Independence Day Reflections

A suggestion for this post came a few days ago from one of our Treepers. I think it is a wonderful idea, especially for today, and during these times.

I will just copy here a portion of her letter to me.

My friend, Jack is the father of four sons… and at the end of an email about his sadness over the dismantling of the statues of Washington and Lincoln, he mentioned that he and his boys had just been listening to “The Ballad of Davy Crockett,” and then he commented that “pretty soon, they’ll come for that, too.”

They very well could.

It made me think….what if they come for it all—all of our stories and poems and songs and books and movies, but each one of us could save something….what would it be? (Like Dolly Madison saved the portrait of Washington from the burning White House).

So, I wonder if Treepers would contribute to an “American cultural treasure chest” by suggesting the title of a poem, story, book, movie, song, or even of a photo or painting that was an important part of his or her own growing up. I’d be glad to collect all the suggestions together into something Jack and other parents and grandparents could share with their children and grandchildren as a way of connecting them to American history and culture—through the eyes of ordinary American people.

I was just reading …“Casey at the bat,” and I would definitely save that. It was the first poem that ever made me cry. And the book my mother read to me over and over again when I was very little, “The Little Engine that Could.” And Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol.” And all of the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals. And “Gone With the Wind.”

I wonder what bits of your own cultural history you would save?

If people are planning to be with friends and family this 4th of July weekend, the question might be a great conversation starter.

So, I pass on this idea, and a few thoughts.

If it is worth saving, it is worth sharing, teaching, discussing, promoting. Lots of us are feeling that we should do something to stop the insanity going on in this country right now, but not sure exactly where to start or what to do.

At 62, with no real talents except cooking and pissing people off left and right, I have now reached the Don’t Give a Red Hot Damn stage in my life, and I feel I do not have a lot to lose in the battles to come, which for me have mostly been fought on social media. Should things escalate I would imagine that there are more than a few cantankerous old people who are also at that stage.

But I do have one other talent and ability, perhaps the most important of my life. I can teach, and I love to, although I am not a professional and have no degree in teaching. I have tutored my own and other kids along the way, and now I have grandchildren.

Those grandchildren will learn things from me. It is time I gave more thought to what exactly I want to spend time teaching them. Of course I have always had books here for them, and my eight year old granddaughter, who loves to read, just asked me to get some longer books to keep here for her. I bought Heidi and Swiss Family Robinson a few months ago. I also keep children’s religious stories and books, and since she had her First Holy Communion recently,  a Bible for her, and some more advanced books dealing with her studies to prepare her for the Sacrament.

So, my point is this. Education and knowledge and influence are weapons and we have the ability to use them. I have a lot of time with my grandchildren, and today is the day to make a little more time for important things, and I don’t just mean books.

I’ve taught some of the kids some cooking basics, as well as started teaching them to bake breads. My husband is a genius at fixing any and everything, and a very good mechanic. He has always taken the time to answer the kids’ questions and let them help him with his projects, and fixing their own broken things.

What talents, skills, and knowledge can you pass on? I might even think about volunteering as a tutor in inner city schools. There are lots of places that people with good intent can pass on what we have to share.

Happy 4th of July Treepers!

Added note: Please read the post. There is a reason for it. It isn’t another post for political rage, sarcasm, anger, and insults. The Treeper who suggested this is going to compose a listing of all your ideas that might be shared. Do we have to make her sort through rants?

This entry was posted in Celebrations, Election 2020, History, Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

774 Responses to Independence Day Reflections

1. DeWalt says:

Louis Lamour

2. 335blues says:

The first of, I hope, many suggestions. I hope this is a contributing post as it will take time to dust off memories as they come back to me. When I was young:
    1. The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner

• 335blues says:

Sorry, I typed “continuing” and somebodies idea of autocorrect substituted “contributing” and I did not catch it.

3. MitchSteel says:

Where the Red Fern Grows
    Old Yeller
    Mark Twain

• jackalix says:

Oh Mark Twain is a definite must,his life was quite remarkable in his retreats to write.As to me I was a military brat Dad served in WWII with the 92nd BG in England I have records and newspaper paper clippings starting in 1937 when he joined the AAC all the way to 1979.My Son now serves in the in the AF with the 35th FW in Miaswa,Japan even though he never met his GF he saw the pictures and heard the stories I heard.My Mother never went to work raised seven(Catholic) kids and the biggest memories are Church,Christmas Easter,Thanksgiving and the 4th we were Americans!
      Dad:whatever job you do do it to the best of your ability even if it’s sweeping a floor people notice.This has followed me all my life no matter how small the project was or who would ever see it.
      As to what do we save? We save or History it is who we are warts and all.

