The Chapel Door is Open – Part 4

Click HERE to see Part 3 of “The Chapel Door is Open”.
Click HERE to see Part 2 of “The Chapel Door is Open”.
Click HERE to see Part 1 of “The Chapel Door is Open”.

One of the things we’ve talked about on the open threads is provided for in the Chapel in the Woods which Sundance has constructed at the lower right.  Comments and conversations about what the Bible has to say about world events have always been welcome here in the woods, and the Chapel is where we can extend those conversations.  It will be open 24/7, just like the Prayer Request thread, functioning as a “perpetual open thread.”

The Chapel is the place to drop in when we notice that our questions or statements, reasonings or fears are best expressed with a Judeo-Christian historical and spiritual context. Anyone who doesn’t care to talk about or pray to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is  just as welcome in the Chapel as they are in the Treehouse.

The tone and content of Chapel conversations is expected to be the same as elsewhere in the Treehouse: honest and thoughtful.  The Chapel has been built to provide a place for folks to discuss what the Bible says about any number of things~~past, present or future.

Argumentiveness and unkindness will be quickly deleted.  Anyone who comes through the Chapel door to argue against the Bible as our primary source of information about God and what He thinks about things will be ushered out by the ushers.  Anyone who comes to the Chapel for the purpose of Christian-bashing will be thrown out on their ear.

This nation has been a gift of God for well over 200 years, displaying among the nations what a fine thing it is when people are allowed to enjoy those things given by their Creator; among them life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  The United States of America is our nation-house, and there are people trying to burn it down.

This nation is a blessing given to all of us, and there is no supposed “spiritual reason” for people who believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to sit back and fold their hands and somehow assume that it would be wrong for them to stand up and fight.  We will fight and we will stand~~and we consider ourselves free to talk about, refer to, think about and pray to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob while we do it.

So come on in.  The Chapel’s open.

Our thread was getting pretty slow to load, so this should get us back up to speed!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

328 Responses to The Chapel Door is Open – Part 4

1. SLIMJIM says:

Found this just recently. Just for others to know we’re a conservative Christian blog concerned with theology, apologetics and worldview.

• Spar Harmon says:

My blog is a more modest and personal version of what you are doing. Have you tried BARCLAY’S APOLOGY in modern English by Dean Freiday ???
      How about A.W. Tozer’s THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE HOLY??

2. notasmidgeon says:

I can’t be alone! My insides feel empty, hollow. How do you start praying for so much? Our needs are endless. So many murdered police officers, so many family members left behind, little ones who will never remember. Big ones who will never understand. My perceived thoughts of the evilness of this administration and all the key players. Then there’s all the evil killing in other countries by the terrorist. I want to pray but it’s kinda like where the heck do you start. So many people and situations. We want these people to know Christ and be drawn to him for comfort and healing BUT they must first know him. Then the people out there trying hard to make a difference and actually taking a chance on their safety, by speaking out truthful words, the government doesn’t want to hear. They need to have God’s arms of love wrapped around them tightly. I’m not really sure what I’m trying to get out of here but I need help with my praying. Any suggestions or thoughts. Maybe I need to organize. I’m tired…mentally and physically from all the evil going on around us. I know you must be also.

• Spar Harmon says:

I feel drawn to give answering witness to you from my own experience wrestling with the same self-doubts, lostness and crippling paralysis you describe.

First, many of my troubles came from a misunderstanding of what prayer is and what it is not.
      Jesus started his teachings saying ” How blest are those who know their need of God; the kingdom of Heaven is theirs “.[Matthew 5 : 3]NEB
      Here it is made clear:: the gateway to everything, to stepping into the loving arms of my loving Father, to peace and shelter in the midst of worldly chaos begins for each person with a profoundly humbling realization of limitation, inadequacy, confusion, brokenness; I see that I need help from beyond my resources and make my first effective prayer :: help me, help me, help me, Oh Holy One, for I cannot help myself…

That is where it started for me. That was when I had my first irrefutable contact with the love-shine of the Great Shepherd.
      In Matthew 6: 5-15, Jesus gives very specific instructions about prayer. including The Lord’s Prayer.

