Ted Cruz – The Reality of The Situation…

“Polarizing” is a descriptive term used by a pontificating media to disparage various elements they find antithetical to their own worldview.  Generally, when the term is used it is wrongly assigned. However, in the case of Ted Cruz it’s unfortunately accurate.

When Jason Johnson sits down to discuss his pathway to the nomination with George Will, it says more about Jason Johnson than it does about those who read Will’s opinion of the aforementioned pathway.  What it essentially says is there’s a need to affirm something that isn’t factually supported by any measure of quantifiable empirical evidence.

Ted Cruz Value Voters Summit

However, when you look at the recent CBS survey result (discussed here) what you’ll identify is half of the Ted Cruz supporters themselves state they don’t think he is electable.  Hence, you find the motive for Cruz Campaign Strategist Mr. Jason Johnson to give the outline; fraught with intellectual dishonesty though it may be.

Yes, 10% of the Republican Primary Voters hold ‘most-favorable-status’ opinion of Ted Cruz, yet the number evaporates to 5% when asked “can he win”?  Ergo the Cruz dilemma.

The expressed “Cruz pathway” carries numerous contingencies requiring an electorate to travel with the Cruz team on faith alone.  And yes, that’s an intended double entendre, because faith is the underlying element of the entire campaign.  (Insert first alarm bell here).

david barton 3

There’s more than a passing similarity between Glenn Beck and Ted Cruz.  Indeed, it’s not a mere coincidence that Beck’s Mercury One Charity is Co-Chaired by the same David Barton who heads ‘Keep The Promise’ (KtP), the Ted Cruz Super-PAC.

Strategist Johnson claims (to George Will) the campaign is contingent upon an alignment of disenfranchised white voters from previous elections.  This is not the first time this has been stated:

JULY 2015 […]  Keep the Promise, whose strategy is detailed in a 51-slide PowerPoint presentation titled “Can He Win?” recently posted to the organization’s website, mercilessly attacks 2012 presidential candidate Mitt Romney as unable to elevate “wedge issues,” or divisive issues that polarize voters, to the forefront of the Republican debate. Calling Romney a “terrible candidate with a terrible campaign,” the slides pillory him as a Republican who managed to squander winnable states just like every other “loser” moderate candidate. (link)

However, beyond their dependency on “divisive issues”, what you’ll note is the Cruz Campaign apparatus also relying on Donald Trump’s broad-base coalition to support them in this endeavor.

When you recognize that Trump’s growing coalition is not only every segment of the Republican electorate, but also massive elements of Independents and ‘Conservative Thinking Democrats’ (Blue Dogs), you begin to see why half of Cruz’s supporters accept the impossibility of this dependent “switch”.

It is highly doubtful that Diamond and Silk, would be “Stumping for Cruz”, or anything similar.  It’s actually beyond doubtful, it’s a ridiculous proposition.   Nor would there be thousands of Democrats changing their party affiliation to Republican to support Cruz in the primary elections.

Secondly, when you consider these “white evangelicals” it would appear, statistically and empirically, that candidate Ben Carson holds far more sway than Glenn Beck and Ted Cruz; why is that?

Beyond the ideological flaws inherent in the sales pitch, the reality is that even if, as Ted Cruz himself has stated: “the lions share” of Trump supporters did, for some mysterious and divinely intervened reasoning, switch to Ted Cruz, the road map is still not there.

There’s a reason why the recent CBS survey approached their polling questions with head-to-head match-ups yet excluded Ted Cruz specifically.  It appears to be the same reason why the GOPe media constructs within Park Row allow the narrative of Cruz, as told by Johnson, to remain unblemished.  By not contrasting them, they retain the air of possibility.  There’s a motive inside that retention having nothing to do with Cruz per se’.

It is also entirely appropriate to say that Ted Cruz has done some exceptionally good work on behalf of all conservatives.  Indeed, at least I would argue, his finest hour was walking off stage –amid a chorus of boos from Mid-East Christians– when he refused not to distance himself from supporting Israel.   It was, perhaps, his finest hour.

However, again with the Beck influence, that high moment was followed by marching lock-step with the insufferable Glenn Beck to hand out Soccer Balls and Teddy Bears to illegal alien children.

beck 6

Cruz’s visit timed amid the same weekend when DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson was petitioning congress for an emergency funding bill of $4 Billion for what turned out to be figments of a progressively manufactured globalist imagination.

The preachy schtick is a polarizing strategy, even amid a genuinely compassionate christian audience.  It is also a strategy accepted by a very small portion of the electorate – against national elections, and even within Republican elections.  See the previous presidential bid of Mike Huckabee as one empirical example.

In order to win support of the scope and scale necessary to win a national election, you first have to appeal on a platform supported by a national electorate.

Such a platform does not include revival tents, Glenn Beck, David Barton or the host of other preachy pontificators who operate in the space between a rabid minority group and the rest of the U.S. electorate.

Reverend Franklin Graham Jr well understands that his ability to influence Christianity in a positive way is assisted by a massive number of people, good people, who couldn’t quote you a favorite bible verse.  There’s was a solid reason for a Ronald Reagan / Billy Graham relationship that is virtually identical to the relationship between Donald Trump and Franklin Graham Jr.

Centrism, meaning right-of-centered centrism, is the winning formula to increase influence and bring people together.  Go too far off on the proverbial right and you find yourself amid a small fractured group of like-minded ideologues, ie. the polarized crowd.

This, amid all of the other compass spinning examples, is one reason why half of the Cruz base thinks their own preferred candidate is unelectable.

Unfortunately, once you begin operating in this space between the severely religious noise and the rest of the electorate, you find yourself left with only one option….

…. preach to the choir.

Cue the audio visual demonstration:

beck and cruz

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Donald Trump, Election 2016, media bias, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Ted Cruz. Bookmark the permalink.

141 Responses to Ted Cruz – The Reality of The Situation…

1. “Reverend Franklin Graham Jr well understands that his ability to influence Christianity in a positive way is assisted by a massive number of people, good people, who couldn’t quote you a favorite bible verse. There’s was a solid reason for a Ronald Reagan / Billy Graham relationship that is virtually identical to the relationship between Donald Trump and Franklin Graham Jr.”

