North Korea Replaces Top Three Military Officials….

On the same day Vice-Chairman Kim Yong Chol arrives back in Beijing en route to North Korea from a meeting with President Trump, Yonhap News is reporting that the top three officials in the North Korean military have been replaced:

SEOUL/TOKYO, June 3 (Yonhap) — All of North Korea’s three top military officials are believed to have been replaced, an intelligence source said Sunday, in a move that could be aimed at taming the military ahead of a denuclearization deal with the U.S.

No Kwang-chol, first vice minister of the Ministry of People’s Armed Forces, replaced Pak Yong-sik as defense chief, while Ri Myong-su, chief of the KPA’s general staff, was replaced by his deputy, Ri Yong-gil, according to the source.

These changes are in addition to Army Gen. Kim Su-gil’s replacement of Kim Jong-gak as director of the General Political Bureau of the Korean People’s Army. The replacement was confirmed in a North Korean state media report last month.

Earlier in the day, a Japanese newspaper carried a similar report.

“The North appears to have brought in new figures amid the changes in inter-Korean relations and the situation on the Korean Peninsula as the previous officials lacked flexibility in thinking,” the source said. “In particular, No Kwang-chol has been classified as a moderate person.”

The changes could also be aimed at taming the military because members of the armed forces could object to a denuclearization deal that leader Kim could make in the summit talks with U.S. President Donald Trump set for June 12 in Singapore. (more)

Reuters […] U.S. officials believe there was some dissension in the military about Kim’s approaches to South Korea and the United States….

This entry was posted in China, Donald Trump, N Korea, President Trump, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

122 Responses to North Korea Replaces Top Three Military Officials….

1. amwick says:

Leslie Eastman is an author at LI, I thought she had a good point.

• wheatietoo says:

My first thought was…”were these guys ChiCom overseers?”

Looks like I wasn’t the only one thinking that.

• Gil says:

Well if lil kim is free, what about all those in camps? Lets free all of them, esp if those men were the overseers and they are political prisoners. I bet kim can go a long way with his citizens if he does.

• fleporeblog says:

Here is Wictor’s entire thread!

My brother said he felt this is going to take years. I told him he was out of his mind. Our President works in Trump speed. He doesn’t see things like this happening in years. I truly believe it will all be wrapped up by the end of this calendar year. Maybe right before Christmas as a gift to the world!

I believe we will see an agreement to the end of the Korean War come out of the June 12th meeting.

They will propose another meeting sometime in the middle of August either at Camp David or Mar-a-Lago. The outcome from that Summit will be North Korea agreeing to get rid of all their ballistic missiles and we in return will agree to building a US Embassy in Pyongyang and having North Korea have an Embassy in our country.

There will than be a third Summit in South Korea in October where North Korea will agree to completely denuclearizing before the middle of December in return for us lifting all sanctions and having South Korea, Japan and the USA begin encouraging corporations to start building in North Korea. Humanitarian aid will be coming in from all circles of the globe.

• ivehadit says:

Sounds right, Flep!

• scott467 says:

” Humanitarian aid will be coming in from all circles of the globe.”

___________________

I’m not buying that last part, not for a second.

The generosity of THIS globe is truly underwhelming.

Whatever ‘aid’ there is, most of it will be coming from American tax payers, one way or the other. Whatever ‘foreign aid’ there is, most of their money is likely derived or siphoned off of American tax payers too.

• chim says:

Speaking frankly, I’d happily pay a little more for permanent peace with NK. To think that we could possibly make a friend of them….it’s astounding and an incredible measure of human good will. The only country unhappy would be China.

Can you think of anything more impactful in the modern history of diplomacy than getting a country to denuclearize without conflict??

• lokiscout says:

It has happened at least 3 times before. South Africa, Libya and I believe the Ukraine. Didn’t work out very well for Libya as a few years after shipping all their Neuk program to the US Hillary decided Kudaffy had to go. That is what spooked Li’le Kim when genius Pence started talking about the “Libyan Model” for handling the NoKo nukes.

• Dutchman says:

I think Brazil, too,….YES, Brazil. They didnt want it for defence, etc. They just wanted it so they could sit at the big kids table.

• lokiscout says:

Could be. South Africa got caught by one of our first generation nuclear detection satellites (VELA). They denied it but we had them dead to rights.

My old company built the satellites.

