First Lady Melania Trump held her first independent policy roundtable last month at the White House on the topic of opioid and drug addiction. One of the professionals in attendance was Rebecca Crowder, the executive director of Lily’s Place, a drug treatment center for babies and children.

(Via CNN) First lady Melania Trump will embark on a visit Tuesday morning to Huntington, West Virginia, with the specific purpose of visiting Lily’s Place, an infant recovery center that helps families dealing with addiction.

It will be the first lady’s first visit to a drug treatment center since her husband took office. Lily’s Place offers medical care to infants born with Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome, which occurs when newborns have been exposed to addictive substances during a mother’s pregnancy. The center also offers support, education, and counseling services to families and caregivers, per its website.

“To help babies born addicted truly succeed, we must help their parents succeed,” the first lady’s communications director Stephanie Grisham told CNN when asked why Trump opted to spotlight infants. (read more)

“Together, we must acknowledge that all too often it is the weakest, most innocent and vulnerable among us, our children, who ultimately suffer the most from the challenges that plague our societies. Whether it is drug addiction, bullying, poverty, disease, trafficking, illiteracy, or hunger, it is the children who are hit first and hardest in any country. And as we all know, the future of every nation rests with the promise of their young people.”

~ Melania Trump – US Mission to the United Nations

This entry was posted in FLOTUS, Melania Trump, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to First Lady Melania Trump Will Visit West Virginia Pediatric Drug Treatment Center…

1. ZurichMike says:

I just can’t help staring at her. Yowza.

2. pinkbeachlady says:

GOD BLESS our First Lady, Melania!

3. FofBW says:

Truly a gift to so many.

The impact of addiction on families can be overcome with the right treatment from a whole family perspective .

4. USA loves Melania says:

West Virginia is Trump Country! We love our First Lady!!!!

• Dorothy Marcum says:

Yes … I was there 🙂
      I wish I could go to Huntington tomorrow to wave at her as she passes by but alas other doctor visit plans
      She will be received well

• daughnworks247 says:

At the end of this 1:30 video, Trump follows the crowd instead of stopping.
      Incredible instinct. No other politician would have done that.
      Well done Mr. President.
      Gave me a tear in my eye.

When we think about “The Forgotten Man”, West Virginia perfectly illustrates the consequences of bad government. The Obama Admin killed coal and threw hundreds of thousands of people out of work. The people became distraught, young ones left the state, others turned to opiods.
      West Virginia was on it’s last breath when President Trump showed up and he will never forget the people who gave him the largest victory of any state.
      The love and affection is real.

5. Pam says:

It is so endearing to see FLOTUS’ commitment to children’s causes. You can see her motherly instinct so evident especially when she is around children who are so critically ill. God bless her.

• carrierh says:

Pam, have you noticed that Pres. Trump also loves children, his own as well and his grandchildren. They are a pair of real loving Americans and we are blessed to have them. Because of Melania’s Catholic faith, Pres. Trump has come a long way to talk about God and put him in his speeches. They have helped each other and love it when I see them walking and holding hands.

6. Minnie says:

God bless you, First Lady, and thank you for your tireless work on behalf of innocent and beautiful children 🇺🇸🙏🌹

7. H.R. says:

Second paragraph and CNN slips this in. “It will be the first lady’s first visit to a drug treatment center since her husband took office.”

What… like she used to visit regularly for treatment? Slipped that subliminal imagery right into an otherwise straightforward article.

Jurinalists. SPIT!

8. Pam says:

9. Founding Fathers Fan says:

“Opioids” is a politically correct term that includes heroin and illegally manufactured fentanyl. There is no epidemic. An epidemic is the rapid spread of an INFECTIOUS disease.

• FofBW says:

thanks!

Grasping at what we should call a ‘rapid spread of Addiction?

