Deep and compelling discussion between Victor Davis Hanson and Epoch Times’ Jan Jekielek about President Trump, his effectiveness, and an overall era of apoplexy amid the left as President Trump deconstructs the progressive agenda.

It’s an hour long interview that goes into a much more complex discussion; but it’s also well presented, explained and well worth the time to watch:

This entry was posted in 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment, 4th Amendment, 6th Amendment, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Deep State, Dem Hypocrisy, Donald Trump, Fabian Socialists - Modern Progressives, media bias, Nancy Pelosi, Occupy Type Moonbats, President Trump, propaganda, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

246 Responses to Victor Davis Hanson Looks At Big Picture: President Trump Undoing Progressive Agenda….

1. freepetta says:

The libs are going down!!

2. Hebo Sabe says:

I think that Victor has the historical view of Trump wrong. He will be seen as the anomaly that reset the world.

• I don’t know; Trump is a tragic hero and so there is always a sense of sadness for him and in him. He does have a certain percentage of people in this country who identify with his personality and “crudeness”, such as myself, and that would seem to counter some of what Hanson says.

But, still, when I think of Trump i think of King David….”he was not a perfect man, but God loved him….” He has enemies, as did David, who took another man’s wife (bad bad), but then they had a child “King Solomon” who is in the lineage of Jesus…it’s complex. People think Trump is a moron, but he is a very complex person…

Well, this is a great interview with much to think about…these Epoch Times Thought Leaders interviews are fantastic. Thanks to SD for posting.

• ALLAN CRAIN says:

In 2016 I told our Assistant Pastor that Donald Trump was imperfect not unlike King David and he told the truth. And being a liberal he couldn’t handle it.

• My Pastor has a similar problem. He can’t get past the “in your face” style of the president and his past indiscretions. I just keep reminding him that G-D has used many flawed people to accomplish his plan and chief among them Cyrus, Matthew, Ahab and David. He wants a (pardon the blasphemy) Romney like character to stand up to the evil from the left. I just point out that never the twain shall meet. Trump is the man for the current situation and he has the spine and hide to withstand the false arrows and criticism to break the PC log jam. No one on the political landscape could, IMHO, be the happy warrior that PDJT is. Not a One!

• Bendix says:

Someone told me that’s how we can know he is from God, the fact that it is so unlikely that DONALD TRUMP is our man.
            I still can hardly believe it.

• Yep, surprise! Never would have guessed a multimillionaire businessman from NY with a huge ego and rather “crude” personality was exactly what God was looking for to save us from ourselves;

• cdquarles says:

Remember the story of Moses? Recall what Moses did? Recall King Nebuccanezzer? The Bible is filed with stories of He That Is using flawed humans for his purposes. The only perfect one, Jesus, had to be crucified with two very flawed humans flanking Him.

• American Heritage says:

Crudeness is a matter of style; telling the unvarnished truth, in whatever manner, is substance. Obama and the other swamp critters are “style.” Trump is substance, and a blessed relief from the empty suit “stylists” who hide the deep and festering rot they represent.

• Tell your pastor that, unlike Jesus Christ, we are all flawed himself included. Your pastor and people like him are the reason many people cannot stand to go to church because they are full of holier than thou types who don’t want to sully themselves being near flawed people. They want to see a church full of Romneys…quiet pious types.

• dorothea brooke says:

Trump has dominated the worlds of real estate, entertainment, and politics. He has smart and wonderful children. I seriously think that he portrays Christian values a lot more than people who are wimpy and cowardly and lazy. The Lord knows his heart. Trump is such a blessing…I always think of him as being similar to Cyrus in Isaiah.

• amjean says:

I love your beautiful sentiment about President Trump.

Thank you for not saying the petty things people attribute to President
          Trump (he is crude, he is divorced, etc.) before giving him faint or otherwise praise.

• NYSE says:

Yes, wonderful post. Trumps life is there for anyone to see. And with all the digging, the6 find nothing but an honest man with a beautiful family

• lydia00 says:

I think calling them Christian values misses the larger point and you are desperately trying to force a square into a round hole. Not everyone agrees on what are Christian values. Especially when it comes to our governing structure. There are a lot of Christians who believe Jesus was a socialist.

We need for our presidents to adhere as closely as possible to the Constitution. That should be our focus. That is what we rally around. Not OT characters, etc.

I honestly wish Christians would stop trying to fit into their worlsview mold. It’s silly.

• GB Bari says:

You have to have been put into a seminary at the age of 2 to be from Queens NYC and NOT grow up with a very street-wise, realistic, down to earth worldview that comes with a salty vocabulary and touch, cocky persona. Wealthy parents or not.

I get so tired of reading or hearing people who appear to feel compelled to say something about the man’s language. “Crudeness”?

It may be that an awful lot of people have never known New Yorkers (city and borough folks, not upstaters) very closely. I have had the good pleasure to know a few, a few professionals; others “blue collar”; both men and women. They think and talk a lot like the President. Confident, smart, intelligent, sometimes quite blunt and earthy, but always unafraid, using independent thinking.

Get over it people. It’s the Lying Left who try to make everyone defensive about liking the President who uses blunt direct language. I find his language most refreshing. It leaves little doubt what he thinks, likes or dislikes. Far better than those slimy fake politicians who smile at your face and then stab you in the back.

Just MHO.

• Doug Amos says:

What we all ignore about President Trump is the incredible danger he exposes himself and the people he loves to every hour of every day. And, can anyone deny that there is no self-interest whatsoever; he truly does dedicate himself to making America a better place for everyone, no strings attached; that is his agenda.

• Linda K. says:

I agree. He reminds me of my father-in-law, who grew up and lived his life in Northern Jersey, 20 miles from New York City, and was in real estate! What I don’t get, is why New Yorkers don’t “get” President Trump. He is their guy, their hometown boy made good, all the way..

• MTeresa says:

I think there are a lot of “closet” New York Trump supporters. It’s just not revealed at cocktail parties.

• Ron Jaeger says:

I was in Jersey City 2 weeks ago and I talked to a union plumber who was working on a high rise next door. I am from Redding Ca. and a 35-year member of the Carpenters union . I asked about the attitude about Trump among the local blue-collar folks. He was very supportive of Trump and he said a LOT of the locals were supporters as well. Folks just did not flaunt it. I rode the subways around Manhatten and I did not see any hats etc. either for or against any particular political candidate. Out west, I notice more bumper stickers and some hats, etc.. He called out the liberals as socialists – period. He was really surprised when I told him I was the same as him. Hard Core Trumpet from Calif. no less. It was a good feeling when I walked away.

• California Joe says:

Most of the white blue collar people who lived in the five boroughs of New York City have moved to the suburbs. The city is full of third world immigrants now. Welfare, free housing and medical and free lawyers when they get arrested!

• GB Bari says:

Remember that President Trump was revered by the Media before he suggested that Ozero had a citizenship problem via a missing valid birth certificate. He WAS liked by a lot of New Yorkers before he dared question their socialist idol. Then, he did The indefensible: he ran as a Republican against another New York idol, Shrillary. So it isn’t the man they hate; it’s the Republican who challenges and is showing their Progressive belief system to be fraudulent.

• Phil says:

a prophet is without honor in his own town… Mathew 13:57

• Incisor says:

They get him. I can assure you that if he was a Democrat, their love would be boundless.

• shirley49 says:

My brother in law says he will vote for Trump but does not like the way he talks. I reminded him about the last smooth talking scum Obama and most of the previous Presidents incl. Republicans who made promises and were the so called elite who participated in destroying our Country while scamming tax payer dollars because they never have enough. They also pandered to the media, mostly Republicans because the media are part of the Dem party. I used to scream at Bush to defend himself while the scum media crucified him ie: the New Orleans hurricane. Love it that Trump fights back and calls them out.

• Trump doesn’t need elocution training. You only need to watch some 1980’s video of Trump interviews, or Congressional testimony, to know Trump can be as polished as he wants to be, or as the situation and audience dictates. I believe he is more comfortable talking like Joe Six-pack than like the late William Buckley. Either way, I could care less. What matters is results, and he delivers.

That be said, nothing was more excruciating than hearing Hillary Clinton try to talk like a southerner, or worse, like an uneducated Black. It always came across as fake, because it was.

As for Obama, take away the teleprompter, and he was the stuttering fraud we all suspected of a man who had zero accomplishments prior to being elected to public office.

• coltlending says:

I hear people say that POTUS is crude or offensive a lot.

My response, “So what? Nobody is perfect.

