It would create a lot of resentment and outrage, where there is none today.
          And where would you stop?
          People paying on fed mortgages would probably say “Hey, I want debt forgiveness too!”

I do agree, though, that “college as it is today is a scam”.
          Yes. It is.

But we are Broke.
          We are borrowing money to pay for things like ‘student loans’.
          I think we should stop all these govt-made student loans until we are no longer borrowing billions to keep the govt afloat…and are finally paying down the Debt.

• shallbe4 says:

If you want to go to college you need to have a skill which requires a College education. The cost of higher education could be paid partially or fully by companies eager to hire those who have finished college.

• doit4atlas says:

Baloney! The company would have to cover that cost somehow, they do that by passing it along to the consumer in the price of the product they are producing and selling. We ALL pay then. If you want to go to college, go for it, by all means, but leave ME out of your decision!

• ken says:

There is a thing called OJT(on the job training). My old CPO (Chief Petty Officer) when i was in the CG once told me when I reported on board for duty to forget all the crap they taught me in school, and to learn from hands on how it’s done in the real world. ‘nough said

• eagledriver50 says:

When I was NCOIC of Education for the base and I would have airmen come in and say they wanted to apply for student loan, I then explained to them that the loan CANNOT BE DISCHARGED IN BANKRUPTCY COURT…I then went on an asked what degree they were getting they needed to get a SL. Most of the time it was some university pushing this nonsense. I had a lot of universities po’ed at me but I would not bend to the will of these leeches…

• keith says:

Compromise:

Make the student loans the sole content of congressional pension funds.

• Fe says:

I disagree. Forgiving student loans would be a major slap in the face of personal responsibility and to those who have paid back their loans, which includes my children. It would be irresponsible to forgive their loans. Nobody forced these SJWs and others to go to college, they each had a choice to go or not to go, free will, free country. I will agree that college tuition is out of control and that is what needs to be reigned in.

Both of my children went to college and assumed some debt as did we as their parents (all paid back). My son has stated several times it was worth every penny. He has a terrific job as a consultant helping companies set up and maintain their warehouse inventory systems. No way he gets this job without the degree he studied for in supply chain management/IT. His wife has a masters degree in accounting, she has a position with much responsibility and is paid very well for it.

My daughter worked for awhile out of college doing what she loved, writing for a newspaper. She is now a stay at home mom and homeschools her two daughters. What she learned in college helped give her the skills and tenacity to pursue homeschooling. Her husband is the exception here, he does not have a college degree (he has some college) but he works in a skilled trade industry, and has a very well paying job.

• wheatietoo says:

That’s insane.
              But then…it’s govt boneheads.

So they’re offering to let students roll their student debt into a mortgage on a home?

They can then just default on that mortgage…and walk away from their student debt.

There is a name for this.
              It’s called Money Laundering.

It’s also called Stealing from the Public Purse!

• WalksByTheWater says:

Kind of. A key difference is that the student loan is, by itself, collateralized by the work/indenture of the person (and potentially mis-informed parents who co-signed the loan). If the loan is tied to a piece of property, that serves as ‘partial’ collateral for whatever $ value can be obtained in a foreclosure; the person and co-signers still being on the hook for whatever is left.

Forward looking, there must be a change in the whole process.
                1. The government needs to stop backing/insuring loans. This backing is closely matched to a long term trend in education expenses at undergrad, grad, and post-grad levels.
                2. This will quickly result in a decrease in available funding. Lending institutions will suddenly become selective about lending. This will result in a decrease in enrollments at college; no funding is available. This will, over time, produce a decrease in tuition and likely result in financial distress for some colleges and universities. There will be pain there, but it would be a necessary pain to move the US back to a market demand driven approach to higher education.
                3. This will, long term, result in the reduction and removal of fake education (trademark pending :)). Do you want to see what is real education? Removal federal backing of student loans.
                4. Many lifetime students will face the life-defining decision of getting off their rear and actually working for a living.

This addresses the forward-looking part. Now we have this large collection of people caught in the middle.

Removing the ability to discharge student loans via bankruptcy, as well as the government ‘backing’ of loans, is closely tied to the increase in higher education costs, As a general principle, the law regarding bankruptcy and student loans is wrong; designed not for the benefit of the country, but for the benefit of many banker-slavers. It should be done away with.

I accept the concept of ‘fairness’. I get it that people made decisions based upon how the system worked in their day; they worked hard, scrimped, saved, paid… and ultimately cleared themselves. Some scrimped, saved, paid….. and were hammered by the system into financial ruin. What are the alternatives? Do you want a system where people become government employees… dependents for years of their life to pay off their debt? Do we want to perpetuate a system where people go to school for the government…. work for the government… then become freed of their government service to be ‘productive members of society’? What will the result of that be in 10 years?; 20, 30?

Let’s say my proposal for removing government backing of loans and the removing of the bankruptcy restrictions were to pass. For someone starting school after that day… who goes to school and finds themselves in a real situation where bankruptcy is the only viable option, as opposed to someone who started school two months before under the ‘current’ system. Is it fair for the post law change person to declare bankruptcy and the pre law change person to not be able to do so? What about when the current system was put into place under Bill Clinton. Those who had taken out loans under the pre-Clinton era were now covered by a different set of rules. Was that fair?

