Representative Jim Jordan (R-OH) frustratingly questions his good friend Attorney General Jeff Sessions about the standard for the DOJ to appoint a special counsel and/or investigate the brutally obvious legal issues/implications surrounding the “Steele Dossier”, the Clinton campaign and the weaponization of the intelligence community (FBI) to undermine political opposition (Trump).

As you can see above, Attorney General Jeff Sessions is reluctant to investigate based on appearances. The end result of Sessions’ position is to extend the investigative responsibility to congress. The end result of congress conducting investigations is the road to nowhere, See: Fast and Furious, Benghazi, IRS, VA Scandal etc….

Sessions is advocating for the familiar; for the swamp retainment system, or as I prefer to call it: Flak and Countermeasures.

Politically speaking, the deployment of countermeasures is a tactic used by professional politicians in Washington DC to counter incoming public inquiry and protect themselves from anger expressed by the electorate.

Weaponized government takes action and creates victims. Previously it was us (IRS etc.), in the latest examples it is Donald Trump.  It doesn’t matter who is the victim, the strategy is the same – the strategy is simple.  Countermeasures are politicians assigned a role to control the incoming righteous inquiry from voters who find out about the weaponized or corrupt governmental action.

1.) The electorate become aware of a political issue or action; often illegal.

2.)  The electorate become angry.

3.) DC needs to protect itself.

4.) Countermeasures are assigned and deployed to delay, obfuscate and create the illusion of investigation of the illegal governmental action.

5.) Electorate watch.

6.) Investigation goes nowhere.

7.) Countermeasure deployment successful.

Repeat.

Recent examples:

The countermeasures are deployed to act as shiny distractions keeping the larger electorate satisfied something is being done.  Countermeasures are designed to create investigations that go nowhere.

The goal is not resolution or justice; the goal is to deflect, create distraction and eventually dilute/diminish the outrage over time.  Keep kicking the can until it rusts and simply falls apart.

Nothing to see here.  Move along, move along now folks… stop looking at that old stuff… that’s past us… it’s new stuff now… etc.

The political system in Washington DC has become so massive it is now capable of protecting itself.  Any attempt to reduce the influence, scope or size of the system is considered a risk.   The system is, in essence, protecting itself.  Deep State is self-aware.

Political countermeasures are now deployed as human articles of self-preservation.

Cue the audio visual demonstration – NOTE 07:43  (just hit play)

This entry was posted in AG Jeff Sessions, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Cold Anger, Decepticons, Deep State, Dept Of Justice, Donald Trump, FBI, Jeff Sessions, media bias, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

727 Responses to AG Jeff Sessions: “‘Looks Like’ is not enough basis to appoint a special counsel”…

1. H&HC, 2nd-16th says:

I know this is a re-post, but doing so makes me feel better. Sorry.

The good guys better strike first before Mueller does. If he gets the first shot off and it lands close to the President, then any SP or inquiry into U1, Hillary, Comey, et al will look like and be accused of being a political payback.

SCREW THESE PEOPLE – LOCK and LOAD – FIX BAYONETS – time for action.

2. Lulu says:

I want scorched earth. I hope all the dirt they have on Sessions comes out. Along with all the sins/crimes of every Congressman and Senator and Justice Roberts.

3. FL_GUY says:

For all you people bashing Sessions, I have a question. Did you spend this much time, effort and passion bashing Holder or Lynch? Bashing them day after day for years? If so, I’d like to hear about it.

As for Sessions public appearances, they are not going to reveal anything and will be so ambiguous that everyone can draw any conclusions that they want from his answers. The man is a lawyer; that’s how they roll. I’ve had enough dealings with lawyers over the years to know how they operate. Sessions is not going to say anything definitive. If he did, whatever cases he is working on will be compromised. They could be ready to arrest HilLIARy tomorrow but we wouldn’t hear it from Sessions in any public hearing.