• mostlyogauge says:

Definition of epidemic from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary on-line:
      1 :affecting or tending to affect a disproportionately large number of individuals within a population, community, or region at the same time typhoid was epidemic
      2 a :excessively prevalent; b :contagious 4 epidemic laughter
      3 :characterized by very widespread growth or extent :of, relating to, or constituting an epidemic the practice had reached epidemic proportions
      So, yes, there is an epidemic of opioid use of huge proportions, not just in WV but in other states as well. Remember when then-Candidate Trump was in New Hampshire? Many states have an opioid epidemic problem. This has been caused not only by Odumbo care, but also by a lack of jobs, and the criminally-terrible job of educating our young people on the part of the education “system”. This is a multi-faceted problem and we are in need of multi-faceted solutions. Just the fact that Melania is going to visit this treatment center is one step in the right direction.

10. hawkeye13 says:

I’m glad this is getting some attention, our daughter and son in law are fostering a baby whose mom was an addict. She did cocaine and drank alcohol while pregnant. She did not want baby nor did any of her relatives. It breaks my heart every time I see him, glad our daughter decided to foster and work on getting him resources he needs to overcome his lousy start in life.

11. Simple Jack says:

Good for her, we need far more focus on the rampant overuse of drugs, both prescription and illegal, in this country. Combine those two with alcohol abuse, it’s reasonable to estimate that over half of this country is on some form of mood altering drug for therapeutic purposes.

When half the people need drugs just to make it through the day, we’ve got a profound cultural crisis on our hands.

• Jim in TN says:

We also have a lazy medical profession that handles pain by doping people with substances that can cause addiction. (No offense to doctors etc in general.)

Had a dentist once who stuck the little files used in root canals on a drill, then prescribed one of these drugs to cover up the pain from the unnecessary damage he did. Much more painful than the other root canals I have had.

I suppose though that we are part of the problem too. Demanding solutions to pain at all cost. Drugs used for battlefield casualties are now dispensed for back issues etc.

• 94corvette says:

We have been sold the lie that life should be without pain and that doctors should give us immediate relief. As I grow old, I am finding new aches and pains every day, but life is good. Even the Apostle Paul prayed to God to remove his thorn in the flesh but God did not grant his wish as God had better plans. I feel for those in chronic pain but oftentimes the physical pain is the manifestation of a deeper spiritual illness.

12. BakoCarl says:

If this was a Libturd administration, can you imagine how over-the-top, ga-ga, slobbering and fawning the presstitutes would be? It would be truly sickening.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Yep. I suspect that the ONLY time Mooch would visit such a clinic would be as a patient.

The liberals HATE children, hence their support of abortion. As children are our future, they appear to hate the future (and themselves) as well…

• thluckyone says:

Cuppa, you give me an opening to share something that terrifies me. I think liberals hate children because successful child raising requires “relationships” – truly deep, emotionally intimate and Spirit-led relationships. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to verbalize this.

There are a NUMBER of idolatries surrounding us that destroy relationships. After all these years I’m only just now catching on. I wish I knew a sociologist who could write a book about “The War on Human Relationships”. I think it would help a lot of people understand a lot about our societal breakdown.

BLESS YOU, Cuppa Covfefe! You helped me put it into words.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

Thank you, and Bless you, thluckyone for putting it into words.

Jesus is quite clear as to how valuable children are, for example in Matthew 18:1-7:

18 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?

2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,

3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.

6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

7 Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

I think that a lot of the reason that Europe is in such a mess, and getting worse, is that almost all of the leaders are childless. There’s a slide on it somewhere (I can’t find it right now), but just off the top of my head, Merkel, Macron, May, the PM of Holland don’t have children. They are encouraging Europeans to not have children, while we in Europe are being overrun by ref-fake-gees who are having children at an enormous pace, especially since they can have FOUR wives each. Seems we’re doomed to repeat history (this has happened to Europe twice already) since we haven’t learned from it.

Some articles about the EU’s leaders and their dislike of parenthood:

I think another connection, especially in terms of relationships, is that most parents make sacrifices; indeed most parents would die to save their children (I know I would). Contrast that to the opposite pole, the elite of today don’t bat an eye before aborting a child…

And Jesus wept… (OK, another context, but I think He would, and does).

