Wild Crash at Macau Grand Prix F3 Race…

Seventeen-year-old German driver Sophia Floersch is conscious and has been transferred to hospital with spinal fractures after a horrific crash at the Macau Grand Prix F3 race – a season ending event of the best F3 drivers from around the world.  Watch:

The Dallara-Mercedes went airborne and vertical while traveling backwards as a result from a tagged-wheel crash further down the straight.  The Mercedes impacted the photographer’s stand in the vertical position at the Guia Circuit’s Lisboa bend on the fourth lap of Sunday’s Formula Three World Cup.  [No word on whether any photographer was active at the impact point]

The crash is horrific, but several millisecond events likely saved her life. Ms. Floersch was going backwards when she struck the TOM’s car of Sho Tsuboi after becoming airborne at the corner; making impact vertical -slightly reducing velocity- and displacing energy.

The Newtonian luck of millisecond events is exponential to the small group behind the impact barrier.  If Ms. Floersch Mercedes did not impact Sho Tsuboi’s car perfectly, at precisely the .00001 moment needed, those spectators would have been would have been in the direct line of travel….  Lot’s of angels at work there, with only four injuries.

This entry was posted in energy, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

220 Responses to Wild Crash at Macau Grand Prix F3 Race…

1. Miracles abound in these latter days.

• mikebrezzze says:

Fuel injection, fly by wire, ECU (electronic control unit) , if there’s a failure the default should be to kill the engine, the “throttle “ was obviously hung wide open, no tire smoke seen so far , brakes throttle and transmission are all fly by wire, crews are known to hack their own ecu, if I were an inspector the first thing I’m grabbing is that ecu!

• Janie M. says:

yup, grandmaintexas… she had an angel in her pocket.

• jedi9 says:

Yes like the birth of my son! I was here! The Hospital in which my son was born in, this past Tuesday, is right smack center of this circuit, My Wife just came home yesterday and baby and Mom are doing good! This race course is on the old side of Macau. Last year a motorcycle driver was killed, as this is such a tight course and is actually one on the most dangerous. Every year this always an accident on this course. .

• jedi9 says:

Sorry for the grammar mistakes, “Every year there is always an accident in the Macau Grand Prix!” This is by far one of the most horrific freak accidents to happen in recent times!.I am glad to know that she will live and the same hospital that my son was born in, is less than a minute from this crash site, so God was looking out for this woman from the corner of his eye! Lucky!

2. Ruckus Tom says:

That’s one heck of a flexible, steel beam and net barrier they had set up to stop her car.

3. Bullseye says:

Never sit on the outside of a turn at any motorsport event. Hopefully all will be okay

4. sundance says:

5. How in the world she was going that fast is my question… no one else was.

• sundance says:

She tagged wheels w/ someone up-track in the straightaway. If you watch closely, she’s actually traveling backwards at the corner.

• I see that SD, but look at the high speed she was traveling at compared to the other cars slowed down for the hard corner.

She must have literally run over the car that she tagged wheels with, like she was full throttle and didn’t let off or the throttle body stuck wide open.

Horrific… I hope she can walk again and live a normal life. Racing is a blast, with many risks involved.

• John Bosley says:

Before the slowdown area for the turn the car in front of her slowed down prematurely due to to a yellow caution flag that should not have been out.
          She tried to avoid him and take corrective action but hit the curb spinning her around and becoming airborne.
          She was probably about 2 to 3 feet off the ground going backwards at 270 clicks when she hit the yellow car that sent her even higher and flipped her trajectory into a vertical position when she hit the wall with her head poking out to the wall.
          That impact probably spread the forces out with that flexible photography stand and saved her life avoiding going into the Lisboa Hotel behind it.
          Still the impact compressed her head and caused trama to her spine.
          Better than being burned alive.
          She definitely had angels on her side.

• lemmus1 says:

…she still was at straightaway speed when tagged …the rest of the field ahead of her was slowed for the sharp corner … backward and airborne at full speed, she literally flew through them

• dd_sc says:

Mechanical failure; throttle stuck wide open?

6. thedoc00 says:

What the heck is a 17 year girl doing, driving an F3??? She can’t possibly have the experience and physical strength to this safely. More PC and headlines grabbing decisions no doubt.

