Attorney General Sessions Outlines Federal Charging and Sentencing Guidelines…

Earlier today Attorney General Jeff Sessions outlined a new DOJ reference policy [full pdf included below] regarding federal charging and sentencing for Federal Prosecutors. Here’s the full press conference. Remarks begin at 05:00 (prompted)

Attorney General Jeff Sessions today issued the attached memorandum establishing charging and sentencing policies for the Department of Justice. This policy was formulated after extensive consultation with Assistant U.S. Attorneys at both the trial and appellate level, as well as U.S. Attorneys and Main Justice Attorneys. It ensures that the Department enforces the law fairly and consistently, advances public safety and promotes respect for our legal system. (link)

The outlining memo is below:

This entry was posted in AG Jeff Sessions, Dept Of Justice, Jeff Sessions, media bias, Police action, Political correctness/cultural marxism, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

135 Responses to Attorney General Sessions Outlines Federal Charging and Sentencing Guidelines…

1. dobbsfan says:

AG Jeff Sessions = The Fist of God!

• waltherppk says:

No confusion affects Jeff Sessions about what a reasonable prosecutor should do.
      People who suffer from such confusion about what a reasonable prosecutor should do, have no business working in law enforcement. For example……

2. joanfoster says:

Hope this now means that voter intimidation at certain precincts in Philadelphia will be dealt with swiftly and without regard to race, creed or color. Can I get an “amen”?

3. HBD says:

This is not the obama administration, thankfully.

4. vanroth50 says:

Off topic but I just read that Clapper is walking back his statements that there was no collusion between Trump’s campaign and the Russia by stating that he would not have known.

This in spite of the fact that there are multiple videos of him on different ocassions saying there was “no evidence of collusion”, the latest just from last week. Lol, this guy is an even dumber liar than we thought.

5. Beryl Bomb says:

I am deep down hoping that the long term effects of this is, indeed, Justice For All. I would love few things more than for Jeff Sessions to be the man who levels the playing field such that no one can make a case for disproportionate punishments.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if Black Lives Matter had instead called themselves “…Justice For All” they would have at least everyone in my little circle on their side. No intelligent, compassionate person I know can abide by punishments which appear unequal or unfair. But when your platform is violence rather than equality, you lose me.

• Weeper says:

Well said Beryl Bomb!! It IS called the “Pledge of Allegiance” after all. 😉

• Sayit2016 says:

Beryl– “No intelligent, compassionate person I know can abide by punishments which appear unequal or unfair. But when your platform is violence rather than equality, you lose me”…. you have articulated this sentiment beautifully…..well done.

• vikingmom says:

“But when your platform is violence rather than equality, you lose me” Absolutely correct – especially when the violence for which you are advocating is directed at people who had NOTHING to do with the initial incident that you are protesting! When a national movement starts advocating for the destruction of any group of people, simply based on their association, however tenuous, with someone who has POSSIBLY behaved badly, we have crossed the line from a nation of logic, justice, and fairness into a realm of anarchy and anger that will destroy us ALL very quickly!

• Joe Blow says:

That’s because BLM has nothing to do with justice of any kind. They did not mistakenly neglect this; they were designed to be this way.

• fgmorley says:

I appreciate the view that Justice, according to the Constitution and Rule of Law, should and will prevail. The unfortunate reality is that it will never take place. Anyone want to bet on an indictment of Hillary Clinton, or Barack Hussein Obama, or Valerie Jarret, or George Soros ever taking place? Or a conviction? Har Har Dee Har !!

You want Justice? There are at least 200-300 individuals in D.C. that deserve to be lined up and shot. And that’s just a start.

• thluckyone says:

“…And that’s just a start”. Agreed. However, probably it would be better for them, if they did meet justice in a court of law. Undoubtedly, they WILL meet justice and there won’t be a thing that you or I can do to stop it.

6. jnearen says:

Having been the subject of a Federal prosecution and subjected to the rigidity of the sentencing guidelines (some 20-years ago), I welcome any flexibility granted to the prosecutors. However, I do not believe that the flexibility should actually be in the hands of the prosecutor as they are heavily invested in (both emotionally and, more importantly, financially) the outcome. By financially, I mean that the prosecutors get annual bonuses not (generally) based on the size or weight of cases brought, but on the number of cases brought. It’s true in civil prosecutions also. It is the Federal judges who should be given greater sentencing flexibility and the right to review their decisions a year or two in where justified. So, on the whole I think that for the most part this is a “nothing burger.”

• fleporeblog says:

A “nothing burger” when the following language is included in the memorandum:

There will be circumstances in which good judgment would lead a prosecutor to conclude that a strict application of the above charging policy is not warranted.
      In that case prosecutors should carefully consider whether an exception may be justified. Consistent with longstanding Department of Justice policy any decision to
      vary from the policy must be approved by a United States Attorney or Assistant Attorney General or a supervisor designated by the United States Attorney or Assistant Attorney General and the reasons must be documented in the file.