Also, the legal process moves very slooooooow. I knew a guy once who was a lawyer. He had to go out of town on a case that had started 7 years previously when he was at another firm. It took 7 years for the case to reach trial. That’s just how it works. If you have dealings with lawyers, they are never in a hurry because the legal process is designed to move slow. So, we may be frustrated at how slow things are moving on cleaning up the corruption but when you look at the ramifications of just what is at stake, Capital crimes, it has to be done right the first time. That means secret and slow. And, as time goes by, more and more of the dirty facts about HilLIARy and the D-Rats are getting out to the public that were not available a year ago.That will only increase day by day. JMHO

• Payday says:

YesI. I sure did! I could tell holder was corrupt from day one.

• GetReal says:

We knew Holder and Lynch were scumballs and liars. We trusted Trump/Sessions when they promised us equal justice under the law time and time again. They LIED to us and deserve the wrath of the Deplorables.

• rumpole2 says:

Big difference….
      Holder and Lynch were both all-in supporting their guy (Obama).. even to the point of corruption, contempt of Congress etc.

• amwick says:

So you don’t think AG Sessions is a man of ethics? Really?… who here knows him personally, has actually spoken with him, seen him in real life.? Anyone? Has anyone worked for him or with him?

• rumpole2 says:

Apparently Sessions is a “man of ethics”… and a nice guy to boot.

I am NOT suggesting Trump needs an AG who will abandon ethics (as Holder and Lynch did)… that is the Democrat way… but Trump does need an AG with a lot more drive… with a “killer instinct”. It is Sessions choice to go all-in on the corrupt Hillary thing.. or not. Clearly he chooses not.

• amwick says:

I believe he has the drive. I think he follows the rule of law to the letter, and it makes him look bad.

• amwick says:

Maybe I actually know someone that knows him (for years) outside of politics, maybe I asked about him, because I was confused myself. … As close as I am ever going to get to some unbiased information.

• rumpole2 says:

Maybe we have to agree to disagree. 🙂
              My perspective is only what I see reported.(results) IMO Sessions is NOT the right man for the AG job. His talents may well be great in some other role.

• amwick says:

That is just fine.. You are a proof is in the pudding type.. which is very mostly sensible. What happens when the pudding takes years to cook? You want desert right after dinner,,, I suppose we all do.

• When I come down on Jeff Sessions, it is not because I dislike him, that I do not respect him or that I think he is evil or even that he has ignoble intentions. However, there are some flies in the Sessions ointment.

He, quite simply, seems to lack a fire in his gut to do what the American citizenry needs accomplished by an AG in this era of American history.

He has frustrated my President to the nth degree, and muddled up the MAGA agenda on several promises that P Trump promised the deplorables in his campaign.

No one had any idea that he would simply recuse himself on about everything that really matters to us. P Trump has said publicly that had he known Sessions was going to recuse himself, Sessions should have just told him this, and he would have nominated someone else for this position. Sessions did not–this was wrong and even borders on the unethical.

When Sessions recused himself, in the same document he appointed a deputy AG named Dana Boente to act in his stead concerning any case in which Sessions personally might have a conflict of interest. Where is Boente? This guy seems to have just been silenced by the DOJ.

When Sessions told Jason Chaffetz that he did not intend to investigate the Clintons and that he intended to skate through the AG position into retirement, this appears to be exactly what he meant.

There are some investigations underway right now according to breaking news on the networks both yesterday and today. However, these appear to be only because P Trump has stayed on his butt and forced these actions out of him–Not due to anything Jeff Sessions wanted.

Jeff Sessions needs to move down to Gulf Shores AL and retire. I will be glad to buy him a beer the next time I go down there and have some friendly conversation with him, because he was one hell of a Senator, he just sucks in this job……

• SpanglishKC says:

It is possible to think you are doing the right thing and BE WRONG… such as Sessions is now… We Ned’s virtuous but vicious take no prisoners approach… Sessions feels like a plant by the swamp at this point

• booger71 says:

A man of ethics would go after law breakers with a vengeance instead of passing the buck to a special prosecutor. Equal protection and equal prosecution

• Mia C says:

Hell yeah. Every Conservative countered those racists every day. I’m black and even I could see they were 1) racist 2) political swamp creatures. I saw tons of coverage from Conservative bashing them. It is a FACT that Holder operated as Obama’s consiglieri, mob attorney. Sessions is terrible and not holding Dems to the standard of the law while he recused himself from the bogus Russia thing so RINO’s and Dems could try to undo an election.

