The Chapel Door is Open – Part 3

Click HERE to see Part 1 of “The Chapel Door is Open”.

Click HERE to see Part 2 of “The Chapel Door is Open”.

One of the things we’ve talked about on the open threads is provided for in the Chapel in the Woods which Sundance has constructed at the lower right.  Comments and conversations about what the Bible has to say about world events have always been welcome here in the woods, and the Chapel is where we can extend those conversations.  It will be open 24/7, just like the Prayer Request thread, functioning as a “perpetual open thread.”

The Chapel is the place to drop in when we notice that our questions or statements, reasonings or fears are best expressed with a Judeo-Christian historical and spiritual context. Anyone who doesn’t care to talk about or pray to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is  just as welcome in the Chapel as they are in the Treehouse.

The tone and content of Chapel conversations is expected to be the same as elsewhere in the Treehouse: honest and thoughtful.  The Chapel has been built to provide a place for folks to discuss what the Bible says about any number of things~~past, present or future.

Argumentiveness and unkindness will be quickly deleted.  Anyone who comes through the Chapel door to argue against the Bible as our primary source of information about God and what He thinks about things will be ushered out by the ushers.  Anyone who comes to the Chapel for the purpose of Christian-bashing will be thrown out on their ear.

This nation has been a gift of God for well over 200 years, displaying among the nations what a fine thing it is when people are allowed to enjoy those things given by their Creator; among them life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  The United States of America is our nation-house, and there are people trying to burn it down.

This nation is a blessing given to all of us, and there is no supposed “spiritual reason” for people who believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to sit back and fold their hands and somehow assume that it would be wrong for them to stand up and fight.  We will fight and we will stand~~and we consider ourselves free to talk about, refer to, think about and pray to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob while we do it.

So come on in.  The Chapel’s open.

Our thread was getting pretty slow to load, so this should get us back up to speed! Thanks to Stella for help in getting the new page going. 9/14/2013 ~~ Sharon

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

380 Responses to The Chapel Door is Open – Part 3

1. Sharon says:

This is a repeat from way up thread – but one of my favorites.

2. Stricken, smitten, and afflicted,
    See Him dying on the tree!
    ’Tis the Christ by man rejected;
    Yes, my soul, ’tis He, ’tis He!
    ’Tis the long expected prophet,
    David’s Son, yet David’s Lord;
    Proofs I see sufficient of it:
    ’Tis a true and faithful Word.

Tell me, ye who hear Him groaning,
    Was there ever grief like His?
    Friends through fear His cause disowning,
    Foes insulting his distress:
    Many hands were raised to wound Him,
    None would interpose to save;
    But the deepest stroke that pierced Him
    Was the stroke that Justice gave.

Ye who think of sin but lightly,
    Nor suppose the evil great,
    Here may view its nature rightly,
    Here its guilt may estimate.
    Mark the Sacrifice appointed!
    See Who bears the awful load!
    ’Tis the Word, the Lord’s Anointed,
    Son of Man, and Son of God.

Here we have a firm foundation,
    Here the refuge of the lost.
    Christ the Rock of our salvation,
    Christ the Name of which we boast.
    Lamb of God for sinners wounded!
    Sacrifice to cancel guilt!
    None shall ever be confounded
    Who on Him their hope have built.

• taqiyyologist says:

Sixteen years ago I hand-copied a few hundred hymns and praise/worship songs, along with the chords. I have it here next to me. That song is the most amazing one in there. The (guitar) chords change every other syllable, although I’m sure it could be arranged otherwise.

That was a nice find, I must say, on YouTube.

Y’all can’t imagine the serendipitous, God-talking-to-me things that have happened to me in the last few weeks. Praise God!

Today. Quite a few amazing things. The second-most amazing was this.

The dishwashing (heh) device which I use at work has a door at each end, and they both slide up when you pull up on the lever at each end.

I’m trying to train the 18th dishwasher I’ve feebly attempted to train in this art in the last 8 years. He’s on the receiving end of the energy-efficient dishwasher, and when the cycle completes… he grabs said door-opening handle and throws open both doors.

Now… As a standard in our kitchen, all kitchen knives with an actual edge are placed on the top of the dish-rinsing device just above the door at my end of the machine, with the blade away from me.

I was about to grab the handle of said chef knife,so that I could clean all the thyme and rosemary off of it, just sharpened like a Gillette last thursday, and BAM, the door opens, my fingers half around the handle and…

…the knife (big, huge chef knife) goes spinning, and I back up, and the VERY TIP of this implement of elephant-man-making HITS MY LOWER LIP!

I bled for 1.5 seconds, by my estimation, folks. I’ve had chapped lips with worse bleeding.

Imagine. In the seconds after it happened (and five other people, at least, saw it) I was stunned. I quickly walked to the employee bathroom and was AGAIN stunned, because I thought I had just made an inverted harelip out of my mouth. and that I surely must be bleeding profusely.

Today is the closest I’ve ever become to being disfigured at work.

And God is speaking to me.

That was the second-most amazing evidence of God today,

• Sharon says:

Wow. Thank God, seriously, that your face was not injured far worse.

• taqiyyologist says:

Meh. Even if`it were an inverted harelip, I’d be full of love.

Considering everything.

Watch the video.

• Sharon says:

That is beautiful taqiyy. The simplicity of the piano acc. and the ever-changing chords. I was familiar with the words and recognize the beautiful minor melody so sang along on a harmony part.

• Spar Harmon says:

1805 that was written. People just don’t get it how infused with God people were back then, only a decade or so after the Constituion.
              Thanks for that lift, taqiy, like Sharon I was singing, but bass with a few flights into descant tenor…
              no matter, I was jus’ singin’… Lord, how my heart is lifted by Thee…

• taqiyyologist says:

so far.

3. Listen to these harmonies…. Awe.

Arise.

Arise
    For the kingdom has come
    Arise
    For the kingdom has come
    [repeat]

4. Sharon says:

That’s good stuff, taqiyy. There’s not much new on the battlefield, is there? Even as seemingly new things burn through our days the raw material doesn’t vary much.

The relaxed tone of their singing fits with the praise and declaration of the lyric.

5. kallibella says:

This is the first time I comment on this particular thread, and I just wanted to share with you a prayer that I find to apt for all of us. It comes from “The Valley of Vision: Puritan Prayers and Devotions.” This little book is among my favorites in my prayer time along with the Word of God.

The Valley of Vision
    Lord, High and Holy, Meek and Lowly,

Thou hast brought me to the valley of vision,
    where I live in the depths but see thee in the heights;
    hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold thy glory.

Let me learn by paradox
    that the way down is the way up,
    that to be low is to be high,
    that the broken heart is the healed heart,
    that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
    that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
    that to have nothing is to possess it all,
    that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
    that to give is to receive,
    that the valley is the place of vision.

Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from deepest wells,
    and the deeper the wells the brighter thy stars shine;
    Let me find thy light in my darkness,
    thy life in my death,
    thy joy in my sorrow,
    thy grace in my sin,
    thy riches in my poverty,
    thy glory in my valley.