Whatever your first experience of irrefutable God contact was, it never goes away. God never goes away; for God there is no away. Also for you it happened then, but for God it happens Now, ever Now. God never leaves us; we leave God.
      In those early days of learning to walk in the world with God in my awareness, I stumbled and fell out of that awareness painfully often, swamped in chaos and inadequacy. I had a spiritual advisor then who helped me recover:: we are broken people, Spar – we struggle to get it right, but we are broken and we cannot fix our own selves – only God can do that, but we have to ask for it – God won’t violate our free will; it is part of how He made us – we have to express truly our willingness to accept God’s touch, His healing, His working, His Grace, Forgiveness, and Love – humble surrender and relaxing into peace allows the Holy One to teach us who we truly are —– n – stuff.

So, I have felt many times as you describe, notasmidgeon, and I say this :: we, none of us, are equipped to properly judge what others need at such far distance; it is difficult enough when in our immediate purview. I have learned that I am provided with clarity needed to step into another’s life, from time to time, and it is a wonderful thing to be tapped to help someone; but it is also clear to me that it is God’s doing, not mine.

I can vex myself about all the terrible things loose in whirlwind of our time, but to take it personally is an arrogant, egotistical, judgmental delusion and an insult to the only Real Power there is — The Creator of All That Is.
      I suffer in a kind of madness as long as I steep in such delusion. It helps me to think of it this way – the mundane world we all live in, on this insignificant planet, is our reality. We are limited creatures, bound to this Earth for our limited lives. Our reality is very tiny compared to the Reality of God’s Creation. Jesus suggested – Seek ye First the Kingdom of God and His Justice. Then all else will be added unto you. [seek and you will find/knock and the door will open/ ask and you will receive]
      The Kingdom of God is capital ‘R’ Reality We are admonished to learn to live in the world, but not of it.
      I find the 23rd Psalm wonderful as a prayer of affirmation of that Reality in my daily practice of life. Taking the attitude of being a child of my Holy Father’s making, free in the Kingdom of His provision, and kept in shelter if His Love, brings me to an active, vigorous peace, able to love others and live fearlessly —— at least sometimes, sigh…..

The Lord’s Prayer asserts what is so about Our Father. And affirms our desire that His Will be done in our earthly home. Gives thanks that we are provided for. Asks help for the infirmity of our loving and help to always seek God in answer to all evil……..

Prayer is a practice using the channel provided us by God to have a personal relationship with Jesus, who declared Himself our friend. Sometimes, most treasured of all, I just lay it all out, woes, joys, pains, pleasures, poetry songs, music, my sculptures, sketches, chains of philosophical, theological, fantasias and fugues, and [blush] dancing and singing; but all to my friend, Jesus, who knows it all already, loves all of it, and reflects back to me things I had never ever thought of on my own, oopsa lets bake a loaf of bread or griddle up some hashbrowns bacon n sausage patties n sunnyside up aigs…………… Jesus loves us and lets us feel it if we allow it

Don’t worry about what others need until you have accepted from Him what you need, then you might get that special privilege of helping others true and clear. He’ll let you know when you are ready. He sure has let me know.

• Pam says:

Dear Notasmidgeon, I may not be reading your words with proper understanding, but when you say YOU feel empty and hollow inside, that leaves the impression (at least for me) that you have not found what you are asking for other people. But much of what you say next sounds like you do know Christ and the love of God, so it could be that you do have faith and it is being tested by all the horrors and evils going on all around us. One of the things I learned after I first surrendered my will and life to God was that an active prayer life was extremely important. I discovered how important it was by not attending to it, then suffering the consequences until I figured it out.

There are endless books and theories about prayer, how to do it, what to pray, on and on. I found God, then I wanted the same for everyone else. I had to learn that God had a long and extensive amount of work to do on me first, because I was still a mess, even though I finally knew and believed. I would never discourage our praying for other people, if all we can do is ask God to have mercy on all of us and help them and our own selves. God knows exactly what each person needs…we do not know. We have to remember that He is always working in the lives of those who are lost, but that He respects their free will, so we have to understand that part also. Everyone is free to reject Him.

After years, I finally understood that I must pray every day. The ways of prayer may change, but if I ignore that interior activity, my faith and trust will very quickly become weak. The forces of darkness do not like to see Christians praying. Even if we think we are doing it all wrong and feel no connection when we pray, it doesn’t matter. We still need to pray. If all we can do is ask for God’s mercy, His forgiveness for our daily sinning, even though our sins may be small ones, His blessing and His graces to flow to us for our needs, then that is still a good prayer.

