Quarterly Reminder – Guidelines for Comments…

“Seek first to understand, then to be understood”.

1.) First, please READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD – and the full context of any discussion thread you wish to participate in. Skipping to the comments to express an opinion without reading the content of the discussion is not helpful.

Often, unfortunately very often, we find many of the points injected into comments are already outlined in the construct of the thread itself. -or- Questions asked while the answers are in the primary post.

2.) STAY ON TOPIC – please do not post something unrelated to the specific matter and content of the thread subject. There is a ALWAYS a daily open thread available for any subject you feel should get attention. Never place unrelated, “O/T”, or “Off Topic” comments on a thread unrelated to the topic. It is not ok to say: “sorry, O/T but”… or any iteration therein.

3.) NARROW YOUR THOUGHTS – Quality beats quantity. Please construct your comments to target specific areas and not broad generalizations about the discussion topic at hand. If you have four or five disconnected points, break them up into individual comments.

4.) AVOID GENERALIZATIONSDon’t speak in riddles. Words like “he, she, they, it, them” should rarely be used. Spell out “who” using the name, spell out who “they” are at the beginning of every sentence in your paragraph; so that there is clarity as to who you are talking about. Avoid using acronyms.

5.) BLOCK PARAGRAPHSDo not post huge blocks of text. Think of the reader, and modify your presentation for understanding, not for exclaiming. Do not write to yourself, you are writing to others, so please structure your presentations such that other people can grasp and enjoy. NEVER post massive blocks of text without paragraph breaks.

Do not post huge blocks of text

6.) PARAGRAPHS – Should NEVER be longer than two or three sentences taking up three to five standard lines of text. Again, you are writing to be understood, the emphasis should be on the reader comprehending what you are sharing.

Do not post huge blocks of text

7.) SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION – This is not school and we do not demerit for poor spelling, nor do we allow anyone to call others out for the same. However, if your construct is too poorly written the context is lost and important details can be missed. Read the comment carefully before you send it. Does it make sense?

8.) TIME – Everyone ‘s time is valuable. Some of our discussion threads are 500 to 1,000+ comments long. We try to limit the comments to 500 and then post another related thread, but with some research threads it is challenging to do so because we do not want to break a continuity.

9) CITATIONS – There’s a big difference between an opinion and an assertion of fact. Feel free to provide opinions; however, if you are making an assertion of fact please attach a citation therein for review. Also, do not post links without an explanation for the reason, purpose and content that is behind the link.

10.) THOUSANDS ARE WATCHING – For every person writing a comment, there are easily 100,000 or more reading lurkers on every discussion thread. Do not write anything you would not say in your own living room. Do not disparage our conversation with vulgarity, profanity, or any expressions of any “ism”.

Troll11.) MODERATION / FILTERING THE HATE – Because of our honest approach at seeking facts and truth, and openly discussing various analytical theories along the way, we are bombarded by those with ulterior motives which include:

• Intentional efforts to distract
  • Intentional diatribes to affix labels to our objectives
  • Intentional expressions of rabid hate, vulgarity, and threats.
  • Trolling and professional obfuscation.
  • Concern Trolling as a tool of distraction and derailing conversation.
  • Psy-ops and Intentional Efforts to diminish fact-finding.

We do our earnest best to stop the agenda-hoard at the moderation gates, however sometimes they get through. If you see something untoward say something. When a new comment surfaces that we view is only presented to argue, we watch carefully – but we also are not perfect. You can help. Feel free to alert us via email.

12.) MANNERS MATTER – Simple kindnesses and courtesy should always be present in tone and content. When writing, ask yourself before you hit send: does this add value?

13.) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS – Ever. The fastest way to lose commenting privileges is to ridicule, bully or personally attack another person’s opinion or comment. Unfortunately people, often good people, let their passion interfere with good manners and personal judgement. If you cannot be polite or respectful, pause – and – do not comment.

