The Big 21…

(Via PJ Media) There are some weeks when you know it’s the 21st century not because the last seven days are markedly different from its immediate predecessor, but that a confluence of stories news stories emphasize how different the problems — and the opportunities — of the current age have become.

Think about it.

2001 SPACE ODYSEY

A major league baseball game played to an empty stadium, but most of the audience could still watch it. An American billionaire space entrepreneur has launched a tourist spacecraft from a Texas spaceport to compete with the one in development from a California spaceport. A probe is nearing Pluto, the last of the “classic nine” planets to be visited. Then it will be on its way to the Kuiper Belt objects beyond Pluto.

Another American space billionaire has announced consumer energy storage device that promises a limited amount of independence from the grid. Microsoft has launched an augmented reality product that will superimpose holographic images on the “real world”. Robots are now commonplace. Perhaps most fascinating of all, a research group at NASA claims it has asserted that propellantless drive works — although very serious questions remain over whether the results are a false positive or even fraudulent. However if it’s real then the articles point out that we will be able to travel to other planets in weeks, rather than years.

But here to remind us there’s another side to the 21st century are demands by Muslims for a “right of return” to Spain, because their medieval ancestors were unlawfully dispossessed.

The Atlantic says studies show that the millenial generation will be relatively childless, saying that “today’s twentysomethings have a lower birthrate than any previous generation. … For Hispanic and black women, the majority of the fertility decline was explained by falling birth rates among unmarried women. … For white women, though, the story was very different: ’81 percent of the decrease in fertility is attributable to declining marriage rates.’”

In Baltimore, employment is as low as the murder rate is high. Not a single Fortune 500 company is headquartered there. If the 21st century is here, they haven’t gotten the word.

It seems as Dickens put it, “the worst of times and the best of times”. A time of divergence. A moment when people are going backward while some are looking forward. (continue reading)

Utopia

….just sayin’

This entry was posted in Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to The Big 21…

1. Stephen says:

And now those whose abilities and inclinations are to go forward are thwarted by those who are backward by nature and proud of it.

2. cohibadad says:

The world is on the brink of a paradigm shift, but the transition is extremely painful, and most of the world is clinging to the past hoping to avoid the future in which their place is at best uncertain, and at worst simply missing.

• Jett Black says:

I don’t think we’re on the brink of a paradigm shift–we’re on the brink of being forced to recognize the truth that history and basic, objective science has been telling us for a long time: We hominids are strains of a virus on the face of this planet and must find a way to live symbiotically with each other and the resources available, or accept mass extinction events as continuing aspects of our future. These events may not be instantaneous, but famines in Africa and parts of Asia, as well as genocides perpetrated by certain groups have happened on varying scales throughout history and are happening today.

3. wenfei says:

Probably the most terrifying example of people stuck in the caveman days are those women who insist on writing out a check for a $1 item in the checkout line, usually not even digging through their purse to find their checkbook until the last moment. Also those who dig through their purse to get every last loose coin to pay for their purchase often taking 5 minutes. These are the ones holding civilization back.

• barbi says:

Not to seem as if I’m a feminista (I’m not), but swear, the only people that hold up a grocery line are male–they never know their pin number, the rarely know how to operate the debit/credit sign in, and the few who do write a check are senior citizens who have the checkbook in their back pants pocket and can’t seem to pull it out.

Seriously, I am a notorious grocery goer–I like to get fresh produce and the store is but five minutes from my house and I can say that I haven’t seen a female at my SaveMart check-out stand write a check in years. About once or twice a month I go to another stor, Raley’s, and the same holds there.

• joanfoster says:

Haha, you have probably insulted half the women on this board. How about the men who stop the women in the grocery store because they can’t find the mustard, bathroom paper or perhaps their rear end with both hands. They take up a lot of time as well. Sometimes, I leave my cart in the aisle (oops) to go and help them find their item of choice. They are always grateful for the hand holding.

• Sharon says:

I suspect with his gift for unthinking generalization he routinely insults half the women in his life; he doesn’t know us well so his barbs are both poorly sourced and poorly aimed.

• doodahdaze says:

Just because we can’t find the mustard is no excuse.