Today, when I pray for others, whether it be individuals, religious leaders, countries or groups…whatever…I just say it as best I can, from my heart. I acknowledge that God knows the situation and I may only see a small bit or I may be wrong. I ask Him to have mercy, to save the ones who are lost. I ask that, no matter what the world looks like to me, His will be done in all things. The inarticulate cries of our heart are a prayer to God, if we believe in Him. The Holy Spirit can teach us how to pray, and He can fill in our prayers when we don’t know the right words.

• suffering produces intimacy with God >>Job42:5 It equips us to comfort others 2Corintians 1:2-5 It refines us Isaiah 48:10 It produces growth and maturity>> James 12:4 suffering conforms us in God’s image Rom8:28&29>>>My grace is sufficient for you , my power is made perfect in weakness 2 Corinthians 12 :9 . The suffering we go through here on earth cant compare with the JOY that awaits us with him in heaven >>>These ar they who have come out of great tribulation and have wash their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb Rev.7:14

• notasmidgeon… You took the words right out of my thoughts and stated it very well. What is going on in the USA today and indeed the world is completely sickening!

• Gayle Thompson says:

Hello from RI!
      I’ll tell you what to do to SOLVE this problem of despair!! Find your favorite worship music and worship! i’ ll send u one link to one song to get you started! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=joPjqEGJGqU

• Gayle Thompson says:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=joPjqEGJGqU I left you that link to start you on a course of Solution.🤗 Worship! Here’s a song to start that journey to joy, peace and love in Him!
      Much love from Rhode Island!

• GForce says:

Dear Lord please lift this burden from notasmidgeon in this time of confusion, pain and overwhelm. Let him/ her know in your gentle, loving way that you are listening and all things will be taken care of by you in due time.

• auscitizenmom says:

Amen

• singingsoul says:

Caring
          There is a song of old

Music of the heart I am told.

Friendship, laughter love and all

Caring and sharing a human call.

To be bitter causes jitters

For sure, it closes the heart’s door.

Forgive yourself and others

To open the door that matters.

Be still and listen.
          Hear the universal song.

Love thyself and others.

To love like God,

Is the essence of the heart.

Friendship, laughter love and all

Caring is a human call.

by Singinsoul

• M. Mueller says:

Notasmidgeon, you don’t have to tell God everything that is wrong with the world and needs fixing. God knows. Pray for the Holy Spirit to breathe upon the world and to crush the head of evil. Remember, God is there, and God is in charge – not you. All you have to do is love God and do your best to stand against evil. Leave the rest in the hands of God.

Bless you.

• M. Mueller says:

Also, look at the cross. The secret of the cross is that God can use anything, no matter how vile, for good. After all, He used that cross for our salvation.

• notasmidgeon says:

It is so comforting and uplifting to come here and re-read all that has been written above. I would imagine that I’m not the only one who enjoys these comments. The comments are reminders of what we know in our heart and soul but, there are times that it becomes overwhelming in our minds…..give it to God, trust Him. Many thanks to the people who made comments of care.

• you don’t have to know what to say, what to pray for. Just go to a quiet place, get down on your knees, and open yourself up. It will come naturally. You’ll feel the presence of God if you ask for Him to come near. Then the conversation will start naturally. And the more you do it, the more easily it will come to you. Secondly, I know it goes against our carnal nature, but you have to trust that God knows what He’s doing. He already knows what the outcome will be…and it will be alright. Even if it seems that the world is on fire right now. We were told that this would happen…but we were also told the final outcome. So pray for our people, more importantly to me I never forget to pray for Israel. As shocking as it was to me, what our “president” did to them, I knew to expect it. It was foretold a long time ago. I think that the prayers of the righteous are the only thing holding off the judgement of our God upon our country for now. So pray, and pray often. And yes, we need to pray even for those whom we feel we don’t want to pray for. We can’t forget them, even if we don’t believe that they deserve prayer, we were commanded to pray for our enemies.

3. Eliza says:

Thank you for the opportunity to share our love for God our Father, His Son Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, and God’s glorious Word the Bible. I have a blog devoted to sharing God’s Word with others. Praise God for His goodness to us. Amen!

Here is my latest post regarding biblical reasons we should vote Trump and reject Hilary.

4. Holly says:

I received this inspirational verse this morning: “Matthew 10:26 (NKJV) 26 Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.” Hopefully, Wikileaks will continue to uncover the DNC’s secrets.

