Many people suspected this would eventually happen, including us.  Follow the sequencing here; watch the natural progression of the authoritarian state. This is important.

First LA Mayor Eric Garcetti released 1,700 inmates.  Then the LA Sheriff tried to shut down all gun stores. Next, Garcetti appointed neighborhood monitors and threatened to shut down electricity and water services to non-compliant citizens.  In his most recent action, the mayor admits to using Big Tech to monitor the location of residents and track their coronavirus compliance.

During an interview with Chris Cuomo [segment @14:19 to 14:28] Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti discussing the ‘stay-at-home’ order says (emphasis mine):

…”but this has been marvelously embraced by 99.9 percent of people; we see it in the traffic data, we see it in the cell phone data; but we’re going to hunt down that last point-one percent and say: ‘you’ve gotta get inside, you gotta cut it out, and you gotta distance”…

Notice how flippant and easily the totalitarian language rolls from the tongue?

Comrade citizens, we have been warning everyone about the use of their hand-held transponder (cell phone) during national and local emergencies.  As the state attempts to enforce its dictates, the totalitarians will increasingly use their allies in Big Tech to enforce the rules.  Here’s the video:

…”The easiest way to avoid a visit” from the LA storm-troopers “is to follow the rules”… “Your behavior can save a life” Garcetti said, “And that life could be yours.”… (link)

Funny how L.A. Antifa just shrug it off…  Meh, lets get through this COVID-19 lockdown thingy so we can go back to protesting fascist Trump.  Wait, what?

March 21st:

This entry was posted in 4th Amendment, 6th Amendment, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Communist, Decepticons, Deep State, Dem Hypocrisy, Fabian Socialists - Modern Progressives, media bias, Occupy Type Moonbats, Police action, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Socialist, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

396 Responses to L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti Admits Using Cell Phone Tracking to Monitor Coronavirus Compliance…

1. littleanniefannie says:

Would this be the same big tech unwilling to unlock the phones of terrorists who committed suicide after their acts of terrorism? They should be locked up too!
    Maybe I missed it, did California make being outside a capital offense?

2. X XYZ says:

I don’t own a cell phone. I never have, and never will.
    I do have a wireless phone that provides service for my house. It’s obvious where the house is located. Can’t make it invisible. But the house doesn’t have legs – or wheels.

If you own a cell phone there is a very simple solution. Leave the damn thing home.
    Betcha can’t…
    (grin)

• NCPatrick says:

I don’t have one either, X, and never have. Nothing more insulting than attending a lunch meeting with others and nobody is talking. They all have their eyes glued to their stupid phones. Hey I have an answering machine on home phone. You can call me and leave word to call back if you wish. I’m glad that I was never interested in this compulsion of being on the phone day and night.

• jeffsn4 says:

And if you do take it with you at least cover up the lenses.

• Squidly says:

I occasionally strap mine to my dog and let him run around our very large backyard chasing rabbits .. I wonder what Google thinks of that data? .. hahahaha!

• jaycee says:

i finally got a smart phone about 4 years ago. honestly. this wont be our problem. its gonna be the younger generations problem. so i dont really care. if im lucky i got 35 years left. i think its gonna get real real real ugly bout then, and ill either be gone, or circling the drain.

• Dixie says:

I’m probably circling the drain now and I RESENT the fact that this leftist crap is taking a big bite outta my life. I’d rather take my chances and have free will to go where I please.

• X XYZ says:

I’m on the wrong side of 60, and I guess you are too. My wife has a smart phone. She’s addicted to it, as most people are.

True story: A few years ago, one of her earlier models of Samsung phone, the one with the bad battery problem, heated up and almost caught fire in her handbag. I told her, take the damn thing, pack it up, and send it back. Put it in the mail and let USPS deal with it when it catches fire. We don’t know what happened to it.

Maybe that’s why USPS needs a bailout?

