Putin Flinches – Russian Media Report: President Putin Will Meet With T-Rex…

According to Russian state media reports President Vladimir Putin has reversed his prior position will meet with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.   This is the first flinch from Putin and highlights his awareness of how weakened his political hand has become.

The Trump administration, led by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, has maneuvered a strong-play (punched Assad, Russia and Iran directly where it hurts) and gathered the support of a massive international audience.

Putin’s intransigence and unwillingness to state publicly that chemical weapons are out-of-bounds, has created his isolation and diminishment. Additionally, U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley made Russia’s Deputy Ambassador Vladimir Safronkov look like a disconnected apologist for Assad’s brutality at the emergency U.N meeting.

Prior attempts to play out the optic of the unaffected strong-man (staying away from direct talks with T-Rex), have now collapsed and the political optic reversed.  Secretary Tillerson looms internationally as the tower of moral strength.  Instead of projecting strength President Putin looks weak, cowered and afraid of T-Rex on the international stage.  Hence, it does not come as a surprise to hear Vladimir Putin has reversed his decision:

(Via Daily Mail) Russian President Vladimir Putin will meet with Donald Trump’s chief diplomat after all during his stay in Moscow, a Russian television station has reported.

Putin’s spokesman said Monday that the foreign leader did not plan to see Rex Tillerson, the US secretary of state. Tillerson was to meet with Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, instead.

The Kremlin did not say why Putin was avoiding Tillerson – who arrived in Moscow late Tuesday evening – after meeting repeatedly with his predecessor, John Kerry, in the Obama years, only that he was not on the president’s schedule.

Russia‘s snub to Tillerson came after its verbal assault on the US for Trump’s air strikes in Syria. Putin’s government warned Trump that it was ‘one step from war’ with the US following the attack.

Tillerson hammered Russia right back on Tuesday, saying in a statement that Russia had ‘failed in its responsibility’ to locate and destroy Bashar al-Assad’s entire stockpile of chemical weapons.  (read more)

…”Make me a sandwich” !

This entry was posted in European Union, Iran, ISIS, Jihad, media bias, President Trump, propaganda, Russia, Secretary of State, Secretary Tillerson, Syria, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

262 Responses to Putin Flinches – Russian Media Report: President Putin Will Meet With T-Rex…

1. osage44 says:

I may be wrong, but I don’t buy Putin’s tough talk since the Syrian airstrike. It appears to me he is in a tough spot and is desperately trying to save face. What allies does he have that really matter? I think POTUS and TIllerson should wait a bit and then soften their statements against Russia. Tillerson in Moscow talking to Putin may be helpful. Does Tillerson have “good cop” in him?

• sundance says:

T-Rex is an Eagle Scout. He can kill prey, dress them appropriately, cook and serve them. He’s a well rounded doer like that. 😀

• trapper says:

Putin put himself in this spot by tying himself to Assad. That was a bad move from the get go, but he was obsessed with a Mediterranean port. He is also surrounded by internal enemies like Trump. Perhaps Lavrov had some influence in setting this meeting. I expect there are some things that must only be said one-on-one in a Russian SCIF, away from prying ears from both sides.

• NvMtnOldman says:

Obozo went soft on Russia. Trump and T-Rex need to be strong. Putin needs to know that the US holds the high cards now.

• WSB says:

The Daily Mail didn’t help either:

“The Kremlin did not say why Putin was avoiding Tillerson…”

LOL! Russian Bear looks like cub!

• Sunshine says:

He has no choice. He can’t afford to look like a loser, a coward, or a spoiled skulking brat. Trump holds all the cards.

• shallbe4 says:

When I was a child it was all about Duck and Cover. But even though I followed everyone else when the teacher said to Duck and Cover I never believed that we would have a Nuclear War with Russia. Instead if we did have a Nuclear War GOD FORBID the enemy would not be a country it would be a group of trouble makers.

• prof_robinson says:

While I agree completely; we have to very careful about Putin’s allies – they DO matter. Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba, NKorea, and China (although I think Trump neutralized that.) In the last 20 years, the worst and most dangerous regimes have been cooperating. The Nkorean nukes are Iranian nukes. Iranian missiles are NKorean missiles. These countries are all cooperating at some level. Trump has flushed them out in the open to some degree…but it will also force them to make a move in some way, soon. These are incredibly dangerous times.

• Why Venezuela and Cuba? Those countries are Socialist basket cases, Who wants an “ally” like that? Also, they pose no danger to anyone except their own citizens – who are in serious danger of running out of bread, gasoline and other valuable commodities.

2. somaspecialist says:

Im waiting for Michael Savage, Alex Jones, BB, and Cernovich to report this…oh wait I forgot. That will ruin their brand!