• That wasn’t wikileaks doing..it was God’s. Think about the verse that you just quoted. Wikileaks was just the means for the truth to be revealed. How true has that statement been in your life? Anytime i’ve told lies, they’ve come to light. They always do. And so it is true for this nation. Unfortunately, politicians and the media, especially, have a really hard time learning that..

5. SSI01 says:

What bothers me and gives me foreboding is Jefferson’s musings about how God is just and merciful, but his patience can not last forever against those who do evil, and how he (Jefferson) trembled for his country when he remembered God was just, and his justice was perfect. We as a nation have been shedding truly innocent blood for years, tens of millions of lives through the abomination of abortion right here at home. We engage in legal hair-splitting about what constitutes a human being, where humanity begins, when we all in the depths of our hearts know when that is. Nine old men and women in black nightgowns decide for us about when life begins, when the Bible makes it transparently obvious when that occurs. We are forced to allow our taxes to be used in the furtherance of this abomination. There is so much dishonesty and deceit in our elected officials who are sworn to uphold the principles of our Constitution and who consistently violate them on a daily basis. It erodes what little faith there is left in the system we have by common consent established to govern ourselves. There isn’t any trust whatsoever in the government any more.

6. BakoCarl says:

I’ve been tinkering with poetry, sometimes using songs as a source for rhyme and meter and sometimes not. My aim is to keep my mind and fingers a little less idle and to provide some humor and other thoughts for others to enjoy or consider.

For my own reading in verse, I’ve recently read a fair amount from several large collections of the greatest / most popular / most loved American and English poetry. For my tastes, I was disappointed – much of the subject matter was of no interest to me, and struggling through obscure references and tortured construction didn’t help matters, either. Of particular note was the current trend in poetry – that of unstructured verse with insignificant subject matter and almost nonexistent beauty of expression.

However, after a bit of searching around on the internet, I stumbled into a few poems by Helen Steiner Rice . . . and I think I’ve just found everything I’ve been looking for: totally understandable and solidly Biblically founded verse, with rhyme and meter, that speaks directly and simply to a wealth of uplifting Biblical principles . . . and that is the reason I’m making this note in Our Chapel in the Woods.

If you’ve been looking for some straightforward inspirational or uplifting verse, I’d highly recommend you take a peek at Helen Steiner Rice’s poetry and books. I ordered a number of her books (used) quite cheaply from AbeBooks and Amazon’s Used Books . . . whichever had good or very good condition books at the best price.

Just wanted to pass this info on.

7. John Denney says:

Eve chose to believe the serpent, rather than God. She had no doubt that God existed, but the serpent cast aspersions upon Him, convincing Eve that God was keeping something valuable back from her, and that it wasn’t fair.
    As if He hadn’t given her enough. Why would she think she merited more? Because God had more than she did? Ha! The original accusation of income inequality!

• buzzybee says:

I’ve been thinking of Eve off and on lately, meditating on aspects of Genesis. It occurred to me that part of Eve’s sin was in the issue of trust. She trusted the word of the serpent more than she trusted the word of God, Who had already given it to her. Adam also sinned in the area of trust. He trusted the word of his wife who passed on the message of the serpent instead of trusting God’s original instruction. Anyway, my point is that while their sin was an issue of disobedience, it also was an issue of trust. How many times have the American people trusted in their government (bureaucracies) to provide instead of trusting in our Creator to provide? I’ve been praying for God to have mercy on us as a nation and help us to turn back to Him.

8. BakoCarl says:

Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.
    The LORD of hosts has sworn: “As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand.
    The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.

9. BakoCarl says:

Welcome to our chapel,
    Please come in and come near.
    And leave us a kind word,
    So that others find cheer.

10. BakoCarl says:

Make a joyful noise unto The Lord, all ye lands.
    Serve the Lord with gladness: come before His presence with singing.
    Know ye that The Lord He is God: it is He that has made us, and not we ourselves;
    we are His people, and the sheep of His pasture.
    Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise:
    be thankful unto Him, and bless His name.
    For The Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting; and His truth endures to all generations.
    (Psalm 100)

11. BakoCarl says:

We praise you, our Heavenly Father;
    We thank you for calling us to be your people,
    And for choosing us to give you glory.
    Cleanse our hearts and our lives
    With your holy word,
    And make our prayer pleasing to you.
    Guide us by your Spirit,
    As we follow in the path of Jesus our Savior.
    All glory and praise are yours, Father,
    For ever and ever.