Sundance, astute observation and well put!

2. lecombatblog says:

Several people unfollowed me on Twitter because I support Trump. These were “conservative” people. I’m conservative, but see myself as an American first.

Cruz speaks to the choir (conservative base) – Trump speaks to not only them, but to all Americans (blue dog democrats, union people, black, white, Asian, working class, middle class, people who are not political – they all want a great successful America). That’s how you win. Trump is on the path of doing exactly that with the broad support of a broad electorate that goes beyond the conservative choir.

• texasgypsy53 says:

With Sundance’s permission …welcome here.

• ImpeachEmAll says:

The unfollowers have done you the favor of culling.

You are on the correct path in life. Stay the course.

• Ursula says:

I was blocked by @Norsu. He likes Cuz and I want Trump. What a baby!
      His blog is strange he has a nice photo of himself and displays it constantly. Weird.

• Ursula says:

Oh, I forgot to mention he has many followers and trashes Donald Trump, tries to prove Trump is a progressive.

• Rusty abbe says:

You don’t have to try to prove trump is a liberal…. He is one. You people are being fooled by a man who’s entire life has been a fake promotion

• amjean says:

Quit using labels and research the man.

• Rusty Abbe says:

I’ve researched him more than you have….he’s a weather vane. He will turn on his supporters as soon as he’s in office.
              he is better than Hillary or Biden but not by much.

• Betty says:

Liar !
                If Donald Trump is what you say he is where are the lines of people seeking their 5 minutes of fame by telling how Donald Trump screwed them over?

• Sharon says:

Yes, Rusty. We get it: you are on a mission to notify everyone that Trump is an awful person.

30% of your posted comments reflect that.

You’ve made your point.

You are now at the point of diminishing returns.

Even if your fears are valid, Trump’s success (pre-election) will destroy the GOPe/Uniparty which represents 50% of what we want. Please, if you will, name another candidate with whom that potential national benefit is even a tiny possibility.

• RP says:

Exactly Sharon,

Most people don’t get the fact that many of us find Trump to be the most pragmatic and practical weapon of choice to fight back against the globalists and communists.

• Jett Black says:

Rusty, making knee-jerk, opposition talking point assertions with no support or context is strike one. Assuming you’ve researched more than another person you don’t know at all–strike two. Might want to do a whole lot more reading around here, instead of commenting before you take your next swing–just for your own self-improvement.

• amjean says:

You don’t know what I have researched. You are wrong
                and you know it. You are just an anti Trump agitator.
                There are other websites that would welcome your
                point of view; hurry on over there. Perhaps you could
                even get paid a few pennies.

• Rusty abbe says:

I’ve been here a long time and will be here for a lot longer….i love this website. I think we can disagree on a candidate and still listen to each other. All I have to say is research all of his previous positions.

• nyetneetot says:

One reason Trump may appear to be a “weather vane” to you and other people is because he is a entrepreneur, not a politician.

• Notmeagain says:

Meme alert. This one never has any backing to it, and can’t, because it’s just grade school “He’s a goober” talk. Evidential riposte: check Trump’s 1988 interview with Larry King and his appearance on Oprah. Logical riposte (like that works on trolls, hah): Where is the benefit to a man who has already got 100% name recognition to give up his golden palace and beautiful family to put up with constant travel?

• JRD says:

You don’t have to try to prove Cruz is unqualified for POTUS…he has NO EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE.

You people are being fooled by a man who is 0bama 2.0. He does not have the skills to clean up 0bama’s mess.
            Conservatives with common sense know that freshmen senators run for “name recognition” only.

Wild goose chase much?

• lecombatblog says:

Weird indeed. As for followers – you can buy them. Don’t know if he has, but you never know. I’ve also had other conservative Twitter people who support Trump reach out to me & are dumbfounded by other conservatives bashing him.

I wasn’t always conservative. I was a former socialist & voted democrat. I cringe when people say Trump isn’t conservative or that his change is a form of flip-flopper. If I can change, why can’t Trump? I didn’t know you had to be born a conservative or Republican.

This primary has truly revealed the bones on the beach of the political body the GOPe has drowned out at sea.

• Les says:

Trump speaks to fiscal conservatives of all creeds and colors, the honest working people.

You have to differentiate between conservatives, we aren’t all alike. Some folks are religious conservatives (Cruz speaks to these folks), some conservatives are motivated by pure patriotism (these are generally good folks with a few nutbags mixed in that make us all look crazy because nutbags are louder than average people), many just consider themselves more-independent-less-gov’t-take-care-of-yourself fiscal conservatives. These general groupings bleed over, but you can tell a person’s main motivation even if they try to hide it.

I don’t really want anything from Trump, I don’t want some benefit, I just want to keep more of what I make myself so I can take care of my family. I think most people feel the same way I do. We don’t want anything we didn’t earn ourselves and we want a strong military. Maybe I’m simple-minded, but that about sums up my political views.

I’m always wary of one-issue voters (abortion, women’s rights, Obamaphone, health care, etc). Trump seems to be able to corral these people and make them see sense or shame them if they don’t, so good on him.

• Big Picture says:

I agree. Well said!

The beauty of this country is the opportunity to make your dreams come true. Give me freedom, the rule of law, a relatively level playing field, and a half-way decent economy, and I will take care of myself and my loved ones.

For all of recorded history, might made right. This is the first country, and now the oldest government on the planet, that puts power in the hands of the common people, and gives them a chance to create a better life.

The USA is not perfect, but it is the best country I have found!

• Same thing happened to me but guess what I gained more followers because of my tweets about Trump than I lost . I wouldn’t let it bother you standing up for what you believe and whom you believe to be the best for the country is more important than some twitter followers.

3. Rick says:

Sundance I agree with your take on Ted Cruz.

I prefer simplicity so here goes. While I recognize that Ted is smart & calculating, I find him to be a Beta male. Put him and Rubio in a racquetball court and both would injure themselves. He just doesn’t have that kick ass look that would say to me, “we take no prisoners” i.e.. Trump!

