Friday September 18th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to Friday September 18th – Open Thread

1. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Enriched in Utterance and Knowledge

By Pastor Paul M. Sadler

“I’m a little foggy on the meaning of this passage. ‘That in everything ye are enriched by Him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge; Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you’ (I Cor. 1:5,6).”

The key to understanding this passage is to remember that Paul was writing to the Corinthians during the transition period. The apostle was showing them how they had been enriched by the Lord when He imparted to them the supernatural gift of tongues (utterance) to communicate Paul’s gospel, and the gift of knowledge that they might more fully understand the will of God (I Cor. 12:4-11). This is confirmed for us in the very next verse where Paul said to them, “So that ye come behind in no gift” (I Cor. 1:7). These miraculous gifts were the “testimony of Christ” that was confirmed in them. This was a demonstration that God was now working among the Gentiles. Thus we are introduced by the Apostle Paul to a new creation, which is the Church, the Body of Christ.

Once the Body of Christ was established in the faith, and the Word of God was completed by Paul (i.e., the Mystery), the supernatural sign gifts of the Acts period ceased (I Cor. 13:8-11 cf. Col. 1:25,26). God has replaced these gifts with something infinitely better: faith, hope, and love (I Cor. 13:13). Subsequently, if you want to know the will of God for this present age you must turn to Paul’s epistles for guidance. This is also true as you live for Him day by day

1Corinthians 1:5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge; 6 Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:

1Cor 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

1Corinthians 1:7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:

1Cor 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Colossians 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; 26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

1Cor 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

• TMonroe says:

“The key to understanding this passage is to remember that Paul was writing to the Corinthians during the transition period. … Once the Body of Christ was established in the faith, and the Word of God was completed by Paul (i.e., the Mystery), the supernatural sign gifts of the Acts period ceased (I Cor. 13:8-11 cf. Col. 1:25,26). … Subsequently, if you want to know the will of God for this present age you must turn to Paul’s epistles for guidance.”

This perspective is interesting given other postings here from this group from another Pastor Sadler:

There, the other Pastor Sadler asserted that “Paul says that the things he wrote to the Corinthians, and to the Body of Christ as a whole, were the “commandments of the Lord”!” In 1 Cor. 11, Paul discussed the manner in which the Lord’s supper was to be partaken, adding that “I will set in order the other things as soon as I might come” (1 Cor. 11:34b).

In Chapter 12, Paul tells the Corinthians that “Now concerning spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant.” Remember that per the author’s take on things, what follows would be “commands that are will of God for our Christian lives during the dispensation of the grace of God and “the doctrines of grace that the Church is built upon and is to live by and share with the world.”

What is spoken of in Chapters 12-14 concern gifts of healing and tongues given to the body of Christ (cf. 1 Cor. 12:9-10, 12-28). Much specificity and much instruction (or per the author’s take, commandments) are given, especially what may be deemed practical do’s and don’ts on the exercise of the gift of tongues in a church assembly setting.

So…

Which is it? Or perhaps, would both perspectives benefit from proper hermeneutics by not making definitive declarations that appear to read conclusions into evidently tenuous proof-texts — such as citing 1 Cor. 13:8-11 with its “tongues … will be ceased” snippet though the next part of the phrase (“if there is knowledge, it will pass away”) doesn’t appear to make cessation incontrovertibly apply to the current time?

• JustaGuyNamedBob says:

Is the purpose of this post to share the Good News or encourage the body or to correct some one or some group?

In any event it is all good because…

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:10-11

Perhaps some of us folks can meet up next week at the Prayer Walk next week in DC? May the Lord of Hosts be glorified!

2. KMD says:

Another Johnny Cash show gem, Stevie Wonder!

3. Ocelot says:

I definitely want to support Conservative movie makers etc, but I’ll have to watch it at “On Demand” as its not playing at my local Cineplex.

4. Garrison Hall says:

Hurricane Harvey saw hundreds of people bring bass boats to Houston to get busy rescuing stranded people. Similarly people in Oregon, bringing their own equipment, have gone to work—on their own—to fight the rampaging fires and saving lives and property. We’re Americans dammit, we don’t need the government bureaucrats tell us what to do. We just get to work and do the job. These people are genuine American heroes. When the songs are sung and the stories told, they will be remembered.

