While the two shooting events are separated by two and a half years, Trayvon (Feb 2012) Mike Brown (Aug 2014) the similarities are quite remarkable. One of the key aspects that aligns both narratives is the appearance of the attorney for both families Benjamin Crump. The second key aspect is the way the media portray both events.
Here’s some of the similarities:
• The age of both was originally misreported. Trayvon was 13, then 15, then 16 and eventually 17. Mike Brown was 17 in most original reports, and then eventually 18.
• Both Mike Brown and Trayvon Martin were at a convenience store immediately before the shooting.
• Both Mike Brown and Trayvon Martin were legally represented by attorney Benjamin Crump, from the Law Firm of Parks and Crump.
• For both shootings Benjamin Crump enlisted the assistance of MSNBC and Al Sharpton.
• Al Sharpton enlisted the AME church network, and Jamal Bryant in both shootings.
• Benjamin Crump and Al Sharpton called for the NAACP’s assistance.
• The New Black Panther Party involved themselves in both shootings.
• The congressional Black Caucus involved themselves in both shootings.
• Neither Brown nor Martin lived in the neighborhood where they were staying. Martin was from Miami Gardens (shot in Sanford), and Brown did not live in Ferguson.
• Brown was staying with his Grandmother, Martin was staying with his dad’s girlfriend.
• In Both cases the media use the catch phrase “unarmed teenager”.
• The media called both “a child”, and a “minor child”.
• Both Brown and Martin families refused to help local police officers and demanded federal intervention.
• Eric Holder used the FBI and the Civil Rights Division “Community Relations Service” (CRS) in both cases.
• The CRS enlisted the Dream Defenders in both cases.
• Benjamin Crump, initially, would not allow witnesses to talk to local authorities in both cases.
• Both Martin and Brown had their social media history scrubbed.
• Both Martin and Brown had their juvenile criminal records sealed.
• Initial statements from police were that both Brown and Martin threw the first confrontational punch.
• President Obama made a highly public statement in both cases.
• Both shootings happened in an election year.
• Both shootings preceded requests for legislative changes.
• Media initially claimed both Trayvon and Brown were shot in the back.
• Media ignore, overlook, or initially don’t question the injuries sustained by the shooter.
• The issue in Trayvon Martin case was whether lethal force was necessary, but that discussion was buried under the racial elements (both of Zimmerman being white and Trayvon being black). The issue here is also whether a police officer had a right to defend himself, but that investigation is completely buried by the issue of race.
• Both Martin and Brown came from broken families, yet both were sold to media -by Crump- as intact family units.
• In both events, Howard University (dream defenders) at the heart of the national media narrative.
• In both events Ben Crump accused the police of a cover-up.
• Benjamin Crump immediately says he’s going to have a second autopsy.
• Both Martin and Brown had false narrative about how long their body was unattended. Brown meme was “laid in the street for hours”. Martin meme was “laid in morgue unidentified for 3 days”.
• Both families immediately had T-Shirts printed up with catch phrases. “Justice for Trayvon” (trademarked by Sybrina Fulton), and “Hands Up Don’t Shoot” for Mike Brown.
• In both events the New Black Panther Party was handing out flyers within 24 hours.
• Both Martin and Brown had quick narrative constructed of personality “good kid”, “aspiring astronaut”, “no trouble”, etc.
• Both Martin and Brown were black.
• Both Martin and Brown were unemployed.
• Initial media physical descriptions of both Martin and Brown were horribly false and unchallenged due to “child” narrative affixed to both.
Reader Fantasia has a great summary:
For me, aside from those listed above, is the media glaringly obvious tactics, especially now, they appear to be aiming for the Chief of Police. He will be made to be beleagured, which started on Thursday, when ‘higher authorities’ didn’t like how he was handling the town security, and came in and took over. By this weekend, Monday at the latest, he will be asked, or forced, to resign.
The rest, mostly the media play, is going the same way as Sanford in 2012.
Ignoring the facts, and unfortunately, what appears to be, purposely fanning the flames.
Me, above all people, found myself actually defending Al Jazeera after hearing a radio statement this evening that, in fact, the police did not fire on them intentionally, but rather they had approached the SWAT and police and asked for help.
Sadly, in their publicly printed statement, that I have been able to find thus far, the explanation is all but absent. It’s there, buried, and barely findable.
They did this with Trayvon, as well.
The facts were silenced, buried, and simply not spoken of, until Zimmerman was aquitted.
Then, suddenly, there was a media storm wanting to “present the facts”. Where were they, in the preceeding months?
I am seeing this same replay, and it is simply infuriating me. We have the ever absent pResident making a statement from Martha’s Vinyard while Ferguson, Mo. burns.
Next, Not My People Holder is begging the question, “Where did the po po get the hum vee?!”
It couldn’t have been from the .gov, or DHS, right Eric? Because expressing the knowledge that the Feds armed those po po’s would make The Holder of Peace look not so good to His Peoples.
Instead, the media is doing what they do best. Inflaming, obfuscating, and making things appear as they are NOT. The “peaceful protestors” throwing Molotov cocktails dare not make the news, lest anyone think that animals should be treated as animals.
No, no matter the manner of death of Michael Brown, which we do not know yet the circumstances, it matters not, and does not allow special privileges to loot drawn along racial lines.
They protest, “We want to be treated like humans!”, but, fail to act like one. What, exactly, do they expect? Well, I can answer that, too.
I harken back to the recent story where the woman tells the press after her son was gunned down after waiving a gun around, and the police pull up. “He shouldn’t have gotten out of his car!”, she proclaimed of the cop.
So, like George, who shouldn’t have gotten out of his car, the cop was gunned down, and the blame was placed on him for getting out.
This cop, they claim, didn’t get out of his car. He was remanded to stay ‘On Plantation’ by Michael Brown, and even that wasn’t enough. The officer has evidently suffered injuries, just like George Zimmerman, but that matters not.
We should stay on Plantation, not get out of your cars, and even when assaulted inside our cars, now we are to just sit and die. Does anyone see the progression, here?
Then today, because of the racial imbalance of the police force, they are calling for changes.
Can they find anyone to pass the PD test? How many generations have grown up on welfare here? Are they going to bus in police? I can promise you, even black officers don’t want to work there. The risk is high, the pay is low, and they know this. How again, is this going to “bring people together”, when even officials side with the black grievance industry, and say there are not enough black officers?
How does that make the white officers look? If I was an officer there, I would quit. They just allowed, in fact encoraged, that entire community to disrespect that police force because it is predominantly white? Why is this okay? Who said that whites cannot comminucate with blacks, even get along? They just destroyed all of that.
So, progression, IMO, is happening on the script, not just the script, but they are taking advantage to add on and change it where and when possible.
The media, however, are highly to blame for much of it, hence one good reason to keep them out.
I can also point to a tweet in that redditor live link, where tonight a reporter states his videographer was punched in the head four times, and told to leave.
The people in Ferguson don’t want the media there, because they don’t want to be exposed. The people in Ferguson don’t want them there, because they see the media lying, and not showing how among the peaceful, the animals hunt.
Just as in Gaza, just as been said here. Indeed, there are two factions here, but why can’t the peaceful calm people understand that safety and security come first, and even you do not control the animals amongst you?
I saw a tweet, “Someone threw a water bottle at police. The crowd was not pleased.” Oh, give me a barf bag. Now, they are playing to the cameras. Nights before, that was the catalyst. Tonight, for the media, they “tsk tsk”, shaking their heads and pretend to join the 21 Century.
Just wait until your backs are turned.