Here is my closing point. I recognize and applaud the work of those who navigated the miserable system that exists today, or who just went without higher education (I am one of those; because I would not borrow money for college and I was not going to put my wife to work to put me through college). I get that if the law was changed, some people would probably declare bankruptcy; lying their way through. Tell me a day in human history where that does not happen. But, and this is where the money, stress, tension, and political fire is at. What is in the long term best interests of those who come after us, our present way of life, the sorry state of higher education, and the financial bandits who are a blight on our nation…. Do we not change the laws to cover all because it is in fact, or perception, unfair to some?

Grace to us all.

• BobBoxBody says:

Exactly. This is what I was getting at in my statement. It’s just another part of the Big Government scam that financially screws over those who don’t know any better. Ultimately having some kind of loan forgiveness (or reduction) will be a kick to the nads of the Federal Government AND when paired with college reforms can make it more affordable so that it isn’t necessary to go into debt to go in the first place.

• eagledriver50 says:

Those boneheads are part and parcel of the deep state. The PONZI needs to keep going no matter what!!!

• ChelleP says:

I don’t normally post here, and can’t decide which one to respond to, so here goes. Simple debt forgiveness would breed resentment from those that have paid or worked their way through, and frankly, a SJW would still bite your hand even if you paid off their loans and did their laundry. Those hardworking kids from middle class families that got REAL degrees and are buried in debt, that deserve relief, could benefit from a different solution other than direct debt forgiveness. A program where they work in whatever field they are now qualified in, but as a national service for X number of years. It would mean lean living for them, but a clean start when they are done. There is probably something like this already, I couldn’t possibly have a new idea.

• mamadogsite says:

Some of us in the 60s actually worked our way through college and then worked 2 jobs to pay off our student debt.

Many of us went on to extremely successful careers as a result of our ethics and hard work. We were all poor when we began our various journies, and it is amazing how far we have come.

I am proud to call these people my friends…both Dems and Repubs.

Guess we were blessed to have come of age in an era where respect, and pride in ourselves, our country and for others was the norm. The anti-Viet nam facists were just beginning, and numbered a smaller percentage than the facists today. My friends and i were too busy studying and working to pay them much attention.

Not one on my circle of friends defaulted on student loans or mortgages despite being poor. Nope…we just worked longer hours or second jobs. Even running our businesses…we were 1st into work, last to leave. Did our own janitorial and maintenance work as well until we could afford to hire someone. Never gave it a second thought. And now we’re retired, comfortably, and shaking our heads in disbelief of what we’re witnessing on campuses, classrooms, and government. Were there cheaters and crooks in our generation? Of course. But they were Arrested and Ostracized. They definately were not glorified.

Just the opposit to today where honesty is villified and anarchy glorified.

Anyway, that’s why so many retired successful, wealthy, business people can relate to Mike Rowe and his “America’s dirtiest jobs” show. 😁😁😁

We’ve actually been there and done that before we got to the top. We took risks, paid our bills, and challenged ourselves to go higher and farther. Not much whining as we were reminded by the fathers and grandfathers of the greatest generations..(WWl and WWll) of how they gave up their college and business dreams to fight to keep our borders and families safe.

So we paid our loans, started our lives, businesses, careers and families.

No time for snowflake drama.

We had goals to achieve.

• DHarvey says:

I agree that student loans should not be forgiven. But what could be done is to provide extremely low interest refinancing that spreads the loans over a longer time period so that the monthly ‘nut’ coming out of college would be affordable. Perhaps over time as any given student’s future income increases, there could be an incentive provided to increase the principal payments and perhaps reduce or eliminate the interest portion.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

DH: This is how it works already. My student loan rate is 4%. I have had a couple points where I was in transition between positions, and I simply called up the student loan people and asked to have the required monthly payments stop for a few months. They did this. After a few months, I resumed paying.

What more could I ask for? For them to enclose a mint in each month’s bill?

• AM says:

How about partial forgiveness? How about zero interest loans? How about expanding forgiveness programs for community service, say? Let’s free these kids from a bondage pushed on them by the government, parents, and teachers.

• John says:

NO! Not just no. Hell NO!. My kids wen to college. I helped them pay for it, They helped pay for it. We all lived lean. No debt.

Why should I now be saddled with paying for someone else’s student loans? Leave my money out of this discussion.

If you think it’s a really good idea, I fully support your decision to spend your money on somebody’s bad decision. Start a go-fund-me if you want. If it’s a popular idea then lots of people will agree with you and the money will just start pouring in. If you, personally, feel really strongly about it, write somebody a check today!. There is nothing holding you back.

“The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people’s money.” – Margaret Thatcher.

• maiingankwe says:

John, I said your first line out loud and hit the exclamation point with all I could muster. I agree, not only NO! But Hell No! Keep your hands off my hard earned money. If I can do it, so can they.

It’s like a number of these snowflakes know they will be in debt and they don’t care. Mom & Dad have always bailed them out before, so why not the government? So many of these kids simply don’t care. They don’t live in reality, and cannot fathom why they should be responsible for their own debt. I’ve listened to them. I’ve heard them. I’ve laughed at them. And I told them no, I refuse to pay for them. Their attitude? Well, if the government says you have to pay then you have no choice.

I hope the good Treepers saw what my reply was for that. They dug their own hole with that retort. Yeah, if the government demands you pay them back for the money you owe them, than you don’t have much choice do you snowflake?

• keith says:

How about colleges being on the hook for the loans.

• I agree with you the millennials who want their loans paid up are lazy and no good only want to join riots instead of studying! I couldn’t imagine my parents reaction if i did what they are doing now! My kids grew up responsibly and to pay their debt if any and not to have any debt.

