The Fifth Sunday of Lent

Gospel Jn 11:1-45

Now a man was ill, Lazarus from Bethany,
the village of Mary and her sister Martha.
Mary was the one who had anointed the Lord with perfumed oil
and dried his feet with her hair;
it was her brother Lazarus who was ill.

So the sisters sent word to him saying,
“Master, the one you love is ill.”
hen Jesus heard this he said,
“This illness is not to end in death,
but is for the glory of God,
that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”
Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.
So when he heard that he was ill,
he remained for two days in the place where he was.
Then after this he said to his disciples,
“Let us go back to Judea.”
The disciples said to him,
“Rabbi, the Jews were just trying to stone you,
and you want to go back there?”
Jesus answered,
“Are there not twelve hours in a day?
If one walks during the day, he does not stumble,
because he sees the light of this world.
But if one walks at night, he stumbles,
because the light is not in him.”
He said this, and then told them,
“Our friend Lazarus is asleep,
but I am going to awaken him.”
So the disciples said to him,
“Master, if he is asleep, he will be saved.”
But Jesus was talking about his death,
while they thought that he meant ordinary sleep.
So then Jesus said to them clearly,
“Lazarus has died.
And I am glad for you that I was not there,
that you may believe.
Let us go to him.”
So Thomas, called Didymus, said to his fellow disciples,
“Let us also go to die with him.”

When Jesus arrived, he found that Lazarus
had already been in the tomb for four days.
Now Bethany was near Jerusalem, only about two miles away.
And many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary
to comfort them about their brother.
When Martha heard that Jesus was coming,
she went to meet him;
but Mary sat at home.
Martha said to Jesus,
“Lord, if you had been here,
my brother would not have died.
But even now I know that whatever you ask of God,
God will give you.”
Jesus said to her,

“Your brother will rise.”
Martha said to him,
“I know he will rise,
in the resurrection on the last day.”
Jesus told her,
“I am the resurrection and the life;
whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live,
and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die.
Do you believe this?”
She said to him, “Yes, Lord.
I have come to believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God,
the one who is coming into the world.”

When she had said this,
she went and called her sister Mary secretly, saying,
“The teacher is here and is asking for you.”
As soon as she heard this,
she rose quickly and went to him.
For Jesus had not yet come into the village,
but was still where Martha had met him.
So when the Jews who were with her in the house comforting her
saw Mary get up quickly and go out,
they followed her,
presuming that she was going to the tomb to weep there.
When Mary came to where Jesus was and saw him,
she fell at his feet and said to him,
“Lord, if you had been here,
my brother would not have died.”
When Jesus saw her weeping and the Jews who had come with her weeping,
he became perturbed and deeply troubled, and said,
“Where have you laid him?”
They said to him, “Sir, come and see.”
And Jesus wept.
So the Jews said, “See how he loved him.”
But some of them said,
“Could not the one who opened the eyes of the blind man
have done something so that this man would not have died?”

So Jesus, perturbed again, came to the tomb.
It was a cave, and a stone lay across it.
Jesus said, “Take away the stone.”
Martha, the dead man’s sister, said to him,
“Lord, by now there will be a stench;
he has been dead for four days.”
Jesus said to her,
“Did I not tell you that if you believe
you will see the glory of God?”
So they took away the stone.
And Jesus raised his eyes and said,

“Father, I thank you for hearing me.
I know that you always hear me;
but because of the crowd here I have said this,
that they may believe that you sent me.”
And when he had said this,
He cried out in a loud voice,
“Lazarus, come out!”
The dead man came out,
tied hand and foot with burial bands,
and his face was wrapped in a cloth.
So Jesus said to them,
“Untie him and let him go.”

Now many of the Jews who had come to Mary
and seen what he had done began to believe in him.

Or
Jn 11:3-7, 17, 20-27, 33b-45

The sisters of Lazarus sent word to Jesus, saying,
“Master, the one you love is ill.”
When Jesus heard this he said,
“This illness is not to end in death,
but is for the glory of God,
that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”
Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.
So when he heard that he was ill,
he remained for two days in the place where he was.
Then after this he said to his disciples,
+Let us go back to Judea.”