When he stands up on a stage and he folds his hands with that sh@t eaten grin, it reminds me of the cat that ate the canary. Nothing dynamic about him. In a cage match, Carly might kick his arse!
    Nice guy but not enough for me to take seriously.

4. Prettyplease says:

Exactly! If we had smell-o-vision, one would be able to smell the snake oil. Cruz is his father’s son n does indeed preach to a very small, receptive audience. I marvel at his weakness of character that allows his appetite for power to overcome his scruples. As a constitutional scholar, he, above all people, knows he is ineligible to be POTUS. Some have claimed that Cuba was/is a protectorate, like Puerto Rico, but that status elapsed in 1902 n was completely relinquished in 1934. Triple citizenship puts Cruz in the same boat as BHO. He’s got to know that, yet he persists. I hope America has learned her lesson after seven disastrous years of the aforementioned person. I am concerned re: Cruz’s smug assertion that Trump won’t get the nomination. I wonder if there is a back room deal to make him the new John McCain 2016 if Bush proves to be doa (devoid of approval). I pray daily for Trump’s safety from human enemies n occult powers.

• Prettyplease says:

BTW, moderators, thank you for the picon. It represents me perfectly n I wouldn’t change a thing.

Your thanks would go to Word Press software: those are assigned automatically. Glad it works for you! -Admin

• stella says:

Cruz was born to a U.S. citizen mother. He is certainly eligible, but he won’t get the nomination, so it is a moot point.

P.S.: He was never a Cuban citizen, and he relinquished his Canadian citizenship when he was aware of it. The Cuban government does not recognize dual citizenship.

• stella says:

The bad thing about Obama is not his citizenship. It is the fact that he spent so many of his formative years in a foreign country, with a foreign stepfather and a Communist mother, and the rest of the time in Hawaii with Communist grandparents. Hawaii may be a state, but it is almost as far from the continental United States in terms of the American way of life as if he was brought up in Samoa.

5. ScruffyLeon says:

Is Ted Cruz even qualified to be our President? I have not heard much from either side on the issue with his Canadian birth. I will not throw support his way until that is a settled issue.

• Prettyplease says:

No, he’s not. Triple citizenship: US, Canadian n Cuban on his dad’s side. See above. Thing is, he’s got to know that. Not very honest.

• Sentient says:

That was both condescending and unconvincing – especially the false assertion that the Supreme Court has weighed in on numerous occasions to define “natural born citizen” as being anyone who has citizenship from birth.

• Burnt Toast says:

The “natural” in “natural born citizen” means in accordance with current law, regulation, executive order, or judicial decree (based upon Podunk IA dog catcher’s opinion).

That is clearly what the Founders intended by “natural”.

• Prettyplease says:

With all due respect to Mr. Levin, his premise is faulty. He’s taken partial truths n sown them together to make up a whole cloth. The founding fathers were aware that this WAS a new nation with foreign nationals who became newly minted US citizens. I am not disputing Cruz American citizenship. I am disputing his eligibility on the grounds of his father’s long standing (until 2005) Cuban citizenship. Which even the founding fathers were against. Go to the State dept website where it warns children (adults) of Cuban citizens traveling to Cuba that Cuba claims sovereignty over them n they can be detained n many other unpleasant things. In my personal view, like good whiskey, which has to age to develop its distinct flavor, I believe it takes time to evolve a distinctly American mindset, at least three generations to be more precise. Again, imho, Nikki Hailey was so quick to dump the Battle Flag bc she is first generation n therefore has no reverence for southern history. It’s not so much about being born an US citizen as allegiance. Look at BHO. Classic example.

• Sentient says:

Even if it were settled, why would you support him? He’d lose the popular vote by 15 pts.

• Sharon says:

You will see by reviewing replies to the linked comment (furtiveadmirer) that we do not willingly entertain conversations (again) about Ted Cruz’ qualifications or lack.

Thank you for your understanding.

The subject has been covered, endlessly.

So – no.

• ray76 says:

Citizenship was granted temporarily by Pub.L. 82–414 § 301(a)(7); 66 Stat. 236.

Citizenship could be retained only upon completion of the actions required by Pub.L. 82–414 § 301(b); 66 Stat. 236.

A natural born citizen does not need to take affirmative action to retain their citizenship nor can they have their citizenship revoked.

• sammyhains says:

Cruz is eligible, yes.
      American citizens can give birth anywhere in the world and their children are automatically citizens by birthright, making them “natural born” citizens.

The only other type of citizen is “naturalized” which means they were not born a citizen, but became one through a legal process. Ted Cruz did not become naturalized, because he did not need to. So we know with absolute certainty that he is a natural born citizen.

Just imagine how stupid it would be if you mom had been on vacation in Tijuana when you popped out and you had to stay in Mexico because you would have been an illegal if she tried to bring you back. That would defy common sense, and yet there are some people who actually believe it.

The problem is some people conflate the natural born citizen clause with birthright citizenship in the 14th Amendment, and believe, incorrectly, that because the 14th says you are a citizen if you are born on US soil, that somehow the Constitution (which was adopted almost 80 years prior) says that if you weren’t born on US soil, then you are not a natural born citizen. But just because one is true, that does not mean the inverse is as well.

• ray76 says:

You would do well to refer to the law. The law is quite clear and contrary to your assertion.

• phil fan says:

Let’s refer to my situation = born in foreign country of American citizens as were 3 of my siblings. Parents filed “Birth of Child Abroad by American Citizens”. Presto we are all natural born citizens. Instant SS #, instant US passports, visas. Never any questions.

So this is in accordance with “The US Law” or do you have other evidence?

6. regedit says:

To me the bottom line is-
    On his way out, is he going to endorse Trump or the RINOS?
    I would say the former and if that is the case -there is no need to antagonize his supporters .
    They will come to our camp naturally

• sammyhains says:

Honestly, I think when it comes down to it Cruz is a coward and he won’t endorse anyone.

That is exactly what he did in the last Senate races when he had the chance to endorse good candidates like Matt Bevin and Chris McDaniel running against RINOs like Mitch McConnell and Thad Cochran.