• Marygrace Powers says:

FL GUY Agree 100%.
      Until the fat lady sings/ I’m behind what
      I believe is a Trump/ Sessions strategy.

• The fat lady had better be backstage warming up right now- time is running out. If there is no resolution by November of next year, all bets are off.

• Regina says:

That may be part of the strategy? Do it now, and they have a year to recover (Donna can implement her ‘take over the DNC’ plan, and voila they’re born anew!) – do it closer to the election, it might actually have some impact.

• do you believe that sessions recusing himself 5 minutes in WITHOUT TELLING his boss the President, was a strategy? Because THAT is what is singularly responsible for this last 9 months of a foul witch hunt, the inability to pass ACA etc etc etc and the CRITICAL damage to MAGA – not to mention the daily insanity that we’re living in now.
        That SINGLR action of INSUBORDINATION by jeff sessions.
        You believe that’s Trump’s strategy? Why wait until the fat lady sings…

• The Jimmy Jack says:

People here have gone after Holder and Lynch rabidly for years. I’m not sure how you could miss that. Furthermore, it is infinitely more infuriating when you’re getting screwed by your own team.

• ADDgolfer says:

Yes I did. I was never a name caller, not even with Obama. Calling them socialists was strong enough for me. Trouble with what seems to be going on today and what things were like back then is…
      We knew the whole system was corrupt. After many “investigations” nothing was really going to get done. No shining the light on these people. Got to a point I got tired of hearing my own self saying the same ole tuff, just a different socialist.
      This time around we really felt like the cancer could be contained and eradicated.
      Light would return and the birds would sing again (yeah I had to)

When it has any resemblance to what we’ve seen before, as in there are indeed those above the law. Well… we want action, heads on spikes. Figuratively of course.

• 4sure says:

Bashing them day after day for years? If so, I’d like to hear about it.

You damn right we did.

AT THE friggin . BALLOT BOX!!!!

And that’s where I will do my bashing in 2020 if this shit doesn’t change.

4. Tim Banis says:

At the risk of sounding naive, is Sessions purposely playing dumb because something is around the corner like waiting for the Dems to squarely get both feet in the trap before he pulls the trigger ?? Is it a matter of timing? I truly hope so because I don’t like the other thoughts I’m having.

5. President Trump returns from his triumphant Asian trip and is greeted with his hapless AG being skewered and turned into a pulled pork sandwich.

6. Madmax110 says:

Jeff Concessions has to compromised or he was a plant. Jeff is the insurance policy for the Swamp. The left wants to tie up the president and box him in. I’m hoping president Trump has a few MOABS on deck and uses one pretty soon.

7. richhahnblog says:

Can anyone explain what this wall is between the president and DOJ that the media and Congress keep referring to?

8. GetReal says:

Had I known this would be outcome before the election I probably would not have voted for Trump (would not have voted at all). Equal justice under the law is a paramount issue for me because it is the foundation of our republic. We were promised it over, and over, and over and it was a LIE! Jefferson B. Sessions you SUCK !

• You are one of the people I’m talking about.
      You maybe wouldn’t have voted. That says it all.

Without any actions being taken by and life going on the same as it always has, why would anyone vote again.
      Action needs to happen right now. There needs to be some positive results and see the corrupt paying for what they have done is the answer.

• Lulu says:

I’m very worried about 2018, but it’s the Congress purposely doing nothing – the GOP is actively trying to lose seats. Then they will run to the media and blame the President.

• mdt123 says:

Wrong response IMHO. If the other side had won, this would not even be a discussion to indict anyone. They would all be cabinet members. Sessions is playing a long game – with goals not advertised.

• Risasi says:

Stop trying to foment FUD. President Trump has this. Just because you have a perceived NEED to expedite charges against the wicked in DC, doesn’t necessarily constitute as emergency on the part of President Trump, his appointed cabinet members.