In spite of what you might think of the man, and in spite of grenades being thrown in his path to do more, look at your 401K, look at the unemployment rate, look at how he’s handled the chaos at the Border and look at how he’s handled China’s predatory trade practices that have sucked the wealth out of our country building China in to the country it is, building schools, roads, bridges and military at the expense of our country intrafructure and employment.

So maybe in some senses he’s seen or is as an offensive SOB.

What’s the adage, well he’s are SOB now.

It’s at the point we need one to right things.

I say give ‘em hell Team Trump.

And, if you don’t see his love for his family & the USA, you’re not paying attention and not being evenhanded.

You’re being brainwashed by a media that has been complicit in pushing the nothingburger which was the Russian collusion delusion and spying on an American citizen.

You have heard or read about the fact the FBI, CIA and DOJ have for years surveilled POTUS as a citizen, candidate and president-elect, with no LEGITIMATE evidence right? You’ve heard or read exculpatory evidence was held back on MULTIPLE occasions right?

Read the OIG Report yourself. Don’t take someone else’s word for what it says.

It’s not tin-foil cap stuff to say he’s the victim of a coup.

If the same thing were done to Obama or a Democrat, people would be literally and figuratively hung for it.

Where’s the even handedness??

I bet you’d be angry after three years of this.”

Generally the response is crickets.

A year ago, I’d here from them, “Your a Fox News nut”

But at the outset I make it clear I don’t watch FOX or any TV. I read as much as I can.

I ask them, “Have you ever heard of Fight Club?

What’s the first rule of Fight Club?”

Most of the time I get the response, “You don’t talk about Fight Club.”

Then I tell them, “Well I’m going to talk to you about Right Club, The Last Refuge. Look it up.

Google it on the internet, read it and the comments within it with an open mind, then think about it and then —talk about it.”

I tell them I got skin in this game because to a large extent I was put out of business because of the trade polices of the Trump Administration, particularly Trade with China.

While I personally did not sell to China, China purchased a major amount of what I traded in.

When China backed off buying many things, one of which I traded, the supply went up and the value cratered, effectively putting me out of business after 20+ years trading under my own name.

At my age, even in this economy jobs are scarce so I’m driving for rideshare.

It’s a real grind. Not much left after, State, FICA, Federal and Unemployment taxes.

I got skin in this.

I tell people I’m OK with it! And I am!!

I saw it coming when Tarrifs were first discussed.

I’m OK with it because it is the RIGHT thing to do for the USA, after 40+ years of our jobs being lost and the USA’s purchasing power being given away for nothing except for the filling of the pockets of politicians and and global monopolies.

I don’t care if POTUS is offensive and sometimes says boneheaded things that tee it up for the Bolsheviks, Media and Deep State to drive at him.

Net, net he’s the best thing that I’ve ever seen happen to this country and for the young people.

I’m proud to say I voted for him and I was absolutely certain from the very beginning he would be POTUS. There was no doubt.

Based on performance up to now, I’d vote for POTUS for a third term if it were possible.

• GB Bari says:

Agree with everything except that President Trump is crude or offensive. He is neither by today’s standards. And any attempt to judge him by standards other than those held by the majority of contemporary people is, IMHO, blatantly disingenuous.

He is blunt and direct. THAT is what gets under the Lefts thin skin. So they constantly attack the Presidents directness as “crude”. FAR TOO MANY people have allowed The Left to define current “standards.” Not me.

Research how many times the President uses the F word to define his political enemies. Zero times.
            Now do a search for how many times The Left have used that word among other curse words in attacking the President.
            Now tell me again who is crude.

• john says:

You want crude? Listen to DeNiro at any of the awards shows. Listen to anyone on the left when they talk about PDJT. Listen to Joy and Whoopi. Record anybody under 35 normal conversation and play it back to them. Expletives are part of everyday conversation today.

Liberals dont live by the standards they set for the rest of us.

• 1stgoblyn says:

I would much rather hear a person speak in public the same way he speaks behind closed doors. Soetoro used nasty language when he didn’t think anyone of importance was listening. Listen to the audience when someone the likes of Rashida Tlaib or Joy Behar or a late night comic drop an F-bomb or something similar. Those same people hooting and hollering when someone on the left lets out a nasty cuss word are the ones who accuse President Trump of being crude and nasty with his language. There are double standards in every phrase of our culture and society.

• dayallaxeded says:

True. I cringe almost every time I’m out with my late 29 yo son, bc the F bombs just keep dropping. We’re free thinkers and speakers, so I’m not having a church lady heart attack, but I do miss the civility and consequent range of meaning and emotion language conveyed in times past. PDJTS crudeness is nothing compared to the vileness of prognazi speech and actions.

• GB Bari says:

Exactly.

• coltlending says:

I don’t dispute your point.

But from time to time many of us can say things that are offensive when mis-interpreted or taken out of context or legitimately offensive to others like the comment to Billy Bush (incidentally some women who get together that comment was relatively tame).

What a politician says is important to be sure, as is how he says some things.

But what really matters is what he does.

The positive accomplishments this president has achieved that has impacted a great great number of Americans is undeniable.

China is just one example.

It’s been said, the things that could have been achieved if the media and Democrats were not being so obstructive is off the charts.

The Democrats slow walking the USMCA is just one appalling example.

• cdquarles says:

Offensive? That DJT said the truth, in locker room fashion, should not have been offensive. Not only will some females let an alpha male grab them by the genitalia, they’ll throw themselves at an alpha male for just that purpose, if given the chance. I have seen it with my own eyes.

• Actually even if he was crude or offensive what does that have to do with anything. I really amazes me that some people think words are more important than actions.

• I agree. I was always willing to give an opposing view a fair hearing and try to acknowledge even the smallest of value in someones argument for the sake of civil discourse. NO MORE! The left has gone so far off the rails and have weaponized every damn governmental institution in its insatiable quest for power that I give no quarter and ask no quarter. It’s total rhetorical and legal war. They get no benefit of the doubt any longer. Their collective willful deafness and blindness to facts and willingness to use scorched earth tactics to decimate their opponents leave no other option than to oppose every centimeter of their encroachment on freedom with vehement will of righteousness and the resolve to politically and culturally destroy them. New rules, they lose. Period. Burn the damn ships!

• KMD says:

Thank you GB, your opinion is accurate and appreciated!

Many of the defining characteristic of our beloved President are indeed a product of his environment. In this AO, life happens fast! You’ve gotta be ‘on the ball’… situationally aware at all times, lest you be run over from behind! Whether that’s in business, or (quite literally) while driving on our pothole riddled roadways…

I’ve been blessed to have friends all over the country, of whom I’ve visited on many occasions. When invariably meeting & getting to know more ‘local’ folks, its joyfully humbling for this yankee”, “city slicker”. etc… to be accepted amongst them. Beyond the ‘accent’ and ‘right between the eyes’ point of impact for dialogue, the common ground is that we all share the same basic value system of goodness…

What some label “crude”, many, many NYers respect as being GENUINE. 63 million Americans allowed themselves that same realization in 2016. And many millions more have, since that blessed day in November…

Remember when President Trump said something to the effect of, “it’s OK if you don’t like me, as long as you vote for me”. There ya have it, in a nutshell!

• Bendix says:

I don’t know why it’s acceptable among the SJW crowd to be biased against a man from Queens, Noo Yawk, who shows his roots.

He has an intemperate mouth. Sticks and stones. If you watch him closely, as I do, he really only lets loose with the nasty remarks about appearance and so forth, when someone has attacked him, and gotten really personal, first.

As far as his Bush remarks, the network knew what Billy Bush was like when they hired him. You wouldn’t have had Donald Trump making those kinds of private remarks to someone like John Tesh.
            People who covered for Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer, Les Moonves, etc. pretended to be shocked by something they heard while eavesdropping.
            That’s what it is, a form of inadvertent eavesdropping, IMO.

• Laure says:

The very personality traits and mannerisms that certain people object to are exactly what made President Trump successful in NY.. it is the NY influence/experience more than any other characteristic that determines his success in politics…the adage is true, if you can make it in NY, you can make it anywhere…
          as for history, long after we are all dead and buried, It is my belief that he will be regarded as the very best president we ever had…his challenges in many ways surpass the challenges Lincoln had during his presidency…reason for this is the global reach/influence of his presidency and the pervasive complicit media…confused historians will study this period in time for generations…

• ann says:

His statements on that topic are not well articulated, esp in a conversation which covers a broad irange of topics. He is conveying tragedian in a classicist context.

