Amid Tears of The Fools – Betsy Devos Confirmed as Secretary of Education…

Democrats stayed up all night filibustering on the Senate Floor, gnashing their teeth and wailing with a pre-funded necessary indignation against the Trump nominee for Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos.

The NEA teachers union has paid tens of millions to democrats, and the NEA doesn’t like Betsy DeVos – ergo the Democrats had to put on a good show for the constituency of educational jackboots; and that’s all it was ever going to be, ‘a show’.

pence-smileDespite all of that, and as soon as they were done with their wailing, Vice-President Mike Pence simply walked  in to the Senate and cast the deciding vote to confirm DeVos as Secretary.

No climax, just deliberate business.

Next?

betsy-devros-3

This entry was posted in Education, Legislation, Mike pence, President Trump, Professional Idiots, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

357 Responses to Amid Tears of The Fools – Betsy Devos Confirmed as Secretary of Education…

1. Pam says:

Here is the White House feed for the swearing in ceremony which is scheduled to start at 5:30 pm ET.

2. MrE says:

Currently, parents can “choose” their children’s schools by 1) moving to a different – and usually more affluent – area, 2) sending them to a private school, or 3) sacrificing an income in order to homeschool.

All of these are technically possible, but they cost money. And a lot of it. So who is most significantly harmed by the education system’s current setup? Those who cannot afford any of the three options above, eg. the poor, particularly those trapped in the god-awful inner city schools.

Conclusion: The public education system was set up to oppress the poor and enslave them to the government. Couple it with the zillions of existing welfare programs, and you’ve got them for perpetuity. (LBJ is on record talking about how welfare would keep the black people voting Democrat for the next 200 years. Education was the next phase of that plan, but it had to wait until Jimmy Carter. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, but I don’t think it’s an accident that the DOE headquarters is named after LBJ.)

School choice will provide an opportunity for the poor to get their children into better schools and help them escape from the government’s clutches. The Dems can’t have that, so they hate Betsy DeVos and anyone who supports her.

• Concerned says:

Your comment made me think of one of my most frequent gripes: families (mostly single mothers) living in the deep dangerous ‘hoods of Chicago and are grifting on welfare could go anywhere in Illinois, there are some really nice small cities and towns, and get the same benefits and have much better environment for themselves and their kids. But they stay in the ‘hoods. The women have weaves and fake nails and blinged cell phones, the guys have shiny rims and expensive gym shoes … but neither of them can save up enough $$ to rent a U-Haul for a day and move their meager belongings to another place, a safer and better place. I’m ceasing to care about these people. They let their own kids live in neighborhoods where shootings are a nightly occurrence. There’s no hope for these people. Pardon my outrageous opinion but we should probably lace their water with birth control.

• georgiafl says:

The money they get on welfare doesn’t go to the kids or their upbringing. It goes to those luxuries.

• SarahforTrump says:

Not only that, but why would you want t reward their disgustingly savage behavior by giving them access to my children’s good school? Why?

• Wee2low says:

I was listening to Stefan Molyneux the other night and he was interviewing someone from Venezuela. As you know they’re loving it down there right now. Anyways, he was super critical of the Venezuelan people. He said that for the most part they’re stupid uneducated people who don’t like to learn. I think the average IQ there is 82. They keep wanting Socialism even though it’s the cause of their lot in life. Anyways I couldn’t help but compare your analysis with this man’s description of Venezuelans.

• wondering999 says:

Concerned… doing home health work on the side, I’ve met a lot of very hardworking single moms (over 50 hours per week at low pay, kindly looking after your ailing auntie with Alzheimer’s). Also lots of former single moms trying to make marriages work; if you’ve been married a long time you’ve probably encountered rough patches, some rougher than others. Should you stay with someone who drinks or sleeps around?

Just saying, if you knew some of the people you’re talking about you a little better, or tried to see them the way Jesus would, you might think differently. As our new Prez says “it’s a complicated business”.

Moving out to a “safer and better place” doesn’t always work the way you planned. I know a few people who have done that. Your used car craps out along the way; you lose your job if the car can’t get you to work; the kids get held back and excluded from the sports program because their grades are low because their primary grade instruction was useless; your next door neighbors in the affordable neighborhood turn out to be crackheads and dealers who shoot into your house while aiming at each other.