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

I found the slide with the childless leaders on “The_Donald”, at

Add to this:
          Switzerland Simonetta Sommaruga
          Latvia Raimonds Vējonis
          Lithuania Dalia Grybauskaitė
          Romania Klaus Werner Iohannis
          and you have a majority of Europe’s leaders being childless. Is it any wonder then that they look no further than themselves, that they have no concern for future generations?

Here’s one of many interesting articles on the subject (this one on RT, no less):
          “Macron, May & Merkel: Will Europe’s childless leaders halt demographic decline?”

So much for “family values” in the land of Europa (look up that symbolism, for a real shock).

• thluckyone says:

Cuppa Covfefe, I realize this thread is aging quickly but I hope you get this note. The Kingdom of Heaven – manifested in the hearts of people – is all ABOUT relationships. Honest relationships with God; honest relationships with people; honest relationships with clients; honest relationships with employees/bosses/customers. AND, those relationships also involve investing in each other and investing in vulnerable persons. (thinking out loud here). A sort of “honoring your Father & Mother” (who invested in us while we were yet vulnerable).

Most Children have NO IDEA how to be dishonest in relationships. They will tell you what they think in a MINUTE. AND, if they cross paths with some vulnerable critter, they’ll do their best to care for it. And also, have you ever noticed children imitating the behavior(s) of significant adults they admire?

Maybe it’s not so much a matter of literal childlessness. I think it’s a matter of being unwilling to invest in the well-being of others and their future. I think it’s also a matter of being so short-sighted to the point of being unwilling to care for the vulnerable. Investing only in those who can “invest” or give back to us: Jesus warned us about that sort of behavior.

Those who “cannot be dishonest” about relationships; those who invest in those who are vulnerable; those who imitate the behavior(s) of the Heavenly Father; those who trust and love; of such is the Kingdom of Heaven.

Those who have no interest in caring for the vulnerable nor in investing in the future, nor in having the Kingdom of God enter their hearts; they have no use for Children nor for the God who Loves them.

Bless you, Cuppa. I guess this was just waiting for the right cue. Thanks for helping me get here.

• Just imagine if this were Moochelle, the NY Times would have a front page cover story complete with the color if her underwear and slobbering commentary about her gift of compassion. Unfortunately, the only remedy Mooch would offer would be to starve the children lest they put on any weight.

13. jahealy says:

I struggle with the idea of returning these babies to their parents. In an ideal world, the parents would get clean and stay clean, but how many people successfully kick their addictions for good? There need to be follow-up programs, and for some of these people, mandatory birth control until they’re able to prove themselves. I’m not without sympathy for the adults, but my first concern is babies being returned to parents who may or may not continue to do right by them.

• FofBW says:

I do understand your concern. But to see the joy in those parents who finally are able to get their children is very heart warming!

• Bendix says:

We are going to have to spend a hell of a lot of money for people to check up on these babies.
      Another reason to quit importing so many people, and to kick illegals out. We can’t have these little ones suffering, and as it stands today, we just don’t have enough “services” to go around.

14. Sandy says:

Beautiful, caring, elegant First Lady!

15. 94corvette says:

Can you imagine what would happen if the state medical associations would take truly timely action against those doctors who abuse the system and become script factories? We had a doctor here in Houston that was a horrible surgeon but was kept in business by plaintiff attorneys who would refer their clients to him to maximize their fees. Though he maimed many, the state was unable (and unwilling) to remove his license because of the legal protections afforded him. How many times do we see Medicare/Medicaid doctors brought up on fraud charges for gaming the system for millions, yet for everyone they charge, hundreds skate. Many of those addicted to painkillers are there because of the malpractice of healthcare givers and the failure to track prescription drug use. The downside is that patients who truly need help have to jump through administrative hoops that they don’t deserve. It’s a mess and there are no easy answers.

