The Chapel Door is Open – Part 4

Click HERE to see Part 3 of “The Chapel Door is Open”.
Click HERE to see Part 2 of “The Chapel Door is Open”.
Click HERE to see Part 1 of “The Chapel Door is Open”.

One of the things we’ve talked about on the open threads is provided for in the Chapel in the Woods which Sundance has constructed at the lower right.  Comments and conversations about what the Bible has to say about world events have always been welcome here in the woods, and the Chapel is where we can extend those conversations.  It will be open 24/7, just like the Prayer Request thread, functioning as a “perpetual open thread.”

The Chapel is the place to drop in when we notice that our questions or statements, reasonings or fears are best expressed with a Judeo-Christian historical and spiritual context. Anyone who doesn’t care to talk about or pray to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is  just as welcome in the Chapel as they are in the Treehouse.

The tone and content of Chapel conversations is expected to be the same as elsewhere in the Treehouse: honest and thoughtful.  The Chapel has been built to provide a place for folks to discuss what the Bible says about any number of things~~past, present or future.

Argumentiveness and unkindness will be quickly deleted.  Anyone who comes through the Chapel door to argue against the Bible as our primary source of information about God and what He thinks about things will be ushered out by the ushers.  Anyone who comes to the Chapel for the purpose of Christian-bashing will be thrown out on their ear.

This nation has been a gift of God for well over 200 years, displaying among the nations what a fine thing it is when people are allowed to enjoy those things given by their Creator; among them life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  The United States of America is our nation-house, and there are people trying to burn it down.

This nation is a blessing given to all of us, and there is no supposed “spiritual reason” for people who believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to sit back and fold their hands and somehow assume that it would be wrong for them to stand up and fight.  We will fight and we will stand~~and we consider ourselves free to talk about, refer to, think about and pray to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob while we do it.

So come on in.  The Chapel’s open.

Our thread was getting pretty slow to load, so this should get us back up to speed!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

432 Responses to The Chapel Door is Open – Part 4

• Ray Brensike says:

This is why I want to hear interpretation of tongues by one who spoke in tongues, and to hear this again by another, and maybe even up to 3, every time I go to church, bringing a message from heaven of edification by way of exhortation and comfort by the words the Holy Spirit teaches, If they have it, they can say it. If you have a half sentence, you can say that and God will provide the rest, and when it’s done and it’s a short masterpiece, then we all know it was God.

1. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Well now. I just discovered this thread. I will be back. – Michael

Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

• Sharon says:

“…the fellowship of the mystery…..” yes. There’s a lot referenced in that phrase, isn’t there? We have an amazing privilege in the fact that we are in Christ – and there is certainly much mystery in God’s working in these things.

• kiskiminetas says:

The best part is He has revealed that mystery to us. Those who come into a relationship with Christ are urged to explore said mystery. Christ is the light of the world (John 8:12) and we too are to be light bearers for Him. The supreme goal of the Christian is to be conformed more and more into the image of Christ. Praise be to God!

2. Deplorable_Infidel says:

There is another thread we could go to discuss theology, if you want. We are suppose to stay on topic I will post this over there:

The reason for all the confusion in the professing church and myriads of denominations is not observing and obeying this verse and mixing things up. There are books in the bible for the nation of Israel and books for the Gentiles today (Romans thru Philemon) :

2Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

• Sharon says:

Oh, I hope we don’t see a major doctrinal dispute now about Replacement Theology.

The Chapel thread is indeed intended to be the place for spiritual/theological discussion. That principle, in practice, has long since gone by the wayside….

The intention from the outset was that those who do not have personal, practicing faith, or are agnostics or atheists, should not feel like they have wandered into a church. We wanted them to feel welcome as fellow citizens and concerned thinkers. So we created a particular place (the Chapel) for anyone to share regarding spiritual matters, Scripture, etc.

Oh, well. We tried.

However, the Chapel is not a place for doctrinal disputes either. Including Replacement Theology.