• AM says:

*Your* kids had parents not programmed by the borg that college was everything. That would be different from many kids. Whatever Trump offers, it will probably be reduction and reform of the student loan program. Reduce the loans and get claw backs from all the institutions building beautiful buildings and hiring pointless administrators.

• Lucille says:

“…get claw backs from all the institutions building beautiful buildings and hiring pointless administrators.” This is exactly the problem.

Expenses for higher learning institutions are completely out of hand. Administrators, professors, advisors and their attendant departmental expenses need to be brought way down so that students aren’t keeping these folks in their well-off lifestyles while the students end up as debtors-forever.

Parents also need to do a tad better parenting and refuse to send their children to institutions which scam the students in every possible way. Possibly for a large percentage of these children college isn’t even the best method of finding a satisfying career. A bit of backward looking needs to come into play–apprenticeships, inexpensive trade schools, high school mechanics, computer science, art, etc. should be emphasized.

There are many solutions other than using taxpayer monies to pay for the uninformed decisions of parents and children. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY IS THE KEY.

• shallbe4 says:

Bob I totally agree with you. College is a scam today. Most who finish college still can’t find jobs. However, we need more skilled labor and if high schools or schools who have the facilities to train those with manual skills we could get rid of expensive schools loans. Trump will be creating so many jobs that will require those skills and millions of middle class jobs could be created.

• mireilleg says:

We used to teach skills at every level of education, now we don’t. When we were in grammar school, we learned grammar (go figure) and punctuation as well as other skills to move on. High schools also taugh useful skills. I have grand children one who just finished HS and one who will graduate next year. Neither have learned much of anything usable. They read books and learned a few things to pass the test then promptly did it again on another topic. The one who is out will be getting “a college degree” in welding. Welding is a usable and useful skill, when has it become a college degree? This happened when technical school could charge more and collect more from students loans and gvt grant if they declared themselves junior colleges. It was not cool for a while to say you were going to a tech school, junior college sounded much better. So it was worth paying more. Ridiculous.

• maiingankwe says:

Shallbe4,
            Technical schools are having a come back since our President came into office. I’ve heard this on the radio and read about it. I think it’s most excellent. Technical colleges are great for so many of our kids.

• BobBoxBody says:

I agree with that too. Just saying that there are those that are impacted by the current college scam that could use some help having a fresh start. Not all of them are a bunch of entitled spoiled brats. And the amount of….”passionate discussion” this has caused kind of floors me. You’d think they’d see the bigger picture here of how both the Federal Government and the current college system intertwine to help perpetuate a lot of these problems and how giving students that got hoodwinked by the system a fresh start, or at least an easement of their financial suffering.

You people do realize that some of these students work two+ jobs to pay off their loans, right? Because they can’t get real jobs cuz they all got outsourced? I don’t want to monolithicly classify all college students as SJWs because they aren’t. However, ultimately the SJW issue stems from the current college environment of forcing students to take garbage, make-work courses that rob them of their money while also brainwashing them. Pairing some kind of debt relief with college reform to deal with a lot of this crap (and having a bigger push on technical schools) would help the non-SJWs out which in turn helps the economy, and of course it MIGHT help wake up the SJWs out of their brainwashing. A lot of these people are VICTIMS of the college scam. Once they realize they’ve been conned, they’ll stop being victims and start taking charge of their lives again.

Or perhaps that just makes me an entitled lazy person or something….:P

• Deep Blue C says:

Yes, some colleges today are a scam, and exactly whose fault is it for not seeing that and taking a different route? (Hint: It ain’t the government’s fault!!!) After all, there are lots of scams out there, and it’s up to us to avoid them!

Now there IS government funding that needs to stop going to colleges, but that’s a different argument altogether.

• Deep Blue C says:

Oops! Forgot to mention that a friend from K-12 days (who has two kids in our old school) said the school was offering both college and technical classes to kids today. So some places are moving in the right direction with this!

• Not all college degrees are a “scam”.

Four of my children are engineers and the fifth is a CPA.

You can attend and then graduate from a school of higher learning without being “scammed”.

It is just like everything else in life, you have to pay attention.

I disagree with the attitude here of some of the posters that college is a scam.

• unconqueredone says:

Student loan DEBT is necessary. Over a trillion dollars of guaranteed interest income for the government helps prop up the federal government.
          Forgiving that debt will ensure Trump is a one term president. He won w/o most of the brainwashed college crowd. They are an entitlement minded group and are not going to vote for him regardless. Think obozophones: the recipients have now been trained to think it’s their due and are always going to vote for more freebies. If you want to solve the student loan debt “crisis” stop making so much money available so easily. You will cease to have so many graduates with worthless degrees who no one is eager to hire because they have a piece of paper making them think they are worth more than they are.

• mireilleg says:

Can you please tell me why you think he will? I don’t remember anything he said about that. I do agree with you on the fact that something must be done. I read once that it would be cheaper for the gvt to pay off all debts then change the higher education funding so we could return to sanity. Is it doable? Is it fair? I just read a reply from someone to you telling us how unfair it would be. Well the unfair cry is what the libs have been screaming for decades. Life is not fair. I should think that is not the argument we should push forward. I admit to some hypocrisy here, as I have used the unfair argument when it comes to immigration. Time for me to be more careful.

• Paul Killinger says:

Bernie will do that and offer the next generation free college to keep the Safe Space kiddies in line.

Incidentally, as crazy as school prices have become, there is nothing that prevents anyone from obtaining an affordable first class education.

And there are lots of ways to do it, they just have to figure out HOW.

Which is also the key to reforming the system (supply and demand).