If you are interested, VDH has an interesting video which explains in more detail the tragedian perspective: .
        to roughly condense & paraphrase, he uses tragedian themes in contrast to the meld of late Victorian era ‘social improvement, religiosity movement which metamorphoised into a collectivist genre of liberalism. In the impersonal disattached era of mass urban migration, where illiterate displaced rural populations became wage labour in slum tenements brutal liaise fairs industrialisation whose social suffering Charles Dickens so brilliantly chronicled, That was the hotbed that popularised deterministic ideological creeds that use secular politics to , supposedly , progress to utopiia. militant Marxist socialism,,soft sell of “progressivism,

He juxtapositions the two worldviews western classicism versus human society marching forward through stages to a utopian end, sans the humility of including God. .

So Tragedy is seen both in the arc of individual lives, and in the larger belief that war, hubris, human nature , aggression, injustice, inequality are constants throughout human history.

To be wary of ideologies that peddle political pitches and ideological nostrums that have some scheme to achieve a more perfect society if you give them power.

Sorry for being long winded.

• zekness says:

do not apologize….appreciate the long wind…refreshing. like a blast of new air.

speak up…this is a good place to exercise genuine insights.

• zorrorides says:

TY Ann. NOW I can read the interview from the right perspective. Very helpful.

• ann says:

Seriously?
            Felt inappropriately didactic to inflict on Treepers.
            I perceive, perhaps wrongly, that often Progressivists accept the “theology” as it were, wo fully apprehending the underlying mythos.
            a powerful tool for social control.
            masked behind sloppy assumptions and rhetoric mistaken for benign intentions.

A bugaboo for me, I guess

• jackokie says:

Ann, one of the joys of CTH is the knowledge available in the comment threads. Thank you for your “backgrounder” on VDH’s interview; it provided clarity for us STEM types.

• ann says:

Jack, our strengths form a resilent practical innovative people.
                Thank you.
                I’m a sport: my family runs to scientists, math guys, engineers, chemists, inventors.

I distrusted numeric concepts , very arbitrary. 1-2 grade i was suspicious, no one informed me of negative numbers or decimals. And zero is debatable!

Hahaha! 😂

• Conservative_302 says:

VDH is a genius. Throughout Trumps presidency, he has really helped me understand what is going on. Can you imagine being back in college and he being a professor of one of your classes? That would be a class no one would miss, and his class would change you. He’s brilliant.

• botchedcasuality says:

I’ve been looking to see if he has an online course, I believe it would enrich me and Braden my perspective.

• ann says:

302
            Yes, One of my favourite military historians and cultural guides.
            Not your typical annoying intelligentsia . Ha! ✝️🇺🇸🌲.

• JT says:

The first Saturday after 9-11 Mr. Hanson was on C-Span for a previously scheduled presentation about his latest book as that network usually does on the weekends.. He was at a Fresno, CA bookstore The book was about the war between Athens and Sparta if I recall correctly After being introduced he was standing at the podium. He tabled that altogether and instead talked about the destruction of the twin towers and the terrorists. I’m sure people present at the store bought his book but it would be due to his talk about what our nation had just experienced.

• I’d like to watch the video…where is it found?

• MAJA says:

I see President Trump as very refined, disciplined, intelligent, confident, pragmatic. He has great taste, has deep respect for life, God, family and country. His ego is well earned and his ability to surround himself with the best of the best and give them full credit for their contributions shows his self-awareness and humility. He deserves to take credit for everything he has accomplished. if the msm was only half as hateful as they are, I think he would graciously accept the attention rather than bring attention to it himself. There’s no way he is going to let it all get swept under the rug, which I admire. Nothing beta about this man. I hope VDH is wrong about President Trump not receiving appreciation for all he’s doing to save our country.

• Peter Rabbit says:

Trump is not crude, merely direct and plain spoken. Brilliant mind, strategist, with impeccable timing and communication skills. I chuckle at the so called sensitivity of those purporting to be on his side when 45 refuses to back down or be politically correct. I, for one, love his combative style whenever it is called for, which is all the time with our many enemies. Foreign and Domestic. Love Our Lion. Has enormous heart, clear vision, and great sense of humor.

POTUS is greatest multi-tasker I have ever seen, and does it at very high levels at warp speed with extraordinary results.

• Tom Hansen says:

I do not believe Trump is crude at all. In fact, Trump’s personality is exactly what has been needed to fight back against a politically correct and declining culture particularly one that has become more secular and anti-Christian.

As a reminder, we have been living in a PC culture for around a decade or so about when Obama was first elected. Prior to that, much of what Trump says and tweets would not be looked at twice. Trump reminds me of the persona of a John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, or a Charles Bronson, and even a Billy Graham from 50 years ago.

Trump simply has defied the political correctness of today which the media and the leftist have been promoting, so they went to war with him because he would not conform, so he is vilified by them.

He is not a tragic figure at all. He is a giant among men who has the courage of a lion, and the wisdom of Solomon, because no human could withstand what Trump has endured without Jesus in his heart and the Holy Spirit guiding him.

In all of modern history, there has been no other world leader that has supported the Word of God via his actions than Trump.

• cdquarles says:

I beg to differ here. I am old enough to remember Jim Crow. PC is just ol’ Jim’s son. The mentality is even older and use the same playbook. To me, that’s why “1984” was a cautionary tale. Today, it seems, that not only is “Rules for Radicals” (dedicated to Lucifer who became Satan) is the same-old same-old done to ‘the Other’ back in the ’20s and ’30s, but “1984” is the playbook, too.

• I think you have it exactly right Hebo Sabe. When all is said and done, he will be recorded in history as a man who made more of a positive difference than anyone we’ve seen before.

I write that because while he ran on Make America Great Again what he’s doing must at this point in history be global in nature and GREAT in scope, thereby effecting change never before seen on a global scale.

Draining the swamp will reach farther than we can imagine as our globalist owned political predators have had their dirty hands on pretty much every nation on the planet in some corrupt fashion or another… our Founders would have tried and upon what should be obvious convictions, hanged them all.

I want to join the fight for a Third Term for President Donald J. Trump because what they have done to his first term calls for it!

Make Earth Great Again! L 😀 L

• wildsailor2018 says:

You are probably correct but it will be after a considerable amount of time. My case example is Reagan. At the time of his presidency he was the shining example of left hate and ridicule. The press was complicit and tried to bring him down. Things changed after his time in office and I just about fell out of my chair in 2016 when, during the campaign the Demonrats tried to lay claim to Lincoln and Reagan.

The warning in this interview is clear; the ‘progressives’ know what is happening to their agenda and the ‘backlash if Trump wins re-election in 2020 will be horrific.’

• bluenova1971 says:

The winners generally write the history books, so…

3. alliwantissometruth says:

The great thing about Hanson, besides him being an incredibly smart, common sense intellectual, is he sees firsthand the destruction of American society, since he still lives on his family’s farm in California

He’s pondered all the so called “intellectual” arguments about multiculturalism and the third world invasion of Western countries, and he always comes to the same conclusion

It’s nothing more than a power play by the left to wrest power from the natives, and it’s obscenely wrong and extremely destructive to our Constitutional Republic

He’s seen his once tranquil and successful community turn into a third world slum, and he has no qualms saying so

• Revelation says:

Its not just a power play; its an act of animus of people with a grudge against whites.

You can see this from the agenda of anti-white racism that pervades the modern left.

• Raptors2020 says:

Victor is a working farmer who respects people who can do things with their hands. Trump the builder has a similar mindset.

The opposition are people who only use their hands on keyboards. Rather than respecting physical labor, they associate it with ignorance. Primary industry, in all forms, is bad for the environment. The Left aspires to the post-industrial world of Ocasio-Cortez and Justin Trudeau.

The American electorate is becoming ever more starkly divided. Masculine men and married women vote Republican. Feminine men and single women vote Democrat. The Democrats understand, on some level, that Trump’s quest to bring industrial jobs home, the jobs demanding physical labor, would not benefit their Party, nor appeal to their voters.

• MTeresa says:

The opposition also disdain folks who serve in the military (or in law enforcement).

You are so right – the country is becoming more and more divided.

I didn’t know that VDH is a working farmer. I love his quiet dignified way of communicating. I could listen to him for hours.

• Mark L. says:

I also appreciate his historical justification for seeing beyond the next mountain.

• Conservative_302 says:

Thomas Sowell is another brilliant mind. I like him, too.

4. JohnCasper says:

I wish people wouldn’t keep calling them progressives – that’s their word.