7. talker2u says:

I’m sorry but . . .

Why do I care about this?!

• Sharon says:

You’ll have to answer your own question since you are the one who decides what you care about.

• So sorry you were forced to watch. /s

• talker2u says:

Can’t be concerned for fools.

My thoughts are with our military and especially with our fellow citizens near the Southern Border, Californians devastated by Democrat evildoers, and our fellow patriots nationwide.

Ain’t got time for European playboys (and playgirls).

• rjcylon says:

Don’t pat yourself on the back too hard, you might pull something.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“My thoughts are with”

In case you have not noticed, this is a multi-dimensional site, which a substantial number of people find appealing. If that is not to your liking, perhaps you might be better served by spending time elsewhere (or at least not clicking on links outside of your narrow focus of interests). Tempus fugit.

James 4:14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

• talker2u says:

In case you have not noticed, this is a multi-dimensional site for anyone to read and comment as he chooses. If that is not to your liking, perhaps you might be better served by spending time elsewhere (or at least not berating others whose comments are outside of your narrow focus of interests).

• Peoria Jones says:

The better point may be that this is SD’s site, so he posits his interests. Most is political, but he often posts writings of other talents (like Menagerie’s today) and other subjects.

There’s no purpose in publicly snarking on SD about this, on his own post. If you have a suggestion for him, why not send an email? Let your preference be known.

In the meantime, do your best to skip over things you do not wish to read or watch. Life is too short to pretend you don’t have choices.

• Maquis says:

Thank you PJ. My response would have been less…charitable.

• Peoria Jones says:

Your instincts are good. Upon reading talker2u’s post again, he should’ve been called out on this:

“In case you have not noticed, this is a multi-dimensional site for anyone to read and comment as he chooses.”

Oh my. Just wait until he/she realizes how wrong he/she is. The rules of engagement have recently been re-posted as a warning. 🙂

• jello333 says:

We used to have a LOT of fun talking about things other than politics, court cases, disasters, etc. And it didn’t detract one bit from the more important stuff. And just a reminder to those of us who’ve been here awhile… careful, that chicken will cut you!

• talker2u says:

Cool it, people. Never criticized Sundance or anyone else, or implied he or anyone did anything offensive or wrong.

I simply expressed my opinion.

Expressing one’s opinion is still acceptable, is it (at least among conservatives)?

Reread the thread.

• Peoria Jones says:

You are replying to my comment and telling me to “cool it.” I humbly submit that you read SD’s Guidelines for Commenting, and try to understand where your OP violates community standards.

You didn’t express an opinion. You made a primary post for no other reason than to insult the topic of our host’s choosing. Honestly, it should be easier for you to just apologize and say oops.

• jello333 says:

Yep, we’re just a bunch of freaks here in the Treehouse. In fact, as I was watching this, my only thoughts were, “I sure hope this girl is okay… I’m SO tired of pretending to care about those people in the California fires!”

Seriously?

• Peoria Jones says:

We have a rash of posters now who criticize PTrump for doing this when he should have been doing that. I guess they don’t think Sundance can walk and chew gum at the same time, either.

Personally, I feel a bit relieved that SD doesn’t exist on politics alone. 🙂

• Sayit2016 says:

So weird– I care about those things as well.. and found this to be an interesting story as I have a background in racing G2 modified race cars.

• Sayit2016 says:

In addition the author of this website found it an interesting story. You have a problem with it — take it up with Sundance….. ( like that will go well )

• ForGodandCountry says:

A:

1. Because as Sundance points out, the outcome of this crash was an act of Divine intervention. In fact, it can legitimately be said that someone SHOULD have died as a result of this crash, and it is a legitimate miracle that no one was killed.

2. Most of us Treepers are HIGHLY concerned with the Divine and anything to do with God, his graces, and his mercies. We appreciate that Sundance would spotlight an incident like this to remind us that we are ALL loved and watched over by loving and grace-filled forces unseen by us.

3. If you don’t care, fine. Please consider simply not posting when you don’t have anything to add, like now.

• talker2u says:

To be concerned with the Divine means, to begin with, not to endanger human life . . . others’ as well as your your own.