• greenswampgirl says:

I second your motion.

4. saywhat64 says:

In the surreal times we are now living, a perfect keepsake for me would be the novel “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand. Ayn Rand was born in Russia in 1905. She was there during the Russian Marxist Revolution and the formation of the USSR. She lived and survived through the abolishment of free market capitalism and personally experienced the destruction of old Russia which ensued before she migrated to the USA. Atlas Shrugged changed my life and perspective on the free market and human nature. I would highly recommend all Treepers to read her masterpiece if you have not. The synchronicity of Atlas Shrugged with current events is breathtaking. The left has tried to censure this novel for decades as it exposes their sick and twisted motivations to turn our great United States into a despot cesspool of communist corruption to benefit the power players at the top.

In the same venue I would also add George Orwell’s 1984 and Animal farm as a warning to future Amercans to better understand the how great our system of government is and what can happen if it is not protected and cultivated.

Happy 4th of July to my beloved Country and to all my cyber CTH patriots and friends..

5. DeWalt says:

The Crossing

6. chuck lowe says:

Davy Crockett?!?!?!?!?!??????? Hell, they are coming for the entire Western Canon.

Shakespeare – Iago, “I hate the Moor”. No doubt, next year as the genius’ in the BLM/AntiFa revolutionaries consign more statues, books, movies, “White Patriarchal” oeuvres and “wrong think” ideas to the dust bin of history, they will dig up Harold Bloom and hang him in Washington D.C. in a tree.

The blood simple, death grinding stupidity of these petulant, self absorbed, violent zombies knows no senescence. Like Zombies, they have no intellectual ability and live only to kill and destroy.

What percentage of BLM members, can actually do Long Division. Probably less than the percentage of NBA players who can do Long Division.

Fat, stupefying, blinkered, myopic sub standard politicians and MSM talking heads run air cover for retards like Benjamin Crump, Al Sharpton, Michelle Obama, Sean Talcum X King and legions of flipper baby intellects, who now control the narrative.

I hate the Moor.

7. 335blues says:

Push once and be patient.

8. Benjie says:

Washington Irving, the beautiful art of Frank Benson (I wish I could post pictures), children’s nature books by Thornton Burgess, and Hugh Lofting’s Dr. Doolittle books.

And lastly, I treasure the book “Richard Halliburton’s Book of Marvels” which reminds me of the greatness of brave Americans who built this nation. Describing the Washington Monument:

“From time to time, I have feared that greed, and ignorance and injustice were threatening to destroy our country, feared we were losing all the ideals George Washington bestowed upon us. But just one look at his Monument has given me, and thousands like me new faith in America and the American creed that I learned as a child. It rises into the sky as a defender of noble standards, of honest dealing in public affairs, and as a defiance to every enemy who would drag down the institutions that have made our country great.

No monument was ever built to better purpose, than this one for as long as it guards our capital we can be sure that honor and justice, order and sanity, will prevail.” Richard Halliburton (1900-1939)

9. trapper says:

Jefferson was constantly distilling the Bible, attempting to discern Christ’s pure message, His true meanings, without the editorializing and biases and cultural baggage that the writers of Scripture brought with them.

I view the first sentence of the second paragraph of the Declaration as inspired by Jefferson’s study of the Words of Jesus. It was Jefferson’s attempt to fashion Christ’s religious message into a set of political principles that would form the moral foundation upon which the colonies might build a new nation lodged firmly upon Christian bedrock.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men [cultural anachronism, read “persons”] are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

This is American political scripture. Nearly every word carries meaning profound enough to stand alone, and it is possible, perhaps even essential, to “deep dive” them just as we deep-dive a Bible passage.

Truths, not opinions
    Self-evident, not a product of reason
    All persons, no exceptions
    Created, by God
    Equal. In the eyes of God, and so under the law, we are Equals
    Endowed, inherent, not inherited
    by God, not human-created
    Rights, not privileges or indulgences
    Unalienable, what God gives no one can cancel
    Among these, there are others not stated here
    Life
    Liberty
    Pursuit of Happiness.

The focus is usually upon the rights to life and liberty/freedom, with the pursuit of happiness dismissed as formless, nondescript, and devoid of meaning. But I believe the pursuit of happiness is the greatest of the listed rights. The first two build, one upon the other, to yield the pursuit of happiness. That is the big one. With the first two you are then free to be who you can be, who God created you to develop into, with whatever talents and abilities and interests and loves he provided you.