• Bendix says:

When I hear the real life stories of individuals trapped in student debt, it becomes clear to me that they were scammed, with the help of the government.
          Many cannot pay it off, as whatever they pay goes to service fees and interest, it’s like owing their souls to the company store.
          On top of that, they get to see others sail on through school without a care in the world, because they were somehow designated as needy, based on demographics.
          I think some sort of debt reform is in order, maybe knock off those fees and the exorbitant interest. If you fell on hard times, which many Americans did due to the global financial crash, which was caused by government, you could find relief through bankruptcy, but thanks to George Bush, your student loan debt just kept snowballing. The government used the excuse of one person trying to milk the system, to lock Americans into eighteenth century debtor’s hell.
          Perhaps some sort of accommodation, with the actual colleges which overcharged refunding some of the money, to go toward paying down a reduced principal, and the fees and interest disappear.
          To those who paid back their loans, they should perhaps get a partial refund from the school, if they overpaid.
          A government that can throw around money for the likes of Cash for Clunkers can do something for Americans who were just trying to better themselves.
          How many of the suicides, in the fastest growing segment (older men), owed student loan money they could never pay back? Remember, it is typical for the middle class and up to pay for their offspring’s college. These men got hit hard by layoffs, and will never work again in their fields or at any job that pays anything like what they earned previously.
          What were they supposed to do, ask their adult children for the money, after it was given to them? I can’t imagine how shameful that would feel.

• maiingankwe says:

I agree with Wheatietoo,

I for one would be severely ticked off. I’m one of the people who paid my own way throughout the universities I attended. I paid cash the whole way. Yes, some semesters I had to take off to work three jobs, but I graduated owing no one a single dime. Nada. Nothing. I owned that piece of paper straight out.l, and I’m damned proud of it.

Within two weeks of graduating I got one heck of a great paying job. I was hired because of my work ethic and not owing anyone anything.

I think what needs to be fixed is these government loans.

In addition, if there are any parents about to send their kids off to school or individuals wanting to go back, please, take a look at all of the scholarships out there. There millions upon millions of dollars not being used every year because kids either don’t know about them, or are too dang lazy to write a simple paper. So what if one is for $200 here or books only there. It all adds up and it adds up quick. There is a scholarship for everyone, one just has to look. I was so kicking myself when I found a trove of scolarships just for me. I didn’t find them till the end. Please, there is a lot of money not being used, go get them, they are just sitting there to be grabbed up for a great cause. You or your child’s education.

These kids know they either have to have rich parents or they will have to pay off huge loans. If they cannot afford it, they shouldn’t be going there. There is no reason why I should be paying for their arrogance and mistakes. It’s not right, and it’s not fair. Nothing is for free.

• Cetera says:

It’s grossly unfair to pressure inexperienced, naive young adults (students) into taking money under circumstances and restrictions they do not understand, including the inability to pay the loans back (job market, value of degree, job prospects, etc), and most especially the inability to discharge the loan under any bankruptcy.

It’s loan-sharking under the worst of circumstances, basically under duress and ignorance, as a way to create permanent, life-long debt slaves. They are beholden to the gov’t, and the “institutions” and their liberal agenda profits off the backs of their new slaves.

People who have struggled and sacrificed and payed back their loans should be commended, as should those who knew better, were better informed, and made better decisions. But please, don’t ever try to sell the properness of malicious debt slavery under the concept of “fairness.” Fairness as a concept allows for children and idiots to participate in conversations, and has no bearing on life or reality at any level.

Rather than fairness, we need to talk about what is acceptable to both parties. Is it acceptable to have debt slavery, and debt masters? If that answer is no, then we need to find another solution.

Is forgiveness of student loans given to people who should have known better (but have been treated as perpetual children for the last 20+ years and therefore were illprepared for the decision) acceptable?

I’m not asking you to like it, but would you accept the necessity of it, or the need for an economic future for your fellow citizens?

Something to ponder.

• wheatietoo says:

Debt slavery?
          You mean like all of us who are forced to pay off a Nat’l Debt that we had no say in creating?

I was not aware that these students were “pressured” into taking out student loans.
          They could have said ‘No’.

Us taxpayers weren’t even asked if we wanted to be in Debt.
          Our politicians just racked up the debt and charged it to us.
          ^This^…is what I would call “malicious debt slavery”.

• Cetera says:

I believe we fought a war over that once, and the rallying cry was “No taxation without representation.”

You get to vote, and you are represented, ergo, you have a say.

If you would like to make a counter argument about defaulting on all those who have purchased various treasury instruments in the passed, and make a deal that can be acceptable to all parties, please write to Trump and let him know. That would be a very good thing to have thought through.

• Grad says:

Just so you know, a federal student loan is offered to 18 year olds as a “financial aid award”. It is part of their “award package” along with grants and scholarships.

The schools encourage the “do not repay” mindset from the getgo.

• eagledriver50 says:

I would also like to point out that these universities have YUUGE Social Programs in just about anything that is not tied to Science. When I went back to my Alma Mater, the Engineering building was the same building along with physics and chemistry buildings but the social nonsense…exploded use of building…

• shallbe4 says:

When I was a child I remember that not everyone graduated from College. But you didn’t have to graduate from college to find middle class jobs.

• doit4atlas says:

That’s crap. I TOOK OUT STUDENT LOAN and paid it off, then changed careers when I was 40, took out another student loan and paid that off. I don’t see why I now have to pay off everyone else’s student loan!