• jello333 says:

You ever played baseball? I can tell you right now, a 90mph pitch is most DEFINITELY life-endangering. (And the only way to even have a chance at hitting it is if you DON’T think about that.) And as for “others”… yeah, it’s not at all uncommon to hit a line-drive into the stands.

• Aeyrie says:

Well said. That there were no deaths is truly a miracle. Wishing the intrepid young lady a full recovery, with God’s blessing!

• jello333 says:

And even if there weren’t any “miraculous” aspects to this, it would still be worth calling our attention to. A VERY unique wreck, even among those of us who’ve seen hundreds in racing. So what exactly is wrong with taking a short break from “politics” once in awhile? I just don’t get the concern…

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Why do I care about this?”

I don’t know – why did you click on the thread and scroll down to comment?

Uh… alrighty then… :/

• Sayit2016 says:

You clicked the post…. answer seems pretty simple.

• piper567 says:

talker,
      there are other threads y’know…

• BillRiser says:

SD, I believe was showing you there are miracles in this world.

8. Colorado Conservative says:

Prayers that this young woman is not now a quadriplegic and will recover from this most terrifying event of her young life.

9. joeknuckles says:

This is why I made my kids wait until they were 18 to drive.

That and the fact that I crashed my parents car doing 100 on a city street when I was 16. Yes, I am lucky and very grateful to be alive. Some kids don’t get a 2nd chance. I sure hope this beautiful girl gets hers.

10. What does a 17 year old know about driving let alone driving a really, really fast car surrounded by other fast cars? Ask any insurance company about how stupid teenagers are in cars. This sounds like that industry is trying to open up into the “women’s market” by allowing a 17 year old girl to risk everyone’s lives. Stupid people.

• joeknuckles says:

Yes, there are forces at work that teenagers just can’t comprehend. There is also the fact that kids just think they are invincible at that age. They don’t understand how precious and fragile life can be.

• Lined-out Hymnody says:

She is European. Likely she has been karting since she was 5 or 6 and progressed to open wheel cars at 12 or 13. Men now are driving in Formula 1 at 18 or 19 years of age. I don’t know anything about this driver, I stopped following car racing 5 years ago when my daughter was born.

• That’s WHY Racing Organizations WANT these Kids, Pushing the Limits & FEARLESS..

• churchmouse says:

I’m not sure what you mean, but Europeans start going around go kart tracks, smaller versions of professional courses, at a young age.

So when you say ‘fearless’, I can readily agree because that’s how they are brought up.

The meaning of the first part of your sentence about why racing organisations want these youngsters, is less clear.

• Because these young folks think they are ‘immune” or invincible , We we Not all that way when WE were that age? I know I was.. Without regard to what may happen.. Hence,, “Pushing the limits”..

THINK,, as you get older, you are “Wiser” ,, Did you care about “living” as a Kid, (you don’t THINK that will happen to me).. well,, they feel “invincible”…

• jello333 says:

Yeah, my sons used to be pretty good skaters. A couple times they tried to teach me how to do some “simple tricks” (yeah right!). And even though I was a lot younger and in much better shape at the time, I just found it nearly impossible to even try. It took a lot of courage for me to just RIDE the board, let alone do what they wanted me to try. “Okay, now do…” whatever… but I couldn’t even bring myself to try it (kickflip, ollie, whatever). I still can’t figure out where they got the nerve to do some of that stuff.

• tessa50 says:

That brings back a good memory. My oldest son got me to do a kickflip or ollie one time. No longer remember which one, but I ended up flat on my back on the ground. We were laughing, but oh my, that hurt!

• thetrain2016 says:

Some kids start to race go-karts in age 7. Many of them become very good racers by age 12. Few years in faster classes make them professional quality race car drivers. Racing accidents happen…

• andyocoregon says:

I still remember reading the front page story in the newspaper about the carload of 16 and 17 year old girls who had been drinking one night and street racing the brand new Dodge Coronet rt 440 Magnum when they lost control and wrapped it around a telephone pole. They were estimated to have been going well over 120 mph when they hit the pole. None of the six beautiful young cheerleaders survived. That car was totally demolished. As a high school boy of 17, I remember being heartbroken. Such a waste of young lives.
      Daddy had just bought the car for the driver a week earlier as a birthday present.