We try, we come up short, we repent, and we resolve to do better tomorrow, all the time knowing that we will again come up short. But I believe God put us here not to be perfect, but to try. I believe it is the trying that pleases God. We, each of us, all of us, have the right to discover and be who God meant us to be. That is the purest pursuit of happiness, the ultimate freedom. Jefferson nailed it.

Happy Independence Day

10. I would contribute the Walt Whitman poem “Oh Captain! My Captain!” written as an elegy on the death of Abraham Lincoln.

11. HB says:

Patrick McManus stories. For those that don’t know, he was a comedy writer for Outdoor Life.

If you want to laugh until your sides hurt, read those. The older compilations are the best.

12. DeWalt says:

A Radio Flyer wagon

13. walt39 says:

I would definitely save a copy of “A Message To Garcia” by Elbert Hubbard. Not too well known now but expresses a key part of the American outlook very clearly. AND of course it’ll piss off the left — always worth doing.

And a copy of the oath I took on entering the Navy in 1957. Same reasons as above. And probably a copy of the manual for the M4 carbine as an occasionally useful reference, though the number of spelling and other errors in my copy makes me cringe. Probably not actually necessary to keep that as about 50 million other guys will have one.

I see that author Menagerie already took care of ‘The Little Engine That Could.’ And there’ll be lots of copies of the bible with Ecclesiastes 3

That’s enough for me.

14. Lack is not all says:

I will save a picture of all our Nobel Prices. As a new American, (only 50 years living in this country), I am so proud of that.

15. 335blues says:

EVERYTHING by the author Joseph A. Altsheler.
    I have reread the ‘The Young Trailer’ series and the ‘French and Indian War’ series many times.

16. jmclever says:

My family of origin grew up under the shadow of the disgraceful southern epithet of “poor white trash” in the rural areas that never really recovered from the Great Depression. My dad’s formal education ended in 8th grade because he had to work to help support his family. so when Vietnam came along, he did not get to go to college but instead served his nation as a soldier in the US Army. Even though he was drafted, he served with pride and took pride in his marksmanship that was a direct result of having learned to shoot squirrels for dinner. But my dad never handed down a victim mentality or a “stick it to The Man” mentality to us. He taught us to work hard, to make the most of every opportunity, to use what you got, and to do things right the first time. My dad taught us to live with integrity and never to sink to the level of those who seek to tear us down.

Under different circumstances, my dad would have been a mechanical engineer. My dad can fix just about anything and he has reengineered and fixed many things deemed unfixable. He could have been a builder. Ive watched him build block by block with only the simplest of tools a two car garage that still stands to this day. My dad is not bitter about his past or the opportunities that never opened up for him.

My dad has been a small business owner for the last 30 years. My dad has never been unemployed for more than a week because when things got hard, he took any job he could find. If there was no work, he went out and made some. He did not receive special help because he is a veteran or a member of any other protected class. My dad succeeded because he had a will to do it. His children succeed because he handed down his American grit.

My dad knows by heart the old songs like the ballad of the Edmund Fitzgerald. He taught us all the verses of the ballad of the battle of New Orleans. He’ll tell you straight away that the Civil was was more about states’ rights than slavery. He remembers the America his dad and granddad fought to preserve.

My dad is a national treasure.

17. Davenh says:

A more contemporary addition, albeit a great one in my estimation. Dinesh D’Souza’s book “What’s so great about America “. I would highly recommend it to everyone young and old.

18. Davenh says:

19. Phil McCoxwell says:

The Three Stooges

20. lansdalechip says:

The Boy Scout handbook circa 1950. Not the watered down, meaningless version of today. Survival skills and a great moral code to live by.

21. Danimal28 says:

You represent the beauty of this greatest experiment in the history of man, Menage!

Most of us are former soldiers, business people, volunteer firefighters, and most importantly parents who have passed on the great legacy of the greatness of America to our families and communities over the decades. Please keep doing that and we will be fine.

Love to all! HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!

22. Your Tour Guide says:

Left out one important one.

The book “Johnny Tremain”. We had part of
    it read to us, and sometimes the teacher would
    have us read it aloud. This was in 3rd grade,
    believe it or not. A story of those involved in
    the revolutionary war, by a fictitious kid.
    Excellent. Intense in parts.

RIP Mrs Bill. Best teacher I ever had.

• Lynda Durrant says:

‘So a man may stand up.’ This is one of my favorites, too.

• steph_gray says:

I adored this book! Such a wonderful story of setback and achievement.