• Bill says:

Regressive left… I like it!

• Risa says:

I visualize them as “progressing” us over a cliff. Into an abyss.

• Dutchman says:

There are two views of ‘people’; the view of the fuedalists of the middle ages, updated cosmetically by the marxists;
      People are SHEEP, to be led or misled by the few elitists. Throw in a judas goat, and they can be herded anywhere, and won’t know or care,whether the,destination is fresh pasture, a shearing or the slaughterhouse.

Benevolent or not so benevolent dictatorship.

And then there is the view of the,Founders; a SELF-GOVERNING people, a republic, representative government.

A risky, untried experiment, as even the founders knew. The anti’s, the despicables are betting the farm, all in on their marxist view, betting on, COUNTING on the stupidity of the American people.

PDJT is,also “all in”, betting the farm, his and his families lives on the,Founders vision, and so are we, his supporters. A risk, certainly. Betting is all about risk. If the outcome were certain, there would be no bet.

Never the less,,I feel the outcome IS certain, because in the end, I DO believe in, and have faith in, We the people.

• Eric French says:

There are two areas of thought:

Ends justify the means: non- Judeo-Christian thinking

Moral means bring forth moral ends: Judeo-Christian thinking

EVERY political move can be categorized this way. Of course, each political solution has shades of each…but conservatives tend to believe noble ends don’t justify illegal means to that nobel end. Liberals, especially since Obama and his brand of community organizing socialism, have shifted hugely to the ends/means paradigm. America, however, is not on board with this thinking, and as Trump gets them to reveal who they really are, more and more regular folks agree rejecting them.

• Dutchman says:

I agree. Thats yet another aspect of it. Take God out of your life, and you are ‘free’ to commit the most unconscionable acts, and to view people as sheep, to be led or misled, to a shearing or the slaughterhouse.

And to not see Satans hand, and Gods hand, in our current political and cultural war, is to be willfully blind.

• Eric French says:

There are two areas of thought:

Ends justify the means: non- Judeo-Christian thinking

Moral means bring forth moral ends: Judeo-Christian thinking

• woodstuff says:

Great post, Dutchman. I was searching for what I had read in the past concerning the use of the name “progressive”. I couldn’t find the article I had in mind, but I scored some of it on another site today. An informative read.

The second paragraph reveals much:

• Dutchman says:

As the older system of government is the elites dictating to the masses, and the priviledged having a,seperate law for them (priviledge actually means ‘private law’, meaning one rule,for them, different for everyone else) and the newer, more evolved thinking on governance is that of our Founders, ,…..
          Just like everything else, liberals/conmunist globalists turn everything bass-aqwards, they are regressive.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

I concur……….This was an excellent interview. I would say great, but I have a few points of disagreement.

Victor David Hansen is a student of history……
        And in the last few minutes of the interview he states when all is said and done our President will be the “Tragic Hero”

As in “The Man who Shot Liberty Valence”……Shane…..or The Magnificent Seven where Someone with “intestinal fortitude” came along and saved people…or a town…..and in the end….the people threw the ones who saved them to the curb.

Like a Patton or LeMay……VDH suggests that after Americans grow accustomed to “full employment”, being the number one producer of energy the world, living the good life etc…. they will forget about our President and he will just ride away into the sunset……with the people believing..”look what we did”

I disagree. We are in a moment where we cannot predict events according to history.

Because “We” and our President are making history.

We are about to witness the “fall of the Democratic Party”.
        Yes, our President “is” risking everything.
        And when he wins ……our republic…..will once again be as our Founders dreamed.

He saved us…..he saved us all…..We must never forget

• CountryDoc says:

I share the optimism. We have a part. Every time God blessed Israel, he told them to mark it, celebrate it, remember, memorialize it with a ritual. Until all the rewriting of our history, we did the same in America. There is a growing home school and private education in our country to counteract the rewriting of history.

We must hang on and learn from the historians, the Theologians, the leaders. We must eliminate the liars and the thieves, or at least neutralize them. There is not a nice way to do this. God did not do it nicely and politely, neither did Jesus (to the money changers and scribes and Pharisees), neither did King David, Napoleon, Grant, Sherman, Patton, or Schwartzkopf.

We must restore law, order, respect and honor. And get the message accross — Dont F@!k with our country or constitution.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

Nicely stated

• CM-TX says:

Don’t underestimate Gen Z…

My 12yo tells me the other day they were discussing the “Race to Space.” The teacher wanted facts re., but only the US side, & NO Russia points.

My son said he & his fellow classmates got ANGRY about this restriction. Granted these are pre-AP/Gifted kids, but they weren’t having it! I found this hilarious.

I do believe from my generation (at least… Reagan probably being the most influential President in my formative years), on down– or those having brains– Do NOT see Russia as some sort of “boogeyman”. This is also why the whole “Muh Russia Hoax” PARANOIA was such a complete FLOP! 😏

• CM-TX says:

I’m also going to encourage him to wear his Adidas tracksuit to school on Monday… just to see if it triggers his teacher a little. 😁

• I’m with you on this one Gunny. All. The. Way. in… and I don’t think for a minute that we will ever forget. Especially the millions of us that end up waking up along the way and realize just what a magnificent thing President Donald J. Trump has done for the entire planet and its inhabitants.

• Dutchman says:

Didn’t watch the interview, I confess. But I agree with you, and also disagree with Hanson.

Judging by previous history works,….right up until it doesn’t, from the most basic, to the most,complex.
          My car,starts every morning,…right up until it doesn’t.
          Many predicted the experiment of America would fail, before, during and after our,Founding.

And, based on history up to that moment, you it was reasonable to assume it COULDN’T work.

PDJT has said many times, in many ways its a MOVEMENT; the greatest movement the world has ever known.

And, it IS a reactive movement.
          A reaction to the overreach of the,Globalist/Conmunists, and it, like the G/C’s is a,worldwide movement, with the epicenter here.
          And PDJT is the spokesman for that movement. We and our,President are making history every day.

When is the last,time a major political party in America,self-destructed? The Whigs didn’t.

Whens the last time a POTUS, in his first two years, totally decimated the legacy of his three previous predecessors.

Whens the last time a Candidate for POTUS, who never ran for anything before, won?

We simply can not apply past performance to future expectations, in the,age of Trump.

• CountryDoc says:

Gunny, all of your points I agree with. This one: “They were just,absorbed into the Republican party, where they evolved into the Rockefeller Republicons.”

— is the kicker. This is the real enemy. They use the crazy left to carry their deceptive agenda – to rob the U.S. economy. They are the wolves in sheeps clothing, pretending to be conservative, religious, patriots — when they are self entitled thieves.

Trump has found very basic secret sauce — Truth. Sunlight. Exposure. And a confidence and courage to stand up to the deceivers, which is so strong that it makes those of us who fell asleep uncomfortable at first, then wake up and say, “Hell, yeah”.

The pressure has been building for years, stabilized by the American respect for morality, law, and order — the foundation of our constitution. Trump has lit the match and the chemical reaction is exploding exponentially.

• Dutchman says:

Yup. In one of many great ironies, you COULD say it was actually Trumps opponents who lit the match, by their overreach.
              Sure, Obama and his,administration with their intrusion into the culture wars (transgender bathrooms, etc)
              but also with these very Republicons, who whitewashed Obamas scandals.

Even asleep, we KNEW ‘somethings not right’ as we saw not one, not two but THREE major scandals brushed under the rug.

By their overreach, they created the opening for a DJT to step into. Their hubris is now on full display, from “smelling the Trump support in Walmart” to “Liberals LIKE to cluster, whereas Conservatives can’t even tolerate other conservatives” their not even attempting to hide their true thoughts, feelings and intentions.
              Pride goeth before a fall, and ask Ozmodious how that turned out.
              Who?,…..EXACTLY.

• rashomon says:

Only THREE scandals? How about ten times that many…or more!

• Dutchman says:

Well, three that A) became ‘exposed’ and B) COULD have ended his Presidency, or at the very least seriously damaged his party, had they been exploited by the ‘opposition’; Using the IRS to target political opposition, supplying guns to Mexican cartels, and supplying weoponry to islamic terrorists, which was used to kill American soldiers in Afcrapistan.

Any one of those SHOULD have been devastating, and yet due to the Republicons “investigate to exhonerate”, Obama could CLAIM his admin was ‘scandal free’, although how he could utter that, without his toungue cleaving to the roof of his mouth is beyond me.