Amen!

12. BakoCarl says:

God Knows Best – by Helen Steiner Rice

Our Father knows what’s best for us,
    So why should we complain
    We always want the sunshine,
    But He knows there must be rain

We love the sound of laughter
    And the merriment of cheer,
    But our hearts would lose their tenderness
    If we never shed a tear…

Our Father tests us often
    With suffering and with sorrow,
    He tests us, not to punish us,
    But to help us meet tomorrow…

For growing trees are strengthened
    When they withstand the storm,
    And the sharp cut of a chisel
    Gives the marble grace and form…

God never hurts us needlessly,
    And He never wastes our pain
    For every loss He send to us
    Is followed by rich gain…

And when we count the blessings
    That God has so freely sent,
    We will find no cause for murmuring
    And no time to lament…

For our Father loves His children,
    And to Him all things are plain,
    So He never sends us pleasure
    When the soul’s deep need is pain…

So whenever we are troubled,
    And when everything goes wrong,
    It is just God working in us
    To make our spirit strong.

13. BakoCarl says:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

14. floridawoman4trump says:

Matthew 6:9–13 (ESV) “Pray then like this: ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” Amen

15. I just finished watching Dr. David Jeremiah live stream from Shadow Mountain Community Church. His post-election sermon was a gift from God. Everyone should watch this, he was under tremendous pressure from all sides.

He received a lot of criticism tor what was supposedly a private meeting of pastors and Trump and someone recorded on a cell phone his prayer at this meeting.

The re-run from the Archive probably won’t be available until Thursday or Friday of this week, I hope it is sooner. I’m going to record it for myself, Here’s the link to the Archive, check it periodically this week. You won’t be sorry. God Bless Pastor Jeremiah and God Bless Donald Trump

In case anyone forgets, I’ll repost the real link when it becomes available.

16. BakoCarl says:

We know that God has established Donald Trump as leader.

It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men, and knowledge to men of understanding.

. . . the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind, And bestows it on whom He wishes And sets over it the lowliest of men.

But, remember, He also established Barrack Obama.

So, do we know how God is going to use Donald Trump? I don’t think we do.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,
    declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Do we know God’s plans for Donald Trump will succeed? Ummm, yup.

The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.

So, what should we do with respect to Donald Trump?

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Do we know we will live peaceful and quiet lives under Donald Trump? What about the future?

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

17. As I promised on Sunday, everyone needs to watch Pastor David Jeremiah sermon on Sunday. It just became available on Vimeo, the sermon begins at marker :30. It’s one hour so set aside some time. He was severely criticized when someone with a cell phone recorded a prayer he gave at a private pastors meeting with Trump;

In case the Vimeo link doesn’t work go to

And watch America’s Defining Moment starting at Marker :30

18. Spar Harmon says:

My prayer/poem did not post sigh

• nyetneetot says:

Sorry I haven’t come by to say “hello” in a while. I hope you’re doing well.

• nyetneetot says:

I hope you’re doing well Spar.

• Spar Harmon says:

Thank you for the kindness of your well-wishing, friend. I will try to assure you that I am indeed well, as you hope.

Having sought and found and been granted relationship with my Creator, my Holy Father,
        I have been walking in the state described in Psalm 23. To wit, I want for nothing, I neither hunger nor thirst; I am restored in my soul; I am protected from adversaries; though I live in poverty [objectively, as the world might judge] many are attracted to the richness of what they actually perceive and find encouragement to escape from the box of their own thinking and judgments; what a joy, that; and I finally and fully declare with the psalmist :
        Surely goodness and mercy will follow me
        All the days of my life,
        And I will live in the house of the Lord
        For Ever

I bear witness in my life that if you know your need for God
        And if you can muster the humility to open yourself and invite Him, however you conceive of Him, into your life
        He will enter in
        And you will know His love for you.