And make no mistake about it. Despite what the talking heads say, these fires were set by arsonists.

• Michael Fox says:

Thanks for posting this, Garrison!

I love these folks! That’s the heart of America right there!

I feel just a little silly from sudden moisture in my ocular region. I’m sure it’s from all the onions I cut today for taco soup tomorrow.

5. citizen817 says:

6. Charlotte Powell Brooks says:

Baby Lives Matter.

7. Sepp says:

. . . but deliver us from the Evil One.

8. Sepp says:

Prayer of Saint Ioannikios the Great (+ 846)

My hope is the Father, my refuge the Son, my protection the Holy Spirit. O Holy Trinity, glory to Thee.

9. Dora says:

10. Dora says:

11. Dora says:

12. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

• Simple Citizen says:

Roll Call !

Mornin’ WeeWeed!

Great day to be an infidel!

Now if we could just tell the collective DEMs to be gone before a house falls on their heads, we would be even further out of the woods.

Thanks for the funny image; makes a ton of sense right now.

Did you know that a majority of that story’s symbolism is about economics. The original slippers were silver, the road gold, and Mr. Baum was writing about traveling down a path of sound money, no fiat currency.

Have a good Friday.

• WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ Citizen!

• mandy says:

Wow. Not many people know that the Wizard of Oz is about the gold standard!

Austrian School, I presume?

• Simple Citizen says:

Mandy,

Not exactly. The concept is rooted in the fights of our own Congress regarding the utilization of fiat specie dating from the Greenback, the gold standard and bi-metalism as a means for the nation to allow silver a greater role in our economy, since we had a greater supply.

Mr. Baum was a believer in bi-metalism in our economic mix to make the economy more fair for the average citizen and less a banker monopoly through the manipulation of gold. Further, Mr. Baum was a believer in Representative William Jennings Bryan, and was heavily impacted by the Congressman’s “Cross of Gold Speech”.

As all of you probably know, the ruby slippers were originally silver in the story. Gold made a rode, but silver allowed us to walk into the future, foot in slipper. The two create a future (a road forward and a means for us to walk forward in balance). The ruby slippers was used in the movie to debut technicolor and give a little pizazz tot he film.

Now I can confirm the above information, but I have hypothesized (without any proof) that the green witch represented the Greenback, which was denoted by evil and melted with water (as paper melts in water, but gold, as well as silver, do not).

Thanks for your response.

Best,
          Simple Ctizen

• Michael Fox says:

Love it, Citizen!

“Follow the yellow ‘brick’ road.”

It would be wonderful if we returned to the yellow brick road in President Trump’s second term.

Especially since so many people have found or restored their brains, hearts and courage during the resurgence of American patriotism and REAL hard work because of our wonderful President.

No need to go to Oz to find the “wizard” behind the curtain. Most of us know who that is.

• Simple Citizen says:

Mr. Fox,

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately and respectfully, it would be very hard to return to a gold and / or silver standard, without serious intervention on the part of Congress to back the President. Since the utter bankruptcy of our nation during FDR’s administration, which coincided with the illegal confiscation of citizen owned gold, we have been on a slippery slope and borrowed time.

Nixon put the final nail in the coffin of the Gold Standard, and since then multiple laws have been utilized to weaken our monetary system (we owe what? 26 trillion or so). Although one President and some politicians have tried to slow the decline, we are now in cliff diving mode.

“Just all me Barry” had a chance to end the Federal Reserve charter, but he choose not to (we could get into the reasons, but it would take a while) and simply renewed it for another 100 years. The debt is the reason that Senator Schumer added the more recent tax for anyone (even of humble means) who gives up their American citizenship, and if Biden is elected, he wants to end the ability for anyone who has done so or will do so to ever return to the United States, which is why Tina Turner has held off on any plans for a new tour, before touring is out of the question.

So we can remain hopeful, but it will take a whole lot of prayer and bravery for anything to change our current system, and the coming “Global Reset” in January 2021 (I believe it is in Davos) is set to upend everything yet again.