• Les says:

I understand people preferring Trump, I don’t understand calling Cruz a coward. He has stood alone for us several times when nobody else would even stand up. I remember that and won’t throw him under the bus when I’m done with him…

• Les says:

Ted Cruz legislation (I think the no-limit on political contributions one is hinky FTR)

I don’t agree with him 100%, but who do I agree with ALL the time?

He’s not a coward.

• sammyhains says:

The facts say otherwise.
            Cruz stood down when he had the chance to endorse Matt Bevin and campaign with him against Mitch McConnell.

Ted Cruz has repeatedly shrunk in the face of the GOP Establishment.
            So why do you think he would defy the GOP Establishment and endorse Trump when he drops out?

It would be great if he did, but I don’t have faith that he will, based on past behavior.

He also went along with 0bama on TPA and the Iran deal. Sure, he’s protested against the Iran deal, but only after voting for the Corker bill which gave 0bama authorization and changed it from needing 2/3 of the Senate to ratify it into needing 2/3 of the Senate to stop it from going into effect. The die was cast with that vote, and Cruz knew it.

So why did he go along with TPA and Iran nukes?
            Because the Chamber of Commerce wanted both.
            It’s all about doing business with foreign countries.

Trump is correctly against both TPP and the Iran deal, because he’s not in the back pocket of multi-nationals.

• amjean says:

Cruz’s supporters should first quit antagonizing us.

7. kinthenorthwest says:

I was a BIG Cruz fan until i found out his place of birth.
    The amendment regarding natural birth is quite vague and only the SOS will be able to decipher it. Actually the SOS should have done something about it’s interpretation in 2008 or 2009! .
    Due to the way that the SOS has been acting lately I would not trust them to decipher a legal and truly constitutional ruling upon the natural born citizenship question.
    What I do find interesting is that there are too many birthers now taking another stance on this issue since it involves Cruz. If Obama was actually born in Kenya, then Obama is not really that much different than Cruz’s situation. Both men were born outside of America to American women married to men who where not American citizens.
    If American citizenship is bestowed upon someone by having just one American parent regardless of place of birth, it doesn’t make any sense for Obama and his peoples continual court fights. Its reported that Obama and his people spend several hundred million in the courts. Why would they have done that if it didn’t matter where Obama was born? (Just my two cents on Cruz’s past).

Currently there seems to be something that just doesn’t feel right about Cruz. Some of what Cruz is now spouting is not setting right with me, especially his words in regards to Trump..

• JeremyR says:

SOS, do you mean SCOTUS? The SOS would be John Forgery Kerry aka Ketchup Boy.
      Then again considering how bad the Supreme injustices of the court have been, the traitor probably could not do any worse.

• kinthenorthwest says:

I tried to rephrase the sentence and I think I screwed up big time..
        I will admit that I have heard so many interesting spins on Cruz’s birth. The two that had me laughing the most was that 1)both of Cruz’s parents were Americans and 2) Cruz’s mother was in Canada due to governmental business transfer(both very false).

• Former Lurker says:

Let’s suppose that Sundance is wrong (always an unwise proposition) and Cruz can win the nomination. Let’s also suppose that he really is off the uniparty reservation and not just putting on a show for the rubes, also an unwise proposition.

The current Supreme Court has shown a remarkable ability to read penumbras and intent like haruspices read chicken guts and see what they want to see.

I believe that Cruz is eligible. I also believe that if he’s a true insurgent the Supreme Court would make up a reason to declare him ineligible out of whole cloth if they had to, and they won’t have to. Look at the arguments that some of the other Treepers make, as wrong as you may think they are. The idea that Cruz is ineligible certainly isn’t any more farfetched than the idea that there is a right to homosexual marriage built in to the constitution by the founders.

My personal belief is that Ted Cruz is a brilliant conservative mind that has let ambition compromise his conservative principles in the past, and he regrets it, yet would do the same deed again. Ted Cruz would truly like to operate as a conservative free of the influence of the uniparty oligarchy. That does not make him the man for the task of winning the White House and dismantling the uniparty oligarchy.

The man for that job is Trump and Trump alone. Once Trump cleans out the Augean Stables then Cruz might be able to shine, but without Trump to perform that hard labor he’ll merely get mired in the horse droppings.

• sammyhains says:

It’s not vague. “Natural born” citizens are citizens from birth. “Naturalized” citizens are citizens who went through a legalization process. There are only those two kinds of citizens. Ted Cruz is a citizen, but he is not a naturalized citizen, because he is a citizen from birth, which makes him a natural born citizen.

• kinthenorthwest says:

Strangely Cruz was a Canadian citizen from birth. That is one issue that also shocked me again. How is it that someone so knowledgeable about American and international law didn’t know he was was a citizen of Canada. shocked me! Like I said this is an issue that does need to be tied up by SCOTUS.

• sammyhains says:

I see. So if Mexico decides to make Donald Trump a Mexican citizen, they can disqualify him from the race? We as Americans have given foreign governments veto power over who can be president by way of who they decide to make citizens of their countries?

• kinthenorthwest says:

Sammy Canada didn’t just make Cruz a citizen of their country.
            Cruz was born in Canada, along with his family living in Canada for several years. In fact it appears that Cruz’s parents returned to the states just in time to enroll him into school.

• Les says:

His parents were working in the oil industry when he was born. Many members of the military marry foreign spouses and some have children off-post, especially in countries with socialized medicine (UK, for instance). How is it different?

• kinthenorthwest says:

Difference between being send by the government due to military or other governmental service, then moving your own company across the border.

• Les says:

You have to go to the oil and it was booming in Canada at the time. His mom trained/worked for Shell Oil for years in the US (Shell is a Dutch company). His dad worked for IBM in Houston before he entered the oil industry. His parents also had a business in the US. Both are mathematicians. His dad made Cruz memorize the Constitution. Cruz’s dad is more American than half these hipsters and women-with-underarm-hair running around the US today.

Drive through the Permian Basin on a Sunday and you will see half of the folks who live there are driving somewhere else to get to work in the oil fields, some drive all night and are flown to off-shore rigs. Oil is a global business. I know several geology/tribology/imaging folks who work out of the country as much as they work here.