14.) TONE and HONESTY – Often the information and research CTH provides is about challenges we face and/or events that are hidden from larger review. It can be frustrating to see the scale of corruption at times. However, you control how that information is absorbed by you. The truth doesn’t care about our feelings. Try to keep an even keel and optimistic disposition.

SUMMARY: The Tree House community has historically accomplished a lot. Through exhaustive research and analysis our accuracy and reputation for truthful fact-finding, regardless of where it leads, is well regarded. Retain that distinction of intellectual armament.

We are The Conservative Tree House, not because of political affiliation, but rather because the word “conservative” expresses our outlook. We would rather be deep, than wide; we would rather be honest, than popular; we avoid semantics in favor of accurately presenting both intention and meaning.

We are bold in our willingness to go into conversational places where others do not, and we are brave enough to stand firm for principles which are time tested.

We would rather advertise our outlook, so the viewer can understand our perspective on a particular subject, than deceptively claim we are something else and deliver an inherently biased view. The entire spectrum of the MSM is based on the latter.

Every reader knows where we stand on any given issue, and our opinions -while they may be unpopular- are based on solid research and analytical insight into the subject matter at hand. This is why our predictive analysis is routinely more accurate than others.

Lastly, this Treehouse is a conversation. Hopefully, just like sitting on a porch with friends.

Because the “conversation” is the ends and not the means, this approach inherently means YOU are important:

[Remember] …”However each of us got here, it’s probably a fact that we have the turmoil of those storms in common, perhaps some unease that we could share and always, we also find fresh ground to cover from day to day.

We’re developing valuable relationships as we trust one another in our community in the woods. The chatting in the branches encourages, strengthens and equips for some serious walking.

We think the Treehouse is a good armory for those who doing long distance walking for the sake of our nation. We hope you’ll think so, too. Find yourself a good branch….or just pull up a rock to the campfire”.

Wolverines faithfully patrol the perimeter.

Please be respectful.

This entry was posted in Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to Quarterly Reminder – Guidelines for Comments…

1. WSB says:

I just love all of those baby bunnies, kitties and puppies and little ones in the selfie!

Ut oh…is this off topic?

2. jello333 says:

That first picture was one I snapped just shortly after I first arrived here at the Treehouse. I wasn’t yet fully versed on the rules around here, and so I was just rambling on about… whatever. Up walks Puddy, who I thought was gonna introduce herself to me, but nope… WHAP! Right up side the head… “Jello, you seem like a nice guy, but you gotta learn the rules around here, okay?”

3. Magabear says:

That cat brought the whole posse with him!

Caption should read “wanna have a throw down?”. 😄

• Elle says:

one of my all time favorite photos. If you look very carefully, you can see Suspicious Cat watching from inside the building 🙂

• Cats have sharp claws; dogs have delicate noses. But – seriously – our dogs and cats live very well side-by-side … and the dogs always remember who’s boss. (In fact, one of our dogs chased away a neighbor’s dog which was a bit too close to one of our cats.)

• CoffeeBreak says:

My parents used to yell “You kids fight like cats and dogs!” (and, we did). But, I’d noticed that IRL, cats and dogs usually got along very well. They’re always fun to watch.

• Dutchman says:

Once had a dog and cat, living together just fine. The cat, a male was an inside/outside cat, but kept getting his feline butt kicked by the large stray Toms in the neighborhood.
            One day the dog got out, and I WISH I had a video! The cat was walking (no other word describes it) in a COCKY manner, down the sidewalk, with his ‘bud’ the dog right behind.

“We bad, we bad! Look at my bodyguard! Who wants to fight?” It was so obvious the cat was flaunting to all the Toms in the meighborhood.

4. Peoria Jones says:

Complicated business, folks.

5. MustangBlues says:

Demonstrate your brilliance by double spacing after every two lines of text, always.

Chug-a-lug Chunks of text are not read. Even if the winning lottery number is mixed in.