I side with Eva Moskowitz: I’ve seldom met a parent who didn’t want their kids to have every possible benefit available. Let’s make it possible! (Eva Moskowitz does) and everybody will come out ahead on the deal. A new generation of competent citizens will Make America Great Again. MAGA

• DGinGA says:

I’d like to add to your post that the reason the NEA and AFT are so opposed to school choice is because 1) It will benefit the private schools and 2) Once the best and brightest are out of public schools it will be easy to shine a light on the real problems in the public schools. We pretty much know what the big problems are, it’s just that politicians are afraid to name them, and school administrators are loathe to do anything about them.

Let’s stop keeping generations of children in failing schools. For those whose parent(s) want them out, give them a way out. Those whose parent(s) don’t give a rip don’t really have much chance anyway.

• Maybe we need a “War on Indolence”… encompassing Ignorance, Dependency, Drugs, Crime, Fatherlessness, Faithlessness (yes, legitimate religions inculcate values).

• … but a War on Indolence would require EVERY facet of America’s government working in concert to end it – at national, state and local levels. If President Trump could pull that off during his term of office, he would become the Greatest National Leader in history.

• Paul Killinger says:

That wasn’t always true. Public education was initially designed as a low cost alternative to private (and sometimes parochial) schools.

However, over time its standards for excellence lagged and in extreme instances it has become a holding pen for truants until they reach the age of majority. Moreover, teachers unions and Govt interference have generally made a bad situation worse.

So Secretary DeVos is on the right side of history. President Trump’s friend Carl Icahn funds several charter schools (out of his own pocket) in New York City, which are so popular they have to hold LOTTERIES for admittance.

Democrats would do well to rethink their position on this issue in favor of their own constituents, but they are so caught up in the votes and money the present system provides them they can’t.

Once unleashed, charters and school vouchers will help lead the way to their demise.

• wondering999 says:

God bless Carl Icahn for making this happen. And near a homeless shelter at that! Making sure fellow citizens don’t “fall through the cracks” at a vulnerable time
          Long school days are a blessing for kids who don’t have a parent at home, “latchkey kids”

• barnyardboss says:

The NEA is nothing more than teamsters in drag.

• Bob Kalle says:

Just a thought. With the unions, the education system can not clean out the ones needed to be cleaned out, and second, how will the government control education if they are in a charter school system. By the way, when a child goes to charter school, that money is taken from the public school system and given to the charter school. The bad teacheers will have to go away.

• Let me tell you my story with my younger son…I had a very nice house in little nice neighborhood surrounded by bad apartments…After my separation from my ex we agreed that I and our son will live there…He went to the nice elementary school: he was accepted there because his big brother was there many years before…But when the time came to go to middle school, he couldn’t go to good middle school where again his big brother went because it was performing arts school and my younger was not as talented as his brother…At the same time I finally got divorce and I sold my nice house, which I got after the divorce (my ex got another one)…Middle school where my son was forced to go was 100% black problem kids…So I bought very tiny condo, where I am still living but in the neighborhood with the best schools in Houston: Spring Branch district…
      Now my younger son is 30 and a practicing attorney…I lost my dream house, but I gave my son a future.

• barnyardboss says:

and any black woman who cared about her children could do the same. but their culture is that of central african matriarchies, where all their many children from different fathers must fend for themselves- in america the fight for survival means gangs and prison for many.

• cking6178 says:

congrats…I lived in Midtown (right off W. Webster st) for a few years and then moved out to Katy once we had our first child – Firethorne community (we now live in the Lake Norman area of North Carolina)…not agreeing with your “libtard” husband (comment below), but there is an element to truth in what he says – though he’s conflating things in typical liberal fashion…I was a military brat, so growing up we moved around A LOT…I went to 2 different elementary schools, 2 different middle schools, & 3 different high schools in different parts of the country (Maryland, Hawaii, Colorado, & Texas)…It’s never as easy as saying “oh just get your kids in the right school because then they’ll succeed”…people fail to realize (or maybe they just ignore?) that there are still bad influences in affluent neighborhoods, so the responsibility is still on the parents to ensure their children’s success…In my humble opinion, there are three factors to success in educating children: 1) parents reinforcement at home; 2) child’s ambition/desire to succeed – which of course stems from the parents; and 3) teacher to student ratio – this tends to be the biggest problem at underfunded public schools – which is why we are trying to get our daughters into the local charter school – which has 6 3D printers on campus, no other school (public or private) in the Charlotte, NC area has that…education is the key to success in today’s society, so good for you for recognizing that and sacrificing for your children’s success, I’m sure they appreciate it.