16. tigsmom says:

Our First Lady exemplifies the true meaning of “Lean In”. Cheryl Sandburg should take note.

17. maiingankwe says:

A long time ago I worked as the nature director for a special needs summer camp, most were adults that we received. It was heart wrenching to learn of the adults who had been institutionalized since birth. I couldn’t believe there were so many and all with different degrees of special needs.

The ones that hit me the hardest were the ones whose birth mothers did drugs while they were pregnant. I couldn’t help but think what they would’ve been like without all of those drugs coursing through their bodies.

I had one of the easiest jobs. I did nature walks, took care of the petting farm, and did my best to see as many smiles in each and every day. I gave so much kudos to the young counslors who worked so tirelessly all day and through the nights at times. It’s as if they were touched by Angels in the work they did. It’s the only way I can explain it. I saw them at their highest and lowest points throughout the summer. Their low points never lasted long and many times it was due to fatigue.

I remember I got in a lot of trouble for my cloud watching hour. We were supposed to be active, doing something, not pointing at clouds and make believing what we were seeing. It didn’t matter that I had nature music in the background. It was wrong, all wrong. I never was good at listening though. I kept that hour every week all summer long. The counslors absolutely loved a free hour of good rest. We had bean bags and blankets all laid out for our campers and they loved it too.

As an adult, I still don’t see anything wrong with the cloud watching hour we had, and I’m so happy I ignored my so called boss. He was a real pain in the rumpus, and never did have the flair of looking outside the box.

Anyways, it warms my heart to see our loving First Lady touch and listen to our children. They need to feel the love of one touched by an Angel in high standing. I’m sure many of them are touched by the best our society has to offer, but to see our FLOTUS do it really brightens up my day as I’m sure it did to theirs as well. God Bless our First Lady and all those who work so tirelessly and with so much love for these children. They deserve it.

• FofBW says:

Cloud watching = serenity

• JC says:

Lovely, Maiingankwe – so glad you shared. Cloud-watching and stargazing are some of my favorite memories with my children. I’m guessing your lucky campers experienced healing during those soft, peaceful sessions as their tender nerve synapses and battered cells had a moment to rest and recoup.

• The Boss says:

Your experience seems to have touched you in a great way. I volunteered to work with the mentally retarded for years. I landed a couple of summer jobs while in college as a result. Never thought about cloud watching, mainly because we had some escape artists. Heck, I think I’ll go watch some clouds. Sounds relaxing. Thanks as always.

• maiingankwe says:

The Boss,
        You know, we had some escape artists too, but I don’t ever remember any of them doing it during our cloud watching. It would’ve been the most opportune time as well. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, I just don’t remember.

I do remember making it a point to ask the counslors which ones needed more watching and it would be those I would sit by or keep in close proximity to one another. I continued this cloud watching activity because it was the counslors favorite of all. I would try to do it on Thursday when they knew their campers pretty well, and when I knew the counslors would need it the most. I saw the campers and the counslors both benefit from it, and it’s why I continued to ignore my boss and his constant tear downs of my character.

Yeah, I got a lot of those, but I think it was because he knew I was smarter than he was. Plus, he didn’t get his usual summer girlfriend that year, so I’m sure that didn’t help. Last, but not least, he almost killed my two calves by thinking he was so smart and decided to give them a cold water shower from my hose in the barn. They both came down with pneumonia. I ended up having to give them daily shots and in doing so gained the respect from our old, crotchety maintenance guy who had been there forever. He would tell me often I needed to become a vet. Once I had the respect of this wonderful old codger, my boss couldn’t do anything without taking the chance of him losing his comfy job and the three of us knew it.

I didn’t mean to go on and on, but your words brought back so many memories. It was a great job with poor pay and a poor boss, but so many wonderful memories.
        Be well, stay smiling, and enjoy those clouds,
        Ma’iingankwe

• BakoCarl says:

“don’t see anything wrong” . . . I think, unfortunately, there are far too many people that try to fill days with activities . . . gotta have motion . . . doing, moving, cutting, running . . . and the kids never develop an appreciation of how peaceful downtime can clear your mind and recharge your batteries.

