Fresh from the same Dept. of Energy and EPA that gave us: toilets that don’t flush; light bulbs that don’t light; dishwashers that don’t wash; plant-based fuel that burns like carrots; and paper straws that dissolve in liquid….  Now we get this:

[…] Energy Star, the federal program from the DOE and the Environmental Protection Agency, said the coolest you should keep your home is 78 degrees when you’re home.

When you’re at work or away, the program recommends setting it at 85 degrees. When you’re sleeping, Energy Star said to set the thermostat at 82 degrees. (link)

Setting the thermostat at 82° at night is well recognized grounds for divorce. I swear these administrative state progressives are going to have us force-fed sustainable algae cakes if this keeps up.

Some journalist-type person published these new cooling standards on twitter, and the responses are quite funny.

“I see we’ve decided to give up on sleeping. Or going home for that matter. Or having pets that aren’t native to the rain forest.” (link)

“I’ve already embraced a dying Earth, so I keep my central air between 67-72 at all times.” (link)

“I’d be laying there making a giant sweat angel in my bed” (link)

“New report shows these as the recommended temps for smelling like an onion.” (link)

I have no idea how my ancestors survived deserts. If the thermostat in my house showed a number that started with an 8 I would call the police” (link)

But seriously…. given the track record for current energy efficient standards and how they end up being actually applied to life (toilets, dishwashers, lightbulbs etc.) it’s darned frightening to think the Feds believe 78° (when home), 85° (when away) and 82° (when sleeping) is a reasonable cooling standard.

Insta-misery; aka living in hell.

Watch out California….  Pretty soon you might not have options when the proletariat mandates the installation of compliance regulators inside the A/C system.

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, energy, Glo-Bull Warming, Occupy Type Moonbats, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

518 Responses to Big Govt Publishes New Cooling Standards: Thermostat Should Be Set to 82 Degrees When Sleeping…

1. Risasi says:

“I swear these administrative state progressives are going to have us force-fed sustainable algae cakes if this keeps up.“

…or soylent green, to cut back on beef/chicken consumption.

2. George Hicks says:

As a young lad in the late 50’s, early 60’s we didn’t have AC in the house, neither did anyone in the neighborhood, it wasn’t affordable.
    I remember those hot summer nights laying in bed with no covers, all the windows open and a fan blowing hot air, it took forever to fall asleep. I wonder how my father felt having to go to work without getting a decent night’s sleep – productivity must have suffered on hot summer nights.
    On brutally hot days, my mother would drop my sister and I off at the movie theater for the afternoon.
    At some point, we had a wall AC unit installed in the den and then a window unit in my parent’s bedroom.
    When I got an AC unit in my own room, it was bliss. My mother won a 12″ B&W TV in a raffle and gave it to me for my bedroom, I was livin’ like a king!

• booger71 says:

We were lucky, we had an attic fan that did a pretty good jobs of bringing the somewhat cooler air through my bedroom window. I have been troubled by allergies and hay fever my whole life, so all summer my head would be stopped up. Of course right after I got my own place after high school (had air conditioning) my dad put in central air.

• GB Bari says:

Same here. Grew up in a brick row house in Baltimore. No AC. The brick walls heated up during the day then released that heat half of the night.. was like living in an oven.

• Roy Baty says:

It wasn’t that bad, we had 3 boys in the same room, no A/C, the human body can adapt to much worse. I keep my house 79 most of the summer in MD, sleep in my basement at night where it’s cooler, at my age could not handle 82 in the bedroom at night.

• sedge2z says:

We lived in a brick house with no A/C.
        After work, we’d come home, get a cold beverage, then
        go outside and hose down the house…..Steamy, but
        definitely cooled down the hot bricks.

• Chimpy says:

When I was a kid, I slept in the basement next to the washer and dryer during the hottest months in Wisconsin. Unlike the hot in-air conditioned house upstairs, it was nice and cool and I slept like a baby. My older sister was scared of the basement and she opted to sweat it out in her bedroom. Poor her.

• Jake says:

Heat did not bother me when I was younger. I would be out all day in it.
      What changed is high blood pressure meds that cause heat intolerance. I need the air conditioning.
      Here is an excellent article on how lack of air conditioning kills.
      ENVIRONMENTALISTS KILLED MORE EUROPEANS THAN ISLAMIC TERRORISTS
      Daniel Greenfield

• ATheoK says:

You have basically described why Southerners were considered lazy.
      Sleep in urban areas of the South, basically Dixie and lower, was near impossible from late April into October.
      To keep from being constantly soaked in sweat, you didn’t rush or force anything.