• mopar2016 says:

Exactly!
            If you can’t afford it, you can’t afford it.
            You look for alternative ways to pay.
            Why should I be on the hook for some airhead that’s studying banana farming in Alaska, or white privilege studies? This entitlement attitude is being taught nationwide.
            I don’t buy things that I can’t afford. That used to be common sense.

• MfM says:

Absolute baloney. If you are too stupid to know that loans need to be repaid then you shouldn’t be going to college.

If you have debt, suck it up, cut expenses and pay it back. A rip roaring economy and cutting down on Visas, will be the biggest help Trump can give.

• mimbler says:

Exactly, these people are over 18. At that age I had already been a year in the army. Which, incidentally, I joined as a way to pay for college. After 3 years in the army, I went and got a BSME degree in 2 and 1/2 years, so I still graduated about the same age as these snowflakes who spend 5 or 6 years getting their degree in ethnic basket weaving.

So no, I don’t want to have my taxes increased to pay for these loser’s college debts. Nobody twisted their arms. And they are living pretty high on the hog while attending college, whereas I and many others went through college on the intense poverty plan.

With a good technical degree, I never spent a day unemployed in my entire career,
            Mike

• I agree MfM.

When an 18 year old takes on borrowed money to go to school, part of their education is understanding that they must pay it back.

If this education principal is not hit home all the way, we end up wit a lot of ignorant snowflakes.

When college graduates whine and snivel that paying back the money they owe the rest of us is “too hard”, a very good life lesson is just not learned.

• Labouroflove says:

Agreed,

‘78,79’,80′ I’m had several student loans, all paid off.

My life went on, bought cars homes and an aircraft even……

Then in 2005, out of the blue I got a ding on my credit report, 790 past due, student loan???

This was paid but I no longer had the proof…….. 30+ years later.

I paid it again, they attached it to my taxes.

Insane

Cheers

• eagledriver50 says:

Sorry you got bent-over again and had the cheekies spread but to come back 30 yrs later is not right esp. after you paid the loan(s) off. That amount should have been the chaser fee I bet…

• John says:

If you think it’s a good idea, I fully support your decision to spend your money on alleviating another’s bad decision. Start a go-fund-me if you want. If it’s a good idea then lots of people will agree with you and the money will just start pouring in. If you, personally, feel really strongly about it, write somebody a check today! Go ahead – pay off part of their debt. There is nothing holding you back.

Just don’t presume to make any decisions about what other people do with their own money. “There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it.” – P.J O’Rourke

• Bob says:

This idea of loan forgiving reminds me of after Obama got elected when people went to their banks looking to get their mortgage paid off and a bag of free money they thought Obama promised them.
        Some where along the educational process they have removed two important words from the English language……Accountablity and Responsibility. And we already know common sense died a tragic death a few decades ago in the American political arena.

• Rejuvenated says:

No…. if these millennials want loan forgiveness or money for college, they can serve in our military and be useful and productive to the country. If they have their degree already, most military branches help repay loans when you enlist as an officer; no degree gets you the GI Bill which I believe they raised from 20k since I went through.

• AM says:

Why not? Let’s recognize that the millennials have gotten a raw deal, but they can help get worked out and through. Make the goal freedom from a debt slavery pushed by the government, all public schooling, and mindlessly by many if not most American parents.

And let’s face it, millennials are spoiled brats, it’s American parents that are to blame. That’s what kills me about these comments. If your kids are jerks, there’s usually some soul searching that most will absolutely avoid – “It’s the kid’s fault!” Really?

• mireilleg says:

You cannot enlist as an officer, sorry.

• Paul Killinger says:

There you go, you can join the military to get the money for college. (And, yes, they have plenty of non-combat jobs.)

But unless you’re already rich, don’t major in Slavic history or the French language unless you have a specific goal in mind.

Conversely, I suspect almost all IT and medical science majors who want them can obtain starter jobs.

• MfM says:

I’m against student loan forgiveness. Besides all the reasons others have given there are plenty of people who chose not to go to school or stopped going to school because with the Obama economy they saw no path to getting a job and repayment.

Loans weren’t just used for school but for living expenses. Additionally they racked up credit card debt. College loans got used for vacations, eating out and toys. A lot of wants were paid for instead of just basic needs.

College tuition has skyrocketed, but the number of kids working part time jobs and living on the cheap while in school has plummeted. We’re is the belt tightening after graduation? There are new cars, cable TV, vacations and a standard of living that means repaying loans is difficult… or no job at all and still living at home.

Outright forgiveness is a terrible idea, some programs like what are already in place maybe reasonable. Those snowflakes who got a $150,000+ degrees from the CIA (Culinary Inst. of America) and still can’t cook a meal worth eating have no one but themselves to blame. Or a degree in dance, when all they will ever do is teach little girls to have fun at the local Y.

The best thing President Trump can do is get a rip roaring economy so that repaying loans and credit card debt is easier.

• Shootingstar says:

I agree with the previous posters about other means to pay back loans other than “forgiveness.” In my case, when I was in high school and showed strong ability to attend college, my mother went to beauty school to pay for my education, my husband’s parents rented their seaside home every summer for years (moving into very sparse nearby housing with primitive cooking and bathing facilities) to pay for his college (and medical school.). A friend, who went to dental school, gave back 2 years at a federal Indian reservation to pay for his schooling. At my college, probably 50% worked in some capacity right at the school during the year with their work hours applied to their fees. Higher education today seems more like an opportunity to leave home with car, credit card, a rental truck filled with “necessities” like TV, microwaves, mini-refrigerators, new linens and furniture, etc. and 4 years of “discovering” themselves. Reminds me of parents paying tens of thousands for their daughter’s “dream wedding” and four years later there’s nothing to show for it.