• betseyross says:

My fifth grade teacher would read to us every morning for about 15 minutes before the day began. It was a fantastic way to start your day. She was reading Johnny Tremain as the school year ended. There were several chapters left in the book and school was due to be out! The last day was just a formality by just getting our report cards and we were outta there for the summer. She told us the day before that if we wanted to stay to hear the end that it would probably take until lunch time and be sure to tell our parents that we would be late getting home.(We all walked to school, our mothers were home and she trusted us with the message.) Not one student left the classroom. For everyone else summer vacation had started.
      When I became a teacher I always read to my children and made sure that what I read was just a wee bit more difficult than the level I was teaching. It was so important to read to you kids no matter how old they are.
      Thanks for that Independence Day memory. I had forgotten just when and where my love of history and historical fiction came from.

23. jmclever says:

Toward American grit and exceptionalism, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel and The Ballad of John Henry.

24. samwise163 says:

The Battle of New Orleans – a song my dad use to sing to me. By Johnny Horton

25. jmclever says:

American smart assness…all old Bugs Bunny cartoons!

26. Dar Adal says:

Save the music since once heard, it cannot ever be taken from you. I am especially fond of American patriotic songs. The recently released version of Lee Greenwood’s God Bless the U.S.A. is wonderful. If you’ve not yet heard it, you can here. Take a moment.

• jmclever says:

It is AMAZING! Goosebumps and tears. These songs remind me that our beautiful country is dying an my children and grandchildren are too young and indoctrinated to know it.

27. jmclever says:

All marches by John Philip Sousa

28. BebeTarget / abdb61 says:

All the music by Brahms, Bach, Rachmaninoff and Tchaikowsky . . . . plus Saint-Saens’ C-minor Organ Concerto and Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana, especially the soprano solo. . . . . . and of course, a box of tissues.

29. daveokc says:

Movies that portrayed courageous men in a positive light.

Excalibur (1981)
    The Spirit of St. Louis (1957)
    Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
    The Right Stuff (1983)
    Ulysses (1954)
    300 (2006)
    Beowulf (2007)
    The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965)
    Ben-Hur (1959)
    The Adventures of Robin Hood 1938)
    The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)
    Sergeant York (1941)
    The Cowboys (1972)
    The Passion of the Christ (2004)
    A Man For All Seasons (1966)
    Cinderella Man (2005)
    Rocky (1976)
    The Wizard of Oz (1939)
    Hard Times (1975)
    On the Waterfront (1954)

30. 335blues says:

OK, one last author from when I was young.
    Horatio Alger wrote a lot of stories many of which follow the storyline of young people, often children, born in humble beginnings who rose to respectability through hard work and determination. Try ‘Ragged Dick’ as it was his first popular story and brought him attention and fame.

31. Retired USMC says:

Whenever I think of our founding and the sacrifice made to establish freedom my mind always travels back to that of a young boy and the painting “Spirit of ’76”. I often imagined myself as the boy in the painting, marching head high an chest out, playing that drum. That painting is an inspiration to my to this very day.

32. alliwantissometruth says:

I would put the election of Donald J. Trump as President as a significant milestone in American history, and quite possibly the event that reignited the American spirit and saved America

That is yet to be seen of course, but it’s lesson is one for the ages

The phrase “We the People” isn’t simply words on historical American documents, they’re words that epitomize what America is all about, the power of the people, of the common man

Written history will rarely, if ever, explain how forces outside of the interests of the people took control of our political system and installed puppets into the Oval Office for many decades, and the phrase “We the People” became akin to a used car salesman selling a junker, lot’s of shiny words to sell the car, but the car broke down the minute you got it home

Putting Donald Trump into the Oval Office was the resurgence of we the peoples power, an awakening long overdue

The history is still being written, as we the people have much more work to do, but that election is a lesson that all young Americans need to understand. It’s we the peoples government, and we have to be diligent and work at keeping what is ours

When the rest of that history is written, it may be we won the battle but lost the war, or, it may turn out to be the biggest American victory since the American Revolution, where we vanquished the forces of greed and evil and returned America to it’s rightful place as the beacon of liberty and freedom

Happy Fourth to Sundance and crew, and to all the Treepers and Treepers in spirit out there

33. Truthfilter says:

Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

A Painted House by John Grisham

34. Blue Wildflower says:

Teach the grandkids simple things, so the knowledge grows as they grow. My two year old recognizes the American flag, he has several of the small ones on a stick (not child proof) and marches to American patriot songs. The one and two year olds hold their hands in prayer and I say a simple prayer at their meals, we celebrate with the “Amen.”