Wish I was more optimistic.

Please be well.

Best,
          Simple Citizen

• Michael Fox says:

More optimism or not, Citizen, your intellectual honesty makes you perfect the way you are!

You present factual information that many of us aren’t aware of, so I always learn from your comments. Thank you.

And personally, I respect, admire and really like honest straightforward people who don’t look down their noses at me for being uneducated.

Now, as a side note, regarding our nation’s debt, in the not too distant past, I read we’re in the ballpark of two hundred and fifty trillion, if you include all unfunded liabilities, which insure social security, medicare, housing mortgages and some other various things that escape me right now.

Though they are a necessary “evil,” I’ve never been fond of insurance companies.

Too bad our government has to be one of them.

• Simple Citizen says:

Mr. Fox,

As always, you are kind and I remain very appreciative.

The debt you are referring to is quite right. My comment was simply to the public debt on the books, but the projections for commitments is right on target. Thank you.

Respectfully, we are up against history in terms of the future for the nation. The Roman republic did not last 300 years and would be number two in terms of tenure for this type of government. They succumbed to debt and then a Dictator was installed (I skipped the gory part since it is still morning = ). We may not be too far from a similar outcome, which will arguably leave Switzerland (a junior republic compared to ours by some decades) as the last true republic on Earth (again, somewhat arguably). Humbly, I do think Mr. Chalmers Johnson was correct in thinking that it is very hard to reconcile (both ethically and financially) a nominal domestic democracy, with an international military empire, which is where we find ourselves.

Insurance companies (like any form of company) have their pluses and minuses. As you stated they are a necessary evil in many ways and do serve a purpose. Plus if one does a bit of reading, one could (in theory) learn to utilize insurance for a whole host of private services that are not normally considered common knowledge (e.g. as their own personal bank, as a replacement for certain medical insurance through a Captive Policy, and even a reasonable investment vehicle through purchasing interests in life settlements). So, they can serve basic and other purposes, reasonably well.

Also, I do need to agree with you on the notion of government as insurance being a “bad idea”, because the tax payer is then struck with premiums, on policies they did not vote on.

thanks for the response. Good to see you here this morning.

Best,
              Simple Citizen

• Margot says:

That’s awesome, WeeWeed. I love it! Mornin’.

• Linda K. says:

Good one, WeeWeed!

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

Good afternoon WeeWeed
      TGIF!

• GB Bari says:

Good afternoon WeeWeed!

• dogsmaw says:

G’Evenin Ms WeeWeed 😛

13. Dora says:

Enjoying Breakfast. 🙂

14. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day for Friday, September 18, 2020

“If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.”
    John 15:7 (KJV)

15. An American says:

Unseal and release all of Obama’s personal life documents/records from the time of his birth through to his election to the Senate.

Requesting for an avid Obama supporter .

• Simple Citizen says:

An American,

Good morning! Hopefully all is well with you.

So, I see you post this request many days over a week, and I was wondering what you still wish to know about Barry that is not known?

There is a lot of information about him out in the world. As for records, I would suggest that whatever did not find its way into a “burn bag” is probably in stored in Iron Mountain and they are not going into the facility, to look for them, on our behalf.

As for the sarcasm of the second line, most Obama supporters question nothing, so I am not sure I get the joke, or is that the joke?

Either way, I wish you well and was just wondering what the significance of the repeated post is?

Best,
      Simple Citizen

• mandy says:

I see it as a reminder to all who read here that we have NOT forgotten the evil actions of that filthy demon to hide his nefarious history.

I like it.

Repeated posts are effective. Like Sepp’s “Deliver us from the Evil One” or Charlotte’s “Baby Lives Matter.” Or the unchanging parts of Duchess’ daily posts.

🙂

16. Dogsrule says:

So all you woke colleges and secondary schools out there who are claiming you have been racist for many years better take notice. Princeton, after a letter by its president outlining this racism, is now being investigated by the education dept. and has to turn over evidence of racism and where minority students have not had the same opportunities as white students. It seems $75 million in federal grants is at stake. I think this should happen to all schools who claim systemic racism in their schools and who now say they are going to fix it, and there are many. Why didn’t they fix it 5 or 10 years ago? I wonder what Princeton’s board thinks of this president? Gotta admit, this is delicious.

