President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump host French President Macron and Mrs. Macron for an official state dinner at the White House.   The arrival will be livestreamed.

UPDATE: Video Added

Pictures below

Sorry…. had to sneak in a picture of our favorite Commerce Secretary, Wilbur Ross.

WH Livestream Link (pending) – Alternate Livestream Link (active)

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, FLOTUS, France, media bias, Melania Trump, President Trump, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

656 Responses to The Arrival of President Macron and Mrs. Macron To State Dinner – 7:00pm Livestream

1. sundance says:

2. sundance says:

3. sundance says:

4. sundance says:

5. sundance says:

6. sundance says:

7. sundance says:

• Tegan says:

Oh my, Some terribly unfortunate gowns selections by a few. Honestly, don’t they look in the mirrors in many directions and then have someone’s honest opinion before they decide?

• kea says:

Tegan when you watch the ‘stars’ come in for award shows I often wonder ‘do you even own a mirror’. But yes I agree!!!

• vicschick says:

You took the words right outta my mouth. I think Karen Pence is lovely but she needs a better bra and perhaps someone helping her pick out flattering outfits. This one is an epic fail.

• Charlie says:

These are real people, not made up, rented nor groomed for hours people.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

I’ll Play…can I? I’m not the entire way down the thread yet, but for now, I’ll say..

Mnuchin’s wife…for the gown…Robert’s wife…..naw…not in the running. Purple ain’t doin it in the spring

OK….let’s play.

• Charlie says:

Purple is the new blue and is a favorite in gardens, appropriate for the French.
          Melania for the gold in platinum, Mrs. Kissinger silver for the ruffled hair look and a big NO for speakers liberal-progressive wife.

• Tegan says:

Sure you can play, Gunny…it’s just like the Oscars or the Miss America pageant. Agree with you…hands down Mrs Mnuchin’s gown the best…including, sorry to say, Melania’s. It didn’t do a thing for me…thought the inauguration gown much more becoming.
          And, I thought POTUS . Looked unusually sober or tired tonight….as though he’s gotten some very disturbing news. He could hardly muster a smile or pleasant look for the photos…unlike him.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

Thanks Tegan….it’s nice for some levity once in a while…

Yeah…I did notice he looked concerned the entire time….it may be Korea….or a difference with Macron over Iran….

Also Macron’s wife doesn’t smile too much…too bad, she has a nice smile..

Thanks for the post Tegan..

• Snow White says:

I was thinking the same thing Regan. PT seemed to have something weigh in his mind, not his usual smiley self.

• missilemom says:

Have spent a lot of time in DC; the worst dressed big city in the world I have ever been in.
        Its quite shocking except for Melania who hopefully will drain the fashion swamp in DC.

• jello333 says:

Oh no, no… honest opinions aren’t always the best option!

• New Nonna to be Again!!! says:

Standing up straight, like some others very much do, would’ve helped muchly.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

I always kinda liked her…but she could use some “support”

And him….why does he always have to stand like that robot from “War of the Worlds”S?

A smile would help

• missilemom says:

Give me a week with Karen Pence. A beautiful person inside should shine.

• olderwiser21 says:

I really hate to say this but Mrs. Pence desperately needs help with a stylist. She, I am sure, is a really lovely woman, but her professional appearance as the Vice-President’s wife should be approached with some seriousness. This dress was awful – ill fitting, unflattering, just awful. Honestly, I have never seen her in anything that flatters her. Someone needs to step in and give her some advice and correctly tailor a wardrobe for her.

8. Publius2016 says:

Great event! Congratulations to Melania and her staff!

9. sundance says:

10. sundance says:

11. Everywhereguy says:

Last official state visit (as opposed to far less formal working visits or official visits) for Germany was in 1992. Just sayin’. Looked it up.

Trump is sending a message to Germany and the U.K. that he can find other top European allies if they want to have bad policies he doesn’t agree with.

12. sundance says:

13. sundance says:

14. sundance says:

15. Minnie says:

Thanks fir the links!

16. sundance says:

17. Publius2016 says:

Wonder if Adm. Jackson will attend?

18. sundance says:

19. Niagara Frontier says:

The French President is late for dinner! He better have a good excuse.

20. Bob Thoms says:

OMG…………..FLOTUS is knock out !

• Bob Thoms says:

drumrolll…………………..

• kea says:

PHOTO I NEED A PHOTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

• Bob Thoms says:

oppps not the dress tonight. my apologies.