There is a lot on his plate and he’s already done FAR more than any President that has preceded him.

We’re watching history in the making!

• My real need is to change the bashing and get this moving in another direct. ASAP!

Trump just had a great trip and his on his way back, not a word about what he’s accomplished or how good it is for America.

I did see the fish food story. And heard how he “bowed” to China.
        And yes, I know better than that. But whoever doesn’t like him or is on the fence knows nothing about it.

The other part in this is simple. Do you know what the left thinks about the Hillary email server? NOT GUILTY!! Move on.

Again, my firm belief is that PT is one of the greatest Presidents of all time.
        But if tax reform and health care cannot get done, it will not matter.
        And honestly, if something isn’t done to make those guilty pay for the things that have been done, wait till next election. It will be corruption on steroids.

• mimbler says:

Well, Sessions doing little is far better than Holder/Lynch actively subverting our laws, so I would still vote.

9. backwoodsgirl123 says:

Well, I reckon my letter to sessions awhile back was well deserved.

If he can’t or won’t do the job, he should resign, ASAP!

What’s he hoping for? For Trump to slip up and pressure him to prosecute?

10. Carrie says:

I thought it interesting that McConnell is floating the idea of Sessions being the write-in candidate for the AL election next month. Could this be an “out” for 45 to get rid of Sessions and appoint a different AG? Might be something, might be nothing. Thought it important to point out.

11. MTeresa says:

What an utter disappointment Sessions is.

• singingsoul says:

Dershowitz said” there is no law against what hillary did.”
      “There is no law to collude what Trump is accused off and both sides need to stop.”
      He said it on Fox and I paraphrased it.
      Maybe Session does not have the law that he can go after Hillary on the U1 issue..?
      Or he is full of it and Hillary broke the law. I do not know I am no lawyer.

• Nessie 509 says:

Good comment. I wish some witness would just say that even if shouted down by every congressman/ woman in the room.
        Say it in the Opening Statement.
        Gentle persons: I will answer every question you pose to me, but first I would like to have the relevant Federal Law you believe I might have violated. I love the law as all of you do, but I must know what law(s) are applicable to my testimony today. If you fail to state the law I have violated, I will not respond to any of your questions. To date, not any person within the USA has cited any law(s) broken by the Trump Campaign.

12. rickaloan says:

Jeff Sessions needs to be bitch slapped and thrown out the door. What a crock!

13. TC says:

Every day that goes by where Sessions hasn’t been fired is further evidence that Sessions is doing exactly what his boss wants him to do.

• dayallaxeded says:

Problem is, it’s not entirely clear who he thinks his boss is or what “he” wants JBS to do. Still holding out hope that PDJT and JBS are on the same page and there are significant anti-Klintoon Krime Kartel and swam investigations/prosecutions going forward in secret, until they are ready for presentation to a court. However, at this point, maintaining that hope requires some suspension of disbelief.

14. bulwarker says:

“Did you spend this much time, effort and passion bashing Holder or Lynch? Bashing them day after day for years?”

“Also, the legal process moves very slooooooow. I knew a guy once who was a lawyer. He had to go out of town on a case that had started 7 years previously when he was at another firm”
    You realize in order to get to the “case” phase there was to be indictments. Amazing that Mueller has been at if for a few months, with a fraction of the DOJ staff, and less proof of supposed wrongdoing but still managed to get the gears turning. We don’t even have that. Not with Hillary, not with Huma, not with Powers, not with Wasserman-Shultz, not even with a low level foundation employee. No one. The legal process hasn’t even begun. But hey, maybe next year….

15. paulraven1 says:

The problem for Sessions, and it will destroy him one way or another, is that it is simply not believable to a critical mass of conservatives and Trump supporters that there were grounds to appoint Mueller to investigate Russia and not grounds to investigate Hillary Clinton’s howlingly obvious criminal tracks. It’s just absurd to pretend otherwise. Sessions became absurd today.

• wyntre says:

Agree. He was pathetically pitiful, preaching pompously at Jordan, disseminating the SWAMP position.