• AH_C, Boofer says:

Where have you been? Kids have been racing for as long as they could reach the pedal. This is nothing new. Look at Michael Schumacher…

After success in karting as a child, Schumacher won titles in Formula König and Formula Three before joining Mercedes in the World Sportscar Championship. In 1991, Michael was 22 years old when he started driving for Mercedes-funded race debut for the Jordan Formula One team resulted in Schumacher being signed by Benetton for the rest of that season. He finished third in 1992 and fourth in 1993, before becoming the first German World Drivers’ Champion in 1994 by one point over Damon Hill.

• LeastInterestingManInTheWorld says:

“The most successful driver in the history of the sport, Schumacher, born in 1969, holds the records for the most World Championship titles (7), the most Grand Prix wins (91), the most fastest laps (77) and the most races won in a single season (13), and according to the official Formula One website (Formula1.com), Schumacher was “statistically the greatest driver the sport has ever seen” at the time of his retirement from the sport.”

Only one reason this paragraph would ever be written…..

He watched as Ayrton Senna (arguably the greatest driver to ever live) die in front of him and the result was Schumachers first win. I will never forget him celebrating on the podium as they removed Senna’s body from the facility. Lets not forget Ratzenburger who died the day before (saturday)on the same track.

• AH_C, Boofer says:

You’re right – forgotten all the back story details. Actually, I didn’t follow auto-racing that closely, other than the big races and reading enough to talk about it with friends that were big fans.

I was more the hardcore bike racing fan – Superbikes & GP. 😉

11. the5thranchhand says:

What a crash………..bet that got the adrenalin flowing!

12. ForGodandCountry says:

Quote:

“The speed-trap figure before the Lisboa braking area shows that she was travelling at 276.2km/h (171.6mph).”

That no one was killed in this accident is an honest-to-goodness heavenly miracle. 🙏🏼✨✝️

Also….

“Both drivers, plus two photographers and a marshal, were taken to hospital following the accident on lap four of the grand prix, shortly after a safety car restart.

Tsuboi was admitted to hospital with lumbar pain and will undergo further examination.

The marshal, Chan Cha In, suffered a laceration of the face, abrasion of his upper abdomen wall and a fractured jaw.

Photographer Chan Weng Wang sustained a liver laceration and is being observed in hospital, with fellow photographer Hiroyuki Minami suffering a concussion and likewise under observation.”

And…

“Ferrari junior Guan Yu Zhou, who was following Floersch at the time of the accident, explained that it was due to yellow caution lights flashing on the straight.

“First of all it was such a scary moment,” said the Prema Powerteam driver.

“Coming after Mandarin [the preceding right-hand kink], I saw the yellow, but I think it was just a mistake by the organisers’ station.

“Sophia was really close to Jehan, so when Jehan braked early she had no time to react.

“She hit Jehan’s right-rear, and that spun her around straight into Lisboa, and she flew into the other car.

The incident was investigated by the stewards, who ruled that “no individual drive was wholly or predominantly responsible for the collision”.

13. jello333 says:

Whoa! That is NOT what I expected to see when I started the video. I expected a major smash-up, but NOT something that looked like a rocket flying through the air out of nowhere. And you’re right, Sundance, MAJOR miracles going on there.

(Oh, but… 17?!)

14. allhail2 says:

When two tires going in the same direction contact each other, it can get ugly fast. While under caution on a 1/2 mile oval several of us were being waved forward several spots after a wreck we were not involved in (if you’re not in the wreck, you will be placed back in your spot). As I was passing one car (maybe 30-35mph) he inadvertently started to scrub his tires (turning the wheel back and forth to clean and generate some heat back into the tire). His left front made enough contact with my right rear that it catapulted me from the bottom of the track, over him, and I landed against the outside wall. I was fine, only a bent axle, easy fix fortunately.

We were talking after the race and I quote from him, “Holy crap! One minute your next to me, the next I’m looking at the bottom of your car.” It happened so fast that I remember coming up next to him and then I could not figure out how I was now looking at the field coming toward me. Even now, I have no recollection of the small gap in time. And this was under caution.