Resident in the Northern states frequently encountered the same conditions during heat waves from June into September.

The same here. My Mother bought a big air conditioner and had it installed in a wall in the living room.
      The entire family slept in that room during heat waves.

At 82° during periods of high heat, I do not sleep. If I do sleep a few hours it isn’t restful.

3. California Joe says:

President Trump should fire everyone at EPA who is involved with this crap!

4. Karl Freitag says:

Here in Central Florida, the average AC is 76 in the day, 74 at night. This is according to a recent survey on Facebook.

• maggiemoowho says:

That’s still way to hot in my opinion. Anything higher than 65 at night, makes for a sleepless night. I don’t even use our swimming pool because it’s to hot to go outside here in Orlando.😄

• luke says:

Yea and if you adjust it more than a couple degrees it kicks on higher compressor workloads. That leads to trouble for your unit and utility bill.

• luke says:

• Nuthinmuffin says:

I bought a new a c unit a few years back…I invested to save energy $$$$ and enable me to keep the temp at 73 24-7. I live in Florida and anything over 74 is grounds for execution..theirs

• Well now, why would “face”book be doing a survey on thermostat settings?

Yeah. That’s why… “they” never stop screwing with us.

They will next term.

• underwhelmingposter says:

And the humidity is 95%! The size of the units in Florida are larger than in other states because of the energy needed just to dehumidify, much less get to a reasonable temperature.

5. maggiemoowho says:

A war on women is all this is. You want to see another Civil War in this country, take control away of our thermostats🥵. Let the Democrats live by these rules, it will get them ready for their final resting place, I hear it’s hot in Hell🤣

6. Vince says:

Air conditioning causes demand spikes in the electrical grid, which can’t be met by solar or wind. So the choice has obviously already been made to get rid of A/C, because they have already made the choice to go to solar and they are not taking it back.

• signfollies says:

But I can hear the promises now: “If you like your air conditioner, you can keep your air conditioner…”

• underwhelmingposter says:

Solar shifts the demand from daytime to night time. During the day when the solar is functioning, you can power most of your household needs. At night when businesses are shut down, you now use the grid (utility) for your power. It is off peak so you save on a per kilowatt basis. So solar does shift demand. Wind is a different story and I do not know anything either way about it. The turbines must feed to a substation which then distributes to the end users. As such there is no demand shift.

7. This is SO GREAT for every BLUE STATE!

We can TRIGGER Twitter to DOX any non-compliant Prog for being a FAKE Progressive.

We can PICKET & BOYCOTT every non-compliant Blue-State Restaurant
    … and Hollywood Theater

DOE and EPA can FINE every non-compliant NBA-NFL Arena inspecting Sky Boxes FIRST.

We can SET the STANDARD in every Federal Welfare Office
    … and Facility handling Illegal Aliens.

Inspectors can trigger DE-FUNDING of every non-compliant Government Office
    … not to mention School Systems, Law Firms, Tech Giants and NGOs receiving any Federal $$$
    … with Inspections starting in Sanctuary States and Cities
    … where they’ll be tied up with Weekly Re-Inspections of Violators through 2024.

God Bless you, Rick Perry and Andrew Wheeler, for doing your part to end Blue-State Warming.

• POTUS can then announce after his re-election, he’ll TERMINATE this 2-Year TEST of the D-rats’ Green New Deal in states that VOTE OUT its ADVOCATES.

• Dutchman says:

With “Smart readers”, don’t NEED inspectors. They can tell which appliances your using, and in the case of A/C, what the ‘demand’is i.e. what your thermostat is set at.

Solar IS good, for going OFF the grid, and telling these idiots to STUFF it.

• Can’t wait for the next D-rat Debate … instant 82° the moment someone dozes off.

• underwhelmingposter says:

Solar energy and passive heating and cooling have been used here in AZ!

However, there is no back-up. If you are off the grid completely you need lots of batteries, unlike just for daytime use.

And if you want a power line near you “just in case” you will pay a monthly fee for that, even if you use NO electricity.