*sigh*

• tessa50 says:

I love the Chapel and have missed discussing things here. As usual, I have questions that I would love to talk with you about. I just can’t figure out how to ask them without it starting an argument here with those who might believe differently. I sure don’t mind differences of opinion, as I can decide for myself, but strongly dislike any kind of argument of God’s word. When we talked, you told me what you believed and showed me God’s words to back it up. We didn’t argue and I knew where to go read to decide for myself. I think it might not go that way anymore. I’m not referring to you Sharon. Some threads on the tree dealing with religious beliefs have been pretty bad.

So, I hesitate.

• Sharon says:

I understand, tessa50. I’ve sure noticed that as well. However, you and I surely still have the privilege of having a conversation as we wish! And, as usual, I can only reference Scripture as a sure source for such things.

I am astounded at what can be observed of God’s working over the centuries in varieties of workings, different cultures, contrasting church groups – the Spirit of God is faithful to Himself and to His people. Each of us can only stand where we have understanding to stand. It is neither safe nor necessary for us to “be argued into” something we are not actually comfortable with or do not actually believe.

Trying to “bend someone to my opinion” isn’t necessary – God honors the hungry heart and He does not become unkind or argumentative, or “try to dominate us” when we come with plain questions, like a child.

I am open to your questions and likely others are as well.

And if all else fails, you can always email me at mailboxesandoldbarns@gmail.com. I enjoyed our conversations a great deal.

• tessa50 says:

Okay Sharon, I am going to dive into the deep end. I hope you don’t think I am some kind of a nut. One of my questions is, did angels mate with humans?

I haven’t seen you lately though I may have missed your comments. I hope you are well and I pray for you daily. Take very good care.

• Sharon says:

Hi tessa – I’m going to drop to the bottom of the thread and leave my reply there – otherwise it gets too narrow.

I’m around. I just don’t comment much.

3. Deplorable_Infidel says:

“the Chapel is not a place for doctrinal disputes either. ”

Those are not edifying. If anyone on the other threads had a question, I would want them to come here for me to reply, rather than get off topic on the other threads, that’s all.

2Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

2Tim. 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

The Church belongs to our Lord Jesus Christ. We are just suppose to do our best in applying the truth of his Word in our lives and individual assemblies through out the world, because we will only experience the perfect unity expressed in the Holy Scriptures when we are all together with him.

Ephesains 4:1 ¶ I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
    2 ¶ With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
    3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
    4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
    5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
    6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

4. C R Lord says:

A Poem from my book “From the Heart of A Servant.”

This poem came at a time in my life when I was believing I had given everything for the Lord and then the Lord showed me the truth and I have never forgotten it.

My Surrender

It is not my surrender Lord,
    I know within my heart,
    There is no willingness to give,
    Even the smallest part.

I have no care for holy things,
    Dear self I must preserve,
    I only want what’s best for me,
    More than I could deserve.

Surrender? Oh my flesh cries out,
    You ask too much of me,
    Won’t you accept a certain part?,
    I cry out desperately.

Surrender all the Spirit calls,
    I can’t my soul replies,
    And shrinking from my cross I see,
    Grief in my Savior’s eyes.

I can’t, this time with tears I fall,
    Hard at the Master’s feet,
    “The give me your weakness,” he replied,
    I’ll make your surrender sweet.

Then light poured upon me from his face,
    His truth filled my heart with peace,
    As he took my weak and wavering will,
    Surrender was sweet release.

C. R. Lord © 2007

5. Ray Brensike says:

I will be your constant companion and your dearest friend, as long as you abide in me. Let my word be your sufficiency and strength. I have great comfort to give you anytime you need it. I will never leave you and I will never forsake you. When all you have is me, that is all you will ever need.

6. Remnant says:

My husband and I got married at the chapel featured on the main page and pictured above. I love that place. There’s also a covered bridge crossing a small river leading up to it. Very peaceful setting and beautiful year-round.

7. tessa50 says:

I really wanted to put this video here for everyone, but I was afraid that as it’s sung, you won’t catch the words. So, I did it this way. I think it’s important to grab on to the younger way of music, sometimes, because there are many fine younger ones singing our Lord’s praises. Sift and choose. I really like this one. Please know, I know nothing of these two and I don’t care, because this song stirs people and maybe help will bring them to God. Good enough for me.