6. chiefworm says:

SD, your list covers all the bases yet I would like to add one qualifier in #4. If the article deals with two or three different “Roberts” (i.e. Bob), please use a last name. Some of us old military folk need all the help we can get to avoid getting confused. Thank you. That is all.

7. H.R. says:

I’m pretty sure that I have deleted more of my comments before posting than I have actually posted. Even so, I’m probably still walking the line with our ‘Mod Squad.’

I can’t do likes, so I often add a, hopefully, humorous bump to a comment, or maybe extend the thought of a commenter, to comments I like.

I have deleted quite a few long comments (more like rants) that I put a lot of thought and effort into their creation. But then I ask myself, does this further the conversation on this topic? If my answer is no, I hit Cancel Reply for a reply or Delete if it’s a primary comment.

It’s not my blog and I’m not the Hall Monitor. I’m a guest so I try to behave like a guest and not raid the refrigerator or put my feet up on the furniture, so to speak.

The mods here tolerate a good bit of chatter amongst ourselves because it’s one of the things that make CTH special. We make some friends here who we most likely will never meet. It’s all part of what makes hanging out on a branch on the TreeHouse something special. But even so, the 50th chatty comment on the same thread by the same person is a little more than friendly chatter, if you know what I mean, Vern.

My 2¢, and I probably owe y’all some change from that.

• dollops says:

And may I add, my attitude toward the “50th chatty comment” turns to “Get a room, you guys” after about the 3rd. Perhaps Treehouse and other sites could divert the back-and-forth comments into private chats which the rest of us could tune to if we were interested.

When comments run into the hundreds – even thousands – who wants to sift through piles of chaff looking for the odd sharp point.

8. BSR says:

I grade my replies from memory each time this is posted. I could have done a better job on a reply or three. The reminders do help though. ✌️

9. Bob, Esq. says:

Is this long paragraph okay? The idea of breaking it up into smaller paragraphs feels disrespectful.

PRELIMINARY STATEMENT

When in the Course of human events, it becomes optional for an American to claim all sovereign title formerly held by his Government, and deliver said unclaimed freight to the Judge Advocates General of the military originally charged with its protection, a decent respect for the covenant with our Creator—being the condition precedent for United States sovereignty—requires that he should declare the causes leading to the claim and constrains him to conclude that man has not evolved an inch from the slime that spawned him.

These truths were once self-evident; back when students were taught civics rather than social studies; before they were indoctrinated with disgust for traditional safeguards against totalitarianism; — disgust for Family, Creator and our Social Compact. While all men are created equal, they are individually endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, That among these are Life, Liberty, and that which makes the Pursuit of Happiness possible—the right of self-ownership with all its attendant duties of virtue. — That to secure these rights, mankind leaves the state of nature by ceding certain alienable rights conferring specifically enumerated powers to establish government by consent through a social compact. That the Declaration of Independence is our social compact; it is “a legal instrument, a juristic act of ultimate solemnity, effecting the most fundamental constitutional change, a change in the very source and foundation of law. … It is our one legal document on which all else rests.” It forms a Real Covenant against Tyranny as the condition precedent for the existence and exercise of sovereign power. — That whenever those entrusted with the powers of Government become destructive of these ends they effectuate an abandonment of all legitimate claim to sovereign title under the compact, leaving it as res derelictae until justice is restored through the investigation and punishment of those responsible for the treason. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be [reset] for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by [restoring] the forms to which they [were] accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is not to be wondered, that they should then rouze themselves, and endeavour to put the rule into such hands which may secure to them the ends for which government was at first erected. Such has been the patient sufferance of loyal Americans; and such is now the necessity which constrains the undersigned to challenge the honor of the United States Navy, Army, Air Force and Coast Guard Judge Advocates General in keeping their oath to defend this nation from its first and foremost enemy—Tyranny. The history of the previous presidential administration, and the seditious bureaucrats cleaving to it and its party in lieu of the Constitution, is not only a history of repeated injuries and usurpations but a treasonable design having in direct object the exercise of Tyrannical power over the people of the United States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

10. C says:

Keep going Sundance. You’re making history. Your brain will be memorialized. We’re paying attention.