• Dutchman says:

Very familiar. I don’t need “lots” of batteries, have travel trailer. And, in park, so no charge for being ‘hooked up’, they only charge for what I use.
            Have a step van, (former USPS P-30) set up as a camper, so has storage batteties fir,when boondocking. Parked next to trailer, gives additiinal storage capacity, which isn’t needed at the trailer, when we are camping.
            Our climate is,HIGH desert. Today was 98 degrees, which isn’t bad.

I still need to complete system, but have,ALMOST all the components I need.

• luke says:

Good plan…I like that strategy sir.

• luke says:

Good plan…I like that strategy sir.

8. Genie says:

That’s it, I’m moving to Greenland.

9. TreeClimber says:

NOT ONLY NO BUT HELL NO. It is proven unsafe for children under 4 and adults over 70 to be in 80+ degree temps for more than 15 minutes, 85+ IS DEADLY. I will personally kill anyone who puts my tiny humans at risk by trying to impose these “standards” on my home, I will impose those standards on various inconvenient body parts of theirs!

• jebg46 says:

And I had to sign an agreement from the breeder of my 2 Shih Tzu pups that I would provide AC their entire lives. I have central AC in NH and keep it at 72-76F. Heating 70-74.

• AMK says:

UGA, an English bulldog, is the University of Georgia mascot and has an air conditioned dog home. During football, he sits on a blanketed ice block for the hot early season games!!!

Apparently, they also want to kill short snouted (sic?) dog breeds.

10. EPA was given life by Nixon.
    Hell yes he had to resign.

11. flatlandgoober says:

The correct temperature in YOUR HOUSE is whatever YOU are willing to pay for.
    EPA can pound sand.

12. Landslide says:

Thanks, Sundance, for posting the Twitter responses!!! I read them out loud to my husband and could barely get through them because I was laughing so hard!! It’s 103 down here in Texas and I guarantee you that if Rick Perry is anywhere in his home state tonight, he’s got his AC cranked down like the rest of us! Someone notify him on Twitter—probably not even aware of these ridiculous suggestions.

13. Ray Runge says:

I live in Houston, Texas. 100 degrees and feels like 120. 80 + degrees at night and 99% humidity.

Texas has ample natural gas and competitive electrical rates via large purchasers of volume contracts to be supplied at a later date. My thermostat is 75 during the day and 69 degrees at 9 pm on. Last months electric bill was $207 for a 2200 Square foot home.

14. Amanda says:

This is going to hurt menopausal women and people who live in hot states where the temperature is 110 degrees from weeks on end.

• It won’t hurt anyone who exercises their Creator given rights to FREEDOM AND LIBERTY.

To HELL with the scumbucket burrowcrat brigade. They are nothing but people that should NOT be employed by “government”.

They are over half the problem because of their numbers.

15. MAGADJT says:

16. William Schneider says:

I for one grew up without AC and still do not use it up here in Portland Oregon during summer. I use fans and we do just fine. We also save a ton of money. Now when in south I did use AC a bit more and even there I used just fans at night. People need to get tougher and stay light.

17. thehawkeyehoneypot says:

This reminds me of megan markle & prince harry only having 2 kids for the environment. Those same two hypocrites were just on a private jet for a small “holiday” last weekend from their newly 3 million dollar renovated house. I cant imagine the nerve. It also implies william & kate & drunk w power & energy consumption having so many kids.

18. beachbum31 says:

please clap without clapping crowd

19. KAG2020 says:

82 seems a little warm in the winter….

20. Orson says:

You forgot my favorite. Hot Water Heaters that don’t heat and give piss poor water pressure.

21. Fredericka I. Thompson says:

These numbskulls are trying to get us all to participate in “global warming,” aka climate change! In Montana we’d have to keep our windows closed to keep temps that high in a 24-hr. cycle. I thought Trump was cleaning house at these agencies …

• Dutchman says:

So many agencies, so little time. Think about this, not faulting him at all, but as a statement on where we are;
      He brags, or touts that after 40 years of nobody being able to do it, he got it done; the VA acountability act.

In that ONE agency, they had to pass a special law, so that employees stealing, abusing people etc. could be fired.

REALLY? They had to pass a Special LAW for that? And only fir ONE agency? Shouldn’t NEED a law, it should already be UNDERSTOOD, for ALL Depts. of Government.

As for PDJT getting to this, these idiots are only putting this out as a ‘recommendation, he has to focus on MANDATES first, like the rediculous “waterways of the U.S ” crapola.