• Recently I and my son had that conversation about schools (he is a liberal) and I told him that with his political views I probably made a mistake of not keeping my nice house with horrible public schools (I was kidding)…and his reply was that I did a good thing for him moving him to a great schools…

3. HolyLoly says:

In the meantime, Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) introduced H.R. 899 today to abolish the federal Department of Education on December 31, 2018.

• quintrillion says:

Yeah. Do it. H.R. 899. De fund it then abolish it.

• In AZ says:

All of a sudden Republicans are working.

Is this bill by Rep. Massie due to his opposing De Vos and / or President Trump?
      I do not know anything about him. I question the motives of these politicians since President Trump won.

• HolyLoly says:

I’m not aware of him opposing Devos or Trump. Massie is one of the conservatives in the House who rode in on the Tea Party wave and has always been in favor of shrinking the size of the federal government. Many others have advocated abolishing the Dept of Ed primarily because the Constitution does not give power to the feds to regulate public schools to begin with.

My hunch is that many conservatives see the Republicans controlling Congress and the White House as an opportunity to move on bills they have all dreamed of and that we will see more bills like this one begin to emerge. The timing may be perfect because Devos could get to work on school choice and gradually phase out the department completely. Not sure if Trump would sign the bill if it gets through Congress but many would be thrilled to see it pass.

4. Off topic, but when is the Senate going to get around to approving President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee? Sooner would have been better, particularly with the 9th Circuit likely to pontificate on the “Muslim ban” very soon.

5. Mr. Morris says:

Heavens knows our educational system is badly in need of reform. Betsy DeVos may be the spark needed to help kids and teachers, and parents.

6. Martin says:

By reading some of the “concern” comments here, I guess you can’t please everyone. Bottom line, Devos works for Trump and will implement his (America First) agenda. If she doesn’t, she’ll be gone. Simple as that.

• BakoCarl says:

Yes! And apply “works for Trump and will implement his (America First) agenda” to every case where the appointee has something in the appointee’s resume that tends to “tarnish” them.

Such as, “Oh, no! When the appointee was 12, he had a summer job mowing the lawn for the cousin of a janitor that worked for Goldman Sachs.”

• Paul Killinger says:

Devos and Trump are EXACTLY on the same page on expanding secondary educational opportunities. And that fails to mention this issue is also a really big deal to the President’s close friend and ally, Carl Icahn.

• TheTorch says:

Any concerns about DEVOS should now be put to bed.

The left is going absolutely crazy. They are flinging everything at her. They are losing the plot even more than yesterday!

Proof if needed that they fear her, so if that is the case, I love her 🙂

That does not mean it will all work out, she has to prove herself in the role, but clearly she is upsetting all the right people, so lets cut her some slack, and see what happens.

7. ledeplorable says:

Pinch me…I must be dreaming…this can’t be real……we are really going to begin to give young people a chance in life with education opportunities they never had !!!

8. Not the right place to post this, but I don’t want it to get lost on the Presidential thread: https://worldtruth.tv/saudi-arabias-capital-rocked-by-ballistic-missile-strike/

9. Sentient says:

Last night I watched Michael Moore and Keith Ellison talking. It was linked from Moore’s twitter – which I check for yucks. They were excitedly hoping Devos would be rejected. Bwahaha. Suck it up, buttercups.

10. fedback says:

Easy to give Dems a taste of their own medicine.
    Betsy DeVos was discriminated against because she is a woman. Misogyny from the left

11. aprilyn43 says:

And, I just prayed consistently that Betsy DEVOS would be confirmed … God listened, &
    BETSY’s in!
    GOD WINS …..

12. Some hyped up Trump supporter’s reaction to the tie breaking vote 😉

13. Pam says:

The White House feed is now live.

14. Who the list of the cabinet member that are left be confirmed other than Sen. Sessions?

15. Pam says:

16. SteveInCO says:

Love the smile in the Congratulations picture, it’s infectious.

17. Pam says:

18. decisiontime16 says:

Since Susan Collins (R) voted against Betsy DeVos, it makes me all the more confident she was the right choice for Department of Education. Congratulations!