All is well
        And all manner of things are well

19. Lucille says:

Psalm 23 – Life In The Valley

Here is the reading and lyrics to this track:

Choose Life, Choose Life, Choose Life, Choose Life
    The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23:1 NCV)

You Lord are my shepherd (repeated)

I will never be in need
    You let me rest in fields of green grass
    You lead me to streams of peaceful water
    And you refresh my life
    You are true to Your name
    And you lead me along the right paths (Psalm 23:1-3 CEV)
    Even though I walk through the darkest valley
    I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
    Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
    You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
    You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows. (Psalm 23:4-5 NIV)

Your kindness and love will always be with me
    Each day of my life (Psalm 23:6 CEV)
    And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23:6 NIV)

Come, Choose life (repeated)

You are my shepherd
    I follow You
    For you restore me, and lead me home
    You are my shelter (my shelter)
    I rest in You (rest in You)
    For you protect me, and hold me safe
    You’re my companion (companion)
    I walk with You (walk with you)
    Into eternity I live in grace
    Into eternity I live in grace
    Into eternity I live in grace
    Into eternity I live in grace

20. BakoCarl says:

For a while, I thought it would be a good idea to try to encourage postings to the “Our Chapel in the Woods” thread. After thinking about it, I think it is best to keep Christian postings on the “Open Thread” as is happening now. Otherwise, the Christian postings could be sidetracked, and not generally seen, read and appreciated as they are now on the open thread.

Your thoughts? (At this time BigMamaTEA came up with the best thought – post here and on the general thread.)

Anyway, at that time, I wrote a little verse to encourage visits to the Chapel, which really should happen, I think, here, on the “Open Thread.”

Sooo . . .

Come Visit our Chapel (Open Thread)

After you perch in our Conservative Tree,
    Don’t be like the little bird that flew
    Straight on its way, passing our Chapel,
    Like a little lost friend, lonely and blue.

Visit our Chapel right here in the Woods,
    And help our congregation grow, too.
    Bring yourself, all your thoughts and prayers
    And, now and then, leave a small note or two.

We’ll kindle fire in the stove, coffee to warm;
    Wear your old slippers or comfortable shoes.
    We’ll chat about God and learn from His Word,
    While you rest on your own well padded pew.

Share a favorite verse or profound thought,
    Or a poem, just written, you’d like to debut.
    Perhaps your day, once dull, is now happy,
    A devotional stirred up the joy you once knew.

Bring your worries and cares for your prayers,
    They’ll soon be gone like smoke up the flue.
    Whatever it is that can build up another,
    Share it with your sisters and brothers, too.

And let’s fight life’s hard battles on holy ground
    With the full armor of God protecting you.
    Knowing that battles are part of God’s plan,
    We’ll learn some insights to see our lives anew.

For those worst times (we’ve all had a few)
    We’ll work together to help each other through.
    And we’ll encourage each other all the day,
    For the Word of our Lord is right and true.

21. BakoCarl says:

Little Rustic Chapel

The little rustic chapel, away in the woods
    Thought quietly, pensively during the day
    “It’s been quite some time, I’ve not seen many people
    Come inside with their friends to worship or pray.”

I know I’m not near, tucked away by my stream,
    And people are busied by life’s bustle and fray,
    But I’d think with the path that life’s on right now,
    That quite a few people would find comfort and stay.

The One I serve is needed more now than ever.
    Truth and right decay while the people dismay.
    And as time goes on, going from bad to worse,
    Instead of changing paths, more people go astray.

My Master is patient, but won’t wait forever;
    The wicked of this world will soon earn their pay.
    But there are others who need to make a choice;
    Life or death, blessings or curses: choose life today.

I’ve got a little fire in my potbelly stove,
    So take off your coat, you’ll be warm today.
    And if you’re set upon by the worries of life,
    Please come right in, your worries will allay.

There’s little I can do, sitting here on my pad
    To get people’s attention. They won’t hear me say
    That they need the One I was built to serve,
    The only One that men must trust and obey.

I must have hope that those who know I’m here
    Will come themselves and bring others my way.
    My door’s not locked, and my pews are all ready,
    So come in now, take a seat, worship and pray.

22. mariposa232 says:

I just stumbled in, not realizing… What a little gem.. How God works in mysterious ways! Thank you Lord for showing me this place!

23. A friend shared this with me. It’s so suitable to our nation’s needs right now:

Thank you Lord for the privilege of this life and the privilege of this day, the privilege of growing in the grace and knowledge of God, the privilege of praying for all other people, for whom we are thankful, please work your good and perfect will in our lives this day.

We thank you and praise you for our country. Thank you that we live with relative peace and security, and that we still have the freedom to speak out against injustice when we see it. Thank you for all of the good gifts that you’ve given us, for all that we have around us, especially those things we take for granted.

Father we pray that you would give us a government with laws that promote justice, honesty and truth, bringing opportunity to those in need and having compassion on those who are broken.