Bottom line, in two parts; Obama could NOT have done the damage to our country he did, without a complicit Republicon leadership in Congress.
                  Democrat Conmunism COULD NOT have brought our country as far down the road to a conmunist state as it did, without Republicon complicity.

• rashomon says:

Obama’s road to the Presidency was oiled from the day he entered Occidental until…heck, he and the Mooch are still knocking American while they’re scuttling for more donations to their Obama Foundation while in Singapore? From what I’ve heard from Chas. Ortel, that foundation is as illegal as the various Clinton constructs.

• Dutchman says:

Well, Ortel knows of what he speaks, and it is disconcerting that, with all he has uncovered and put out, the Clinton foundation is still functioning.

Hence, we see Obama following the same route.

Yet another reason to question Barrs legitimacy; the Clinton foundation is low hanging fruit, and while Statute of Lim may help her skate on SOME criminal charges, the foundation is STILL a crooked enterprise, and STILL in business.

• rashomon says:

You’re right, Dutchman. Don”t hold your breath. With all that our president has on his plate and the congressional/CoC mafia that continues to work against him, it’s amazing that he’s accomplished as much as he has.

Charles seems to think the foreign donors — Ukraine was the largest — are getting wise to the Clinton’s perfidy and will cooperate to bring them down during PDJT’s next term. Fingers crossed!

• Dutchman says:

My recollection of Ortel, one of his main points is that every corporate entity that donates to any charity, has an obligation, a fiduciary responsibility, to insure the charity is ‘legit’, since they are using the donation as a tax deduction.

The most basic, minimal vetting would have found the Clinton foundation is NOT a ‘legal’ charity, is not met the reporting requirements of ANY state, federal or foriegn governments to recieve donations.

Hence ALL corporate donors would have to pay the tax and penalties on any money they donated.

Pleading ignorance is no excuse, in this instance, nor is lack of intent.

Creates one heck of a mess, to try to sort out, hence no one wants to go there. Lots of powerful people and entities, that want to let that sleeping dog lie.

• bluenova1971 says:

Right on, Doc

• Conservative_302 says:

Obama has been reported by the fake news as great, but you and I quietly think otherwise. As his evil is exposed, people’s perceptions will change. Trump is like no other. He is the right man at the right time. I think his legacy will be thought of favorably. His courage, intelligence, will, and love of God, country and people knows no bounds. I can only hope he sees how many Americans support and love him because we do, and we are many in number.

• Raptors2020 says:

Dutchman:
        I agree totally.
        One question I puzzle over the most is the bizarre alliance within the Democrat Party between the limousine liberals and the socialists. The welfare state creates social stratification: the end to upward mobility. A return to Feudalism; that’s the appeal of socialism to the rich.

• Dutchman says:

Yeah, its hilarious, if it wasn’t so potentially tragic.
          If the Radicaler wing were to prevail, the limo libs would be the first to be lined up against the wall. They don’t SEE,that, cause of willful blindness. But they,are gonna get,some insights, in Milwaukee I think.

• Pokey says:

Tribalism is regressive, no? 🙂

• I’m still trying to point out that they shouldn’t be called the ‘Democratic’ party (there’s NOTHING ‘democratic’ about them) — they are in fact the Democrat party.

• Aunt Clara says:

I always refer to them as the Regressives. There is nothing new about their worldview and it is decidedly backwards. No matter what they say.

• Aunt Clara says:

• Ockham's Phaser says:

Or ‘transgressives’ . Google definition – “infringe or go beyond the bounds of (a moral principle or other established standard of behavior).”

A bit of a double entendre in there too.

• Doppler says:

There are a lot of “isms” out there, and a disproportionate number of them originate with Marxism. Classism, socialism, progressivism, etc. We even let them name our free economy as Kapitalism. I prefer to think in American term: Democratic republic, jealously enumerated government powers, especially beyond local and regional, but all government deriving its just powers from the consent of the governed, and justified only to secure the rights of the people to individual liberty, including and especially free markets. Marxists are deeply and chronically deceitful, but very clever at manipulating the public to undermine existing authority, claiming to pursue “social justice” but always intent on securing absolute, unquestioned authority for their ideologically “pure” and therefore unchallengeable elite cadre. Once secured comes brutal oppression of all dissent, irradication of preexisting social institutions, public humiliation of everyone who doesn’t fawn over those in authority, and economic collapse, as the blessings of liberty disappear en masse.

• Jase says:

They are the new Puritans: terrified, and furious, that somebody, somewhere might be having a good time.

• jessetmims says:

@ JohnCasper… Re “I wish people wouldn’t keep calling them progressives – that’s their word.
      They want to regress back before the US Constitution, especially before its Bill of Rights and even before due process and that makes them regressives.”

Good call. I’ve said for a long time now that if someone did the research, they would likely find that most of today’s liberals whose families can be traced back to people who were here during the American Revolution are descendants of anti-American loyalists to King George.

• Tom Hansen says:

The Dems replaced socialist with progressive back in the 1950’s to avoid the stigma that socialism has with voters.

• cdquarles says:

Not quite, if I am remembering correctly. Back in the 1880s and 90s, there was a Progressive Party. It didn’t get anywhere; so they infiltrated both the Democrat party and the Republican one. Think Woodrow Wilson. Think Theodore Roosevelt and his cousin, Franklin.

5. Phil says:

I would like to see some matryoshka dolls with Comey, Brennan, Clapper, Hillary, Obama, then Soros or any other combinations you can think of (throw in Putin anywhere). Then side by side with a Trump matryoshka doll. It would be Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, then Trump.

6. samwise163 says:

I advise (recommend) all CTH treepers to listen to entire interview AND SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE. VDH is a national treasure. He spits hot fire (otherwise known as “reality” and “truth”). You can almost hear the leftists crying in the background….as the Rocky music plays on….

7. ann says:

VDH: all my life he has been an intellectual mentor; brings long view wisdom into a sharply focus perspective of contemporary society and culture.

Appreciate you posting this Sundance.

8. JohnCasper says:

Victor Davis Hansen wrote a book called The Savior Generals: How Five Great Commanders Saved Wars That Were Lost—From Ancient Greece to Iraq. Those five were Themistocles, Belisarius, Sherman, Ridgway and Petraeus, although that five includes one who absolutely does not even begin to belong there, so it should actually have been four. Maybe in the future he will write a book called something like The Savior Presidents: How Four Great Presidents Saved America That Would Otherwise Have Been Lost—From Washington to Trump.

• dilonsfo says:

Damned if I understand General Petraeus. Guess I am going to have to read the book to find out why he was included.

• JohnCasper says:

Douglas Macgregor (retired Army colonel and author of Breaking the Phalanx) : ”Petraeus is a remarkable piece of fiction created and promoted by neocons in government, the media and academia, How does an officer with no personal experience of direct fire combat in Panama or Desert Storm become a division CDR in 2003, a man who for 35 years shamelessly reinforced whatever dumb idea his superiors advanced regardless of its impact on soldiers, let alone the nation, a man who served repeatedly as a sycophantic aide-de-camp,military assistant and executive officer to four stars get so far?

How does the same man who balked at closing with and destroying the enemy in 2003 in front of Baghdad agree to sacrifice more than a thousand American lives and destroy thousands of others installing Iranian national power in Baghdad with a surge that many in and out of uniform warned against? Then, how does this same man repeat the self-defeating tactics one more time in Afghanistan? The answer is simple: Petraeus was always a useful fool in the Leninist sense for his political superiors and that is precisely how history will judge him.“

• rashomon says:

Having some relatives who served under him, I have wondered about Hanson’s conclusion since reading it. You are correct, John, Petraeus was a most useful tool and should be called “Betrayus” by the American taxpayers for blowing billions pursuing no-brains-involved actions. His service as CIA Director proves the point; he betrayed our people in the Benghazi debacle, a smear that still needs exploring in PDJT’s second term.

9. JohnCasper says:

10. Shyster says:

Off topic but the Gateway Pundit has listed the 31 Dem freshman’s phone numbers and the idea is to call, and even if not in their state or district, leave a message advising that if they vote to impeach you will be contributing to who ever their opponent is.

11. littleanniefannie says:

VDH is one smart guy too! That’s why he and DJT are so sympatico!!

• Mark L. says:

VDH is a classical intellectual.
      DJT is a whole other cat. His perspective of the landscape is fascinating.
      Maybe he is indeed a time traveler.

12. NJF says:

I have to watch the rest tomorrow. Try to get hubby to watch too.

I always enjoy VDHs insights & Epoch Times has a good format as well.

