A massive residential fire in Ladbroke Grove suburb of London England has many people worried about trapped residents.   According to most media reports the 24 floor building, Greenfell Tower, houses 120 units and is almost completely engulfed.

The fire began in the middle of the night.  There are over 40 fire squads and 200 firefighters attempting to control the blaze.

(The Sun) […]  FIREFIGHTERS are battling an inferno which has engulfed a block of flats in Ladbroke Grove, West London.

Some residents are trapped inside the 24-storey tower, with children among residents desperately shouting for help from windows on upper floors with neighbouring flats ablaze.

One witness told BBC radio that there were likely to be “tens if not hundreds” of casualties, with some jumping from windows for safety in scenes “reminiscent of 9/11”.  (link)

This entry was posted in European Union, Fire Crime. Bookmark the permalink.

323 Responses to Massive Residential Fire in London – 24 Floor Apartment Building, 120 Units Ablaze…

1. I was watching video… of this ..
    Did ANYONE Notice a YUGE explosion off the side of the building? about half-way up? (Blew a hole in the side)..

• sunnydaze says:

There was a blip on Sky News (?) that an “appliance” blew up. Thoughts that it could be a refrigerator. Apparently, the new Enviro Friendly fridges have a coolant that is an explosive. (Warning to those tempted to actually BUY one of these things).

Article in Daily Mail about that from a while back. Sorry, didn’t take the link.

Who *knows* what happened. At this point, they’re probably just grabbing at straws.

• keeler says:

It’s possible.

While it was never determined, one of the suspected contributing factors to Boston’s Cocoanut Grove Fire (1942) was accidental ignition of methyl chloride, a highly flammable refrigerant gas in use because of war-time freon shortages. 493 people died as a result.

As with any major accident, if that is indeed what this was, a big fire is usually not caused by one thing. There are a series of active and passive errors which contributed to creating a situation in which a small failure could lead to a large tragedy.

Fridge scenario: Faulty wiring leads to a small failure electrical failure. The electrical failure sparks flammable gas leaking through a small crack. Alone neither the fault or the leak are big deal, but when they intersect- boom. Overcrowded apartments, unenforced fire regulations, language barriers, and London’s ancient narrow roads hamper response and evacuation time. Suddenly, you have a big problem..

• Mike says:

Propane is a very efficient refrigerant but I would expect modern designs to use a small quantity.

Another common kitchen appliance in the 3rd world is the LPG stove. Typically the small propane/LPG bottle blows out an apartment’s side and windows if it leaks too much…

• Charlotte says:

Terrorism?
        The fire is said to have spread from the second floor to the roof of the enormous 120-flat block in just 15 minutes,

• It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It was a run down government property and was rehabbed in 2016. The pictures on line show a very modernized building with stainless appliances, wood floors, limestone finished bathrooms, Bang and Olufsen sound and up to 3 and four bedrooms in a high rent area..Chelsea and Nottinghill. The rental management company info said it was ex-local authority property. Also per the reports the new “cladding” was not safe, the residents say. Thinking suspicious at this time.

• CameronH says:

Typical gas charge in a domestic fridge is about 150 mls or 5 oz. This would not cause a very big explosion and even if all of that gas escaped it would not reach the lower explosive limit in a normal sized room.

• maiingankwe says:

I think I remember the article. Didn’t they go through a number of appliances that now have to be bought for climate change? The hair dryer, coffee maker, electric kettle etc., but the one that got the biggest heat was the new vacuum cleaner they had to use. None of the appliances work anywhere near as well as to what they had been using all along, and the vacuum was worthless since it couldn’t pick anything up because of the low energy or whatever you call it.

Germany has also mandated all of these changes too I believe, and if that’s right, then all of the eu countries would be following as well.

All I really remember is a lot of ticked off people who were wishing they still had their old appliances, especially their vacuum.

I don’t know if there was an exchange or what when one would buy these new, worthless products. How they are keeping track of who has what is beyond me even though I’m sure it was explained in the article. Sheesh, I can’t even remember if it was the Daily Mail or not.