It was really sickening. I couldn’t listen to the whole thing.

He needs to go.

And I have never said that before today.

I might have said “maybe” he should go but now I am convinced. Either he was always a snake or the Swamp stole his spine and turned him into one.

• Founding Fathers Fan says:

What ‘critical mass of conservatives’ are you referring to? There are not enough of them to vote out incumbent RINOs in their primaries election, after election, after election, ad infinitum.

• The Jimmy Jack says:

Good comment.

• Lulu says:

Yep. And you can believe all you want that Sessions is a good ethical man, but this is such a blatant crock of you know what that everyone who isn’t a partisan Democrat sees it. There’s no coming back from this because you have zero credibility.

16. H&HC, 2nd-16th says:

Let the AG take one for the team…….sometimes it is necessary for the good will, morale and discipline of the organization.

17. IMO says:

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: “I will be making a major statement from the @WhiteHouse upon my return to D.C. Time and date to be set.”

Time to drop the m/o/a/b on the d/c/swamp..

18. There were moments where I thought he was obfuscating for the benefit of the Uniparty then there were other times where I felt like he was hiding something from the Uniparty. So in other words, I’m just as unsure about this whole damn thing as I was this morning. From that standpoint, I suppose the hearing accomplished it’s goal.

19. Risasi says:

Well, I trust Trump. Who can do a cabinet shuffle anytime he feels like it and nobody can stop him…so why doesn’t he if Sessions is part of the swamp?

Let’s just see what he tweets in the next day or so.

20. Payday says:

Here’s what I don’t understand. PDJT has the authority to appoint a new SC himself. He doesn’t need Sessions to do so.

• Risasi says:

You answered your own question – he doesn’t want to appoint a new SC.

• bandfreak22 says:

I do not think he wants to dirty his hands. He’s appointed others to perform this task and they are unwilling to do it. Or they are compromised and won’t do it. It’s one of the two, I believe.

• Lulu says:

He’s been told by the Senate that they will not approve another AG. Add to that, the media and uniparty shrieking about obstruction of justice his hands are tied. He has said he would not choose Sessions knowing what he knows now. Frankly, he’s stuck with Sessions until after 2020 if Sessions’ appointees don’t get the President impeached. His only hope is Sessions having a severe medical crisis or finding some honor.

• mimbler says:

That would be political suicide. The MSM would be on it 24/7 for PDJT’s reprisal against his political opponent.

• The President has to be very careful here.

There is a fine line between prosecuting a political opponent for a crime, and being seen as just vindictive political payback.

If this goes at all it will proceed very carefully……

21. this is so disappointing.😖

22. Lulu says:

The worst is Sessions smirks about the President and anything resembling equality under the law, showing nothing but contempt for Donald Trump and the millions who voted for him.

23. patrickhenrycensored says:

If there’s something strange in your neighborhood
    Who you gonna call?
    GOPebuster?………………………….

…………………………………Nobody home

24. Deborah @UnTamedInSD says:

I stand with Jeff Sessions, He did get the opportunity to revisit this SC issue after the 2nd break today when questioned by Mr. Biggs. I notice no one has mentioned that but me.. hmmm

I choose to see things from a different perspective than the typical swamp “Flak and Countermeasures” because this is the PDJT administration not the Obama/clinton/bush administration. I have NEVER known Jeff Sessions in all his years as being “Swampy” and may i remind you that neither did any of you until the swirl of propaganda was spread far and wide by Fake news.

over and out….. I’ve got better things to do today

• Annie says:

Agreed

• M. Mueller says:

Me too, Deborah. I haven’t given up on Sessions. I do agree with Sundance that Congress is a total loss as far as hearings go, but I don’t lump Sessions in with them. We just don’t know what is going on behind the scenes with him or the DOJ.

Sessions took TPP from the swamp. He’s not going to hand the President to them.

• Fe says:

I’m with you Deborah, and stand with our AG. And I also need to do,other things than to read the voluminous negative comments.