8. Shelley Keith Childs says:

Prayer for our country (the long form)

Thank you Lord for the privilege of this life and the privilege of this day, the privilege of growing in the grace and knowledge of God, the privilege of praying for all other people, for whom we are thankful, please work your good and perfect will in our lives this day.

We thank you and praise you for our country. Thank you that we live with relative peace and security, and that we still have the freedom to speak out against injustice when we see it. Thank you for all of the good gifts that you’ve given us, for all that we have around us, especially those things we take for granted.

Father we pray that you would give us a government with laws that promote justice, honesty and truth, bringing opportunity to those in need and having compassion on those who are broken.

Father we pray that you would give us politicians who have clarity, integrity, and passion for what is right. Give them great intelligence to solve problems, but please give them great strength of character, to stay away from anything corrupt, or sinful, as well.

Please thwart the evil plans of men, and expose the evil deeds of men so that they will not escape justice, and rescue from destruction the innocent, the helpless, the unwary, and the unsaved, especially those children and seniors who have been forcibly separated from their families, please work your good and perfect will in their lives this day. Bless and protect all who travel, conduct business or attend classes today, that they may do so free of threats, danger, and destruction, please work your good and perfect will in their lives this day.

We pray that you would bring great healing to our nation where it needs it, bring about a generation who will stand against the tide of cynicism, to act justly, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with you.

Bless all who love us and all whom we love. Bless and protect Donald Trump and his family, Mike Pence and his family, all incoming Cabinet Members and Aides to the President and their families, all lawmakers who uphold Biblical principles and their families, law-keepers in all branches of the military and in all law enforcement agencies and their families, and work your good and perfect will in their lives this day, so that they will lead spiritually fruitful, spiritually productive lives, and as happy, healthy, and long as you have appointed with your good and perfect will, free from malevolent interferences.

Protect us from a slow agonizing destruction we pray.

In Jesus’ name, for His sake, and for His glory, we pray.

Amen.

9. Ffishman 1 says:

I just found this site today. What a blessing! Mary told Xavier on the WSJ opinion page. I read it.
    May God, who made the Aurora Borealis (The Father of Lights) be praised. Thats all I know for tonite. Thats is enough.

10. Sharon says:

This is in reply to tessa50’s comment at

First of all, tessa – I forgot to mention in my brief reply above – no, I don’t think you’re a nut!

The most concise information will simply be the footnote for Genesis 6:2 from the New King James Study Bible. The footnote is both concise and broad. It provides other references about the business of angels (both fallen and holy). It pretty much reflects the consensus I’ve gathered from Bible teachers over six decades.

“6:2: The Sons of God refer to a different group from either the men or their daughters. The phrase occurs elsewhere in the Bible and clearly means “angels.” Job 1:6 presents Satan and his angels coming into the presence of the Lord for an audience with His Majesty. Satan’s angels are there called “the sons of God,” with the suggestion that these angelic beings were once holy ones who served the Lord, but were now allied with the evil one.

“Genesis assumes the existence of the good angels of the Lord (see 3:24) and of Satan and his angels. It also assumes that the latter are already fallen and under God’s judgment (see 1:2). In 3:1 the serpent (Satan) was already at work as the father of lies (John 8:44).

“Here it appears that some of Satan’s angels, spirit beings, took on human form (see 3:24) and, out of a perverted lust, seduced women. In response, God reserved these angels for special judgment (II Peter 2:4; Jude 6) and cleansed the earth itself (with the Flood. ” [The flood is in Genesis 7 and 8].

• tessa50 says:

Thank you for your answer Sharon. This gives me a whole lot to think about and as always more questions. I’m going to do a bit of rereading. I had never been taught this, and at first disbelieved it. That led to the book of Enoch until I realized that’s not in the Bible.

• tessa50 says:

Hit send too early, sorry. Anyway, I will reread all the chapters you have given me and pray for clearer understanding. As always I appreciate your guidance and especially your scripture references. It never occurred to me that this tied to the Flood. I really love talking with you. I will have more questions but will wait until I have read again in a new light. Have a merry Christmas! Forgot to say I am glad you are well!

