(Via U.S. Customs and Border Patrol)  Today, U.S. Customs and Border Protection is releasing illegal border crossing data through the month of February and the numbers show an unprecedented decline in traffic. From January to February, the flow of illegal border crossings as measured by apprehensions and the prevention of inadmissible persons at our southern border dropped by 40 percent.

The drop in apprehensions shows a marked change in trends. Since the Administration’s implementation of Executive Orders to enforce immigration laws, apprehensions and inadmissible activity is trending toward the lowest monthly total in at least the last five years.

This change in the trend line is especially significant because CBP historically sees a 10-20 percent increase in apprehensions of illegal immigrants from January to February.  Instead, this year we saw a drop from 31,578 to 18,762 persons – a 40 percent decline.

This is encouraging news as in the period from Oct 1, 2016 to the Presidential inauguration, U.S. Customs and Border Protection reported 157,000 apprehensions of illegal immigrants – a 35 percent increase over the previous fiscal year, with family units increasing by more than 100 percent. However, since President Trump took office on January 20, we have seen a dramatic drop in numbers.

The decrease is also encouraging news because it means many fewer people are putting themselves and their families at risk of exploitation, assault and injury by human traffickers and the physical dangers of the treacherous journey north.

Additionally, we are seeing an increase in the fees charged by human smugglers along the U.S. southwest border. Since Nov. 2016, “coyotes” have hiked their fees in some areas by roughly 130 percent – from $3,500 to $8,000 in certain mountainous regions. Changes in U.S. policy, including the detention of apprehended aliens, drive up the smuggling fees.

As directed in my memoranda implementing the President’s executive orders, we remain committed to carrying out fair, impartial and humane enforcement of the nation’s immigration laws. We will remain vigilant to respond to any changes in these trends, as numbers of illegal crossings typically increase between March and May. However, the early results show that enforcement matters, deterrence matters, and that comprehensive immigration enforcement can make an impact.

John F. Kelly
Secretary of Homeland Security  (link)

This entry was posted in Dept Of Justice, DHS, Illegal Aliens, media bias, Mexico, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Trump Effect – Customs and Border Patrol Report 40% Drop In February Illegal Border Crossings…

1. Sentient says:

Trump’s actions are making border encroachers and Islamic extremists not feel welcome here. Excellent.

2. Rip Tide says:

Remarkable results in a very short time. Our President gets stuff done, period! Now can congress please get to work…you are getting paid plenty for your jobs! Now get frickin busy!!

• donnajeanz says:

Maybe the Congress should be on a time clock. Punch in and out, only get paid for the hours they actually work, like the rest of us. Oh my goodness, we would save so much money. They should forget about talking, being on the news and get to the Real World of Work, ie Performance and Accomplishment…

• oldtoenail says:

Yeah they are getting paid plenty but it is NOT to do their job and the tax payer is not the ones paying them the really big money.

3. gerkmonster says:

But the media will actually try and claim with a straight face that they have no idea why this is happening.

4. gerkmonster says:

Fewer illegals and more jobs…. Win Win Win.

5. EWSoCal says:

How will America ever survive the economic collapse from having fewer “undocumented” “migrants”? We’re so gonna have to do all those jobs none of use are willing to do. /s/

• Maybe fat and out of shape Americans — or just those who are in shape and who want to stay in shape, will do the jobs that keep a person fit and healthy. Picking fields is one of those jobs, albeit nor 12 hour shifts, but 6 hour shifts for sure. I have myself purposely chosen jobs that required me to stay in shape. I just sort of told myself “I was being paid to stay in shape.”

Physical work is actually good for a person.

Will save on a gym membership as well!

• Yes, Moni – it’s like being a reporter for a small paper. You get paid to learn. After a few years doing that, I swore I’d never pay to learn anything again.
        Sadly, I have broken that promise many times. Who would pay me to learn Chinese? I did get the classes at no charge, since the local private college was offering the classes to our community. Who would pay me to learn Talmudic reasoning toward Halachic (legal) Ethical principles? See? Nobody. But I loved the classes.
        Never stop learning – it’s too much fun. But, really, it is still more fun to get paid to learn!

• doit4atlas says:

I’m a 57 year old computer programmer; change my career from microbiology to programming when I was 40. Programmers face countless programming languages and software programs in their daily work; the on the job learning process is ENDLESS. And, because of that, I feel like I’m getting paid to learn and working is actually FUN!

• dginga says:

I had a discussion yesterday with a leftie who was whining that the crackdown on illegals was going to decimate the volume of fresh, locally sourced fruits and vegetables at the Whole Foods down the street. I pointed out that the fruits and veggies will just cost even more than Whole Foods normal prices because the farmers will have to pay minimum wage and provide health insurance to the workers who are here legally (something this particular leftie has been arguing that the farmers should have been paying the illegals in the first place).

Since one of my first jobs as a kid was picking blueberries in the summer, I suggested that the farmers should recruit and hire black teenagers to pick the fruit. (This leftie argues constantly that the violence in the inner city is caused by a lack of jobs for black teens.). He scoffed at me and said, “That’s crazy! Black kids aren’t going to go out and pick strawberries and blueberries!”

• fuzzi says:

I live in NC. They could work tobacco, which is, from what I’ve heard, one of the dirtiest and hardest agricultural jobs there is.

There also are plenty of openings/jobs at hog farms, chicken farms, etc.

Oh, wait, perhaps the liberals don’t want the black youth to work in the fields, as it’s so demeaning, like being field hands. /s

• I agree, Moni. Especially after 50, if you don’t use it, you are going to lose it! Staying in shape, keeping weight down, practicing balance, exercising/challenging yourself both mind/body are all necessary to lessen the crappy effects of aging.