• Jan says:

We’ve been down this road with NoKo before: The US has given them tons of money and hand holding and it never worked. It just went towards their nuclearization. So without total denuclearization and destruction of all ballistic missiles and verification, don’t be so eager to throw more money at NoKo, especially when NONE of it is trickling down to the citizens. Changing out his head military could be a good sign, but this guy has killed or had killed family members, mentors, top military, etc. He is still a dictator and still under China’s thumb.

• Larry Worrell says:

We’ve been down this road before but we were travelling in the pre-Trump days. We now have a business man for President instead of a politician who only likes meeting, Summits, and photo ops. NoKo will denuke voluntarily or we will de-nuke them. And
              President Trump will not wait years and years either.

• floridahoosier93 says:

Peace in the Middle East would be pretty impactful to the world.

• carshop says:

I think Kim should watch his back. China might have him taken out to destablize NK.

• scott467 says:

“Speaking frankly, I’d happily pay a little more for permanent peace with NK. ”

__________________

Okay, but I was referring to the oft-claimed ‘global humanitarian aid’ which, 99 times out of a 100, if you scratch the label off, has “American Taxpayers” underneath.

Most of the world doesn’t even believe in humanitarian ‘aid’, they just like to virtue-signal about it. They can claim to be ‘doing good’ (with other people’s money, naturally).

And what good do they do, anyway?

Most so-called ‘charities’ are corrupt slush-funds for global monsters like the Clintons. Even the vaunted ‘U.N.’ is just a global rape-a-thon and child sex trafficking syndicate, wherever they go to ‘help’.

If I saw the U.N. coming to ‘help’ me in my hometown, I’d lock and load.

• wendy forward says:

So exciting. I want to go to-
        North Korea-Taoist cave paintings and Heavenly Lake.
        Saudi Arabia and Oman and Israel.

Just amazing times.

• Plain Jane says:

Bet Kim lobbies for going to Mar-a-Lago more than once. I would.

I don’t trust Kim’s sister. No logical reason why.

• helix35 says:

Don’t you love living in America at the speed of Trump.

• kevin miele says:

ummm yeah thats the PLAN -Q

• Why would China let all this happen? They do not want a free market North Korea. What’s in it for them to stay quiet?

• Sharpshorts says:

What’s in it for China? Perhaps just another place to sell their non-military crap to. NK of course must 1st have a way to pay for it but it could be a starting point…

Just keep em’ busy, Oddball

• Cat Lady says:

Why would China let all this happen?? Because Wilburine explained a few things to them and they want to SURVIVE economically!!

• Questioning says:

Replace Canada and Mexico as entry point into the USA. SK already has bi-lateral trade deals with America…..

• fleporeblog says:

Our President is completely overwhelming them right now! We can destroy their economy. That is some power leverage.

• President Trump has China on the ropes.

Particularly President Xi … already on notice for SUBVERTING peace and denuclearization. A false move from Xi could TERMINATE other countries’ willingness to take a chance in playing ball with his Belt and Road initiative … and might trigger them to start putting tariffs and quotas on imports from China to protect their own economies.

• Jedinovice says:

I am going to give an unorthodox opinion, though I cannot cite evidence as everything is opaque regarding Kim. Xi is more obvious to me. He’s hell bent on restoring Emperor worship and has to look invincible On the one hand that means not having Trump crush the Chinese economy but on the other Xi cannot let North Korea slip. The Chinese are WEDDED to their buffer zone state.

I grant I cannot cite any clear evidence except what I know about Xi’s messiah complex. It seems very odd to me that Xi would let North Korea ‘go’ and yet there is now talk of re-unification on the table, quietly but whispers about the secret talks that we now know have taken place.

So my guess is that the sanctions have taken North Korea to the very brink and a highly insecure Kim is sweating fearing uprising or assassination. The collapse of his testing site has blown his plans apart – and likely a literal Act of God. And I was praying!

So… I think Kim has finally figured he cannot rely on China anymore and that Xi is not his friend. We see Xi seeming to be taking control and yet… somehow failing. I think Kim might actually want out and a golden handshake. He was not bred to rule. He was thrown into the role of Divine Emperor and his behaviour has been so erratic that it suggests he was/is running scared. When the mountain collapsed… quiet terror set in.

I think Kim has been trying to play Trump and Xi off each other but Trump was not playing that game.

So what does China get out of this…? I am not sure this is about China any more. I think it was but thanks to Trump’s work he has broken the hold. Trump is playing both good cop and bad cop and Kim figures he might be able to do a Ferdinand Marcos or a Mugabe and retire with a fat golden handshake and personal harem somewhere.