• MfM says:

New Linens are maybe the only thing needed to start off in a dorm. Many colleges have gone with single extra long beds.

When I went to school everything people took to school was a hand-me-down. Now you can walk into any Bed/Linen store over the summer and see carts piled high with everything under the sun and all of it matching. I have been behind people and the bill was over $500 !

• G. Combs says:

The BEST way to deal with the student loan debt is to create GOOD PAYING JOBS and that is what President Trump is doing!

Sheez — Please think it through people and drop the ‘Government Should’ mindset.

3. Lou says:

I’ve been a protectionist for years. I had a very knowledgeable microeconomics teachers that would speak to me for hours in her office back in the 1980’s before college became PC. Protectionism creates manufacturing jobs. She was a big fan of Sam Walton who used to advertise “Made in the USA”. She used to tell me at the time that there was a consolidated effort by both parties to promote free trade. I learned a lot from Ross Perot also.

• JudgeFudge says:

Big League. People forget from Washington to around Ford, we pretty much had a strong tariff, 25% or greater. South America never had tariffs, the elites there wanted European imports, didn’t care about creating middle class jobs. That’s why they’re mostly poor, except Argentina which DID have big fat tariffs.

The American System isn’t Free Trade, it’s Tariffs. And the Great Depression was not caused by tariffs, only 5% of US GDP was exports at the time, and it was mostly wheat, oil, coal, raw materials.

The Free Trade ideologues have made what was known to most American schoolkids into “Hidden History”.

• Richard says:

America does not really have a student loan problem – it has a jobs problem (a lack of them combined with excessive imports of immigrant workers and excessive outsourcing). Fix the jobs problems so everyone can get a job and all of the student loan problems go away or at least get manageable.

• unconqueredone says:

The problem may be partly outsourcing, but a lot of it is bad advice to prospective college students. They are encouraged to “pursue their interests” and get useless degrees, while being told the “average” college student earns big bucks (but not made aware that that includes truly useful degrees in the formula). They are also not duly terrified of the consequences of debt that cannot be erased and is generally not forgiven. If you want to start fixing the problem, quit allowing the system to require the parent’s information and trying to draw them into their adult child’s debt as well.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Yup.

We now have the mind set that “everyone” should get a degree – even a young woman or man who has NO idea what they would get a degree in.

Would you go to the small business administration and ask for a small business loan of $100,000, with a business plan of “I don’t know, but I will get back with you on that in four years?”

The Marxists are elitist intellectuals, and they perceive that everybody should be like them. And, that the government should provide this to everybody.

4. SpanglishKC says:

And the MSM’s response….

Crickets…

• sunnydaze says:

They will never. ever. report on the positive things that have been happening every single day between Trump and his Administration.

NEVER!

If they did, Americans would be too happy and satisfied. Can’t have that!

• shallbe4 says:

They don’t need to report the positive things Trump is doing. The fact that ordinary people are far more positive about the way this country is going is enough.

• Deep Blue C says:

Exactly! I was about to type the same thing.

I think of this as a slow-motion coup (or a slo-mo reverse coup–where Trump takes power from the government and gives it back to the people–eventually, of course, that translates into $$). And when you start “messing” (either positively or negatively) with people’s money, they’re going to set up and take notice–in spite of what the media does or does not tell you.

5. Janice says:

I went away for few minutes thinking Sundance was done for evening,. Came back to another article with yet another win for America! Thank you God for Trump!

6. MrE says:

From now into the forseeable future, any time a liberal asks me in disgust how I could possibly support Donald J. Trump as our President, this will be the first thing I show them.

This is what MAGA looks like. And it’s a beautiful thing to witness.

#ThatsMyPresident

7. Gil says:

Starfish story and rally guy analogy. Wonderful SD.

8. auntiefran413 says:

I can’t take it any more…WIN, WIN, WIN!

9. sunnydaze says:

This is a HUGE deal for that area and word of this will spread like wildfire thru the whole of North and Mid Maine. This is the area my family is from and lumber used to be king up there.

Log rolls down the major rivers heading to parts south, lumber mills everywhere, etc etc.

So many small thriving communities that were wiped out.

Now if we can get the woolen mills back, the whole of Maine outside of Portland will go solid Republican. (!)

Very happy for the folks up there.

• Phil aka Felipe says:

“Now if we can get the woolen mills back, the whole of Maine outside of Portland will go solid Republican. ”

And I’m thinking the same thing about furniture manufacturing and textile manufacturing in the southeast and elsewhere here in the USA. MAGA!

• MfM says:

I’d love to be able to buy wool yarn that was made in the USA. I know there aren’t as many knitters as there used to be, but the quality of the stuff from overseas is all over the map.

• Paul Killinger says:

Maybe even Portland will come along, maybe not…

Or as a great man put it, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

10. Pam says:

Sundance is right. This is a very big deal. These families will have an opportunity to make higher wages in order to provide for their families.

• sunnydaze says:

And it’s even more than that, Pam. These people’s children might actually be able to stay in N.Maine, instead of having to move to Mass. or something just to find work.

The mills closing just wiped whole towns out. Sad to see whole generations leave, especially when they would prefer not to.

• shallbe4 says:

In the 50’s you could by a house on one salary. Today everybody has to work including the family pet and still there isn’t enough money to buy a house.

• Gary says:

My children look at me as though I’m insane when I tell them that their grandfather was bringing home $89.31 a week when he decided to “have a home built”.