Second prosecutors must disclose to the sentencing court all facts that impact the sentencing guidelines or mandatory minimum sentences and should in all cases seek a reasonable sentence under the factors in 18 U.S.C § 3553. In most cases recommending a sentence within the advisory guideline range will be
      appropriate. Recommendations for sentencing departures or variances require supervisory approval and the reasoning must be documented in
      the file.

Seems like they better follow the rule of law and if they don’t, you have some incredible checks and balances when doing so. In my book, that is called some serious teeth behind the memorandum.

• TwoLaine says:

Me likey too.

• AmericaFirst says:

jnearen, The most irritating part of this whole thing for me is that government employees should not be receiving bonuses to begin with. Eliminating that, in all areas, would stop wasting taxpayer monies, and lessen the temptation to engage in corrupt activities.

• The Demon Slick says:

I can see bonuses for performance but not for prosecutors, that’s just wrong. But say somebody takes a ton of calls and helps people, that would be good because it would get them to answer the gosh darned phone.

7. patrickhenrycensored says:

eric holder’s nose flared over this announcement.
    Funny how holder’s ‘fixes’ to the criminal justice system fail to include discouraging people from breaking the law.

8. fleporeblog says:

Folks I hope you can appreciate the first speaker from NYC! Yes the city I live in is a cesspool of snowflakes. Our mayor is the biggest POS in the world. But just as our Lion, the police brass don’t care about DeBlasio or an repercussions for speaking out today in favor of our President and AG. They are cut from the same cloth as our Lion!

• mimbler says:

Would never have guessed you are from NYC. You must be one tough cookie to hold your views there!
      Mike

• ecmarsh says:

My wife and I have the fondest memories. Long, long time ago, we lived (about 5 years) in Chatham New York. I worked in Hudson. The pretties place I have ever been and the finest people I ever met. Standard transportation was a 4 wheel drive pickup with a gun rack filled with shotguns and rifles (loaded) hanging over the back window. Snow plow in the yard, chainsaw axes wedges and malls in the garage. This was for making extra money. Super Mario was governor and everyone was taxed to death. Cash was king because it was all under the table.
      I can not say enough good about the native New Yorkers.

9. MaineCoon says:

MAKE AMERICA SAFE AGAIN ☑️

10. KBR says:

End heroin trade: burn and salt heroin poppy fields.

11. Tonawanda says:

Opposing the drug war as fought is one thing, but the law must be followed and bless Sessions for restoring law and respect for the law as written.

If and when the law is re-written, it will be when society has come to that conclusion.

12. duchess01 says:

So refreshing having an Attorney General who is honorable and qualified – no more crooks in the DOJ – I say – Attorney General Sessions is going to make a difference – as much as the man in the White House – as Americans – we can be proud of the Trump Administration leadership!

13. Lucille says:

A.G. Jeff Sessions Acted Ethically in Joining in the Recommendation to Fire Comey
    Freedom Watch

14. Rip Tide says:

This new memorandum, with instructions, is undoubtedly laying the bedrock for the cases that are to come. As we all want swift justice, the AG and his team are carefully moving about their business it seems, so they leave absolutely no “loopholes” for the criminals to escape! They are methodically going after “bad actors”, which I soon hope includes some of the congress critters, Clinton and clan, and Ozero and all associates.
    Thank God for President Trump, and the very capable, professional cabinet and staff that he has around him. Butter the popcorn! This is gonna get better everyday.

• buzzybee says:

I’d forgotten about the popcorn! Going to make some now. I hope you’re right, RIP Tide, about things getting better daily. i do realize this all will take time. But I am still not tired of winning.

15. Bob Thoms says:

Fantastic to AG Sessions taking charge; I trust this man 1000%.

16. saywhat64 says:

Good to see that the rule of Law as it is written will now be followed. That being said, the war on Drugs and the subsequent Policing for Profit through Civil Forfeiture is an abject failure and needs to be revisited by the Legislators. One thing that does concern me about Sessions is his connection with the Police and the Prison industry lobbyist and their vested interest in maintaining unconstitutional practices of Policing for Profit and continuing the failed War on Drugs policies. As in Healthcare reform, no real change will be possible without kneecapping the influence of the big money lobbyist.

17. trialbytruth says:

Rush today was opining on trumps advisors being inept in. Of e,planning to POTUS how long the Russian thing would go on. I had to laugh.Noone is buying this cod piece while the media and dems wail and tend this happens. How many things have gone on under the radar of the reliable leftist supporters the SJWs and the ECO loons. While the accusers prisyadka round the stage

18. So is the DOJ going to again go after Canaabus charges for distribution in every state?

19. Keln says:

Maybe I am just confused here, and I am no legal eagle, but it almost sounds like Sessions is calling for prosecutors to be more lenient on point of sale drug trade and more harsh on distribution drug trade. I could be wrong, because the language is a little foreign to me.

However, if I were going to try and harm the drug trade, that is exactly what I would do. I would not waste resources on buyers and sellers, since that accomplishes almost nothing. There is no shortage of buyers and never will be. And there is no shortage of people willing to deal on the street for the easy money. A drug operation loses a dealer, they go get another one.