When Jesus arrived, he found that Lazarus
had already been in the tomb for four days.
When Martha heard that Jesus was coming,
she went to meet him;
but Mary sat at home.
Martha said to Jesus,
“Lord, if you had been here,
my brother would not have died.
But even now I know that whatever you ask of God,
God will give you.”
Jesus said to her,
Your brother will rise.”
Martha said,
“I know he will rise,
in the resurrection on the last day.”
Jesus told her,
“I am the resurrection and the life;
whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live,
and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die.
Do you believe this?”
She said to him, “Yes, Lord.
I have come to believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God,
the one who is coming into the world.”

He became perturbed and deeply troubled, and said,
“Where have you laid him?”
They said to him, “Sir, come and see.”
And Jesus wept.
So the Jews said, “See how he loved him.”
But some of them said,
“Could not the one who opened the eyes of the blind man
have done something so that this man would not have died?”

So Jesus, perturbed again, came to the tomb.
It was a cave, and a stone lay across it.
Jesus said, “Take away the stone.”
Martha, the dead man’s sister, said to him,
“Lord, by now there will be a stench;
he has been dead for four days.”
Jesus said to her,
“Did I not tell you that if you believe
you will see the glory of God?”
So they took away the stone.
And Jesus raised his eyes and said,
“Father, I thank you for hearing me.
I know that you always hear me;
but because of the crowd here I have said this,
that they may believe that you sent me.”
And when he had said this,
He cried out in a loud voice,
“Lazarus, come out!”
The dead man came out,
tied hand and foot with burial bands,
and his face was wrapped in a cloth.
So Jesus said to them,
“Untie him and let him go.”

Now many of the Jews who had come to Mary
and seen what he had done began to believe in him.

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Religion, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to The Fifth Sunday of Lent

1. freepetta says:

In Jesus Name. Amen 🙏

2. WSB says:

Bless you, Menagerie.

We cannot go to church this year in New York.

However, we will be able to pray with all who want to.

I know the First Presbyterian Church of Williamsburg has a simulcast, as does my church across from Trump Tower, the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church in NYC!

All virtual!

May God bless all of you, for Jesus has risen!

3. A2 says:

Fifth Sunday of Lent

First reading:

Ezekiel 37:12-14 King James Version (KJV)

12 Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel.

13 And ye shall know that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought you up out of your graves,

14 And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the Lord have spoken it, and performed it, saith the Lord.

Responsorial Psalm:
    Psalm 130:1-8

Hope in the LORD’s Redemption

130 1 Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O Lord. 2 Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications. 3 If thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? 4 But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.

5 I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. 6 My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch [1] for the morning. 7 Let Israel hope in the Lord: for with the Lord there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption. 8 And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

Second Reading:

Romans 8:8-11 King James Version (KJV)

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Then the Gospel of John.

De Profundis (Psalm 130)

May the Lord bless you

• highlander says:

After A2’s offering this morning opened my prayer book—–straight to, would you believe….yes! because no such thing as an accident or coincidence) :
      “God of grace and God of glory, on thy people pour thy power;
      crown thine ancient Church’s story; bring her bud to glorious flower.
      Grant us wisdom, grant us courage, for the facing of this hour, for the facing of this hour.

Lo! the hosts of evil round us scorn thy Christ, assail his ways!
      From the fears that long have bound us free our hearts to faith and praise:
      Grant us wisdom, grant us courage for the living of these days, for the living of these days.

Cure thy children’s warring madness, bend our pride to thy control’

• highlander says:

(hit the wrong key.] Continuing here:
        “Cure thy children’s warring madness, bend our pride to thy control
        [—THAT ONE IN BOLD AND ALL CAPS……] —-[and repeated fervently…. several times…..]
        —“shame our wanton selfish gladness, rich in things and poor in soul.
        Grant us wisdom, grant us courage, lest we miss thy kingdom’s goal, lest we miss thy
        kingdom’s goal.”