• Big Jake says:

No, I can’t. Primarily because my income is 100% tied to it at the moment. They’re amazing tools. When the day comes I have to worry about being tracked I’ll take the appropriate precautions. For now this thing helps me work so I can pay taxes on behalf of all the freeloaders. Atlas hasn’t shrugged quite yet…

• X XYZ says:

I understand. If you are in a land based office all day with a desktop computer, you don’t need a smart phone. If you are on the road with someone pushing your buttons to call them back immediately, you probably do.

Different strokes for different folks.

3. The video above with Cuomo & the Mayor is only 1 sec long, even when U go to the youtube page?

4. Bendix says:

A remember seeing a demonstration of this wonderful new police power on the evening news. The thing that was almost funny, is that as the police employed their wonderful new technology to stop a speeding vehicle, a magical exit lane appeared for the vehicle to slow down and safely come to a halt in.
    So, if you maybe decide to make an unauthorized vehicle trip, the police would never use this to stop you, right?

5. hugofitch1 says:

Good luck finding that Cuomo clip on YouTube now.

6. X XYZ says:

IMO, the cell phone is THE worst invention of the 20th century. The “smart” phone is being used more as a poor man’s computer than as a phone. The entertainment factor makes it irresistible.

We now have more communication devices than ever – and less communication than ever. Funny how that goes.

We now have more spying on each other than ever, too. Welcome to Brave New World.

• jeffsn4 says:

The Internet itself has done even more damage and without it there would be no “smartphones” to begin with.

• X XYZ says:

Technology is a double-edged sword. Similarly, a tool can also be used as a weapon.

It’s hard to live without any telephone. In most places it’s also hard to live without a car. It’s REALLY hard to live without any electricity. It’s hard to live without the benefit of having any internet access.

I’m no Luddite. I have a home based telephone, despite it being cellular.. I have a computer (with a modem and crappy, expensive cable service from a government regulated monopoly). And I have several old cars, all much older models.

I need a cell phone “like a fish needs a bicycle”.

• Chieftain says:

The internet broke the MSM monopoly. That has been a big blow for freedom.

• oldumb says:

I could be a big blow for freedom, but in reality we allow it to be a big blow for conformity AND division and we have freely given up our privacy. We are losing freedom.

• Mist'ears Mom says:

Yep-why should a cell phone cost $1000? Think about that…

• X XYZ says:

The “phone” is “free” when you sign a contract with the network carrier, which generates a bill of at least $100 per month to you, if you use that “smart” phone frugally. But most people use their “phone” liberally, to entertain themselves with it. And that’s where the real money is. It’s not in the hardware – it’s in the service connection.

7. publilius syrus2 says:

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?… The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin’s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If…if…We didn’t love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation…. We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
    ― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn , The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

• American Heritage says:

The capability for tracking people and knowing everything they do at any time, is the perfect police state technology. It’s an absolute threat to life and liberty. The ideological, globalist totalitarians, both foreign and domestic, now threatening the survival of our Constitutional republic will expand their current spying/surveillance, unless some breakthrough in blocking technology becomes available to every individual. Subjugating people and whole populations is an inherent human urge that is irresistible to some, and they will always use technological advances to pursue absolute power over their fellow man.

8. James W Crawford says:

We all need to learn from that Star Trek episode when Word takes off his communicator before beaming over to the Klingon ship to kill Galron the dictator. Leave your cellphone at home.

• Jeff says:

Didn’t matter. They still knew exactly where he was.
      By the way, it was Duras he killed, not Gowron. Duras murdered Worf’s wife. Gowron came much later, while Worf was assigned to Deep Space Nine. Gowron’s obsessive quest for glory blinded him to the fact that his actions put the Klingon Empire at risk of extinction, and so he had to be eliminated.
      “It is a good day to die, Duras. And the day is not yet over.”

9. grrizzly says:

A WSJ article published today acknowledges this practice.