They can HAVE my thermostat, when they pry it from my cold, 78 degree fingers. But first I’ll donate some semi-prescious metal to the cause.

• Term two is going to be incredibly “interesting” don’t ya know!?

We should know by now that all this SH!T from these insane burrowcrats does not go unnoticed by President Trump.

Not by a long shot…

• Dutchman says:

Yeah, cause after reelection,..
          waitforit,….He’ll have more,…
          FLEXIBILTY!

• I did wait, just so I could say yep, and not with RUSSIANS either…

So, thanks for that!

😀

• Dutchman says:

No problem, and I know you recognised the reference. Actually, with a landslide victory, the opposition discredited, he WILL have more flexibility with Russia.

Noticed that great video yesterday, showing Deplorables from all over the,World, included Russia.

Am convinced a motive for muh Russia was specifically to make it impossible for PDJT to align with Russia, in our Global fight against China.
              Putins Russia is a natural allie. He is not a Stalinist, he is a Nationalist, promotes Christianity.

• Can’t fire government union members no matter who you are.

• Dutchman says:

Oh, you CAN. McCabe got fired.
          Even farther down, in the civil service ranks, you CAN.

However, they can appeal and appeal. Remember McCabe and,Stroxz have reportedly skipped, or forgone the standard dispute resolution process, to take it directly to court.
          They can drag the,appeal process out, forever and make it far more expensive than its worth, in most cases.

So, not really disagreeing with you. Its the PROCESS. Ironically, originally put in place to PREVENT ’embedding’.

That is, ONE of the reasons was to PREVENT an incoming Administration from firing career employees, and replacing them with political hacks.
          Obama turned that around, by having political appointees TRANSFER to ‘civil service’ (career positions), called ’embedding’.
          Anyway, PDJT has changed the law, regarding ONE Dept; Veterans Admin.
          Either needs to amend the law, to apply to ALL government employees, or write and pass a NEW law; Federal Government Employees Accountability Act.

So, whether you work in Dept of Ag, or Food stamps, or IRS. ANY Dept. If you are violating policy/procedure, rules/regs, or the LAW, there IS a process in place where you have a fair hearing, and are TERMINATED.

• That would be great.
            I spent a lot of years working around public sector entities and got to observe their behavior up close and speak to employees one on one. I was working closely with the city and County of San Francisco when the union took over. The only Fed union I worked directly with was the NTEU.
            The union gets a cut of everything. Everything.

• Dutchman says:

Yeah, I personally have long felt a certain,…disdain for Unions. They started of inheriting the history and legacy of craftsmens guilds, and that,was about maintaining and improving the quality of the work.
              The quickly devolved into socialism/conmunism, just another layer of bosses, as you say getting their cut.
              Miners, they perhaps need extra representation.
              Government workers, give me a break. We see too many instances of Union leadership working directly against the interests of the membership, and of the country.
              And really, serving no purpose for anybody.
              Never been in a union, and worked Construction and related trades for many years.

• Oh yes, there are plenty of changes that can be made. One doesn’t really need to fire “people” that were working at a phaled “government” entity that has been done away with…

Smaller government will be much better.

22. Rick Perry should know better, he’s from Texas. 82 just can’t cut it. Today it was 102 with a heat index of 116 here in East Texas.

• InAz says:

Tomorrow Phoenix, Arizona is supposed to get to 115 degrees.

107 today where I live in SE Arizona.
      Our chickens and ducks had a hard time today. We have misters all over the pen for them.

23. Mari in SC says:

Fortunately, they are recommended temps. However, this crap is why my thermostat is not connected to the internet because I don’t want anyone or any group to be able to access it.

On the other hand. I live alone and have awesome ceiling fans in the bedrooms and office. I keep my thermostat set between 81 and 84 depending on what I am doing and if I am alone. Right now, at bedtime, it is set to 83 and it is fine. However, if there are guests, especially overnight, it is set to accommodate them and is usually lower. Why set it this high? Two eeasons: First, it is comfortable to me. Second, it is my money paying the bill.

The three cats find their own comfort zone and don’t dem tho be suffering at all. Heck, the one would stay on the screen porch all day no matter the temp if I would let him. I made him come in the other day when the temp was 95 and the feels like was 122.