• kinthenorthwest says:

Like I said this is something that SCOTUS should have tied down more specifically years ago. If nothing else when it became a question with Obama.
            H3LL there are many people who have posted at the Treehouse, that believe that Obama is ineligible due to the fact he might have been born in Kenya. If Obama would be ineligible to be president due to being born in Kenya than that makes Cruz ineligible too.

• gulfbreeze says:

Obama was NOT ineligible to be President if he had been born in Kenya. And all of the people that posted that Obama was ineligible to be POTUS IF he were born in Kenya would be as wrong as those who suggest Cruz is ineligible to be POTUS as he was born in Canada.

All the birthers (Obama and Cruz critics alike) are wrong. Obama and Cruz are natural born citizens by birth from a U.S. citizen parent (not a naturalization process), and not by virtue (or exclusion) of where they were born.

Get over it folks. Both are eligible to be POTUS. There are far more important things to consider and work for in this election, so stop the nonsense arguing about an issue that is settled and will NOT have one bit of effect in November 2016.

• kinthenorthwest says:

gulf–thank you for your learned opinion. You might want to go talk to some Obama advisers & lawyers, for even they agreed in 2008 that if in fact Obama had been born in Kenya he was ineligible.
                Every week there are AP articles of learned scholars and high ranking politicians on both sides of the aisle that have said they will contest Cruz if he makes the ticket.

• Derigitable says:

Even Cruz’s own father was an Obama birther.

• davidfarrar says:

Most “Birthers” understand the issue with Obama and Cruz are exactly the same; neither had U.S. citizen fathers at birth of their offspring. As a consequence, neither were born exclusively under U.S. sovereignty.

8. snaggletooths says:

Like this article well thought out my question is the Cruz supporters if Cruz can not get cross over votes which are needed to win if they believe he is not electable are they still going to vote for him? And why would they when people should get behind the only one that can win. I have never found Cruz to be electable.My theory is lets not take any chances we have a winner Trump lets all get behind him.

• Prettyplease says:

Amen!

• Prothonotary Warbler says:

A lot of them probably just believe in fighting the good fight, against all odds, and… you know, I have to respect that.

I’m a Trump man, myself, but I like Cruz and I can understand why folks would support him.

I just can’t support Cruz for President, myself, because when you get right down to it he would need the GOPe’s support to win. He would have to take money from them, and that money would have strings attached.

I am in a state of rebellion against the GOPe. We have a strong candidate who is clearly despised by them and does not need their money. That goes a long way in my book.

9. Clc says:

At his Dallas speech, trump brought to the stage and recognized Dallas first Baptist pastor Robert jefres. He can probably do more for trump in Texas than Franklin Graham.

10. Rinobasher says:

Relegion has become controversial. And I say that sadly. Too many do not understand the link between a judeo Christian belief system and their individual liberties. You must have both together to work! But given our current cultural/political climate a preachy religious message will not resonate with a broad base. I liked Cruz but his votes on tpa and corker bill left me with suspicion. Conservatives have been burned too many times. Trump is not the sort of conservative I would have liked, but I trust that he’s not looking to sell us something based on lies. That’s a lot more than I can say for anyone else in politics!

11. michellc says:

I like Cruz and I am one of those Trump voters who would vote for him, but I would do so with my eyes wide open that he wouldn’t win. I have been disappointed with him and he has given me reason to not fully trust him and has left me wondering a time or two if he’s not as smart as I thought. The teddy bear thing with Beck was one of those times and him saying he believed/trusted McConnell was another.

• lilbirdee'12 says:

He’s a strong talker when it comes to speaking about our Constitutional rights, but I have always felt uneasy with him. His nervousness makes me nervous. Sometimes it seems he’s trying to convince us of his greatness so that he can believe it too.

12. jackphatz says:

Has Cruz even topped 10% in the polls yet? He’s a very smart man, maybe too smart which hinders his likability. My personal take is he comes off too dramatic and not sincere enough. The Beta aspect is also a minus.

13. Nessie 509 says:

I’m glad somebody wrote this. I’ve never met Senator Cruz but he reminds me of Eddie Haskell. He isn’t electable and neither are all the others including Dr Carson. Donald Trump lights up a lot of voters who’ve not voted in a long time and are Democrats, Republicans and Independents. The president just said Trump isn’t electable. Mr Obsma is aaaaaalways right. NOT!

14. joe_blow says:

Cruz as VP? That’s been the rumor for a while. Trump has never come out against Cruz, and up until the recent interview, Cruz has been very chummy towards Trump. It always seemed to be the case that they had formed an allegiance.

15. conservativehippie says:

he’s a weasel.

16. Lea says:

I just hope Cruz doesn’t turn out to be ‘the guy with the shiv’.

17. jim says:

Sundance, I agree with your analysis that Cruz can’t win. Not even the primary. But, something you wrote bothers me. I would like to know the difference in your definition of moderates and centrists. I am not sure how best to describe Trump, but neither of those terms accurately describes Reagan. What they do describe are the RINOs, and all the horrible ways they plan their losing campaigns. Romney won the independent / middle of the road voter. That didn’t work to make him President. The only thing severe about Romney is how he lied about being something that disgusts him, a conservative.

When you live your life by basic common sense, you are a conservative. To be a liberal, you have to believe in and live by lies. Unfortunately propaganda works quite well to turn people towards the liers. Yet that is where all the centrists are. People who are basically conservative, but who are swayed by the emotionalism and who buy into the shallow lies.

The first lie is a twofer. Liberals are good, caring people, and conservatives are cold hearted, mean spirited and evil. By that definition, centrists are half way between good and evil. Just sheep to be manipulated. But that manipulation takes them away from what they naturally are. It tricks them into doing bad things in the name of good. To try and stand up for good is to be labeled as evil. To believe in what is right is to be discounted as an idealogue.

Reagan was truly conservative by nature. But more importantly he had thought through issues long before he was President. He knew, with heart and soul, that conservatism is right. Right morally. Right logically. Right emotionally. But that was not his gift.