I do remember the article mentioning that some of these appliances were more of a fire hazard. How or why I couldn’t tell you. Sorry. If this is true, it gives it a higher probability it could’ve been an accident. And I sincerely doubt the msm would let the cat out of the bag if it’s the fault of these new rules regulations. Can’t have anyone second guess the eu and how they are trying to save the earth no matter how ridiculous these regulations are.

Sorry I wasn’t much help, I thought I knew a lot more until I started typing and realizing how much I had forgotten. 🙃
        Be well,
        Ma’iingankwe

• BigD! says:

It’s actually a European Union rule that limits the total wattage a vacuum motor can consume in the EU. The standard used to be 2200 Watts then it dropped to 1600 Watts in 2014 and now this year it’s going to be lowered to just 900 Watts. As with almost all of these “green” appliances the new ones don’t work for S unlike the old ones.

• maiingankwe says:

It’s clear enough to me that the people who made these rules/laws have never vacuumed or simply cannot remember a time so long ago.

900 watts? Yeah, like that is going to work.

Thanks for the numbers, that was awesome and helpful.

• kittymyers says:

“Alert over new wave of exploding fridges caused by ‘environmentally-friendly coolant'”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1210334/Alert-new-wave-exploding-fridges-caused-environmentally-friendly-coolant.html#ixzz4jyQy3JxM
        Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Michael says:

Not enough refrigerant in a household refrig to do much of anything. Couple of ounces.
        A tank type water heater with an energy saving check valve however could very easily go off as a steam pressure bomb and do a hll of a lot of damage but would be no flames.

• Regina says:

read on the prior page that RT reporting it was due to a “faulty fridge”
      Right

• Ned says:

Yes, this was no “faulty refrigerator”. NO WAY. A meth lab would cause this but not a “faulty refrigerator”. What was strange is that BEFORE firemen could get IN the building the Daily Mail was announcing it was a “faulty refrigerator” I thought the poster on BB was joking and then I went over and saw the headline. Explosive chemicals could cause this. Plus the building was from the 1970’s so it may not have been up to code and flamable materials used in the construction. It was like viewing the Towering Inferno.
      Awful!

• daizeez says:

RSBN was the only American station I could find covering this live after the regular evening shows. They had live videos up most of the night. Shortly after midnight EST, they were showing someone at a lower story window inside waving out the window for help. Does anyone who watched into the wee hours know if they ever got him out?

2. Regina says:

Why isn’t foxnewz broadcasting Skynews? Absolutely No cable coverage on this – showing the 2nd reruns of the regular schedule – amazing

3. Concerned Virginian says:

Sky News had on the head of the local Council who went on and on about how the Grenfell building was “totally renovated” at a cost of “millions of pounds” just two years ago. Sky News anchor asked about the complaints from the building’s residents as recently as this year about fire safety, etc. Council leader cut her off, said “I have to go now” and shut off his cellphone.

4. Katherine McCoun says:

People who have no need o be there Need to leave! Including reporters and those who live nearby. Many became ill from breathing the air with all of the smoke and debris on 9-11

• Harry Lime says:

Not to mention that they’re clogging up the narrow roadways. One survivor said that so many people were heading towards the fire to watch that they had trouble getting out in order to get to the shelters that were being set up. The emergency vehicles had trouble getting in to the complex.

• maiingankwe says:

Yesterday we had three fire trucks and a couple of other emergency vehicles go down our cul de sac. It takes me 18 minutes to walk around it. My daughter wanted to go see what was going on, and I had to explain we would be in the way, and the worse thing people can do is be nosy and go where less people are needed, not more. She couldn’t believe it could be a fire since it had been raining all day. So there went another long explanation including the subjects of winter fires and boat fires being the worse. She was completely flummoxed, especially the boat one. 🙃

At least we will have one less person running to see what is going on as she grows.