“Government Tracking How People Move Around in Coronavirus Pandemic”
    “Government officials across the U.S. are using location data from millions of cellphones in a bid to better understand the movements of Americans during the coronavirus pandemic and how they may be affecting the spread of the disease.”

The article is written by Byron Tau who routinely authors deep-state-related pieces in WSJ.

10. The Defiant One says:

Garcetti has made LA worse under his tenure. He can’t even protect the people of LA he took an oath to protect from rampant Homeless Psychos, so now he’s taking a play from Orwell’s 1984?

11. Mac says:

For those of you worried about cell phone tracking, two words; burner phone. Use one which is not registered in your name and only use it outside your residence.

But, the simplest solution to curbing the spread of this virus, is makking the mandatory use of surgical masks mandatory, in public,

Masking can be very effective against the spread of COVID. The problem is that society is going about using masks backwards.

So far, it appears that the main vector for spread of the COVID virus is through particulate or aerosol means. This is essentially the virus hitching a ride on liquid droplets expelled by the infected person. These droplets, while exceptionally small, can be trapped by a properly constructed surgical mask.

Now, in order for the mask, which is being worn by an individual, to protect that individual, it must be tightly form fitting. And, as the virus can conceivably enter through tear ducts, as well, the eyes have to be protected in the same way. So, for an individual to protect him or herself, from infection using a mask, is not going to work very well.

However, rather than ordering people to leave their businesses and be incarcerated in their homes, it would be much simpler to provide inexpensive cloth surgical masks to the population and require that they be worn in public. A multi-layer cloth mask will trap most of the particulates and, if periodically washed and sprayed with a disinfectant effective against some viruses before each use outside the home, will kill most of the infectious viruses. If this is combined with sequestering members of the extremely at-risk population, such as nursing home patients, it should all but stop the spread of the virus.

How to obtain such masks? Make them. Call up Mike Lindell. Have him stop making pillows for awhile. He can cut up some of his Giza Sheets and sew the fabric into multi-layer masks, which could be sold very cheaply [a couple of dollars], especially if a government subsidy were involved. This simple suggestion would allow the economy to chug right along, while still protecting people. And, an order requiring protective equipment, such as masks, would be a whole lot more constitutional than incarcerating healthy people in their homes. It is interesting that none of our brilliant medical professionals have suggested that, isn’t it?

• Wizkid2be says:

Agreed – what is wrong with our government… O I NO they are greedy to take our freedom away and police us like Big Brother. It just would be no fun at all if they adopted the simple and effective solution you pose in your post. It is just like one day they take away our freedom, cause us to lose our jobs, take our income away and tell us masks are ineffective protection against this virus. This has to be stopped! Take Care

• Mike Lindell has already volunteered to make facial masks at his factory. He is a great American and a Trump supporter. Thank you, Mike! Great minds must think alike. Thank you, Mac!

• Dixie says:

As far as I’m concerned, you win the internet with your comment today. Common sense tops communist tactics any day.

Why is it that every time I see coronavirus, I replace it with carnivorous. IMO, It HAS become an animal eat animal world.

• Eileen McRae says:

Oh, my, this is beginning to resemble the burka worn by many women in Middle Eastern countries!

• Mac says:

Try to keep your head in the game, here.. This is more akin to the Japanese custom of people wearing masks when they are ill, so as not to infect others. The option is what you see now. Which is worse?

Now, about government mandated protective gear. Drive a car and you have to wear a seat belt. Ride a motorcycle and many states require a helmet and eye protection. Want to leave your house, you have to WEAR clothing. So, what is the big deal about wearing a mask during a declared emergency regarding an outbreak of a highly infection disease? If properly crafted the law would only be relevant during a declared emergency. And, it could be repealed through citizen pressure on their legislators.

12. platoriusnepos says:

Now we know how the liberals will react, exactly as we feared. Time to make new laws (in 2021) restricting such actions especially during a crisis. The 2020 election is VERY important.

13. AnotherView says:

The CDC is already tracking us. Trump approved it.