These F cars literally fly towards a corner and brake hard going in. If two car’s wheels tagged just prior to braking, milliseconds matter, it is entirely possible for her to end up like that. Yes, it’s freak, but definitely probable. Also, race cars are designed to “suck” to the ground. Any break in that suction will be disastrous, period. She was at speed, suction broke, all bets off, she’s now a missile.

Fortunately, there were no deaths.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“race cars are designed to “suck” to the ground.”

At one point in time, perhaps 10-15 years ago (the rules are constantly changing), a F1 car could aerodynamically generate (at speed) more downforce than the car weighed. For example, theoretically a 1500 lb. race car generating 2000 lbs. of downforce at 175 mph could enter a suitable large tunnel and climb the wall and run upside down for a little while, offsetting the force of gravity.

The lift off speed of many commercial airliners is around 130 mph. The problem of aerodynamic race cars becoming airborne has long been a problem at NASCAR events. Years ago there were pop-up roof flaps installed that automatically deployed under certain conditions. This disrupted the high speed airflow and helped alleviate such instances when a car would get turned around.

• allhail2 says:

You are correct. I remember when NASCAR did that. Couple of Daytona Coke Zero 400’s ago we were 8 rows up from where Austin Dillion finally came to a stop. Crap everywhere.

• Whoops sorry that was Tonie’s crash.. Heres Rusty Wallace.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=RnBRgC_btW0

• jello333 says:

After all the really nasty-looking Nascar (and other) crashes I’ve seen, I just didn’t quite understand Earnhardt’s. I mean, even now… I watch it, and just have trouble seeing how he was killed in that. As far as crashes go, that one just didn’t seem like a big deal.

• starfcker says:

Jello, there is another angle taken from in front of the cars, and you can see the speed that Earnhardt hits the wall. From that other angle it does not look survivable. The TV angle looks very mild. You can look it up on YouTube

• tessa50 says:

Start from about the 40 second mark. This is from inside his car.

• jello333 says:

Yeah, I’ve seen that one too. And even though it looks harder than the other live angle, it still isn’t as bad as many other crashes in various types of cars. Or I should say it doesn’t LOOK as bad… because obviously it WAS real bad.

• tessa50 says:

I know just what you mean. I think it was because of the high speed slamming into the wall, but it does look mild. I tend to think of it in terms of when I backed into a car, going very slowly. It was a jolt and I was hardly moving. So, increase that speed, really not good.

• jello333 says:

I imagine it’s got something to do with perspective, of speed in one direction vs speed in another. The change in speed from when the car is going straight compared to when it went up into the wall doesn’t seem to be that great… percentage-wise. I mean let’s say the deceleration was about 1/4 original speed. (I have no idea, I’m just throwing a number out there.) So if that happens when I’m driving my car, it might be a sudden deceleration from, say, 60 mph down to 45 mph… which amounts to a sudden stop at 15 mph. Not good, but most likely not super serious. But even though Earnhardt’s car didn’t come to a dead, instant stop, if it was doing around 200 mph before hitting the wall, and cut off even only 1/4 of his speed with the hit… that’s still like an instant stop at about 50 mph…. which could EASILY be fatal. (I have NO idea if I’m figuring this right… I’m just trying to figure out why this impact was so obviously much worse than it looks.)

• tessa50 says:

Ok, you lost me there, and no, I don’t know much about these things. I would be thinking from your example that he hit the wall at 45mph. About all I remeber from learning from driver’s ed long ago, was if you hit someone head on, and they are going the same speed as you are, then the damage would be equal to double the speed you are traveling. I thought that meant if you hit a wall at 45mph, then that is the speed your body will slam forward before slamming back. But yeah, I am not sure.

• jello333 says:

Yeah I know, I was even confusing MYSELF with my attempted explanation. 🙂 But basically, I was saying something similar to what you just said… that even if the deceleration was “only” 50mph (or 45 in your example), that’s the “hit” your body will be taking, and that’s more than enough.