I have never been above doing certain types of work. Work and staying busy make me happy. I have worked menial jobs for next to nothing and I have had a very lucrative career….and lots of different types of work in-between over the years. Both ‘accidental’ and some intentional career changes. I have always looked at is as God opening and closing doors for me…it is up to me to ‘get the hint’ or step out of my comfort zones for His good for me.

Great news on this report of sundance’s. NOW, NOW… if we can just end ALL handouts and ‘free stuff’ to immigrants. How the heck did immigrants from the early 1800s -1920’s do it?! 😉

• aredtailblog says:

I dont even know how leftists can straight-faces use that as an argument. I’m thousands of dollars in debt, but oh, I only accept cushy jobs because reasons.

6. Sunshine says:

The power of a TWEET.

7. SoCal Patriot says:

I bet the Russians hacked into the CBP servers and planted this data, or maybe it was the CIA doing a false flag operation…dang, it is hard for me to keep things straight nowadays.

8. Pam says:

President Trump knew what he was doing when he tapped Kelly for DHS. He knew he could trust him to carry out new laws in addition to enforcing existing ones. Kelly means business!

• Beenthere says:

I know where you’re coming from. But remember these laws have been on the books for many years. It’s only being enforced now unlike the previous administration (I just can’t mention his name anymore.) who did nothing.

9. muffyroberts says:

Mhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw

10. I’m probably on the LATE FREIGHT here, but just saw this about self-proclaimed liberal progressive Dave Rubin “seeing the light” about “the regressive left” giving his reasons why the so-called liberal left are no longer liberal. And strange as it might be, Rubin was also interviewed by Alex Jones today. Looks like many people are waking up to the tyranny that is the REGRESSIVE LEFT!

Video 8:23 min. Dave Rubin, a self-proclaimed liberal explains the regressive left.

Trump movement is changing the political landscape for sure.

11. chojun says:

The only real explanation for this unfortunately is that the Mexican government was complicit in the mass illegal migration for economic purposes.

They completely ignored the human toll to prop up their failing economy. It’s not an unreasonable stretch to assume, by extension, that the drug trade goes equally unnoticed for similar reasons.

• fred2w says:

Sundance did a post where a former official from Mexico admitted to CNN of his government’s complicity.

• PreNanny says:

Our problems are vast with Mexico, that said it would be informative to see a breakdown of Nationality along with these monthly totals.
      I am also eager to hear of how many illegals are being KICKED OUT from within the Country. They have to go as they would in any other country on this planet.
      MAGA

• adoubledot says:

And that’s why I can take no more than a minute of listening to Jorge Ramos. Underlying what you pointed out and his “our country” BS is the Reconquista, but he’ll never admit it.

12. Journos Silent On Wikileaks Vault 7, Yet Demand War With Russia?! (Length 7:36 min)

David Seaman, the ex HuffPoo writer who was fired for writing an article and forwarding a Paul Joseph Watson video questioning Hillary’s ill health during the election addresses journalist LOUIS MENSCH who recently tweeted mocking him “is Davide Seaman even human,” and her obsession with wanting a war with Russia and the Ridiculous Russia meme.

He refers to as “PREDATORY CLASS TO PROTECT THE ELITE” who does a disservice to society; and how the elite traffic children. He will be speaking at the anti-PEDOGATE march in Washington DC on March 25th.

13. Finalage says:

I like the term Comprehensive immigration enforcement that Kelly used rather than comprehensive immigration reform that is always bantied about. It has a nice ring to it. MAGA!!

• nimrodman says:

I would contend that in this day and age, “throwing them all out” would constitute “comprehensive immigration reform”.

It’s comprehensive, no?

14. Aqua says:

Great job by Secretary Kelly and the Department of Homeland Defense. Now, I am stunned by the actual numbers of apprehensions per month. I had no idea the numbers were that high. Obama really screwed this country when he ignored all this for so long.

15. sDee says:

Take away the honeypot, the bears go home.

16. ZZZ says:

must be PDJT’s magic wand…no president before him could make this happen…gosh oh gee…

17. wasntme says:

Trump sets up a welcoming party for them and now they don’t want to come.
    Ingrates.

18. Craig W. Gordon says:

Gettin’er done buddy! Doing what you say and saying what you do.

19. Kenyon Hull says:

It is good to see that less illegal aliens are coming across the border. But lets build the wall and stop the criminals completely! By the way, it would be good to see the enemy media start telling the truth about those so called 11 million illegal aliens in country. It is closer to 50 million! Lets start moving them out!!!!

20. fuzzi says:

FYI: for those of you with access, the New England Journal of Medicine (usually left-leaning) is boo-hooing over the poor “immigrants” (illegals) who are afraid to access healthcare due to meanie Trump.

• I’m sorry, but you seem to misunderstand the central purpose of the New England Journal of Medicine. They invite occasional editorials from all across the political spectrum, but they exist primarily to publish original peer-reviewed studies. It’s the most influential source for comparing published internal medicine-related data in the world. Complaining about one of their editorials is like objecting to a magazine because it contains advertising.

21. joshua says:

I do not get the importance of comparing APPREHENSIONS to anything at all…..how many came in UNAPPREHENDED is the issue…..what is the total that tried to come in…not how many were apprehended….too many variables including staffing, weather, season, job demands, political directions and concentrations…..how many were a group family vs individual persons, how many were male only of adult age vs kids or dreamers?

This strikes me as non news news….