Father we pray that you would give us politicians who have clarity, integrity, and passion for what is right. Give them great intelligence to solve problems, but please give them great strength of character, to stay away from anything corrupt, or sinful, as well.

Please thwart the evil plans of men, and expose the evil deeds of men so that they will not escape justice, and rescue from destruction the innocent, the helpless, the unwary, and the unsaved, especially those children who have been forcibly separated from their parents, please work your good and perfect will in their lives this day. Bless and protect all who travel, conduct business or attend classes today, that they may do so free of threats, danger, and destruction, please work your good and perfect will in their lives this day.

We pray that you would bring great healing to our nation where it needs it, bring about a generation who will stand against the tide of cynicism, to act justly, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with you.

Bless all who love us and all whom we love. Bless and protect Donald Trump and his family, Mike Pence and his family, all incoming Cabinet Members and Aides to the President and their families, all lawmakers who uphold Biblical principles and their families, and work your good and perfect will in their lives this day, so that they will lead spiritually fruitful, spiritually productive lives, and as happy, healthy, and long as you have appointed with your good and perfect will, free from malevolent interferences.

In Jesus’ name, for His sake, and for His glory, we pray.

Amen.

24. M. Mueller says:

Didn’t know whether to post my story or not, so I prayed to the Holy Spirit for a sign. The Psalm right above seemed to be that sign for me. Thank you, Lucille.

I think I’m finally ready to try to describe what I experienced on election day. For the past 18 months, I’d lived and breathed this election; when I closed my eyes, I could see evil thrashing about the world trying to destroy as many souls as possible. I knew how important this election was. A couple days before it, I jokingly remarked that maybe I should ask my doctor for a tranquilizer to get through that day. The person I was talking to knew how uptight and nervous I was and thought that was a good idea, but I never pursued it.

On November 8th, I woke at 4 AM. My first thought was, “today is election day.” My next was, “please, God, help our country and the whole world through this election.” My whole being – every cell in my body – was suddenly flooded with pure warm love and pure joy, so much that it seemed to bubble up out of me. Joy, not happiness. Happiness has to have something to be happy about; joy is so much more. Unconditional pure love and joy, it only lasted a couple of seconds and had nothing to do with who would win the election. My one thought was, “it doesn’t matter what happens because it will be God’s will. We are not in charge; God is. The only thing that matters is that God truly, really exists.”

I spent that day in total peace, reading and napping. Later, I tuned in to see the results but wasn’t holding my breath afraid of the results.

I’ve told my immediate family of this experience. Some of them just looked at me with blank stares, not understanding what I was trying to explain. That makes sense, though, because no matter how hard I try to describe that love and joy I fall so far short. How do you describe a gift from God?

I am not holy or good, just a nothing little sinner. If heaven is anything like that undeserved touch of love and joy, then I can’t get there soon enough and will never willfully do anything to set myself away from God. The Face of God must be so much more awesome than our little minds can ever conceive.

• Lucille says:

It’s the joy and the peace which passes all understanding, M. Mueller.

Reminds me of the hymn, “It Is Well with My Soul” Lyrics by Horatio Gates Spafford (1873)

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
      When sorrows like sea billows roll
      Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
      It is well, it is well, with my soul
      It is well
      With my soul
      It is well, it is well with my soul

• jeans2nd says:

Re-read your words today, and this stood out – ” Some of them just looked at me with blank stares, not understanding what I was trying to explain”

Have spent a lifetime trying to make myself understood, with no success. A question – Have you any memory at all of not knowing and trusting God? I haven’t. The only question ever has been, Why has God been so good to ME? The only answer I’ve found is Because Jesus. And so, I Believe.

And for the record, i am a Big Sinner.

Find Joy in all things. Count it all Joy. James 1:2

• M. Mueller says:

Jean, I was raised in the Catholic Church. In high school, someone said that Jesus was a nice man, but God? Why would anyone believe an old book? That kind of took hold in my pea-sized mind. Later, I took my children to church a couple of times a year figuring that God would rejoice that I’d decided to show up. The fact that I didn’t spontaneously combust is only due to the infinite mercy of God.

Then God started coming after me. At odd times Rev. 3:16 “because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit thee out of my mouth” would pop into my mind. Each time it did, I’d think, “what is lukewarm?” My mind would flash back, “you are.” I didn’t want to deal with it so I’d push it away, but a couple of weeks later the whole thing would play over. I had no idea where it all came from; wasn’t like I ever thought of the Bible. It just irritated me.