“Save us from weak resignation to the evils we deplore;
        let the gift of thy salvation be our glory evermore.
        Grant us wisdom, grant us courage, serving thee whom we adore, serving thee whom we
        adore.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        …..How absolutely perfect for the times we are in. God finally [FINALLY] has our attention after we have spent ages wandering around in greener (or not-so-green) pastures not paying Him any attention or mind……Great time and occasion to re-orient our priorities and come on back…and once again sit at His feet……seek and listen to HIS wisdom.

4. Johnny Bravo says:

Hallelujah Jesus is Lord and Master

5. Gary Lacey says:

“”whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live,
    and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die.””
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah…AMEN

6. Arpad Deli says:

“Blessed is he who has not seen and yet Believes!!!!!!!!!”
    Somewhere, not far away Jesus also spoke those words…
    “‘Nuff Said!!!!!!!!!”
    skybill

7. amwick says:

Ty Menagerie.

and Jesus wept.

So did I.

This is a beautiful story of hope,,, we need that now.

8. Hallelujah, everyone! Lord Bless ALL Our patriots here.. (and everywhere in our world!)..

9. TradeBait says:

… Even so, come, Lord Jesus. Rev. 22:20

10. Conservative_302 says:

During this virus, I feel my sister was blessed by a miracle from God. She was born with something called Turners Syndrome. She gets seriously sick all the time, goes in and out of the hospital on a regular basis, and takes tons of medicine daily to stay alive. When this virus hit, she was already in the ICU battling sepsis. She was the first person tested in TX for this virus when the testing kits weren’t readily available because her great doctor demanded a test for her. Corona virus would probably kill my sister. Her test was negative, and she is recovering from sepsis. In May, she can retire from her job with a pension. She gets a call from her boss the day after she came home from the hospital informing her she is getting laid off that week. We all worried about her pension, but God did not disappoint. He never does. She met her boss, they are laying her off, she will get her regular pay between now and May, and she will get her pension. I can’t tell you how grateful I am, we all are, to God for everything: her being safe in the ICU when the virus broke even though she was battling sepsis, her being laid off early because being so sickly it was always hard for her to work, time at home to finish her sepsis recovery and able to stay at home and not risk getting the virus, two months pay, and her pension. I was not always close to God, but now that I am and daily keep the line of communication open with him, his glory continues to pour over me and my beloved sister in this example. God is the way. He’s the only way. I am so grateful to him.

• MamaTried says:

“Great is thy faithfulness…morning by morning new mercies I see. All I have needed thy hand hath provided. Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.”

I am happy the Lord has used your sister’s circumstance like he did with Lazarus. To glorify the Lord!

Everything I have read here today has blessed my hungry soul.

“We are an Easter people & Hallelujah is our song!”

• joshashland says:

Prayers and some joy for your sister’s recovery,

11. scrap1ron says:

Lent comes before Resurrection. How apropos that we find ourselves in this season and place of repentance. As a country we need a change of direction. President Trump is God’s vessel to give voice to that change. It is up to us, in our own way, to heed that call. We need to fear God, and fear nothing else.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for the sake of His name. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

• 4EDouglas says:

In my Aerial firefighting days the 23rd was always part of my Prayer life.

• TonyE says:

Wow… we’ve been so busy fighting the propaganda that I have not paid attention to the time of the year… Easter day is on April 12th, could be quite apropos except for the Gohmorras ( NYC,SF, West Hollywood ). Resurrection would be very, very timely as we extract ourselves from this episode.

Trump choosing Easter Day to see full churches might just turn out to be incredibly clairvoyant. Maybe they ought to have a Mass from the National Cathedral and show it live on TV. (OK, for my friends who doeth Protest a wee bit too much on these things, allow my own beliefs…. IMHO the Roman Catholic Pomp and Circumstance are liikely what will be needed here. Ignore The Jesuit in Rome. ) 😉

On an aside, quinine was put into tonic water to help with malaria. How about if someone were to make tonic water with chloroquine phosphate too?