• doodahdaze says:

If I go to the grocery store I look for the checkout line with the men in it. They should have male and female checkout lines so the men don’t have to waste half their day waiting. Men spend so much time waiting for the wimmen. We could be fishin, golfing, or doing some other productive activity.

• Monroe says:

Men slow down the line with their beer purchases that require a DL check.

• Monroe says:

“We could be fishin, golfing, or doing some other productive activity.”

If it weren’t for women, men wouldn’t live as long. Thus men have more time available for fishing because of women.

• ImpeachEmAll says:

Yes, ma’am.

It’s much appreciated.

Just don’t report me as a stocker. 😉

• 2x4x8 says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      you be in hot water

• stella says:

I would bet that 99.9% of women don’t write checks for groceries, or pay cash. They use debit and credit cards. Most women are pro grocery shoppers who want to get out of there as quickly as possible. How often do you shop for groceries?

• doodahdaze says:

You can still see them at the grocery store arguing about a dime. They also drive slow in the fast lane….creepers. On the Interstate you see them travel in “packs.” Blocking out the good drivers. At stop signs they look both ways then pull right out in front of you. On country roads they are always there going 45 in a 55 when it is no passing.

4. Be Ge says:

As said by Borat Sogdiev, there were good times, bad times and sh…y times. Mostly, there were sh…y times.

In reality, all of the progress does not matter, as long as the majority of humanity remains mentally enslaved to the unholy trinity of leftyism, which is all about taking something from one group (“oppressors”) and distributing it amidst some other group (“oppressed”) for fun and profit. The first pillar of that faith aka destructive meme is called communism/progressive socialism. These moonbats are all about “protecting” the oppressed proletariat / lumpenproletariat from “the evil corporations”, “the one percent”, “slavemasters” and so on. Then there are “environmentalists, who are for huge depopulation of earth for the sake of “protecting” the environment from “overconsumers”, “GMO”, “emiSSions”, “the one percent”, “evil corporations”, “evil engineers and scientists”, and so on. Finally, the feminist moonbats are protecting women from tyranny of 3+ billion penis-wielding chauvinist oppressors aka men.
    The worst kinds religious craze is really next to nothing compared to the evil of leftyism.

• Monroe says:

“These moonbats are all about “protecting” the oppressed proletariat…..”

Wait until they become the oppressed. Who will stand up for them?

• Be Ge says:

Read Lenin, once in a while 🙂 The revolution (or results of left-winged evolution, as of the 21st century, that’s a more probable scenario — as envisioned by the Fabians shortly after Karl Marx and co came up with the Manifesto in the middle of the 19th century) is only worth something if it can defend itself. The ultimate goal of the commies is not the paradise on earth they preach “externally” — which is a nice try but an unrealistic one, given the nature of human beings, energy conservation laws and the level of technology in any foreseeable future — but rather a “just society” with a “hegemony of proletariat”. That, according to Lenin, means an elite-managed political regime which is, “immediately based on violence in a form unabridged and unlimited by any right, law or regulation whatsoever”. There is no plan B. The commies eventually plan on violent suppression any opposition. Otherwise they are bad commies — esp. if they allow themselves being oppressed.

• Monroe says:

A warning that should not be forgotten:

‘“First they came ….” is a famous statement and provocative poem written by Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the cowardice of German intellectuals following the Nazis’ rise to power and the subsequent purging of their chosen targets, group after group.’

“His statement, is a popular model for describing the dangers of political apathy”

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
      Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
      Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
      Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Substitute using Christians, Jews, Tea Party, Repubs,Police, white males….

This is why I speak out. If someone has the capacity to hurt one group, they will not stop.

I paid a high price for speaking for those who had no voice. I can’t do it anymore.

• ImpeachEmAll says:

Monroe blames the tomatoes.

5. 2x4x8 says:

Charles Dickens: Tale of Two Cultures

6. Les says:

I’m distressed Under Armour is based in Baltimore. Not that part of Baltimore, but still.

People are really, really dumb nowadays. And intellectually lazy. Even these brilliant hipsters we keep hearing about are pretty dumb. It drives me nuts. I shake my head most days. Every now and then I run into motivated individuals who make my life worthwhile. I keep on keepin’ on for them. Entitlement is out of control in young people of all colors. If you don’t work with the public, rejoice.

• Monroe says:

“People are really, really dumb nowadays.”