17. just stevie says:

HIS TEMPTATION AND OURS

“For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.” Hebrews iv. 15

Until we are born again, the only kind of temptation we understand is that mentioned by St. James – “Every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.” But by regeneration we are lifted into another realm where there are other temptations to face, viz., the kind of temptations Our Lord faced. The temptations of Jesus do not appeal to us, they have no home at all in our human nature. Our Lord’s temptations and ours move in different spheres until we are born again and become His brethren. The temptations of Jesus are not those of a man, but the temptations of God as Man. By regeneration the Son of God is formed in us, and in our physical life He has the same setting that He had on earth. Satan does not tempt us to do wrong things; he tempts us in order to make us lose what God has put into us by regeneration, viz., the possibility of being of value to God. He does not come on the line of tempting us to sin, but on the line of shifting the point of view, and only the Spirit of God can detect this as a temptation of the devil.

Temptation means the test by an alien power of the possessions held by a personality. This makes the temptation of Our Lord explainable. After Jesus in His baptism had accepted the vocation of bearing away the sin of the world, He was immediately put by God’s Spirit into the testing machine of the devil, but He did not tire, He went through the temptation “without sin,” and He retained the possessions of His personality intact.

Oswald Chambers
    September 18th Devotional

18. Michael Fox says:

Jack Hibbs is the pastor at Calvary Chapel Chino Hills church in Southern California and his guest in this video I’m posting is Amir Tsarfati, a Christian Jew and a major in the Israeli Defense Force.

Amir is well versed in the Bible and in military and political strategy. Jack and he are long time friends and they met this week for this video.

The video is long, about 1-1/2 hours, but I found it fascinating to hear an Israeli’s perspective about President Trump and some pertinent current world events.

19. Sepp says:

The Holy Prophet Zacharias and Righteous Elizabeth, parents of Saint John the Forerunner, are among the Saints who are commemorated today, September 5th on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church and September 18th on the civil or commercial calendar.

20. yucki says:

Flag of United Arab Emirates Hassan Sajwani
    @HSajwanization

Never imagined in my lifetime…

21. yucki says:

Hassan Sajwani @HSajwanization
    AJ+ think they are a big deal…

22. P says:

Looking for something different to relax with? Highly recommend these two very well-done high-quality youtube channels. Word of warning: Both are binge-worthy channels for sure!

Julian Baumgartner Fine Art Restoration (https://baumgartnerfineartrestoration.com/)
    “Follow along as Julian opens a window into the world of painting conservation, sharing methods, theory and the delicate work of art conservation.”

Fall of Civilizations Playlist by Paul M.M. Cooper (https://www.paulmmcooper.com/)
    “Paul has worked as an archivist, editor and journalist, and has a PhD in the cultural and literary significance of ruins.”

23. Just checking in from Lower Alabama. The real heroes in the world don’t play any kind of ball game! They are the guys and gals climbing the poles, cutting the trees, and restoring the power to all the people in southern Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. They are the neighbors who check on each other and offer any help they are able to give. I heard the sweet sound of generators and chain saws almost immediately after the storm passed.

Today is my son’s birthday. He messaged me from out of the country this morning (he is working) that he wanted me to get my power back on for his birthday present. He got his present! I got power back about lunch time. I have friends who live in Baldwin County. Sally destroyed 95% of the electrical grid. Please pray for all the people affected by this storm. It will take quite a while to just get power back is these areas.

24. SanJac says:

RBG has left the building and now the fireworks will explode

25. andeclain says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Please place Your Guardian Angels of Protection around Donald Trump and Mike Pence and their families as they seek to lead America back to You. Also, we pray for Angels to protect and support our Sundance as he works for justice and peace.

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

26. andeclain says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

27. WhiteBoard says:

cheer up
    we win-
    we are rare.

28. Mr_Mayhem says:

I note http://citizenfreepress.com/ is down 8:49 PM Pacific Time
    Kane, the owner, did a 2nd live interview on the National Pulse today, plus RBG died. Did it crash from volume or an attack?
    Just a heads up.