In central New Jersey to boot, where today it costs you more than that for a permit to hang sheet rock.

11. patrickhenrycensored says:

Those of us that worked all our lives know that the American dream can’t come true without a job.

• You are so right about that patrickhenrycensored.

The American dream does not come from the American government.

• In my experience, Americans are the only people in the world who enjoy going to “work.” Everybody else considers work something you do until the weekend or your vacation. This is why Europeans have six weeks of vacation, 30 hour work weeks and numerous three-day weekends. We feel validated and valuable when we go to work, plus we like what we do!

Remember the learned papers written by psychologists about people with the mental malady called “workaholic?” It was considered bad. Those European work hours were created by Socialists, who believe that the less you have of something the better it is. Reduce work hours and your wages will increase, they say, ignoring the fact that unemployment in one form or another also will increase. Idiots!

• patrickhenrycensored says:

Am part of that generation that took pride in producing the best product at a competitive price.
        I worked at it…….
        And it worked for me.

12. fleporeblog says:

That was a wonderful story and really makes the point of those 20 men or women that will get the job for the 2nd shift starting in the fall. In that town, our President will be seen as a hero. 20 jobs in the grand scheme of things isn’t going to move the GDP # but that doesn’t matter to the folks that will benefit from the job. It is all about planting seeds. Remember how our Lion would make a point about going to Maine 5 times for that 1 electoral vote. Again, needing 270 it really was minuscule but symbolically it should Americans that he would fight for every single point needed to win. Believe me it may a big difference in many people’s eyes.

• shallbe4 says:

How long has it been since we have had two shifts in any company? Just by sorting out trade deals we end up with higher paid workers. Its so simple when you care about American workers more than you care about sucking up other nations.

13. dobbsfan says:

Whatever “blue” Maine had in the 2016 election…….just turned bright “RED”.

Go Trump….MAGA!!!!!

14. BG2 says:

Jobs for now ex Democrat voters.
    The media aren’t going to like this one little bit.

15. NJF says:

Wonderful news, and fully supports his ideal of a level playing field & fair trade

Much of the issues with NAFTA are due to our neighbors not living up to their end of the bargain, and we “let get them away with it.”

16. sunnydaze says:

Another thing. Just read the comments at the Bangor Daily News and yes, outside of the most rabid Democrats (probably not from Maine, transplants, etc), there are a few obviously Dem voters who can admit that this is indeed a good thing.

ANYBODY who lives up there or has roots there KNOWS this is great news, wether Dem or Repub.

17. Those three beautiful words – JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!

#MoreWinning 😀

18. wheatietoo says:

I am sure that there will be other lumber mills that add new jobs in the coming months.

We may not hear about them doing it…it will just quietly happen.

As Sec Wilber Ross continues to work his wizardry and Pres Trump continues to arm wrestle for every advantage…there will be even more starfish that get saved.

It is so great to have the Trump Team fighting for us…instead of having an administration that is fighting against us, like we have had for so long!

• Gil says:

Hopefully itll be a great Christmas in Maine. I looked at election results and the area went bigly for PDJT. I bet there are winning signs up there somewhere.

• NJ Transplant says:

You are absolutely right Gil. Last Christmas, people were so depressed up here because they could not afford to celebrate Christmas. President Trump won by 10 percentage points in the northern Maine congressional district. I am always on the phone with our congressman who did not support the President. This is hopefully the start of a great trend. There is a town about 50 miles north of Bangor, Millinocket. The paper mill closed a few years ago. People are trying to sell their houses for $25,000. The poverty is overwhelming. It didn’t help that Obama stole some of the nearby land for one of his monuments. This is a great day for the state of Maine and our governor, Paul LePage.

• Fe says:

Amen to your last paragraph wheatie!

• sunnydaze says:

Yes, there will be plenty of more opportunities to strengthen the Lumber Industry up there. And, unlike places like WA. and Ore., there will be NO pushback to speak of from Mainers.

This gives hope to a lot of people, not just those 20.

If stuff like this could be duplicated in these wiped out areas of the US- places that were formerly thriving- whoa Nelly….

Off the top of my head, Upstate NY could use an injection like this, too. Be harder there tho would their stupid out of touch largely Dem government.

NYS can’t seem to do anything right, ever.

• shallbe4 says:

We got so used to hearing that we cannot compete with other nations because our workers demand more money. Obama told us we had no right to be the most powerful country in the world — taking money and jobs from other countries. What a load of cods wallop!!! This is the USA and we can complete with anybody.

19. Carolyn says:

Mark Levin needs to stick to lawyering, I caught his radio show for a while yesterday and he was beside himself over the tariff, accusing the President of stopping home building, hurting people who make furniture, carpet, you name it… for all his great talk, Levin at heart is a Bush-like globalist.

• Sedanka says:

Absolutely.

• BG2 says:

Low taxes behind a reasonable tariff wall made America economically great.
      Keynesian rubbish from FDR prolonged the depression in the US compared to other English speaking democracies.
      An economically successful American nation state insults the globalists.

However, don’t delude yourselves for a moment that the US welfare system can survive as it is or even slightly as it is, it can’t. It will in the life time of your small children consume the US budget. I’m not sure the Don can do anything about it. Too many people.

• Paul Killinger says:

Not to mention a PLAIN FOOL!

20. Gil says:

I have to wonder what mr bangor maine himself Stephen King is thinking about this.