11. Kalena says:

I feel privileged and honored I followed a link here over 3 years ago. It has saved me sanity. I just wish I didn’t have such high medical bills so I could show my appreciation by contributing regularly to this website.

Thank you Sundance for all your efforts and research. You are shining the light on the swamp.

12. nbkilgore says:

In other words a double you pee is looking for anything to knock you out of the ring, all prepackaged for you at BB.

13. Awesome SD. I have come across a few trolls and even had one of my comments deleted by mods. Rules are rules and without them it would be chaos. Sometimes I lurk and sometimes I comment or reply. But I’m mostly here enjoying and appreciating the conversation.

Many have been here for YEARS. But I came here – by accident – mid 2016 while (desperately) searching for PDJT places of support, many of which I had never been before. I resurrected a redundant Twitter account and one day followed a link to TCTH and here I am today. My wish fulfilled in finding a factual, enlightening and engaging platform that is beyond compare.

PDJT supporters and truth seekers one and all. CTCH is a hearty breakfast of truth and an enlightening supper of old fashioned morals, values and much appreciated opinions that make my day.

Despite my work, first thing in the morning and last thing at night is devoted to TCTH.

New people must read the rules. It will be so rewarding for them and will eminently enrich their experience.

– StuckInTheMiddle

14. getfitnow says:

Thank you, Sundance.

15. amwick says:

My four braincells appreciate the reminder. They held a meeting and came up with a simple summary.

Comment unto others as you would have them comment unto you.
    Or something.

16. Eastender says:

I find this outline as helpful today as it was when I read it for the first time after climbing up to the treehouse. Thanks for reposting, we are never too Leto learn.

17. Nowut Ameen says:

How much of our final grade is determined by our comments grade?

18. AND at the VERY TOP of this VERY PAGE is: “Guide Lines for Comments”!!!

“That’s All Folks”!!!

19. Moe Grimm says:

That’s good advice. I’ve been guilty of some of the points meself, but those were at least ancillary to the topics. Overall, most do adhere to these and this is but one (1) of the things that sets this site apart. I research topics far and wide and there is NO PLACE on the web like this one. We should keep it this way while keeping the cultmarx serpents out – which by the way are seldom seen here. Truth and Patriotism still, and will always, count.

20. Moe Grimm says:

OFF TOPIC GUILTY, but we’ve always had GSD’s. Still do. All dogs are great, but there is nothing quite like the German Shepard. Max Emil Friedrich Von Stephanitz’ gift to the world. Fearless, mental and physical strength, aloof around strangers, profound loyalty, and then some.

• Moe Grimm says:

Excuse me, it’s German ShephErd.

• yy4u says:

Have had 3 Irish Wolfhounds, 1 chow chow and 5 German shepherds. All were wonderful companions and guardians. Our wonderful guard/companion now is an 80 lb female who won’t let anybody in but once we let them in is the sweetest, gentlest doll baby you’ve ever met.

I appreciate Sundance posting the rules. It is helpful. Thanks to him/her and all my Treehouse friends. W/O you, I’d have probably crawled into a hole by now. I’ve never seen so much bias and negativity in the press.

21. LDave says:

Thank you for this sight and your efforts to maintain civil discourse.

22. joshashland says:

Bookmarked and thanks for reposting these guidelines

23. highdezertgator says:

A short excerpt is always helpful…. to get the gist of the article!
    FTA @ BB “The blog Creeping Sharia, which documented what it describes as “the slow, deliberate, and methodical advance of Islamic law” was taken offline by WordPress earlier this week. Visitors navigating to the long-running blog are now met with the message “creepingsharia.wordpress.com is no longer available.”
    I iz hesitant to click on every article …especially b-bart…
    “Willy Wonka: So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.”

24. Sandra-VA says:

Thanks for the reminder! And I absolutely laughed out loud at the last picture… 😆

25. JIM COMEY IS A WEASEL_DOUG says:

Thank you for the reminder for I’m sure I stray,,,scatter brain that I am.

26. CTH is my go to site and I am a guest in your tree-house. I will honor the rules of my host but if this is the Last Refuge of truth I am compelled to make a comment that may be my last.

A couple of weeks back, there was a Sundance post that included the “F” word. I am an old Marine and not some dainty flower so this is about rules.

We just endured eight years of rules and laws apply to some but not to all so please do not dishonor your best site on the internet.

• This is the rule: “Do not disparage our conversation with vulgarity, profanity, or …”

Using profanity to disparage another during conversation is quite different than when used in a humorous context. The rule is quite clear.

(disparage definition: to depreciate by indirect means (such as invidious comparison) : speak slightingly about)

• Thanks for splaining this to me. My copy of this rule did not include the word “another” after disparage so now I am clear on that and I did not even know that “F” words were funny.
        Got to go now and check on my granddaughter who is slightly pregnant.

27. The only thing better than an informative post is an informative post with humor.

28. Hoop says:

IF the MSM media will not fulfill the obligations of a “Free Press” – then the Citizenry will have to do the job for them.

29. llamamama3 says:

Thank you Sundance and adrems !

I appreciate the reminder and will try to be better!

30. Pelayo says:

Super helpful guidelines.

I have noticed on liberal blogs how quickly comments descend into Antifa-style insults.

31. jimboct says:

Reposting the comment standards is crucial as we enter the next phase of the drama we call spy gate.

As the bad actors are exposed, libs will lose their ever loving minds (more than they already have!)

We will see a lot of lashing out, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Thanks to SD, our admins, and the great community here in the treehouse that makes this a great place to share reasoned thoughts.

The libs need to remember life isn’t all about the feels. We have duties and responsibilities. Our VSGPDJT knows this and executes them daily.

32. Menagerie says:

It is interesting to see how many off topic comments there already are on an often repeated post on guidelines that includes the instruction to stay on topic. Obviously admins do not view this with as much humor as some do.

Consider this. You guys see bending a rule or two from your own in the moment perspective, and yeah, a little of that might be okay here and there. But we see it from the perspective of thousands of comments, dozens of complaints, hundreds of emails daily, and hijacked posts which absolutely negate the intent and work of SD.

Most of you appreciate Sundance’s work, and your comments show that you understand the depth of thought, research, time and work involved. Why then are so many so casual about hijacking a thread? If you want others to learn, people to be swayed, opinions to change, help us out. He doesn’t post these guidelines for vanity reasons, he does it because they matter.

• ann says:

Good point. ✅

• jello333 says:

Yeah, just to add to Menagerie’s point about emails, I can’t tell you how often I’ve been tempted to send one off to Sundance, only to stop and ask myself if it’s really necessary. I could have easily sent hundreds if I hadn’t stopped myself. But basically, in the whole 7+ years I’ve been here, I think I’ve only sent maybe 20 or so. Just thought I should add a little perspective, to show that even us ancient old timers here have to pay attention to what we’re doing.

• LULU says:

I see juveniles. The smart aleck ones who admire their own funnyness. My word: Tiresome. Such a wonderful site. They couldn’t even leave this thread alone. I see Menagerie and Ad Rem offering far more courtesy than some deserve.

(The first one to utter “lighten up” will have tagged himself…)

• LULU says:

LIKE!!!!!!!

33. sundance says:

Example of not following the guidelines for comments.

Never post link without explaining the purpose. YOUR explanation of the purpose.

34. AnotherView says:

Just one more reason I love and support the Treehouse!–manners. Great articles, great commentary by smart readers. I’m all for free speech, but this precious site is for serious readers talking about serious topics. Not the place for hawking agendas. No SJWs, femi-commies, or liberals, plueeezzzzzz..

35. andyocoregon says:

“Intentional expressions of rabid hate, vulgarity, and threats.”

The twice posted picture with the F word comes to mind.