The fact that VDH brings up the media in relation to Trayvon shows he’s been paying attention.

13. luke says:

Admittedly I haven’t watched the video yet. I was watching the Senate questioning of Horowitz earlier though. Ted Cruz had a couple hilarious moments one he said “”This is not Jason Bourne (FBI defectors) this is Beavis and Butthead” Lol Senator Cruz is correct. Guys the only logical explanation of why Trump was not only elected but took power is because we (they) are not all powerful. Many of us think that the enemy has us all in his grasp. The left
    feels the same way I suspect. The Truth….a bunch of Charlatans are in charge but Times are Changing

14. TwoLaine says:

The headline. I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. There is little to nothing left of The Kenyan’s agenda.

• BitterC says:

Maybe little left of the halfrican’s agenda, but his legacy lives on with:

Drag Queen story times, men destroying women’s sports, “white privilege”, hatred for cops, love of open borders, little activists being trained in grade school, cops allowing mobs to run wild in our streets, unaffordable health insurance, criminals are now the victims, homosexual marriage, etc

• Yes it does BitterC, but this too shall pass. Hopefully sooner than later… it’s sick to the rotten core.

• TwoLaine says:

We are playing the long game, and we’ve only had the Presidency for less than 3 years. Give it time. Look at how many conservative judges have been put in the courts.

Have we had a Ferguson? NO.

A whole lot of things are gone that he instituted, and others are sitting at the feet of the Supreme Court for the final say, like the illegal DACA.

You sound like you might be tired of WINNING. 😉

15. alonzo1956 says:

There are two people who I really listen to and find their opinions to be amazingly informative. VDH is one and the other is Steve Bannon. Both of them are brilliant men and they keep me thinking.

16. Robert Smith says:

I think VDH is wrong in his closing views about Trump. I think he’s great otherwise.

17. zozz1 says:

The Democrats sowed the seeds of their own destruction with their arrogant monomaniacal efforts to bring down President Trump by any means. In so doing, they forfeited any claim to honor, decency, or concern for the country’s well-being. “Who sows the wind, reaps the whirlwind.” The result of their behavior is that they now stand unmasked before their own and before all of America. We are already seeing Democrats switching parties, and I suspect those who still believe in honorable service will no longer see the Democrat Party as a home for them. The Democrats have only themselves to blame, and they will pay a very heavy price for the harm they have done to the country…to the America we love.

18. Jus wundrin says:

Yes, and the repubs need to fully stand behind him and help.

19. Sharon says:

Victor Davis Hanson – so thoughtful, able to put complex ideas into historical and intellectual and political context.

The interviewer is irritating, even though his words are fine. He has the habit that so many “journalist” interviewers, TV-professionals have: smiling slight (and inappropriately – where it doesn’t make sense) as they are posing questions or developing what they’re trying to get said. I finally had to turn the video off and just listen to the audio.

• hawkins6 says:

Would a robot interviewer with a speech synthesizer voice and an immutable plastic or metal countenance be acceptable Sharon?

I like Jan’s style of interviewing and letting his guests fully complete their thoughts but given the state of the media I understand your reaction. We’ve all become touchy to the idiosyncrasies or imperfections of the human interviewer. I was imagining Victor being interviewed by an impatient Ingraham and interrupted about 60-70 times at least during the hour. (However-Kudos to Laura for being on the front lines of political discourse today)

20. anne simon says:

Hanson is an academic. They have a way of cleverly marketing themselves as they profess, by positioning themselves in an intellectual “sweet spot.” . ( I am reminded of Chomsky) . He makes some good observations, but profound, he is not.

• 4gypsybreeze says:

His observations hit the mark.

• The Boss says:

VDH has a better grasp of the subject than most people could appreciate in an hour’s time. He hit the high points, defined the problem, provided examples AND provided some practical advice on how to deal with lefties. Mind-numbing background information was mercifully left unspoken.
      So I’d not refer to VDH as an academic. Academics are book smart, but not not street smart. Hanson won’t have his pockets picked on the street.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

I am slightly impressed. VDH did expose himself when he stated:
        He thought the tweeting was not necessary
        But when asked:

Why are the Democrats so angry at our President?
        He stated something that I had read on “The Burning Platform” web site about a year ago.

The Democrats had a 16 year plan to destroy America. The first 8 years would be Obama and the final destruction, 8 years, would be performed by Hillary Clinton.

She was supposed to win…and complete this 16 year plan…..( I’ll provide a link later….on my phone now…)….That is the main reason they are angry….

She Lost….

As I recall parts of this plan were to:

– Go to war with North Korea
        – Have unlimited immigration
        – Destroy our military
        – Close down most if not all our energy capabilities

There are many more items, but he did also mention that the MSM made their commitment to the liberal agenda and are beginning to realize their mistake.

Listen to the interview…….as stated…..all but the last part are good.

• ediegrey says:

I didn’t agree with VDH that Trump is petty because he touts his accomplishments. Nobody else will – and he is always selling himself, cause he wants to win. People need to be reminded of the truth. I like VDH but he is a National Review guy and they were not behind Trump in 2016.

• NC Patriot says:

Hate to sat this but the whole construct sited above (16 year plan to destroy America interrupted by DJT–preventing HRC from finishing the job) was explained at length by the forbidden # 17 a year and a half ago.

21. SR says:

Just came from a party which has mostly liberals and extreme left like professors class. They all agreed PTrump will be winning 2020. They are not happy with any democrat presidential candidate but looking Bloomberg as a chance.

• Tl Howard says:

Although Bloomberg is w/out charisma, I believe he would be a formidable opponent.
      People assume a man of his wealth and philanthropic background would be more than competent right off the bat. Two groups of people can be captured by Bloomberg: Trump haters, and people who know jobs and the economy are good under Trump but who are uncomfortable with the societal conflict between him, his supporters, and the Dems.

The latter group hold Trump partly responsible for the political unrest in the country, for the growth of incivility in our politics even though they are likely to admit he is a man with a special skill set that has benefited Americans. These folks are by nature averse to conflict and will argue with themselves that whatever Trump has been able to do economically so too can the financial wizard Bloomberg. These are the people who take to heart the threats from Dems that as long as Donald J Trump is Potus, the will fight him tooth and nail.

If Bloomberg is their nominee, the issue will be China, will it not?

• Mark L. says:

Bloomberg is smart, I’ll give him that. He better get a good writer and read off the teleprompter like Barry. When he goes off script, it’s a terrible thing to behold.

• Dennis Leonard says:

Mr Howard,
        Like I told you before ,anyone who ends their political infomercial with dump trump,is sophomoric.And “financial wizard Bloomberg”.Your wasting your talents here,go get on his campaign team.

• Tl Howard says:

Oh, stuff it. I’m as big a Trump fan as there is. I am also a worrier and offer up such analyses to get feedback from those who actually think about what I’ve written. That’s why I like this site: Sundance is superb and so are many of his readers and posters.

Just in case you don’t recall: I warned folks who laughed at Pelosi’s warnings of impeachment. They seemed not to know how skilled she’s alway been at whipping her membership, and they definitely underestimated her and her cronies. We see how far she’s pushed this–and many here said it would never get this far.

Similarly, Bloomberg was laughed at by many in NY because of many things, but he’s viewed as a successful major of NYC AND he managed to scare or otherwise persuade NYC councilpeople into allowing him a third term.

Never underestimate your opponent, esp. one who has a background that yes, is “successful.” YOu can assume there is good reason he’s been successful in business AND politics.

• icthematrix says:

Generally agree that Bloomberg has the capacity to bridge the whacko leftists and left of center Dims into a coalition, perhaps bring some “moderates” into the tent. I don’t think he has the personality to pull off winning the general, and possibly not the D nomination. But he may become the last option standing amongst this pathetic bunch.

• MTeresa says:

I’m around mostly leftists in my area. The ones who bring it up, know President Trump is going to be hard to beat and don’t see anyone that could even give him a run for his money except Michelle “big” Mike Obama or Oprah (ha). What gets me is, despite how much they’ve benefited from this great economy, great stock market, great 401K………..they just can’t stand him. I say, whatever. They know I am a big supporter. I took a lot of heat from friends that were so dead set against him. As much as I’d love to, I won’t gloat. For me – the success of President Trump speaks for itself and it’s not necessary for me to say, toldyaso.

VDH is right – a lot of the people I know who scream about all of the -isms live in elite areas, pretend that they are so diverse and progressive and yet are far from it. I hear leftists talk about white guilt. I think they ought to look in the mirror – it’s economic guilt that they’re suffering from but are unwilling (of course) to give up any of their comforts.