24. maggiemoowho says:

You know you have the best sleeping temperature when you get out of bed and a chill hits you so hard, it makes your teeth clatter and you can’t move for a few seconds until it passes, but it comes right back as soon as the slightest bit of air hits you🌬🥶. The kind of chills you get when you step out of a hot tube while there is snow on the ground and forgot your towel☃️. Those type of chills, so, so good for sleeping😄👍.

25. mr.piddles says:

“Don’t Tread On Me”… more like “Don’t Sweat On Me”.

As I write, AC is at 71… and that’s a tick too high, TBH. Fan is in the ON position… not auto… ON. Fan stays ON throughout the day and into the night. I might turn it off around 12-1AM… but I usually forget… which is perfectly fine with me because I like it on the cool side. Poochie’s favorite spot: sprawled out on a wide-open vent in the family room. My kinda dog. Living in the Northeast, the AC only has to really crank for a couple months per year, really, so I feel that it averages out. If not, I don’t care.

In the winter, if I can convince Wifey that 68 is a good number, then we go with that. So I think I should get some Temperature Offset Credits there. If not, I don’t care. Does that make me a bad person? Guess what… I don’t care if that makes me a bad person.

• Yep, I’m with ya. I’ve been fresh out of give a *%#* for years and years when it comes to stuff like this. The plate on my Vette says so & people love it.

I demand to experience LIBERTY before my demise & my odds increased significantly in November 2016, .

26. HickTick says:

Call me when Congress can work in August and they have the thermostats to all the Federal
    Buildings set at 82 , Call me when you get the 82 , in all the prisons I pay for , Lets see
    82 on Broadway in a theatre , They could do a test on that big FBI building , I live in South Carolina where we run the AC on Christmas Day .

• Dutchman says:

I suspect the FBI main building windows don’t open. So, pick a day now, in August, disconnect the phone lines, lock the doors, turn the A/C off.

Oh, since he likes hanging around his ex employer so much, wait till Stroxz goes in.

Lets find out if its true that FBI agents don’t sweat.

• mr.piddles says:

Speaking of Congress… when AOC solves the Cow Farts problem, then perhaps I will consider adjustments to my personal temperature preferences and requirements. Not until then.

• 1stgoblyn says:

I can’t remember the exact number, either 68 or 72, that the thermostats are REQUIRED to be set at in federal buildings that have computers. Since everything is now done by computers, I would imagine that would mean all federal buildings? Have to keep those machine cool to keep them from malfunctioning.

27. jeans2nd says:

Well gee wiz, with our electric prices soaring every month, those A/C temps are not far from what we can afford anyway.
    But I’ll be dadgummed if anyone makes me do it. Thermostats down as of now!

But do put me down for a resounding yes on SJWs monitoring the thermostats of the UniParty.

28. Newt Love says:

In 1903, a young engineer named Willis Carrier invented air conditioning and the dehumidifier. He should be Beatified.

29. mr.piddles says:

Speaking of Federal Regulation Nonsense. Anyone ever have a CFL blow a capacitor or whatever and literally flame out? I have two pendulums in the kitchen that take CFLs. First of all, they’re supposed to last like 3,000 years… uh… not quite. I put a bulb in there… 6 months, tops. So I take the bulb out and look at it, and there’s burn marks all over the plastic housing. So I look online, you know… “so… hey guys… what’s up with the burn marks?” And I see posts from folks talking about their CFL units flaming out. One guy calls the CFL company and asks the person on the other end of the line “so… uh… are flames supposed to shoot out of these things, or what?” To which he claims to have gotten the reply: “yeah, that happens sometimes, it’s totally normal”. At which point I realize: I have a bunch of cheap Chinese-manufactured crap electrical parts plugged into my light fixtures. So let’s just say that at this point I use those pendulums sparingly… as in: I turn them on, use them for my specific purpose, then turn them off. I survived a house fire. I don’t need any more of that crap, thank you very much. Anyway… thermostats…

• Bendix says:

The CFLs last longer if you don’t turn them off and on too much.
      You know, if you actually use them to see when you need to see. you are doing it wrong.

• cthulhu says:

I’ve found they work well as porch lights on 24/7. Otherwise……not so much. If you want some real fun, check out the recommended decontamination procedures should you ever be so unfortunate as to break one — and be sure to keep your isolation suit handy.

• By now there’s an LED bulb for that. And you can turn them off an on ALL YOU WANT.