35. Anita says:

The Rush Revere Series
    The Jon McNaughton painting Forgotten Man…but the one with PDJT and Melania riding into town on the Harley, flag flying strong, is a close second
    The Faygo song. You’d probably have to be from the Midwest to get this one, but its my childhood for sure.

36. MaineCoon says:

Growing up one school assignment was to memorize a poem of our choosing to recite in class. This poem has resonated in my spirit at many points in my life and most certainly in hindsight.

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN

BY ROBERT FROST
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

• PatriotGrandmother says:

I too when growing up my favorite poem was a Robert Frost poem. In my twenties, I gifted this poem written on a wooded plaque to my Aunt and Uncle. When they passed on, it was given back to me and has been displayed on the staircase wall in my home so it can be easily read. My children know this poem and I now as my grandchildren learn to read, I am looking forward to explaining the poem to them when they visit. So I contribute:

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
      by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
      His house is in the village though;
      He will not see me stopping here
      To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
      To stop without a farmhouse near
      Between the woods and frozen lake
      The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
      To ask if there is some mistake.
      The only other sound’s the sweep
      Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
      But I have promises to keep,
      And miles to go before I sleep,
      And miles to go before I sleep.

• MaineCoon says:

Ah, yes. Another favorite. I remember seeing Frost recite his poem “The Gift Outright” at JFK’s inauguration.

• I was just thinking about this poem and I always associate it John F. Kennedy, I remember every moment on the day he was assassinated. They let us out of school and I walked home and my mother was sitting in her chair staring at the tv and she was crying. My dad was just standing there. I’ll never forget that day and my mom crying…

37. Rockindubya says:

Johnny Cash-Ragged Old Flag

38. David In TN says:

Speaking of “The Ballad of Davy Crockett,” there is a statue of David Crockett in a Tennessee town near where I live. I’ll go by today and see if it’s undamaged. Inscribed on the statue is David Crockett’s motto:

“Be sure you are right and then go ahead.”

39. wee2low says:

Every Norman Rockwell painting.

40. TexSwede says:

D Day, Okinawa, Iwo Jima, Pearl Harbor and countless other times our forefathers gave their lives for our independence.

41. Greg R says:

Please add
    The Road Not Taken- Robert Frost

42. Blue Wildflower says:

We have a grandson that was given to us from God because our son married a wonderful woman that already had a ten year old. He is a teenager now and is into the conservative podcasts. We listen to him and he listens to us. He asks questions and we answer.

43. Robin says:

We must preserve Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, though the Marxist book-burners will no doubt be coming for them. Also Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Cooper’s Deerslayer novels (Last of the Mohicans, etc.), the Uncle Remus tales, and Little Women. And I second the motion to preserver the entire Louis Lamour cannon.

• steph_gray says:

Little Women is fine but Little Men is even better for our times. It was all about what boys needed for growing up to be fine men.

And it’s telling that there are no current big-fanfare remakes of this sequel.

44. The old movie, 1776. It was a musical, and we watched it every year growing up. Always on the 4th of July. I own it to this day, and we will be watching it.

45. hrmfc says:

Remember and recite The Pledge of Allegiance.
    Sing The Star Spangled Banner, America, God bless America, America the Beautiful and This Land is Your Land.
    Vote in person on election day with a paper ballot.

46. For kids particularly, I would save the Disney film, “Johnny Tremain.” It got me interested in the American Revolution as a kid, a passion that continues through today.

47. Ann Stuart Anderson says:

The last stanza of the Star Spangled Banner will give one chillls it is so beautiful.
    From Ann

• Auwtsnae says:

I recently came across this quote from a war movie that was released a few years back and I found it applicable to current events.

“That’s exactly what we’re fighting for, our culture, and for our way of life. You can wipe out a generation of people. You burn their homes to the ground and somehow they’ll still come back, but if you destroy their achievements and their history then it’s like they never existed, just ash floating. That’s what Hitler wants and it’s the one thing we simply can’t allow.”

– Frank Stokes (The Monuments Men)

Ironically, the movie cast is full of actors who have helped fund the anarchists creating chaos on our streets today.

It’s not our monuments and history they’re trying to erase, it is our very existence.

48. PinotNoir says:

Norman Rockwell painting of Freedom of Speech. Story of how Washington turned down the offer to become king when the Continental Army was on the verge of mutiny.

49. Robin says:

Oh, yes. I have to add everything C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. Not Americans, obviously, but still a vital part of our cultural heritage.

If you want to understand what’s going on in America today, read Lewis’s sci-fi trilogy, Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength—especially the last one (though the other two set it up).