Then, I’d be driving or something and Luke 16:19-31 (Lazarus in the bosom of Abraham) would go through my mind. I’d wonder why the rich man was in hell; it didn’t say he’d killed anyone or anything – he just didn’t help. And, why was Jesus talking about hell if there was no hell or devil? I’d push that away until it popped back up a couple of weeks later too.

Finally, I started searching for answers. I remember being in the middle of a detailed Bible commentary and stopping and saying out loud, “wait a minute, these people actually believe everything in the Bible is true.” That started me on a journey of years and years of using every spare moment to read everything I could find about God and Christianity, and I started really praying. I don’t have to tell you that the more you pray, the closer God comes to you.

I guess the nice thing about coming by way of a journey like that is that I know exactly what I believe and why I believe and can explain it to those who do not believe (or could, if they would listen.) Now, God fills my heart and soul and mind constantly.

Probably way more than your question was asking, but yes, I can remember a time….

25. Lucille says:

God-Planned Days

“[God]) has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.”
    – 2 Timothy 1:9

In ancient times, an ingenious man created a device allowing him to see through walls. It sounds like science fiction, but this man invented a way to stand in the middle of his room and see through the wall to the outside world. He called his invention—a window.

From earliest times, men and women have been inventing devices to make life easier—windows and doors, buggies and cars, air conditioners, computers, and untold millions of items. History’s patent office has never experienced a slowdown.

Humans are creative because we’re made in the image of the Creator; and if we know how to design objects for a purpose, don’t you suppose the Creator has designed each of us for a purpose? Your specifications were ordained in heaven. Your arrival on earth was preplanned, and God knows the exact number of your days. He has a plan for your life, and He leads you step by step. We aren’t random mutations of primordial sludge, but servants of a God who has established our purpose with grace before time began.

Today’s no random day. It’s a God-planned day for His devoted children.

Dr. David Jeremiah

26. Lucille says:

For the full article on the Seven Deadly Sins see: “What are the seven deadly sins?”

27. Lucille says:

MEDITATION BY DR. DAVID JEREMIAH

Kindness Incarnate

But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared.
    Titus 3:4

The Greek word for kindness in Titus 3:4, chrestotes, has its origin in the smaller word, chre—“to lend.” It’s not hard to see how the idea of kindness evolved from the act of lending. When someone is in need we step forward and lend what aid we can. We might lend a neighbor our car or give them our daughter’s outgrown baby clothes for their new arrival. Both, whether temporary or permanent, are acts of kindness.

Need, giving, and kindness are linked together intimately by two verses: John 3:16 and Titus 3:4. The first verse we know well: God saw our need and gave us His Son as the remedy. But in the second verse, God’s Son is actually referred to as “the kindness . . . of God.” Jesus appearing on earth was not only evidence of kindness, He was kindness itself; He was kindness incarnate. Instead of judging the earth, God sent kindness Himself to earth to save us. In a day when it appears there is little kindness on earth, it is good to remember that God’s love was demonstrated by kindness. Not the kindness of His Son, but the kindness which is His Son.

Think of ways you can be kindness to someone in need today. You can appear in their life as kindness incarnate.

“Kindness is a grace that all can understand.” – J. C. Ryle

28. Sharon says:

Love Vestal Goodman – she always belts it out, from the heart, from experience, and from her recognition of how her (our) needs are met in our blessed Rock of all the ages……

• Sharon says:

Well, that’s obviously not Vestal Goodman!! Don’t know what happened to my cut ‘n paste – if you want to try for it it’s Just Vestal Goodman/Gaither Homecoming/Rock of Ages…….I’ll try and find it later and repost……All things Gaither keep me going!….

29. Sharon says:

Try it again:

30. I made this comment on another website (https://paworldandtimes.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/total-eclipse/), and thought people reading this site may find it interesting:

“The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord come.” – Joel 2:31

In Western Washington, the moon has been blood red for a week. Tonight, August 7, it is full.
    ***
    “Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven.” Matthew 24:29.

The Perseid meteor shower is underway, and will peak approximately August 9-12, i.e. “the stars shall fall from heaven.”

This is fascinating: the August new moon (i.e. when “the moon shall not give her light”) is– wait for it– August 21… the day of the total eclipse.

The Lord truly works in mysterious ways.