• Eileen says:

Surprised by Alex Jones because he does understand the way the President thinks. Cernovich doesn’t surprise me, nor Stefan Molyneaux because those people understand language and use it very effectively against the liberals. With Putin, Syria and healthcare, IMO, they are out of their league. What Trump is attempting to do with Syria takes a lot of confidence, much more so than most people have. Perhaps a Navy Seal would understand the tremendous self awareness it takes.

The President is right. Getting elected is a popularity contest. Being President requires understanding of people – a skill that most people do not have. What’s great about watching the administration is what I learn about people’s psychology. He is a master at human behavior and if I knew more about psychology I would journal the presidency and write a book about it; it’s fascinating.

• SuperTalk says:

I’ll say this about Michael Savage, Alex Jones, BB, and Cernovich, (add Laura Ingraham) they should be concerned and if they help prevent a wider war by making a public fuss now, I see the absolute value in that.

That said, it is boring to listen the never-ending criticisms and I have shut them off for the time being. Or maybe I’m just too busy with work? Whatever.
      I come to CTH for a much deeper look at these issues and none of those shows or outlets seem to scratch the surface of Sundance levels of analysis.

3. Anna says:

God Bless America!!! The feelings I had of my youth are returning that the American spirit is alive and well.

• shallbe4 says:

Anna wasn’t it great to believe in our nation and its government? I hope that the American Spirit is alive and continues to be well. Remember the movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington when what the people thought really mattered? We are starting to feel better now because we know that Trump feels we matter.

4. NJF says:

Love it!!!

5. WeThePeople2016 says:

Good news. Can’t wait to see a picture of the two of them.

6. I disagree with the characterization of this as Putin ‘flinching.’ No matter what really happened in Syria last week, the optimal MAGA scenario for Syria is the US and Russia getting together to defeat ISIS, which we caused, and then extricating itself from the situation as much as possible.

Whether Assad stays or goes is no real concern to us in the long run, as long as the Russians and Alawites are ok with whoever replaces him if he goes. The outrage over the gas attack, the US response, the media posturing from both sides is all well and good if the ultimate outcome is the US and Russia dealing.

The standing ovation from the ‘International Community’ means jack squat given it comes from a place of moral outrage over humanitarian concerns cynically being pushed to buttress the Neocon/Deep State objective of destroying Syria. As long as Trump has channeled the excitement of the last week into a completely different direction to what has been implied from the salivating media and uniparty, in addition to having made headway into the NK Problem, Trump can quit tomorrow and comfortably take his place as the best president of the last 100 years.

• 2x4x8 says:

that is what is missing here, the One Worlders have an agenda, for both Syria and Russia, the Establishment and their MSM move to fulfill that for them, so when Trump does something that benefits it, he will get praised, when Trump goes against their objectives he will get scorned

everybody’s eyes should be on that hidden objective, they were planned before hand, much like the Arab Spring

• fangdog says:

I too do not like the word “flinching” in describing this situation. I think of it as Putin using common sense.

• mariner says:

I too didn’t like that description, but I was afraid I’d be considered nit-picking to disagree with Sundance about it.

It is a symptom of the us-or-them thinking that many of us grew up with; I’d very much like a change to us-and-them.

Cooperation with Russia to achieve common goals (I hope the destruction of ISIS is one of those) would be a good thing for both countries and would help MAGA.

• shallbe4 says:

Fangdog Russia has a lot of problems right now. Its not like the Soviet Union. Putin needs the US and we need Russia. This could be the beginning of a Beautiful Friendship.

• ok4ayl says:

Just like China, Russia has to keep the peasants happy ( fed ) in order for the Oligarchs to remain in power, otherwise civil unrest, and that’s bad for business…….Trump knows this, Xi and Putin know this. Its all a game of GLOBAL economics, we have the Trump card in our hand, and he’s not afraid to use it…..MAGA!

• Benson II says:

I disagree. Putin made it very public he was not meeting with Tillerson. Very public. To now agree is indeed flinching which is mild compared to backing down which in a public way he did. He is the leader of Russia who refused to meet with our Sec. of State with the most lame excuse anyone could give. He’s now decided to do so. Trump 1, Putin 0.

• Derek of Florida says:

You’re right.

7. MVW says:

Ask yourselves how many regime changes in the ME has resulted in Christian genocide? All the chest thumping going on is delusion. Even under Saddam Hussein the Christians did better.

How many churches are there in our ‘ally’ Saudi Arabia country? Stop with the stupid.

Ask yourselves if things are so great with the strike on Syria, why is the media suddenly so nice (comparatively)?

Whatever.