I had planned on buying the paper to find out what happened, but of course I left the grocery without remembering today. So this evening I took the long way round, and I didn’t see anything out of place. However, there are a couple of homes that have long driveways and their homes are hidden by trees, it could’ve been any one of them. I hadn’t smelled any smoke last night nor could I see any from our home. It was hard to see with all of the gray rain clouds though. All I could do was send prayers their way and hope all are alright. The next time I see one of the nosy neighbors I will ask.

I cannot imagine going close to this fire in London. One would think with all of the traffic trying to get out they would move, especially when emergency vehicles are trying to get in. I just don’t get people like that. They can read it in the papers like I would have if I had remembered the dang thing, and I looked right at them when I walked in the store. Unbelievable. Must’ve had my mind on Sessions from an hour earlier in the day. 😊

• Concerned Virginian says:

Idiot reporter from Sky News now interviewing woman and son who live near the Grenfell, out on the street, can’t be more than 2 blocks away. People being evacuated by the police from all surrounding buildings due to possible imminent collapse oft the Grenfell. i should think anybody not immediately associated with emergency services/fire brigades/evacuation, need to be out of the area NOW.

• Charlotte says:

you are right
      Many of those evacuated said they were woken by screams, intense heat and the smell of burning plastic, thought to be white cladding that was installed on the building last year as part of a £10million refurbishment.

5. mrsqt says:

London Mayor calling this a “major incident”…

A “major incident”, eh?

Because I don’t trust him or the media to tell us the truth, I can’t help but think…

Prayers will be said for all affected by this. I just hope I am wrong and this is not terrorism.

6. kathycovfefe says:

Here’s a list of “lead tenants” who received notice of the (apparently very recent) renovations

7. Raffaella says:

Tomorrow MSM will claim it is Trump’s fault for banning Muslims – they could not travel to the US and had to all live in one building causing the fire.

Joking aside, it is heartbreaking. People trapped in such inferno. Just terrible.

8. Victor Laszlo says:

Someone torched a muslim apt. building in retaliation?

9. Bull Durham says:

There is not a government of the West that is worth snot. They are all submerged in Liberalism and corrupt. Not one.

We elected Trump to reclaim the US government. He has about 15% control so far.

If people are going to be sheep and accept their government enslavement , they’ll get events worse than this.

Pathetic to see these catastrophes in 21st Century nations and capital cities.

While the EU and NATO gobble up more former Eastern Europe and Balkan entities, they can’t get their own countries in order.

10. millwright says:

This is horrible ! Far too early to speculate on the “cause” IAC, but if the structure survives it’ll be an ants nest of investigators TBS ! I’m equally certain Scotland Yard among other agencies will be trolling their rat lines non-stop already !

11. Texian says:

I would never live in a high rise.. but some of you Treepers might so here ya go.. safety self-independence.. if you’re in a bad situation, it will be a lot easier to find your guts and ‘make the jump..’ It has been field tested to work from as low as 15 stories. shoulda woulda coulda..

“Evacuchute.”

• sunnydaze says:

Pretty scary.

But standing in a burning room is just as scary. At least this way, you’ve got a chance. Pray on the way down and hope for the best.

• Charlotte says:

Exactly
      I would NEVER live in a block of air.I keep thinking of 9/11 where those poor people jumped. Always book a hotel room on a lower floor.
      And yes a parachute if for some reason you find yourself living in a high rise building.
      Remember Agenda 21 under Obama where they wanted to clear everyone off the land and move them into high rise buildings in cities?
      Well TG that didn’t happen.

• Charlotte says:

I saw this a while back–think its an Israeli invention

• georgiafl says:

There are a bunch of devices and methods on YouTube. Of course, the Israelis have developed a neat one.

• Rodney says:

I want to see a 400 lb food stamp queen get that harness on and climb over that railing. I always wear my wingsuit to bed when I sleep in a highrise.

• K2P2 Ribbing says:

Two thoughts: 1) How convenient to already have a place to anchor this, but what if you don’t? (Honey, where’s the drill? Oh, dang it! The electricity just went out!) and 2) In many instances, you’d be dead before you got this thing ready to go–even with the holes in the building already in place!!!