• Deborah @UnTamedInSD says:

😘

• M. Mueller says:

Fe, both you and Deborah, and a whole lot of others have to stick around to add your positive outlook in order to combat all the negatives. 🙂

Our President isn’t stupid. If history tells us anything, we only have to worry about someone if he tells us what a “great guy” Sessions is. That is President Trump’s kiss of death.

• bkrg2 says:

After reading hundreds of anti-Sessions posts, I finally found some Treepers who haven’t lost their minds… thank you Deborah, Fe, Annie…
      I trust Trump. He has full control of the situation. All other scenarios just don’t make sense.
      Be patient, MOAB will be dropped by March 2018 or sooner.

• Curry Worsham says:

The mob is growing.

• Dave Goodspeed says:

C-Span Judicial Council meeting with Sessions 11/14/2017 time marker 4:28-4:34.57 is where your can find Senator Biggs of Arizona’s discussion with Sessions. As frustrated as most of us are Deborah is right. I scanning to find what she was talking about; Sessions appears to be intent on restoring the reputation of the Justice Department by staying the course.

I also suggest watching how Sessions conducted himself when he answered Trey Goudy’s question. It was after Trey’s allowed time where Sessions didn’t have to respond but did.
      In contrast to the rabid left making false accusations at the drop of a hat makes Sessions look bad. But keep in mind before the Clintons even Session to breath the possibility of a Special Council the investigate Hillary would have looked radical.
      Sessions is probably concerned with this deterioration in trust and is vowing to repair the damage and despair in public trust.

Also remember what happened to Ken Star who charged in there during the Clinton / Monica affair. How well did that work out?

In this game those that start the investigation will lose against the Pretorian Guard of the Lame Stream media better know exactly what they are doing or end up being marginalized by the MSM as successfully as Star was.

Muller needs to be digested slowly until there’s noting left of him and his merry band of thieves and con men but a footnote in history to join Senator Joe and SC Ken Star.

25. Annie says:

Just my humble opinion, but I believe Sessions is doing exactly what the president wants him to do.

I sure hope I’m right.

26. jfworthington2017 says:

Let’s have a little faith. Our president has just had yet another incredible foreign policy success. I am so proud of what he has done on the world stage. He’s done great things for our economy, our military and veterans. At the same time, the relentless war of negative stories and outright lies by the media, the swamp, and the elites makes me so discouraged — but if PDT can reshape our trade and raise America in the eyes of the world, maybe he can help turn the tide against him here at home.

27. NC PATRIOT says:

A “special counsel” may not be needed. If fusion and Uranium 1 are ALREADY being investigated by the Wray FBI, or by some division of the DOJ, or by Mueller,——–Sessions would not be at liberty to discuss any ongoing investigations.

So we are left to jump to conclusions about what he said and have NO information about what he could NOT say. So we are assuming nothing is being done. Do we really think P45 will let this pass? I think we underestimate him and Sessions if we feel that way.

28. kittytrump84 says:

I’m FN clueless.

I have no idea what to think.

Criminals run our country with no consequences. Judges overrule the POTUS. The Mall of America is filled with muslims. ISIS training camps are all over the USA. I just don’t know wtf is happening anymore.

• MIKE says:

Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger, miss kitty. I watched the Jim Jordan clip, thinking, “why would a guy like Jordan, be hammering on Sessions, when Jordan himself would take a special counsel or investigation and promptly auger it into the ground, a la Troy Gaudy? To get Sessions to show his cards prematurely, I would assume. All I know is,if you want to nail some colleagues you work side by side with, you’d better have some serious evidence, and you never flash your cards or drop your poker face, If you want to live a full life.

• Wend says:

You just summed it up.

• boogywstew says:

“…dogs and cats living together!”

• MIKE says:

Why, here he is, now!

• Maquis says:

“Yes, it’s true. This AG has no…”

Couldn’t resist.

I’m with Deborah though. PDJT has this. President Trump is executing Political Theatre writ large. He doesn’t need us to discourage ourselves and each other.

Sessions Playing Possum would be needful in such a game, and only a strong faithful servant could take all these hits on behalf of his Boss and our Nation.