• tessa50 says:

Well then you didn’t confuse me, I confused myself. We were saying the same thing. lol

• jello333 says:

Yay! 😉 But I just noticed something I said right at the beginning of my first comment that may have thrown the whole thing off. I used the word “perspective”, when what I meant to say was “relativity”… I think… who knows. 🙂 (I hope the girl who wrecked gets a chance to read this thread, cause I’m sure she can use the laughs.)

• LeastInterestingManInTheWorld says:

Jello, the front impact didn’t kill Dale, it was when Kenny Schrader’s car broadsided Dales’ as it backed off the wall that snapped his neck…sideways. Schrader knew right then and there, if you watch the tapes you’ll see Schrader making a “T” sign with his hands to the corner workers, in racing that means “trauma” get her NOW!

• allhail2 says:

I do. I’ve been airborne very, very briefly twice that I remember. It’s a weird quiet.

But, once that car goes backwards, all race aerodynamics are now going the wrong way and you have a plane with no wings. The roof flaps were a great idea to reverse the “reverse aerodynamics.”

• jello333 says:

Yeah, like here…. this dude was literally in airplane takeoff mode for a couple seconds.

• bofh says:

Yup. The Mark Weber and Peter Dumbreck airborne Mercedes race cars at LeMans years ago are hard to forget. Modern high-end race cars are essentially upside-down aircraft wings, with the “lift” forcing them down onto the track so that the tires can get better traction. Once the laminar flow under the smooth-bottomed car is disturbed the “wing” becomes more of a dry-leaf tossed by the wind. And of course, once airborne (as in this Macao F3 accident) the car is simply a ballistic projectile.

• bofh says:

Unbelievably, the Mercedes team relived this nightmare several times over a few days, finally retiring from the sport.

In 1999 Dumbreck escaped uninjured from a violent crash during the 1999 24 Hours of Le Mans race when his No. 5 Mercedes-Benz CLR somersaulted into the woods at about 300 km/h (190 mph). An aerodynamic design flaw caused the front of the car to rise and then flip without any external contact; Mark Webber had already suffered similar crashes in the No. 4 car during the Thursday night practice and the Saturday morning Warm-up. The remaining No. 6 car was retired immediately, and the team withdrew from all other planned entries in endurance racing and the American Le Mans Series. (Wikipedia)

• LeastInterestingManInTheWorld says:

Doesn’t top 1958 when Mercedes killed 85 spectators at Le Mans

15. Brant says:

I think here we have the difference between this wreck and the NY limo wreck that killed all 20. Energy dissipation through stuff flying off vs everything solid and only thing moving were the people.

• nimrodman says:

“limousine crash … killing all 20”

One of the mechanisms of fatality in a crash is the simple but utter deceleration as you crash into an unyielding object

The medical result is that it can blow your aorta … among other fatal possibilities

I think this is a common means of death for many bridge jumpers who hit the water from an adequate height

Probably only takes about 40 mph if your stoppage is utter

Think I recall the limousine was estimated at 60-70 mph

16. bertdilbert says:

I was expecting your typical multi car pileup, not a hypersonic missile. Amazing nobody died.

17. 300 says:

Those cats behind the barrier we scramblin for their life, outta there like a covey of Quail.

18. StanH says:

Wow! That was a hell of a wreck.

19. Angel Martin says:

Open wheel racing is dangerous as hell. If the wheels touch, one or both of the cars go flying.

Open cockpit – same. You are protected but something like a tire can still hit you on the head. eg Ayrton Senna, RIP.

NASCAR is plenty dangerous for me.

20. sobriquet3 says:

I’ll say…

21. zombietimeshare says:

I was unaware those cars had jetpacks.

22. bozzy says:

Women of any age have no business in auto racing or politics.

23. jello333 says:

Thankfully there weren’t grandstands with fans at the point of impact, or this thing may have been added to the list of worst ever. As far as ones I’ve seen since I’ve followed racing, it would probably be the Salt Walther Indy wreck (that whole day was MESSED UP). But of course nothing will (hopefully!) ever compare to one a little before my time, at ’55 Le Mans.

24. Les Standard says:

I’ve been a motorsport fan my whole life. I grew up around it. I don’t remember ever seeing anything quite like this, that was the worst example of “driving” possible.