19. Athena the Warrior says:

Remember, Michelle Malkin Twitchy to Salem Media. Don’t be fooled by her alleged Trump conversion to get back on TV like the Hannity show. She’s being very critical of DeVos and those who confirmed her:

20. ryanomalley1 says:

Wouldn’t now be a good time to kill the Department of Education, the most useless and harmful government agency in America?

• SteveInCO says:

Are you sure about that?

Not about it being a good time to kill it, but about it being the most useful and harmful government agency?

It’s plenty harmful, don’t get me wrong…but it has a LOT of competition for being the worst!!!

• mw says:

Right when we have someone great to lead it? Um, no.

• robomom7 says:

Massie intends to do that. We should rally behind him. Yes, it is the most harmful because it is damaging our kids and grandkids. They are being dumbed down and indoctrinated. Why do the children always get the leftovers when they should be our first consideration? @RepThomasMassie should have had thousands of likes and shares by now. If we don’t spread the word, the media will bury it.

21. R-C says:

We are friends with several teachers in our area–they prefer to be called educators–who are now absolutely beside themselves at the DeVos confirmation. ‘Splodey-heads, everywhere.

“You seem ‘a bit’ put out by this nomination,” I said, (controlling my urge to laugh).

“Are you KIDDING?! DeVos is a disaster. A DISASTER!

“Well”, I said, “It seems to me that Mr. Trump likely picked DeVos precisely because she does not share your point-of-view. You don’t ‘own’ the field of education, and you don’t get to have ‘Your Way’, all the time, every day–and especially not after your party was trounced so thoroughly in the latest election, pretty much nationwide.” (I watched for steam to come out of their ears.)

“There is a ‘Learning Point’ here,” I added, “You educators ought to like those. DeVos represents a ‘Check and Balance’ upon an education system that has marched in lock-step for too long down an incorrect path…’Common Core’ being the ‘poster child’ for the mess in our education system. Hopefully, the Congress can abolish the extra-Constitutional Department of Education entirely, once and for all, and control of education can once again return to the local level, where it always belonged.”

(I’m not too popular among that crowd just now…)

• SteveInCO says:

(I’m not too popular among that crowd just now…)

Fancy that.

• nimrodman says:

re “Learning Point”

I believe they prefer the construct “Teaching Moment”

• nimrodman says:

… but I’m not in the industry, it’s just the phrase I’ve heard Barky and other leftys lecturing us with incessantly the past decade or so.

You know, “teaching moments” in that “village” that it “takes.”

• Paul Killinger says:

With any luck Mr Trump can get the Congress to block grant federal education funds to the states (funding charters and vouchers if they want them), and then lay off at least half of the Department of Education’s employees as excess.

• robomom7 says:

Scaling down the Department of Education would definitely be a step in the right direction. However, one of Trump’s most often repeated promises was to “eliminate” Common Core… we need to hold him to that.

• robomom7 says:

I would agree with you if that were the case. Betsy DeVos is loved by the “rebranders” of Common Core, Mike Pence being the original rebrander in his own state. Rick Scott rebranded Common Core in Florida after changing a tiny fraction of the curriculum. It is now called “Florida Standards,” but it is still Common Core. Teachers don’t want anything to do with Jeb Bush and his “education foundation.” DeVos is joined at the hip with Jeb and donated millions to his foundation. Teachers have been demoted to the role of “facilitators” instead of teacher. Their hands are tied.

22. freepetta says:

Dems are so disgusting and they are traitors. The whole party should be disbanded.

23. dawndoe says:

Perfect pic of VP Pence for this article! LOL

24. Pam says:

25. Pam says:

26. WeThePeople2016 says:

The Democrats were rude to Mike Pence when he was trying to cast his vote for DeVos. With all that they have said and have done to her, she has shown so much dignity and class through all of it. God speed Betsy DeVos.

27. rsanchez1990 says:

Head Clown Schumer really needs to grow up.