Someone told me a few months ago….they were shocked after reviewing their 2018 taxes returns and how little they paid – isn’t it awful!!!! I looked them straight in the eye and said, “Well, no one is stopping you from sending the IRS more.”

22. mg says:

thanks so much for the post, Sundance.

23. 4gypsybreeze says:

Instead of watching the interviews of tomorrow on media-this should be the interview to watch!

The manner in which he explains…..what is Deep State alone is worth watching.

Apply that to a new manager/management coming in to where you work and the attitudes you have/will see-we can all relate. Seen it time and time again. He explained in an understandable manner.

The Zimmerman case and the media. That was pretty good! Don’t agree with his tragedy and ending…because our President is just beginning. A lot can happen in just months, let alone years. History books are written by the victor. Let’s make sure that we win.

All information we can use when we go out to inform and educate.

Thanks Sundance. I would have missed this wonderful interview if you hadn’t posted!

P.S….shouldn’t we all send the book 1984 to Democrat Representatives and Senators? Obviously they know nothing about the “thought police”–? Obvious they have never read the book. Our Republican Representatives could always hand them a copy. Just a suggestion…………

24. hawkins6 says:

Victor is a brilliant chap and the Epoch Times’ lengthy format with minimal interruptions and no time limits on answers is the best way for a patient, attentive interviewer like Jan to fully exploit VDH’s knowledgeable mind. Rather than just living or pondering opinions in our time, his education in the classics and military history compels him to take his readers or listeners on comparative trips from the present to the distant past. This wide ranging historical knowledge is becoming rare in this age of highly specialized job niches and sound bite dissemination of news.

However, Hanson’s crystal ball forecast of P Trump’s final “tragic days” is only a wild guess–even for Victor. Nobody can predict with much certainty what will happen in 5 years. If P Trump is unburdened by Special Counsels, Impeachment and other insidious and evil Dem and Deep state hoaxes and frame ups etc, I suspect he will be able to present a less “vulgar, crude, petty, pitiful” and angry version of himself if he decides to. But until then, this thick skinned, frank, counter puncher Trump is likely the only person that could have lasted this long in this absurd and pernicious political and corrupt media arena.

(Note-**the post Paul Ryan FC and other Republicans have really stepped up impressively to assist him in these never ending battles)

25. 2Alpha says:

ERROR MESSAGE
    “www.youtube.com unexpectedly closed the connection.”
    I’ll look for alternatives…

26. 2Alpha says:

Victor Davis Hanson: Spygate, Impeachment & the Assault on Trump For Und… https://youtu.be/-4Gkm77usT0

27. MakeAmericaGreat says:

VDH is a brilliant, learned man with excellent insight.

Great video. Watched it all.

28. All Too Much says:

The discussion of Deep State (11:30) is powerful.

29. bearescat says:

Thank you, Sundance. That was a thought provoking interview. I disagree that Trump is a tragic figure. Hansen compares Trump to Oedipus as a savior of his people and I agree. Oedipus saves Thebes from the sphinx and Trump saves America from the swamp

However, Trump, unlike Oedipus, did not kill his Dad and marry his Mom however unwittingly. Trump has a deep religious foundation built in Norman Vincent Peale’s church and calls on pastors when he needs them. Trump makes mistakes, yes, but does not scratch out his own eyes with his dead mom/wife’s brooch.

I also disagree that Trump will not be remembered as the greatest president in American history by fair historians. I believe he is today’s Beowulf called by the Geats (deplorables) to save them from Grendel and his mom (mixture of hillery/obama/shiff/nadler/pelosi).

• Dennis Leonard says:

Very good,as I also had a problem with that view point.I think if you remember where MR Hanson works. is where he gets the notion of who will be writing the history ,he was talking about.As he will not be one of the ones doing the writing. And remember who he was talking too,not the guy on the next farm,as his reference to Oedipus.

30. JunkerGeorg says:

I’m not sure I agree with the “tragic hero” take, or at least think it is too soon to determine, but I still love VDH’s mind in general. Laugh all you want, but I also listen to older, experienced minds like a paleo-conservative like Pat Buchanan and a conservative libertarian like Ron Paul, men whose thoughts have sometimes been disregarded too much in the past by “neo-conned” Republican voters since it didn’t mesh completely with neoconservatism. I’d love to listen to all three of them be in a room together to discuss this and many other topics in terms of their historical place/relevance.

31. JunkerGeorg says:

32. Jaye says:

Excellent – well worth the hour -best hour of sane discussion you will come across. Brilliant man.

33. Doppler says:

I give highest marks to his take on the deep state, identity politics, Liz Warren, the six white Dems left standing and hoist as privileged racists by their own petard, the hubris/nemesis take applied to Schiff and others, also his explanation of the Progressive Project. Fascinating interview, and a good one to share with your not-yet-red-pilled friends and family who know at some level they’ve been worshipping a false god. Thanks, Sundance. I hope someday you’ll stand on stage with President Trump at the largest rally ever and receive the public recognition and applause that you (or you all) deserve.

34. Faye says:

I enjoyed the video up until the last few minutes in which Victor says President Trump will leave a “tragic figure” because he is always tweeting (aka pleading? protesting?) how good he is at everything.

My gist is that President Trump is his own media (he has to be). He broadcasts immediately and factually – not to blow his own trumpet BUT to correct the poison the MSM sprays at him and their lack of reporting any of his successes. I believe he is the most transparent, honest, sincere, down-to-earth, clever President ever. He will be written up in the history books as a brilliant tactician and a revolutionary giant for good.

35. Linda K. says:

VDH is one of my favorite thinkers. He also resembles this, nohttps://www.mentalfloss.com/article/64853/15-things-you-might-not-know-about-american-gothic

36. sDee says:

Liberty vs Equality.
    Well worth the hour to watch. Hanson is one of the greatest thinkers of our time. I hope he is the one to write the history of these times.

37. sheila says:

Term Limits ! Politics should not be a career !

• Jeff says:

The other side of term limits is that all politicians become lame ducks, and can do anything they want without having to worry about getting votes. “Whattya gonna do? Vote me out? Ha!”
      Just something to consider.

38. grlangworth says:

VDH = a main man. Cannot get enough.

39. sDee says:

I took Hanson’s prospective comment that history may prove President Trump as a tragic hero, to be more a reflection on us citizenry than on Donald Trump’s persona. He used a movie script example of the old west town which inevitably casts out the very hero they brought in to save them from their self-inflicted conditions.

There are enough examples in our history, and even my lifetime, to know that when prosperity and liberty return, so will complacency about reversing the damage from the Progressives’ unrelenting assault upon the Constitutional foundations of our Republic. It is an evil that never sleeps.

Hanson is documenting cause and effect from the deep state and the globalists’designs. But they will not just give up. Much work needed to restore this constitutional republic well after Donald Trump’s second term. Are we up to it?

40. GGHD says:

Victor Davis Hanson taught college students. He’s more than just a highbrow-intellectual talking about Trump, and alluding to figures from ancient Greek literature/history. … Victor Davis Hanson also knows how to make Americans comprehend his [Hanson’s] analysis of Trump, by comparing Trump to a Rodney “I don’t get no respect!” Dangerfield character.

The comparison was done to evoke >understanding; no mocking or comedy was intended. This Video description says, “… how does the impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump evoke ancient Greek tragedy, notably the concepts of hubris and nemesis?” … Unfortunately, many of us >slept through courses on ancient Greek history, and the intellectual thought behind the beginnings of Western Civilization.
    Victor Davis Hanson reveals he (Hanson) is an excellent teacher, capable of speaking to all Americans; NOT to just other high-brow intellectuals.

41. Pingback: Victor Davis Hanson Looks At Big Picture: President Trump Undoing Progressive Agenda…. | Centinel2012

42. jx says:

Good interview. I don’t buy this “tragic hero” nonsense though.

43. Pew-Anon says:

“Tragedy” is one of those words that means something different in academia than it does in vernacular. For everyone here who is having trouble with describing Trump as a “tragic hero”, it might help to understand the specifically Classical context in which VDH is using the term. To paraphrase Aristotle, tragedy is to be understood generally as the portrayal of noble and vital acts to effect an emotional purging through pity and fear. It has more to do with form and less to do with outcome, which is the way we commonly understand it. In other words Trump is a tragic figure in the sense of performing noble and crucial acts, vital for our national existence, at great personal cost to himself, which will elicit emotions of admiration (pity) for his sacrifice and outrage (fear) at the corruption these acts expose, thus purging those who see his acts such a light. He is not a tragic figure in the sense that something bad is necessarily going to happen to him, which a later adaptation and understanding of tragedy foreign to the context in which VDH is speaking.