25. Artemis Gordon says:

I’m a believer but do not “practice”. No one would define me as being overly religious. I have had personal unexplainable things happen to me that I 100% believe were a result of some divine or angelic intervention. I’ve had an adrenaline moment where I lifted half a car during an ice storm to save my family. But I do wonder at times. Putting a 17 year old in an F3 is dumb (in my opinion). Or maybe that is on purpose. No one can understand God’s reason for letting the accident happen, or his reasons for keeping everyone alive. I struggle with situations like this where he is given credit for a positive outcome but no blame for the inputs. I find myself believing this was just a set of circumstances that happened. Logically, and not in a negative way, if He has a plan one has to conclude his plan is for every bit of the story. Or, does he only concern Himself with outcomes? There was an accident. She lived as He deemed it so. Had she died, He deemed it so. Because she lived, we thank Him? Perhaps, her dying was part of His plan and we should thank Him?
    Not trying to start a fight, just thinking. Lots of folks thanking God for not dying in the CA wild fires. Did He choose you not to die? Why did He choose a horrific fire? Maybe, He did both. Maybe, He did neither.

• jello333 says:

Good points… some really deep, philosophical points. I’ve had the same questions many times during my life. And I can even point to a few other instances just where racing is concerned, where instead of something almost miraculous happening where people live, there are “freak accidents” where people die. (The Tom Pryce double tragedy is one such event.) I think this is a real interesting subject to discuss, but it depends on who’s doing the talking. I’ve been in discussions, even “debates”, with people before that have been great, and everyone comes out feeling better about each other. But unfortunately I’ve been in some that have turned into shouting matches. So… ya never know… 😉

• WSB says:

I see a lot of patterns of Nature’s weather or stupid/evil man-inspired actions to create a problem, and God simply blessing some victims to come directly unto Heavan, and others to remain to continue the good fight, special in that they still have a gift to extoll.

• WSB says:

I really need a tablet angel about now…Heaven.

• ForGodandCountry says:

You can start here….

God doesn’t “see” or view death the way we do. We put far more stock in our flesh than he does. The reason is simple. We are immortal souls who simply inhabit a body of flesh. You can think of your body like an astronaut’s space suit. Useful to inhabit this physical reality in which we termporarily dwell, but like a space suit is life-limited and NOT the end-all, be-all.

From there, you can go on to the truth that we were not meant for THIS life, but the life to come.

Physical death, therefore, is ultimately meaningless, as demonstrated by our Lord Jesus. It is the death of our souls that should concern us, and therefore our obedience and fealty to God and his laws which, SOLELY through his grace and forgiveness, will allow us to live eternally with him in the Kingdom to come.

“From dust you(r body) came, and to dust you shall return.”

It is God’s breath of life within us, our souls, that matter. Not our body’s death, or how it dies.

26. Tazio Nuvolari says:

A lot of people seem to want t blame it on her being female, or being 17. Seems an obvious mechanical malfunction that could happen to anyone, either a stuck throttle or no brakes.

Doesn’t matter who you are or how old you are, auto racing is dangerous, crazy things happen when you press machines. People will get hurt, you either accept that or get out of it.

27. Kent says:

Beyond wild…how about a hand for the SCAFFOLD BUILDERS who put that stand together?

I’ve seen those guys (and gals….do some pretty amazing stuff……

28. Mike says:

wow. unbelievable that she survived that.

29. Texian says:

Unbelievable.. A seventeen year old girl behind the wheel of a race car.. Who barely has enough maturity and practical experience to drive a Prius..

What could go wrong..

Well there ya go.. It’s right there in the video..

Lesson already learned back when America was Great.. Never give a seventeen year old female the keys to a Formula race car..

• Tazio Nuvolari says:

Sorry but I have to call out the ignorance in this post. For one thing, this is a F3 car, a lower, learning class. She’s been racing since she was 5 years old and has won races in Sports cars and F4. She’s not some idiot they just stuck into a car because she’s a woman.

• Texian says:

I don’t care if it’s a mini-bike.. You don’t give a seventeen year old girl the keys to a 170+ mph road machine..

• Moultrie Flag says:

It has been happening for decades.

This was no 17 year old dumb girl. She is one of the top drivers in the world or she wouldn’t be in that seat.

