The Third Sunday of Lent 2019

GospelJN 4:5-42

Jesus came to a town of Samaria called Sychar,
near the plot of land that Jacob had given to his son Joseph.
Jacob’s well was there.
Jesus, tired from his journey, sat down there at the well.
It was about noon.A woman of Samaria came to draw water.
Jesus said to her,
“Give me a drink.”
His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.
The Samaritan woman said to him,
“How can you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?”
—For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.—
Jesus answered and said to her,
“If you knew the gift of God
and who is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink, ‘
you would have asked him
and he would have given you living water.”

The woman said to him,
“Sir, you do not even have a bucket and the cistern is deep;
where then can you get this living water?
Are you greater than our father Jacob,
who gave us this cistern and drank from it himself
with his children and his flocks?”
Jesus answered and said to her,
“Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again;
but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst;
the water I shall give will become in him
a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
The woman said to him,
“Sir, give me this water, so that I may not be thirsty
or have to keep coming here to draw water.”

Jesus said to her,
“Go call your husband and come back.”
The woman answered and said to him,
“I do not have a husband.”
Jesus answered her,
“You are right in saying, ‘I do not have a husband.’
For you have had five husbands,
and the one you have now is not your husband.
What you have said is true.”
The woman said to him,
“Sir, I can see that you are a prophet.
Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain;
but you people say that the place to worship is in Jerusalem.”

Jesus said to her,
“Believe me, woman, the hour is coming
when you will worship the Father
neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.
You people worship what you do not understand;
we worship what we understand,
because salvation is from the Jews.
But the hour is coming, and is now here,
when true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth;
and indeed the Father seeks such people to worship him.
God is Spirit, and those who worship him
must worship in Spirit and truth.”
The woman said to him,
“I know that the Messiah is coming, the one called the Christ;
when he comes, he will tell us everything.”
Jesus said to her,
“I am he, the one speaking with you.”

At that moment his disciples returned,
and were amazed that he was talking with a woman,
but still no one said, “What are you looking for?”
or “Why are you talking with her?”
The woman left her water jar
and went into the town and said to the people,
“Come see a man who told me everything I have done.
Could he possibly be the Christ?”
They went out of the town and came to him.
Meanwhile, the disciples urged him, “Rabbi, eat.”
But he said to them,
“I have food to eat of which you do not know.”
So the disciples said to one another,
“Could someone have brought him something to eat?”
Jesus said to them,
“My food is to do the will of the one who sent me
and to finish his work.
Do you not say, ‘In four months the harvest will be here’?
I tell you, look up and see the fields ripe for the harvest.
The reaper is already receiving payment
and gathering crops for eternal life,
so that the sower and reaper can rejoice together.
For here the saying is verified that ‘One sows and another reaps.’
I sent you to reap what you have not worked for;
others have done the work,
and you are sharing the fruits of their work.”

Many of the Samaritans of that town began to believe in him
because of the word of the woman who testified,
“He told me everything I have done.”
When the Samaritans came to him,

they invited him to stay with them;
and he stayed there two days.
Many more began to believe in him because of his word,
and they said to the woman,
“We no longer believe because of your word;
for we have heard for ourselves,
and we know that this is truly the savior of the world.”

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Religion, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to The Third Sunday of Lent 2019

1. Elric VIII says:

A deeply profound passage. There is so much here to be read between the lines: the Aramaic language, customs, and the religious divisions of that time. Books have been written about it.

• emet says:

Only a few hundred Samaritans left. I believe that Jesus must have spoken to her in Hebrew. But in His interview with Pilate, that must have been in Latin or Greek.

• Peter Iovino, Esq, says:

Thank you for pointing this out. I had never thought of that. It means that Jesus must have known Latin and Greek. It is unlikely that Pilate the Roman governor would know more than a smattering of Hebrew. Somewhere in his 33 years, Jesus learned these languages along with all the Jewish law and the prophets he knew. Of course, it’s not too challenging to learn a language when you are God!

• 4EDouglas says:

Old Pastor of mine said-“Look- Jesus is Both God and Man-he can speak any language he wants.” this was in Sunday School many years ago.

2. MightyMustardSeed says:

Oh Thank You for posting this beautiful episode. It felt like eavesdropping on their conversation.

She asked, don’t you, a Jew, know who I am? Jesus replied — you don’t know who I AM!

She said He didn’t have a vessel to fill. His response was to offer to fill a broken vessel with Living Water — an imperfect, unclean woman! Just imagine!

She was the last person the religiously pious Jews would welcome. But Jesus came seeking for the lost. He came to offer her, a fallen woman, Living Water!

I am humbled and amazed by reading this. His disciples offered Jesus food, and He replied that his sustenance was bringing God’s Loving Kindness and salvation to those who are perishing!

Jews would walk miles to avoid walking through Samaria. Yet the writer is careful to tell us that Jesus lingered two days with those who asked for, and received His Living Water!

I am thirsty for Jesus. Thank You again for choosing this illustration ♥️

• jnr2d2 says:

Hosea 6: 1-2 KJV ” Let us return unto the LORD; for he hath torn, and He will heal us; He hath smitten, and He will bind us up. After two days he will revive us, in the third day He will raise us up, and we shall live in His sight.”