21. uvaldegirl says:

After the Clinton/Bush/Obama years of hopeless globalization, it makes me so emotional to read of this simple prospect of jobs at a lumber business in Maine. Where others would scoff, I could not be happier. It is as if one of my relatives were to get a job there. We are in this together and I am so grateful to have this president and brilliant support such as Wilbur Ross.

• Sylvia Avery says:

I agree, uvaldegirl. I was a little teary reading about those jobs knowing what that would mean to that town. And that was BEFORE I read the starfish story. Thank you, God, for President Trump and our Wilburine!

22. kurt72 says:

I am the Maine/NH sales rep for a construction connector company. These are my customers. These are my people. My son-in-law is a professional forester. You have no idea how happy we are!!! In fact, I am leaving in a couple of hours to go north to a small mill town where the mill is almost closed but the lumberyard still operates. They just placed the largest order for my products in their history and I’m going there to set up a new display. My company manufactures in OH and we have had to hire lots of people. My sales are the highest in the 16 years I’ve been here. The ripple effect from this new Trump economy is immense! I’m riding the wave along with many other American workers. MAGA!!

23. screwauger says:

I reside in Maine and I snowmobile in/through all of these northern mill towns. Jackman in particular can really use these “breaks.” Thank you DJT.

24. Leslie Ingersoll says:

So happy to hear the Great news! I especially loved the starfish story! Thank God for President Donald J Trump, and his awesome administration🇺🇸 It’s high time we stop pandering to the lowest common denominator. I don’t believe in Student debt forgiveness, I remember a time when students in college would work to help pay for their tuition. What we need to think about Is reigning in the Elizabeth Warren’s out there, and the leftism that benefits from the artificially inflated tuition rates. MAGA🇺🇸

25. Jeff says:

The EPA has acted as the GLOBAL COMMUNISTS junk yard dog for decades to save all US NATURAL RESOURCES for their utopian HUNGER GAMES future . A future post America . Post our US constitution and capitalism .

The single focus of all our enemies is to stop president Trump from jump starting our domestic energy harvest , our natural resources ( renewable ) harvest , and creating JOBS instead of the Cloward and Piven creation of dependency .

The LEST understood and talked about Trump plan is for our currency . While Ron Paul talks of auditing the FED or END THE FED . Donald J Trump in his campaign information talked about a competing currency to END THE FIAT BANK MONEY .

90% of people do not understand this concept . I’m betting TREEPERS WILL !!

The president has the authority to instruct his Treasury secretary to begin to print TREASURY DOLLARS . Dollars who’s SENIORAGE or interest on SAVINGS BONDS and loans go to pay to run the government . Not to run the GLOBAL BANKERS !!

So each time I try to ‘splain this concept people usually ask …” What will we back a new dollar with ? ”

The answer is simple . CAPITAL !! all the usurped land the FEDGOV has taken ownership of unconstitutionally . The same land rich in oil , gas and rare earth minerals put in to preservation under the UN AGENDA 21 COMMIE ” GREEN AGENDA ”

THAT CAPITAL will back a new BUCK printed at the TREASURY …STATE MONEY !!

just a snapshot of the area near the Malheur preserve …page 12 is the map and 13 the key .

SILVER COPPER and hmmm URANIUM !! rare earth minerals …worth the commie BLM killing LaVoy Finicum over ?

now multiply that times a GOZILLION http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg

The NEW TREASURY DOLLAR competing with the not so Federal .,..FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES could make one of THESE worth THOUSANDS of FIAT DOLLARS https://scontent.fcae1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18157709_1131056930339397_3004018319011374946_n.jpg?oh=0f31398a7298c1d2dc0de08acc060f30&oe=5992C882

Great way to pay off the debt with 1 TREASURY DOLLAR worth thousands of FIAT not so federal FEDERAL reserve notes eh ?

26. daughnworks247 says:

So proud of the way PDJT is turning our country around.
    Thank you Wilburine!!!!!!!

27. quintrillion says:

Creating a level environment for product not only produces more jobs but also a better market for consumers when competition makes companies strive to produce the best product and consumers have a choice. Win, win, win.

28. Paul Killinger says:

I like this guy more and more as time goes on.

He treats job creation the same way he built buildings in his former life, nut by nut and bolt by bolt.

Not only did we elect our candidate, but we found one for the ages!

29. magatrump says:

Excellent example of why Trump will MAGA.
    God bless President Trump!

30. scotl70 says:

My family has been in the forestry business for over 40 years in Maine. President Trump is exactly right about this.

31. Bendix says:

I just came away from the front door, a young man, an immigrant, trying to interest me in solar panels for the roof.
    It’s a crappy job, going door to door, but it’s what is out there, and young Americans are out there trying.
    I’m glad to see we finally have a president who understands and supports our youth.

32. mrt721 says:

“It’s only 20 jobs” —every democrat everywhere

33. NJ Transplant says:

I am so happy to see this. So many people in Maine lost their jobs in the paper mills due to closings. People are losing their houses. Thank you President Trump.

34. BobBoxBody says:

Sundance, I want to apologize, I won’t make an off-topic remark like that again in the future. I was just trying to make a point about how Trump’s policies helping the “forgotten guy” out would cut through all the Uniparty and LSM BS, but that went horribly wrong.

35. Southern Son says:

When I read the headline about Soft Wood, I automatically thought of the Dims…

36. Sunshine says:

Great starfish story.

37. SafeSpace says:

It’ll be interesting to watch the retail price of sawn pine boards over the next few months. If they increase, those who support free trade are correct. If they remain flat, those who support protectionist and anti-dumping tariffs are correct.