Now, I don’t cotton much for gin -long story… But vodka tonics might just be what we need to have during cocktail hour for the next three weeks.

Let me just say… Trump 2020 and Thank God The Beast didn’t steal the ’16 election.

Now I’m waiting for Easter 2020. Let’s pray for that Day that it will be a true Resurrection.

12. DJ Snyder says:

Our God is not a God of the dead, but of the living. Praise Jesus! 🙏

13. kurt72 says:

This is a great site for online Bible study from basic to seminary level. Free!

14. FofBW says:

Make America Holy Again………then the World!!

15. Gary says:

I needed that today.

16. Alleycats says:

Thank you Menagerie. I needed this as well.
    Praise God, and may He Bless this magnificent Treehouse.

17. CrewDog says:

I was sent the below from a Protestant friend of mine. This is a video made by a young preacher/pastor with a message for Pres. Trump and the rest of US.
    I think it would be great-n-good if Trump (US) takes his advice and declares a National Day of Repentance. Besides making The Usual Suspects’ heads exploded it will, I sincerely believe, do great good on ALL Fronts!
    It definitely fits well into what we Catholics believe in the Lenten Repentance Theme. We live in “Strange Times” and should be looking for His Message… wherever!

This video is well worth watching!

2 Chronicles 7:14
    “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”

GOD SAVE THE REPUBLIC!

• Lev25v10 says:

Some in the “church” stop at pray and jump to forgiving and healing… and leave out seeking God’s face and turning from our wicked ways…

God have mercy on us. We are a nation that kills a million babies each year, we turned our back on the traditional family and we care more for “mother” earth than the God who made heaven and earth.

• P says:

CrewDog:

Thank you so much for posting this video and scripture! Please share your comment and video with Open Thread and with our President at whitehouse.gov/contact.

God is doing everything He can to get our attention in these last days. Repent means to CHANGE YOUR MIND. He loves us so much and doesn’t want anyone to perish….not anyone!

John 3:16-18
      16 For God so loveth the world, that He hath given His Only Begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not His Son into the world, that He should condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

18 He that believeth in Him, is not condemned: but he that believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the Name of that Only Begotten Son of God.

Acts 2: 21 And it shall be, that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord, shall be saved.

BELIEVE HIM!

18. P says:

I posted this under Open Thread but wanted to share under this thread also.

Our heavenly Father is so good. Look how He has drawn us together into our homes, bringing students home from colleges, and giving us lots of time to study in His Word and learn of Him during this quarantine.

And how fitting that this available study occurred during this very season of remembrance and celebration of His Only Begotten Son, our Saviour and High Priest forever. I hope everyone takes a little bit of time to listen to this Bible Study on the Book of Hebrews. You will truly be blessed in Him!

BELIEVE HIM. He loves us all so much!

Submitted in His love. : )

Num 6:24-26

19. Wethal says:

One of the most interesting sermons I ever heard on this passage was the suggestion that to help the believers and non-believers alike to accept Christ’s resurrection, he had a “dry run” with Lazarus. If Christ could raise someone who had been dead for three days, then why couldn’t he do it himself?

20. Black Irish Rose says:

Isn’t it nice to believe in a God who, as a man and as the greatest preacher there ever was, never performed a funeral? I think Jesus hated funerals, which may be the reason that his first recorded miracle was turning water into wine JUST TO KEEP THE (wedding) PARTY GOING. (Hat tip to Christian comedian Mark Lowry)

21. How blessed are so many of us to have lived through a time of relative peace and then a wicked plunge and now a surge toward a more hope filled and life affirming moral truth

22. Sepp says:

Today is the Fourth Sunday of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

If anyone is interested, there are a few posts on the Open Thread about this Fourth Sunday, on which Saint John of the Ladder is commemorated.

23. wanthetruth says:

Wondering why you added “and” to John 11:35 in both your quotes from the Bible. It is only “Jesus wept” in any version I can see. Is there a reason? Is it that way in the version you use?

24. Beverly says:

Lazarus being raised from the dead: from The Greatest Story Ever Told.