44. Hans says:

My professional career in many ways compares to President Trump restructuring our country.
    My job was to implement data procession in large corporations.. by restructuring/fixing areas or responsibility , identifying recalcitrant directors. I did this as a upper management employee in the corporate Org Chart. For political reasons.

Here are a few point to consider

My first rule was I only reported to the CEO.. structural changes are applied from the TOP down
    Provide Hard truths so accurate decisions could be made by the CEO. Secrecy was required for sensitive areas. Evaluate the Directors as to competence. It takes time as an outsider to evaluate the actual corporate structure as to power and control. The Organization chart does not fully reflect the actual corporate power structure

Secondly I could only have four of the five directors pissed at me at one time.. President Trump knows not everyone will love him at all times. Toes are stepped on as structural changes are made and responsiblities are re defined.

Thirdly.. beware of the Rosey Path. Directors will try to mislead you. Use you for their own interest instead of corporate interests. Talk to lower levels to determine actual facts and independent procedures. Sounds like deep state obstruction..Amb. Hill comes to mind. Facts get twisted as each level in the information chain molds the information.

Fourth. The reason for the Omega Wolf. This is the employee that takes all the blame for corporate problems but is never fired. He serves to protect and deflect.. just like mid level FBI employees still employed providing cover for Comey and others.

Fifth. I knew that once the my restructuring was done I would be let go. For me Three to four years. President Trump has started straightening out this country. Some will remember him fondly some will not.. in eight years his part of the job will be done.

IMO President Trump will get his greatest satisfaction in CREATING the SOLUTION when no one else could or would.

After all he publicly stated he would DRAIN THE SWAMP when he was running for office. Is it any surprise that the corrup establishments/press will stop at nothing . Note that he does not say Republican or Democratic swamp.

45. From a few years ago….. I’ve posted this before.

Trump’s ‘lack of decorum, dignity, and statesmanship’

By Evan Sayet

“My Leftist friends (as well as many ardent #NeverTrumpers) constantly ask me if I’m not bothered by Donald Trump’s lack of decorum. They ask if I don’t think his tweets are “beneath the dignity of the office”
    Here’s my answer:
    We Right-thinking people have tried dignity. There could not have been a man of more quiet dignity than George W. Bush as he suffered the outrageous lies and politically motivated hatreds that undermined his presidency.
    We tried statesmanship.
    Could there be another human being on this earth who so desperately prized “collegiality” as John McCain?
    We tried propriety – has there been a nicer human being ever than Mitt Romney?
    And the results were always the same. This is because, while we were playing by the rules of dignity, collegiality and propriety, the Left has been, for the past 60 years, engaged in a knife fight where the only rules are those of Saul Alinsky and the Chicago mob.
    I don’t find anything “dignified,” “collegial” or “proper” about Barack Obama’s lying about what went down on the streets of Ferguson in order to ramp up racial hatreds because racial hatreds serve the Democratic Party.
    I don’t see anything “dignified” in lying about the deaths of four Americans in Benghazi and imprisoning an innocent filmmaker to cover your tracks.
    I don’t see anything “statesman-like” in weaponizing the IRS to be used to destroy your political opponents and any dissent.
    Yes, Obama was “articulate” and “polished” but in no way was he in the least bit “dignified,” “collegial” or “proper.”
    The Left has been engaged in a war against America since the rise of the Children of the ‘60s. To them, it has been an all-out war where nothing is held sacred and nothing is seen as beyond the pale.. It has been a war they’ve fought with violence, the threat of violence, demagoguery and lies from day one – the violent take-over of the universities – till today.
    The problem is that, through these years, the Left has been the only side fighting this war. While the Left has been taking a knife to anyone who stands in their way, the Right has continued to act with dignity, collegiality and propriety.
    With Donald Trump, this all has come to an end. Donald Trump is America ’s first wartime president in the Culture War.
    During wartime, things like “dignity” and “collegiality” simply aren’t the most essential qualities one looks for in their warriors. Ulysses Grant was a drunk whose behavior in peacetime might well have seen him drummed out of the Army for conduct unbecoming.
    Had Abraham Lincoln applied the peacetime rules of propriety and booted Grant, the Democrats might well still be holding their slaves today.
    Lincoln rightly recognized that, “I cannot spare this man. He fights.”
    General George Patton was a vulgar-talking.. In peacetime, this might have seen him stripped of rank. But, had Franklin Roosevelt applied the normal rules of decorum then, Hitler and the Socialists would barely be five decades into their thousand-year Reich.
    Trump is fighting. And what’s particularly delicious is that, like Patton standing over the battlefield as his tanks obliterated Rommel’s, he’s shouting, “You magnificent bastards, I read your book!”
    That is just the icing on the cake, but it’s wonderful to see that not only is Trump fighting, he’s defeating the Left using their own tactics. That book is Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals – a book so essential to the Liberals’ war against America that it is and was the playbook for the entire Obama administration and the subject of Hillary Clinton’s senior thesis.
    It is a book of such pure evil, that, just as the rest of us would dedicate our book to those we most love or those to whom we are most indebted, Alinsky dedicated his book to Lucifer.
    Trump’s tweets may seem rash and unconsidered but, in reality, he is doing exactly what Alinsky suggested his followers do. First, instead of going after “the fake media” — and they are so fake that they have literally gotten every single significant story of the past 60 years not just wrong, but diametrically opposed to the truth, from the Tet Offensive to Benghazi, to what really happened on the streets of Ferguson, Missouri — Trump isolated CNN.. He made it personal.
    Then, just as Alinsky suggests, he employs ridicule which Alinsky described as “the most powerful weapon of all.”… Most importantly, Trump’s tweets have put CNN in an untenable and unwinnable position. … They need to respond.
    This leaves them with only two choices. They can either “go high” (as Hillary would disingenuously declare of herself and the fake news would disingenuously report as the truth) and begin to honestly and accurately report the news or they can double-down on their usual tactics and hope to defeat Trump with twice their usual hysteria and demagoguery.
    The problem for CNN (et al.) with the former is that, if they were to start honestly reporting the news, that would be the end of the Democratic Party they serve.
    It is nothing but the incessant use of fake news (read: propaganda) that keeps the Left alive.
    Imagine, for example, if CNN had honestly and accurately reported then-candidate Barack Obama’s close ties to foreign terrorists (Rashid Khalidi), domestic terrorists (William Ayers & Bernardine Dohrn), the mafia (Tony Rezko) or the true evils of his spiritual mentor, Jeremiah Wright’s church.
    Imagine if they had honestly and accurately conveyed the evils of the Obama administration’s weaponizing of the IRS to be used against their political opponents or his running of guns to the Mexican cartels or the truth about the murder of Ambassador Christopher Stevens and the Obama administration’s cover-up.
    So, to my friends on the Left — and the #NeverTrumpers as well — do I wish we lived in a time when our president could be “collegial” and “dignified” and “proper”? Of course I do.
    These aren’t those times. This is war. And it’s a war that the Left has been fighting without opposition for the past 50 years.
    So, say anything you want about this president – I get it – he can be vulgar, he can be crude, he can be undignified at times. I don’t care. I can’t spare this man. He fights for America!”

Yup

• NC Patriot says:

When they speak of lack of dignity—-did they watch him with the Queen, or with the Arab leaders or with Xi Jin Ping in China?——or anywhere else on the world stage.? NO ONE upstages Donald and Melania !

46. Great interview. Worth each and every one of those 67 minutes of your time. The Epoch Times is my go to media outlet.

47. rashomon says:

Kudos to American Thought Leader and The Epoch Times for issuing news as it is meant to be presented. Hopefully, they will birth other media holding to the same clarity.

48. bluenova1971 says:

Excellent interview, sd…thank you!

Treepers, set aside an hour, grab a cocktail or coffee and watch this video. Hanson is a classical intellectual talent and explains what he calls the “Progressive Program” from its very inception in the 19th century through today and what he calls its systematic destruction by PDJT.

49. I just watched this for the second time. So much meat there. I sent it to the person I know who recently walked away, but still has a lot of liberal beliefs and concerns about Trump. Don’t know if she will watch it as she prefers to read…wish there was a transcript. (Like me, she does not own a tv).

50. Hey VDH Americans will make sure they never make such a stink again. It’s getting to be time to use our arms.