• AH_C, Boofer says:

Welcome to 21st Century, Rip Van Wrinkle.

No one gives the keys to a multi-million, or even 100Ks race machines without extreme vetting. The fact that she races for Mercedes is because she paid her dues coming up thru the ranks — cream of the crop.

Women have been driving and racing cars, motorcycles, airplanes and boats almost as soon as they could get their hands on one. It moves, they have raced it.

You just haven’t been paying attention.

• jello333 says:

That’s my assumption… that she’s been driving since she was a little kid, slowly moving up in difficulty level and speed. No doubt this is a dangerous sport, at almost any level, but people should think about some others. Baseball, for instance, as far as I know Little League doesn’t have a pitching speed limit… and yes, occasionally a kid comes along that can really throw. Crazy, and I’m not sure I’d let my kids play if they were still that age now. Oh, and the distance from mound to home is WAY less than college/pro… only about 45′ (instead of 60′). Also, think about gymnastics. My guess is that way more kids have been seriously injured in that sport than in lower-level racing.

• Eric says:

It’s not a formula 1 race car. Same body styles but different engines. That wasn’t a wreck due to “inexperience”. That was a wreck from a mechanical failure. Those things are so technology driven it’s to the point someone from the docking stations can control the steering wheel with an XBox controller. Don’t EVEN get me started on the whole “17 year old has inexperience” crap. I’ve seen 8 year olds that can drive midget sprints better than some 40-50 years old can drive in Atlanta traffic at 3pm.

30. CNN_sucks says:

Schumacher did not die competing in F1 races but had a freak aident in skiing that rendered him vegetables able condition. Every sports has risk in it.

31. montanamel says:

WOW….
    after being involved with drag racing for many years….then Formula Atlantic….then Nascar….then IndyCar/CART…and some assorted Lambo’s and LMP cars… I have to agree: OPEN WHEEL racing is dangerous as all get out!
    The exposure of the drivers head has finally got some attention — the new HALO in F-1 is the result…. I can still remember seeing like 10 or 11 F-1 cars being picked up by a forklift and tossed in a dumpster to clear a track…it was foggy like and it was on the start – after the pre grid laps. That was a true scrap yard mess!…
    In the USA we have “shifter-carts” that most hot-sticks come up thru… now, those are scary…all you can see are elbows and knees sticking out all over the place…they don’t flip up very easy, but still manage to do their share of damage…
    When this guy in front “checked up”, ie: LET OFF THE GAS…before breaking, that was all it took for the initial contact and take-off…after that, with the normal breaking area right there…everyone else shed most of their speed…the airborne one didn’t — hence, the great difference between them.

Finding this on the Treehouse was a treat… mind candy… It is good to shift gears mentally sometimes. Forces us to THINK rather than just sprout dogma…. Check-6

32. andyocoregon says:

That car looked as though it had been shot from a canon! She is so lucky to have survived.

33. Moultrie Flag says:

Reminds of of Dan Wheldon’s fatal crash at Vegas in an Indy Car.

There is very little time to check up if the field slows, and once the downforce is taken away”

You are riding in a missile with no control.

34. LeastInterestingManInTheWorld says:

She was attempting to out brake the other car in front of her and launched off his front right tire. No amount of traction control ABS or anything else was going to prevent this. This is exactly the same way Senna was killed. Anyone else notice a corner worker under the car when it came to rest? Look close he’s there.

35. Mark says:

17 year old FIA driver??? I’m beyond speechless that anyone would think a 17 year old has the experience required to drive one of these vehicles against professionals.

36. TwoLaine says:

If the press had been hurt, you know whose fault it would be? 😉

That metal wall saved her life as well, although the backlash must have been hh311. Who knows what would be left if it was open space and she hit and flipped, hit and flipped, hit and flipped, over and over and over again. I’ve seen too many of these crashes. My worst was Stan Fox in 1995. I can still see it happening.

• LeastInterestingManInTheWorld says:

I was on the apex of turn two when Stan went into the wall, I agree…it was one of the most frightening I’ve ever witnessed. Nelson Piquet in 92 also gives me shivers.

37. Well, woman drivers as usual….