14. dawndoe says:

Sundance, the video is only 1 second.

15. waawash says:

When it comes to protecting unfettered liberty in America; there’s talking the path, and there’s walking the path. Creepy fascist Garcetti will run over the talkers…

16. Jeff says:

I feel like I may be the only one on this island, but frankly, I don’t give a damn if they track me. I’m not going to live my life looking over my shoulder, wondering if anyone is watching me. What the hell are they going to see? One old man, going to the store, going to work, getting something to eat, and occasionally just taking the old jalopy out for a spin. If that’s what they want to watch, then TYA, as the saying goes. Besides, the camera network is up and running, with license plate recognition technology fully enabled, and I don’t doubt that face recognition is in there somewhere, too. You may have noticed the cameras at the Walmart exits. I make it a point to put my face right in the camera, wave, and say, “Hi, Mom!”
    The Surveillance State is here. It’s been here for years. I don’t sweat it. “Character is what you do when you think nobody is looking.” I live a righteous and clean life, and I have nothing to fear.
    “Stand tall and proud, and spit in their eye.”
    Now, I’m getting ready to take the old jalopy out for a spin. I hear Tyler, Texas has some beautiful rose gardens.

• Wergood2go says:

The Communists love sheeple. You will fit right into their plan.

• TreeClimber says:

I don’t care either. I know we’re living in a dystopian surveillance state. That is the price we pay to live in the digital age. I mean, I do care, but I’m also realist enough to realize that that’s how it’s going to be whether I wrap my phone in foil or leave it at home. Everyone here at the Treehouse already has their name on a list anyway.

I figure I’m drawing less attention to myself going along with it all – one of millions – than trying to avoid being seen and showing up as a little blank spot in the system. It’s harder to pick out detail in a crowd than it is to see an empty space.

I enjoy the convenience of the digital age. I like being able to talk to my friends states away. I like being able to read the Treehouse and see my governor’s EOs any time I want. I like having a quick, easily editable shopping list, I like having music at my fingertips to calm a fussy baby and I like being able to call and find my husband when we have to separate in the store. I like having a camera at my fingertips that returns instant photos, and I like being able to show them to my close friends and family immediately.

Big Brother will know everything about me already anyway, whether I want them to or not. I may as well enjoy the convenience, and disappear in the crowd, than paint a target on my back by defying something that, at the moment, isn’t hurting me. I’d rather wait until something actually happens and respond then, rather than already be sitting in the gulag when it all finally goes down.

• islandpalmtrees says:

This is not about you and I, this is about our grandchildren and the kind of lives they will have.

Surveillance State, will hurt them!

• Mist'ears Mom says:

It isn’t your trips to Walmart that they are tracking…they use everything (and I mean everything) they can get about you to manipulate and control you.

17. 2Goldens says:

Hello wonderful Treehouse people,
    I’ve been reading and enjoying the articles and comments here for years, though I haven’t joined in until today. I’d like to share a story from a relative that’s pretty relevant to this article.

Upon hearing the stay at home orders, our nephew’s good friend decided he didn’t want to be by himself, so he hopped on BART in SF to head over the bay to meet up with him. When the doors opened at the first stop, his phone lit up and vibrated with an alert saying, “Bob” Please return to: Bob’s home address. Once underway again, the screen went dark until arrival at the next stop when the doors again opened and his phone lit up with the same alert. This happened again and again at each subsequent stop completely frying his nerves. “They” were tracking him, called him by name, demanding he return to his home. Our nephew said “Bob” was actually shaking when he picked him up, very out of character for a climber with nerves of steel!

And this happened over a week ago when the stay home “suggestion” was first decreed and it wasn’t in SoCal. I wonder how long the powers that be have had this capability?

18. Bendix says:

Here’s a question? Remember Client Number 9, Eliot Spitzer? He was never charged with any crime. Why do we even know about his escapades?

