Why Is Donald Trump So Formidable? – Perhaps Because He Owns The Downside…

Originally posted six months ago, reposted due to timely relevance.

Regardless of who you supported in the 2016 Presidential primary race, most will admit there’s one strategic advantage held by Donald Trump over all other candidates – Trump’s willingness to “own the downside“.

trump dr phil shrug

All policies and proposals have a “downside“, there’s no such thing as a policy proposal with benefit to all and harm to none.

This empirical truth is toxic to professional politicians – therefore they spend an inordinate amount of time using pretzel logic to avoid it.  As a direct consequence of avoidance, the media love to use the downside as a weapon.

For the first time in recent political memory Donald Trump represents a candidacy who is unafraid of their spear; and as a consequence, immune to the damage.

A case in point – NBC’s Chuck Todd thought he could deploy the downside weapon during a Trump campaign stop in Iowa (State Fair). During the exclusive interview aboard the Trumpo Jet Todd deployed his arsenal – “but you can’t actually remove illegal immigrants, I mean you can’t actually deport them“.

Trump owned the downside. “Chuck, yes, yes we will. Either we have borders or we don’t; either we have a country or we don’t“.

Like all other media punditry, Chuck was left aghast. The dangling participle remained naught but a withering “but… but…” Watch:

Every other candidate who has ever existed in the history of modern political candidacy, would have given some form of “acceptable” alternative response. (ie. a PC version.) (ie. a lie.)

Not Trump, he owns the downside.

This approach is what makes ‘Splodey Heads!

A Second Case In Point – Trump does it again with CNN’s Jake Tapper, only this time Trump frames the controversial position ownership with an explanation.

Donald Trump is backing up his previous position that removing Iraq’s Sadam Hussein and Libya’s Kaddaffi was not a good idea. Jake Tapper is aghast: “what about the human rights abuses”?

Trump owns the opposite: Human rights abuses? …”you don’t think they’re happening now? They’re worse now than they ever were. People are getting their heads chopped off, they’re being drowned in cages. Right now they’re far worse off than they ever were under Saddam Hussein or Kadaffi”…

Watch:

Another ‘Splodey !

It doesn’t matter what the issue is.

When confronted by his tax proposal to eliminate taxes on wage earners below $50k Trump is challenged with the “skin in the game” argument. The response is simple: “look, it costs more for the processing of those income tax filers than the revenue which comes from them“…

• Media: Jeb Bush want’s a no-fly zone in Syria?
  • Trump: When did ISIS get airplanes?
  • Media: You can’t build a wall?
  • Trump: I build things, that’s what I do – watch me!
  • Media: You’re going to deport 11 million people. You’ll need a “deportation force“.
  • Trump: What does I.C.E do?

And on and on it goes. Simple cut-to-the-chase responses with total fearless ownership of any downside from a policy proposal.

• Media: But you used to be a Democrat, you have donated to Democrats?
  • Trump: Yes, I live and work in New York. NYC is all Democrats, if I need to leverage assistance for my company goals I need to work with Democrats. It’s a business necessity; I look out for my employees and their best interests.
  • Media: But you had Hillary Clinton at your wedding?
  • Trump: Yes, it was an amazing event, the best, the biggest, the most elegant, and I asked her and Bill to attend. They did. Wouldn’t you, I mean if I invited you?
  • Media: You spend all this time talking about polls. You seem obsessed by polls?
  • Trump: Yeah, that’s because I’m winning them. If the polls were not good, I wouldn’t even mention them. Duh.

The march of the Trumpisms’ continues:

• Megyn Kelly: “You’ve called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs,’ and ‘disgusting animals’…”
  • Trump: “Only Rosie O’Donnell.”
  • Media: You can’t build a wall!
  • Trump: “Sure I can, AND Mexico is going to pay for it!!”
  • Media: But you support Eminent Domain?
  • Trump: Yeah, and “Try building the Keystone Pipeline without it”..
  • Media:  But you called Sanders a maniac!
  • Trump: “And a Communist”, don’t forget!
  • Media:  But you declared bankruptcy!
  • Trump:  “Yup, sure did.  And I Chaptered 4 out of 400 companies. Took over bad deals and made money on those too !”…
  • Media:  But you held a rally and someone said Obama was Muslim, and you didn’t defend him from it!
  • Trump:  Yeah, “Would he defend me? I don’t think so!”
  • Media: But you attacked Ben Carson! “…
  • Trump: Well, I never hit my mother on the head with a hammer! Did you, Bill?”

When you compare how Trump owns the so-called “negatives”, you immediately recognize they are only negatives if he allows them to be. Thus, he doesn’t let them be issues – he owns them, and says “yeah, so?

Trump has spent decades with Park Row media types. He has never avoided them, he totally understands how they operate – and more importantly “why”?

The most stark contrast is Donald Trump when contrast against others in the race like Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz. Like Trump they all have historical issues and/or policy proposals with severe downsides. However, unlike Trump – Bush, Rubio and Cruz keep trying to play the game of avoiding their history (as if it doesn’t exist) and downsides from policy.

Imagine if Jeb Bush said:

“hey, I know Super-PACs are a bad idea, but without them I wouldn’t stand a chance”.