Look at President Trump’s little Arabella charming the Red Dragon. Do you honestly believe that was simple serendipity? I don’t.

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth is exhausting.

• MIKE says:

The Sessions camp took a lot of shelling today, but from the likes of congress, it was only a little fire for effect and a little H & I.
            I’ll support him right up until the moment our magnificent President says he has to go, god forbid that day ever comes. It hasn’t even been one whole year yet, there aren’t many judges who can be moral triers of fact in a slew of cases that would have long lasting repercussions, and VERY harsh penalties to the nefarious that are currently still in the seats of power. No way they’re taking potential incarceration laying down. This stuff takes TIME. I’m still a believer. And if I’m wrong, much worse things are going to happen to me/my family, than having to eat a little crow. Still thinking…

TRUMP’S GOT THIS.

• bkrg2 says:

Hang in there kitty. All will be well.
      Not sure I can help you with the mall, other than don’t go there…
      And covet your 2nd amendment right – be prepared

29. grandmotherpatriot says:

There is a way to replace Sessions.
    The Federal Vacancies Reform Act of 1998

5 U.S. Code Section 3345(a)(2), which states: “notwithstanding [the default rule that the deputy becomes the acting], the President (and only the President) may direct a person who serves in an office for which appointment is required to be made by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to perform the functions and duties of the vacant office temporarily in an acting capacity subject to the time limitations of section 3346.”

In other words, the president may direct anyone who holds a “PAS” office—one requiring presidential appointment and Senate confirmation—to serve as acting attorney general for 210 days (and potentially longer, depending upon when the president nominates someone to the position). And under the terms of the Federal Vacancies Reform Act, the individual does not even have to be serving in the Justice Department at the time he or she is tapped to be acting attorney general; this person would just have to hold a Senate-confirmed position

30. Dan says:

Can someone explain to me then on what basis Uncle Jeff appointed a special counsel to investigate RussiaTrump? Was that one based on the super standard of “sounds like”?

31. I wish Trump had taken a hardline on the appointment of his AG. He needed a complete, personally loyal fighter in that job. I was hoping he would take a lawyer from his own organization that he had been through the wars with. For a little historical perspective :
    “former Ambassador and patriarch Joseph P. Kennedy heavily lobbied President John Kennedy to appoint Bobby as Attorney General in order to provide JFK with a reliable aide (Schlesinger, 230-232). While Bobby had earned a law degree and had serious investigatory experience from his congressional committee days, Bobby lacked the typical pedigree for the job. In an editorial, The New York Times lambasted the idea, explaining, “It is simply not good enough to name a bright young political manager…to a major post in the government” (Schlesinger, 230). Nonetheless, President Kennedy appointed RFK Attorney General in 1960. Recalling his father’s advice, JFK, “needed someone in the cabinet whom he knew intimately and trusted utterly” (Schlesinger, 231). JFK’s decision would pay enormous dividends in the years ahead. “

32. blakeney says:

Sessons should be held in contempt of Congress and they should arrest him.

33. Eileen Wright says:

34. There sure is a ton of doom and gloom going on around here. Snap out of it folks. Everything will be just fine – although you might want to buckle up for the next few attractions we are about to see while on board the Trump Train!
    In Trump I Trust

35. trumptea says:

At this point it seems absolutely futile to think that AG Sessions will turn out to be anything other than a swamp creature.

We may as well turn our attention elsewhere because we are only going to become angry and disappointed by keep expecting Sessions to do anything.

You hate to think it but the swamp has won this particular battle (not the war, just this battle).
    We should have know something was up when Sessions made it through the Senate approval process. The swamp would NEVER EVER EVER approve someone who was seriously going to expose them.

So, now we keep exposing things with the hope that there will be enough public outcry to force the swamp to clean its own house while also working to elect new people with the hopes that they do not become corrupted within the first six months and will help clean house.

We must work to primary as many Senators as possible …

36. blakeney says:

Roy Moore has brought disrepute on Alabama, but nowhere near as much as has Jeff Sessions. He has essentially “recused” himself from his whole job and when testifying before Congress, he basically just keeps taking The Fifth.