• Sharon says:

You’re welcome – this is one of those areas where we have some understanding of the situation because of what is recorded in Scripture. And it is also an area where we have limited understanding because of what is not recorded. There’s a simple principle that is perhaps useful here: where the Scripture speaks, we speak; where Scripture is silent, we are silent.

Whatever the exact details are of those events, the consequences and the justice required are in the hands of Almighty God.

11. tessa50 says:

Happy New Year Sharon and all. May God bless you.

12. Shelley Keith Childs says:

Prayer for our country (the short form)

Heavenly Father, we thank you and praise you for our country. Please thwart the evil plans of men, and expose the evil deeds of men so that they will not escape justice, and rescue from destruction the innocent, the helpless, the unwary, and the unsaved. Protect those facing persecution, blessing and shielding them, and touch the hearts of their persecutors, lifting the veil, so that they will recognize their sin, repent, and trust Jesus Christ as savior.

Father we pray that you would give us politicians who have clarity, integrity, and passion for what is right. Give them great intelligence to solve problems, but please give them great strength of character, to stay away from anything corrupt or sinful as well.

Bless all who love us and all whom we love. Bless and protect Donald Trump, Mike Pence, all incoming Cabinet Members and Aides to the President, all lawmakers who uphold Biblical principles, law-keepers in all branches of the military and in all law enforcement agencies and ALL of their families, and work your good and perfect will in their lives this day, so that they will lead spiritually fruitful, spiritually productive lives, and as happy, healthy, and long as you have appointed with your good and perfect will, free from malevolent interferences.

Protect us from a slow agonizing destruction we pray.

In Jesus’ name, Amen.

13. spingale says:

2 Timothy 3:

There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.

–I pray, God save our nation, protect our president and his aides, whom You have placed in this time for Your purposes. Though much of our nation has abandoned You, may You have mercy on us, and guide, strengthen and protect those who love You and seek Your Will. In Jesus’ Holy Name. Amen.

Thank you, CTH.

14. Elizabeth says:

Is this place real? Is this a real chapel? I’m amazed at the beauty of the place. What place is this? Our Lord is returning soon and so many are blind. Let us sing praises to the most Hight.
    Thank you for this place to worship our Lord and Savior.

15. kurt72 says:

I’ve just now discovered this part of CTH. Wonderful!

16. Sol Benedict says:

King David expressed the feeling that he hated the enemies of God with a perfect hatred. King Jesus reminded us to love our enemies, lest we become like them. How do we contain this paradox? We must hate evil, but it is good to weep for those whose road leads to Hell. Those who walk in ignorance cannot instruct us who are the children of Light. Either God has revealed Himself to us by His Spirit or we walk in darkness. On a lighter note: As the followers of Christ, how can we trust the opinions of those who walk in confusion? Those who do not know the difference between man and woman? Those who believe the declarations of evolutionary scientists and are closed to the glorious alternative of Divine creation and redemption? Those, who against compassion, murder the unborn? Those who cannot see the truth contained in Scripture or the revelation of our Creator through Jesus and the mighty works that He has done? Daily, I realize increasingly that the mainstream media has no clue. Furthermore, their rebellion against common-sense, natural law and those who choose to stand upon the Judeo-Christian foundation of this country and live by Christian ethics is ushering in a brave new world that is frightening in it’s connotations. The Liberals want utopia without God. Every time, this leads to a horrible end. God has given us a space with the present administration, may we be the salt and light needed to hold off the darkness in our lifetime and that of our posterity.

• Shelley Childs says:

“Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord’.”

– Romans 12:19

…and Paul is referencing:

“It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them.”