• kea says:

Bob Thoms no need to apologize for posting a beautiful photo of the two of them! 🙂

• ChristineInLA says:

I agree! I think they frumped her up purposely this time. She has rarely had a miss in my book, but this one looks like a sequined apron to me. Sorry. She is gorgeous and I was surprised by the choice. Maybe because so many of the other wives are so much…less attractive.

• Not to worry. This dress, live, is gorgeous. This type of dress rarely photographs well because one of its best qualities is how it gleams with light with each movement.

It’s not a miss. There have been several who have worn these to other events and fashion critics, far kinder to their left peers of course, have remarked on it.

She wore a dress that would be stunning in person…clearly not concerned if it photographed well.

That is confidence.

• olderwiser21 says:

Sadly, Christine, I agree. Melania’s Chanel dress to me was just so, so, although a very expensive so so. The little fuzzy angular pocket flaps on the front were terrible and I thought the sheer bottom piece ruined the continuity of the otherwise beautiful hand painted fabric. Also, I felt like she should have worn her hair up due to the formality of the occasion. It was just a bit of a miss. Hard for her to do. The stunning Michael Kors suit she wore earlier in the day was amazing, not to mention that hat!!!

• LULU says:

Not tonight…

• patrickhenrycensored says:

• bessie2003 says:

What a great link – White House Fashion! It’s a new favorite for following what the First Lady, and Ivanka are wearing! Great find!

• Deb says:

Chanel is the quintessential French design house. Nice nod to French culture by our FLOTUS.

• Exactly. Givenchy. Chanel. So many of the classics. She doesn’t have to have a squad of 30 scrambling to find something haute couture and current that will be flattering, as our former first lady (I am stopping my fingers from writing any of a number of snide, descriptive adjectives here cuz I don’t want to sink to the level of the creeps), had to do.

When I went to a snooty school I met a lot of nouveau riche and old money. Now this doesn’t say that old money cannot also have nouveau riche tendencies….Most of our Hollywood stars these days strongly have the stench of nouveau riche.

On the other hand, there are people who came from comparative squalor who just always had innate dignity. It’s something that happens when you see all people as our founders did, individual lives with limitless potential unhampered by class level.

Melania possesses that.

I HAD old money in my family and though it was lost nearly a hundred years ago through a despicable betrayal, of a certain Mr. Moneybags who has a museum named after him in Chicago, my family taught me everything I needed to know about what class and generosity and respect for mankind (no apologies for a word that is convenient and well understood) is, no matter your circumstances.

Donald Trump’s mother reportedly had that. His father had it and the brilliant and charismatic brother he adored, who died so tragically from drugs and alcohol and smoking, reportedly had it.

This love of blue collar and perfect comfort with those of influence and those with none, was learned by example.

• Deb says:

You sound like a quintessential American! If only we had more Patriots like you and your family. You should write a novel about your family and their experiences, it sounds like it would be a fascinating American story.

• olderwiser21 says:

Wrong event, Bob. However, this dress was actually much better than the one she wore to the dinner last night. So beautiful!

21. Minnie says:

Stunning!!

Beautiful!!!

God Bless President and First Lady Trump 🙏

❤️❤️❤️🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸❤️❤️❤️

22. floridawoman4trump says:

Thank you for all the great photos, Sundance!

23. Bob Thoms says:

FLOTUS is wearing Chanel.

24. WeThePeople2016 says:

Melania looks beautiful as usual. I have to say Mrs. Macron looks fabulous in that gown too.

25. Sylvia Avery says:

Melania is wearing hand painted haute couture Chanel gown with crystals.

26. sundance says:

27. hatterasgal says:

Our First Lady is the most beautiful!!!! The Chanel dress is gorgeous, check out the back too…………….

28. No one does it better, no one does it more graciously or more beautifully, a diamond superior to all diamonds, OUR First Beautiful Lady Melania💖💖💖

29. wheatietoo says:

Our First Lady looked radiant in her shimmering gown.
    Such impeccable taste and grace.

Well I guess that’s all we get, in the way of coverage for this…no press weasels allowed inside.
    Which is good. I’m glad they kept them out.

Hopefully we’ll get some still shots and a bit if video, afterward.

30. sundance says:

• kea says:

Both look wonderful.

• NJF says:

Mrs. Macron’s dress is really pretty. Very flattering.

I didn’t get a good look at Ivankas dress.

• Sylvia Avery says:

There’s a photo of her and Jared in the Daily Mail. It is pink with I think small black polka dots, flowers at the waist, and then the skirt is a series of flounces or ruffles.

• Chgonana539 says:

Not to be too catty but I do not like Ivanka’s dress. Too princessy..

• I like Ivanka’s dress because her face and hair give her a sort of cameo air and I think she realizes that by wearing these dresses that are almost of another time.

• FelineFine says:

Her bright red lipstick seems a little too harsh for that dress.

• Unfortunately it IS a trend to have the bright red, even with many who ought to know better. A power color that i think is a miss on too many. But again, I think Ivanka’s makeup is subtle enough that her eyes are not competing with the lipstick and so it works. She has a mouth that, still, is very adaptable to colors. From a strictly artistic standpoint it is shapely enough that the whole face is pretty and balanced, no matter what lipstick color.

• Tegan says:

Feline…might first thought as well…also the black shoes are too harsh for the “fairy look” which she can usually pull off very well.
              Used to be in the National beauty pageant world so am undoubtedly too darn critical…sorry.

• As I wrote elsewhere, it’s so subjective that I don’t think our personal preferences ought to be criticized. We are grown ups on our side of the ethical/moral/political spectrum. Still believe in free speech and free thought without dire consequences. 😉 So in other words I think that your personal experiences make your opinion completely understandable and valid. 😉

• kea says:

DM also mentions the price… rolls eyes

• HOW dare they, after what Michelle shelled out for her gowns and they BRAGGED about the cost?

I live for the day when hypocrisy rightly brought up and condemned gives them their comeuppance!

• kea says:

LOL very true. And yes the pinata dress must have cost an arm and a leg and should be burned….

• Tegan says:

I’ll NEVER forget the $20,000 dress for Malia and almost as much for Sasha’s dress…AS TEENAGERS…when they attended a state dinner. Blew my mind.

• And that reminds me of when the Bush daughters (sadly now both are very much in RINO land and on the left. Barbara works enthusiastically for Planned Parenthood PR and fundraising) were caught, during college, having a beer.

Meanwhile HOW MANY TIMES has Malia been caught drunk and stoned???

If I had been told that, rather than the undeniably cushy lifestyle they’ve had, the Obamas had previously lived in a trashy trailer park (a distinction because I know of some lovely trailer parks) I would have been totally able to believe it.

• olderwiser21 says:

Ivanka’s dress was by Rodarte. So pretty and fun! A really wonderful nod to spring in D.C. She looked stunning – one of my favorites of the night.

• H.R. says:

NJF: “Mrs. Macron’s dress is really pretty. Very flattering.”

Absolutely first rate for a State Dinner.

I think she turned herself over to one of the classic designers in Paris. She probably said, “Make some outfits that show France in its best light and make me look good in them.”

Who knows? Or perhaps she got a few designer’s phone numbers to call from Melania. And perhaps Melania sent pictures of her outfits and told Mrs. Macron to have her crew work up outfits to complement each other’s. Their outfits did complement each other, so how’d that happen without a little back channel communication?

Oh, and I think the new ease and comfort level we’re seeing on this trip is because there will be absolutely no criticism or sniping about her on this trip. Every outfit she’s worn has nailed it as befitting France’s First Lady on the world stage. Oh wait. No when she gets back she’ll be criticized for “putting on airs. Now get back to your mini-skirts.”

I really believe we’d all be cringing right now if she had been left to her own devices.

• From Paris to Brittany, from finance ministers to aristocrats to secretaries, when I was in France almost every woman I met had an instinct for fashion…and if you look online to some women who advise on fashion from France they will tell you the same thing: makeup is generally less than in America and fashion tends toward classic unless you are in the entertainment or a slave to the trends.

• WSB says:

Have you noticed, Melania has taken to not wearing any jewelry except her rings. Not even earings.

• I had not noticed that she’d none at all but I saw it was sparse. That is so classic. And the French also (I remember because a very courteous gentleman on a train remarked upon all the bling I was wearing. Only be listening very carefully did I realize that he was politely trying to tell me it was too much. It was one of the most gentlemanly chastisements of my life. . .delivered by a courtly gentleman who may have had an eye for fashion but was also thoroughly old world and thoroughly masculine) recommend simplicity..the tasteful French. I’m not defending the current jet set French as they remind me of Hollywood.

• annieoakley says:

Mrs. Macron looks spectacular too. I have to give her credit for not trying to look too young and still looking very attractive.

• auscitizenmom says:

Yes, the only real complaint I have had about Brigitte was that she was actually trying to dress too young.

• annieoakley says:

A common desire among women trying to compete even a little bit these days.

• aCtually if you go to FRance there is not the stigma of what to wear per a certain age. They avoid it by wearing clothing that is wearable at many ages because it is classic. I think that the simple lines, the lack of prints and the few accessories is French chic exactly.

CAtherine Deneuve once said that she detested the fear of aging in America. That is partly why she did not partake of more opportunities to decamp to Hollywood when she was in her heyday.

• My comments derive from my time there visiting my then French fiance, so this is not ala fashion magazines but from real live French women.

• annieoakley says:

Good taste is timeless and hard to come by. I have seen very wealthy women ‘try to hard’ and it shows, no matter which side the pond.

• What I have seen, and I agree with you about the scarcity of good taste in these times when gauche and tacky and brazen and anti- FEMININE is the rage, is that nouveau riche women all too often have an enormous insecurity about everything and they never become comfortable in their own skin.

I love watching Triple Crown races on television, but as of 4 years ago Hollywood, NEW Hollywood invaded, and when you see what these wannabes wear to the races it is so over the top that you can see how badly we’ve been misled by Hollywood hotties and fashion that revels in sex and exploiting pre-pubescent girls.

31. sundance says:

32. fedback says:

The President will have two scoops of ice cream at the state dinner, everyone else gets one

33. NJF says:

I thought her dress was gorgeous & then she turned around. Lol. I’m speaking of FLOTUS of course.

34. Artist says:

My husband ( Marines ) noticed the military standing at the entrance with their weapons in an unfamiliar stance with the weapon on the ground at their right foot, holding the barrel with both hands, similar to Parade Rest….is this French, or ??????
    Anyone know???

• Deb says:

State Dinners gave their own protocols, I’d love to hear from someone in the know what is happening.

• 🍺Gunny66 says:

They are probably not at parade rest….there is a “salute with a rifle” with the rifle on the ground or while the rifle is in your shoulders..

The salute with a rifle is;

The rifle is on the ground..at what is called “order arms”..The rifle is on the ground always on your right side, next to and touching your right foot.

If a salute is necessary with a rifle in that position, you continue to hold your rifle with your right hand, ant then you bring your left hand over sharply touching the rifle just below the muzzle of the weapon. Your hand is in the same form as a normal hand salute to your head gear..

This is very common in the military…

35. missilemom says:

Coco Chanel ” A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.”

• piper567 says:

Mrs. Macron looks fabulous.
      Definitely stepping into her “role”. She has looked quite appropriate in every setting on this trip.

• jello333 says:

A question, and I’m not trying to be funny here: Do these people (anyone in their position) just automatically know what to do at every moment, where to stand, where to move to next, etc? I’d think there’d be some kind of rehearsal or something, right?

• There IS actually a whole world of etiquette that I’m sure long time staff teaches anyone who is new to the world.

On the other hand, Melania, as a world model and Trump’s wife would in both instances have had to learn customs and etiquette when dealing with protocol.

Mr and Mrs Macron are probably the newer to it, although one cannot be too long in politics without having a crash course.

And apparently the Obamas didn’t pay any attention, given how they behaved to the Queen of England, how Obama bowed to countless dictators, how he kept Netanyahu waiting while dining with his family and how he routinely stood up the military on so many occasions, most notably Memorial Day (s).

36. NJF says:

Grrrr. Bullet point in the DM article posted earlier.

“Democratic members of Congress are expected not to attend, nor are traditional members of the White House press corps”

THEY WEREN’T INVITED! Don’t act like they were & and they are choosing not to attend.

37. Pam says:

Both FLOTUS and Mrs. Macron look very stunning. Ivanka is a beautiful woman but the dress, not so much. It’s always nice to see that winning smile on our Wilburine’s face. Thanks for all of the photos Sundance! 😀

• Donna in AZ says:

I guess that my taste is all in my mouth. It seems that I’m the only person who thinks that Ivanka’s dress is beautiful. 😀

• Sylvia Avery says:

No you’re not. Others here have liked it. And Ivanka liked it and she has great taste.

It is too busy for me to get really excited about it, but I can admire it for what it is expressing.

And heck, Ivanka would look good in a plastic Hefty bag.

• AmericaFirst says:

I actually like Ivanka’s dress better than I like Melania’s, though I think she always looks like the beautiful woman that she is. Only a very slender woman like Ivanka could carry off those layers of big ruffles.

• MfM says:

After Melania’s stunning outfit with hat earlier today, I was expecting an amazing outfit tonight. I was disappointed.

The top 4/5ths were fine, even great, the bottom see through area looked like an after thought. It would have liked it better if the skirt had been one fabric.

• FelineFine says:

Ditto.

• This dress is a dress that you wear when you have great confidence. IT is of a style that hardly ever photographs well, but in person it is an absolutely gleaming delight.

Although I no longer watch awards red carpets because most of the stars offend me, I go way back in years and I remember how frequently the sequined gowns were reported to be shown very badly in photographs while stealing the show in real life.

Melania clearly had zero fears about whether or not she photographed well, proving that her confidence was there AND she cared more about how those who were actually there would see it.

I am nearly 100% certain that this dress does not disappoint up close. 🙂

• singingsoul says:

Melania carries the dress. Ivanka tonight is carried by the dress.
          Each woman has a dress that is a reflection of their personality.
          Ivanka still can wear a playful dress as this on she is wearing but soon no longer.
          I love the dress for a garden party but then there are lots of cherrie blossoms on display .
          With the hair up and that style of dress of Ivanka’s it has a Spanish influence. She is showing off diversity with that dress..

• Kay Emig says:

… and this dress doesn’t have any tacky cut-outs, or off bias fabric patches that create uneven hemlines or bear any resemblance to a piñata or is too short for State functions like some of the other little things she’s worn. While not classically elegant, the retro-restyling in a cheerful ‘prom dress’ mode is an improvement…

• The more I look at it the more I like it… it looks better in motion than in static picture… I may even like it by the end of the evening 🙂

• tvollrath66 says:

I love it . I like polka-dots. She is young and beautiful. Our potus’s first daughter.

• ladypenquin says:

No, I loved her dress, and went I watched her entrance video I really think the dress suited her beautifully. I like girly things, even though I’m past that age, but she has no need to enter that ‘look’ yet. In fact, I’d love to see more glamorous full gowns come back. Dresses too…

• You’re not alone Donna. Ivanka is lovely and exudes happiness. My granddaughter would be in awe of a lovely princess!

• Donna, scroll upward. You’ll see there was a whole bunch of us that gave it a thumbs up with a marvelous variety of reasons why. Good reading. 🙂

• WSB says:

Should have had much strappier black or pink shoes.

• olderwiser21 says:

No, Donna – lots of people have loved Ivanka’s gown – including me!!!

38. beach lover says:

I have to say, our most wonderful POTUS looks very dashing as well!

39. fedback says:

President Trump looks awesome in a tuxedo. First Lady most beautiful woman in the world

• piper567 says:

feedback, oh, gosh yes!
      That short jacket w/white bow tie he had on at The Roast, as he looked down on the delusional hrc just was SO handsome.
      Still dig it up and look at it once in a while.

40. Alonzo says:

I bet the fashion designers who refused to dress Melania, are regretting their decision. She makes whatever she wears look fabulous, no matter what it is. We have a beautiful FLOTUS and an AWESOME POTUS.

• ImHopeful says:

I was thinking about that myself – all those jerk designers who protested – what a bunch of idiots. Seriously.
      Our FLOTUS looks amazing and all 4 of them look very stylish and completely appropriate. Very impressed and hope they enjoy a lovely dinner.

• fedback says:

Had the First Lady been married to a liberal president, media would crown her the world’s leading fashion icon and the most beautiful woman in the world. Which she is

• ImHopeful says:

Absolutely agree – she would be gracing magazine covers left and right and designers would be falling over themselves to dress her.

• piper567 says:

ImHopeful,
          Its really kinda stunning that ideological purity seems to have overtaken greed amongst the elite in media and entertainment.
          I’m not sure what this means, but I do find it worth pondering. A big shift, as sundance says, Because Trump.
          Maybe its something to do with a lemming mentality, which doesn’t seem to me to be a very wise path to follow.
          The faster you run, the less you see of what is around you.
          Ms Candace Owens and her newly minted partner-in-crime, Kanye West, seem to be the latest laser-light that this crowd scrambles to follow, en masse, toward what we can only hope is the nearest cliff.
          They choose to miss the boat re Flotus. I hope this is indicative of them missing what is going on around them, as this is most definitely to our advantage.
          As we on the Trump train gain momentum, I am very interested in how people are bailing on these hypocritical morons.
          People bailing and leaving the moronic cognoscenti somewhere on an island of their own making continues to be something I rather look forward to

41. Publius2016 says:

Mrs. Macron reminds me of Ivana Trump now, President Trump’s First wife.

42. sundance says:

43. Linus in W.PA. says:

Anyone happen to know the ages of Macron and his wife?

She seems quite a bit older than him.