Reagan’s gift was to help us feel good about doing what is right. We could see that he was good. Thus we didn’t listen to the lies that said he wasn’t. And he could clear our eyes of the wool that liberals had pulled over them, to hide that their so called good was actually doing great harm.

Having internalized the reasoning behind conservatism, he could explain it from his heart. That, combined with his gift, helped Reagan unite all but the die hard liberals in doing what is truly good. He could do so because it is most people’s nature.

Without that understanding about people and conservatism, centrism is a gimmick to try to get votes. One that is bound to fail, because it does not understand people’s nature.

With that understanding, the people centered around Reagan, a true conservative.

Besides that, centrists have to keep changing. The pendulum is always swinging side to side. Clinton was a leftist who pretended to be centrist, and was always forced to tack right. Under Obama, the wackos have pushed the country so far left, that centrists have to abandon God and Nature just to keep in the middle.

Whatever he is, Trump has the ability to center the people around him. I hope he has the ability to break through the liberal lies to reach as many people as he can.

• Mark says:

that is an extraordinary piece of analysis there.

• smiley says:

imo, Trump seems to be a populist, and strongly nationalist.
      as opposed to libertarian or GOPe.

• amjean says:

Trump is an American hybrid. He doesn’t fall in to
      a specific political category of liberal or conservative.
      Neither do most of us.

• TwoLaine says:

Personally, I think TRUMP is just a Proud American, like most everyone here, and all of his supporters across this nation.

We’ve had a President and media who says, “You didn’t build that!” One who can’t even build a working website. Who says we should remove any conversation about America being great in schools, and replace it with ObamaCiore mumbo jumbo. We should be weak and lead from our ar$e$. We should apologize and bow down to every other country we have helped defend and rebuild for YEARS. One who has stolen or destroyed our heritage, and almost everything we have ever held sacred in our country. One who is not keeping us safe, his only real and basic duty.

Like every other red-blooded American, TRUMP says, “The H3LL with that! WE Did Build It, and WE Will Make America Great Again!”

Most Americans, having built this country at least once already, are going to follow the American, the uber successful builder, regardless of what labels anyone slaps on him. He’s proven he can create solid works of art, budget, bring projects in on time and before deadline, lead people, create jobs, and build wealth. And not just for himself and his family. For many others too.

He’s not parading around preaching about giving out free stuff. He’s saying if WE all work hard, and are accountable for our own actions, WE Can Make America Great Again! And that includes the media. He holds them accountable too.

Americans who have been, and are the builders of America (and many other countries), know this is true, and we are 100% on board with him for the job ahead. It will be a long fight, but in the end, it will be all of the Americans standing proud, ready to go to work again, shoulder to shoulder, with our American President TRUMP.

• daughnworks247 says:

Both Reagan and Trump are old-line Presbyterians. Me too.
      This explains Trump’s hard right, “light of a thousand suns” hard right, stance on fiscal responsibility.
      It explains his “use truth in an argument because a lie is too hard to keep up with and wastes time”.
      It explains his “whether dining with a governor or eating a hot dog over the hood of a pick-up truck, be comfortable in both situations” treat everyone the same and learn from all people. Everyone has a special gift, when learned, makes you better.
      It explains the overwhelming duty/obligation to be a “benevolent leader”.

18. Arkindole says:

The problem with Cruz is that he has not “accomplished” anything to the electorate–they see him as having lots of chances to do that. I posted an orthogonal analysis a day ago about the three dimensions the electorate headspace is mostly operating in. If you map Cruz on that diagram he is moderately an outsider-check. He is moderately aggressive-check. He has not accomplished anything to the people-unchecked. That places him in the “basement” area of the map with the rest of the 5%ers.

Gives a good talk, but that’s it. That’s not cutting it with the folks.

Not sure I buy the “centrist to the right” statement above, but I’m still working on that (not sure I understand the full meaning).

19. stringy theory says:

This is a great article, well written and right to the point. Like a race car diver hoping to pass the guy in front, Cruz has been drafting Trump, but now that he’s pulled out in an attempt to pass, it’s clear his engine is not up to the task–Trump is lapping the field. Go Trump!

• smiley says:

“drafting”.

perfect analogy.
      Trump has so much surging momentum…and has from the start…that without his “draft”, his competitors simply drift, mistakenly assuming they can gain their own momentum, not only to keep up with Trump but also to surpass him.
      imo, there’s a sense of “destiny” in Trump’s successful campaigning.
      Cruz…not so much.

• TwoLaine says:

Agreed. Perfect analogy. Great Stringy Theory!

• stringy theory says:

Trump is definitely driving with his Cruz control on.

• parteagirl says:

I like the term “draft” too. The reason geese fly in a “V” pattern is so that the point goose can break the wind and create a draft for those behind him. When the head goose gets tired, they rotate, all taking turns. It’s a great analogy for leadership and the importance of delegating and taking some time off to rest.

Trump is definitely breaking the head winds as the leader of the pack during the primary season. But, God willing, once he’s POTUS, those behind him will be “the best and brightest talent,” like what we’ve watch Trump surround himself with over the years. I smile thinking about what kind of dream team he would put in his cabinet!

20. talkaftercarefulthought says:

still leery of Trump being the head fake with the media holding something back to torpedo his electability once he wins the primary. I guess I’m gun shy after McCain, Dole and Romney… on a funny note I had to listen to my son spout what college has put into him, as he plans to vote for Sanders.. he said “it’s not fair that people get rich while other people are poor” I’m always outnumbered by my STL family (regarding politics) so I remove myself from these discussions when they happen. However it was interesting to see my kids hands at 6 and 12 representing the income inequality. I knew college would drag him off the fence in one way or another.

• amjean says:

This is what I showed my grandchildren:
      I put ten $10.00 bills on the table. I took out four for taxes, one for housing,
      one for health insurance, one for food, one for utilities, one for auto expenses
      and the one remaining bill for miscellaneous expenses.

Then I took the four bills for taxes and told them how it was being spent.
      They were very angry when they found out that it was their money that
      was going to illegals, refugees, stupid wars, etc. I told them that if the
      government wasn’t misspending our money; if illegals and muslims were
      not coming in by the millions and living off our tax dollars, they could
      give the government only $20.00 and keep the other $20.00 for themselves.