I could be very wrong here, mind but I do not sense that China is in control anymore. I know that having their buffer state against the democratic South was been an absolutely non-negotiable up to now. I also wonder just how scared Kim might be by how mad Xi is!!! The guy is far crazier than people realise!

• Questioning says:

I also think the long game here is to replace NAFTA entry into the USA for Chinese goods with a reunited Korea. Funneling all of China/USA trade through the united Korea would quickly ease the pain of reunification.

• Benson II says:

Doubt there will be any foreign investment or corporation building that soon unless they want to list it under charity giving. There will have to be enough of a turn around that lasts for a long time before that kind of money will be invested.

2. The Boss says:

Cue Joe Biden…”This is a big f***ing deal!”

3. Do ya think Rocket Man is prepping his own battlefield?

4. Joe S says:

I love this quote from above:

“……..as the previous officials lacked flexibility in thinking,” the source said.”

5. CollusionMyth says:

Could it be that the 3 that were replaced were actually eliminated awhile ago?

6. Pam says:

Wow. This is happening just days before POTUS is scheduled to go to Singapore. Big deal indeed!

7. G-man says:

Yep. As we have seen before in dictatorships the military often takes control when they feel the leader is going the wrong direction. This could be a pre-emptive strike by Kim.

8. Boston Bean says:

I think Kim Jong Un is protecting himself from a coup during his absence at Singapore. A national leader abroad is vulnerable to a coup at home.

9. noswamp says:

I think its a little bit of everyone’s comments so far. Kim is prepping the stage.

10. Minnie says:

Being so conditioned to Kim’s treatment of adversaries, the first thought is, are they still alive?

• Benson II says:

Not if he’s smart. Sounds cruel but isn’t everything being done in N. Korea cruel and inhuman. If they have any influence it needs to be stopped and that’s how to do it.

11. Úlfhéðnar says:

The lack of an article in KCNA with pictures of the “replaced” officials being shot with ant-tank guns, is a good sign.

12. Cat Lady says:

Do you think this is the first BOOM that Q refers to, or do you think he’s talking about different events??

BOOM.
    BOOM.
    BOOM.
    BOOM.
    A WEEK TO REMEMBER.
    DARK TO LIGHT.
    BLACKOUT NECESSARY.
    Q

13. A2 says:

There were other changes made to ‘top’ leadership at the WPK plenum last week;

If interested, some truncated biographies of two of the elevated ones.Usually changes are made so that the Supreme Leader firmly controls the gov. especially the military.

Kim Su Gil bio:
    “Kim SG became a close adjutant to Kim Jong Un, accompanying the Suryo’ng on numerous military inspections and public events. Kim was part of Choe Ryong Hae’s May 2013 visit to China as Jong Un’s special representative. During the Fall of 2013, Kim Su Gil, like other close KPA aides and advisors to Kim Jong Un, lost one star on his shoulderboards, temporarily demoted back to Major General.

From his position at the MPAF, Kim was one of a group senior DPRK officials involved in the ouster and eventual dismissal and execution of Jang Song Taek in December 2013. Kim was elected to the 13th
    Supreme People’s Assembly in March 2014. In May 2014 he was appointed Chief Secretary of the Pyongyang WPK City Committee. One of his first public acts was issuing a public apology along with senior Ministry of People’s Security officials for the collapse of an apartment building in Pyongyang, despite the fact the construction preceded Kim Su Gil’s tenure. In May 2016, Kim was elected a full member of the WPK Central Committee and an alternate (candidate) member of the WPK Political
    Bureau.

In May 2018, Kim returned to the uniform military ranks and was appointed Director of the KPA General Political Department. He was also elected a member of the WPK Central Military Commission and promoted to four-star KPA General.”

Ri Yong-gil bio:

“Ri accompanied Kim Jong Un on several field inspections of KPA units. Ri also attended a meeting convened by Kim Jong Un after midnight on 29 March 2013, at which KJU signed orders putting KPA missile units on “stand-by” to potentially attack US and ROK military bases.

Ri was appointed Chief of the KPA General Staff in August 2013. He was removed from office at the first-ever joint expanded meeting of the WPK Central Committee and KPA Party Committee on February 2, 2016. Following his removal from office, Gen. Ri was rumored in international media reports to have been executed for corruption. However, he reappeared during the 7th Congress of the Workers’ Party of Korea in May 2016. He was elected a member of the 7th WPK Central Committee, an alternate member of the WPK Political Bureau and member of the WPK Central Military Commission. Prior to the convocation of the 7th Party Congress, Ri Yong Gil was appointed to his previous position of Director of the KPA General Staff Operations Bureau and concurrently 1st Vice Chief of the KPA General Staff, serving under VMar Ri Myong Su [Ri Myo’ng-su].”

• JC says:

Thank you for the info, A2. Tough to know what to make of it, and current status of either Kim SG or Ri YG, with decades of secrecy in such a bizarre and closed system. Have you drawn any conclusions from this and/or today’s developments?

• A2 says:

Not unusual to replace these guys. There was a first ever audit (since the 1990s) of the General Political Bureau (GPB) in 2017. That relates to this personnel shuffling. Kim3 is tightening control over various high-level gov/military units and the GBP controls personnel and financing of the military as they tend to become alternative power bases (access to resources through making and breaking the ‘rules’–misappropriations and malfeasance). The GPB would also be the unit that any outside investment monies for infrastructure would flow.

“Gen. Kim is highly trusted by Kim Jong Un. This is not the first time Jong Un has given Gen. Kim a high-profile position following significant political upheaval. Kim’s appointment to the Pyongyang Party Committee was a result of the 2013 investigation, dismissal and execution of Jang Song Taek (Chang So’ng-t’aek). The Pyongyang City WPK Committee was led by close Jang associate Mun Kyong Dok (Mun Kyo’ng-tok) and Mun’s immediate subordinates were all charter members of Jang’s patronage network. So, we can see Kim Su Gil as someone Kim Jong Un taps to lead a tainted institution following the agonizing reappraisals of an OGD housecleaning.”

• JC says:

Thank you, A2, for a clear and concise explanation. I have much to learn about NK and what our President faces as he navigates this particular and historical process. So grateful that you regularly post valuable information.

14. Bob Thoms says:

Any reason to think the letter gave us a heads up?

15. Jane Smith says:

Not sure…
    If I were a dictator, I wouldn’t be comfortable leaving the limit of my control.
    If I were a dictator in North Korea, I probably don’t control Singapore.
    So, I wouldn’t be comfortable leaving North Korea to go to Singapore.
    I would be afraid of everything.
    I would even carry my own bottle of water that never leaves my side.
    I would worry that every agent from there …were trying to wipe a deadly agent on me or a gas that I might breath…they want me dead…

16. cthulhu says:

Dear Mr. President,

I have been seeing a trend associated with you regarding America winning, world change toward the good, and the right and decent prevailing. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

/s/ cthulhu

17. bessie2003 says:

This article that A2 had posted earlier in a comment reply speaks to the steps we should look for to see if NK is really looking to change. The change in people in high places may indicate we are seeing one of those steps taking place:

18. Jane Smith says:

Sundance,
    This is a strange thread…
    It reminds me of Myanmar and Cuba when they were first asking for our help.

19. cthulhu says:

I can really believe that nine days from now, the Armistice of July 27, 1953 might be supplanted by a joint resolution declaring the end of the Korean War.

On the one hand, it wouldn’t mean much — the previous Armistice was hung-up over POWs at the time, who are surely long dead. And Un did just off his brother in KL using forbidden WMDs….which will and should shade a further relationship. But to “end the war” 65 years after an armistice……that’s a lot of missed chances.

• scott467 says:

“But to “end the war” 65 years after an armistice……that’s a lot of missed chances.”

__________________

Orchestrated ‘missed chances’, every last one of them.

The status quo was beneficial to China, and the status quo was beneficial to the Deep State / globalists, and the status quo was beneficial to the political-class.

If that were not so, it wouldn’t have taken 65 years.

But it is so, which is why it would have taken another 650 years, if those who benefited from the misery of North Korea had their way.

They should all be charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity.

• jello333 says:

“And Un did just off his brother in KL using forbidden WMDs…”

But did he, really? Someone did, yeah… but was it Un? I’m now beginning to wonder how much power the guy really had all along, I mean from the moment he took over for his father. Maybe it was NEVER really him.

• Hoosier says:

How do you know Un was the one offing his half brother? I don’t think he was a threat to Un, rather he was a threat to the generals. Un just wants a McD’s within 5 minutes. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g294265-c10646-Singapore.html

He wants burgers and shakes for his people. Why do you think Trump will be hosting in Singapore? A friggin infinity pool on top of a magnificent building.

20. Paul B. says:

A very hopeful sign, indeed, and cause for continued guarded optimism. I can only conclude that China is leaning hard on Kim.

Beside regearing for the coming changes, Kim is protecting his rear end. There was talk that the military, ingrained in power for decades, was not happy about this unexpected rapprochement and might not have acquiesced so easily.