• Esperanza says:

Be worth having one near your window, just in case.

12. MOA says:

Modern building that burns like dry pine?

Concrete, steel, aluminimum window frames, gyprock are non flammable. Carpets and interior framing and wood doors burn.
    Big burn for little fuel. Windows reveal many floors on fire simultaneously.

I note it hasn’t yet collapsed like a controlled demolition.

13. BBC, told tenants to stay “inside” hide & tell? OMG.. (heard on RSBC)

• keeler says:

You know, I’ve been worried that, as people become conditioned to terrorism, crowds are going to begin stampeding at any loud noise or false alarm. It’s already happened twice since the Manchester Arena bombing. Once in Italy, and once in New York.

It did not occur to me that the opposite is also something to worry about. That in the event of a large fire or other environmental hazard, people would be instructed to “shelter in place” instead of evacuating as they should.

• nimrodman says:

see my comment and link below; the building had a “stay put” policy, not a “run like hell” policy

unbelievable

14. nO FIRE ALARMS, (SO A TENTET SAYS) SAW FIRE OUT THE WINDOW FOR THE 17TH FLOOR, LIKE A MATCH-STICK, (outside the building).. sry caps..
    Whole one side of the building caught on fire, cladding caught fire.. Typing & listening..
    heavy smoke LOTS of folks didn’t get out..

15. Jane in Florida says:

Watch Sky News Live

16. US says:

On 9-11 Obama bin Laden had very good research on how the World Trade Center would burn. Just saying, I have no evidence.

17. DebbieUK says:

I think this is an older tower built in th 70s and they went out of fashion but lately many high rise blocks are going up around London. We have a housing crisis ,iwonder why ? Too many people here.
    I lived on the 22nd floor of a block when I first got married but I wouldn’t like to do it long term. Trump tower they are not .
    hope evry one is Ok.

• Esperanza says:

Recently renovated. Fine for 40 years suddenly a problem. Lots of new regs don’t seem safe to me. Also freon massive fire retardant. Would have stopped this.

18. Harry Lime says:

It’s been reported that a resident is claiming a defective refrigerator caused the fire. I just spent some time on youtube and there are several videos concerning defective refrigerators indeed catching on fire and igniting rapidly. Some have caused fatalities.

19. I’m going to put this in terms folks can.. Well.
    they didn’t get out..
    We just Had a ram-a-ding-dong BBQ, (NO I’m NOT PC)…
    Fire was a renovation, fire started on the very Lower floors, (5th or 2nd?)
    Reported,, (eye witness).. Lots of Trash/Rubbish INSIDE & outside the building?
    Terrorist link?
    Or Third World conditions & people living there Caused it?

20. SharonKinDC says:

Per several Freepers, exploding refrigerators in the UK is a ‘thing’. A new one, due to earth friendly ‘Greenfreeze’. It’s highly volatile if it leaks. There have been around 1/2 dozens fridge explosions in past months over in the UK. NUTS!

21. Wow! One witness said within 15 minutes of the fire starting, the entire building was engulfed. She also said there was a new “wrap” (facade) was put on the outside of the building recently.

22. MOA says:

Oh. It’s old, it’s residential and nothing on earth burns better than dry mattresses.

23. Neural says:

This may be related. Article linked to me from a friend in London area: https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

• Thanks for attaching article. So sad that money is so much more important than humans. This fire is a bad as 9/11 in my opinion.

• Christine says:

Oh wow, that’s both stunning and horrifically accurate in its warnings back in November 2016. Thank you for posting, Neural.

• Neural says:

According to my friend (I’m starting to sound like CNN), there is apparently information that shows the building may have been behind in it’s fire inspections? Not sure.
        If the news media is straight forward on this one, she feels that there is going to be a lot of information coming out that will show astounding amounts of negligence.
        Even if it *was* terrorism, it could be that the building was targeted because it was well known to be in poor condition etc. which could very well have made it a target.