3. justsayin714 says:

It has been many years since I heard this entire passage, and I’d forgotten how moving, and truly profound, it is. Thank you for posting this. I will be thinking of this as I fall asleep tonight.

4. William Schneider says:

I love this story from Jesus’s life. How appropriate for Lent as Jesus moves toward his passion he is more explicit about his divinity. I also think of our president who has been through a Lentin type period of persecution and trials with the Mueller investigation. As Jesus rose from the dead after his passion and death our President is about to rise from his Lentin journey of penance and persecution to many more great years as our leader. Jesus was the chosen one of the Father and I believe God is using this President to save this country from its ruinous ways.

Clearly Trump is no Jesus but God uses whoever is willing and able. The Mueller report would appear to exonerate Trump completely. Trump has an early Easter experience here. We can all keep him in prayer for a deepening of his faith as Lent progresses. May we all grow closer to God during the remaining days of Lent.

• warrprin1 says:

Praise the Holy Name of Jesus, the Christ, and please Almighty Lord, protect our President Donald J. Trump from those who wish to harm him. You have led President Trump safely through the mine field created by his, and our, political enemies.

We thank You, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, for your protection, your firm, clear guidance, your forgiveness of our sins, and your lovingkindness. We thank you for the victory in the full destruction of the ISIS Caliphate territory. We thank you for the Leader that You, Yourself, have chosen for our Nation, and for the world, in a time such as this.

In Jesus’ Name, I pray…

• Jeff P. says:

God does not call the qualified, God qualifies the called.

5. Judy waterman says:

Thank you for this beautiful scripture.

6. IrishEyesSouth says:

The Word of God makes everything so minuscule & unimportant in this fallen world. Get right with Him – that’s real freedom.

7. snowfalling says:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
    declares the Lord.
    “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
    Lord, we pray that you guide us to be on your ways.

8. Conservative_302 says:

Thank you for always including passages of the bible. My faith is my salvation. I watched a beautiful movie on Netflix last night called An Interview with God. It is a must see.

9. phaedrus cj says:

We are using cycle C readings although this one from Cycle A is great.

10. 321vacation says:

Heard this at Mass last night and I can’t help but think hearing this that Jesus was also talking to me, a sinner like the Samaritan woman. Yet Jesus calls us all to forgive and save us. No sin is too great that it can’t be forgiven.

11. FofBW says:

Thank you Menagerie.

12. Truthfilter says:

Thank you for posting these kinds of passages during Catholic Holy seasons like Lent and Advent. I’m not a Catholic but Ive lived and worked in a strong Catholic community for the past 10 years. I’ve been coming to CTH everyday since 2014. These posts inform my protestant faith on a deeper level and connect me to a local culture that is becoming less and less foreign to me.

13. MomDukes says:

Thank you for posting this as a reminder of what is ETERNALLY significant. Thank the Lord for His saving grace freely given to those who will believe!

14. muskrat says:

Sometimes I just have to humbly say WOW.

15. warrprin1 says:

“Be still, and know that I AM GOD.” Psalm 46:10

16. Shark24 says:

Thank you for this wonderful post that is an oasis in the desert of hate we have to deal with daily in our fallen world. I would like to share a video from one of the teen leaders that works with my wife. Only 4 minutes or so but I think it give you a little hope for the future. There are some great Catholic teens out there and this 65 year old guy intends to support them! God bless.

17. Hoosier-Daddy says:

Thank you for that post.

• VinceWhirlwind says:

That’s a very powerful, edifying reflection on today’s Gospel. Yes, Christianity is counter-cultural, for sure.

When I was a kid, to be counterculture, you skipped Church. Today? To be counterculture, you go to Church.

18. smurfette says:

Very beautiful and picturesque like my childhood biblical books! It’s warm like fresh baked toasty bread on the Third Day of Lent!

19. Tim from Nashua says:

This story reminds me of the healing of divisions among people when we are in Christ Jesus. As pointed out, Jews avoided Samaria/Samaritans as unclean half-breeds. In Christ, all are one body, with Christ as the head.
    Also, when the Holy Spirit came upon the disciples, they were to be Christ’s witnesses, in Jerusalem, Judaea, SAMARIA, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Because Jesus had spent time with them, the Samaritans were ready for the Gospel, as His disciples spread the Good News.

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

20. Johnny Dollar says:

I’m intrigued by this passage.

First, by the way Jesus, in a seemingly abruptly manner, demands water from the woman.
    Then by her retort.
    Apparently, she had no intention of just handing over water to this stranger. And nothing I read says she ever did.
    She sounds self assured.
    Just my take.

• Jeff P. says:

Laws and customs were very different in those times. She literally could have been killed by her own family for giving Jesus water. She may have been a ‘sinner’ but she was attempting to be lawful at that moment I think for sure.

21. Johnny Dollar says:

Why would Jesus ask her for water if He knew she might be killed if she gave Him water?
    Not very Christian.
    To me, He comes across as demanding, in a way that’s meant to impress.
    And, IMO, she’s not buying into it.

22. Hugh says:

Thank you for this beautiful passage from scriptures. Jesus guides us to accept all peoples, even when others may say it is forbidden.