I would commit resources to the distribution and actual trafficking of the illicit substances. Those are the real “bad hombres”, and disrupting them is what would have a real, lasting effect on the drug trade itself. Plug up the border, and make it a mine field of law enforcement from there to their destinations.

I’d also get rid of Marijuana as a scheduled drug. That would wipe out nearly half of the drug trade, as it is the most common drug people use. I’ve never used the stuff and have no desire to, but I have been around people using it and they really aren’t much different than someone loading up on beer. In either case, not good life decisions, but it’s not the same as heroin and similar drugs that just destroy your life.

Actually, I’d argue that alcohol is worse in that regard, but still it’s not really the government’s job to police people’s stupid decisions. And Prohibition kinda proved how that fails.

Focus on what is important. The reason the “war on drugs” has failed so miserably is because the focus has been on inconsequential things. The cartels and the gangs are the enemy, not the idiot selling dope on a street corner or the dope buying it from him. Dry up the supply and the rest will fall into place.

• If we want to curtail the drug trade, just give informers on distributors and traffickers 20% of confiscated drug money, up to some limit. Higher limit, higher yields.

• Katherine McCoun says:

Like both comments.

Disagree that pot is not much different than beer. In my younger years I lived and worked in MT and in bars in NC. Pot in a regular basis Does hurt my people and fries their brain. I can still spot a regular user. Bet my boy is one of the few TN homeschoolers who know the word pothead and as been thoroughly warned. When we see homeless I talk drugs and how no one plans to fry their brain or become addicted and end up like that. Not every user do end up like that but none started out with that ending as their plan. many do not even realize what it’s done to them.

But should it be illegal? Different question. CO is seeing higher crime rates as predicted.

• shadowcole says:

Personally smoked a lot of pot in my teens, less in my twenties and none now. I don’t think it fries your brain or I wouldn’t have been able to go to college at 35 and complete a degree while working pt and raising a family. I have seen the effects of alcohol destroying someone’s life. Each of has our own decision to make about drinking and drugs. I don’t know anyone who died from an overdose of pot but alcohol and harder drugs even px drugs can be lethal.

• Minnie says:

Agree 100% Keln. Cut the drug trade off at the source.

Young people will stop dying.

• mimbler says:

Get rid of the safety net for able bodied losers, and you can get rid of the marijuana laws (as soon as you can get a mobile testing capability for drivers).

I don’t care what people do if I’m not paying for it, and they don’t maim or kill me,
      Mike

BTW, I would be in favor of testing for alcohol as well as drugs to be eligible for welfare type programs. I drink alcohol, and I’m not against marijuana. I just don’t want to pay for people using my resources for either.

• trumptyear says:

Marijuana is dangerous on constructon jobs. Watched alot of people lose their job or not get hired because of it. I felt sorry for them. BUT, they knew what they were doing.
      VERY SAD

20. alliwantissometruth says:

I’ll recommend some guidelines…

Governmental corruption:: 25 years in prison, no chance of parole, lost pension

Illegal aliens who haven’t committed other crimes: 1 year hard labor, forfeiture of all assets. Deportation after sentence is up. Arrested again in country, 15 years in prison

Illegal alien who commit other crimes: 10 years hard labor, forfeiture of all assets. Deportation after sentence is up. Arrested again in country, 25 years hard labor. Deportation after sentence if alive

Cop killers: Life in prison. No parole. Police from around country free to visit inmate at any time in private room with no camera’s. Free medical care for inmate in order to recover quickly for next batch of visiting police

Child molesters – abusers: ‘Censored” Description of inmate torture not suitable for public viewing. Free burial after death

MSMedia, Democrats, RINO’s, UniParty: Free airfare to communist country of your choice. Confiscation of passports. Banned from country for life

21. MEMO to MEDIA:
    AG Sessions did not mention drugs or marijuana.
    Jerks.

22. WeThePeople2016 says:

Rand Paul and Justin Amash are aghast of the new guidelines. Go figure.

23. LibertyVibe says:

Um…this is huge.

24. jwingermany says:

I absolutely get a kick out of AG Session’s little smilin’ smirk he gets when he knows he’s going to unload something onto the libs. He never gets ruffled by these fools…he ENJOYS it!

25. Katherine McCoun says:

Just read through the thread but no mention of this. How will Sessions’ renewed dedication to enforcing the actual law play out in states that have legalized pot, contrary to federal law? Can he be strict on law breakers in one state and lenient to those breaking the same law in others?

Regardless of one’s opinion on the question of to legalization or not to do so, right now it is what it is. The question of states having the ability to choose to override fed law was settled by Sherman & Grant some years ago. Like it or not, it’s the law of the land and needs to be enforced in all stares by the fed gov equally until the law is changed. Otherwise, law and order is questionable

26. dbobway says:

Let’s get somebody who knows how to get information out of these shovel leners.

27. Attorney General Jeff Sessions today issued the attached memorandum establishing charging and sentencing policies for the Department of Justice.

Great! Now it is past time to commence with the process of charging Hillary and sentencing her to the max.