Damn burrowcrats are as bad as lawyers.

Sorry lawyers, I have three that aren’t politicians and really like them.

Probably because they aren’t politicians and are all anti-illiberal. 😀

30. InAz says:

After central air conditioning was invented and started becoming more common place, my paternal grandmother refused to have it installed in her home……in Houston, Texas.
    She also refused to have air conditioning in her car and her shop. My father and his siblings agreed to share the cost of buying and installation of the unit and pay the electric bill for her home and shop.

She needed air conditioning because she had major health issues. She said she grew up without it and everyone survived and it made people tough… therefore she did not need it.

I remember taking showers and never getting dry…..clean clothes sticking while trying to get dressed. Mosquitos as big as house flys.
    Every time she went to the store we went with her to get cooled down for a little bit. I was always glad when night came because it cooled down a little.

The street she lived on is now full of businesses. The beautiful neighborhood is gone, old trees gone.

31. JenMG says:

Talk about grounds for divorce is spot on!! My DH lets me turn down our thermostat to 64 degrees and occasionally will not complain if I leave our bedroom window open if 64 is too warm….his understanding is a side benefit of making things work and finding joy in life for 30 years. But even if he were a tyrant who in the hell would be able to function in a hot house of 82 degrees.

• mr.piddles says:

“who in the hell would be able to function in a hot house of 82 degrees”

Oh, the irony… 82 degrees would make me want to lie down and take a nap. But 82 would be too hot to nap comfortably. Solution? Turn the AC down to 70, of course. Problem solved. You get the nap AND the comfy cool dwelling!

32. trialbytruth says:

I here by decree that all Epa And DOE employees must wear three piece suits at their office AC units set to 78 and all automotive air conditioning be removed from doe and epa cars… that is all….

33. Perot Conservative says:

Wait for reusable condoms.

34. Texian says:

82 degrees at night.. They can kiss my ass..

Mountain very angry.. Big smoke.. Tribe must sacrifice air condition..

Some things never change…

• Texian says:

In all seriousness..

For you global-warming-climate-change-ice-age folks out there.. As well as your non global-warming-climate-change-ice-age folks out there..

If you really want to make a difference.. Re-discover Nikola Tesla’s “Free Energy” invention that drew power from the electromagnetic field around planet Earth..

This is not a “Left” or “Right” thing.. Or a “Liberal” or “Conservative” thing..

It’s a “Humankind” thing..

It’s something government and corporations can’t buy, package, regulate, or sell..

The Real.. Free Clean Energy..

35. Perot Conservative says:

My ex, a big liberal who said she was conservative when younger, went from the State of Cal to the Feds. She gets …

– they subsidize her mass transit
    – telecommutes 3 days a week
    – if she works more than 8 hours, she banks comp time
    – generous health care

On top of making way more than she did for the State, same job, less responsibility, more pay.

Another friend got a Fed retirement after 10 years.

36. Deplorable Canuck says:

Well, if we were forced to leave our stat at 85% at night by means of internal settings, my wife would personally sledge hammer the stat off the wall and use the wires to by pass it. She is mid menopause!!

37. MamaTried says:

Forget the pronouns we prefer (she/hers) the left are so into… I think we should all identify ourselves by our lowest/highest preferred indoor temps when we introduce ourselves. / S

68/73 MamaTried says goodnight & good-luck!

38. wtd says:

I’m increasingly feel validated about my intuitive concerns regarding persistent promotions by local energy providers attempting to bribe customers to allow “voluntary” placement of smart meters on our homes.

39. I have a recommendation for these EPA burrowcrats, but I cannot type it here lest I incur the wrath of Ad rem.

Never incur the wrath of Ad rem!!

L 😀 L

40. auntiefran413 says:

When I read Sundance’s headline, I laughed hysterically. My li’l ol’ apartment is kept at 73 during the DAY; at night (and I did raise it one degree a few weeks ago), it’s set at 67. I can hear them coming to get me!!! But I’ll be comfortable. These are not new settings; that’s what we’ve been living with ever since we had our first central air! AND IT’S GONNA STAY THAT WAY!

41. jessetmims says:

Re “(toilets, dishwashers, lightbulbs etc.)…

Don’t forget gasoline containers from which it’s virtually impossible to pour ANY liquid; including, gasoline!

42. mtk says:

Enter IoT thermostats.