• leebelieu says:

Christian genocide has been ongoing in the ME well before this strike or even Gulf War. Armenian genocide was about 100 years ago. Maronite Christians, targeted by Assads dad, Palestinians in the brutal decades long Lebanese civil war. As a share of population Christians have been dwindling for a long time. Being that Sisi is on Trump’s side and has done more to hurt ISIS, by killing the Muslim brotherhood, than “Saint” Assad, tells me we’re on the right track. Media being nice is irrelevant.

• cozette says:

Trump is in the ME to eradicate the ISIS caliphate which is the Koranic basis for the legitimacy for their call to world wide jihad. He understands ISiS have been our proxys in a war over, among other things, a pipeline. It doesn’t matter. ISIS has to be destroyed. He campaigned on it. Additionally, refugees from Syria are destabilizing Europe and now America. Trump promised to have ME leaders cooperate to build safe areas in Syria so these people can stay in their homeland and if here, they can return. Trump campaigned on this solution to the refugee problem too. Trump is doing exactly what he promised. In answer to the question why do we care about Syria I’d respond “It’s the Islamic refugees, stupid.” I wish Coulter, Ingraham and the rest of the pearl clutches saying Trump is going back on his campaign promises to listen to any of his rallies. ISIS and keeping refugees in the ME were a key part of his campaign. The whiners ate sowing seeds of doubt and inspiring fears of betrayal among Trumps based. They are, perhaps unwittingly, serving as agents for Trumps opponents by fostering division just when Trump needs solidarity. Shame on them. They are as easily triggered as the Left. And just as irrational and emotional. Sad.

8. jstanley01 says:

It looks to me like the Syrian Air Force’s culpability in the chemical attack has been independently verified. Others can read the link and make what they will of the Guardian’s report, but for me it is confirmation that the Trump Administration is telling the truth.

Moving forward, I see that I need to remind myself, more often than I have in the recent past, of the proverb, “Better to stay quiet and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

“Syria chemical weapons attack: what we know about deadly air raid”

9. Peoria Jones says:

Dang, Sundance, you made a yuge mistake (in my humble opinion). The article was great as usual. but…

When I scrolled down and saw P-man cuddling the koala, I had to stop and walk away. Literally. That made me laugh so hard, I had to hit the bathroom. Then, I poured myself a glass of wine to settle down and celebrate the inside joke I get to share with the other Treepers out there somewhere.

It took a while to get back to the point I could focus on the good news without LOL’ing. Man, I have other things I need to be doing. I just can’t quit you. Have mercy, please, and consider saving these precious pics for the END!

10. So, can we officially take the “muh Russia” narrative off of life support and let it mercifully die?

11. A2 says:

If you are interested in how the Russian media frames its messaging domestically and internationally over recent events, read this:

‘In the wake of Syrian missile strike, a look inside Russia’s alternate media reality’
    April 12, 2017 10.38am AEST

The article ends on this quote that may ring bells closer to home in light of the MSM and the comments sections of many websites.

“RT goes a step further, seeking to turn the strengths of liberal democracy into vulnerabilities. Its programming demonstrates how the right to question authority – an essential pillar of an open society – can also be “weaponized” by those who are prepared to exploit freedom of speech to undermine their rivals.”

• SpanglishKC says:

RT is only partially correct. No political system can sustain itself fully because it depends on flawed human beings to manage it. Americans are just fortunate that our nation’s Founding Fathers recognized this and created the best system possible given that humans have a propensity to repeat the same mistakes over and over for millenia.

12. Shadrach says:

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I have been waiting for the Tillerson/ Lavrov meeting feels like forever. Lavrov is a smart cookie, and Tillerson is his equal. Good grief….I’d pay some serious money for a seat at that table.

I love Lavrov (sorry, is my Kremlin-bot showing?) for his shrewdness and capability. I’ve been watching him for years, ashamed that we met him with John Frigging Kerry. That’s like going to a gun fight armed with a spork.

Now we’re showing up at the table armed with an AK-Tillerson. I am so sad this didn’t happen years ago, but by God I’m happy it’s happening now. Real men, with real heads on their shoulders…on both sides. For frigging once!!!

Putin attending is interesting. I hope it’s good he’s going, and not bad he found it necessary.

13. i'm just sayin'.. says:

T Rex: “The time has come Vladimir. Decide now how and with whom you will cast your lot.”

• shallbe4 says:

Vladimir Putin will cast his lot with us. He is a common sense man who will make sacrifices should they be necessary in order to maintain a good relationship with us. I can’t wait until I see Trump with Putin.

14. daughnworks247 says:

What a difference a week makes.

15. SafeSpace says:

Folks, this is what winning looks like. Take note, King Putt: Winners do not “lead from behind”, only beta males employthat fool’s tactic.