24. moe ham head says:

hopefully when the dust settles there will be a pile of muzzie crisps

25. Liberty says:

It’s a terrible tragedy for sure, but the images and very quick explanation for this automatically heighten my suspicion – which in this case I hate very much.

26. Christine says:

Two important thoughts:

1. In July 2015, 13 floors of a Melbourne building went up in flames in just 15 minutes from a cigarette butt left on a balcony. The culprit? Cheap external cladding brought in from China.

See this ABC interview/transcript titled “This Is The Hidden Killer in Australian Buildings”.

I understand the building recently had a renovation. I’m curious what cladding was used on its exterior.

2. I’ve just watched (my fave Australian Conservative commentator) Andrew Bolt interview a British-Arab Sky News male Reporter. Interestingly, the UK reporter stated it’s Ramadan, and it’s a populous Arab + African area (Kensington is now close to 50% sadly, I believe. I lived in Belgravia). He said that when the fire erupted at 1.00am, all the Muslims were returning from their evening meal to break the fast, “so they would have been awake” (ie more likely to be absent or able to escape, compared with non-Muslims, who would have been sleeping).

My heart breaks for those trapped in the fire, and their beloved family and friends. My dear London is lost.

The great fire of London started in 1666 (note Satan’s number) and burned down 80% of the city 350 years ago. I pray this does not portend the fate awaiting a 2nd time, for such a magnificent city.

• Christine says:

From my link above:

The illegal flammable Chinese cladding used on the new Melbourne building that sent 13 floors up in flames in just 15 minutes was called Abucobest. It was aluminium on the outside, with a plastic fibre interior.

The legal non-flammable cladding product that should be used is called Alucobond. It also has an aluminium exterior, but a mineral fibre core. To the naked eye, the products look the same.

–>> Does anyone have any info on the cladding used on the London building please?

• Esperanza says:

This kind of fraud is a disaster waiting to happen. Schlepping everything half way around the world is not a good idea from any angle.

• Christine says:

Absolutely, Esperanza.
          * I’ve just dug further and discovered the owner of the Melbourne highrise was finally ordered to replace the flammable cladding, 3 years after the fire, but since the owner is appealing, it’s yet to be replaced.
          * A fellow Treeper above posted a Guardian article, confirming last year’s £9.3 million refurb of the London highrise included external cladding, which was described by an eyewitness as contributing to the blaze, with “all the plastic bubbling and blowing”.
          –>> The flammable Chinese cladding used on the Melbourne building was also plastic interior.

• Esperanza says:

Plus with all the regs anything takes years. We had a must replaster the façade notice slapped on us about 5 years ago ( thanks, we knew it needed to be done). It’s just been finished. I don’t even live there anymore. Luckily we are in a “protected” area and didn’t have to do the cladding thing, in fact weren’t allowed to…the whole thing is stupid.

• Christine says:

Okay, more digging on the new cladding used on the London Grenfell Tower.

Scroll down towards the end of this link. There’s a pic of the colour palette + materials used in the refurb.
      #7 is the cladding, described as “BCM GRC Cladding”.

I googled that, and hit on this website – a UK company called BCM GRC Ltd, which makes lightweight cladding. This link describes the cladding.

I suspect this UK company supplied the cladding, but had it manufactured in China to reduce costs. The UK company may or may not know that inferior materials were used.

27. Billy Jack Galt says:

God help them! That went up like it was built from Balsa wood and Kerosene.

28. Enlightened Vulgarian says:

London fire: Grenfell Tower ‘renovated with deadly cladding’:

Also….Grenfell Action Group blog post earlier today….

“Regular readers of this blog will know that we have posted numerous warnings in recent years about the very poor fire safety standards at Grenfell Tower and elsewhere in RBKC.

ALL OUR WARNINGS FELL ON DEAF EARS and we predicted that a catastrophe like this was inevitable and just a matter of time….”

29. A2 says:

Despite the tenants committee’s warnings about fire safety violations, I suspect, but hope it is not confirmed, that the 2016 renovations used dodgy Chinese building materials.

The death toll will mount, May the Lord bless them and keep them.