What is next is the opposite of cooling, that of heating your home.
    Dead winter, nothing above 57°, away at work 50° and at nite 54°. Problem, that is family room temperatures.

Down in the basement up against the far corner wall, were the water pipes enter the home, the equilibrium temperature gradient of whole home results in frozen water pipes. Or up in the attic, where the same equilibrium temperature gradients results in ice crystals in the vent pipe(s) of the plumbing.

So just keep embracing the administrate state’s technology.

Go against the Govt’s engery standard guidelines and your IoT thermostat just reports you for a nice carbon tax.

(Sarcasm to follow)
    Someone needs to inject into the progressive movement the idea, “How to pay for the free stuff?”, is to go after the 5th Ave marketing and the PR economy. Who needs 60 million dollar endorsements to the Michael Jordan’s of World, that money could be better spent on progressive social justice.

I don’t know, maybe the resident Russian expert Neillie Ohr could better explain the ideological additude of Marxism towards advertising capital.

This I know, if that type of thinking became openly main stream with the Bernie bros movement. Watch how quickly the MSM moves to throw ’em under the bus.

43. Magabear says:

Heck, just move into your car……it’s likely cooler in there at night than 82 degrees. 😄

44. Charles Martel's Ghost says:

I live in South Texas and I have this to say:
    **** them and the horse they rode in on.

45. Robert Green says:

I’m in CA and it’s 84 in my house now. I have fans but no AC. Can’t sleep with it 82 even with a fan. I stay awake till it drops to 80.

46. CarolynH says:

I live in AZ. I don’t even set it at 82 in the daytime. I also have solar on my roof and I’ll set my thermostat where I please and at night I please to set it at 76.

• ooicu812 says:

Solar is awesome when the bill comes but, you still have to pay rent on the solar units. God forbid if you get a leak in your roof on the solar side. I live in AZ too. We’ve had a really good year for temps. Last year I was unbearable.

47. CarolynH says:

BTW they are already so restrictive in CA – people who have to use CPAP or oxygen at night have to have a signed note from their doctor for their apartment managers and the electric company – this is because CA has been so crazy they not only haven’t upgraded their dams, but they are buying more and more of their power from out of State,

48. tonyE says:

The problem in Calimexistan is that the Commies making the rules live in San Franciskovich and you need the furnace running in the winter because it’s cold in that hell of a city.

Naturally, the Commies in Sacramentograd and the Hollywood intelligentsia don’t give a hoot. They live in 72F comfort because they are part of the Inner Party.

We keep our thermostat at 78F during the summer days and because we live by the Coast our nights usually dip into the 60s so a window fan in the evening will cool the house down. Both of us having lived in Pacific Islands prior to Calimexistan sort of acclimated us for this, and it’s really dry around here so it’s not too bad.

But, I make a point of flushing our 1.6L toilet five times.. in honor of Gov. Moonbeam Brown:

“if it’s yellow, it’s mellow. If it’s Brown, flush it down”…

And I have a GREEN LAWN. Love it.

Add thermostats to the long list of stuff we have to buy in Vegas… pate de fois gras, weapons, ammo, large butane tanks for refilling the cigar torch, cigars, halogen PAR16, thermostats….

• tonyE says:

Typo… I mean to write that it’s COLD in San Franciskovich in the SUMMER. Heck, it’s colder up there in August than December.

49. OmegaManBlue says:

The dumbest thing about this is they want you to raise temperature even more than during the day when you sleep. You want a lower temperature for good sleep.

50. ooicu812 says:

I remember when Bush Sr. was president. They were screaming gas shortage back then. He wanted everyone in the winter to turn their thermostats to 68 I lived in Utah at the time. I skied in warmer temps than that. I now live in AZ. When I was away all day at work I turned my thermostat to 85-86. When you’re walking in from outside temps of 115-118, 85 feels pretty cool. An over head fan in every room is awesome and can save you 40-50% on electric. My thermostat stays at 80 and it’s just right as long as my overhead fan is on. The last 3 winters in AZ I haven’t had to turn the heat on. And yes, it can get very cold during winter in AZ. Below freezing. Barely. Good insulation and double or triple pane windows will also save you at least 30-40%.

• covfefe999 says:

It’s probably only because of low humidity (I presume you have that in AZ) that 80 feels OK to you. If you were in a more humid area 80 would be suffocating at night.