I also showed them the phone, electric and cable bills and all the taxes
      applied.

At ten and eleven years old they realized that they were conservative
      after all!

• smiley says:

excellent, amjean !

they will never forget that illustration b/c mere talk (lecture) is cheap and easily forgotten.
        and you didn’t patronize them, either.
        kids..young people..children….they respect “how” we teach them just as much as “what” we tell them.

good job.

• Les says:

Research first to see how much of your dollar REALLY goes to taxes, housing, etc. She’d be better off doing it with pennies, can’t really separate it into tenths. Most of the major entitlement is going to seniors and SSDI and Medicaid/Medicare. That is about HALF of the federal budget (don’t want your grandkids resenting old people). Defense spending (“stupid wars” spits on every family who has lost someone, FYI, won’t get into that) was less than 20% last year, much of it spent on maintaining our military HERE. We might need them someday. It would be bad to need them and not have them.

I believe in educating our young, but I like to be precise and not give wrong information. Once you teach something, it is hard to un-teach it.

The bigger idea to me is less than half of us even pay federal income taxes. Those who DO get stuck paying taxes only pay tax on the first $100,000 or so. That means the guy making $35,000 is paying taxes on ALL of his income while the guy making $2,000,000 is only paying taxes on a small portion of his income. I don’t like to have my hand in anybody else’s wallet, but I think we should just flat tax everybody or luxury tax everybody. If you don’t have the money for the tax, don’t buy it.

Maybe the next generation will figure out that everybody needs to contribute something.

• gulfbreeze says:

“Those who DO get stuck paying taxes only pay tax on the first $100,000 or so. That means the guy making $35,000 is paying taxes on ALL of his income while the guy making $2,000,000 is only paying taxes on a small portion of his income.”

This is demonstrably false. See here:

“According to the Journal, taxpayers with income over $100,000 a year earn 60 percent of the nation’s income and pay 95.2 percent of the income taxes in the United States. If we consider all federal taxes paid (income, payroll, and excise taxes), those making over $100,000 (a little over 20 percent of taxpayers) pay for 75.7 percent of total federal taxes (this excludes the burden on corporate and investment taxes).”

• daughnworks247 says:

Good one!!!

21. Les says:

How does Beck not fall over?

22. TwoLaine says:

Very soon after Sundance posted the 1st in this “Ted Cruz Reality” series, I got a request from the Cruz campaign to complete a survey on my “issues”, so he can prioritize and solidify his campaign platform.

“I’m counting on you and the other intelligent conservatives to which I’ve sent this survey. I’m testing the waters, and I want to know what you think. Real voters want to see their candidates take hard positions that matter.

Will you help me prioritize my platform?

After you’ve completed your Official 2015 Presidential Platform Survey will you please make an urgent contribution of $35, $50, or $250?”

That isn’t all it said, but it tells me he can be bought, and his platform will go whatever way the wind blows.

Sorry Ted. Big fail. You are obviously not listening to real Americans. We’ve repeatedly told all of you what we want. No need to spend big bucks to find out, so you can “prioritize your platform”. Big fail!

BTW, does anyone else find it ironic that we have candidates competing for who is the most conservative, while the conservative Freedom Caucus and all other conservative Americans are constantly under attack, and being bashed?

23. Angela Dierschke says:

Okay, I have a serious inquiry:
    I live in Texas. I have been extremely proud to have Ted Cruz as a senator, as he is one of a very few who actually does what his constituents want him to do, and is willing to be personally bashed for it. (Unlike our other loser senator, John Cornyn, who cares only about his own ambitions.)

For the March 1st primary, I truly believe that Trump will garner the majority of the votes (which is fine with me), but since we have a proportional delegate division, would it be in our (conservatives) best interest to give my vote to Cruz? We want to dilute the Bush vote by strengthening a solid conservative top three. What if something were to happen to force Trump out of the race? Wouldn’t we want the best back-up quarterback? I just worry that if I just vote Trump, it wouldn’t make a difference because I think he already has the top spot sewn up. Do you think we need a “Survivor”-split strategy?

• SharonKinDC says:

No. The bigger the portion Trump wins, the more delegates he gets in a primary awarding proportional delegates. The goal is to have enough delegates by the convention there is no need for horse-trading.

24. amjean says:

I would make two lists. On the first, I would write down
    all the things you think Cruz has done; all action items
    with results. On the second list, I would put all the
    action items that Trump has accomplished. Compare
    the two and therein lies your decision on whom would
    be the better president.

25. I don’t get the animus toward Cruz from this site, not for nothing but when I worked for the Reagan campaign, no one thought he could win in the primaries, never mind the general. None the less, we did the work, stuffed the envelopes, knocked on doors and talked to everyone we could. Mind you in the general, I did the same for Bush 1 and Bob Dole despite who I worked for in the primaries.

Sure I love the fact Trump has people fired up and has people engaged but when you start looking at the reality behind his support a huge percentage of those folks are non voters or are currently ineligible to vote. As I said I love that he’s shaking things up, but please people, stop with the inference that he is any kind of conservative anything or compare his conservative credentials to anyone except for, weekend at Bernies socialist camp Sanders.

***PS, Mark Levin is in fact a constitutional scholar and legal expert, please stop embarrassing yourselves with the trite, you know better, “stuff”. Lots of people like me love to come here for much of Sundances insightful commentary and research but reading some of the less than well thought out punditry by commenters is beneath the usual discourse.

PPS, There was another fellow who tapped into a somewhat similar anger and disgust a while back, a good deal of his supporters either sat out the general election or cast protest votes He gave us eight years of Bill Clinton and what feels like hundreds of years of Hillary Clinton, look him up, Ross Perot. I pray that doesn’t happen again in my lifetime. I’m not saying Trump=Perot but I knew many of his supporters and far too many Trump supporters here and elsewhere sound alike.

26. stringy theory says:

“but when you start looking at the reality behind his support a huge percentage of those folks are non voters or are currently ineligible to vote.”