• georgiafl says:

CHINESE standards are not acceptable – and have been proven deadly.

Chinese dog food killed dogs.

Chinese baby food made babies sick.

Chinese steel is low grade.

Chinese glass ovenware exploded in the oven.

Chinese rare earth mining has killed whole Chinese villages.

Chinese have had forced abortion and put a low value on human life for generations and this is apparent in their export products.

• georgiafl says:

I remember when ‘Made in Japan’ meant cheap stuff.

‘Made in China’ also means cheap stuff – and – deadly stuff.

• Christine says:

Yes, I agree georgiafl. This is the hidden cost of the Western world desiring cheap products that we can’t compete on for price – safety standards are non-existent.
        After the 2008 Chinese milk powder scandal killed 300,000 babies in China, demand for our Australian milk powder has soared. It’s sold in China for 6 times the price here, making it a luxury item.

30. amwick says:

Their PD

31. ilovevictoriasbows says:

London mayor, Sadiq Khan said at a Wednesday morning press conference that “building infernos are part and parcel to living in a big city.” So get used to it. He added that there was “no reason to be alarmed.”

32. bitterlyclinging says:

“Wake up! Your country is on fire and the firemen are unable to help!”

33. Melanie says:

A Flight Attendant Co-Worker signed up the work “The Hodge” flying Pilgrims to Mecca. Her Job?
    Only to police the cabin to make sure the Passengers did not start a fire in their seat with a coal burning stove. (yes they are that ignorant) A previous Airliner had been downed when it caught fire after such an incident.
    Well… Could have been a resident cooking on one of these stoves? It is Ramadan time isn’t it?

34. keeler says:

More Aluminum Composite Panel Cladding Fires:

Dubai, January 1, 2016

Within minutes, the revelry of New Year’s Eve in Dubai turned to horror as those gathered for fireworks downtown watched flames race up the side of one of the glistening city’s most prominent luxury hotels.

But the fire at the 63-story The Address Downtown Dubai wasn’t the first, second or even third blaze to spread swiftly along the exterior of skyscrapers that have risen from the desert at a torrid pace in and around Dubai over the past two decades.

It was at least the eighth such fire in the Emirates alone, and similar blazes have struck major cities across the world, killing dozens of people, according to an Associated Press survey.

The reason, building and safety experts say, is the material used for the buildings’ sidings, called aluminum composite panel cladding. While types of cladding can be made with fire-resistant material, experts say those that have caught fire in Dubai and elsewhere weren’t designed to meet stricter safety standards and often were put onto buildings without any breaks to slow or halt a possible blaze.

Dubai July 20, 2016

“A residential skyscraper in Dubai caught fire on Wednesday in the densely populated Marina district, sending plumes of smoke into the air and pieces of the building’s facade tumbling below.

The afternoon blaze engulfed the upper floors of the Sulafa Tower. The fire quickly spread to other floors and the sides of the building with flames engulfing more than 30 stories and scorching the exterior of the building. It appeared to have spread to the interiors of some of the apartments, as well.

Nora Maki, who lives across the street, says the flames “spread like wildfire” but that firefighters “did an amazing job” of getting it under control. Firefighters could be seen on some of the balconies trying to reach out to extinguish the fire.

“It was really scary,” Maki said. “You could hear almost explosions … and there was debris flying around.”

This a bigger problem than a deadly fire in the UK. Across the world, there are buildings covered in a highly flammable, self-propagating fuel source.

35. mazziflol says:

Pretty much sums it up right here:

Survivors claimed there was no working fire alarm, sprinklers failed and the only staircase out was blocked

• John Denney says:

In the interest of staying fit, I usually take the escape stairs to and from my office on the 5th floor.

I’m rather amazed there would not be at least a few like-minded individuals in a building of that size, at least one of which would take serious issue with the way being blocked.

36. andyocoregon says:

Never live in a high rise building with no sprinkler system.

37. Donna in Oregon says:

Not much info on this in the news. Drip, drip, drip. It’s odd.