28. Maineiac says:

With all the discussion about DC’s place in the scheme of all things educational, I am left with a thought I had decades ago. It seems to me that many of the problems we see in US education result from parents who do not insist on higher educational standards.
    I had many a battle with local educators and school board back in the days when the first grads from the 60s were starting to infest the education system. When I saw what was happening even then made me feel as though I had fallen down the rabbit hole. Very few parents then were either interested in or aware of the fruit basket upset that education those many years ago had devolved into.
    I finally enrolled my daughters in a Catholic school and know for certain that that they could never have achieved academically what they did had they remained in public school.
    Sadly a friend was investigating Catholic education for her grandchildren and abandoned the project when she found the local parochial schools were using Common Core.

• jmclever says:

As a parent of gifted children, I can tell you that the problem is that students are nothing but data points that translate into dollars. Not only are low level kids not brought up to their potential, gifted children are squelched. American exceptionalism is DEAD because the education system smothered it to death.

• julegate says:

Did she look into Lutheran Schools? I don’t know if they are teaching Common Core.

• robomom7 says:

The problem with vouchers, which sound so good, is that schools that accept government money will soon be required to administer Common Core aligned tests. It is already happening in some places. The kids who use vouchers are or will be required to take Common Core aligned tests. In order for the children to pass Common Core aligned tests, the schools will have to “teach to the test.” And so on…. The government will NEVER solve all of our nations problems. It was not meant to solve all of our problems.

• DianaK says:

My daughter’s Lutheran school just switched to Common Core math this year. As a result we are looking for another school. It’s horrible.

• Maineiac says:

We live in small town Maine where there are very few alternatives to public schools and no Lutheran schools.

• robomom7 says:

Sadly, that is the case. Many Catholic Schools are using Common Core curriculum which is bulging with political correctness and values that many parents do not agree with.

29. nimrodman says:

“… results of a competency test given to applicants for teaching positions in Pinellas County, Florida (which includes St. Petersburg and Clearwater), cited in Time, June 16, 1980. To pass this grueling examination, an applicant had to be able to read at the tenth-grade level and do arithmetic at the eighth-grade level. Though they all held B.A.’s, 25 percent of the whites and 79 percent of the blacks failed. Similar statistics exist for other places.

Walter Williams, Catholics, the Projects, and Schooling for Blacks: Something is Wrong Somewhere – Fred on Everything

30. wolfmoon1776 says:

Summary (apologies to Secretary DeVos’ hairstylist):

DeVos nomination is in trouble:

Under-President saves the day:

Pocahontas blames Senator Scumbucket for the defeat.

Oh, yeah. Too much winning.

31. Prothonotary Warbler says:

I’ve seen reports of butthurt leftists threatening to homeschool their kids in retaliation for Betsy DeVos becoming the new Secretary of Education.

I say, please, do it! A little healthy distrust of the government is a good thing. If it takes having people I actually like being put in charge to make you see that… well, I might say “I told you so”, but it’s not gloating; I’ll just be happy to see liberals come around to the conservative view on this point, and I’ll want them to realize that that is actually what has happened.

32. Trump's Aussie Mates says:

Apologies for not having read the entire comments thread. Why was VP Pence vote needed? Which Republicans didn’t support DeVos? I thought senate makeup was 52 versus 46(+2).

33. wolfmoon1776 says:

Check this out. On cue – a call to eliminate the department – READY FOR THE LEFT TO GLOM ONTO.

*The bill, H.R.899, is only one sentence and states: “The Department of Education Shall Terminate on December 31, 2018.” *

34. lbmomblog says:

one small step for death to common core, one large step for school choice.

35. kimosaabe says:

36. Jason Ross says:

So much winning. So much. Bigly.
    A meme is going around on social media, pointing out that Sessions’ getting stalled as AG actually allowed him to remain in the Senate, ensuring DeVos would get the req’d number of votes.
    The Dems circle the wagons and they still can’t do anything right.

37. shirley49 says:

How about looking at how it used to be done. How about teaching Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, History and Civics. Add a little discipline in with that and you will get what the schools used to produce, Educated Citizens.

38. froggieleggs says:

I have no hope that a woman who’s family created GLEP (Great Lakes Education Project), will do away with Common Core. GLEP has always been for Common Core and has spent millions lobbying for it! I don’t care how many times she says she’s not for it, she is! You don’t give millions in donations to an organization you helped create and be on the chair of it then when given the appointment to the education department, all of a sudden say, I’m against it. Yeah I’m not buying it. She’s a lobbyist. That’s all she’s ever been. Hand out money to those who will push your agenda. I support Trump but I don’t support this nomination.