One aspect is that the smart, hardworking, good work ethic, and accepting of others people are silenced. If they exhibit the above traits they are harassed and fired; they have to hide. Thus only the dumb are noticeable and rise to power.

How does one fight corruption when it is not in their nature; corruption is a new language that older generations don’t know/speak.

• doodahdaze says:

Baltimore is the perfect civil rights, social justice Utopia. They want to expand the Utopia to the rest of the country. Liberals think it is just right.

7. You brought me on a boat and enslaved us now you have to support us and give us money. Where did this delusional shipwrecked fool come from I have a paddle boat and you can have it sail away you african sail away safe travels.

• ImpeachEmAll says:

Too Funny!

Someone forgot the part about the warring tribe that conquered their tribe.
      Rather than kill all; those of abled body were sold or traded to the slavers.
      Their gene pool exists today because of slavery; where ever their ancestors
      may have been relocated and survived to reproduce another generation.

Wonder if this is taught during black history month?

8. bob e says:

this blog was very funny ..doodah, you are truly insane. all of the women here are very cool.
    love being with you all

9. Irene Matthews says:

I’m going way out on a limb here. Not in my thinking, but in my putting it in writing. I believe that the overwhelming majority of individuals with a high iq, or high motivation, or maybe even just high moral principals have left the inner cities long ago and the ones that are left are mating and reproducing an ever declining species. There, I said it.

10. Dixie says:

That Utopia picture keeps cropping up like a bad dream. Unfortunately, I am fascinated by it because I actually see the scene by the river of progressive sewage as peaceful but I don’t think that’s what it is intended to represent.

The science fiction city looks mean spirited and dictatorial, but the village looks quiet and peaceful. How do you see it?

• wondering999 says:

Same way. I like the village better.

…. Yesterday I was at someone’s home, and an Oprah show was on, “Where are They Now?” There were interviews with people who either still belonged to the Warren Jeffs fundamentalist LDS cult, or who had left the cult after discovering that the leader was corrupt (he’s in prison now, but apparently still running his cult from prison).
      One young girl (whose mother had fled the cult years ago) had returned to the Jeffs commune because she preferred their lifestyle: early marriage, lots of farming, building and agricultural work, while “play” was seen as idleness and frowned upon. It’s a very productive rural group at their ranch. They make their own clothing and have a pantry full of homegrown canned foods. The view of that well-stocked pantry and the gardens was what hooked my sympathy as a viewer.
      I don’t approve of excessively young marriages or pedophile cult leaders of any stripe. However. while watching, I realized that I liked a lot what I saw of the Jeffs ranch. Everything looked clean, tidy, industrious. The children seemed capable and happy.
      I write this at risk of being pegged as some kind of fundamentalist Mormon (farthest thing from my real life). That group wouldn’t welcome or put up with me for very long, pretty sure — I don’t work well in herds of any type, and have a dissenter reflex a mile wide. But I liked the aesthetics and SOME of the old-fashioned practices of this group, harking back to my Grandma’s era. I know she had a hard life — but she still lived WELL on many levels, and some of my happiest memories are hours as a preschooler, circling her while she worked in her garden, cooked or hosted her lady’s circle groups. There’s a lot of supposedly desirable consumer trash that I don’t need or want on any level — and that I associate with the sewage outlets on that artwork at the thread top.

• Jett Black says:

I think you’re conflating values and stuff. What you miss from life with your Grandmother (sounds like ours were similar–mine had scars and callouses that never went away from picking cotton as a young girl) are her values, just as the values of personal and family responsibility, spirituality, simplicity, and industry in the purged Warren Jeffs community are attractive. The outward signs of those values, such as cleanliness, order, sufficient, but not opulent possessions are evident, but it is the underlying values that are the raison d’être.

It’s also easy to see how divergences from those values manifest–no responsibility, indolence, objectification=poverty, filth, hedonism/fatalism; authoritarianism, slavery, objectification=vast chasms between haves and have-nots, filth for many, perfection for a few, hedonism/fatalism. Pretty easy to see where the Progs fall in those categories and why. The utopian city in the illustration could be a community of fine, responsible people achieving amazing things. Or it could be the authoritarian surface scum thriving on a substructure that sucks the productive into an ever more rotten compost pile, like the federal goobermint and many cities in the USA have become.