Imagine if Marco Rubio said:

“hey look, the reason I supported the gang-of-eight was because I was a freshman senator and their offer made me feel superior, like I was an important and influential member of the Senate – it was a massive ego boost”.

Imagine if Ted Cruz said:

“yeah, I know I didn’t support conservative incumbent challengers s in the 2014 primary races, but it was only because I was trying to ingratiate myself to the powerful interests in the GOP leadership – I was trying to gain more influence”.

Can you imagine that?

Nah, me neither.

See ya at the next Winner’s Rally !!

…”I’d rather have a known billionaire I elected representing me than a hundred faceless billionaires, I don’t know, who are backing another candidate for their own best interests”…

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Election 2016, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

134 Responses to Why Is Donald Trump So Formidable? – Perhaps Because He Owns The Downside…

1. SoulMan says:

Yep and Trump supporters know and understand he has flaws just as each of us are flawed in some way but we accept this fact because he owns it and know that Trump is our best hope, warts and all.

• Dick Albright says:

And each of us feels him speaking to us almost individually, a sort of up-close bonding the others never had, except Reagan and JFK, if you were there. Cruz talks at you, Donald confides in you…”that’s what we want, right?…our country back (thumbs up).
      “…Look over there, I love that guy…” “Here…come up here with that beautiful baby…Trump hat and all…!” “Are we having fun here…huh…are we?” “Can you imagine…55,000 negative ads…mostly wrong…a little bit right…but mostly wrong…”

• wasntme says:

Yeah the anti-Trumpers want to compare him to the perfect candidate that doesn’t exist. I compare him to the RINO’s that have been betraying us for too long. I don’t agree with everything he says, but on the other hand, I don’t believe anything coming out of the UniParty. And the more the UniParty tries and stop him, the more I know he’s the right guy for the job. I don’t have to see another campaign ad for anybody, I know who I’m voting for.

2. Bart Manson ✓ᴺᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰᵃˡᶦˢᵗ says:

He did it with trade as well.

Q: Are you open to tariffs?
    Trump: I’m totally open to tariffs!

Q: People say it will start a trade war.
    Trump: We’re losing $500B a year to them, we’re probably better off in a trade war.

Q: Prices on goods will go up which hurts Americans.
    Trump: That will be offset by everyone having a job.

• auscitizenmom says:

I thought I heard Trump answer a question about prices going up and said there will be a difficult time for a while.

• thehourofdecision says:

I don’t recall, but Sundance posted a great piece about this subject awhile back. Essentially, electronics and clothing would go up in price, but it would be offset by higher wages and tax cuts. He showed that the price of a polo shirt may have been comparatively higher in 1984, but the price of milk, eggs and other food products was much cheaper. Also, by manufacturing our own goods we have more innovation and don’t lose our technology to China or the other nations where our companies set up shop. We also become more insulated from global financial crises because we are not dependent upon foreign nations for our goods. As Pat Buchanan wrote recently in an article regarding Trump’s trade policies, it is better to be the owner of the orchard than the one who eats the apples.

• amjean says:

Then we need to not purchase so many shirts, etc.
          And I, for one, will be estatic if my grocery bill
          goes down! There has to be artificial price
          manipulation re food.

• thehourofdecision says:

Yes. Maybe Sundance can provide a link to that article, but the increase in price for clothing wasn’t extreme. It was like buying a shirt for $20 today at Walmart, vs. $50 for a shirt made in the U.S. I think he wrote that an I-Phone (which I personally don’t own anyway) would be about $800 vs. $600. So, the prices wouldn’t be outrageously higher and we would have higher wages and the pride of making our own goods and being economically independent again. If I have to pay more for televisions, phones and other electronics made in the USA, it is a small price to pay for strengthening my country.

• Triumphant Trump says:

I wear designer clothing all the time, at ridiculously low prices by shopping at local thrift stores. It’s amazing the quality goods that people donate, some without ever having been worn.

• Dick Albright says:

What the pundits and ‘Establows’ don’t realize is that ‘effective negotiating’ begins with making contact…eye contact and finding the root problem. Principle of three–easy guy, hardnose and middleman in the meeting State the prob, alternate solutions, consequences, workarounds…and more to offset immediate impacts to the people and country. Have a strategy, plan and three solutions to every dilemma with varying degrees of WIN-WIN. He knows the drill by heart and has salvaged more and reaped more with his intellect and common sense than most. Look at his “Carl Icahn Bromance” –two Titans (finally) on our side, Wait till the Koch Bro’s sidle up to Trump’s Team…then watch Soros blink.

• dogsmaw says:

I can’t donate my goods cause they all worn out and thrown away, besides that I wore hand-me-downs most of my life…just got word that my incoming granddaughter has a closet full of beautiful hand-me-downs just waiting for her arrival. I do remember being able to buy an Easter outfit every year if I had earned enough money by then to purchase it. Lord have mercy I don’t think they had designer clothing kept for the movies back then 😛

• JoJo says:

If we are going to have prices increase due to Trump tariff policy, now is the time. Financial and economic “experts” are wetting their pants worried sick about having more deflation.
              Right now the deflation is just in commodities, mainly oil, and interest rates due to govt mandate, but that could catch fire and Boom! No pension funds. No profit growth. Decreasing production. Maybe even decreasing salaries. The only happy people would be people on fixed incomes – their money could buy more stuff.
              I’m not sure what would happen to the stock markets, but suspect price changes would be mixed – some up, some down.

• thehourofdecision says:

Great points. The only reason we have not seen a total collapse is because of the flow of money and consumer spending derived from savings and people living on fixed incomes. Younger people are unable to form households (50% of 25 year olds still live at home). The economy is smoke and mirrors. Russia, China and India have been buying up gold and at some point the gold reserves will run out and the truth will be known. When the savings of the Baby Boomers and older folks dries up, consumer spending will plummet and the true state of the economy will be seen. This is why it is essential to rebuild our manufacturing base and strengthen our national economy. The hundreds of thousands of jobs supposedly being created each month are part time and temporary jobs in service industries like home health care, bartenders, waitresses, etc. They do not pay sufficient wages for those under 40 to form households. Also, many of the jobs created are actually full time workers being switched over part time. The statistics are phony, just like the unemployment numbers that Trump talks about.

• Dave says:

If you take into account a 19 to 20% corporate tax cut that would make costs much less.

• Bacall says:

I wrote a note to the campaign today that we also need to be reminded that American manufacturing and ingenuity was the best in the world. Now we have crappy copper pipe, moldy dry wall, and formaldehyde flooring from China plus all our produce with the bacterial infections from Mexico (lettuce, etc.) Cheap labor and poor oversight make cheap product.
          And there is no point to EPA when we’re not producing anything but pharmaceuticals.

• Mike says:

The biggie is price manipulation in medicine. Many generic drugs here cost 100x to 10,000x their international retail price. Monopoly, regulations, and citizen restrictions drive up the cost of medicine and decrease the effectiveness of medical treatment broadly by better treatments that are disallowed here.

• tony E says:

true. an albuterol inhailer for asthma here cost 50 plus. i bought the same one in mexico for 12 dollars. we, the US, pay out the ass to cover the rest of the world.

• I buy my thyroid (synthroid) in Thailand, over the counter, for $3.00 and that amount lasts for three years.

• be says:

Mexicans are also allowed to purchase many drugs w/o a Dr.’s prescription which also ads another $100.00 cost to the prescription.. I think we are as smart as Mexicans and should be allowed the same priviledge.

• Sam says:

No question about that. One generic drug I take cost $1.34 last year. This year the same drug costs $41. Another generic drug cost $5 last year. Now it costs $50. This is crazy! And then I hear the BS about drugs costing 3 to 5% more due to Obamacare. Add a couple of zeros to those percents and double or triple them and you have the correct answer.

An out of control and living in the past FDA also jacks up th e price of drugs with ridiculous rules. So drug manufacturers try to compensate with very high prices. If they are forced to sell at a loss in Europe where prices are regulated by law, guess who pays higher prices: we do.

• fishon2016 says:

I remember that one to. It would be good to read it again it was very insightful.

• dbobway says:

Things we have to buy today, energy, food, gas and insurance are thru the roof.

This is how the left handcuffs the poor.

Insurance is insurance. Car insurance is cheaper today than ever before. The benefits of that market offer more bang for the buck, why?

We took Crony away from State Farm and Allstate and now they compete with a lizard.

When Doctors and hospitals, teachers and schools, can compete with competence and value. The skies the limit.

And Let us buy our own energy!!!!

• Michelle says:

Also many China things are ridiculously cheap anyway, but in cases like Apple, they can afford to cut their margins to stay competitive instead of hoarding enough money to buy an entire country.

• Do not forget a likely devaluation of the Yuan by China – they have their own credit crisis, by all accounts substantially worse than ours, and their putative “fix” of the Yuan/Dollar exchange rate is going to cause all sorts of problems to them unless there is a substantial devaluation.

Bottom line – things made in China may not be “ridiculously cheap” for much longer!

• LP says:

You are correct. Actually , even with the SOEs (State owned enterprises) wages are rising or have to rise to stave off labour unrest (this means serious threats to the powers that be and threats of a regime change), therefore it will be only a short time before the Fx has to hit the reset. They are not any longer competitive and if Trump goes America First, the Chinese will come to the table. They have no choice.

• daughnworks247 says:

Trump’s courage to resolve the trade problems faced by the USA is the primary reason he has my vote and YES, it’s all about owning the downside and exhibiting leadership on the issue of trade. I do business in China every day and have since 2003. Respectfully, if anyone thinks we are NOT already in trade war, they’re crazy. We ARE in a trade war and we ARE losing. While no dollar amount could ever relieve our Wounded Warrors, the monetary loss is far greater than Iraq/Afghanistan combined.

The underlying problem with China is devaluation of their currency. A “trade war” or threat of trade war, is the proverbial club to get them to the table to resolve the problem with currency. NOTE: The day after Trump announced on June 16th, the Government of China responded with a statement about American trade and being “friendly”. You think China is listening now? The “trade war” is the means to the end. Once parity is acheived on currency valuation, you can bet the mortgage on American workers productivity.

The free trader GOPe and think tanks, lured by their donors’ lobbyists, scream and moan about prices rising at Wal-Mart. Yet, their solution is to allow the evisceration of American manufacturing to continue – “Don’t make waves”. That’s dumb and equals negligent avoidance. A recent study actually promoted the idea: Free trade has a neutral effect on the economy. Their premise: Even if manufacturing jobs are lost to China/Mexico and others, the unemployed, now on entitlements will be able to purchase more and cheaper goods. Think about that for a minute as an over-arching policy for America. It’s disgusting. Nowhere in the thinktank metric are the variables for pride of a job, patriarch of the family, self-worth, tax base of the local municipality, loss of school rating, decline of church contributions, loss of home equity rates, suicide rates. No one discusses the loss to national security readiness for the steel industry and tool and die manufacturing. BUT, you can buy more cheap stuff at Wal-Mart and your college educated children can work at Starbucks.

The free traders also scream about Smoot Hawley causing the Great Depression which is hogwash. Remember, most politicians are trained in law and attorneys know nothing about economics and finance. The 1930 Smoot Hawley act increased the tariff from 47% to 53% and only applied to 1.3% of our GDP at the time. In fact, most economists, from the left and the right, point to the 1/3 retraction in money supply, by the FED, from 1929-1933 as the cause for the Depression ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-fletcher/protectionism-didnt-cause_b_527274.html ). Don’t forget, Trump has an undergrad in economics from Wharton. Trump cut his teeth on these statistics along with the subsequent Securities and Investment Act of 1933. Trump knows.

In summary, excellent businessmen, in which Trump certainly qualifies, MUST develop the ability to look across the horizon and identify “the next big thing” as well as being able to smell trouble and shift resources to protect their company and employees. Businessmen DO OWN THE DOWNSIDE, as Sundance suggests, because they must. Nothing is ever “perfect” except perhaps, the birth of a child. Businessmen evaluate and then act, whereas politicians and attorneys are conditioned to react. It’s an entirely different mindset and probably why so many politicians/attorneys are having such a hard time with Trump. Attorneys do not handle “risk” well, whereas businessmen spend their lifetimes evaluating risk/reward…. with their own money as opposed to taxpayer dollars. This is why successful businessmen LEAD. It’s probably why you see Trump taking calculated risks, setting the agenda, talking about NATO, trade, a pause on Muslim immigration, carried interest, returning education to the states, etc.

It’s time to lead. THAT’s what America does best.

• auscitizenmom says:

Wow. Thanks. That is a lot to digest. (not a complaint) It is very clear that just saying “free trade” is not covering all the details in what is actually going on. And, all this is what Trump understands. It is helpful to be aware of this. 🙂

• shevtsova251 says:

I would like Trump to start to mention also that his plan on income tax is the lowest and simplest, and it will also help both individuals and companies.

I’m certain that I’m not the only one being very unsatisfied by current consumer goods’ quality. Often, a product has to be exchanged because so many are defective, as if there were no quality control. However, with more money in your Pocket, after tax, then you can buy better quality products made in America.

• Bingo. I too have noticed the inferior quality(don’t last long) of many products made-in-China :0

• I buy furniture at consignment shops and have it reapholstered, with new cushions. The old solid wood stuff made in NC is so much better that the cheap China partical board furniture. I call the NC furniture “real Furniture”.

• TedTheImpaler says:

This is because products are not manufactured to last. Companies know the current American consumer will replace their stuff (e.g. TV) in a year or two. The competition is taking place in feature innovation and not in durability. Businesses can’t afford to invest in making more durable products when consumers do not demand durability. If the cost of goods went up, and people could only afford a new TV every 10 years, companies would have to start competing on durability and the quality would have to go up, because who would buy a TV that failed in 2 years in this scenario? People would demand durable products, and a company that built junk would quickly go out of business.

The media never considers the 2nd and 3rd order effects that might be huge positives. We’ve got an enormous advantage over other countries. If costs go up, we would just buy TVs and phones once every 10 years instead of every other year (and the quality would be so much better). We would buy less junk food (nobody would starve but obesity would decline). We would enjoy conversation for entertainment instead of paying $25 for a 2 hour movie ticket, or $100+ for a baseball ticket. In most other countries, a 10% decline in purchasing power would mean lots of people going hungry. We’ve got a lot of slack we can take in on spending here in the USA. I almost think that costs going up would be great for us because we would abandon materialism and get back to the relationship-oriented lives that people had 50-100 years ago. I’ve spent a lot of time living in countries where disposable income is low, and in those places you will find close families, close friends, and great social life.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m worried to see prices go up as much as anyone. It’s difficult to adjust to something new. But I know I can endure some temporary pain to get the country back on track. Can’t we all?

• I can endure some temporary pain, Ted. Trump is right….He will also bring our jobs back. We have been in stagflation for many years now….Look at falling gas prices….some say we have entered a long period of deflation…..Yes….This is because the Bushes, Clinton and Obama have sent many of our jobs out of country. This made no sense at all!

There has been little money–less money chasing MORE goods, and this is the very definition of deflation. Prices got fairly cheap on many items due to this phenomenon.

But when we bring our jobs back, people will once again have money. And that is also the time to utilize “fair” trade in order to achieve free trade……

Trump is on exactly the right course…..things will begin to balance out, it will all come out in the wash and we will once again have a healthy, thriving, economy.

• shevtsova251 says:

Advertising as well as hidden advertising in movies and TV series, have created this desire to get something new and fashionable every season. It’s very pernicious and evil. Donald J Trump as President of the USA will help a majority of people to see this, as already Trump as candidate has unmasked so many evils, and it’s because the people who support Trump are giving him this power. People aspire to good, not to evil. But with evil leaders, people start to forget that good exist.

• Don’t forget waterboarding. Press asks…Are you ok with waterboarding? Yes, and I’d go further than that too!

Haha, the guys the best! That’s why I love him, no gotcha question works because he punches them back and leaves them stunned!

• darcy says:

In addition to “everyone having a job,” there will now be competition among American businesses, driving prices down. Where now we might have two American manufacturers of household lamps, we might have as many as 8 or 10 — in competition with each other, cornering the market and keeping foreign product at a minimum.
      Moreover, when Obamacare gets sent to the trash can of history, employee costs will go down and businesses can grow — both of which make average cost of goods decrease.
      There’s no down side to this equation for the American consumer.

• Dick Albright says:

And NEVER telegraph strategy…or get into the minutiae. Establish a Project Connectivity Matrix (with a set of parameters & trade-offs)…with downstream details TBD…NOT up front! Solve the easy ones first vs biggee and its consequential stalls and loops Always think within the principle of ‘3’..

• wasntme says:

I’d like to see Trump start addressing the minimum wage BS. He should put out a commercial that says he isn’t raising the minimum wage, he’s going to get the economy rolling so you have a job were you don’t make minimum wage. Or something to that effect.

3. WeThePeople2016 says:

I remember that interview with Todd on the plane. Trump was amazing and strong in his responses.

This Article Adds to Trump owning the downside – Hoft references The Conservative Treehouse in it.

CNN Sees Ratings Boost From Presidential Race – Trump-Bashers on FOX Drag Network Down

• Marxist politicians across the anglosphere, as well as the lapdog media, always make the same mistake. When their popularity fails, due to people awakening to their constant lies, the political-media class never blames dishonesty, they always blame “messaging”.

4. Bart Manson ✓ᴺᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰᵃˡᶦˢᵗ says:

Incidentally, this is also why the media loves interviewing him and will let him on their show on a moment’s notice. It’s why they’ll let Trump do phone interviews when they don’t really want other candidates doing them, and why he’s gotten “$2B in free media time” (as his opponents claim).

He answers questions.

They ask a question, he answers it. The answer may be unpopular, not nice, or not what they wanted to hear, but he answered it clearly and without hesitation.

Contrast that with Cruz who ducks and dodges every question like his life depends on it, and you can see why the media would rather interview Trump and give him airtime.

• Riddick says:

Not just Felito, Killary has that same problem avoiding or not answering questions. Which she will face once Trump goes after her on national TV.

• larry outlaw says:

exactly,when cruz is asked a question,he rants on about nothing.which tell me.he don`t know shit about anything.

• Or he goes into how Clinton, Pelosi, Reed, and Trump are the different side of the same coin. I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard him say that. What does that even mean and how is it relevant?

5. NHVoter says:

This is why Trump will win & delusional globalists like Lindsey Graham will be banished to the dustbin of history.

• This guy knows that Trump won’t allow him to continue living off the spoils of interventionism. It is disgusting how many lives have been lost (not just American) by the war hawk policies.

• thehourofdecision says:

McCain, Graham, Cotton, Rep. Kinziger and others promote the “invade the world, invite the world” platform which is so nonsensical. We nation build and spend trillions destroying and destabilizing Middle Eastern countries in the name of spreading democracy, and then we let the millions of foreign Muslims who have been displaced come here as refugees and live on food stamps and cash assistance. Graham speaks about how important national security is while promoting amnesty and open borders which allows millions of unknown people to come here and bring drugs, crime and terrorism. The policy only makes sense for the globalist special interests who want to carve up and plunder the Middle East and have cheap labor at home, not We the People.

• LaVoone says:

No actually Graham the opposite will happen. Trump will employ all forces to protect this nation so the likely hood of another 9-11 happening will be diminished. If Clinton and Bush had been more concerned about protecting the U.S.A., instead of their globalist friends the 1993 and the twin towers would have been prevented.

• kingjulianx says:

Everyone pitch in for my ticket to Washington and I will hit that low life Graham in his tiny balls.

• litlbit2 says:

Wow! Graham missed the Obama/RNC approved nuclear deal with Iran? His is so smart??????

• Another 9/11?

Well, well, well. Does Lindsey Graham have some “advance warning” from his Saudi friends and their ISIS proxies that he would care to share with us now? If not, then perhaps he will enjoy some waterboarding, next to Prince al-Azzwipe, after the fact.

6. Ma'iingankwe says:

Thank you Sundance!
    It reinforces everything I like about Trump! One can’t help but smile at his answers. He is for us not against us. He speaks straight to us, not around us. I really love this guy.

7. M33 says:

Great site. Your research is incredible. Do you get paid or is all for love? Or both? Nice to have a refreshing look at the swamp of BS media both video and web. I appreciate this especially as an independent. Long time I was registered as D to vote in those primaries because I couldnt stand what R was picking, but I recenty deregistered as a D and went to R specifically to vote for Trump. I really liked Carson, but he was out by the time I could vote. I really hope Trump picks him as his VP. I think that ticket would be unbeatable.
    Keep up the great work!

• MfM says:

There is a donate button over to the right.

• Southern Son says:

Welcome to the Treehouse and welcome aboard the Trump Train M33.
      If you just found Sundance, enjoy the ride, and steel yourself to be amazed and astonished at the Sunlight Sundance brings.
      In the end, I believe you will feel as we all do. Sundance does this, because he is a Warrior for the Truth. And because he Is a Patriot.
      There Is No better Anywhere, at what he does.
      There is a donate button for the Refuge.
      Please mash it, when you are Compelled to do so. Welcome again.

8. grainofsalt2 says:

Thanks Sundance for reposting!

9. Empress says:

What a novel, bold, even brash approach to running for office– that of saying it like it is! Trump has turned the conventional paradigm of media and campaign falseness upside down, but the others are too invested in their cowardice, half-truths and outright lies to emulate his honest style.

That said, there might be something to his name which helped mold his character and persona. That which we call a Trump by any other name maybe wouldn’t be as brazen?

10. Troublemaker says:

Paid anti-Trump protester speaks out. Very interesting.

11. Ha.. how true!!! Funny to see it laid out like that.
    Trump is so honest, he isnt lying to me like politicians have been.
    He is going to beat Hillary… she will look like another pandering lyin’ Crooked politician.
    She is boring, Trump is exciting.

• chris says:

..in her attempt to keep up with the far left Bernie in her race, she is providing plenty of ammunition for Trump in the General election. These ‘professional’ politicians have no problem lying today to get todays vote, knowing full well they will have to obfuscate or BS the public tomorrow to get tomorrows vote.. No principles or moral foundation to which to build on and leaves them bankrupt in that dept.
      Go Trump!

12. Greg says:

I’ve thought for quite some time that if Republicans acted more like this the media wouldn’t be so antagonistic as they claim. I DO believe the media like fighters and winners. The Democrats will always put up the strongest fight and never give an inch. So, I think the media actually “respects” this. It’s not so much they are anti-Republican but those politicians looks like weasels. Just look at Cruz this morning evading on and on. NO one who interviews appreciates that tactic. It shows to everyone you really have no principles. What Washington Republicans DO want from the media is “niceness”, “non-confrontation”. Maybe that is why Cruz and those in Washington despise Trump so much.

• Empress says:

Washington Republicans don’t want to rock the yacht.

• thehourofdecision says:

The Democrats defend their base including Communists, BLM and the most anti-American, racist wackos, but the Republicans despise their base and side with the left in attacking it. The Republicans attack their own voter base as xenophobic, nativist, and racist in order to curry favor with, and impress the left. The conservative movement sold us out decades ago.

• I have never really looked at it from that view before. You are right. Those in politics who now call themselves “conservatives” don’t only look like weasels….It is obvious to everyone but them that they ARE weasels…..

• chris says:

jerrydon10… Mitch MCconnel and Co. have done EVERYTHING in their power to PREVENT true Conservatism into their club. Don’t be fooled ! There is NOTHING conservative about Globalism and interventionism. They like to wave the ‘conservative Party ‘ flag a lot and pull at your conservative heart-strings but their record speaks for itself.. anytime I hear one of them mention ‘conservative party’, I immediately see/ recognize a RED FLAGS. ..and yes I label them with a big warning flag. They’ve exposed themselves.. Lindsey Grahams remarks noted in this thread are a perfect example.
        These people are getting desperate.

13. conservativehippie says:

trump is honest because he really is “take it or leave it”. either we back him as he is or we can reject him and he will go home. he has no intention of staying in politics so he has no intention of being a fake.

i am proud that there are enough americans backing trump that he is doing so well. i am so grateful that enough of us are AWAKE and know a good thing when we see it!

14. Joan Sands says:

Bravo, Sundance!

15. The Boss says:

I remember the first time this posted. It is still a treasure. As is Trump. And the Tree House.

16. Notmeagain says:

When Trump (or anyone) “owns the downside,” it generally means they are being honest about things that many people would try to obfuscate or deny. Owning the downside is key to the perception of authenticity, I would imagine, just as deflection decreases trust.

17. yohio says:

I agree with Trump taking money for the general to compete with Hillary, but he held the upside on this issue by saying he is self funding. Hillary will hit him hard by saying if taking money now he’s owned and owes favors. So how does he own the downside of this issue and whatever he says how wouldn’t Hillary be able to say the same thing about taking money?

• LolaLOL says:

He’ll own it some more. Yes, I take money to be for the things Hillary is against. And for the ones who want to give money but are against what I’ve stood for I tell them save or give, I don’t care, but you’re getting nothing.

• EggsX says:

In the Manafort Face the Nation interview, Manafort laid it out. They’ll take the money so the congressional republicans can compete to maintain their majorities.

18. clash108 says:

This piece is my favorite. It absolutely epitomizes why I love Trump.

19. litlbit2 says:

I think it be time going forward when paid thugs or disrupters invade events endangering the folks, provoking violence, creating tremendous burdens on law enforcement officers. The mayors and the governors of the cities and states are failures. They should be impeached, violators charged and jailed and those paying for the violence must be held accountable in a court of law by class actions brought by the folks being denied peaceful access to the venue.

• Greg says:

As an example of that ABC report of the kid getting over 3000 to protest if there were a federal law, since these are essentially federal type events, that the person would upwards of 10 years you would find out in short order who is behind it. Then go after Those in a RICO case. You wouldn’t see riots like there has been.

• daughnworks247 says:

The FIRST time Soros is forced to pay for a broken windshield on a police cruiser – it will stop.

20. Alleycats says:

Actually seeing Trump speak in these interviews, rather than waiting for the news to tell us their version of what Donald Trump said, is when I decided I was all-in. I liked him from day one, wasn’t convinced, but by end of July, early August I knew he was genuine and in it to win it.
    I love that he says, in so many words, yeah? so? I love his brutal honest truth. The resulting ‘splodey heads is a guilty-pleasure bonus.

• SoulMan says:

I was originally a Carson guy and in the past I had called Trump a clown and a joke when it came to politics. However this time something was different. I don’t know if it was me or him but I decided quickly that he was the only one who could fight the machine.
      No other candidate had the money, connections, power or nads to take on the establishment and win . Any other candidate would have been buried 20′ under by now.
      Trump has been like a bulldozer cutting a path through the BS and I love it.

• Alleycats says:

I think it’s largely because we let the media tell us “the version of what was said” because we took for granted they wouldn’t outright lie or makeup stuff, they’re on tv for goodness sakes! Donald Trump made no bones about ripping back the curtain on that mess and saying “you lie, and you KNOW you lie”.

• SoulMan says:

He sure did!
          He really did not have to exposed them because they went batsh!t crazy and ripped off their own masks. Almost daily now another one loses their mind, rips off their mask and runs around naked, pulling their hair and screaming “trump…Trump…TRUMP!!!” .

21. thehourofdecision says:

Sundance, If you get a chance sometime, could you re post that great article about economic nationalism and the contrast in prices for clothing and food items in 1984 vs. today and how restoring our manufacturing base would make us economically stronger and independent again? Another poster and I were just discussing this. It was a great article, and many people in the public are probably being misled about the effects of manufacturing products in the United States vs. China, Vietnam, etc.

22. Michelle says:

Lol.
    “They have to go.”
    “But you’ll split families up!”
    “No, we have to keep the families together, they have to go.”

• marquezula says:

Mr Trump always doubles down

“i’m my own strategist” He is THE BOSS

• mickie says:

Thank you for this! I missed it today.

• TedTheImpaler says:

Starting with his foreign policy speech and continuing through this interview, something seems wrong with Trump’s voice. I think he either has a cold, or he’s been giving so many speeches his voice is getting hoarse. Does anyone else notice that or is it just me?

• TedTheImpaler says:

Regarding Obama’s lame joke about foreign policy, I just find it incredible that nobody points out the obvious: what foreign policy experience did Obama have before he became President?

Living in Indonesia as a young boy.
        A suspicious trip to Pakistan in his youth when one could not travel there with a US passport.

Only a complete hypocrite like Obama could make such a joke, and of course the pathetic media lapped it up as though Obama was some kind of neo-Kissinger before he assumed the presidency.

• JoJo says:

AND, he never cracked a smile. Totally unnerved Chris Wallace. Haha

• dutzie60 says:

Couldn’t finish watching. I can’t stand Wallace.

23. alliwantissometruth says:

For the first time in many decades, we’re hearing honesty come from the mouth of a candidate. After so many decades of dishonest, deceitful rhetoric spewing from their mouths, it’s almost shocking to hear the truth

It’s totally refreshing. It’s like hearing a personal friend talk. Trump speaks like us. He thinks like us. He doesn’t stop to weigh the politically correct implications, or worry about framing his answer to make everyone happy. It’s just the unvarnished truth, & let the pieces fall where they may

This country has gone to hell because the truth has been hidden & replaced with a one size fits all happy speak. The truisms are hidden from sight until their consequences come down on us like a ton of bricks

Anyone who’s against Trumps style is against the truth. Reality needs to be brought to light, it needs to slap us in the face. That’s the only way to see what’s happening & correct what’s wrong

• TedTheImpaler says:

The only people not voting for Donald, on either side of the aisle, are the ones who are still afraid of the truth.

24. Finalage says:

I believe reading this post is when I realized TCTH was a special place. Sundance absolutely nailed it! It is indeed worth reiterating as we turn to the general election campaign.

25. duchess01 says:

The title of this article caught my eye – because of the word ‘formidable’ – and I thought – good word to describe this man, Trump – “inspiring fear or respect through being impressively large, powerful, intense, or capable.” – we don’t have to look further than ‘his own words’ to understand him – he tells it ‘like it is’ – he is honest – a rarity in politics and in my experience, in business as well – he doesn’t mince words or tell you what you want to hear – even though we might think he does since most of us have been wanting to verbalize what Trump says so matter of factly – they have called this man every name in the book and described his demeanor as ‘brash’ – it doesn’t phase him – because he is his own man – people think his ideas/policies are outlandish – and yet, eventually they come to see it his way and at times, agree with him – ask him anything – he has an answer – he doesn’t hem or haw – he is direct and on point – he is a thinker, not just a talker – although his answers might appear to be ‘off the top of his head’ – they are not – he has studied the issue or problem and has formulated a solution – he is logical and straight forward in his thinking – at the same time, he is fascinating and ‘funny’ – never boring – no matter how many times we have heard him ‘on the stump’ at rallies – he rarely delivers the same speech twice – he knows his audience – whether it is a one-on -one interview or a convention hall filled with 35,000 admirers – he speaks directly to each and every one – he stands out in a crowd because he is a leader – a ‘formidable’ leader – one who does not command respect – he gets it naturally – I could go on and on – but you get the idea – needless to say, Trump impresses me – and not many people do – while I might admire what a person has accomplished in his/her life – they don’t move me one way or another – Trump does – I believe he will do what he says he is going to do – because he has already done it – accomplished it in one way or another – what other candidate can you say has achieved what Trump has? None!

26. LANE says:

Folk have a good night :-))) I think this says it all for Ted Cruz and his BFF Glen Beck.

27. Centinel2012 says:

Reblogged this on Centinel2012 and commented:

Owning the Downside puts you in control and that message gets to the voters. The voters the citizens the Vulgarians what someone to make America Great Again. They have a lot of experience with slick talking lawyers that never get anything done and break every promise they are forced to make. We know its unlikely that trump can fix everything but we think he can take a losing team and put it back on track to be number one again in the near future. And Bobby Night agrees and that is good enough for me.

28. huyha123 says:

Best post you wrote Sundance. I will save this to read few more times. Laughing hard through out

29. juliagoolia says:

Thus, he doesn’t let them be issues – he owns them, and says “yeah, so?”

Some of us have been trying to hammer this into the thick skulls of republicans since the Bush administration. They still haven’t figured it out.

30. If I were his kids, I’d be writing The Art of the Campaign now while it’s still fresh in their memories. They should do it while the old man is busy and snag the deal before he knows there even was one. That would make the old man so proud, getting scooped by his own kids !!! 🙂

PS. I would hope Trump works in America and Americans FIRST much more than he has done so far. MAGA is good, but AAAF I think would kill it even more so.

31. wheatietoo says:

Trump is a problem-solver, Sundance.
    His approach to these “downside” questions is one of a problem-solver.

You cannot survive in Business if you are not a problem-solver.
    Problems come at you fast and you have to dispatch them quickly or your business fails.

There are those in the business world who kick their problems down the road…like politicians do…and then sell off their businesses to others who have to deal with those problems.
    These are the worst types in the business world, and they give the term ‘businessman’ (or businesswoman) a bad name.

To succeed in business, you have to anticipate the ‘downside’.
    You have to be able to see what is going to be a problem…and be ready for it.

This is what we’re seeing in Mr. Trump.
    He has already anticipated these ‘downside questions’…and is ready for them.

Well, most of them.
    We have seen him get hit with a few gotcha questions, like the one on abortion…and instead of equivocating and dodging it, he gave a direct answer — he dealt with it.
    People didn’t like his direct answer.
    But it was the right one.

This is what is so extraordinary about Mr. Trump.
    He sees what an enormous job it will be, to turn this country around…to stop this suicidal direction we are headed in…and he is not shying away from it.

I think he will tackle our country’s problems in an efficient, business-like manner.
    This is why I think he will succeed.

32. beaupre03 says:

Yes, Trump talks about owning the downside in Art of the Deal. “When a reporter asks me a tough question, I try to frame a positive answer, even if that means shifting the ground. For example, if someone asks me what negative effects the world’s tallest building might have on the West Side, I turn the tables and talk about how New Yorkers deserve the world’s tallest building, and what a boost it will give the city to have that honor again.”

But as Sundance said, even if Jeb! and Creepy Cruz ever got around to reading the book, they wouldn’t be able to do much with it. Hah!

33. I love Trump’s response about polls. That’s honesty. I talk about it because they’re good, but if they’re bad, I wouldn’t talk about it

• daughnworks247 says:

As he talks about negative ads, when he says, “Well a few of them are a little bit correct”. It’s charming.

34. Drazil says:

always admit to your faults, and own it. it is how i live my life. it means that when i say something people can trust me. they know i am honest. they know i mean what i mean. they know i wont jerk them around. i love that i can see my belief system in trump. i see someone who has a sincerity and a understanding of his actions.

35. Pam says:

Yes, Trump has faults but when he speaks you realize he truly understands the issues our country is facing, and when you look back at the various statements he has made in the past 11 months and see some of the catastrophic consequences from bad foreign policy decisions, our broken economy and immigration system, you see end results that are proving over and over again that Trump has been right all along.

36. Benson II says:

Loved the examples of Trump owning the downside. I remembered hearing or reading most of them and got a big laugh out of them then but seeing them all together was a real laugh fest I’m gonna have to share.