Hey Andy, I’ve heard this old trope before and it ain’t true. Cruz is currently in single digits in almost every poll yet he says he will be the nominee and most of Trump’s support will move to him. Now that bit of pompous talk, coupled with Ted’s votes in the Senate, and the Teddy Bear spectacle at the border with Beck, has shown most of those who formally liked him that he’s not the guy. He’s a splitter, that’s it.

27. chili palmer says:

Ted Cruz has zero chance of getting Trump voters Diamond and Silk. As of 10/12/15, the sisters have checked in with, “Donald Trump still leads while others try to cruise off of his success.” The sisters aren’t happy with Ted Cruz (aka, someone trying to “cruise” off Trump’s success) and his statement that Trump won’t be the nominee.

28. Pope Urban II says:

All credibility is lost with this piece of worthless drivel and its comments. Support Trump if you will, but Cruz is the only one in the field with blood on his hands and a long history of fighting liberals in both parties while Trump was giving money to Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi implementing emminent domain, and supporting left wing causes. As a Cruz supporter with Trump and Carson tied at #2 on my list, this crap makes me a lot more likely to vote for Carson than Trump.

• It’s the primaries, people get passionate and that’s good and overall IMO a positive. My take on Trump is that he brings his take no prisoners approach to this often boring and tedious political process. Sure it turns off some people but for now it’s bringing eyes and bodies out from their homes and busy lives because he’s saying the things we all frequently think but can only say in private. Yes some is plain stupid and cringeworthy but we all know “stuff” happens and Trump is getting a little better with handling it.

Having said all that, yes I’m a happy Cruz supporter, just as last go round, gasp, I was a Rudy supporter, sure he’s very liberal on some issues, but those issues were ones that a president should have little ability (yes, Obama changed that equation) to impact, aside from bully pulpit influence. I supported Rudy because he fights. I support Cruz because he fights and I think lots of folks like Trump because he fights. Does he have the rock solid foundation and history of fighting for causes near and dear to me? No, but at least he gets in the ring, something I just don’t see the Jebster ever doing. Mind you, this was my main issue with president George W Bush, yes he fought like hell against the “evil doers” abroad, but he didn’t fight the evil incarnate here at home, the evil democrat party and their spokesmen, the media industrial complex. Yea Trump seems pathetically thin skinned at times, reacting to the smallest of slights from nobody’s and somebody’s alike, but hey, he fights.

I think it’s going to be an interesting primary, Cruz, has and is, working the process to win the thing, he has one of the most solid on the ground organizations, great fundraising and as mentioned above, disparagingly tho, online sophisticated approach of anyone. Time will tell.

• Pope Urban II says:

I agree and I also like Trump because he fights and he is right on some issues. That is why I am open to vote for him over the others if Cruz never gains traction. I don’t see, however, why his supporters feel the need to bash Cruz in the process. Cruz has had the same enemies as Trump and has had them for a lot longer. Who are they going to support if Trump flames out? Rubio?

• I’m going to guess I’m more “experienced” (read older), than many of the most “passionate” here, I’ve been involved in many hundreds, even thousands, of campaigns, personally and or professionally, since my youth. Hell, I started off as a child walking the streets of Brooklyn NY, handing out flyers and using a bamboo pole with a hook attached to tear down opposition campaign posters off street lights and such, my own neighborhood beautification program, not a political thing mind you ( I also have a bridge for sale if you believe that one ), but be that as it may, it’s passions that’s the issue I believe.

I learned decades ago that pretty much everyone is capable of pointing out what’s wrong, what doesn’t work or things that are crappy, very few that can do that and then propose an alternate that’s workable and finally those very rare people capable of doing those both and then formulating and articulating a plan to achieve that alternate in a way to get people to not only buy in, but to work for that solution. Barry Goldwater was wonderful, brilliant, articulate and so much more, but it was Reagan that fulfilled the promise of Goldwater because of his ability to gather the army behind him to enact change. I videotaped many of Reagans talks with the American people (still have them), times where he asked that army to engage and makes calls or seek out their representatives to help him achieve those goals for the American people, and it often worked. For some reason those calls to action are rarely if ever mentioned but in my mind it was one of the major driving forces for change during his presidency.

Ok well it may seem I’ve wandered far astray but it all sort of fits in to the whole passion thing in a way, Trump is lighting a fire and building an army, getting people worked up, you see it here to some extent and while he’s clearly not a Reagan figure in any way, esp in terms of politics or policy, he, is, building an army that I hope he uses to destroy the GOPe that Sundance has so painstakingly detailed. Should he fail, or choose not to, I sincerely hope enough of that army, or maybe an even larger army, follows Cruz in that mission. A mission he’s devoted himself to in the US Senate. While clearly being much younger and hence inexperienced at the army building thing, I see his potential, obvious intellect and much more subtle, so far, cunning.

It’s my hope that after eight years as president, he (Cruz) appoints himself to the Supreme Court, why not right? Obama has changed the bounds of presidential powers and I’m not so faint hearted that I won’t object to a president on our side being as much of an a-hole as Oblamey has.

29. Question for moderators, while I’ve visited for some time and only now begun commenting, I don’t recall ever reading what creates the condition for a comment to go into an awaiting moderation(?) condition.

Thanks in advance.

ATG

30. FireAm 85 says:

Cruz will bleed some support from Carson and lower tier candidates, creating a nice buffer for Trump. In the new CBS poll, there may be an indication of that happening now.

When the time is right, Trump will drop the hammer about all the other candidates supporting Amnesty and wanting to increase all types of work visas, hence injuring American workers. Not to mention, being incredibly hawkish about Syria and having Roveinc. controlling their every move. Once that happens and is repeated persistently, Trumps support will only grow from the defections.

Equating Perot to Trump, is just a weak talking point I dismiss as quickly as the poster writing it.
    Cruz is tainted and will never ever win the Primary. If by happenstance it does occur, the shellacking he will receive in the General Election will make Mccain look like a rock star. He has no chance.

Trump wins, America wins. Trump loses, sadly short of something drastic, it is all but over for America.

• I think you inadvertently made my point exactly. I didn’t equate Trump to Perot, I specifically expressed that, it’s some of the Trump supporters that sound just like the Perot people. Dismiss me or not, I was there.