As for the generals, promotion is probably not a terrible safe thing in NK.

21. Jane Smith says:

Sundance,
    I hope that you realize what you have here.
    Please protect it.

22. mr.piddles says:

So. CIA got Kim’s six on this? Maybe a little hand with the logistics, hm?

• scott467 says:

If the CIA is involved, then Kim’s as good as dead.

Might as well be counting on the FIB and DOJ.

• lokiscout says:

scott, haven’t you heard? The CIA has been Ruling NoKo since ’53! President Trump somehow got them to stand down and that is why Kim is now allowed to seek piece and join the world!
        s/ to my mind but I did read it here on a thread not long ago!

• Cat Lady says:

You’ll notice that a former CIA director (Pompeo) made secret trips to NOKO and has been instrumental in the process!! There may be something to that (that the CIA has been running the place the whole time), though to what degree we may never know!!

23. JoD says:

“Replaced.” What, no firing squad?

24. jello333 says:

Nice! Months ago, when we first started talking about the possibility of something good happening re. NKorea, I said that while I was totally confident that Kim himself wanted to change, I was worried that there might be “generals” who were actually running things. I’m sure I’m not the only person who considered that… but I’m happy to see that if I WAS right, that something is (apparently) being done to fix the problems. Not only that, but it’ll allow Kim a bit of flexibility when it comes time to start explaining to his people WHY things have been so bad for so long there. It’ll help him immensely if he can tell his people. “Just like you all, I was a prisoner in my own way…” (It would also be great, and take tremendous courage on his part, if he could lay some of the blame at the feet of his father and grand-father. Not holding my breath on that one, though.)

25. Ray Van Dune says:

Kim is taking active steps to ensure stability at home while he is in Singapore, while Trump is keeping hands off, allowing the shit to hit the fan while he is also there. Different strokes, as they say.

• Charlotte says:

North Korea’s ship-to-ship transfers for imports of critical items such as oil appear to have become more widespread as it works to lift sanctions pressure through talks with the U.S., according to Japanese officials.

On Tuesday, Japan said one of its military aircraft spotted a North Korean cargo ship this month connected by hoses to what appeared to be a Chinese-flagged vessel in the East China Sea, the fifth case of a possible North Korean maritime transfer reported in the same region by Tokyo this year.

Additionally, many other North Korean ships have been seen recently appearing to take on cargo in a new region, the Sea of Japan, one senior Japanese official said. Those cases can’t be made public yet because they are still under investigation, the official added, declining to be more specific on the number of cases.

Ship-to-ship transfers to North Korean ships are banned by U.N. sanctions, as are almost all oil deliveries to North Korea.

26. Kate says:

I am so excited about this summit coming up this month, my daughter who lives in Hong Kong with her husband who fly’s for Fed Ex will be in Singapore during this time and will be able to witness hopefully a world historical event, I told them I am living through them. What a wonderful time to live in America under this great president.

27. Bill says:

This could be as simple as Kim wants a country to return to.
    Doesn’t want a coup to take place while he is out of the country.

28. Mickturn says:

Little Kimmy is thinking: My Arse or Nukes…Hmmmmm, I’ve decided My Arse is more important!
    (Here’s hoping…)

29. Please says:

If China is truly in control of puppet NK, then they made the decision to replace these three.

The question is, why? Were the ‘old 3’ pro-USA ? Were the ‘old 3’ too anti-China?

30. jmclever says:

The more I watch this unfold, the more I wonder if NK is a willing proxy or a slave proxy? Recall the story POTUS Trump told about the brand new baby in NoKo hauled away in a bucket and deemed unworthy to live because its father was Chinese? Doo the NoKo people despise the Chinese for reasons we do not understand? Have the NoKo people (including their dear leader, tho a privileged slave for show) been the victims? Complicated business indeed!

31. pocketnuke61 says:

So, do the NoKos “retire” their military leaders the same way old Joe Stalin did?

• benifranlkin says:

Yup..and that’s how Stalin manged to live a long wicked life until a cerebral hemorrhage killed him at 75.

32. Buck Turgidson says:

Yes we have been down this road before with North Korea, but we were being “led” by inept calculating idiots like clinton dubya and obozo. Complete morons with no business whatsoever being in the White House. Trump runs rings around these clowns and the conditions are completely different. the American people mainly do not understand the ineptness of recent administrations and how little they cared one bit about lives of average Americans. Trump’s got this just like he’s got a lot of other stuff.