– Deuteronomy 32:35

17. jazz2112 says:

Hi Y’all! I confess to you that I’ve lurked for a while here on the CTH, being initially drawn by the insightful investigative articles put out by sundance. I also confess that I took liberty to seek out the beginnings of this blog, reading how many of you came from other blogs, (like HillBuzz) where your common love of our Country and affection for each other kept you together through that crazy “USO” SNAFU, then through the apparently short-lived Honey Trail blog, to here 🙂 I read a few of the old mailbox posts, I read a lot of the comments, and I read how you all really wanted (and succeeded) to assemble a place to call your own, to settle down and not have to be scattered again. That concerned rush to gather your own peeps, mingled with heartfelt prayers for one another showed me you all had a special bond. Look at the CTH now!

Needless to say, I found this Chapel in the Woods. I’d like to find a spot in one of the pews and sit among you, if you’d have me… I do love the Lord with all my heart. If we sing some hymns, I might get teary-eyed. Those would be tears of thankfulness as I think about the Lord’s lovingkindness towards me.

I’m thinking back to years ago, when I participated in Yahoo Chat groups, debating the atheists and evolutionists about the existence of God and truth of creation. (That was fun and frustrating at the same time). That was before MySpace infamy, and the last time I was engaged with the online community. Your love for Country, the Lord, and one another has compelled me to be drawn out again 😉

So, if I may ask, what part of the service did I come in at?

• WeeWeed says:

Welcome Jazz!

• Sharon says:

Hi, Jazz – what a thoughtful comment. You remind me of so many good things along the road that we have shared, going back almost 9 years now.

There is a refuge in the working of God across the centuries, years, months and days. With all the unavoidable tumult, it is vital that we pick up the encouraging breeze anywhere we can – and the Chapel may provide that.

If you read back through the years of posts, you will see that each post sort of brings a part of the service – the whole easily being greater than the parts – and that’s exactly what your comment has done.

I grew up in a country church on the prairies of eastern Montana and we surely had those sturdy pews. Each family had a predictable place in the arrangement! There was a security and a blessing in those things – in the container as well as the content.

Here’s one of the old gospel songs about those old country churches.

18. jazz2112 says:

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for posting the music video 🙂 Everyone looks so content in that church.

I did as you suggested, I read through the previous comments… wow! A lot to review. Seeing you reiterate the purpose of the Chapel a few times through the years made me think about how I conducted my own weekly email newsletter about 10 years ago… I was eager to shine the light for the Lord and had managed to “gather” many of my old fellow high school youth group friends together to essentially preach to them, lol. I closed it down after a couple of years because I felt I wasn’t getting the response I had hoped. Your decision to let this Chapel remain was a much better decision.

I never been to Montana. I grew up on the East Coast, and live currently in my “forever” home in northern Maryland (Near the Amish bastion of Lancaster, PA). I feel I can relate to you in very small way, as we live on about eight acres of pasture land, raising 50+ chickens, some ducks, 6 goats, and a small orchard in a somewhat rural county. Our barn cats take care of the mice and moles, and I take care of the various projects in the out-buildings, essentially being my own farmette-hand, lol. I bring home the bacon, my wife stays home and homeschools the kids, and we all love to go to church on Wednesdays and Sundays. The traditional American way seems to be alive and well in various pockets, despite the way some things are going all around us.

I’d love to hear your testimony sometime 🙂 I’d love to hear how you’ve presumably become more Christ-like in your decades of faith, drawing ever closer to Him.

• Sharon says:

When we first stumbled into this clearing in the woods, as Sundance explained at the time, he just started arranging the furniture and each of us (about 8-10 at the time) sort of picked up a tool we thought we might be effective with, even as we worked together on all things – sometimes using tools we had never seen before.

I will never forget the days of being under threats of all kinds during the Zimmerman trial and some of us founders were kind of freaked out at the venom specifically directed our way. Sundance gathered us around for a couple of minutes and (specifically) said, “Suck it up, Cupcakes!”

I’ve learned so much from watching him lead, influence and communicate over these years.

If you want to see bits of my testimony, you can find it in the Mailboxes and Old Barns columns that I wrote for a few years, and in some of the essays I shared during the time my husband was getting ready to leave this life in early 2014 – here’s a link to the last of them. (There were four of those specific essays, I think, published during December 2013 to March 2014)

19. kurt72 says: