Memorial Day Closes…

A long-held musical tradition at military funerals, the music of Taps originated from a Civil War bugle call entitled, “Extinguish Lights”. A plaintive call, the sounding of Taps signals the end of the fallen serviceman’s duty and is the final tribute from a grateful nation.

To those who have given the last full measure of devotion, we honor your service, pay tribute to your lives, and thank you for your selfless sacrifice.

The Bugler is Technical Sgt. Jason Covey. The location is Culpeper National Cemetery

“Today we honor the extra ordinary sacrifice of not only these service members, but also their families–especially our Gold Star families. Each individual loss brings untold grief. Each loss is a hope never realized. Each loss is a dream never reached.”

Every one was a son or a daughter. A husband or a wife. A mother or a father. Each is a gaping hole of grief that can never be adequately filled.”

“For the families of the fallen we are here to remember that for them every day is Memorial Day.”

~ Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff U.S. Army General Mark A. Milley

This entry was posted in Big Government, Military, Patriotism, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Memorial Day Closes…

1. Keystonekon says:

Always touching!

• Tulips Moran says:

Taps played at Arlington Cemetery is always a moving experience but unfortunately totally ignored by over half of the American citizens and minimally among Green Card, VISA and illegal. The Dimwits have done as much as possible to blunt American history. If people are not reminded of the ultimate sacrifice so many Patriots have made throughout the history of our Republic, it’s easy for the Dimwits to overlook the greatness of our country and trample the Constitution.

2. bullnuke says:

A very moving video. Nothing brings tears faster than taps.

3. guru1966 says:

I was honored to perform Taps today at the gravesite of a local veteran who passed earlier this year.

• InAz says:

@ guru1966

👍

• RZ says:

Thank you guru. Wonderful.

I spent several years stationed at the Pentagon
      And at Fort Myer. Arlington Cemetery is between the two.
      Because my grandparents and friends are in Arlington I would visit there often. Watching the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier and funerals are extremely well done and touching. Sincere gratitude to the US Army’s Third Infantry.
      Anyone visiting the Washington area should certainly take the tour of Arlington

• Mary Van Deusen says:

So deeply touched. Great honor to both you and to the fallen.

• Kaco says:

Thank you for sharing how you honored this veteran, very nice. God rest his soul and may He give peace to the family. .

• T2020 says:

Bless you.🇺🇸🎼😢

• Vincent Piotet says:

Thank you. I love this. GOD loves us and shows great grace and mercy.
      Your friend in Him. Vincent O. Piotet

4. Big Jake says:

It’s too bad people like fallen Border Patrol Agents are not included today. They defend the nation from physical invasion.

RIP Weldon Smith, EOW 10-19-1979 and all your fallen brothers and sisters.

Honor First.

5. It seems the closer to realizing my journey is about to end, the more meaning this has and the deeper the emotion.

To absent companions!

6. Mary Van Deusen says:

My father wrote a poem to Taps in 1933. He left money in his will for the bugler and members of the firing squad. From his book, Old Soldiers’ Drums:

Wikipedia connects it to General Butterfield, under whom my g2uncle served, General Henry Seymour Lansing. He got the promotion from Colonel for commanding a battlefield from a stretcher while his CO was incapacitated.

• Kaco says:

Thanks for sharing, that’s something to be very proud of.

• Mary Van Deusen says:

The reason I got into the whole Night Before Christmas authorship issue was because I was trying to find father’s poetry. All I knew was that he’d written one or two books, and that mother had given copies to Frank Lloyd Wright and Robert Frost when she took them to dinner for her journalism major. But all the years of searching were fruitless. So I did genealogy to see if father had given one to a relative I could track down. And that led to Henry Livingston and the Vassar prof I first researched with. FINALLY, I learned how to research poetry and found father’s poetry column and, from the poetry research, learned how to tear apart both his and mother’s pseudonyms. Including mother using the pseudonym Mary and father writing a poem to the middle name they gave me. But I still couldn’t find the books. And then I thought to use the multiple spelling approach I use for genealogy and there it was! Father’s book with his name misspelled on the cover! I’m still breathless after all the years of searching.

• T2020 says:

Thank you for sharing that. He was a brave and humble man to open his heart in those letters. You are the Mary he wrote about. Sorry for your loss, but glad you have his letters.

• Mary Van Deusen says:

Only because I stole the letters he wrote her out of mother’s file cabinet. She would have burned them. She left him when I was 6 weeks old and told me very little about him. She said they’d never fought and he had no idea she was leaving. He was an alcoholic and she worried for the care of her children if she became ill. Without those letters and the obituary for his mother (her pallbearers were the Governor of CO and 3 generals, so I knew I had a chance), I would have known nothing about him. Much less that he loved the infant me. I visited his grave at the Ft Sam Houston cemetery and told him all about our family. Stupid, but it helped. So very, very many monuments of so many brave soldiers. Father put mother on a pedestal. Mother just wanted him to bring home loaves of bread. Tragic for both of them.

7. davidsstones says:

The words to taps. I found this I’d tucked away; today of all days; here are the words to Taps.
    A prayer at the close of each day and each warrior’s life. You can ‘hear’ the notes playing as you read in cadence.

Day is done

Neat the sun
    neath the stars
    neath the sky

As we go
    This we know
    God is nigh

First played July 1862 in camp at Harrison’s Landing, Virginia.
    Words written by Union General Daniel Butterfield and set to music with brigade bugler, Oliver Willcox Norton. Union Army, Civil War.

8. bmwjac says:

God bless all those who have Fallen the Veteran’s the Men & Women who are serving . We Ask for God to bless the Families who lost their Loved ones who have lost those Sacred moments that we get to enjoy. Freedom is not Free. We salute honor and Love each and everyone of you . We will stand with you. Thank you all.

9. bmwjac says:

10. bmwjac says:

11. Kaco says:

With deep gratitude to all those who served and laid down their lives for the sake of our Constitutional Republic. May we never squander their sacrifice.

12. Ploni says:

All honor to them.

13. T2020 says:

My town in lower NY did NOTHING. Maybe someone put wreaths around earlier in the week. We usually had a parade and speeches from all branches of the military, but because of Gov Mussolini 2.0, no gatherings. We could have done something. There are vets that may not be with us next year.😢

14. L. E. Joiner says:

Our son Nathan is a Messianic Jewish Rabbi, and a trumpeter. Here he plays Taps, and offers a prayer for the nation on Memorial Day:

15. ARTHUR says:

Oh and I thought you were going to comment how they closed Memorial Day for most of the country. They did it here where I live. The American Legion here did hold a ceremony while construction workers continued to work on a new High School gymnasium the village can’t afford to build. Then you had to post a video depicting last years Memorial Day because for this year it was shut down. Gone without a whimper or a protest over. Please correct if I’m wrong on that point.

16. hilton33 says:

A bunch of band students live on my street. At three o-clock they started playing Taps, every time I hear it I turn all emotional. So here I am planting tomatoes, with tears welling up in my eyes and a lump in my throat.

17. hilton33 says:

18. hilton33 says:

19. Gracie Garcia says:

Prayers for all our Veterans and extra prayers for the recent generation since 1990, dealing with severe PTSD from multiple deployments in Afghanistan, Iraq, and many places of which we the general public will never know.
    Prayers for all who help our Veterans with injuries visible and invisible.
    To all who wear or have worn the uniform – please know that untold millions of Americans think of you everyday and always appreciate and thank you and your families for the difficulties you endure.