Watching clouds, imagining shapes and shape changes, seeing the puffy whites move across a blue sky, lying on the ground and smelling the soil and grass . . . priceless.

• Blacksmith8 says:

There’s a camp in Southwest Texas like yours, the kids volunteer as counselors and for one week the campers have a life like a lot of us did when we were young.

As a parent of a counselor, I get to hear the story afterward. Those kids are awesome. Most of them are so normal on the inside you almost can’t see the disability on the outside.

• daughnworks247 says:

One of the sweetest memories of my childhood was cloud-watching with my best friend.
      Often, there was a clothesline in the background, where the wind would rustle through freshly laundered sheets.

18. PgtSndThinker says:

20+ years ago when in the maternity ward after delivering my healthy babies, there was a room full of bassinets with “crack babies” born addicted. They screamed and cried and were inconsolable.

19. catmom says:

I have no words to describe how much I love and admire Melania. It takes nerves of steel to stand next to President Trump. She does it with courage, style and grace. I am incredibly proud that she is our First Lady!

20. wondering999 says:

So glad that Mrs. Trump is focusing in on this!
    The following link is not about West Virginia, but about East Tennessee Children’s Hospital (ETCH) where there is a special Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome service. Friend of a friend told me that the problem is decreasing — either the babies are going elsewhere, or the numbers of babies born addicted is dropping (Lord hear my prayer, let it be the second explanation)

““The reason we got so good at this is that 35 to 50 percent of babies in the NICU are NAS…We are the hot spot in the state, but the problem is spreading all along the Appalachian Trail and most hospitals don’t know what to do about it.”

“And while the focus at the NAS Unit is on getting babies well, the work that they do naturally forces them to come to terms with the drug problem in the area. NICU nurses were not trained to treat drug addiction, and they are dealing with mothers who are addicts. So they are getting more training in behavioral health and are learning how to deal with people in the addiction cycle, to teach them how to take care of their babies.

“We can’t just fix the baby and expect everything to be OK,” says Smith. “We have to open our eyes and take care of the mom. Every mother has a magic moment, when they see their baby suffering and realize it is their fault. That’s when they may ask for help.”

21. woohoowee says:

Our First Lady Melania uses her large voice to speak for the most vulnerable among us. Her heart is always in the right place 🙂

22. filia.aurea says:

FLOTUS, in her own way, provides a caring and humanitarian balance to the ongoing harsh reality of the daily destruction of young people’s lives through opiate addiction. We now have eleven thousand more U.S. troops in Afghanistan, guarding the poppy fields and the deep state Cocaine Import Agency. Our young people are being destroyed before our very eyes, as are our patriotic veterans – the only ones that can bring honor, discipline and structure back to the military, infiltrated throughout with Soetoro’s muslim brotherhood.

I’ve been told by a mother that she thanks God for the day she was able to legally buy pot for her son, who was addicted to opiates. She believes it saved his life. Listen up, AG Sessions, don’t fall into the trap of protecting the CIA’s drug business.

23. WhistlingPast says:

Leaving that despicable ‘Jemele’ column for here is like coming into the sunshine!
    God bless our First Family.

24. That there is a need for this care center is heartbreaking. That our Flotus is shinning a light into such darkness is a blessing. That there are those who will find value and worth in every life no matter how great the odds are against them are is a comfort. Love heals, faith heals, may all of them find both.

25. JunieG says:

I think we’ve all fallen in love with her. It is her grace and kindness and courage that are most beautiful. This quiet, private woman has blossomed into a magnificent presence on the world stage to represent our nation and values.
    God bless her for confronting the opiate epidemic.

26. Mike diamond says:

Best looking first lady of all time and the sweetest !

27. daughnworks247 says:

Melania is the best. Never underestimate her. Sure, she is stunning but she is also very grounded, genuine, and suffers no fools.