• dwpender says:

The prevailing theory at the time was that Dick Grasso (former NYSE CEO) and Ken Langone (Home Depot founder and NYSE Board Chair) used old fashioned, fully legal surveillance to have PIs tail and seek human intelligence on Spitzer.

While NY AG, Spitzer had sued them for paying Grasso an allegedly excessive salary as NYSE (a non-profit) CEO. The case was clearly politically motivated. Spitzer lost in court.

IIRC Grasso and Langone “declined to comment” on claims they had Spitzer tailed.

19. islandpalmtrees says:

We have talked several times about not using your cell phones. Surveillance State, including the Google Search engine is becoming a big problem! In case, you don’t already know, all of your searches on the Google site go directly to the NSA database from Google.

*Note: the CIA funded Google, Google in turn funded CrowdStrike! So who do you think, told CrowdStrike what to say regarding the “Russia Hacking”?

****Note the following extract was done on an article by By AARON KLEIN28 Sep 2019 but several others can be found conveying the same message.****

“One of several themes is financing tied to Google, whose Google Capital led a $100 million funding drive that financed Crowdstrike. Google Capital, which now goes by the name of CapitalG, is an arm of Alphabet Inc., Google’s parent company. Eric Schmidt, the chairman of Alphabet, has been a staunch and active supporter of Hillary Clinton and is a longtime donor to the Democratic Party. ”

****Note the following is reported on a great number of sites, I have only presented two below****
    GOOGLE: Conceived, Funded and Directed By The CIA — Part II
    Why Google made the NSA
    by Nafeez Ahmed

So the very same senior CIA official and CIA-NSA contractor involved in providing the seed-funding for Google were simultaneously contemplating the role of data-mining for counter-terrorism purposes, and were developing ideas for tools actually advanced by DARPA.

20. publilius syrus2 says:

Seems like a good place to drop this in…

21. cheryl says:

And it continues through vaccinations and, if you think otherwise, then dammit, you’re just a conspiracy theorist! ID2020 and partners launch program to provide digital ID with vaccines

22. Bendix says:

We get told “more contagious” to justify the loss of freedom but I’m not seeing “more contagious”.

23. Bendix says:

Back when SARS was going to sweep through the country and kill everybody, this was reported in New York. One TV news station actually called it a confirmed case of SARS, rather than what it was, a suspected case:
    It ended up with the woman not having SARS. She stayed home for two weeks, with relatives, and everyone except the sick woman went about their business. Even with the killer SARS suspected, it wasn’t seemed necessary for the whole family to stay at home too.

24. Bob says:

I would Get a burner phone just to screw the LA mayor

25. islandpalmtrees says:

This is important —

The Surveillance State, will hurt them! And, you know it.

26. 335blues says:

So we will start leaving our cell phones at home so the communists cannot track us.
    Then they will demand we all get RFID chips injected so we cannot hide from them.
    This is who the marxist democrat party is. They demand our subservience,
    and they demand to be in charge. They demand that we live our lives
    the way they say we must.
    Or the DOJ/CIA/NSA/GOOGLE/FACEBOOK/TWITTER/etc will come after you.
    This is how it is done in communist china.

27. Kaco says:

I am concerned also because I’ve heard they can still track you, even with the phone turned off. Is that true? And some smart phone, you can’t remove the battery now.

28. davidsstones says:

Today 3/28/20 in dailymail.com Wuhan, China was reopened. People filled the streets. Beware public transport. You can’t leave your phone at home. It’s replacing ID cards; next, your license to drive a MC, a bike, a car. More importantly China has access to your medical records via your phone. Almost half of Americans want a nationalized health care system run by the fed. government. See the connection?

“But even with the decline in cases and loosening of restrictions, Wuhan authorities were taking few chances.
    Staff, some in full-body protective gear, and volunteers bustled around the railway station in the morning, setting out hand disinfectant and putting up signs reminding travellers they need a mobile-phone based health code to take public transport.”