Can someone pull at his face and see if a mask comes off and Eric Holder is underneath?

37. itswoot says:

The only person who truly knows what a book is all about is the person who wrote it. And the only person who truly knows what is going on in Jeff Session’s head is Jeff Sessions.

In the back and forth exchanges I’ve read on this topic I’m sometimes reminded of the overly thought out logic of the Sicilian in this clip:
    (the relevant part lasts until about 3:40)

• John Doe says:

If you enjoyed this movie, you should really read the book by William Goldman. One of my all time favorites. The movie was good. The book was great!!! And, you’re right. I feel like Vizzini trying to figure this out! 😉

38. rumpole2 says:

One of the things that ensures “Not Corrupt” behavior by administrations (on both sides) should be the fact that IF people act outside the law, the evidence will be there when the next administration takes over.
    It seems to me that that simple “balance” has been lost.
    The Obama crew ran rampant… especially Hillary… It seems that they have assumed that they are “beyond the law”, and to some extent that is true as things stand., with Obama loyalists (deep state) still infesting Intelligence and law enforcement agencies.

39. I will continue to pray for justice.

40. mazziflol says:

Sessions defenders still be like “42D chess people! Be patient and #MAGA!”

41. Mia C says:

Depressing.

42. John Doe says:

I came away from the Sessions hearing today NOT thinking he was corrupt, working for Deep State, a NeverTrumper or a double agent. I came away from today thinking he was as dumb as a box of rocks. Was I supposed to? Hmmm….

• Bob Thoms says:

No. You mis judge; Sessions is playing 10x intergallactic under water chess; the rest of us are dumb as rocks because we don’t see his brilliant moves, and we aren’t giving him 24 light years to build a case so he can get an indictment.

smh……….

43. Bob Thoms says:

Did you see Maria’s noticeable jaw drop??????????

SMH.

44. POP says:

The Session’s groupies here still going strong, are they?

45. appadoo9 says:

Last thing I’d tell those Jackals is anything I had up my sleeve

46. bessie2003 says:

Now I’m confused, again. This article linked from Doug Ross’s site, by Circa, says that there are DOJ investigations into Uranium One, and insinuates other investigations related to Clinton are on-going.

Does this mean that there are investigations but AG Jeff Sessions is of the opinion that there is nothing going to come from the investigations?

If so, we wait to see what President Trump does?

Here’s the article: https://www.circa.com/story/2017/11/13/nation/congressional-referrals-sparked-doj-investigations-like-uranium-one-and-clinton-foundation

• tdaly14 says:

Sara Carter just told Hannity many investigations are going on and people within the FBI and DOJ will lose their jobs. Wray is cleaning house.

• mimbler says:

Uranium 1 was investigated by Obama’s DOJ, and that investigation as well as others may still be ongoing.

As we saw in Hillary’s e-mail investigation, they can be used to protect from foia’s and to give immunity to the guilty.

So the real question is not: Are these investigations going on? but rather: What is the end purpose of these investigations.

There’s no way to tell till they conclude with indictments, or the lack thereof,

47. tdaly14 says:

Congressman Trent’s think that’s his name questioned Sessions regarding Uranium One and Sessions said he hired special prosecutors to look into that and other things.

48. Rafael says:

First look at Sessions opening statement: DoJ and FBI have always been very secretive. That’s the main message he wanted to put out there.

He said there is zero reason to *appoint a special prosecutor*. Why? Because he is confident Wray will do a good job.

Trump promised to reestablish people’s confidence on law enforcement. It is coming.

49. jane harris says:

Sessions has been in DC for a long time…go along to get along is what the career politicians do…
    As a native Californian, I did appreciated his stance on illegal immigration…and I really think this issue was key to Trump winning.
    Becoming Attorney General is going to be the pinnacle of his career…and he is not going to give it up easily…politicians…ugh…

50. Sentinel says:

Repeating a sentiment I saw here earlier, I support Sessions until POTUS tells me not to. He knows what’s going on, and he never forgets.